Uncategorized

This Thanksgiving I am thankful that Lara Trump is saying batshit stuff on Fox that I can quote

This is fucking diabolical

Lara Trump was on Fox news, discussing inflation before veering off topic and in to the culture wars;

Here’s a transcript, courtesy of Mediaite.

They have told us from the beginning that they want to fundamentally transform America. Well, how do you that? You have to change America from the inside-out. You have to take away our traditions. … ‘Oh, don’t have a turkey, then people won’t come over.’ Last year, remember, they didn’t want us to get together, so I guess we’re lucky they’re letting us have Thanksgiving this year.

How dare the libs try to protect people from COVID.

At really, the core of this, they want to divide Americans up. They don’t want us to have any common ground. They don’t want us to have any shared traditions like Thanksgiving. A lot of places last month actually did away with Halloween because they wanted to be inclusive of the people that didn’t celebrate Halloween.

Er, what? Can I get a citation here on this Halloween thing?

It all goes to fundamentally transforming this country, and the way you do that is you make sure that we have no commonality whatsoever, no traditions as Americans whatsoever. You start chipping away at that, and they don’t care that Thanksgiving costs a lot more.

So wait, the libs are trying to destroy Thanksgiving so that no one will notice rising inflation? That is indeed a new one.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving, if you’re into that sort of thing. I’m planning on shoveling stuffing into my mouth until I pass out.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

CrawlingKingSnake
CrawlingKingSnake
5 days ago

“American” = White yet again.

There IS a difference between some Republicans and MAGAs, it seems. Those Republicans who are not really MAGAs say “American” to MEAN “White” consciously, as a conscious ploy – or lie.
MAGAs cannot consciously do anything. They are pure petty resentment and self-victimization.

Republicans and their voters are the worst human beings ever, because they have NO excuse.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Uh….

(looks towards kitchen, where a ham is waiting)

(remembers earlier phone call with Dr. Baby Sister, who is doing tofurky again this year, since she and her husband are vegetarians)

(remembers husband’s family tradition of homemade lasagna)

Lara, sweetie, the point is to gather with friends and family and eat something delicious. It doesn’t have to be a turkey. Each family can have its own traditions, without asking your permission or getting the stamp of approval from some mythical Thanksgiving Committee.

I swear, these people get more and more Umbridge every year.

Mexican Hot Chocolate
Mexican Hot Chocolate
5 days ago

She was a producer on Inside Edition and is married to one of donnie loser’s idiot sons, that tells you everything you need to know about Lara trump.

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements
5 days ago

I don’t know about where you are, but both Thanksgiving and Halloween happened normally here last month, modulo a few more masks in the costumes and smaller circles of guests at the table than before 2020. Last year, too, again modulo smaller gatherings at both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

And who is to blame for inflation? According to all of my usual sources, wages remain crappy, unions are being told to tell the workers they represent that there just isn’t the money to pay them better, and meanwhile the rich CEOs are rolling in it even more than they had been. Seems to me to be greed that’s to blame. Business executives are keeping wages low, raising prices, and raking it in while nobody questions their right to do so.

Do you remember when we used to have something called “antitrust”, and something called “competition”?

rabid rabbit
rabid rabbit
5 days ago

I’m… pretty sure that places that do away with Halloween (other than for Covid-related reasons) tend to be run by religious fanatics? Like, the exact “Real Murican” white evangelicals who are the right’s mainstays?

Full Metal Ox

@Victorious Parasol:

Cooking Discovery of the Day: prying open a carton of oysters that’s been in the freezer, particularly after the pull-ring breaks off, is an Enrichment Experience—finally requiring a hammer, a bottle opener, and a fair bit of Mature Language.

(Chowder—also featuring shrimp, leeks, barley, king oyster mushrooms, green beans, green turnips, Napa cabbage, wakame, and white miso—accomplished.)

Last edited 5 days ago by Full Metal Ox
Alan Robertshaw
5 days ago

Can I get a citation here on this Halloween thing?

It is true apparently. Halloween not inclusive enough. But it only seems to be limited to a few places.

Elaine The Witch
Elaine The Witch
5 days ago

i got my covid booster and it’s fucking me up just as much as my second shot did.

Worked All That Out
Worked All That Out

Eat my ass.

Full Metal Ox
5 days ago

Um…didn’t the Pilgrims and their successors do precisely that to the people they found already living here?

Alan Robertshaw

@ full metal ox

This seems apposite; especially for the time of year.

Elaine The Witch
Elaine The Witch

@worked that out all

so, no intelligent things coming from you this thanksgiving? what’s the matter? did you have to make the turkey like a woman?

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Full Metal Ox:
Speaking of Pilgrims, taking away traditions, and this time of year, this is the regular reminder that there actually was once a War on Christmas in North America… with Christmas celebrations actually being banned in Massachusetts by law and a fine extracted from any lawbreakers. This law was passed in 1659, and it was the Puritans who enacted it. Literally, for several years, businesses could be fined for closing on Christmas Day to give their employees time off.

Fabe
Fabe

Elaine the witch

@worked that out all

so, no intelligent things coming from you this thanksgiving?

I guess thanksgiving is no different then any other day for him.

LouCPurr
LouCPurr
5 days ago

The school district I work for soft-pedals the Halloween stuff so that that parents who are Jehovah’s Witnesses won’t get upset. Some classes have pumpkins, but they just cut the tops off and scoop out the seeds so they’re not making jack-o-lanterns.

Alan Robertshaw
5 days ago

Christmas was of course banned here too, during the interregnum. Even the word itself was banned. Officially it was now Christ-tide; to get rid of the papist ‘mass’ bit. Soldiers were posted in the street to arrest people carrying xmas food.

Most people seemed to have ignored the law though, and carried on partying as before.

When the government looked like seriously trying to enforce the law the populace said “Sod it; we’ll have the king back then.” And the rest as they say, is (horrible) history.

.45
.45
5 days ago

Turkey, huh? Ham in this family. (We didn’t get the memo that Thanksgiving was canceled either.)

@ Worked All That Stuff Out Really Really Hard

Hmmm… Now that is the kind of witty and thought provoking insight we’ve come to expect from you. How ever did we get along without someone of your intellectual caliber here?

Full Metal Ox

@Worked All That Out:

Eat my ass.

No, thank you; it’s undoubtedly bitter and full of bile and venom.

Lizzie
Lizzie
5 days ago

Trigger warning for disturbing content relating to the Pilgrim settlers – http://hnn.us/article/181787

This article refers to white folks being paid for scalping indigenous people, up until 1885. I am ashamed to say that until reading this I HAD NEVER THOUGHT TO QUESTION WHO WAS SCALPING WHOM.

Allandrel
Allandrel
5 days ago

I am quite sure that “they are trying to take away our traditions” is conservative-speak for “they do not share our Real American traditions.”

Likewise, “they do not want us to share any traditions” means “they refuse to be exactly like Us, the Real Americans.”

In short, it’s the usual painting of difference as an existential threat. We are only safe if everyone is exactly like Us.

And of course, when faced with an existential threat, extreme measures must be taken.

@WATO

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Lizzie
Lizzie
5 days ago

Apologies if someone here posted that article and this is where I came across it! Sometimes it is difficult to keep track of one’s record of atrocities.

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements
5 days ago

OT, but could use a little tech advice.

Does anyone here know where it might be possible to obtain plain old ordinary headphones? No microphone. No wireless. Just a plain old 3.5mm stereo audio jack at the end of the cord. Compatible with pretty much anything (except for Apple’s overpriced proprietary junk).

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
5 days ago

At my local department store, headphones are stocked in “computer accessories” whereas headphone-microphone sets are stocked in “gaming accessories”. It was at first confusing to me, since I needed a full set and had never paid attention to anything gaming related.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
5 days ago

This, in the middle of a lengthy rant about how liberals are subhuman and scary and weird and Not Like You And Me, on a network that is rapidly turning into RTLM.

Gerry Sherry
Gerry Sherry
5 days ago

David, I think worked all that out has overstayed his welcome, can we ban him nowhere

lkeke35
lkeke35
5 days ago

This is another reason I don’t want their “thought wasps” in my head!
we ain’t never been together or unified as a people. After all, beating up lgbtq people, raping women, exploiting immigrants and children, enslaving and lynching black people and just killing Indigenous people outright, sounds pretty divisive to me!

All of these activities were some of Americas favorite pastimes, and statements like hers show not just a complete ignorance of the history of their atrocities towards others, but an erasure of “America’s” (ie. white people’s) primary “traditions”!

Nevertheless, I am a fan of Chris Rock’s saying that the current generation of white people (usually whichever is most current) are some of the “nicest” ones to exist in this country. Despite some of their more recent and concerning activities, I hope this is a trend that continues.

Alan Robertshaw

@ ikeke35

You’ll no doubt be familiar with MLK’s quote:

“the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.”

I’d be interested in your thoughts on that. You obviously have a much better personal perspective on this than I ever could.

FWIW to me, if that is the case, then it seems more like it’s one of those stock market graphs than a curve. Like, it may trend in an upward direction, but there’s lots of peaks and troughs on the way.

I mean, at the moment things seem to be very much a bit retrograde. I hope it’s a temporary thing, and that if/when the pendulum swings back it sort of over-compensates and that we therefore move a bit closer to the desired outcome.

Hope some of that makes sense; but like I say, I’d be very interested in your insights there.

Bakunin
Bakunin
5 days ago

With how the last few years have gone, the moral arc of the universe is a cold comfort

Last edited 5 days ago by Bakunin
oncewasmagnificent
oncewasmagnificent

Alan Robertshaw

I’m not as easy on this as I once was. As a boomer, second wave feminist and past union rep I’d thought for a couple of decades or so that we’d done well. Things were looking up – around the mid 80s to 90s.

Then it all seemed to be crumbling away. It was no longer a source of comfort or pride that women could now get their own bank accounts and buy cars and houses without male guarantors, but all those other issues – like, say, refuges for families fleeing domestic violence, were becoming more urgent rather than less. Unions and workers’ wages, conditions and rights were going down the toilet with a very loud gurgle. And race? We had previously been a genuine haven for Vietnamese escaping their tattered country. And now we were absolutely diabolical when it came to people fleeing the Middle East and Africa.

More recently, I’ve been reading a lot about indigenous society pre-invasion. I’ve been dismayed at my own ignorance. Worse though is raising the topic with friends and family members. All of a sudden people who are normally kind and generous can reveal themselves as being bigoted beyond my comprehension. I sort of expected that they’d be like me. I anticipated a lot of reactions like my own – Good Heavens I never knew that – and similar admissions of ignorance or bias. Not so wonderful, I’m afraid.

I like to think that things would be getting better, but – along with people still, after all the shocking fires and floods – dismissing climate change, I’m getting less and less pleased with our “progress”.

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements

@Excreted All That Out:

Eat my ass.

Don’t you think we should get to know each other better first? Also, to be frank, I don’t have a clue what you look like, and thus I have no idea whether there’d even be any attraction there.

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements

Oh, hell.

Looks like everything we’ve done for the past 2 years, the deprivation, waiting for the jabs and finally getting them, all of it was for nothing.

I need to know who I should be angry at over this.

And what I should do with what little time presumably remains to me.

bumblebug
bumblebug

@Surplus
Headphones: https://www.target.com/p/sony-zx-series-wired-on-ear-headphones-mdr-zx110/-/A-82273465?preselect=14139449#lnk=sametab

I need to know who I should be angry at over this.

Evolution? Anti-maskers? Anti-vaxxers?

bumblebug
bumblebug
4 days ago

My small family is doing our thanksgiving today because I was too lazy yesterday and it was just my husband and I. We’re also having a tofurkey stuffed loaf because we’re vegetarian. It definitely still smells like Thanksgiving in my home right now.

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements

@bumblebug:

Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s a Target store within my travel range here.

I doubt there’s much anti-mask anti-vax right wing conspiracy BS in Botswana. A better target might be greedy pharma companies who have lobbied to block giving poor countries patent waivers.

Of course, it’s too late now. Those idiots might just have made worthless the very same products they were trying to force poor countries to pay through the nose for … and doomed us all into the bargain.

lkeke35
lkeke35

Alan Robertshaw:

Im like MLK in that respect. I take the extremely long view. As a Black woman that’s how I keep myself in this fight no matter how f*cking tired I get of trying to convince the worst of us that they need to be better, or arguing that the apathetic need to care. This is how I stay energized. I take the epochal view. Americans are better than they were 100 years ago (I know my history!), and better than they were 75, 50, or 25 years ago. (Trust me. They are better!)

The process is slow and frustrating as all hell, because we want them to be better RIGHT NOW! We want them to be good NOW! The PTB want things to remain exactly the way things have always been, because they benefit from the status quo, and will fight tooth and nail to continue that, and if possible, turn the clock back.

But clocks don’t run backward. Time doesn’t go backward. They will lose. They. Have always lost. They will always lose because the world changes, and we are the ones who make that change. Those people are the wind against which we move. (Sometimes it’s merely breezy, but sometimes, like the current period, it feels like a hurricane.)

There was an analogy I read on another blog post several years ago which Kewish people may appreciate. When you begin anti-racism, (and most PoC have no choice or say about doing so) it is like being born in the desert. You can see your destination, and know where you want to go, more or less, but you know you’re never gonna reach it in your lifetime. When you’re a member of a marginalized community you get born in the desert, and your kids will be born there too, and their kids will probably be born in that desert. I didn’t have any choice about it, and I dont quit because every step I take forward, doesnt just bring me closer to the goal, but means one less step for those who get born in the desert after me.

Yes, we absolutely should be concerned and fight against the bad shit they’re doing right now, because that’s how you get people to do better, even if we have to drag a lot of people kicking and screaming into the idea of civility, Justice, and decency. Actually Black people will tell you, it’s a good thing right now that so many of them are being so blatant, because everyone who cares can openly see what they’re up against. All of these people are coming out of the woodwork all at once because the pressure that all marginalized people are placing on them, is squeezing them out. They’re showing us who their real faces. It hurts like hell but this is a good thing. And if we survive all of this, (???) we will come out the other side better than we were 20 years ago, or ten, or five!

Remember when drunk driving was an issue. It’s taken over thirty years but MADD made tremendous inroads in demonizing and even stopping it in that time. Remember when smoking became an issue. It took more than twenty years to reach the point of eliminating indoor smoking. It took over forty years to stop the demonization of marijuana use, and even legalizing it in some places.

I like to refer to this as The Vampiric Long View. That’s how I my mind works.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Surplus to Requirements, bumblebug:
As far as I know, Target doesn’t operate in Canada anymore. They absolutely botched their attempt at breaking into the Canadian market and lost a lot of money on it.

My understanding is that the mistake they made was that in most other non-U.S. countries where Target operates, the operator is essentially a franchisee with local people running it and Target supplying the marketing. When they moved into Canada, they tried to run it themselves, and ran into issues with different tax structures, different shipping requirements, different employment laws, and even different box sizes which threw off their shelf optimization system. The people who had set it up assumed they could use the same back-end system to run both the U.S. and Canada, and that wasn’t the case. From what I heard, it literally got to the point where there were so many things that had to be hand-tweaked to get them running that absolutely nobody knew what was going on at the large scale, because everybody at the store level had to fudge their reports to actually get anything done. The end result was a shambling disaster where nobody knew just how bad it was until it was several steps past recoverable.

And all because the people who started it completely ignored the number of differences in operating between Canada and the U.S., and tried to run the Canadian operations out of the U.S. rather than getting anybody local who knew how things worked.

Worked All That Out
Worked All That Out
4 days ago

Eat my ass all night long.

Chris Oakley
Chris Oakley
4 days ago

I’m thankful I’m not related to Lara Trump.
And that my high school alma mater won their annual Thanksgiving football game.

Fabe
Fabe
4 days ago

Eat my ass all night long.

And now he’s not even trying . How sad it that.

.45
.45
4 days ago

Awww… Somebody wants attention.

As for the latest variant, I’m not panicking yet. It sounds like it is more infectious and could slip past vaccines, but not necessarily prove more deadly. (And the slipping past vaccines is going to come up in the future as large portions of society remain unvaccinated to develop more variants, but infecting the vaccinated is needed for any given variant to truely be successful.)

Last edited 4 days ago by .45
Worked All That Out
Worked All That Out

@.45, Fabe

Drink castor oil and surgically attach your lips to your anus.

Fabe
Fabe
4 days ago

Whats going on here? Did a 12 year old steal His account?

Worked All That Out
Worked All That Out
4 days ago

You are very rude, narcissistic people. Your mental laziness knows no bounds, you expect to be handed things that are not commensurate with your actual talents, abilities, or willingness to work. You are all so profoundly mediocre, that it almost becomes a sign of distinction.

Fabe
Fabe
4 days ago

And now the IMAX level of projection.

oncewasmagnificent
oncewasmagnificent

Jenora Feuer
… the people who started it completely ignored the number of differences in operating between Canada and the U.S.

Hah! Almost as bad as the morons (can’t remember which particular morons, but it was one of the big hardware/homeware places) who tried to take on the Australian market. They literally treated Australia as an extension of their US operations.

So Xmas time … instead of beach umbrellas and swimming pool equipment for the 40C+ weather of an Oz summer, they stocked warm winter work gloves and snow management tools. And vice versa for our winter, their summer. Lost buckets of money.

.45
.45

@ Shirked It All Out

Excuse me while I laugh a bit. I will probably think back on your little talk of willingness to work next week when I am doing construction in 30 degree weather and laugh some more, so you have proved to be of some benefit to me after all.

I’m not joking. I was feeling a bit down, but you cheered me up here. I literally LOLed.

Also, I’ll pass on the Human Centipede fetish stuff if you don’t mind. To each their own.

TacticalProgressive
TacticalProgressive

@Worked All That Out

This coming from the MGTOW who’s whole platform is deluded conspiracy, empty assertions without citation, and straight up telling people to “Eat his ass”. Your attepts to claim that your dissenters are “rude, narcissistic and mentally lazy” is nothing more than projection where you falsely accuse others of what your guilty of.

But that’s the intentional point; you don’t care about actually seeking truth, fact or progress: your just a feeble little man-child who just hates women and wants to be an agent of malice and harm and vexation to them.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
4 days ago

They don’t make chew toys like they used to. The latest one broke after just a couple days.

Worked All That Out
Worked All That Out
4 days ago

Who the fuck are you calling chew toy? Don’t take that tone with me, that “hmm hmm sweaty *sips wine* chew toy chew toy hm hm hmm sweateh…” You can fuck right off with that horseshit, I’m not having it.

ETA: Eat my fucking ass.

Last edited 4 days ago by Worked All That Out
.45
.45
4 days ago

Ok, literally “LOL, what?”

1 2 3 4