antifeminism body horror creepy memes

Well that’s one creepy goddamn cartoon (Updated)

Even hamsters are creeped out

Rooting around amongst antifeminist memes yesterday I found a cartoon that threw me for a loop — a macabre vision of body horror disguised as a cute cartoon. At first you just notice that it’s a cartoon of a happy young woman on a bike — then, perhaps only microseconds later, you glance down and YAAGGHH WHAT IS THAT WHAT THE FUCK WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS LEGS!?!!

Here you go:

Somehow the cutesy style just makes this creepier. I mean, I watch David Cronenberg movies for fun and this is a bit much for me.

What’s even more unsettling than seeing this meme is thinking about the sort of person who could come up with something like this. Someone who sees #feminism and thinks: Yes that is exactly like if a woman used a man for a wheel on her bike and ground his legs off.

Well, that’s our lesson in art appreciation today.

UPDATE:

From Bernt, in the comments:

Long time reader, first time commenter. The artist’s name is Joan Cornella. I have read several of his publications, and I take them as an interesting though disturbing critique of the smug oblivion of ableism and privilege. I highly doubt he put the text there himself.

Also this, from Pazuzu’s Petals:

It’s a repurposed Joan Cornellá cartoon. Dude makes all kind of surreal, unsettling comics and cartoons like that. Some are funny, some are just a step or two up from stupid edgelordism. Dude has no particular political bent in his work that I’ve noticed. Some asshole just saw that and was like “omg #relatable” and decided to run with it.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Mexican Hot Chocolate
Mexican Hot Chocolate

Wha…?

GSS ex-noob
GSS ex-noob

Da fuq?

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meani
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meani
20 days ago

I can see this as a kind of Surrealism given how those elements fit together, but the message that combo of elements is sending to a viewer – no. D:

Angiportus Librarysaver
Angiportus Librarysaver
20 days ago

Aaaaand there’s something wrong with her face. Nobody’s lips come clear up to their nose, thank goodness. Did our artist think through whether a wheel replaced by a non-wheel would enable a bike to roll, anyway?
I need some brain bleach.

Alan Robertshaw

comment image

Alan Robertshaw

comment image

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
20 days ago

@Angiportus – I think those are supposed to be silicone lip implants? Maybe?

Why is the man smiling? He looks like he’s enjoying being an exsanguinated torso.

Ninja Socialist
Ninja Socialist
20 days ago

They do love to see themselves as victims (all while screeching about feminism has a victimhood culture)

Crip Dyke
20 days ago

Now if the rider of the bicycle were a fish…

Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
20 days ago

The guy seems happy. Perfectly happy. Is this because antifeminists are tragically unskilled with graphics and memes? Or is it because men actually would enjoy being the front wheel of a woman’s bicycle? As always, we must turn to evo psych for the answer.

Trying
Trying
20 days ago

There’s a series of cartoons like that. This is the first anti-feminist one I’ve seen; usually they’re just generally nihilistic, sick, and wrong.

Last edited 20 days ago by Trying
Battering Lamb
Battering Lamb
20 days ago

Those faces freaked me the hell out. The rest didn’t make much of an impact aside from ‘unless the dude is crawling forward that bicycle is going nowhere’.

Skiriki
Skiriki
20 days ago

I’m mostly startled because that style looks familiar to me and I’m trying to figure out if the maker has gone off their rocks (or if this has been an ongoing issue) or if this is photoshopped by some miscreant.

Pazuzu's Petals
Pazuzu's Petals

LollyPop
LollyPop

@Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@Angiportus – I think those are supposed to be silicone lip implants? Maybe?

I interpreted them as those lines/dents that run from either side your nose to the corners of your mouth, but extremely poorly shaded and accentuated.

White Rose
White Rose
20 days ago

I see, they are trying too hard to look like a victim. I thought they always said they are the “Strong Alpha” male capable of anything, or are they just claim they are being meek and in that sorry state of a being now? Which one is it? Just make up your ultra fancy mind please!?

Luzbelitx

Yes, I’ve seen them too!

And considering the text is in freaking Comic Sans I’d venture someone just slapped them there…

Last edited 20 days ago by Luzbelitx
Luzbelitx

@Alan

Ohh but do they…
comment image

Seth S
Seth S
20 days ago

The amount of sameface here is disturbing. It’s like the woman’s head was copypasted and they slapped a few lines and a beard on it. Or the reverse when they created the woman character. Is that meant to be part of the message here, somehow, confusingly?

Bernt
Bernt

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate
19 days ago

Off-topic, but I’ve been watching far-right heads explode over California’s new law against “stealthing.” The marital rape supporters are really in a tizzy.

GSS ex-noob
GSS ex-noob
19 days ago

I was disturbed by her face long before I scrolled down to the bottom. Just her lips deserve the headline David gave it.

@Seth S: I think you’re right. And so is Morbo.

@Katherine: I thought it sounded like a great law before; now I know it’s one if the usual assholes are upset.

clingfoil
clingfoil
19 days ago

It reminds me of Aphex Twin — was it the Windowlicker video, where people kept having his face..?

Trying
Trying
19 days ago

Aside, “Gutfeld!” Made the “men hunted the mammoth” argument on Fox, apparently.

Alan Robertshaw
19 days ago

@ clingfoil

Twas “Come to Daddy“.

Which, for a bit of extra trivia, was filmed on the same Thamesmead Estate as A Clockwork Orange.

Chris Oakley
Chris Oakley
19 days ago

“Creepy” is too mild a word to describe this cartoon. One look at it and Hannibal Lecter would be like “WTF?!!!!!”