alpha males beta males Dunning–Kruger effect kitties PUA red pill

Chasing those sweet, sexy sheep with The Psychopathic Edge, Twitter PUA

No, The Psychopathic Edge is not an unflattering nickname for the guitarist in U2. The guy who goes by this moniker is a pickup guru with several self-published books to his name and more than three times the number of Twitter followers than I have.

He likes to share his insights about men and women on Twitter. This is his pinned tweet:

He also tries his hand at memes, though he doesn’t seem to have realized that they’re supposed to be funny.

But mostly, he tweets. But going through his tweets I realized fairly quickly that he’s not necessarily as creative as he is prolific; a lot of his tweets simply repeat points he’s made in earlier tweets.

Also, he’s sort of obsessed with animals. Like lions:

And wolves:

And (more so than either lions or wolves) sheep. He’s really obsessed with sheep, especially when they are being eaten by lions or wolves.

How obsessed is he? Let’s roll the tweets. Lions first.

At this point it’s safe to say we understand the basics of his teachings. But it’s not clear he understands the basics of lions. Because lions don’t eat sheep. I mean, sure, they’re lions; when they get the opportunity, they’re happy to eat sheep or just kill them all in a frenzy. But they rarely get that opportunity, because they don’t live near large supplies of sheep. Mostly they eat tasty things like wildebeests and antelopes and other not-quite-fast-enough animals living in their territories.

But that’s not the only thing he gets wrong about lions.

Lions don’t actually live in jungles. They live on savannahs and grasslands. I mean, you’ve seen those Planet Earth shows right?

So what animals do eat sheep on the regular? In the US, coyotes and dogs eat more sheep than all other animals combined, but wolves are occasional sheep-eaters as well. So Psycho’s obsession with the eating habits of wolves makes a little bit more sense than his lamb-lion deal.

Dude, I hate to break it to you but that’s not a wolf. Or a sheep. It’s a tiger.

Dude, dude, that is also not a wolf. It’s a lion. Do you even know what wolves look like?

Ok, that looks like a wolf.

Sometimes Psycho can’t decide if he wants to be a lion or a wolf — so he goes for both.

Hey, it’s tough being the the NUMBER ONE APEX ALPHA PREDATOR in the room all the time; sometimes it’s hard to remember just what kind of APEX ALPHA PREDATOR you are. Not that it matters. Anything with lots of scary teeth and claws and eyes on the front of the head will probably do just fine. Let’s get out there and hunt those sheep!

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Dalillama
1 month ago

Not to be that person, but lions and wolves are both social animals with complex group interactions. They absolutely worry about social standing etc.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Dalilama,

I was just going to make the same point. It’s pretty hilarious that he would pick animals that live in packs and prides as examples of animals that dgaf about what others think. Predatory absolutely does not mean antisocial!

Although I guess it is telling. Because these dudes, as obsessed as they are with women (sheep in their analogy I guess) don’t really care how we perceive them. They’re performing for each other. Their pack or pride of other misogynistic men.

Last edited 1 month ago by weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
1 month ago

Lions and wolves that eat sheep get shot by pissed off shepherds.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
1 month ago

So what animals do eat sheep on the regular?

Humans, mainly.

In fact, while the relationship between farmer and domestic sheep is not a very good model for human male-female relationship, it’s perhaps closer than the relationship between unaffiliated predator and prey.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
1 month ago

The Beta buys their mutton processed from a grocery store, or perhaps directly from farmer.

The Alpha, just like a wolf, just goes to the farm and kills a sheep, without asking for the farmer’s approval.

Daughter
Daughter
1 month ago

It’s chilling that he can’t tell the difference between having sex with someone and killing and eating them.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon
1 month ago

This guy named himself well, really. Seems like he might have took a few steps over based on the screaming.

BE THE MOST DOMINANT MAN IN THE ROOM.

But is he the most dominant woman/non-binary/other? Is he really the most dominant then? I fought off two rapists by pure brute force before (not at the same time), so you really can’t say much just by being the most dominant man in the room.

Last edited 1 month ago by Big Titty Demon
Elaine The Witch
Elaine The Witch
1 month ago

Lioness do the hunting, the male is just the sperm dealer for making more cubs, infact if a lion can’t keep up with a lioness sexual desires, she bites him on the balls to make him perform. So if the metaphor is correct if you don’t satisfied your “sheep” she’s going to bite you on the balls repeatedly till you do.

Elaine The Witch
Elaine The Witch

@Threp

that’s what happened to the thylacine, even though they weren’t eating the sheep, the ranchers just thought they were.

Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)

@Big Titty Demon

Wow wow wow. I am impressed. Also, I don’t care that you’re a demon. You are my new role model. What is the name of your YouTube channel?

Last edited 1 month ago by Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
LollyPop
LollyPop
1 month ago

It always snags at my brain, their obsession with men’s sexual peak vs women’s sexual peak. Like it just feels like selling a lie to people, and I hope to god no one gives him money for his advice.

I actually agree to shouldn’t panic in your late twenties because of an arbitrary number and self-imposed timeline for “settling down”. But the thing is dating just doesn’t seem easier for 35 year old men than 25 year old men. And while maturity adds a certain allure to ALL beautiful people (Gillian Anderson springs to mind) there isn’t a magic age where all men become conventionally hot. In fact, the only transition for PUAs hitting their thirties is that the 19 year old girls they are chasing stop calling them a creep and start saying they are an “old creep”.

Believing anything otherwise is, as the incels would say, a cope.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 month ago

@Dalillama : I would also say I want theses people to be like the alpha wolf, AKA not actually existing.

Do we know of self doubt in animal ? It seem pretty natural that some or all would have that, given they do have anxiety, but it’s probably harder to find a way to see if it’s self doubt specifically.

… any experiment to check that would look horrific tho.

Robert Haynie
Robert Haynie
1 month ago

You know, when I read the title caption to this entry, I assumed that the subject was going to be a followup to the previous entry, except about sheep rather than dolphins.

I mean, that would make sense, right? Sheep have had a long, storied, and often hilarious history as surrogates for human women. I’d honestly expected that to be the subject. Instead it’s about some person who misunderstands lions, lupines, and women even more than the average lamb-molester understands sheep.

At least he’s not bringing in the capybara. Folks round here might really get upset if he started ragging on the cute fuzzy bricks.

Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
1 month ago

Animal abuse: never hilarious.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 month ago

Agreed with Kat. Especially because the Foreign Legion exist and their relation with goat isn’t actually hilarious.

(pretty much nothing is hilarious with the foreign legion, granted)

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria
1 month ago

It’s always fun when people like this go gon and on about how men need to live their lives outside of the society’s expectation, not realising that the whole thing seems to hinge on everyone else still living according to those expectations. What would the legendary jungle lion man do if women stopped being sheep?

@ Dalillama, weirwoodtreehugger
I thought of the exact same thing. I don’t know if it’s old information, but I’ve read that wolves are most efficient at hunting when they’re doing it as a pair, and mostly hunt as a pack so that the younger ones (the pair’s cubs) learn how to do it. While wolves can certainly hunt alone, they’re often less successful and in any case can’t bring down anything big.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga
1 month ago

Okay, so this whole “don’t conform” thing is pretty clearly aimed at neurotypicals. I have never in my entire fucking life been capable of conforming to social norms without a great deal of conscious effort, and in many ways, that really, really sucks.

You know what happens when a kid isn’t sufficiently sheep-like? The other kids treat you like shit and try to beat you up. And it goes on for years, never ending. It’s the kids who force you to fucking conform more than the adults.

And we’re not fucking lions, or wolves, or sheep, or any of that shit. For animals our size, we are ridiculously slow, pathetically weak, and remarkably fragile; the only reason we are an apex predator is because we operate in packs and can communicate abstract thoughts, which means we don’t have to relearn how to do shit every generation. That and we collectively killed off everything that ate us for food, and still do.

The kind of bullshit the OP is talking about got your ass killed back in the days when the collective we was much less insulated from the bloody engines of nature.

Basic fucking neurotypical moron.

Moggie
Moggie
1 month ago

FUCK societal expectations about belly scritches.
A cat doesn’t give a FUCK what anyone thinks.
A cat sleeps most of the day, gets food and worship for free, and poops wherever it likes.
BE THE CAT.

epronovost
epronovost
1 month ago

I have a feeling the author in question is a troll. It’s just too ridiculous not to be a satire of
PUA. That or that dude has found a fantastic grift selling motivational ramblings to insecure assholes who dream to be all powerful, but are incredibly average.

Moggie
Moggie
1 month ago

IRL, this guy is either a sex offender, or a loser who over-compensates online. Either way, not a good life coach.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@epronovost

Nah he’s serious. This sort of POV is not uncommon in my experience; this guy is only unusual in saying the quiet part out loud, and not trying to rationalize it to himself (e.g. “all women like being dominated, they just don’t say it”).

I don’t have much to add beyond that really. Men like him make me actually-seeing-red levels of angry, and that makes it hard to stay coherent and/or appropriate.

Alan Robertshaw

@ dali

but lions and wolves are both social animals with complex group interactions.

So are sheep for that matter.

Alan Robertshaw

Sort of related.

The RAF had a plane called the Vulcan bomber. It was originally designed for high level flight. However developments in surface to air missiles meant that they became vulnerable to being shot down. So they changed doctrine to low level infiltration. But the altimeters on the Vulcan weren’t especially accurate at low level (it was the same altimeter as the Lancaster bomber).

So the pilots started using sheep. They would observe the sheep’ reactions as they flew overhead.

If the sheep ignored them they were too high.
If the sheep ran away they were too low.
If the sheep just looked up at them, they were about the right height.

happy cat
happy cat
1 month ago

So, he wants men to be more like lions?
He wants them to run on all fours and eat raw meat?
I’m worried…

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 month ago

@Alan : similarly, *chicken* are highly social and much more intelligents than it seem.

AFAICT, all mammals have the basic layout to be reasonably social. Something like a fox or a tiger can rather fast learn to remember friendly face or trained to live with reasonably close animals. Accidents can easily happen, especially with the tiger, but they have everything they need to not do that, and the problem is more that we don’t communicate with them very well.

An easy example is how domesticated cat, who are close enough from wild cats to interbreed, actually are social animals with lion-like behavior (in regard to other cats at leasts), while the wild one are solitary and don’t like to interact with their neighbor

(contrast to, say, scorpions who are much less able to form an organized group without a lot of evolution on that direction. Albeit I would be careful to not call a scorpion less intelligent than a cat without first being very careful about defining intelligence)

Alan Robertshaw

@ ohlmann

*chicken* are highly social and much more intelligents than it seem.

Indeed. Take ‘pecking order’ for example.

Chickens don’t have to scrap with every other chicken to establish that. They can do the thing of “I can beat up chicken B, and chicken B can beat up chicken C; so I can also beat up chicken C…” etc. And all the other permutations thereof. Groups actually determine pecking order pretty quickly with the mathematically minimum possible number of fights.

That might not sound terribly impressive; but humans can’t do that sort of extrapolation until we’re around 5.

Last edited 1 month ago by Alan Robertshaw
.45
.45
1 month ago

Sheep or lion? Predator or prey?

Only Sith deal in absolutes.

Anyway, as a DOMINANT ALPHA MALE APEX PREDATOR, I would also point out that we DOMINANT ALPHA MALE APEX PREDATORS don’t give a FUCK what other DOMINANT ALPHA MALE APEX PREDATORS think either. So, fuck you buddy, I’m going my own way… ooops, that’s a different group, sorry.

Also, apex predators are predators that only eat other predators, meaning very few humans, and animals for that matter, actually qualify. Other predators are usually more dangerous and harder to hunt than random herbivores.

Last edited 1 month ago by .45
moregeekthan
moregeekthan
1 month ago

As my animal-based objections to cosplay psychopath have been well-covered, I will instead ask: If you are the super-duper alpha who doesn’t care what anyone else thinks, why are you constantly posting about it? Why are you even on social media?

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes
1 month ago

So, this dude’s a rapist, encouraging other men to be rapists. Usually PUAs at least couch their violence in metaphor or the thinnest veil of deniability, this dude’s just saying that all out loud. Egh. And I have a friend who had her twitter banned for hoping a terf gets the runs. Nice bird site there, jack.

@Big Titty Demon, you’re a hero!

@Alan, I guess that would be an ovinometer?

Alan Robertshaw

@ scildfreja

I guess that would be an ovinometer?

One of the reasons CJD wasn’t spotted earlier was that the lab had labelled samples:

A Bovine
B Ovine

You can see how that might have caused a problem.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it
1 month ago

This is sickening. That line – there are predators and there are prey – was the tagline for a low budget movie called The Freeway Killer – about William Bonin, who murdered boys and young men he’d picked up hitchhiking. In California, during the 1970s. He was executed in 1996.

Another sickening PUA video I saw was titled ‘Be the Ted Bundy of Pickup’. Some commenters asked the asshole to change the title.

moregeekthan
moregeekthan
1 month ago

@Ohlmann Personally, I would be careful to not call a scorpion less intelligent than a cat without first being very careful to check if there were any scorpions nearby.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

@MoreThanGeek : that made me laugh off loud 🙂

@.45 : that definition seem amusing to me, because it imply orcas aren’t apex predators (they eat mooses who aren’t predators, even if it’s not most of their diet) but dolphins are (they eat predators fishes almost exclusively). And yes, by that definition I am not sure I could name a single land apex predator. Probably some eagles and falcons ?

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Kat

I don’t have a YouTube channel. I’d get ripped apart on YouTube for being fat, and as being fat and muscular is precisely how I physically overpowered both men, I don’t care to hear anything about it. I mean, not that I would anyway even if I was just fat and no one ever tried to rape me. As a side note, one of these attempted rapes was in a pool by a total stranger (the other was an immediately-ex boyfriend), so 1) if your fat friends don’t want to go in the pool it may not always be body image issues, don’t push and 2) I’m living proof that “she’s too fat to rape” is not a thing.

As for why I’m fat in the first place, well, that’s to do with a medical condition and ten years of being molested as a child, so you know, not an entirely happy story where nothing ever happened to me.

Alan Robertshaw
1 month ago

Speaking of animals rejecting amorous advances; this came out yesterday.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
1 month ago

If you have to scream over and over again on Twitter that you give subzero fucks, you do, in fact, give fucks. Lots of them.

Following this “life coach” seems like a great way to wind up friendless, jobless, bankrupt, in prison, hospitalized, and/or dead. But hey, at least you were the dominant apex predator in the room for thirty seconds!

Dalillama

@Gaebolga

Also your namesake: the mighty pointy stick. With pointy sticks, humans fight whales the size of skyscrapers, and survive more times than not.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

@Buttercup Q. Skullpants

This.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 month ago

@Gaebolga : amusingly, your conclusions about mankind strength are the opposite of mine.

For starters, humans are relatively strong for their size. Less so than the other big apes, but humans both have more strength than the average animal their size and can exploit it better too. (the whole bipedal body plan have plenty of problem, but do help use body strength for unplanned uses).

But more importantly, humans are *EXTREMELY* resilient. Like, it’s pretty hard to find an hardier animal. (and that probably would be wolves, who use similar hunting technics and have similar reason to be hardier). Humans tend to shrug off a lot of punishment, and get well much better from grave injury than a ton of other animals. Which make sense ; the longer an animal take to get to adult size, the hardier it need to be to get there, and human take an abnormally long time to mature compared to most animals.

It’s easy to think humans only got here because of intelligence and tools, but intelligence was probably a side effect to other evolution, and very probably developed later on than predation, albeit it’s certain it helped to become better predator at some point.

Also, apparently there’s a scientific hypothesis by which early humans basically wiped more predator species during their 2 millions years time than modern human since the apparition of Homo Sapiens. Which, well, they had ten time more time, granted, but is still all kind of impressive and sad at the same time.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

Ohlmann wrote:

I agree that our intelligence was probably a side effect of other evolutionary developments (probably our social awareness), but my point was about communication; the ability to effectively transmit abstract information allows us to build off the discoveries of previous generations way more efficiently and effectively than other tool-using species who can’t communicate that way. Hell, technology is basically a by-product of that communication; once we started making tools, building on and improving previous designs would pretty much happen by default with abstract communication, as it allows that process to go much faster than it otherwise would.

Communication, transportation, and community are why we are where we are, and they stem from how we evolved: communication and community from the social troop/pack dynamic common to the great apes, and transportation as an extension of our ability to walk for ridiculously long times/distances.

My take, fwiw…

Sheila Crosby
Sheila Crosby
1 month ago

I am now thinking up various not-so-plausible scenarios where these tweets get read out in court, and he’s saying, “But it was just a marketing ploy. I’m not a rapist, that’s just my brand to sell books.”

oncewasmagnificent
oncewasmagnificent
1 month ago

I dunno ’bout anyone else, but if I chose to model my thinking-attitude-behaviour on something or someone I didn’t directly know … I think I’d do my darndest to know anything and everything about them/it to be sure they’re worthy of my emulation-adulation.

There’s no such thing as an “alpha male” wolf. For a while, people modified their reports by saying there were alpha male-female pairs dominating wolf packs. Finally – and a fair while ago now – they worked out that a wolf pack was literally mum, dad and the kids. The older kids grow up and stay with the family to help with raising the new kids and hunting to feed everyone including themselves. No one, but no one. in the family group is allowed sexual activity or reproduction apart from mum and dad.

They want those things? They have to leave the family and survive on their own until they can partner up and head their own family with their one and only sexual partner.

Some non-conformist. Monogamous family leader obliged to lead food acquisition for the offspring and partner and maintain family cohesion.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

@oncewasmagnificent

So “be the wolf” is actually pretty good relationship advice…

Trying
Trying
1 month ago

He sounds quite hypergamous.

He also strikes me as the type who will say “fuck vaccines!” and then die of covid.

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements

@oncewasmagnificent:

Sounds like they are actually eusocial, or well on their way to becoming that. Most of the offspring don’t reproduce but help raise the larvae and obtain food for the hive.

So much for the naked mole rat being the only eusocial mammal. The one big difference with wolves will be that there may not be an actual, physical hive easily recognized as such, because the pack constantly moves around within its territory instead of the parent pair, dependents, and caregivers staying put while the hunters fan out. And that in turn is likely because the pack hunting strategy works better moving around as a unit, vs. harvesting from scattered stationary food sources where the fan-out-from-central-hive method works better.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@Surplus

I have no idea if you’re right about that (evolutionary biology is so not my field), but the idea sounds like fantastic SF story fodder.

Another way IRL wolves are amazing: they’re adorable. And they sniff things. Adorably.

I feel like this is probably half the reason that dogs exist.

KayJayBay
KayJayBay
1 month ago

A lion does not have approach anxiety before he approaches a sheep to eat. HE JUST ACTS.”

*SHE JUST ACTS

Unless it’s a single male or group of single young males, it’s mostly the female lions that do the hunting.

Alan Robertshaw

@ cyborgette

Moggie
Moggie
1 month ago

@Alan, that octopus thing was amazing. And look at this:

What’s more, some throws that happen after intense social interactions aren’t directed at another octopus but into empty space, suggesting the animals might be venting their frustration.

In one case, after a male’s advances to a female were rejected, he threw a shell in a random direction and changed colour.

It’s an octopus incel!

Full Metal Ox
1 month ago

A crack evolutionary theory ex culo for you: it was <a href=https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/moon-moon>Moon Moon</a>—the memetic ditzy wolf the others are embarrassed to be seen with—who would take that pivotal step to become the first dog (“BuT bIG hAirLesS mONKeYs hAVe FOoD?!?”)