critical race theory misogynoir misogyny oppressed white men racism the wayward press

The real victim in the Simone Biles controversy is this white dude talking shit about her who got criticized for being a white dude talking shit about her

You don’t need a PhD in Critical Race Theory to notice that a lot of the knuckleheads talking shit about Simone Biles for dropping out of the Olympics are white dudes who couldn’t do a single cartwheel to save their lives. Piers Morgan. Charlie Kirk. Ben Shapiro.

Oh, and this dude, Doug Gottlieb of Fox Sports, who seems mad that Biles’ mental health isn’t bad enough to keep her from sports altogether.

“Let’s not mislabel a mental health episode, where you don’t perform well because of the immense amount of pressure over being judged as the greatest of all time,” he declared, “and a true mental health issue where you shouldn’t be competing in sports.”

Alas, CNN’s Brianna Keilar happened to notice this trend of “ignorant white dudes talking shit about a black woman who survived sexual abuse at the hands of former team doctor Larry Nassar and went on to become the greatest gymnast ever.” In a segment on the network she tore into Morgan, Kirk, and Gottlieb for their terrible takes, noting that all of them could learn “a thing or two … about mental toughness” from Biles.

The CNN chyron read: “White male talking heads question courage of Simone Biles.” Which seems like a pretty accurate description of what was going on.

But Gottlieb is having a little fit over it.

I dunno, dude. Perhaps they used that chyron because “white male assholes question courage of Simone Biles” wouldn’t have made it past the network censors.

Note: If you decide that for some reason you need to criticize Simone Biles, this clever little decision tree on McSweeny’s will let you know if you can.

H/T — Thanks to Mediaite for covering this controversy so fully.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Sinkable John, 100% resunk with fresh ingredients
Sinkable John, 100% resunk with fresh ingredients
1 month ago

Hi I’m out of moderation limbo, let’s give this another try.

@neets

My dude. Please show us your creative endeavors. Just to reassure me personally that they don’t involve writing – otherwise the system has failed all of us.

I also wouldn’t mind a glimpse at that support network of yours that you mentionned, because last I checked 8chan and incel groups are very much the OPPOSITE of a support network.

Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)

@Sinkable John
Welcome back!

Or is NEET a psychologist. Or possibly a psychic. We need to know.

Lizzie
Lizzie
1 month ago

I vote for Proneeteus to be ban hammered, not because s/he is boring, and feebly rude, because we can deal with that, but for threatening a member of the commentariat (Elaine) with harm.

Lizzie
Lizzie
1 month ago

I refer to this comment:
“why don’t you go get worked over by a pack of shiny chads so that your piss-bitch attitude goes away? You might become more pleasant.”
We may disagree with each other here, but we don’t speak to each other like this.

Sinkable John, 100% resunk with fresh ingredients
Sinkable John, 100% resunk with fresh ingredients

@Kat

How are you ? 😀

I don’t think he’s a psychologist. The sort of education you need to get in that field also tends to make you understand that just because you read that one chapter in a YA novel narrated in the villain’s voice, doesn’t mean you should start talking like that.

The job of a psychologist is to knock that sort of shit out of you. So I certainly hope he’s not one, but I also hope he has access to one.

Lizzie
Lizzie
1 month ago

I have emailed David re the ban-hammering.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
1 month ago

Terrific. Another consoomer leech trying to redefine their failure as success.

ETA: Thank you, Lizzie.

Last edited 1 month ago by Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 month ago

@Sinkable John : credibly he could have had studied psychology. There’s a fascinating subset of students of a field that very carefully refuse to hear anything that go against their prejudice. They also don’t learn anything so usually they aren’t terribly successful in their studies.

There’s an honestly baffling amount of them in economy courses and human resources school for what I have seen.

Sinkable John, 100% resunk with fresh ingredients
Sinkable John, 100% resunk with fresh ingredients

@Ohlmann

Thank fuck there is a massive discrepancy between “people who studied psychology at some point” and actual practicing psychologists. Not that there aren’t some pretty bad ones, but this guy’s below their level still.

Even Jordie P. wouldn’t talk like that, and might ask anyone who does to clean their room.

Anyway it’s kind of all moot anyways, this dude didn’t study anything at all. If he had, we’d have heard of it by now.

.45
.45

@ Prouseless

“There is an infinite amount of time for creative and intellectual endeavors amongst one of my disposition”

And this is what you do with that time? Your mother must be proud.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

Victorious Parasol wrote:

Times like this I miss Scildfreja.

Me too; does anyone know what happened with her?

OT: why do trolls suck so badly at basic English? Is it some sort of requirement for the position? “You must be this inept at grammar, logic, and persuasion to troll…”

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 month ago

If only we could light up a Scildfreja-signal in the virtual sky! :-s
(Maybe a big “S” on a shield? 🙂 )
I hope she is doing well, wherever she may be (goes without saying that she’s undoubtedly doing good).

Some Chick
Some Chick
1 month ago

Nothing really to add but does Purple Prose know there is no such thing as infinite time for humans? Like eventually, we all die. Just felt the need to point out that one bit of nonsense. Back to better people than me pointing out all the rest of his nonsense.
Also, anyone have Troll Bingo yet?

Scildfreja Unnðnes
Scildfreja Unnðnes

comment image

francis
francis
1 month ago

I am trying to figure out NEET is he telling us that he is supirour to us because he is on the dole (benifits) & lives in his mums basement?

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

How revealing.

I directly contradicted the troll’s nonsense about normies and, nothing. They whined about intellectual crap after that.

They also wished sexual assault on Elaine because they did not like their attitude. I’ve seen that one before. They are too weak to process the legitimate emotions of a woman so they appeal to sexual violence as a solution, a part of the social problem this blog is about.

Elaine The Witch
Elaine The Witch

@brony

Unfortunately with the kind of woman that I am I do come across these types of people a lot. My skin is pretty thick though. As thick as the calluses on my feet. It’s funny to me more then anything else. My favorite thing about these guys is they normally accuse me of marrying a chad. They accuse my computer science, dnd playing, magic the gathering loving husband of being a chad….. Because he’s a marine and can do a bunch of push ups with me sitting on his back. It’s so stupid and so meaningless like they are that it is funny to me.

Also just for some reassurance you can use she/her pronouns with me. I am still pretty sure that I am a woman but I will let you all know if that changes.

Elaine The Witch
Elaine The Witch
1 month ago

I would like to point out because I’ve been rereading over the comments and I notice mine said “prose pussy” this was my autocorrect because the original insult was suppose to be ” prose hussy”. Idk. I thought it was funny last night. But I type the word pussy more then i do hussy so my phone tried to help by changing it to pussy. This is like when it change “kitten in a hijab” to ” kitten in a handjob” and you all get a embarrassing look into what my text conversations are to my husband and best friend since this is what the autocorrect thinks I mean.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@ francis

Truly the greatest among us are always easy to tell apart from the rest by the fact that when they have found a fulfilling way of living, they start lording it over everyone else and being all smug about it.

Incidentally, I feel that I’ve probably been at my highest and lowest, regarding creativity and efficiency, when I’ve been unemployed with nothing to do. Never felt the need to tell random people on the Internet how cucked they are for wageslaving under a two-party system or whatever, though.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 month ago

@Elaine : theses assholes have proven time and again that they *are* willing to follow up on their threat of violence. Your skin is thick enough for insults and empty threats, but probably not enough to be bulletproof.

And while that specific clown is unlikely to swat you or find a gang to help him, the last two years have shown that one should alway treat their threats as serious in the sense of being worthy to be reported to relevant autorities, if they exists. Which is why I think Lizzie have the right idea asking for a ban.

And yes, their absence of substance mean they easily switch to direct threats. That one also ignored my message about how nobody is normal too, because they have nothing to retort to that anyway.

comment image

Oh jees I even typo’d my own name. I been away for too long!

Last edited 1 month ago by Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
1 month ago

Scildfreja! Good to see you!

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

Scildfreja!

I think I speak for most of the regulars here when I say that we’ve missed you!

How are you doing? Everything okay?

1 month ago

Gosh, I’m rusty at this! Please accept my apologies, ProNEETheus! I’ll do my best to be brief. I’m sure you have a lot of primordial fire to deliver, after all. Then again, I haven’t eaten today, and you’ve got a liver there, don’tcha.

Point of order, first, though. I don’t think it’s fair (or even very nice) to pile onto NEET for “living in mom’s basement,” gang (missed you all, hope you’re all well <3 ). That wouldn’t disqualify them from having a correct opinion, after all. No, it’s the fact that their opinion’s a steaming heap of nonsense that disqualifies them.

I’m left to guess that NEET is bragging about being financially independent instead of just being a shut-in, whether by their own earnings or the earnings of someone else. I’m sure they’re not a wage-cuck, are you, NEET? Maybe you’ve had a healthy 329-year-long career as an engineer and are now sitting pretty on a fat retirement fund. Or maybe not! I dunno, just spitballin’ here.

It is fascinating, though, how important that financial security seems to be for them. The foundation of their sentiments of superiority seem to stem from fiscal security; no cucking keeps them from capturing the peak of their potential! Their own person, unlike all of us. We mewling grubs, we chastised cucks; fit bait for worms and little more, to only offer fodder to our betters. Manipulated, capitulated, indoctrinated, spent. We sad masses, dosed with soma, grist for their money-mills.

It’s a typical posture really. Our society generates these sorts of attitudes. The illusion of meritocracy asserts that all success and failure is wholly earned, after all. When the financially-successful soul looks inside and sees a blasted shell of desperation instead of a deep well of competence and fulfillment it’s told it should have, it scrambles to assert the lie. I’m better, I’m smarter, I’m more worthy, it repeats to itself; all we’re hearing is the echo of that internal reverberation. The Just World fallacy is popular and powerful.

We all do that to an extent, it’s just what brains do. It lies to us, tells us that we’re better than we are; an evolved trick to compel us to survive in a world where sometimes reaching out to grab that high-hanging fruit is the thing that’ll keep us alive. Some of us shun that lie as best we’re able. Others embrace it all the more tightly. Like NEET here, asserting immunity to political and psychological manipulation, social superiority, financial dominance. Harden that shell to keep the cracks from splitting.

I’ll end with a little list here, a choral refrain.

Spiritually, it’s barren to separate yourself from others.
Financially I’m fine actually, though I’m legitimately grateful for the concern.
Psychologically, the first step to health is admitting that you have a problem.
Politically, your aloof superiority is manufactured to be exploited by others, it’s the hallmark of the latter half of the 20th century.
Socially, your social opinions are as manufactured as your political ones.

Have a lovely day my duck, I mean that sincerely! You deserve a nice treat.

1 month ago

Hello, Parasol and Gaebolga and just everyone! I’ve missed you too! I sort of needed to step away, to tame the brain-ferrets. They do rampage, but I think I’ve figured out how to at least get them back into their cage when I have to.

All well! I hope you’re all good too. I’m currently unemployed, but I’ve got a nice little nest of cash (which is what the ferrets are chewing on) as I look for my next challenge. Thanks for the career change, COVID! It’s been a bumpy one. How’re you?

Lumipuna
Lumipuna

Elaine wrote:

It just occurred to me that it’d be a nice match if your husband were a Navy Seal while you have the mermaid gig. Or better yet, if you were performing as a selkie instead 🙂

Regarding your autocorrect, I’ve noticed it’s often rogue but IIRC it’s relatively rarely lewd, sometimes unintentionally funny or “fitting” in a non-lewd absurdist way.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

@Scildfreja

I’m still slaving away in the knowledge mines, trying to teach the next generation how to write, wage-cuck that I am. Life’s been quite good to me lately, and the switch over to teaching online has been fun; I’ve been able to mix it up with a little asynchronous learning as well as the standard webinar-style lecturing. I’ve been drawing heavily on my wife’s degree in Instructional Design, and it’s neat (rather than NEET) collaborating with her professionally, albeit unofficially.

I’m glad you’re okay; I kind of worried when you dropped off the face of the mammoth.

…and I guess opposablethumb’s Scildfreja-signal works, so yay!

Elaine The Witch
Elaine The Witch

@Lumipuna

i sang to him “my jolly sailor bold” while in the mermaid costume. He loved it.

1 month ago

@Gaebolga, I’m glad to hear you’re doing well. Online education is such a hard job! Async really helps smooth that out, I think, though it depends a lot on the learners (and the material). A mix seems best. I hope you’ve hit your groove with it, ’cause it seems like it’s going to be around to stay! Having some teamwork with Instructional Design credentials sounds like it’d be really helpful, and I imagine it’s been a lot of fun!

I’m sorry about falling off the map like that. In the interim time I’ve discovered why I do that, it’s sort of a learned behaviour I guess. I’m trying to unlearn it! which is why I’m here. Also because I saw the big S in the sky. That too.

@Elaine, that’s adorable :3

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 month ago

@Scildfreja!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a perfect and lovely surprise, and what a delight to see you here again in the very pixels! Your name has come up quite a few times in your absence, as one bunch of us or another remembers things that you have said and how you have said them, and wishes you well 🙂
Hope you are keeping well, and may your ferrets be as tame as tame can be.

😲 🛡 🛡 🛡 😀 🤩

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

@Scildfreja

Well, online learning may be here to stay in most places, but given that Florida is run by a Trumpstain with a hard-on for letting people die, I’m required to go back in the classroom starting this coming semester.

At least he can’t ban masks, though I bet he wishes he could….

Snowberry
Snowberry
1 month ago

Off topic, but people like our latest troll are a reminder of a good, if rarely used, argument in favor of Universal Basic Income.

There exist some people out there who are so incompetent and/or disruptive, but in a less blatant way than “spends most of their life in and out of prison”, that it would actually be more economical to pay them to not work. Not all of them are lazy, some of them actually work really hard at being leeches or screw-ups. Sure, a lot of them will constantly yammer about how they’re so superior and deserve more than mere survival wages and demand all kinds of ridiculous things, and a small number will become socially disruptive anyway because they can’t live like kings, but it’s better more compassionate than exiling them to the wilderness or chopping their heads off or whatever else preindustrial cultures did. This won’t help with the wealthy scions who fail upwards, but that’s a separate issue even if those are fundamentally the same kinds of people.

This is on top of all the other benefits of UBI, of course.

Nequam
Nequam
1 month ago

It is good to see you again, Scildfreja.

1 month ago

@Opposablethumbs, lovely to see you again! I hope the things said about me have been good! I’ve missed you all, and try to stay around again. No work, so it’s a little easier to spend more time with messages!

@Gaebolga, oof. All my best to you down in the sunshine state, it’s quite a thing. Alberta’s pretty much a disaster zone too, but we’re getting vaccines out a little better at least. I hope that you’ve got your shots and that you’ll be able to take care of yourself when you’re back in the thick of it. Masks and a six foot cattle prod!

@Snowberry, hello again <3 I’m a tentative supporter of UBI, too. I do like a way to make sure we don’t have people out there dying on the streets, ensuring people have basic homes and food and whatnot, but I rather wonder whether it’s the right mechanism for the job. The whole system’s broken, and I don’t know if that patch would fix it. That said, I’m also a dummy and would never look an improvement in the proverbial mouth! I’d vote you for world leader.

1 month ago

It’s lovely to see you again too, Nequam!

Elaine The Witch
Elaine The Witch

@Scildfreja

Thank you, he rather likes it when I sing for him.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 month ago

One of the biggest effects of UBI would surely be the removal – or at least the massive alleviation – of a source of fear, that creeping, chilling, mind-numbing constant fear and insecurity that financial precariousness brings. And this in turn would enable people to work and study and take decisions without their brains being half-frozen all the time; relief from this level of stress might take a little while to kick in, but imagine what a non-petrified population might achieve! (which is probably precisely why some people are against it, of course).
UBI would be a better use of some of the world’s resources than a couple of willy-wavers playing with toy rockets any day.

@Scildfreja, defnit-ly yup! All good! 🙂

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

Re: UBI

As part of a bastardized Jovian Chronicles campaign I ran a few years back, I had CEGA (Earth’s governing body) running these sort of commune things that were mandatory for the population unless one could find employment that allowed one to pay taxes, at which point you could move out and fend for yourself. While I used it as a sort of fauxcialism designed to hide the autocratic nature of the state, I think that as a voluntary option, something similar could possibly work.

The basic premise was that each communal living arcology was self-sustaining and required 10 hours of assigned work per week from each inhabitant, all of which went to maintaining the arcology and tending the algae ponds and yeast farms (food supply). Obviously, a real-life version would require a lot more planing than an rpg setting, but offering sustainable collective living to those who need a place to live and a reliable source of food might work….

contrapangloss
contrapangloss

Scildfreja!

Good to see you, and glad the brain-ferrets are back in their enclosure for a bit.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 month ago

@Snowberry : I dislike the argument because it’s somewhat insulting for people who stay on UBI involuntary. Especially the comparison with prison ; I think prison *should* be a rehabilitation facility, certainly not a place to put people too “disruptive”. Especially since a lot of people that warrant prison are actually able to work, and conversely a lot of people that have trouble fitting in the workplace are so for perfectly innocuous reasons.

I much prefer the other, numerous arguments for UBI. Like the fact it lower pressure, both on people to conform to the workplace, and on society to find a place for everyone. Or the fact it allow much more easily specific vocations that are hard to monetize, like being an ascetic monk or creating a new language. Or the fact it simplify administration by a ton, freeing people to do something else than checking recipients. Or the fact it will make people in difficulty accept help with much less shame – a current problem with social help is how a lot of recipient are too proud to accept them.

Dalillama

@Gaebolga
I have a detailed plan for just such a setup, minus the authoritarianism; the only holdup is getting hold of a building.

Alan Robertshaw

@ gaebolga

required 10 hours of assigned work per week from each inhabitant,

There’s an Asimov short story called No Connection. It’s about smarter than average bears. They have a social structure with elements of that. Basically, everyone does what they’re good at; but there’s also a system of compulsory ‘community’ tasks on a rota. For all the jobs people might not otherwise volunteer for.

As for non ursines, there’s some interesting studies about life in the Neolithic. It’s been worked out that, on average, people only needed to dedicate around 8-10 hours per week on basic survival. That wouldn’t have been a regular schedule of course. There’d be tasks like building homes where the labour was a bit intensive for a while. But then there would be fairly regular periods with a lot of free time. One theory for all the megalithic archaeology is it was something to keep people occupied when they’d done all the essential stuff.

1 month ago

@Gaebolga, oooh, that’d be just like those darn Earthers. I bet that was the USE that was responsible for that, wasn’t it? Tyrants! And stay out of the Belt if you know what’s good for you!

@contrapangloss, good to see you too <3 i’m winning, so it’s going well, yes.

@Dalillama, hi! It’s been forever <3

@Alan, you old doggerlander, of course you’re talking about neolithic archaeology, lol. Honestly I suspect you’d find that “8-10 hours per week” holds up pretty well much later than the neolithic too. Our feudal forebearers worked from pre-dawn to sundown in the same way that our grandparents walked to school uphill both ways, I reckon.

Sinkable John, 100% resunk with fresh ingredients
Sinkable John, 100% resunk with fresh ingredients

@Scildfreja

Happy to see you 🙂

Fluttershy is still best pony.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Scildfreja:
Welcome back! Glad to hear the brain-ferrets have tired themselves out from doing the ‘weasel war dance’ for a while.

Re: UBI:
I read an article on the CBC recently that went with the idea that we should enshrine free universal public housing in Canada just like we already have universal public health care. That’s not a UBI, but it tackles more directly one of the issues that a UBI is also meant to solve. I suspect one of the bigger problems with that idea is that certain people will get the list of what housing is public housing and use that to discriminate in hiring or loan approval; I have little doubt some of that is already happening anyway.

In one of Trudeau’s multiple disappointments, he has spoken well of the idea of ‘housing as a human right’, but hasn’t really pushed for the government to actually do anything to support the idea.

@Gaebolga, Alan:
The residence I lived in while going to university was like that, actually; it was a co-operative (Waterloo Co-operative Residence Incorporated), the only permanent staff were the cooks (because that required certification) and everybody living in the dorm room parts of the residence was required to sign up for two and a half or three hours a week of jobs to keep the place running. This could include serving food at lunch/dinner, washing dishes, or mopping the floors of the common areas.

I suspect that some of the people who set this up originally were English, because the jobs like that were called ‘fags’, and everybody joining up ended up getting a quick lesson in the etymology of the word, because that was not the meaning usually associated with the word in Canada.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)

@Scildfreja

Welp. You’ve made my night. Good to see you again!

Snowberry
Snowberry

@Ohlmann:

I agree that it’s not a great argument for convincing people in communities like this one. But in my experience, if we want to get anything done, sometimes we need to tailor arguments to people with very different mindsets and worldviews than ours. That’s a faster way than trying to change the people. And you know that there are people out there that are going to be swayed more by economic arguments or the chance to feel superior to others than arguments about personal benefits, fairness, or “we live in a society”.

People who choose UBI or get effectively locked out of employment for bad reasons are going to be judged on the same moral level as those who are effectively locked out of employment for good reasons by some people, because that kind of bad attitude isn’t going away any time soon. Maybe not ever. Much as I hate it sometimes, working with actual humans to get important things done means appealing to their sensibilities rather than to higher principles which they may not understand or care about.

@Scildfreja:

Hi. I was a bit surprised to be acknowledged as if I was one of the regulars, but then remembered that I probably was more of one back when you were around a lot. If this isn’t a brief pass-through, then don’t be surprised if I soon disappear for months, though.

1 month ago

@John, hi! I’m ever so glad you’ve yet to be sunk.

@Jenora, i was actually sort of reluctant to use that metaphor because ferret war dances are so heckin’ cute. But yes they’ve settled out a bit! I feel much more myself these days. As for the UBI thing, I’m less concerned with the specific implementation of these sorts of solutions as I am the political will to get any of them done. Once we have that, the rest will flow from there.

@Threp nee Shadowplay, no no, you’ve made mine! It’s nice to see you and nice to be back

@Snowberry, even if you’re soon gone again, please know that I’m glad to have crossed paths again, and I hope you can carry those good wishes with you wherever you are going.

Tovius
1 month ago

Glad to see you back, Scildfreja!

Banananananana dakry: still fat and deranged
Banananananana dakry: still fat and deranged
1 month ago

*has a happy Scildfreja is back*

That is all.