biden reactionary bullshit the wayward press

Dandelion Whine: Right-wing media try and fail to generate a controversy over Biden’s weed picking

During the Obama administration — if you can remember that far back — the right-wing press got pretty good at generating controversies out of nothing — collectively clutching their pearls when, say, Obama allegedly dishonored the White House by wearing a tan suit. And them there was the time he ordered spicy mustard for his hamburger, like some kind of fancy-pants snob.

With another Democrat in the White House, you might expect the right-wing press to be pulling phony controversies out of thin air on a regular basis. And, to be fair, they’ve been trying to. But they’re clearly out of practice and so most of their recent attempts have failed big time.

Last week, they tried to get the crowd worked up over Biden’s plan to restrict the average American’s consumption of red meat to only 4 pounds a year — only to discover that Biden had no such plan; they’d been had by a British tabloid’s misleading story.

The right-wing press also tried to get Americans up in arms about the government allegedly sending copies of a kids’ book by Kamela Harris to children stuck in our border camps. Never mind that the govcernment never did any such thing; it turns out that some random person had donated one copy of the book to the kids in a humanitarian drive.

Now the right-wingers are trying to generate some sort of controversy over a strange but utterly insignificant gesture on Joe BIden’s part. Last Thursday, while walking to the Marine One helicopter on the White House laws, Biden spied a dandelion in its seedy phase, then picked it and gave it to his wife.

Now, I don’t know why he picked a weed to give to Jill. It’s a somewhat strange thing to do. But hey, at least the two of them actually seem to enjoy one another’s presence — in stark contrast to the previous First Couple. I doubt Trump would even bother to pick up a wad of dirt to give to Melania.

Is there any logic to Biden’s gesture? Mediaite points out that

[t]here is a folk belief that blowing on a dandelion can grant wishes, but there is little scientific evidence to back this up.

So maybe Biden was trying, in a not-altogether-serious manner, to wish Jill good luck. Or perhaps there was some other private joke between the two of them. Who knows, and more to the point, who cares?

Well, one person who cares is Newsmax host Grant Stinchfield, who had a bit of a tantrum after seeing the footage, declaring

Joe Biden today getting on Marine One and he stops and picks up, I think it’s a dandelion, but it’s a dandelion that hasn’t even blossomed into a flower yet, like that gives everybody asthma. So you blow it, it goes everywhere, and everybody starts sneezing.

Well he picks up the weed and gives it to Jill, that’s, what, I guess is supposed to be some kind of a sweet gesture. … I say it was a planted dandelion there, who knows?

Is he really suggesting that someone literally planted the dandelion there on the White House lawn so that Biden could see it, pick it, give it to Jill, and then reap sweet praises in the press for such an, er, romantic gesture? Maybe.

But he’s definitely not the only right-wing personality who thought something weird and devious was going on. On Fox News, Mediaite reports,

Laura Ingraham and Fox News contributor Raymond Arroyo spent several minutes mocking Biden, snarking that the president had given his wife a “weed” (a common theme among critics), comparing him to Frankenstein’s monster, and decrying the positive coverage that the gesture received.

“It was a sweet gesture, Laura, even if it was a weed, maybe the poor man didn’t know ,” Arroyo said, then joked “Look, at least you didn’t try to pick a lemon off of Jill’s dress, so this is a good thing.”

Fox News host Tammy Bruce, meanwhile, was moved to incoherence by Biden’s little gesture, complaining that the dandelion-picking moment

made the news. That was like the news. This is what we’re dealing with.

[mocking voice] He romantically gave his wife a dandelion.

It’s as though they want us to go into a coma, or do they believe we are infants and we can’t, we don’t know what’s going on, and look, I think it’s nice that when a man picks up a flower in some fashion and gives it to his wife, but he’s the president of the United states, it’s not the news,

We’ve got Covid, we’ve got a border that’s open, we’ve got big enemies looking at us and trying to figure out how to destroy us, and this is the news?

This would be a searing indictment of the triviality of so much political news coverage in the mainstream press — except that the only people talking about it are on Fox News, Newsmax, and, oh, did I forget LewRockwell.com?

“Have You Ever Given or Received a Bouquet of Dandelion Weeds?,” asked writer Thomas DiLorenzo.

I’ve never heard of it; have never seen dandelion “flowers” for sale at any florist or at the section of the grocery store where they sell flowers, or anywhere else. I tried to buy some on Flowers.com but with no success. That’s because it’s kind of like giving someone a bouquet of poison ivy or sneeze-inducing ragweed. It’s cute when a five-year-old child picks a “bouquet” of dandelion weeds for his mom, but creepy and demented when an 80 year-old-man does it. Especially if he’s the man who has his finger on the nuclear button.

But the media are portraying Senile Joe’s asinine picking of a dandelion weed for his wife as some kind of Romeo-and-Juliet moment. Dumb-Ass Americanus is said to be “swooning” all over twitter over it. Jill Biden has that “what an asshole” look on her face in the photos of the event on the internet.

Again, the only people paying attention to the dandelion moment are the right-wingers.

And even they are having trouble caring about it. I looked through Pariots.win — the Reddit-like discussion forum that emerged from the now-banned The_Donald subreddit — to see if I could find anyone reacting to the dreaded dandelion thing. I found only a handful of commenters with anything to say.

There was someone called Crucial8GB who declared

Biden has Dementia. The Democrat Party should be charged with elderly abuse.

There was Tobyrocky accusing the Dems of something like child abuse:

Typical mind of a 5 year old. They give their mom’s dandelions too.

And then there was orrvarpen, who spouted this bit of nonsense that I’m not going to even try to decipher.

Looks like a white rubber duck. And sleepy Joe has gotten gills, did he fall into the deep and cold water of well force one again?

I don’t think “Dandelion-picking Joe” is going to supplant “Sleepy Joe” as a term of opprobrium on the right. But it’s not for lack of trying.

We should expect the next phony controversy to pop up within a few days now. Let’s hope it suffers the same fate as “Joe BIden Picks a Dandelion.”

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Wez
Wez
9 days ago

Man makes impulsive sweet but meaningless gesture for his wife and people try to make a big deal out of it.

I guess they always calculate how a ‘nice’ gesture for the people they claim to care about will look and exactly how grateful the recipient should appear before they decide if it’s worth doing.

Xennial Dot Warner
Xennial Dot Warner
9 days ago

A “weed,” you say? How dare you. Dandelions are a useful plant; they’re edible, attract pollinators, and help aerate the soil, none of which can be said of the high-maintenance grass we value so much for our lawns.

Last edited 9 days ago by Xennial Dot Warner
Elaine The Witch
Elaine The Witch
9 days ago

Damn I though Biden actually gave his wife weed and I was about to get excited.

jsrtheta
jsrtheta
9 days ago

Someone should ask these nimrods to define “weed”.

Video responses.

Add laughter and enjoy!

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meani
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meani
9 days ago

Uhm, dandelions aren’t used in floral arrangements for the simple reason they ‘wilt’ too fast when cut (at best a day or so, I think). And those seed heads aren’t opened enough to be good for blowing on, either.

As for the right-wing press looking for controversies, back in February Newsmax went after Champ because he didn’t look ‘presidential’ enough for them.

At Champ’s age, he gets the right to be a bit rough around the edges if he wants to be.

.45
.45
9 days ago

I’d say it is unfair that dandelions are made out to be these horrific weeds that destroy property values for a three block radius. They are, as noted by Xennial, quite edible, and assuming you are not deathly allergic, otherwise harmless. Also, as pointed out by their denouncers no less, they bring joy to little kids everywhere who want to pick flowers in places where nobody plants such things.

I used to eat the leaves all the time as a kid. Stopped doing that when my family moved to town, as you never know what pesticides and herbicides people spray around, to say nothing of spilled car oil, household chemicals, etc.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
9 days ago

I have never heard of this guy, much less know what his show looks like, but based on the name and the context I just imagine the Stephen Colbert character Buck Tuckford. You know, the folksy, ranty rightwing TV host who invariably gets so excited he starts smearing some goopy substance on his face and hair.

Just to overthink this thing, is it uncommon to see dandelions on the White House lawn? I think that’s likely, if it’s a really high maintenance lawn. That could explain why a lone dandelion randomly caught Biden’s attention.

Incidentally, for the white conservative audience, a dandelion planting itself on the White House lawn might be a very powerful metaphor for Biden’s America, where neat, ordered suburbs are supposedly under grave threat of invasion by the unwanted, low-class, off-color people.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
9 days ago

I’m actually surprised that they didn’t make a scandal out of how making a wish on a flower is pagan satanic witchcraft. I mean, one day you’re picking a weed and giving it to your significant other and then the next day it’s this
comment image

Alan Robertshaw
9 days ago

Do you have the dandelion clock thing in the States? Where you blow on them and that tells you the time?

comment image

Nicholas Kiddle
Nicholas Kiddle
9 days ago

Dandelion flowers make a palatable wine. I’ve made it a couple of times, although it’s more effort collecting the flowers than the wine really repays. The playground lore when I was a kid was that they made you wet the bed, and they actually do have a mild diuretic effect.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
9 days ago

I see Grant Stinchfield’s knowledge of what true love looks like is matched only by his knowledge of botany. Seeds come AFTER blossoming, not before.

I learned from other people on Twitter that dandelions are considered symbolic of military families. I don’t know if President Biden had this in mind – possibly all he wanted to do was make a sweet gesture to FLOTUS – but the connection seems to have resonated with military families. After all, the Bidens are a military family themselves.

@Alan

I’d heard about the dandelion clock thing as a kid, but only in books. Where I grew up, dandelions were for making wishes.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
9 days ago

@Nicholas Kiddle, as you probably know, they’re called pissenlit in French for that very diuretic reason (or dent-de-lion) 🙂 .

Luzbelitx
9 days ago

[t]here is a folk belief that blowing on a dandelion can grant wishes, but there is little scientific evidence to back this up.

Wait, there’s little evidence? That means there is SOME scientific evidence that they do grant wishes???

Excuse me I need to go pick some flowers…

PS: Thamks to this post I finally googled how to correctly pronounce dandelion. Anyone knows why the tiny yellow flowers are called “Lion tooth”?

Malitia
Malitia
9 days ago

For useless language trivia, dandelion in Hungarian is “pitypang” or “gyermekláncfű”. The second one is more interesting as it literally translates into “child (gyermek) chain (lánc) grass (fű*)” which as you can guess is a reference to kids making flowercrowns and other plant based jewelry out of it.

*”fű” can also mean “weed” but exclusively if you mean the drug.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
9 days ago

Romantic gestures are supposed to be impulsive and unscripted.

”Weed” is in the eye of the beholder. It’s a moral judgment humans make about whether a plant belongs in a particular space. When you listen to the language right-wing pundits use when they talk about people, animals, or flowers, it’s clear their judgment of the value of living things isn’t to be trusted.

Nequam
Nequam
9 days ago

@Luzbelitx: I think it’s the jagged shape of the dandelion leaf that earns it the “lion’s tooth” name.

I’d also never heard of dandelion seeds for anything but wishes.

Sara
Sara
9 days ago

It’s funny that Stinchfield thinks a dandelion gone to seed is one that hasn’t become a flower yet. He’s got his flower life cycle all mixed up.

Elaine The Witch
Elaine The Witch
9 days ago

I’d rather be given actual weed from my husband then flowers just about any time.

also the dandelion thing, most people don’t actually think blowing on them grants a wish but you do make wishes on them or blow on them the same way you blow out a birthday candle. It’s more symbolic then anything else. Or like throwing a coin into a fountain to make a wish, or wishing on a shooting star.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
9 days ago

@Sara – He’s also mixed up about asthma. It’s triggered by pollen, not large parachute seeds bobbing on the wind.

Battering Lamb
Battering Lamb
9 days ago

To add to the dandelion-in-different-languages thing: In dutch it’s called ‘paardenbloem’. Which literally translates to Horse-Flower. Apparently that is because horses do not digest the dandelion-seeds so fields with horses tend to have more dandelions than fields with cows.

Last edited 9 days ago by Battering Lamb
epitome of incomrepehensibility

@Buttercup Q. Skullpants – Yes, and things don’t just “give” someone asthma all of a sudden. He’s also getting the dandelion lifecycle wrong, as @Victorious Parasol and @Sara here pointed out.

Also, just because this was bugging me: I was guilty of giving an uninformed opinion too, a couple of days ago. I don’t know enough about engineering and economics to know whether the Tesla company is *overall* good or bad for the widespread adoption of electric cars.

As for dandelions, when they’re around I sometimes make a “fancy” sandwich with tuna, chopped celery, dandelion petals, curry powder, and mayo. It’s a bit finicky to chop the yellow parts of the petals, but it gives things a nice yellow colour and goes well with the curry. (I’m sure it’d taste good with scrambled eggs too, but I don’t know the best vegan equivalent.)

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria
9 days ago

When I was little, my mother told me not to pick dandelions because their sap would stain my clothes, so in that sense I might understand if giving one to a lady was somehow a faux pas, but also, an adult would probably know to watch out for that.

It’s very strange to say that you shouldn’t give a dandelion to anyone because you can’t buy them at a florist’s. Wildflowers are a thing. Sometimes they might even be preferred.

Re: dandelion names
The Finnish name is voikukka, which means butter flower, probably because of the colour. In Swedish it’s maskros, so a worm flower. Apparently some Swedish-speaking Finns have started to call it smörblomma (butter flower in Swedish), which is potentially unfortunate since smörblomma is the Swedish name for Ranunculus acris, which is not good to eat.

Last edited 9 days ago by Masse_Mysteria
Lumipuna
Lumipuna
9 days ago

Wishing while blowing dandelion seeds might very well work if you wish for more dandelions growing nearby.

I don’t bother to really collect dandelion flowers, but I do sometimes snack on them when walking outdoors in late spring/early summer. They have a nice fresh taste with a hint of sweetness.

In Finnish dandelion is voikukka, “butterflower”. AFAIK it could be a color association, or maybe dandelions did historically provide good early spring fodder for the cattle, stimulating milk production after winter. Another common, highly edible spring shoot weed is the fireweed, whose name in Finnish and Swedish is directly associated with milk for the aforementioned reason.

Chamaenerion angustifolium – Wikipedia

A famous (in Finland) 1988 pop song portrays fireweed blossom as the “bad boy’s rose”; something a jobless, reckless and romantically opportunistic man might give you as a semi-ironic romantic gift. I also know a woman who sometimes picks fireweed blossom by herself to put in a vase, while receiving more bourgeois gifts from her husband.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
9 days ago

Apparently some Swedish-speaking Finns have started to call it smörblomma (butter flower in Swedish), which is potentially unfortunate since smörblomma is the Swedish name for Ranunculus acris, which is not good to eat.

Ranunculus is also called buttercup in English, while the North American milkweed is even more poisonous (and not closely related to fireweed).

Karalora
Karalora
9 days ago

The antipathy toward dandelions has much more to do with classism and capitalism than anything about the plants themselves. As has been noted upthread, the leaves are edible as a salad green and the flowers can be made into wine. The roots can be dried and made into tea. They should be a staple of every vegetable garden. The reason they aren’t is that they grow and spread so effortlessly that capitalism can’t easily exploit them. So it demonizes them. Don’t grow this handy food plant, says the lawn and garden industry. Instead grow high-maintenance grass (we’ll sell you everything you need). Show off your wealth by wasting fertile land on an expensive monoculture that gives absolutely nothing back. And if anything else should take root in your lawn, it’s a WEED and we will sell you what you need to get rid of it.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
9 days ago

All this talk about dandelions and butter reminds me of another childhood custom, where you’d hold a blooming dandelion against another child’s chin to see if they liked butter.

Speaking of alternative names, my grandmother used to call them “the devil’s weed” because their roots are notoriously long, reaching all the way down to Hell. Naturally this meant I tried to see how long a root I could pull out of the ground before it snapped.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
9 days ago

@Karalora : might be a cultural thing too. I never heard of people wanting to get rid of dandelion where I lived.

Note that dandelions will grow everywhere, but won’t grow in particulary large amount more easily than actual garden plants, so if I want a garden I would rather get something like basilic or mint which tend to participate more to flavor (depending on what can grow where you live ofc).

(it’s a bit excessive to pin down dandelion hate to capitalistic excess. Remember middle age farmers didn’t exactly grew huge dandelions field either, and while edible I wouldn’t say it’s particulary special compared to other salads and the like)

Alan Robertshaw

@ Vicky P

Ah, over here that’s done with buttercups.

As for the ‘weed’ discussion. I’m loving it that re-wilding is taking off here. Obviously we need that for practical survival reasons; but it’s also just nice to look at and sense generally.

There’s incentives to do that now in the private sector. Things like advantageous planning consent etc.

A lot of churchyards now dedicate at least some bits to just letting things grow wild; and our local authority is very good at it too. And they put little insect houses everywhere. I much prefer a big overgrowth with all sorts of flowers than neatly trimmed grass verges.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@ Lumipuna

Ranunculus is also called buttercup in English,

I hadn’t thought of that. I think it was one of my Swedish teachers who said that this thing had to do with literal translations of Finnish names specifically. Maybe something to do with how people nowadays don’t recognize as many plants as before, so the plant names might start becoming specialized vocabulary or something.

Incidentally, Chamaenerion angustifolium (fireweed) is also good eating. I remember using the leaves in salad back when I lived in a place where it was easy to get (not too close to a road or some such).

Dalillama
9 days ago

The landlord came and cut down our mint & clover because there were dandelions. We’ve put down seed balls of native flowers, but it’s been damnable dry this spring.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
9 days ago

That sounds cool – letting people push daisies in peace.

(or cow parsley, as in Finnish version of the saying)

Alan Robertshaw

@ lumipuna

letting people push daisies in peace.

Heh, quite.

I do like the more natural look I have to confess; and I’m someone who loves Japanese gardens.

comment image

But the roads are a lot nicer now too. It also makes economic sense. The council say this is cheaper than maintaining the old verges.

Bookworm in hijab
Bookworm in hijab

Lumipuna,

the North American milkweed is even more poisonous

Ooh, I hadn’t known that! I’m assuming it’s only poisonous if you eat it? I was going to plant a bunch to encourage monarch butterflies.

My favourite-not-favourite dandelion story is that my daughter once picked me a lovely bouquet of the things…and only once I’d carried them inside did I see the enormous yellow orb-weaver that had hitched a ride on them. I’m not scared of spiders but that thing was two inches from my nose.

In terms of mint, is anyone else here familiar with apple mint? It’s got big downy leaves and a much less “sharp” flavour than many mints seem to.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon
9 days ago

I mean, Dr. Biden doesn’t actively hate her husband and slap him away any time he tries to touch her. Maybe the previous incumbent should have given his wife more dandelions, is all I’m sayin’.

Who are we kidding, it wouldn’t have helped. There’s no helping that. Side note: dandelions also make excellent jam. I found this out during my Redwall phase as a child, where I didn’t believe it was a real thing and then was proven wrong by a very crafty mother, now that I think about it. It took her about an hour to make the jam but me several to collect the dandelions.

Alan Robertshaw

@ big titty demon

You got me a googling. I’m glad I did; thank you!

Lizzie
Lizzie
9 days ago

As a kid (last millennium) we would pick dandelion clocks, as they were called, and blow the seeds off to see what time it was. And there was a soft drink called dandelion and burdock, more appreciated by adults than children.

Anon Get-it-On
Anon Get-it-On
9 days ago

I know I have brought up this website before because it is really bad but no one here took it serious.

eradica.wordpress.com

(Trigger Warning, it is really, really bad with hate speech, criminal acts, gun violence and other terrible things.)

Instead of going to the site, maybe it is better to let wordpress know that they are hosting terrible nazi MRA’s.

I hope they act on it.

rabid rabbit
rabid rabbit
9 days ago

Dandelions should especially not be cut early in spring, because they’re some of the first things to flower and therefore one of the few things available as food for bees emerging from hibernation.

Prophet309
Prophet309

@ Anon Get-It-On

You only seem to comment to drop links to sites with graphic, disturbing content–and, iirc, there were multiple instances where you didn’t provide a warning.

I’m suspicious of you because you don’t appear to interact with this community except to tell people to report awful sites. Furthermore, in the past, it seemed more like you were just trying to traumatize people by getting them to click on a link and see awful stuff they weren’t expecting.

@ everyone else (especially frequent commenters)

Is it okay if I email David asking for a ban? I’m tired of seeing this person and their disgusting links.
I’m asking for permission because I’m not a regular commenter and thus there’s a definite possibility I missed something important.

Last edited 9 days ago by Prophet309
Dalillama

@Prophet309
I concur with your assessment.

bekabot
bekabot
8 days ago

“I doubt Trump would even bother to pick up a wad of dirt to give to Melania.”

If Trump saw a dime on the ground he might pick it up — but he’d keep it for himself.

Bookworm in hijab
Bookworm in hijab
8 days ago

@ Prophet309,

I’m kind of a sporadic commenter, but *all* I’ve ever seen of Anon-get-it-on is posting disturbing links.

I’m not sure if they’re a troll or just really, really clueless, but I’d support a ban or at least an official warning and maybe some form of strict moderation like no links allowed.

Dalillama’s a regular so if they (I’m sorry, I don’t recall which pronouns you use?) say ban I concur with them.

GSS ex-noob
GSS ex-noob
8 days ago

First off, kudos to David for “Dandelion Whine”. 👍

Secondly, I guess the RW is so unfamiliar with the concept of spontaneous affection and true love between husband and wife that this confuses their narrow minds? I know Agent Orange and his mail-order bride didn’t care for each other — does this extend to all of them?

I have picked dandelions. They’re pretty little yellow flowers. We have them in the US because Europeans brought them over as salad greens and wine making ingredients. And the puffball stage is really fun to blow on and make a wish.

For those who are firmly in the “they’re weeds!” camp, Joe kept that one from spreading and creating more dandelions, so there.

If the Fox “news” woman is so upset that this is a news story, then why is she giving it all this airtime instead of ignoring it?

@Bookworm: I used to play with milkweed all the time as a kid, and I’m still here. We were told not to eat it, that’s where the poison comes in. Butterflies love it.

I’m looking for some kind of ground cover that’ll grow on pure clay soil in an arid environment. Any suggestions?

GSS ex-noob
GSS ex-noob
8 days ago

@Prophet309: I’m with you. The term “concern troll” comes to mind, also “wolf in sheep’s clothes”.

Dalillama
8 days ago

@Bookworm in Hijab
She/her

@GSS ex-noob
Annoying jackass is the phrase that comes to my mind.

epitome of incomrepehensibility

The landlord came and cut down our mint & clover because there were dandelions.

@Dalillama – 🙁 seems like kind of an asshole move.

I’ve got a little rectangle of land on my parents’ property for a mini veggie garden. So far oregano, mint, and chives are coming up from last year. I’m all for dandelion greens in salads, but my mom’s a picky eater and doesn’t like the taste, so I’m thinking of planting some romaine lettuce too.

Anon Get-it-On
Anon Get-it-On
8 days ago

I am sorry if I upset anyone, I did try to improve if I made a mistake in the past and put a trigger warning to tell you it is bad content. I also wanted to share actionable advice to block the site, but now, ironically you want to block me. I was warning about the site because they advocate violence.

Dalillama
8 days ago

@Anon
Why do you think we would specifically care about these sites? What leads you to believe that this is a useful way to get people to do whatever it is you want us to do? Why, after it’s been made clear to you that nobody wants you to do this, do you keep doing it?

NB: I don’t actually care even a little bit about the answers, these are study questions for you to use for your own benefit, preferably elsewhere.

galanx
galanx
8 days ago

Prince or pauper, beggar man or thing
Play the game with ev’ry flower you bring
Dandelion don’t tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion
One o’clock, two o’clock, three o’clock, four o’clock chimes
Dandelions don’t care about the time
Dandelion don’t tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion, blow away dandelion
Tho’ you’re older now its just the same
You can play this dandelion game
When you’re finished with your childlike prayers
Well, you know you should wear it
– Rolling Stones

Anon Get-it-On
Anon Get-it-On
8 days ago

Why do you think we would specifically care about these sites?”
I think I misunderstood this community. I thought it was to track and mock online misogyny and by extension really bad websites related to the MRM. Since the capital riots happened, I thought what they were posting was much more than “tough guy” talk and maybe a really bad call to action so I thought making people more aware was a good think. But I misunderstood. It seems like you want “sort of” bad stuff to mock so that you can go on about your day and not feel too bad.

My comments were in moderation when I first posted and then David let them through even though some people were not happy so I thought everything was within the theme of the site. And I didn’t reply because when I saw the comments a bunch of time went by so I thought I would let it slide instead of try to explain myself.

I suppose if you think I am not a good person whom is trying to help I can’t convince you and you already made up your mind I guess. You don’t want to know about that site and you don’t want to stop that site or warn others and I guess it is okay for you to chose whatever kind of activism you want to engage in. Maybe I should try the SPLC and maybe that is more in their wheelhouse than what you want to do here. What can I say but sorry for misunderstanding. But not sorry for trying to expose potentially dangerous stuff. You know one of the guys in the capitol riots was a well known man. He probably said and did lots of thinks were people said it’s just tough guy talk and he is being eccentric so more people listen to his hard rock band. But people told me if you follow his interviews and ask his fans nothing he did was surprising. So now you have a website where guys say crazy stuff and maybe they really mean something by it. You don’t care and that is okay but at least maybe tell me who Is would tell besides the SPLC.