announcements

Robert Futrelle, RIP

My father passed away on Wednesday, some four months after the death of my mother.

Just wanted you all to know. I may be taking a few more days off from the blog.

logothete
logothete
1 month ago

So sorry about you Dad 🙁 I’ve been thinking about you David even though we’ve never met. If I could I would give you a hug.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia
1 month ago

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
1 month ago

my most sincere condolences.

GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.
PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?
GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise

ObSidJag
ObSidJag
1 month ago

I, too, am so sorry for your loss, especially following so closely on losing your mother.

But what a wonderful smile your father had. He looks like he would’ve been quite the character.

May his memory be a blessing, and may perpetual light shine upon him.

Last edited 1 month ago by ObSidJag
Acid Kritana
1 month ago

I won’t expect you to respond to my reactions to your articles for now, since it appears that you have lost someone.

Heather
Heather
30 days ago

I’m so very sorry for your loss. How awful to lose them both so close together. Sending virtual hugs and strength!

CanadianGurl
CanadianGurl
30 days ago

Sorry for you loss, David. Been a rough year, and I can’t imagine losing both parents in it as well. Thinking of you.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness
30 days ago

@Acid

David’s father’s death is not about you in any way, so why do you make it about you? What is wrong with you?

Bookworm in hijab
Bookworm in hijab
30 days ago

@ PoM,

Seconded.

Full Metal Ox
29 days ago

@Policy of Madness; @Bookworm in hijab:

Acid Kritana seems not to have grasped the concept of “things that are not primarily about me”; his response is dismaying but unsurprising.

(I’m reminded of a USENET group I used to frequent; one poster’s instant reaction to breaking news of 9/11 was, “Why couldn’t it have happened to my school?” Granted that a lot of folks have had that Calvinesque fantasy (http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/ch/1988/ch881106.gif), but there are times and places.)

Last edited 29 days ago by Full Metal Ox
Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness
29 days ago

@Full Metal Ox

I get that Acid is young and young people don’t have fully developed empathy centers, but he could at least mimic what everyone else is doing and pretend instead of centering himself in a matter that has nothing to do with him. What breathtaking entitlement.

Contrapangloss
Contrapangloss
29 days ago

Young acid, you’re coming off as a sea lion.

Like in the comic:

When someone’s relative (or relatives as the case may be) have just died, it is not the bloody time to go “Very well, then, we’ll resume our debate in one hour*”

Life lesson: when someone is grieving and you don’t know them well, a simple “I’m sorry for your loss” or “may their memory be a blessing” is adequate.

A “please take care of yourself” is also appropriate.

For closer friends or acquaintances, offers of assistance with things you know they’ll need is also appropriate, as long as you’re willing to take a no gracefully if they’ve already been buried in casseroles and really just need some space.

* I know that’s not the words you used, but it’s very much the message received. David has no obligation to address your posts, ever, just like you are under no obligation to respond to his.

Naglfar
Naglfar
29 days ago

@PoM

he could at least mimic what everyone else is doing

That would require him to stop thinking he’s better than everyone else, so it seems unlikely.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
29 days ago

Acid

Kid, read fewer MRA blogs and more rooms. It’ll help you in RL too – you’ll get your arse kicked slightly less often.

Elaine The Witch
Elaine The Witch
29 days ago

Acid main thing is that if something bad happens to him it’s the worst thing ever and he’s the biggest victim on the face of the planet, but if something bad happens to someone else or he hurts someone else they need to “get over it” or their “not the only one suffering” I’m actually surprised acid wasn’t like “my gold fish died once and i got over it so get over this and pay attention to me!

Valentin
Valentin
25 days ago

I am sorry to hear this David. I hope you are feeling a bit better now and you have some good memories to comfort.