open thread trump

He’s gone, he’s really gone: Inauguration Open Thread

Donald Trump leaving the White House (re-enactment)

I can finally unclench my jaw. Trump is out of the White House. There were no riots, no deaths today.

Let’s take a few moments to appreciate this peaceful inauguration day, because this peace may not last too long.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Paradoxy Intent - Resident Cheeseburger Slut
Paradoxy Intent - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Be sure to dress warm folks, it’s -45 out there. UvU

Hippielady
Hippielady
1 month ago

I was crying watching Kamala Harris take the oath of office.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
1 month ago

Such a relief. And so many fabulous coats! As I type this Harris is about to swear in the 3 new Democratic Senators, so Mitch McConnell is about to be gone from the majority leadership.

1 month ago

A few miscellaneous thoughts on the inauguration:

1. I am genuinely surprised by the lack of violence today, I was expecting that someone would try something.
  2. I appreciate the way Biden featured a poet laureate in the ceremony, hopefully that raises her voice and that of similar poets.
  3. I think a lot of people are being very naive in expecting conservatives to be willing to compromise or get along with the Biden admin.
  4. I’m really relieved that Trump is no longer in the White House. It’s hard to believe it’s real after the last 4 years, and while I’m still somewhat cynical about the current administration I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Even just on a symbolic level it makes a big difference.
Last edited 1 month ago by Naglfar
Alan Robertshaw
1 month ago

One of my friends managed to blag an invite to the inauguration. With the covid and the riot they’ve re-seated everyone. So she’s in BLM plaza. Which she’s really loving.

It was such a relief to look at the news and see Biden had been sworn in. I appreciate people have all sorts of thoughts about him. But there was a sudden feeling of, maybe not quite actual rescue, but when you’re lost at sea and an aeroplane flies over and makes it clear they’ve seen you. I guess it’s hope. Not just for the US, but the rest of the world. With certain people now gone; will that see populist authoritarian ‘rule breakers’ going out of fashion? One must hope so.

As for the inauguration, I’ve been most impressed with the logistics and the behind the scenes stuff*. I love how quickly the White House staff obliterated any trace of Trump and got the new paintings up.

Oh, and they also spent nearly half a million dollars on disinfecting the place. For the covid obviously, but that also seems an apposite bit of symbolism.

[* I wonder how someone felt when, exactly at Noon, the marine carrying the ‘football’ just walked out of the room]

Moggie
Moggie
1 month ago

Things are not so peaceful in qanon land. Thread:

Reading all that, I found that I wasn’t feeling as much schadenfreude as I had anticipated. Mostly, I felt anger at the people who have exploited these fools. Huge damage has been done, and will continue to be done, but the people behind it will just walk away and find a new grift, or a new way to radicalise the gullible. Some of the qanon followers, realising how much they have thrown away for a lie, may commit suicide. Others will be recruited by white supremacist groups, who were waiting for this moment. The most deluded will continue to “trust in the plan” for a while longer.

As for the inauguration, I must admit I cursed when Biden said: “And my first act as president, I’d like to ask you to join me in a moment of silent prayer to remember all those who we lost this past year to the pandemic”. Would it kill him to say “prayer or contemplation”? Is it so hard to remember the non-religious? They’re American too, you know?

Cindy
Cindy
1 month ago

Love the metaphor of being lost at sea and seeing the planes fly overhead. I don’t feel a ton of relief because the actual rescue attempt is still to come and it will be very difficult.

Dana C.
Dana C.
1 month ago

The sense of relief, of calm, of being able to take a deep breath, is glorious. We have pulled the cork on a better bottle of wine than usual, and toasted the President and Vice President of the United States.

@Moggie
I share your frustration re: religion in the inauguration. I felt like they had a lot of religious involvement in what’s Gould have been a secular ceremony, and I believe firmly in separation of church and state.

As for QAnon, I’m seeing various calls to have sympathy for the true believers because they were deceived. I don’t feel sympathy, because these are people who wanted Trump to be their God-emperor and wanted people like me dead. These were people who would sacrifice everything, including the American people, for the dictatorial fantasy. I’m sure some were taken advantage of, but they endorsed and supported white supremacy and fascism all the same and I can’t really feel sympathy for that.

Elaine The Witch
Elaine The Witch
1 month ago

I had feeling not much would happen since a lot of the people that stormed the capital got arrested and a little bruised up and shot at that they wouldn’t do anything because they learned that while they aren’t treated as bad as blm that they aren’t immune to consequences. A lot of trump supports were really surprised that anything bad happened to them because of their actions.

Dalillama

@Moggie

Recruited? They’re already in at least one white supremacist group, any recruiting has already happened. Indeed, they were all white supremacists before Q showed up at all, else they wouldn’t have bought into yet another rehash of the fucking Blood Libel. They didn’t buy into Q because they’re fools, they did it because they’re fucking monsters.

Moggie
Moggie
1 month ago

@Naglfar, just to be clear, I don’t feel sympathy for them either. If they were victims, they were willing victims, and willing to cause a lot of harm, up to and including mass executions. I do feel sympathy for friends and family members: so many times, over the past few years, we’ve read posts saying “I’ve lost my father / sister / best friend to this cult”, and in many of those cases the damage will never be repaired.

@Alan, wasn’t Biden president from the moment he was sworn in, which was several minutes earlier? So the football ought to have left Trump around 11:48, in a sort of “spooky action at a distance” event.

Moggie
Moggie
1 month ago

Biden seems to have hit the ground running:

• US is back in the WHO
  • Ditto the Paris climate accords
  • No more funding for the wall
  • The Muslim travel ban is no more
Alan Robertshaw

@ moggie

We had been chatting about exactly when terms start. I thought it might mean that technically Kamala Harris would have been Trump’s VP for a few minutes. Had fantasies about her suddenly pulling the 25th.

However it transpires that the actual transfer of power takes place at Noon.

The oath has to be taken before then as it’s a condition precedent for office.

Before he enters the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—”I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

On one occasion arguably there wasn’t a president for 24 hours because the inauguration actually took place on the 21st of Jan. Now, if an inauguration needs to be shifted because it’s the weekend they do a private swear and then a public one later.

As to the footballs, the normal procedure is that at noon (behind a pillar at the capitol) the previous marine guard just hands it across to the new one. I wondered why they don’t keep the same guy but apparently it’s because they’d have been privy to a lot of conversations in the previous administration; so confidentiality.

That will have happened with Pence to Harris. But for Biden they used the spare football they keep for the designated survivor. Biden will have been given his ‘biscuit’ earlier in the day; and exactly at noon, Trump’s code was cancelled and Biden’s activated.

There was an interview with one of the guys who carried the football and he said they practiced this stuff day in day out.

Last edited 1 month ago by Alan Robertshaw
Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
1 month ago

I held my breath a few seconds after President Biden was sworn in, because I was braced for something ugly to happen, but no.

Later I was chatting with a friend of mine who’s desi, and we had a fun time joking about how her chittis were totally flexing their humblebrags about “Kamala, you know, Shyamala’s oldest, she’s Vice President of the US….”

@Moggie
I know you weren’t saying you were sympathetic, I was referring more broadly to a general trend of things I’d been seeing on Twitter about that topic. I agree, I can feel sorry for the families but don’t feel sorry for willing executioners.

@Victorious Parasol
Same, I kept expecting someone to attack, and am very glad the ceremony did not involve violence.

Last edited 1 month ago by Naglfar
Chris Oakley
Chris Oakley
1 month ago

There were no riots, no deaths today.

Well, there was one death today: the death of Trump’s political career.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

Good riddance.

I believe another, competent, populist will rise in Trump place and be even more of a threat. But for now, let’s celebrate our victory. And I am thankful for all the community organizers and activists that helped.

Moggie
Moggie

@Dalillama:

“Fool” and “fucking monster” aren’t mutually exclusive. These people are both. Which is pretty common: how often have you encountered a Nazi who wasn’t also a colossal idiot?

I was referring to this NBC report:

Logically.AI researcher Nick Backovic said that while it does appear many QAnon followers are giving up after this last failed prophecy, he has seen white supremacist recruiters “raid” QAnon groups with the explicit goal of recruiting disillusioned and hopeless conspiracy theorists.

“There are lots of people feeling shocked, cheated and angry. As scary as that is on its own, it’s the rest I’m most worried about,” Backovic said. “We’re seeing a lot of Neo-Nazis preying on the potentially disenchanted Q people.”

In the days after the Capitol riots, white supremacist groups expressly targeted “Parler refugees,” or Trump fans who they believed could be radicalized after the conservative social media platform Parler was at least temporarily shut down and QAnon was banned from Twitter and Facebook.

“Focus less on trying to red pill [or recruit] them on WW2 and more on how to make them angrier about the election and the new Democrat regime,” read one white supremacist recruitment message on Telegram. “Heighten their burning hatred of injustice.”

Yeah, the Q crowd are already “radicalized”, and we’ve seen how dangerous some of them can be. But this recruitment effort could round up some who have, so far, not gone beyond spewing hateful shit, and lead them down the paramilitary route.

@Alan:

I’d like to see them gaming that out. “Steve, it’s a goddamn briefcase. I think I’ve got the hang of handing over a briefcase sometime over the past two dozen exercises.”

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles
1 month ago

Yay it’s done now to see what happens next.

rzs
rzs
rzs
rzs

“Mods, why hasn’t Biden been arrested yet?” 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

hahahaa

rzs
rzs
1 month ago

(okay also on a serious note, as a New Yorker I can confirm; Chuck Schumer also sucks ass)

Alan Robertshaw

@ moggie

Yeah.

“We war game this stuff, and we practice it ad nauseam for years and years,”

“Ok Steve, this time, let’s assume there’s a NE crosswind of 15 knots; and an Alsation has somehow got hold of the bag…”

ETA: “Right, when I said offer him a biscuit, that’s not the one I meant.”

Last edited 1 month ago by Alan Robertshaw
Cyborgette
Cyborgette
1 month ago

Jesus, today was a lot. 4+ years of trauma caught up with me, I guess.

It feels surreal, hard to believe I survived. Hard to believe I only lost one friend (and that was far too many, but still, hard to believe). Hard to believe Trump didn’t say his goodbye with a nuclear launch order, and I’m not a pile of cinder in what’s left of my apartment.

What we just lived through was a genocide. Trump’s government very deliberately sabotaged crisis medical care for millions of people, and 400,000+ died – mostly Black, Latine, Indigenous, and/or disabled people by enormous margins. Trump and his cohorts knew exactly what they were doing.

I wasn’t at the top of Trump’s shit list, but I was on it. So yeah. Still trying to wrap my head around all the feelings, and it’s a lot.

Dalillama

@Naglfar

There wasn’t really any chance of violence at the inauguration, 20,000 troops make a hell of a deterrent. Also, everyone with the resources and will to go storm Washington did it already on the 6th and are now in custody, on bail, on the lam, or digging a hole and pulling it in after them.

Alan Robertshaw

@ dali

20,000 troops make a hell of a deterrent.

Tell that to Publius Quinctilius Varus.

Moggie
Moggie

@Alan,

“Steve, ‘designated doggo’ is not a thing. I need you to take this seriously!”

@Dalillama
Fair enough. One thing which I did somewhat fear but was definitely unlikely was an Indira Gandhi-type situation where a rogue soldier turns on the president and/or others.

Alan Robertshaw
Last edited 1 month ago by Alan Robertshaw
Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Naglfar

I’m not. Once they killed a cop, got prosecuted and saw McConnell warn against pardoning the traitors, and saw the military move in, I’m not surprised at all that they backed down. Now they know, actions have consequences. They don’t want to faces consequences.

@Moggie

While I generally feel bad for cult members being taken advantage of… I draw the line at cult members of violent cults. They could have chosen a peaceful cult, but desired instead to join a mutual hate group. One cannot say QAnon love-bombs its members: you get in by being hateful enough at the start to win approval of how hateful you are. So while I agree with your anger at the top alt-right thugs getting away with it to start new grifts, the gullible bear their own responsibility for their own hate.

@Moggie again

Oops… read up some more… seems like this discussion was already had between you and Naglfar and came to the conclusion that we will definitely agree with one another. I blame it on the placement of the comments box at the top encouraging the premature writeup of comments…

@Naglfar again

Dammit I got ninja’d by Dalilama too!

Skiriki
Skiriki
1 month ago

A breather is very welcome in this!

A tale of personal woe, re: inauguration

I celebrated by having leftover imPEACHment cobbler with rum raisin ice cream, and let’s say that my cobbler was already kinda loaded with actual dark rum to begin with…

…and then, at 7:15 pm (since 7 pm is when swearing in Biden happened in my neck of woods), bosslady sends me a text message “hi, I need these pics by 10 pm” and I’m oh sh*t, I can barely stay upright at this point and I have no idea if I can coordinate my mousehand and instead of asking “can it wait ’till tomorrow” I replied “ok”.

Did my thing, shambled to bed and fell so deep asleep that I didn’t hear her reply but now that I’m up at 4 am, she seems satisfied with what she got.

Alan Robertshaw
1 month ago

The Chinese government has banned anyone from the Trump administration from entering Chinese territory.

Of more import, any company associated with them is prohibited from conducting business in China. That might limit future job opportunities a bit.

Anonymous
Anonymous
1 month ago

It’s much too early to celebrate- at least with Trump we knew he was up to no good at all times. Now we’ve exchanged that for what’s no doubt going to be a repeat of the Obama administration, specifically the part where its way of “reforming” all our broken institutions was to slap a new coat of paint on it and declare that there was never really a problem at all. Expect to see the Biden administration’s defenders bringing up Trump’s excesses every time they want to justify their own excesses- after all, their only real problem with those excesses was that their party wasn’t calling the shots. Complacency is exactly what they want right now- if anything, we should start getting even more aggressive in pushing back against the infrastructure Trump has left behind which they will almost certainly take for themselves given half a chance.

Forget about the conservative opposition- it’s the centrist fence-sitters (both the ones who only say they’re centrists because they’re too cowardly to make their side known and the ones who care more about seeming reasonable than about doing what they ought to do), the opportunists, the liberals who care more about not rocking the boat than they do about real issues, and everyone else who thinks that platitudes and honeyed words about unity are all that’s needed to fix a system that was arguably broken from the very beginning.

Last edited 1 month ago by Anonymous
Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Alan:
Even before that, folks from the Trump administration were already having trouble finding job opportunities elsewhere, especially after January 6th. This despite the infamous government/lobbyist revolving door. Anybody who had actually stayed with Trump until the end was treated with some suspicion… and most openings were already taken by the ones who had realized they should decamp earlier.

Pretty much all that’s left for a lot of them is going to be the AM talk radio circuit (since a lot of them didn’t have any real useful skills at anything other than boot-licking and politicking anyway, with Trump having driven away most of those with greater ambitions), and that’s already pretty crowded.

Gwynfydd
Gwynfydd
1 month ago

Phew. I can start to relax a bit now. Feeling my shoulders drop a bit. This is such good news (we need some!) and glad to see the first list of policy changes from Biden.

Snowberry
Snowberry
1 month ago

I am thankful that in the choice between “fascist manchild grifter” and “any functional adult” the adult won out, and is now in charge. It’s not the adult I would have chosen by a long shot, but still considerably better than the alternative.

The symbolic year does not respect a calendar. 2020 the phenomenon and not the literal year, started back in March or April for most people, and it probably won’t end until mid-2021 for many. But I’m still thankful that, barring the unlikely, the rate of tragedy will be decelerating soon if it hasn’t already. I know, low standards at this point.

I am thankful that I finally got my right arm out of that damn cast recently, as doing everything with my left was awkward and tiring. I am also thankful that the injury wasn’t for nothing, and a bad person is off the streets for a while.

There is a lot which I am very much not thankful for, but let’s not dwell on that much.

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements

@Jenora Feuer:

Sounds like the so-called “wingnut welfare” is going to be spread pretty thin for a while. Some of them might even have to get ordinary-folk jobs at Amazon and Mickey D’s!

Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)

@Skiriki
That’s a harrowing, not to mention amusing, tale. Glad it worked out.

@Everybody else
Four years of trauma every damned day. I’m so happy to see the back of that man.

Nikki the Bluth Wannabe
Nikki the Bluth Wannabe
1 month ago

I had an inauguration experience today that was similar to @ Gwynfydd.
I work in a library. At one point during my shift, I walked by a computer where a patron was reading inauguration coverage. I could see the headline, with the words “President Biden” in it, and my arms literally went limp (glad I wasn’t carrying anything!) from relief.

Last edited 1 month ago by Nikki the Bluth Wannabe
Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 month ago

@Dalillama : the main thing that prevented violence is that theses 20k troops were correctly vetted and that the mishandling of the army by Trump mean not a lot of them were on his side to begin with.

During the 6th, Trump showed that despite everything he did he still had enough influence in the Pentagon to prevent actions against his coup, which is the most chilling and sobering part of 2021 so far.

Jesalin, Sapphic Goddess of Lust
Jesalin, Sapphic Goddess of Lust
1 month ago

I leave for surgery in about 3 days, I’m a bundle of nerves.

On other topics, I think the t***p bullshit that Biden lets stand, will be rather telling.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)

@Jesalin

Sending good thoughts your way, and hopefully some luck too.

On the topic – today were the first day I didn’t feel dread before checking the US news.

@Snowberry

I feel this as well. For me time just feels weird, because one part of me feels like we’ve been in lockdown for years, but another part is convinced time stopped in March and has yet to start again. It’s unclear how a new presidential administration will affect this since we’re only one day into it.

@Jesalin
Best of luck with the surgery.

O/T: Marjorie Taylor Greene has said she will put forth articles of impeachment against Biden today. That may have just been bravado, if it isn’t I am genuinely curious to see what her delusional articles say. If she can figure out how to create them, that is, and doesn’t just think that writing “he stole the election” is an article.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@Naglfar

TBH this makes me worried that a majority of Republicans will jump in with her – obviously that won’t get it into the Senate, but it would still set a dangerous precedent.

The Democrats need to stop with the bipartisanship attempts and start playing hardball. Same reason I think militarizing DC for the Inauguration was the right decision (even though in the broader picture I’m against nation-states and militaries) – for Republicans now it’s all about what they can get away with, the only thing that will put them in their place is an overwhelming display of force. Give them an inch and they’ll take a mile.

@Cyborgette

I share that fear. She’s not the only one who has said she would like to impeach Biden for no reason, and over 140 reps voted to overturn the election, so she could likely get some colleagues on board.

And I agree re: troops in Washington.

Skiriki
Skiriki
1 month ago

Last night was blissfully free from nightmares around end of the world scenarios. For some reason I have had those since 10th of November, 2016. Gosh, wonder why.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)

About Marjorie Q Greene’s impeachment attempt – things are not going smoothly:

@Threp
My guess is that she expected all she’d have to do was write “I impeach Joe Biden” on a piece of paper or something. In the event that she does produce articles, I’m expecting them to be conspiratorial nonsense.