coronavirus empathy deficit MGTOW misogyny

MGTOW Redditors agree: Covid is the best thing that’s ever happened to MGTOWs

Nearly 300,000 Americans have died of Covid already and cases are spiking nationwide. Meanwhile, over in the Men Going Their Own Way subreddit the regulars have been talking about what a great thing Covid has been for MGTOWs, at least according to their own perverse logic.

Covid was really the best thing for MGTOW yet,” someone called Luciano700 declared in a recent thread, and his fellow MGTOWs were quick to agree. (This isn’t the first time MGTOWs have declared Covid an “ally,” but the reasons they give this time around are a bit more varied than the ones they gave the last time I caught them doing this.)

A commenter called fritobandito214 set forth a whole list of reasons he thinks Covid has been a gift to MGTOWs and men more generally.

Covid has been good for men in general:

We’ve been givin the right to keep women 6ft away from us without any repercussion for once.

Restaurants are closed, no expensive meals to buy, now the whores have to come over to our place and get plowed or keep their sorry ass at home.

Strong wymyn are being forced to stay at home to deal with and home school the monsters they’ve unleashed on society. (This one i especially love,love,LOVE!)

Men aren’t attention whores vs. women who are losing their minds in quarantine with no one around to give them attention, ENTER OnlyFans, exposing them for the true whores they are.

MGTOW men for the most part live a life of solitude so it’s business as usual during this pandemic, while wymyn are becoming pill popping, alcohol soaked addicts.

Other commenters suggested that Covid was exposing women’s perfidity — and tendency to cheat in relationships. Usual_Sir wrote

The thots can’t hide the truth to their beta provider, about Chad and Tyrone. Text messages and late night phone calls. Look for those covid red flags guys.

Some think that Covid essentially makes the case for MGTOW for them. Isthisthelasttime34 explained:

Still others are glad that something has come along to disrupt daily life for everyone:

“Covid is good,” wrote non-w0ke.

It brings some balance back into play. Monkey branching is extremely hard after a major disasters, such as World War. Because people do not behave when asked nicely (kids, Karens) they are forced to deal with harsh reality. Reality and natural selection are the best teachers.

Others waxed rhapsodic about the possibility of even more apocalyptic social chaos — which they think will “put women in their place” again, like in the good old days.

“[I]t’s a nothing bug,” wrote Mozambique4Life.

But a wake-up call. if we had widespread Ebola for example, what would the world resort too.

Funny thing is we all know if society really turns to anarchy women will fall back on very traditional roles, just hide behind big strong men and suck cock to survive. nothing new there.

Keep dreaming, boys.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Naglfar
Naglfar
1 month ago

I’m actually a little surprised by this, I would have expected a decent chunk of MGTOWs to be COVID deniers.

Wait, I thought you wanted to keep women away from you? Make up your mind, do you want them in your home, or 6 feet away?

I might add, one way to avoid buying expensive meals for other people is to not ask other people out. The women of the world would be glad.

Men aren’t attention whores vs. women who are losing their minds in quarantine

Says the man posting on the Internet searching to get attention.

Reality and natural selection are the best teachers.

Being a MGTOW is selected against, because if you have no offspring on purpose your genes will not be passed on.

Funny, this isn’t what happens when that occurs. Usually it’s the people who can organize, cook, and care for others, which women are typically taught to do, who survive. Men who insist on “going their own way” and refusing to cooperate with others wouldn’t fare well in the long term.

logothete
logothete
1 month ago

If they truly wanted to go their own way, question patriarchy, find out how to grow and be happy in themselves and were like other humans and creatures are cool. All the best to y’all I’m just going my own way. I could rest that and might even feel they were contributing something valuable. But instead these men are so full of resentment and hatred towards women that I have no time for them once again I wish the MGTOWs would just fucking go away like they keep saying they want to do.

Viscaria, purveyor of briny slattern wine
Viscaria, purveyor of briny slattern wine
1 month ago

What was the repercussion before?

Lainy
Lainy

@viscaria

the repercussion were probably were they either got a boner or they assaulted a woman and she fought back in some way and they got in trouble for that.

Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
1 month ago

Yes, a woman’s case against a man for failing to kiss her hand during the Covid pandemic would fall apart in court. She’d probably have trouble finding a lawyer for this kind of frivolous lawsuit. Case dismissed, feminists!

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
1 month ago

Don’t think it’s hands that Miggies are usually told to kiss by every woman they meet.

Lainy
Lainy
1 month ago

I swear mgtow are the biggest attention whores on the internet along with one of the biggest losers. the only ones that are at the same level as them are incels. Incels try to hide behind the lie that they want love and mgtows hide behind the lie that they won’t anything to do with women but then spend ever minute thinking about women.

Penny Psmith
Penny Psmith
1 month ago

This is a fairly small thing, considering [expansive hand gesture] you know, everything they said, but I find myself stuck on that one guy who used Ebola as an example of an Even Worse Plague.
Because the thing is, as I’ve learned from an epidemiologist friend of mine, we would probably be better off with Ebola. I mean, yeah, the disease itself is awful (but a universal vaccine is on the way!), but because it’s only contagious through direct contact with bodily fluids, and only after symptoms have started, it is much easier to contain than Covid, especially in the west where we have better infrastructure and so on. That is also why the outbreaks that occur every so often don’t spread much beyond their origin countries (every once in a while you get some folks who got on a plane before realizing they’re sick, but it’s still fairly easy to deal with, because again, not as contagious).
File that under “one more thing MGTOWs get hopelessly wrong”.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
1 month ago

Oh, honey. No one wanted to get within 6 feet of you.

Uh, dude. Baby boomers are called that because people coupled up all over the place after WWII and there was a spike in birth rates. Disasters do not keep people from fucking or from marrying. Men are going to be thirstier than ever after we’re all vaxxed up.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate
1 month ago

I for one prefer to stay at least six feet, if not six miles away from a MGTOW.

.45
.45
1 month ago

“From purely a social perspective it has given men much firmer ground to stand on for not wanting to go the traditional marriage, kids, and soul crushing job route. Who can argue with somebody anymore for not wanting to do that? Absolutely nobody. And while we knew all along what we were doing, now all we have to do is point to the events of 2020 to shut down anybody getting upset about it.”

Am I the only one confused by this? It sounds like the dude is saying that nobody will want to be married because a plague will come along at some point? I feel like I’m missing something obvious…

.45
.45

@Penny Psmith

If you subscribe to the notion that Stacies are exchanging bodily fluids with three different Chads every day, then you could easily believe Ebola has the potential to kill off 80% of the human race in a couple of weeks if it got the chance…

Naglfar
Naglfar

@.45

I don’t really get it either, but if I were to hazard a guess I’d say maybe he’s trying to say that he doesn’t want that family model and job situation because it could fall apart in a pandemic with economic uncertainty. Given that pandemics aren’t that common, I think it’s a bit of an odd worry, but that’s how MGTOWs are.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
1 month ago

At work, I’ve had to support more and more clinics who’re doing COVID-19 testing. I’m already angry at COVID-19 deniers.

Leave it to the MGTOWs to find a new bottom of the barrel.

numerobis
numerobis
1 month ago

Dating during COVID is intense: going from walking together while staying 6′ away to being in range to look each other in the eyes with an awkward smirk is a *commitment*. From there to being in bed together feels much less significant. It’s weird.

Compounded by the laws meaning that if you had a good time walking around the park, the next step is “your place or mine?” since there’s nowhere else to hang out.

Anyway all that to say: weirwoodtreehugger, the thirst is already there (and of course the women are just as thirsty as the men).

Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
1 month ago

I guess this guy has never heard of the Wall Street Panic of 1907 or World War I or the Depression or World War II or the Vietnam conflict or the Iraq conflicts (either one) or . . . anything, really, that people have lived through and still managed to get married, have kids, and hold down jobs that they maybe didn’t actually love or even like — in fact could barely tolerate.

That said, go for it, MGTOW. Please turn your backs on marriage and kids and jobs. The world will be a better place for it.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@numerobis

of course the women are just as thirsty as the men

Yes. Although I don’t want to take the risks of dating in a pandemic, as soon as this ends I want to date again.

Lainy
Lainy
1 month ago

I will say that I know i’m in college and I’m bad about wearing my wedding ring all of the time, But the amount of guys hitting on me has actually gone up. And they hit on me with my mask on which amazes me because They don’t know what I look like. I got out far less then I use to but men make far more of an effort to talk to me, flirt with me, tell me I look nice in those times I do go out.

Like every time I leave my apartment. had some guy hit at me at the mail boxes the other a month ago, I was outside for 5 minutes. Hell I’ve had guys do it in the chat box in zoom meetings during class. the thirst dial has been turned up over a thousand. My view is mostly guys in their early 20s which I know are not what most MGTOWs are. but yeah the pandemic isn’t going to bring shit down. From my point of view guys will hand it out to a woman they don’t know in a hoodie dress, combat boots and a mask that takes up most of her face.

Chris Oakley
Chris Oakley
1 month ago

After reading this, I’m starting to think the real pandemic threatening this country isn’t Covid-19 but Assholery-20.

mouse sparrow
mouse sparrow
1 month ago

These are the same guys who go “but in the old days people worked on marriage instead of divorce”, completely ignoring AFAB people usually having to kill their abusive spouse in non-obvious ways or die to abuse.

LollyPop
LollyPop

@Penny

Yep, it’s why they work so hard to contain outbreaks, because the massive fear is Ebola making the jump to airborne. If that happened, MGTOWs wouldn’t have time to pontificate about just how much women are going to be put back in their place, because they’d be dead along with billions of other people (it’s weird how they always put great faith in their ability to survive disasters). I didn’t know a vaccine was on the cards though! That is happy making news.

One thing I do find amusing is, in order for their *cough* philosophy *cough* to fit the real world (and for ego stroking purposes) they all partake in the group delusion that women just won’t leave them alone. I swear a clear third of their posts are “girlfriend come crawling back” or “wall-hitter at work pathetically chatting me up” – complete with their devastating quips and put downs.

Last edited 1 month ago by LollyPop
Gaebolga
Gaebolga

Dumbass wrote:

Seconding .45 on being confused about the “logic” involved in the argument, but I’m also confused at the implication that someone who doesn’t want to get married has bunches of folks arguing with them against their position. That literally never happened to me when I was single, except for the occasional inquiry by my mom.

Miggies think they are the center of everyone’s universe….

Last edited 1 month ago by Gaebolga
Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

@ LollyPop:

They’re like non-funny versions of the characters Canadian comedians Rick Green and Paul Chato used to play, who were convinced that “we drive chicks mad!” At least Lou and Hymie seemed content to believe this without actually bothering any of the women they thought were ogling them, and usually ended the sketch by returning home so their supposed hotness wouldn’t spark a riot.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Gaebolga
This also combines with their belief that everything they hate is the work of feminists, so they’ve convinced themselves that feminists are trying to force all men to get married, which is not the case for any feminists I’ve ever known.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
1 month ago

This has the same energy as the kid who didn’t make the freshman basketball team because he refused to learn the rules, wouldn’t pass the ball, and was a dipshit to the coach. Now he’s heckling from the stands. “Ha ha losers, you have to do wind sprints! Hope you enjoy it!”

When you purposely remove yourself from the game, you don’t get to critique how other people play it.

[citation needed]

Even if that were true, you don’t have to look very hard to see a connection between men carrying on as usual, and the mental health toll on women frantically trying to juggle the house, their (frequently front-line caregiving, teaching, or retail) job, their kids’ schooling, and the needs of the family. Women are LITERALLY BEING THE ADULTS in this scenario, and this chucklefuck is cackling to himself, so very happy that this pandemic is making life excruciatingly hard for the very people who are working to keep society going at the most basic level. What are MGTOWs doing to contribute, other than being parasites and standing around making snide comments?

Some Chick
Some Chick
1 month ago

It’s sort of impressive how they managed be wrong about basically everything, working from home, Ebola, distance learning, even expensive meals.

Hambeast
Hambeast
1 month ago

Meh. My actual before-times life isn’t that much different than my Covid-shelter-in-place-life. The hardest thing I’ve had to do is learn to grocery shop for two weeks at a time rather than weekly. We never did relax our behavior when everyone else did because we live in a land with lots of snowflakes who think wearing a mask in public equals taking away all of their gods-given rights.

I’m a little grumpy right now because Husbeast and I were exposed to a Covid-positive person (from his visit with Kidbeast) and have been self-quarantined for almost two weeks. We get the results of the tests we took yesterday in the next day or two. We’re very lucky in that we can afford grocery delivery and some delivery meals, but I’m so looking forward to picking out my own produce again! Pro tip: don’t select the “ok to substitute” button unless you like random surprises!

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements
1 month ago

One thing that scares me right now is that there don’t seem to be any grocery delivery companies willing to operate in my area. (It’s not anything you’d call a “rough neighborhood”, so I’ve no idea why it’s apparently systematically redlined by these businesses, but it evidently is nonetheless.)

If I am ever expected to quarantine at home due to a potential exposure or a positive test I’ll starve, or worse, run out of something hygiene-critical such as soap or TP. I’d be forced into the choice of suffering serious deficiency of some sort or risking spreading the virus by going out to the store anyway (certainly I’d wear a mask if it came to that).

To maintain an over-two-week supply of everything I use around here would likely run into space issues, especially in the refrigerator, and wouldn’t be possible anyway as some of the things I regularly use simply do not have the necessary shelf life. Bread in any form, for starters: I’ve never seen it with more than 13 days to expiry, ever in my life, and if I wanted to keep >2weeks of everything with a reasonable shopping-trip frequency of once a week I’d need to find some that was guaranteed not to go moldy for three weeks. Seems impossible. Cutting out bread entirely is equally so: I’m fairly sure it’s my only substantial source of B vitamins.

I usually aim to keep my supplies in the one-to-two-weeks’-supply range, and even that is often difficult since the stores are not very reliable about keeping some items in stock. As far as I can tell they wait to run right out of a thing before ordering more of it, rather than ordering more when the amount they have left is the amount they sell, on average, in an amount of time equal to the average time between ordering more and more arriving. It seems a lazy and slipshod way of doing things.

And (warning: rant ahead, those with class privilege may find it uncomfortable) it’s one more of society’s systems that seems to have been designed under the assumption that everyone (or everyone “worth caring about”, perhaps) is middle class and owns a car and telling them they’ll have to come back tomorrow for an item would only be a minor inconvenience. That also fits with the retail calendar being littered with random land mines, mostly on Mondays and Fridays, when they are closed or close early, which are not specific identified special occasions like Easter or Christmas. For middle-class job-having people getting the odd extra Monday or Friday off must be a godsend, and they won’t be expecting the stores to have their normal hours that day. For unemployed people on fixed incomes without a car, on the other hand, it means the only safe days to go out to shop are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and the afternoon on Saturday; any other day and you could put in 45 minutes of time and physical labor walking there only to find the place dark and the door locked, and after another 45 minutes get home again with nothing at all to show for 90 minutes of physical labor — an unacceptable outcome! Thus, an unacceptable risk. Which compounds the problem if the store is out of something on Thursday, or worse on Saturday, as it’s a two or three day wait until the next day that has zero chance of being booby-trapped. If the thing you were after runs out sooner than that, you’re screwed. Which means the only real safe shopping days are Tuesday and Wednesday, as then you really can come back tomorrow if you really, really have to to get that one item because it’s on the very verge of running out. And even then they are asking you to put in 180 minutes instead of 90 minutes of labor getting that week’s supplies. So to avoid that it’s also necessary not to let anything get below about four days’ supply — longer if near a major actual named holiday such as Easter, and preferably a week. And then of course the short shelf life of bread comes back to bite you, as if you get too little you dip below a week’s supply before the next shopping trip and if you get too much you risk some spoiling before it gets around to being used and for a single person living alone the difference between too little and too much can easily be smaller than the size of one package, and leaving aside the moral issues with letting food go to waste while elsewhere there are starving people, if you’re on a tight budget you literally can’t afford to have food spoil as that’s several precious dollars up in smoke.

North Sea Sparkly Dragon
North Sea Sparkly Dragon

@Surplus,

Over the years when I was too broke to get delivery and was too ill to walk to the nearest shop, I learnt a few things about storing food, but they all rely on having a freezer. Do you have a freezer or just a refrigerator? Bread, butter and milk can both be frozen for later use. I have also learnt to check the website/social media of a shop before going, to check they are open because it can be a bit hit and miss, especially at the moment with lockdown and with bank holidays.

I’m lucky there are multiple supermarkets near me that do delivery, because I don’t have a car and it takes twenty minutes to walk to the nearest and cheapest (Lidl) that doesn’t do delivery and I’m not always physically able to do that. I’ve only recently been able to afford delivery and there are still weeks when it’s not possible, because of the ways benefits are paid here.

I hope you manage to find a time to go shopping or get a delivery.

LollyPop
LollyPop

@surplus

That sounds really difficult, I can empathise a bit and know how stressful and time consuming this stuff is when you don’t have spare money/a car. Like @sparklydragon I’d recommend filling the freezer if that’s possible, and while it’s hard to give advice without knowing your diet, Jack Monroe (link below) has lots of great recipes which often rely mostly on canned food. Cheap tinned beans, fish, dried pasta, tomato puree etc can be surprisingly versatile and good in a tight spot when time/money has run out.

The only downside is tins tend to be heavy, so not great on a 45 minute walk – stocking up slowly with a few items per shop may make things feel less precarious as time goes on.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 month ago

What says it all about Jack Monroe is that she has personally very much walked the walk herself, as a single parent living with all the sheer fucking terror of the brown envelope (if that image doesn’t travel well – it’s that bills and letters from government bodies come in brown envelopes here). She’s personally lived for many years with every single last penny counting.

And she has NO truck with judgemental shit from the comfortably-off looking down on the poor for “not knowing how to manage money” or for not eating cooked-from-fresh-ingredients every single time. Or for not having an oven/time/a freezer/etc. And she knows you have as much right to the pleasure and health benefits of varied food as the rich who think the poor should live on porridge alone.

She roasts sneering right-wing politicians alive, and I take all my hats off to her.

Alan Robertshaw

@ opposable thumbs

She/they also took down Katie Hopkins; so deserves a medal just for that.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 month ago

Yes! I had forgotten the Hopkins thing; could not have been more well-deserved. Need moar hats to take off.

Also thank you for the heads-up that Monroe goes by they/them as well as she/her. (I didn’t know they were nb or if I did I had forgotten. Swiss cheese brain, me. (Which will be even tricker than usual soon, with imported cheeses languishing together with imported everything else, somewhere on the road near Calais probably))

Last edited 1 month ago by opposablethumbs
Alan Robertshaw

@ opposable thumbs

somewhere on the road near Calais probably

I’m thinking of a post Jan 1st sideline of walking up and down the M3 selling over priced loo roll to truck drivers.

Paireon
Paireon
1 month ago

Oof. Nice to know they still got their priorities straight… /S

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements
1 month ago

Freezing bread has been suggested to me before, but runs afoul of two problems:

1. Space in my freezer is at a premium, and once everything that actually has to be frozen is taken into account the remaining space tends to be either “very little” or “none at all”.
  2. The bread is used to prepare things that are supposed to be prepared quickly — in two minutes or so, typically. This is incompatible with freezing the bread. Extra time, and consequently extra planning, would have to be taken to allow time for the bread to thaw. I am also concerned it would then become soggy, so there’d be a big loss of quality.
Lainy
Lainy

@Surplus

you could buy one loaf of bread and freeze the other so it last longer. But i know that won’t be good enough for you. Maybe clear out your freezer it’s pack full of shit you aren’t eating since the space is used up oh so fast (even though that means there is food in your freezer that you can eat but whatever)

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements
1 month ago

The only things in my freezer that I’m not eating are the two chemical ice packs for using in a freezer-bag in the summer when I need to keep something cold all the way home from the store.

Phil
Phil
1 month ago

If all you gonna do is to go to the first, abandoned subreddit and do weak man Arguments
Then your writin about MGTOW is inherently useless, like you.