trump

No, you don’t need to sympathize with Trump supporters right now — or ever

Remember these two?

It’s PLEDGE DRIVE time! If you’re a fan of this blog, please help fund its continued existence by clicking the button below. THANKS!

donate button

There are a lot of bad tweets making the rounds on this, the day of Donald Trump’s more-or-less-official defeat. But the most infuriating one I’ve run across so far comes from political scientist Ian Bremmer:

Can’t we all just get along, he asks. No, we can’t.

It’s not just that Trump supporters have steadfastly refused to treat their opponents — us — with empathy or respect; indeed, many of them spent the past four years gloating about Trump’s victory in 2016 with a sadistic glee. I can’t count the number of times a MAGA-head has responded to my criticisms of Trump with some variant of “cry more.”

But the problem goes well beyond the fact that the typical Trump supporter can be a bit of a jerk sometimes. The problem is that they’ve devoted themselves to supporting a incompetent, inhumane, and deeply racist tinpot autocrat with a distinctly fascist sheen. They supported him when he tried to ban all Muslim’s from traveling to this country; they supported him when ICE began kidnapping babies en masse; they supported his attempts to destroy the affordable care act and rip insurance coverage from millions of the most vulnerable. They made excuses when Trump expressed sympathy for alt-right Nazis. They’ve defended his assault on democracy itself.

Make no mistake, had Trump won the election it would probably have been the last even somewhat democratic election in the United States for years if not decades to come.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that his fans cheered his absolute non-response to COVID, which has led to countless unnecessary deaths, perhaps as many as several hundred thousand before the pandemic runs its course. He’s encouraged his supporters to not wear masks, making it impossible to control the pandemic and putting each and every one of us at heightened risk of catching and possibly dying of the disease.

And did I mention that a significant portion of Trump’s supporters have their heads full of QAnon and other nonsense conspiracy theories and literally want to see everyone from Hillary Clinton to Chrissy Teigen executed for their imaginary crimes against humanity?

I could go on, and on, and on. But let me just move directly to my final point: We can’t offer our sympathies to Trump voters yet because, to put it bluntly, they’re still out there, and still our enemies. They will be doing everything they can to tear down the Biden administration; some will almost certainly do so with violence — and become MAGA heroes like the multiple murderer Kyle Rittenhouse. This is the reality we face right now. There’s nothing warm and fuzzy about it.

Trump supporters don’t deserve our sympathy, and they’re not going to get it, at least not from me .

Bremmer wasn’t the only one posting nonsense today:

Really? Really? One of my very first political memories is of Gerald Ford pardoning Richard Nixon. I was just a kid, but even then I knew there was something deeply wrong about Ford pardoning the guy who had just elevated him to president. And now some people want Biden to pardon the worst grifter to ever inhabit the White House? Please. If Trump wants a pardon, make him do it himself by working out some deal with Mike Pence. If Trump gets pardoned by Pence, it will leave a stain on the office of the presidency. But at least it won’t leave a stain on Biden as well.

What makes the talk of sympathy especially dangerous is that Biden has been talking the same way. We elected him to end Trump and Trumpism, and already he’s talking as if the deep political animosities we face today can be handwaved away. There are good reasons why we see these opponents as enemies. Winning the election feels good, but let’s not let that deceive us as to the nature of our foes or the enormity of the struggle ahead.

Anonymous
Anonymous
11 months ago

I said it in the open thread and I’ll say it again: centrism in many ways is just fascism that hides itself behind “respectability”. I’m sure that if Trump wasn’t as openly crude and his his racism/sexism/everything else behind dog whistles like the “good” politicians, they’d have been the first to vote for him.

Clever4agirl
Clever4agirl
11 months ago

Trump supporters need to be shamed, mocked and made uncomfortable, maybe, MAYBE, in six months we can ask, “y’all ready to act right?”

11 months ago

All of this. I’m getting so frustrated with these takes on Twitter. Even if the fans hadn’t built a brand around cruelty and assholishness, this is asking us to be fascist sympathizers. If you sympathize with a fascist, they’ve got their foot in the door.

I doubt Pence would pardon Trump because that would require Trump to resign and for a narcissist like him that would be like suicide. I just hope Biden doesn’t fall for this. I understand why Joe is talking the way he is, I just really wish he wouldn’t because it isn’t helping and is likely making things worse.

@Anonymous
Centrism is 99% of the time a disguise for fascism. They use the insipid both sides narrative and Golden mean fallacy to justify it all, and then pretend to be neutral when bad stuff happens. There is no neutral in a system of oppression, the pretense of neutrality is usually a sign of being complicit.

@clever4agirl
You’re far more optimistic than I am. QAnon will probably be with us for years now that it’s caught on and there are Q-believing legislators. We just need to shame and repudiate at every turn for the foreseeable future.

Last edited 11 months ago by Naglfar
Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
11 months ago

Reach out to them? We’ve tried that, and were mocked, jeered, beaten, and otherwise abused for our pains.

Let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.

Anonymous
Anonymous

@Naglfar

Fall for it? He was one of the people that started it.

@Anonymous
I don’t mean the rhetoric, I know that ship has sailed. What I meant (and poorly articulated) was that I hope he doesn’t pardon Trump. That would be a disaster.

ObSidJag
ObSidJag
11 months ago

As we sometimes say down here in Texas, “Hell to the no.”

And I’ll add a “Fuck that noise.”

Not exactly feeling charitable tonight as I still don’t trust some of these pendejos (giving you the death stare, Rethug governors) not to try to do an end run around our vote and send in *their* hand-picked Nazi electors.

While I’m glad Biden/Harris reached the 270+ mark, I’m not ready to exhale just yet.

Last edited 11 months ago by ObSidJag
nobody
nobody

@Naglfar
Centrism can be a cover for Ur-fascism, but it’s more good old fashioned privileged cowardice from the fear any investment in social justice will lead to accusations of “Socialism”. Not to excuse it, but one needs to be accurate to effectively refute it. The response should be, “Look at who voted you in office! They WANT you to be left, not ‘middle of the road’!”

As for the feelings of Trumplicans,hmmm….

I don’t really care, do U?

Kobun37
Kobun37
11 months ago

I’ve thought about this a lot over the past four years. I live in rural Idaho and I’m surrounded by Trump supporters. Loads of them. Going by the 2016 voting record 2 out of 3 adults I see every day voted for him.

Many of them aren’t horrible people and are in fact quite nice on the surface and some of them I have to deal with day-to-day. But of course they support Trump, who is a shitstain of a human being. They are willing to at least ignore or make excuses for his evil, if not outright endorse it.

I’m at a loss on how I should deal with this. So far I’ve been avoiding the subject of politics because I get really worked up and don’t want to burn bridges, but is that the right approach? Yeah, there’s super nasty aggressive Trump supporters out there but what about the ones who aren’t?

Moggie
Moggie
11 months ago

Notice how these calls for empathy and reaching across the aisle only ever go in one direction?

Lainy
Lainy

Fuck them

WingedShadow
WingedShadow
11 months ago

After the last 4 years they should consider themselves lucky only their feelings are being hurt.

@Kobun37

Idk your situation, so take this with a a grain of salt, but I’d say to make decisions with your own safety as top priority. They’re going to be mad, and potentially dangerous. It might be best if possible to avoid unnecessary dealings with them, especially given the anti-mask nature of many conservatives right now. Not sure how possible that is if you’re surrounded though.

@Moggie

I think it’s a function of their interpretation of their rights. They think that their right to freedom of speech means a right to people agreeing with them, and that’s the only outcome that will satisfy them. They’ve thought this since before the Civil War (e.g. the fugitive slave act) and still think it today. That extends to our emotions: they think they’re entitled to other people functioning as emotional affirmations.

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
11 months ago

Showing empathy to these guys doesn’t seem to work. They take it as endorsement.

Mogwitch
Mogwitch
11 months ago

The left‘s revenge will be to provide Trumpists access to healthcare, a better education for their children, fresher air, cleaner water, an economy thats better for almost everyone in it, and oh yeah, the slight possibility of a planet viable for human civilisation. I think it’s quite rich to ask us to hug them on top of all that.

Last edited 11 months ago by Mogwitch
Dalillama
11 months ago

Come up with one issue you can agree on.

There aren’t any. Not a single one. The reason is that conservatives hate the idea of a functional society and oppose anything that might help create or maintain one, which is kind of the polar opposite of my position.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Hard pass.

Diego
Diego

@Lainy

Unfuck them. They should remain on the “unfuckable” list for the remainder of their miserable lives. We don’t want them raising and indoctrinating children.

I am personally cutting ties and shaming the fuck out of any friends and family who rooted for that miserable Nazi. I thought I’d done that in 2016, but it seems I missed a few of them who were too shy to admit it.

@Naglfar

The whole Q-anon thing is just a cover for blatant Nazism. I’ve said this before but it bears repeating: the purpose of conspiracy theories is not to “feel part of something special” but to externalize blame for the failed policies of hegemonic groups of power. And that blame is externalize onto vulnerable groups as a means to drive the narrative that they are, somehow, sabotaging the system and need to be exterminated.

And I know I’m preaching to the choir, but yeah, Nazism will survive for decades to come thanks to this shit show. Trump made it mainstream and I am doubtful the democrats will prosecute Trump and his admin for crimes against humanity.

M Manu Rere
M Manu Rere
11 months ago

The Trumpies (a.k.a. fascists, don’t @ me) have been insisting for years that they feel no reason to empathize with or recognize the humanity of anyone remotely like me. I hope people will excuse my inclination to return the sentiment, regardless of what arch-neolib Joe Biden might say.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
11 months ago

This Thanksgiving, a newly appointed lame duck will pardon a chicken, who the goes to live in Turkey.

Tovius
11 months ago

These snowflakes need to fuck off.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

No need to post them on here, but over the last couple of days I’ve seen a stream of responses from Trumpists who are literally baying for blood and threatening to kill people, over the election. But pwease be nice to the poor babies…
But as folks here have pointed out, even without that, there’s more than enough reason not to extend any sympathy to them whatsoever.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
11 months ago

@anonymous, @naglfar : your talk of centrism as a disguise for fascism is only valid in America. And it’s more about both sideism really. But I do agree that thoses bothsideists fuckers are lightly disguised nazis.

(in France, the same kind of people are self-defined as right wing, “for the economy” guy ; I suspect the total disintegration of the Republican old ideal and its integration into the Democratic Party is the problem)

The same kind of fuckers are thoses who loudly insist that Trump represent neglected popular classes. Even outside of the fact it would not justify anything Trump did, it’s a lot more about him doing less badly than he should among them than anything.

Rohan
Rohan
11 months ago

It has become a tradition for Democrats to act in the spirit of collegiality and bipartisanship when in power and for the Republicans to laugh and behave like total shitbags when it’s their turn. When will this ever end?

mouse sparrow
mouse sparrow

@Lainy

I hope you and yours are okay.
I read you were all sick?
I’m not sure if that’s correct, but if it is I hope you all get better as soon as possible.

Battering Lamb
Battering Lamb
11 months ago

Just take a timer and wait how long it takes for jews to pop up in any conspiracy theory. Not very long, though some hide it better.

As for the centrism vs bothsides-ism… I think Ohlman is right that it’s more valid when talking about the US. I also think that the US having only two parties with a real chance at being elected is part of that problem. The democrats are called leftist because they are clearly to the left of the republicans. However, in comparison to the rest of the world, aside from some social issues, it’s be more accurate to call them centre-right to right wing. It’s just that the republicans are so far-right almost anything would look leftist by comparison.

11 months ago

Nazism and fascism in general have a ton to do with conspirationism anyhow. There’s no reason to oppose them or suppose they aren’t compatible. In fact, I would say a foundational part of nazism is conspiracy thinking.

In fact, racism in general and antisemitism in particular are super handy as a way to pin to exterior forces your failures. Not only that, but it’s a lot easier to kill jews than to work on self improvement, let go of the past, accept that one isn’t special, all that.

In other words, it’s *both* to feel part of something special, to reject blame on the outgroup, and to get an “easy” solution to all that.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera
11 months ago

What makes it worse is that some Republican figures like Mitt Romney are taking “the decent route” and offering congratulations to Biden and Harris, with no signs of bitterness.

I call virtue signalling. I don’t trust them. It’s a play to act all nice so that if liberals call for justice and punishment they can pretend we are being “the unreasonable ones.”

Last edited 11 months ago by sunnysombrera

@Diego

Oh, definitely. QAnon, much like the propaganda of the original Nazis, is a justifier. Trump fans can justify doing whatever bad thing they want when they’re convinced that their enemies are a satanic pedophile ring. Just like how the original Nazis were able to feel justified when they thought that Jews were controlling their world. Nobody wants to be the villain in their own narrative, so they come up with ideas like QAnon to claim the other side is worse.

@Battering Lamb

And this is the problem. There is no viable left wing party in America, just a center right to right wing one (Democratic) and an extreme right wing fascist death cult (Republican). Ideally the extreme right death cult would disintegrate and the Democratic Party could split into two new parties, one that is more establishment and one that is more progressive (i.e. AOC and those with similar views). However, this is unlikely to happen any time soon.

@sunnysombrera
I’m treating any Republican that turns on Trump now with extreme suspicion. They had 4 years. They didn’t change, they’re just rats fleeing a sinking ship. Do not trust them.

Last edited 11 months ago by Naglfar
11 months ago

@Sunny : that’s possible, but they may also be genuine. The good thing is that if they are genuine, there’s no need to reciprocate.

The republican party isn’t monolithically made of nazi ideologues. There’s a ton of them, mostly among the advisors of Trump, but there’s also a ton of spineless, faithless shitstains like Romney. Thoses don’t care about the racism, or any ideology, and will gladly accept anything that advance theirs goals. Since Trump is a mean for an end, they are sincere when dropping ship and saying congratulation to the new president.

They also will turn on Biden, or anyone for that matter, as soon as it’s convenient for them to do so. They’re pretty reliable in that. In a sense, I can see much more easily given a job back to Romney than to Trump, because you just have to carve him a post where his interest and your interest will coincide, and jettison him as soon as it don’t.

(of course, that would be if Romney had any useful skill whatsoever, which is doubtful)

Cindy
Cindy
11 months ago

Fuck the trumpers. Let them rot. I hope every single Trump voter gets covid. (in minecraft)

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
11 months ago

Why would they even want empathy? Republicans have made it crystal clear that they despise empathy. They regard any human feelings other than rage and contempt as weakness.

What is there even to be empathetic towards? Blindly upraised middle fingers don’t have feelings behind them. They’re just upset and fearful that a white male bully finally has to face some consequences, and what that means for their ability to abuse people.

Why do they want OUR empathy? They’ve spent the last four years jeering at us, turning their backs on us, treating Democrats as illegitimate, and governing as if the blue states don’t even exist. We don’t count, remember? We’re not fully equal humans in their eyes. Leftists get dismissed as NPCs. Incels think women are just robots programmed to respond to social media likes and attention from Chad. Why is it suddenly a thing now that we have inner emotions, which they are entitled to?

When they ask for empathy, they’re really asking us to perform weakness for them, so they can feel reassured that the status quo hasn’t really changed. They’re asking us, once again, to put aside our needs and center them. They’re the kicked-out abusive partner pleading at the door for one more chance.

Sorry, MAGA hats. It’s not on us to do the work of reconciliation with people who have spent the last several decades working tirelessly to impoverish, sicken, evict, subjugate, marginalize, disenfranchise and kill us. Millions of us will never trust or respect you again.

Last edited 11 months ago by Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements
11 months ago

It doesn’t. I get a Twitter page with a video but it just goes into an endless loop of alternately buffering and saying “The media could not be played”. Network monitoring tools show that Firefox is not even receiving very much data while it’s allegedly buffering.

11 months ago

@Buttercup : hypocrisy I guess ?

The one I have to be on talking term with seem to insist the situation is different from 2016. Something among the line that they did it to save the world, so gloating accepted, and “we” did it to destroy the world, so we should not gloat on top of that.

Independantly of that, I also have the feeling a lot of trumpards have had repressed doubts and unconsciously feared it was all a scam. Their defeat reactivate thoses doubts and make it doubly painful. Most cope with that by doubling on trumpardism, because sunken cost fallacy etc etc. Maybe also because having a redeeming glimpse of clarity is too much too ask from them I guess.

Lukas Xavier
Lukas Xavier

@Dalillama
<blockquote>
<blockquote>Come up with one issue you can agree on.</blockquote>
There aren’t any. Not a single one.</blockquote>
Even if some small matter could be found, it’s rather undermined by the fact that they utterly hate me and everyone I care about, and will actively work to harm us.

I’m supposed to just ignore that?
Umm, no.

***
Okay, I can’t get the blockquotes to work right. Work it out.

Last edited 11 months ago by Lukas Xavier

@Cindy

I hope every single Trump voter gets covid.

Once again, can we fucking NOT? If that happened a hell of a lot of non-Trumpers would get sick and possibly die. You’re writing off a ton of people as collateral damage.

At some point I think I’m going to have to email David about you.

@Ohlmann
I do think there is some kind of sink cost fallacy at play, but I think it goes further than that. Scarily enough, a lot of Americans just seem to like authoritarianism and have bought into all the propaganda. This didn’t start with Trump.

Last edited 11 months ago by Naglfar
11 months ago

@Nagflar : the love for authoritarism is real, and due to how authoritarism tend to present itself as a simple solution to complex problems. Hitting liberals, jews, and LGBT was supposed to make their life better somehow. Similar to how when they are little they hoped beating up bullies would make their life better.

The sunken cost fallacy intervene because despite four years of Trump, their life isn’t better, their designated enemies aren’t that worse off than four year ago, and their back-of-the-head doubt about Trump being a scam are validated ; but it’s still less painful and less resistance to ignore that and double down.

Almost all democratically-elected authoritarians are on some level scam artists, because they promise things that their methods cannot get. Trump is really more on the scam artist side compared to Putin or the leaders of China, because not only he make promises his methods can’t keep, but he don’t have the modicum of administrative and propaganda skill to make thing appear to work.

@Ohlmann

They have now internalized Trump as a part of their collective identity, so to turn back now would be to abandon that. They’d feel hollow, and they would rather keep worshipping their idol than accept reality.

Diego
Diego

@Naglfar

This is why MLK Jr. said he regarded the “moderates” as the biggest hurdle for overcoming racism, as opposed to the overt racists. Because liberals exclusive and deliberate purpose, for a while now, has been to siphon outrage and energy from grassroots movements and make sure it doesn’t translate into actual policies.

The most blatant example of this was with Obama, who walked into the White House with 59 senators, and wasted 8 years trying to get the democrats to hold hands and sing Kumbaya with the republicans. This attitude of “we’re moving forwards and not holding anyone accountable” was what made the downward slide towards fascism possible and the same can be said for no addressing the material needs of people.

When the economy starts collapsing and hurting everyone, a populist is going to get elected no matter what you say. So you have to choose between a leftist populist or a fascist. The democrats spent 8 years pretending to be incompetent at fighting off the republicans, despite the fact that they could’ve done away with the legislative filibuster and told Mitch McConnell to go fuck himself, but they didn’t because they knew what the game plan was.

And yet the minute actual candidates (Sanders and Warren) start discussing actual policies that could vastly improve the living conditions of millions, including conservatives, they set about demonizing them. The minute they become a threat, then the democrats coalesce like never before and actually show how fucking competent they are in fighting back.

I will never forget how Nancy Pelosi spent years not saying shit about Trump throwing kids into concentration camps, but the moment AOC brought up her Green New Deal she went out of her way to criticize her at home and abroad. And it was purely out of spite too, because she was literally abroad during a visit and she somehow managed to twist the questions reporters asked her just to mock AOC in no less than four occasions. Then she got back home and further ostracized her and the Squad, as they were getting death threats, which culminated in Trump seizing on this opportunity to tell them to go back where they came from.

Let’s also not forget on Pelosi actually abusing her power and black-listing companies who support progressives over “unity within the party”. Yet the minute an outsider runs to unseat incumbent progressives she was all-in in those races trying to unseat the Squad and everyone else, like the hypocrite she is. I really fucking hope she and Dianne Feinstein get kicked to the curb in 2022.

comment image

What a surprise, trumpards going full nazi as soon as they can.

@Diego
Chuck Schumer also needs to go. At the very least someone in the senate ought to challenge Schumer for the party leadership and someone in the house should try to take on Pelosi. I highly doubt that that will happen, though.

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
11 months ago

Today I heard someone say “I don’t care who won, I’m just glad the election’s over. I’m done.”

Wow, the privilege… dude, we almost lost our democracy and Trumpies were talking about executions. This is not the time to put your head in the sand!!

I mean, I’m also glad the election is over, I get that, but to not care who won this election?

Last edited 11 months ago by Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org
11 months ago

Do not forgive Trump supporters, they have no interest in being forgiven. They do not want to repent, or admit they made mistakes, or reconcile with us. They’ve chosen not to be empathized with.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it
11 months ago

I don’t – and have never – and will never – sympathize with Dump supporters.

My 80 year old mother is a Fox News watcher. She texted me yesterday, something about software in Wisconsin changing votes for Trump, into votes for Biden. I asked where she heard this. Her answer – on Fox News, either from Lou Dobbs, or Tucker Carlson. I didn’t bother to try to convince her that this was bulls**t; I’m just disappointed in her. She’s not a stupid woman. She was the first person in her family to graduate from college, with honors, and was valedictorian of her high school class. I’m reasonably certain she doesn’t suffer from dementia. I just don’t understand how she can be so gullible. I suppose she believes what she wants to believe, like so many other people.

She also mentioned Hunter Biden’s laptops, and how MSNBC failed to report on this. Again, I kept silent. I’m not going to change her mind.

Like David, my first memory of politics is related to Nixon – I watched him on TV, getting into the helicopter after resigning. If anything, I took from it a belief that all politicians were hopelessly corrupt.

11 months ago

@Dormousing : your story is a sad reminder that not every Trump supporter is stupid or with dementia 😡

I believe it’s because in the end, it’s a cozier, simpler vision of life. And it’s hard (and painful for close relative) to try to pry people out of that cult.

Dalillama

@Ohlmann
In the end, it comes down to racism. People aren’t supporting Trump and watching Fox because it’s ‘simple’, they’re doing it because they’re really fucking racist. You can tell, by how people who aren’t really fucking racist don’t embrace racist propaganda.

11 months ago

@Dalillama : that’s not exactly at odds with what I say. Racism isn’t an essential part of a psyche, it’s a mean to an end, and racism is the way those people simplify their world. When trying to construct a worldview with good peoples and evil people, it often end in a ton of racism (and classism and sexism and all variations).

Also, remember that almost all people are vulnerable to propaganda, to a point. Right wing seem to use more of it, but I have seen plenty of left wing people parroting stupid things because propaganda said it to them.

In part, it’s because (litteraly) nobody have the time to properly follow every single information in the world, so we rely on other people to summarize that. Propaganda is a malevolent information summarizer that is nonetheless trusted. People that are lazy on that front are much more vulnerable, since they need less news source to be compromised, but everyone have at least some vulnerability.

11 months ago

I have seen that screenshot on twitter :

comment image%3Fname%3Dorig

Except I can’t find the article. I tried to find it because the byline felt strange.

If someone find that article, or something corroborating that, I am interested. As is, I think it’s a manipulation. If it is true, it’s sad for the families of those people.

1 2 3