trump

No, you don’t need to sympathize with Trump supporters right now — or ever

Remember these two?

It’s PLEDGE DRIVE time! If you’re a fan of this blog, please help fund its continued existence by clicking the button below. THANKS!

donate button

There are a lot of bad tweets making the rounds on this, the day of Donald Trump’s more-or-less-official defeat. But the most infuriating one I’ve run across so far comes from political scientist Ian Bremmer:

Can’t we all just get along, he asks. No, we can’t.

It’s not just that Trump supporters have steadfastly refused to treat their opponents — us — with empathy or respect; indeed, many of them spent the past four years gloating about Trump’s victory in 2016 with a sadistic glee. I can’t count the number of times a MAGA-head has responded to my criticisms of Trump with some variant of “cry more.”

But the problem goes well beyond the fact that the typical Trump supporter can be a bit of a jerk sometimes. The problem is that they’ve devoted themselves to supporting a incompetent, inhumane, and deeply racist tinpot autocrat with a distinctly fascist sheen. They supported him when he tried to ban all Muslim’s from traveling to this country; they supported him when ICE began kidnapping babies en masse; they supported his attempts to destroy the affordable care act and rip insurance coverage from millions of the most vulnerable. They made excuses when Trump expressed sympathy for alt-right Nazis. They’ve defended his assault on democracy itself.

Make no mistake, had Trump won the election it would probably have been the last even somewhat democratic election in the United States for years if not decades to come.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that his fans cheered his absolute non-response to COVID, which has led to countless unnecessary deaths, perhaps as many as several hundred thousand before the pandemic runs its course. He’s encouraged his supporters to not wear masks, making it impossible to control the pandemic and putting each and every one of us at heightened risk of catching and possibly dying of the disease.

And did I mention that a significant portion of Trump’s supporters have their heads full of QAnon and other nonsense conspiracy theories and literally want to see everyone from Hillary Clinton to Chrissy Teigen executed for their imaginary crimes against humanity?

I could go on, and on, and on. But let me just move directly to my final point: We can’t offer our sympathies to Trump voters yet because, to put it bluntly, they’re still out there, and still our enemies. They will be doing everything they can to tear down the Biden administration; some will almost certainly do so with violence — and become MAGA heroes like the multiple murderer Kyle Rittenhouse. This is the reality we face right now. There’s nothing warm and fuzzy about it.

Trump supporters don’t deserve our sympathy, and they’re not going to get it, at least not from me .

Bremmer wasn’t the only one posting nonsense today:

Really? Really? One of my very first political memories is of Gerald Ford pardoning Richard Nixon. I was just a kid, but even then I knew there was something deeply wrong about Ford pardoning the guy who had just elevated him to president. And now some people want Biden to pardon the worst grifter to ever inhabit the White House? Please. If Trump wants a pardon, make him do it himself by working out some deal with Mike Pence. If Trump gets pardoned by Pence, it will leave a stain on the office of the presidency. But at least it won’t leave a stain on Biden as well.

What makes the talk of sympathy especially dangerous is that Biden has been talking the same way. We elected him to end Trump and Trumpism, and already he’s talking as if the deep political animosities we face today can be handwaved away. There are good reasons why we see these opponents as enemies. Winning the election feels good, but let’s not let that deceive us as to the nature of our foes or the enormity of the struggle ahead.

@Ohlmann
The screenshot is doctored or the article has been taken down. I searched CNN’s website and Twitter and there is nothing of the sort. I also couldn’t find anything suggesting this in an internet search. I’d imagine this is a fake screenshot (they’re easy to do) by conservatives to make Joe Biden and Democrats look bad and to play the victim.

ETA: Just checked the beginning of the link and am now 99% sure this is a fake. It’s probably conservatives trying to pretend to be victims, seeing as after the 2016 election a lot of conservative trolls devoted much time to telling Clinton supporters to kill themselves.

Last edited 16 days ago by Naglfar
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)

@Ohlmann

It’s fake.

CNN Breaking NEVER uses full URLs. Always shorteners.

(They also really wouldn’t direct to google for one of their own stories, but … that bit’s obvious 😛 )

Last edited 16 days ago by Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Ohlmann
Ohlmann
16 days ago

Thanks for the confirmation. I could easily have believed that there is a bunch of suicide attempt, so I guess it’s a good thing the byline felt off …

Mabret the Virile Maiden
Mabret the Virile Maiden
16 days ago

Even if it were real, I couldn’t feel too bad for them, considering their habit of telling us trans people that they hope we kill ourselves.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
16 days ago

@Mabret : I would not feel bad for them, but I would feel bad for their families. And I don’t feel like cheering on their deaths. Re-read the story of the grandmother of Dormousing for why.

On other news, there’s litteral calls for a coup : https://www.thedailybeast.com/newt-gingrich-calls-on-attorney-general-bill-barr-to-arrest-poll-workers?ref=home

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements
16 days ago

The site’s been well behaved for the past couple of months but it seems something is eating some of my comments again. And the new photo upload feature doesn’t seem to be working properly for me, either.

Alan Robertshaw
16 days ago

We have some clever maths people here; so could I pray a favour. Can anyone interpret this to see if we can get a figure for how much more likely a Republican voter is to get COVID vs a Democrat?

I’d then like to apply that to Corona deaths in the areas where the vote was close and compare that to Biden’s winning margin.

I’m curious as to whether Trump’s reckless handling of the pandemic contributed to his downfall in literal terms. I’ll probably have to adjust for inevitable deaths; but I’ve seen estimates as to how many deaths could have been prevented had a more coherent strategy been adopted; so I can apply that.

Kobun37
Kobun37

Gonna be a long one…

I think individuals can act towards Trump supporters any way they want. That’s their right. Putting that aside…

Yesterday I went to Brietbart and looked at the comment section on the article about Biden being called the winner. Most of the comments are people being salty and claiming it doesn’t mean anything, which they’re right. Until the electoral college meets to certify the results and do their bit he’s not legally President-elect. Of course, if it were Trump in the same position (shudder) they would have no issue calling him the winner. There are also a lot of people convinced that the Democrats cheated and stole the election and throwing around debunked conspiracies like “Sharpiegate” and “we weren’t allowed to observe.” There are also some who believe faithless electors in the EC are going to hand it to Trump or the Supreme Court is going to ride to his rescue because of whatever legal mumbo jumbo he’s supposedly going to pull out of his ass next week. A few are threatening violence, because of course they are. These people are never going to accept that Trump lost, they don’t want compromise or middle ground and even if they don’t go full on terrorist they’re going to be putting pressure on the Republicans in Congress.

Mitch and his buddies are going to try their hardest to stymie everything, choke the recovery and make Biden look as bad as possible so they can win in 2022.

If the Republicans retain control of the Senate, that means we’re going to have to get the cooperation of at least a few of them to pass anything there. That means we much as we don’t like the few of them that aren’t total spineless Trump bootlickers, it’s probably better not to go full scorched earth there unless…

Everything hinges on winning those two open Georgia seats and defeating the Republican incumbents. If the Democrats can win them they effectively have control of the Senate and all bets are off. The right wing propaganda machine is going to go full out there.

Last edited 16 days ago by Kobun37
Hambeast
Hambeast

Clever4agirl said

Trump supporters need to be shamed, mocked and made uncomfortable, maybe, MAYBE, in six months we can ask, “y’all ready to act right?”

This.

I, too was a kid when Ford pardoned Nixon (not likely for Pence to do for his master since the Carrion King will never resign*). Between that and Obama’s “Look forward, not backward” treatment of Bush’s torture scandal, I think the let-bygones-be-bygones thing can be deemed a dismal failure and that we need to have some good old fashioned consequences that might serve as a deterrent to anyone looking to repeat bad behavior at the national level.

*or maybe even leave! But, if he’s serious about having to be dragged kicking and screaming from the White House, great! Go right on ahead and make it extra entertaining and schadenfreude-y! Watch parties will abound.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Ohlmann

Also, remember that almost all people are vulnerable to propaganda, to a point

Which would be why I specified racist propaganda. People who aren’t already really fucking racist don’t fall for Fox News-type bullshit. It’s just that straightforward.

Re-read the story of the grandmother of Dormousing for why.

I’ll bite. Why?

North Sea Sparkly Dragon
North Sea Sparkly Dragon
16 days ago

I’m happy for USian Mammotheers that the tango tyrant has been defeated, but as I understand it, Biden is still the equivalent of a Tory by UK standards. So I am still very concerned for the safety of everyone, as I am here in the UK under Tory (SCUM) rule. My base state is treat everyone with empathy and respect. You really have to push me for that to change. I can’t cause harm because I can feel the harm. The sort of people who are in power are the sort who enjoy it and don’t really care how much they harm others so long as it doesn’t harm their bank accounts. Those who voted for Fart need to reap the social consequences of the harm they sowed by voting for Fart in the first place. They have no empathy for the vulnerable and socially marginalised, they shouldn’t expect empathy in return. Bollocks to them, they can swim in their tears.

griffon8
griffon8
16 days ago

There is a good legal argument to be made that 45 can pardon himself. Fortunately, that can’t include state crimes.

@Hambeast

If he barricades himself in the Oval Office for the next couple months, they should put cameras in there and put the whole thing on live TV. For the season finale, drag him out before the inauguration. Maybe then he’ll finally get an Emmy.

Banananananana dakry: still fat and deranged
Banananananana dakry: still fat and deranged
16 days ago

To feel empathy for someone requires that they have it first.

I don’t want to put myself in their shoes. Their viewpoints make my physically sick.

Oh, and my hardcore Trumpist FIL apparently called me a ‘wacko’ on FB, but that’s just about par for the course. To say Mr. Dakry is not amused by this is understating wildly.

Kobun37
Kobun37
16 days ago

Seeing all the media attention on Biden and what he’s going to do during his term and what his plans are and world leaders and some of the Republican old guard (not that they’re good people) congratulating him and so on and so on it must be like a knife twisting in Trump’s gut. That’s probably why he’s been in hiding for days. He just can’t stand it that he’s not in the spotlight and the center of attention anymore. And when his lawsuits fail everyone but his supporters are just going to laugh at him and the wheels of government are just going to keep on turning toward Inauguration Day.

He and his synchophants deserve every second of pain and humiliation coming his way and I’m going to enjoy every nanosecond.

Last edited 16 days ago by Kobun37

@Kobun37

To someone with an ego like Trump, this must be a fate worse than death.

That said, I am still highly cynical towards the Republicans just turning against him now. As entertaining as watching his party turn on him is, they’re not doing it because they’ve changed. They’re doing it because they don’t want him to drag them down with him.

Lukas Xavier
Lukas Xavier

Very much this.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
16 days ago

@Dalillama : that’s complete, utter bullshit. Anyone can fall to racist propaganda. People aren’t binarily racist, and some became it, or go along a racist fantasy more for the other effect than just to be racist. The fact you believe being not racist protect you is a real problem BTW, one you will not admit under any circumstance of course.

If harm come to the grandmother of Dormousing_it, Dormousing *will* be affected, because even if that shit affect their relations they are still family. I have no reason to do something that, essentially, will only affect decent people among the one I know.

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements
Diego
Diego

@Ohlmann

Most people are racist because that’s what society literally infuses into you, making a distinction between the in-group and the “others”. Even POC can be coded into hating darker skinned groups.

However, there is a glaring difference between the subtle racism and the over-the-top, blatant-as-fuck racism displayed in Fox News, and there is absolutely no way of hiding the incredible displays of racism from MAGA culture.

Anyone who fell for it is a racist POS and cannot excuse themselves under any circumstance. I personally cut off any friend or family member who supported that Nazi. They deserve no sympathy, and have no excuse. You have a habit of trying to exonerate these people whilst blaming and tone policing victims, which has become recurrent in every thread.

I get there are nuances, but there’s nuance and there’s playing devil’s advocate every time the topic of racism comes up. You have some serious self-reflection to do.

Last edited 15 days ago by Diego
Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

@Threp (formerly Shadowplay):

CNN Breaking NEVER uses full URLs. Always shorteners.

Also, “How to respond to what could quickly become a national health emergency will effect Biden’s first hundred days” is a really awkwardly-constructed sentence, and they mixed up “effect” and “affect.” This might not be a clincher – I’ve seen many genuine headlines that were badly-written — but it’s another point towards this being a fake.

Hambeast
Hambeast
15 days ago

Naglfar, Dump doesn’t have to go anywhere until the day after Inauguration Day. But a limited edition type reality show would be great until then.

I’m also not fooled by the Republican rats fleeing the flaming dumpster on the sinking ship. My tenant keeps texting me Repub tweets and saying “look what this Republican said!” as if it means something. I stopped responding. Tenant thinks I’m much too cynical and I think they’re a sweet summer child.

@Hambeast

But a limited edition type reality show would be great until then.

That’s sort of what I was envisioning. We could watch him fall apart in real time.

I’m getting a lot of that from older relatives who aren’t Republicans but are more establishment Democrat types. These are the kinds of people who think that The Lincoln Project was a good thing after it failed to make Republicans not vote for Trump (a greater percentage voted for him this year compared to 2016) and took $67,000,000 to set up another conservative media outlet.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga
15 days ago

Trust people when they show you who they really are.

It’s up to us to never forget who the Trumpstains have shown themselves to be.

Dalillama

@Ohlmann
Your unexamined racism isn’t my problem, son. Neither is your gullibility, or your ignorance, nor yet the feelings of fascist sympathizers (which category includes everyone who continues to voluntarily associate with such filth, regardless of their previous relationship).
Those of us who aren’t crypto-fascists can perfectly well see fascist propaganda for what it is, and the people who choose to buy into it for what they are.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
15 days ago

@Dalillama : your complex of superiority that feed into the fact you’re primed to be a future fascist enforcer isn’t my problem.

You alway act all smug and sure of yourself, and my problem with that is that the guys I know with that attitude in the 1980’s are all, at best, ultra neoliberal, and at worse fascists enforcer. If you actually studied the history of left wing movement, you would know that falling into fascism is a recurring problem, especially on the extreme one, because the profile of extremism, especially doubled by too much self confidence, is pretty much idealy suited for fasciosm too.

You can say I am a crypto fasciste all you want. You still would not be able to see all fascist propaganda for what it is, *because* you think it would be self evident. As for I, I hope you will just be a ridiculous self righteous basement warrior, because you also have the potential to be a brownshirt, and I know which possibility I prefer.

Jesalin
Jesalin
15 days ago

It’s almost amusing that you gob off at Dali and ignore the righteous smackdown from Diego, going to pretend it didn’t happen?

Jesalin
Jesalin
15 days ago

And on a different note, a big “Hai!” to anyone who remembers me.

Lainy
Lainy

@Cindy

How about you shut the fuck up and take a long walk off a short pier. Preferably in dangerous waters (in Minecraft)

bekabot
bekabot
15 days ago

This takes me back to my days as a bullied grade-and-middle-school kid. My parents, much though it pains me to say it now, weren’t really on my side at the time. They kept asking me why I couldn’t get along with the other kids. (A few years ago my mother reluctantly admitted that she no longer thought all of it was my fault. Better late than never, I suppose.) I was too young and too flummoxed at that point to reply that there’s no way to get along with people who’d rather be run over by an eighteen-wheeler than get along with you, but that’s what I was thinking, and that’s what I’m thinking now. The lessons I learned then are with me still. Conservatives aren’t wrong about everything: some things either don’t change or change so slowly that within an individual lifetime the change can’t be seen.

Which is why — though I’m happy Joe Biden was elected — I’m not overjoyed. I’m not inclined to shout hosanna and dance in the streets, because that kind of thing seems like it’s premature under the circumstances. We’ve spent the last four years telling each other that Trump is the symptom and not the disease, and we weren’t wrong. Another thing we’re in the process of finding out is that if you’re going to be sick, you may be better off if you’re asymptomatic, but your neighbors are better off if you’re symptomatic, because that’s when they know that it would be a good idea to avoid you, so as not to pick up the infection themselves. If you look and act perfectly well, neither you nor they are going to know that you’re a danger, so they don’t have the option of keeping out of your way.

We’re in a somewhat, though not exactly, analogous situation. If the reports of the patient’s death have been exaggerated, reports of the patient’s illness have been legit; what’s more and what’s worse, the patient is surrounded by ill-wishers who don’t want him to survive. IOW, we have yet to truly and verifiably pull through. We may have gotten out of the ICU but we’re not yet outside the hospital doors. Plus, we’re sharing space and resources with people don’t like us much and who are itching to hear bad news, if not cause it. Even if we do pull through, we’ll be battling an endangered frame and a weakened constitution for the rest of our days. So, the prognosis is not rosy. We’re not in great shape. The danger isn’t over. We have to get used to the idea that we’re in this for the long haul. (Dammit.)

JMO. (Sorry for doldrums.)

Diego
Diego

@Jesalin

Hey Jesalin! How’ve you been? Plenty of regulars seem to have disappeared over time. Hopefully they are all alive and well, and just trying to cope with life. I took a break myself, but things seem to be looking up on this end.

What about you? Came back to join the festivities?

@Jesalin
Welcome back! How are you these days?

nobody
nobody

@Ohlmann

Nazism and fascism in general have a ton to do with conspirationism anyhow. There’s no reason to oppose them or suppose they aren’t compatible. In fact, I would say a foundational part of nazism is conspiracy thinking.

In fact, racism in general and antisemitism in particular are super handy as a way to pin to exterior forces your failures.

This is extremely insightful, thank you. It’s one of those obvious connections… there’s a reason 90% of conspiracies have anti-semitism at the root… but the idea it’s baked into racism needs to be highlighted more.

too.

The type of person you are describing….along with a lack of self reflection…is the root of why too many radical leftists fall for this Horseshoe Effect, where they end up siding with historical enemies just because they are anti government.

Someone I know in the Antifa community was involved with a radical left bookstore whose FOUNDER was outed by Antifa after peddling softcore anti-semitism in the left radical community FOR 25 YEARS.

The community is still crippled by this event. People who believe they can’t be fooled or manipulated are naive at best, dangerously arrogant at worst.

There is an excellent pdf about how to spot and refute/deal with anti-semitism in left spaces. It was out of print but if I can find a link I’ll post it.

Last edited 15 days ago by nobody

@nobody
As a Jew in leftist spaces, I do notice that there certainly is antisemitism. Not as much as on the right, mind you, but it definitely exists. Leftists can and do fall into antisemitic beliefs and stereotyping, because antisemitism is ingrained into our culture like other bigotries are. I can’t count how many times I’ve had to call out progressives for inadvertently pushing the idea of Jews as greedy or controlling the money.

For me, it’s a huge red flag whenever any person or system presents themself/is presented as infallible. I always think of the “unsinkable” Titanic.

nobody
nobody

The Past Didn’t Go Anywhere

Excellent deconstruction and information on spotting anti-semitism in all its forms, especially in left spaces.

Hambeast
Hambeast
14 days ago

Naglfar – Unfortunately, I don’t think I could watch that show unless they blurred his face. I think I’m genuinely permanently scarred from looking at his hateful face for four years. Fortunately, someone, somewhere would certainly start a recap podcast so I wouldn’t have to miss out completely.

nobody
nobody
14 days ago

@Nagflar

or controlling the money.

Hands down the most common path to sucking someone on the left down an anti-Semitic rabbit hole is through critism of the wealthy. Many anti-Semitic dogwhistles play to this ( I’m not sure if it’s design or dumb luck):

“Bankers”
“New World Order”
“Elites”(without qualification)

If one finds themselves with people who once talked about tangible fact based concerns about corporate power or military actions, and it has morphed from “wealthy”>”bankers”, someone is heading down a rabbit hole that ends in blaming Jews.

If objections are met with complaints about “political correctness” or “free speech”, you might have to cut your losses.

Jesalin
Jesalin
14 days ago

@Diego, Naglfar

Hai! I’ve been trying to keep up on the site, I just haven’t had the spoons to participate.

I was supposed to have a follow-up surgery this summer but…Covid, ugh.
So that’s kinda stressful, also my partner is high-risk, so that’s pretty stressful too, I worry every time I have to go out for groceries.

I’ll probably comment on occasion as energy levels permit.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
14 days ago

I was supposed to have a follow-up surgery this summer but…Covid, ugh.

So that’s kinda stressful,

Hear that. Waiting on mine, too, and it’s getting wearing on the nerves.

Good to see you again!

14 days ago

@Jesalin
It’s good to see you back. Take care of yourself and stay safe.

Dalillama
14 days ago

@Ohlmanncomment image

Classic centrist bullshit, equating hating people who routinely try to kill me and the people I love to to hating people for having the wrong skin tone, gender, etc. ad nauseam.

Also, knowing I’m better than you is an acknowledgment of obvious reality; a superiority complex would imply that I consider myself better than others generally, rather than being better than disingenuous quislings such as yourself. The latter is quite a low bar to clear, really.

Last edited 14 days ago by Dalillama
QuantumInc
QuantumInc
14 days ago

While it is ridiculous to try to defend Trumpists character and Ian Bremmer is obviously naive it is also true that eventually we will have to figure out some way to slow the growth of this semi-fascist, post-truth, overtly racist movement and ideally find a way to de-program alt-right members. I say that with the same certainty I would say that we need to cut carbon emissions and ideally find a way to capture carbon. In both cases it seems obvious what will happen if current trends continue and we do nothing. Demanding that the other side to fix the problem they caused won’t work. There are a handful of good explanations for how the pipeline into the alt-right works, but what about a pipeline out? Obviously there are a lot of individuals that you simply can’t reach; but what is the point of the feminist movement if we believe that people can’t become less sexist and less misogynistic?

Unfortunately while I want to call on everyone to engage more that kinda makes me a hypocrite. Anxiety issues prevented me from engaging online let alone hitting the pavement regularly. (I mean I did go door to door for Bernie once, and went to a George Floyd protest for about an hour.) Trumpism scares me. I know I shouldn’t but often I blame myself and I blame other progressives for not doing more. Meanwhile the Trumpists themselves have gone beyond blame, I don’t really assign them that level of agency anymore, I can only pathologize them.

Reaktor
Reaktor
13 days ago

The problem in a nutshell is that a few people here are to fascism what Joseph McCarthy was to communism.

Last edited 13 days ago by Reaktor
Dalillama
Dalillama
13 days ago

Yes, we want to eliminate fascism, on account of, as I believe has been mentioned, the fucking genocides that fascists continually drool over.

Reaktor
Reaktor
13 days ago

Dalillama, what I mean is that a few (very few, but still) are willing to, either by ignorance or malice, obfuscate what makes a fascist in order to get rid of anyone they don’t like, even non-fascists. “Hey, that neighbour who plays the music too loud? Fascist, kill them!”

Last edited 13 days ago by Reaktor
13 days ago

@Reaktor

I have not heard anything of the sort. This feels like a straw man.

Jesalin
Jesalin
13 days ago

@Threp
Most definitely. Fingers crossed you can get yours soon!

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles
13 days ago

@Reaktor

Are you serious?

Jesalin
Jesalin
13 days ago

I have not heard anything of the sort. This feels like a straw man.

Agreed, I smell bullshit.