coronavirus trump

Trump’s got the ‘rona: Open thread

Don’t worry, Mr. President, it’s just a big hoax

Well. how about THAT for an October Surprise?

I would point out the ironies here but there really aren’t any. It’s basically the opposite of irony: Dude downplays the danger, doesn’t wear a mask and hangs out with other people not wearing masks, all because he thinks he’s a genetically superior human who’s immune to disease. Well, turns out he isn’t.

I have no idea how this is going to play out. This tweet pretty much sums it up:

Yep.

Open thread!

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Diptych
Diptych
21 days ago

(to the tune of I Want Candy) Trump has COVID!

Terra
Terra
21 days ago

You know, there is one thing that kinda scares me: This creates a false sense of security among “liberals” and depresses their turnout. Trump has a really light case, and comes out two weeks later declaring his “just a flu” comment vindicated – and actually capitalizes on this.

In the meantime, the republicans ram through their SCOTUS pick and numerous odious pieces of legislation while everyone watches Trump.

Miri
Miri
21 days ago

Honestly, I’m hoping he dies.

Moggie
Moggie
21 days ago

Viruses came up to me, big, strong viruses, like you’ve never seen, and they had tears in their eyes, and they said “sir, we have to thank you for what you’ve done for the Corona community, which is more than anyone still alive”

@Terra
That worries me too. Not so much the lower turnout (I’m more worried about his other voter suppression plans), but I do worry this will give him more ammo to say it was nothing.

Any idea what the prognosis is for a 73 year old man who only eats fast food and doesn’t exercise?

I do wonder at the very least if this could make some conservatives take it a little more seriously and wear masks, seeing as their dear leader wasn’t immune.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
21 days ago

I hope he die from it too. I am not one for the law of talion, but he have done too much harm already. Related :
comment image

As for prognosis, he have a lot better than 50% odds of survival. COVID is not like rabies, and even in the worsely impacted population there’s less than 50% of heavy consequences, and that’s before taking into account he will be correctly treated.

sarah
sarah
21 days ago

Nothing would make me happier than if he keeled over dead, but, really, he’s lying right? It’s a ruse to somehow fuck the election. Maybe he’ll smother Melania in her sleep, say she died of covid and get some sympathy votes. I just dont believe he has it.

21 days ago

According to CNN, Trump has some sort of heart disease so his odds are reduced a bit.
Someone in the other thread mentioned the debate and how Biden wasn’t that far away from him. Hoping Biden isn’t sick.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
21 days ago

I feel sorry for his nursing team. POTUS is the very definition of “uncooperative and combative patient.”

Moggie
Moggie
21 days ago

Has there ever been a stronger case for a medically-induced coma?

Lizzie
Lizzie
21 days ago

So, have Mike Pence’s prayers been answered or is God just messing with him?

Alan Robertshaw
21 days ago

Bearing in mind Trump’s history of getting other people to take tests for him, how can we be sure he’s even the one who has it?

In more serious news, Pence has so far tested negative; but if he became incapacitated too then Pelosi would end up in charge. Probably unlikely, but what with how things have panned out so far in 2020 I don’t rule anything out any more.

Nancy Martin
Nancy Martin
21 days ago

If he doesn’t have symptoms or only has minor symptoms, my predictions is that we will here the “no worse than the flu” crap again

Cindy
Cindy
21 days ago

Apologies if this violates the comment policy – but yeah, I hope the fucker dies. 🙂

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness
21 days ago

Not everyone who gets the ‘rona develops COVID so Trump may have nothing bad happen to him except that he gets pulled off the campaign trail for two weeks. That’s pretty good anyway, regardless of what else he might develop.

Allandrel
Allandrel
21 days ago

I wonder if they’ll invoke the 25th amendment.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
21 days ago

Welcome all to the Month of Many Surprises. I have a feeling this October will be like an advent calendar of daily surprises.

Cindy
Cindy

@Policy of Madness

True. Though he’s at greater risk than most, being both elderly and morbidly obese.

@Allandrel

I wonder if they’ll invoke the 25th amendment.

Unlikely, even if he was in a vegetative state on life support I feel like they’d either try a Weekend at Bernie’s approach or just pretend it’s normal.

Anyway, it’s good to see you again, I was worried since we hadn’t heard from you in a while.

@Lumipuna
At this rate I’m expecting aliens to arrive by Halloween.

@Cindy
He also has heart disease, which doesn’t help him. We’ll see what happens, it can take time for symptoms to show.

epitome of incomrepehensibility

@Alan – ha!

@Cindy – I think wishing general harm is different than making threats of violence – and frankly, I don’t blame you. But idk about the “morbidly obese” part. I don’t want to be all Language Police, but that term often seems used for fat-shaming under the guise of medical seriousness. Being fat can put people more at risk for some diseases, but so can being skinny.

Last edited 21 days ago by epitome of incomrepehensibility
epitome of incomrepehensibility

Also, yeah, I’m not feeling great amounts of sympathy here, but I can see this happening as @Terra wrote:

Personally, I’m not sure what’d be worse for the country, his getting very sick or not sick at all. He shouldn’t, of course, have been president in the first place.

Anyway, someone in the U.S. I like a lot more than him tested positive for COVID. She’s not a best friend or anything – I worked with her at a summer camp a few years ago – but I sent my best wishes yesterday. She said so far she’s okay, just general stuffiness and a loss of ability to smell things (apparently that’s a common symptom).

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
21 days ago

Also, independantly of language police, Trump probably isn’t morbidly obese. He certainly don’t look like the people I have seen who actually were told they should lose weight or die, if only because he don’t need help to walk.

(note : the fact doctors say to people that they should lose weight or die don’t mean they are right to say so)

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
21 days ago

When Trump tweeted about waiting for his test results, he ended the statement with one of his well-worn stock phrases: “We’ll see what happens” I’ve previously noticed this phrase is a telltale sign of him being worried about something, like “Oh shit, this might go really badly and I can only hope it won’t”

I’m seeing an emerging pattern of reports suggesting that both Trump and Hicks were showing symptoms since Wednesday. It seems increasingly convincing that this whole thing isn’t a fabrication, but rather something WH tried to keep secret from the public. Just the pattern of kneejerk denial I predicted for Trump months ago, when we saw the same pattern with Jair Bolsonaro.

Cats In Shiny Hats
Cats In Shiny Hats
21 days ago

I only have mixed feelings about this because it causes cognitive dissonance in me to both not want anyone to die of corona and actively hope that he doesn’t survive.

I’m other news, I have tested negative for the virus, but picked up something else nasty that has kept me from my route for over a week. It’s going to be such a mess when I go back.

@Ohlmann

Also, independantly of language police, Trump probably isn’t morbidly obese.

Although I don’t like referring to the term “obese” or to BMI, if we use BMI as a metric Trump is about 30, which is considered obese but not “morbidly obese” (BMI of 40 or above).

@Lumipuna

If he was showing symptoms Wednesday, I’m just hoping he didn’t infect Biden at the debate Tuesday night. I know they say 6 feet, but shouting makes particles go further.

@Cats In Shiny Hats
Wishing you a quick recovery.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness
21 days ago

WaPo is reporting that Trump is experiencing “mild symptoms” so he does have COVID and is likely to have the blood-clot damage that COVID brings. I’m not sure what to hope for with respect to his prognosis.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Ohlmann

What makes you think morbid obesity has to do with being unable to walk? I am morbidly obese According to my clinician (and I am carrying extra weight without dispute), but a poll of 5 doctors without knowing put me at 70-100 pounds less than I actually weigh without fail when asked to guess. However, when you then tell your GP that you work out 3 hours a day, it gets marked down as “moderate exercise”. Because if you really exercised hard, you wouldn’t be that high BMI, you wouldn’t weigh that much.

I also caught corona back in Feb/March, and for me it was like the most horrific flu and wracking muscle pain for a week where my left eyeball felt like it was going to fall out, and then an extremely disturbing recovery period where I couldn’t smell anything.

Morbid obesity is not a death sentence for coronavirus.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
21 days ago

@Big titty demon : I didn’t refer to BMI exactly because of people like you. I take the litteral sense for morbid obesity : the point where it’s really a short term life threatening problem, and not just an arbitrary cutoff on an index who is supposed to be a rough indicator and not the all say all of weight ratio. That mean, in general, being significantly past the point where someone have trouble moving.

Also, refering to mobility for obesity avoid the very common problem of people who are very muscular and a bit fat to be considered obese. I know that some people try to use the fat ratio for that, except that even for that there is a ton of special cases where that don’t work (boxers, endurance runner for example ; and there’s more).

To say it otherwise : “morbid obesity” is supposed to be for extrem cases. Trump is extrem in a lot of way, but he don’t scream extrem overweightness to me. He only look out of shape, and for a 70 year old, not even that out of shape.

@PoM

I’m not sure what to hope for with respect to his prognosis.

Death before November? Pence would be unlikely to win the election.

Re: health factors, I think the thing more likely to determine Trump’s outcome is the fact that he’s old and male. That seems to have much more bearing than weight.

O/T: So much for saying Merry Christmas again.

Last edited 21 days ago by Naglfar
Crip Dyke

@Naglfar

Just so you know, “invoking the 25th” can be done temporarily. I agree that they’re unlikely to end his presidency, but the 25th can be invoked for a couple hours during a brief surgical procedure (and has been used that way).

My confusion is that you may very well know this, so I’m curious as to whether it’s your opinion that they won’t even invoke the 25th’s power to temporarily transfer legitimate power to Pence? or are you just saying that you don’t think that they end Trump’s presidency altogether?

If the latter, then I agree with you. If the former, I think it depends and there are a lot of different levels of severity, etc. that are possible and would affect their decisions.

At least some of the people who work in the White House are competent after all, and if they want Pence to be able to issue executive orders or muster the military while Trump is on a ventilator, they might reasonably fear getting arrested for breaking various laws unless they follow the law in issuing such orders. Or they might just want to make sure instructions coming from the White House are obeyed. In either case invoking the 25th would make sense for them.

(Also I think that Trump himself is the biggest proponent of lying the WH has, and if he was incapacitated then there would be less motivation to lie. Not none, of course, but less.)

@Crip Dyke

That’s what I was thinking of, as that’s usually what people mean with regards to the 25th. I am aware of the former part, but hadn’t considered it for this specific circumstance.

Nequam
Nequam
21 days ago

Do one thing for me, Sredni Vashtar.

Lainy
Lainy
21 days ago

Watch this suddenly become the worst thing in the world since he has it now, but the rest of the American people dying from it is fine.

if anything this is nature keeping us in check. Virus don’t care who you are, whether you are a good person or not, or poor or not. This fucker is going to find out that all his money, all his delusional power, he is still human and is bound to the same rules of nature as the rest of us, so all the harm he has done to America by not taking this seriously, by not taking it seriously for himself, is gonna come back and bite him. He’s going to find out all the money in the world can’t save him.

Also trump is for sure out of shape, not taking care of himself, and over all fat. but he’s not morbidity obese. That is for more of the people who their weight is dangerously high and is killing their bodies. Like the people who are so heavy it limits their mobility and so forth. Not just someone who has some extra fat because they have a poor diet and are in their senior years.

there isn’t anything morally wrong with being either, to many people link body weight with the morality of a person. Trumps just an asshole who happens to be unhealthy and it’s going to make his chances less.

21 days ago

This is maybe a long shot, but do we know if there’s any connection between anger and COVID prognosis? Trump appears to be perpetually angry, but I’m not sure how that affects his odds.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna

BTW, I laughed my ass off when I saw this:

Ani
Ani
21 days ago

I hope he chokes slowly and painfully and with nobody around him.

And then the world throws a fucking party.

21 days ago

I think this is my favorite take I’ve seen so far on this.

Allandrel
Allandrel

@Naglfar

Thanks! I have actually just been busy.

I look forward to Trump being unable to get his narcissistic supply.

an autistic giraffe
an autistic giraffe
21 days ago

Really goes to show just how much of an asshole the Coronavirus is. Trump is the virus’s best friend and an ever loyal political ally, and this is how he’s repaid.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette
21 days ago

He’ll probably survive, even for his age and sex a majority do IIRC. But gods, dying from the disease he weaponized as a tool of genocide would be poetic justice.

I’m not going to pray for that, but only because I don’t want to jinx it.

Schnookums Von Fancypants, Naughty Basic Horse
Schnookums Von Fancypants, Naughty Basic Horse

@Naglfar

If Trump were to die before November they would not be obligated to run Pence; they could choose another candidate. Of course, that would probably make Pence all sad and that would be terrible. /s

@Schnookums

they could choose another candidate.

Who else would they choose? They put all their eggs in one basket, and that basket has COVID.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
21 days ago

See also Trump’s recent rhetoric on how Covid-19 “affects virtually nobody”. I guess now he’s confirmed as a virtual nobody.

Diego
Diego
21 days ago

Oh? We’re all celebrating and nobody is being sanctimonious about wishing for the death of that absolute malignant piece of shit?

Well then!

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
21 days ago

I really wish I could see his chart. That Walter Reed visit … was it for anything that could affect his response to COVID-19? I remember seeing he’s on lisinopril, so there’s hypertension as a risk factor, on top of his age and gender.

I gotta admit, I’d have a song in my heart if we ended up having to swear in Nancy Pelosi to finish out Trump/Pence’s term.

Alan Robertshaw

@ naglfar

Who else would they choose?

I think under Thunderdome rules they have to choose the virus.

.45
.45
21 days ago

I’m with everyone else who is thinking he’ll be fine with the best of medical care and no concern about bills, then turn around and talk about it being no big deal.

Many of his supporters already think it is blown out of proportion anyway, so that will just fan the fire…

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements
21 days ago

Also under Necromonger rules. All hail Lord Marshal SARS-CoV-2!

“And what would be the odds of that?”

C.A.Collins
C.A.Collins
21 days ago

@Nequam: ROFL, and stealing.

@Diego

I know you’re being sarcastic, but I am getting tired of that sentiment being unironically said by liberals though.
“But if you are mean to him you’re just as bad!”
No, by not wishing well for a FASCIST who has caused 210,000+ deaths I am not just as bad as said fascist.
ETA: I really like Mona Eltahawy’s take on the matter. She explains better than I can.

@VP

According to the CNN article I linked early he has a high plaque level in his coronary artery, so it looks like he has heart disease. That is not in his favor.

@Alan

I think under Thunderdome rules they have to choose the virus.

Probably a better president.

Last edited 21 days ago by Naglfar