antifeminism memes misogyny MRA

MRA memers stand firm against bullshit they just made up

Nope, you’re not the only one who has noticed this

No doubt you have noticed that, despite the assertions of Men’s Rights Activists to the contrary, men are not actually the most oppressed creatures on planet earth.

And so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that MRAs spend so much of their time raging not against real injustices in the world but rather against the straw feminists that exist only in their own minds.

MRA memers are especially enthusiastic fighters in this war. So let’s take a look at some of their work.

Here’s one memer taking a stand against the “pro-statutory rape when women are the rapists” wing of feminism, which of course is not a thing.

And one suggesting that feminists think child abuse is fine as long as it’s a woman doing the abusing.

Here’s a meme targeting alleged anti-beard feminists:

And here’s a meme excoriating feminism for its alleged hatred of fat men:

Not to be confused with anti-skinny women feminism, which demands that all skinny women make themselves fat.

Or whatever kind of feminism this is:

Here’s one on the wholly imaginary “objectification is only good when women do it” brand of feminism.

And let’s wind up this little meme roundup with one on the evil of feminists allegedly forcing women to get education and jobs.

Congratulations, MRAs and antifeminists generally for so creatively conjuring up so many boogeymen (or rather boogeywomen) to scare yourselves with.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Crip Dyke
13 days ago

Feminists say that they want to stop objectification, but LOOK! Some ad agency that wouldn’t be considered feminist in a million years produced an ad that sexually objectifies men in addition to the thousands of others it produced that sexually objectify women.

It MUST be a feminist plot to create a double standard.

Oy.

13 days ago

I feel like I’ve seen at least a few of these before. The beard one and the one with the guy and the fat woman shaking hands angrily look familiar, at Leary’s

Here’s a meme targeting alleged anti-beard feminists:

I don’t have anything against facial hair in general, I just don’t like growing it myself. If someone else wants to grow a beard, more power to them.

here’s a meme excoriating feminism for its alleged hatred of fat men

Don’t MRAs actually hate fat men? I seem to remember a bunch of memes mocking David and other feminist men for being fat.

Or whatever kind of feminism this is:

Am I the only person seeing the parallels between this image and the bisexual pride flag? I don’t think that’s intentional though.

the evil of feminists allegedly forcing women to get education and jobs

I remember when that happened. Anita Sarkeesian broke into my home and stole all my pots and pans and put locks on the kitchen doors. Then Zoë Quinn dragged me to college and made me get an education. Now I have to have a job or they’ll hit me with a whip. /s

MRAs right now:
comment image

Last edited 13 days ago by Naglfar
Lainy
Lainy
13 days ago

Beards are hot. considering a lot of attractive men have beards, they are really making stuff up.

Susan
Susan
13 days ago

In fact, I don’t really care for beards.

13 days ago

O/T: Best of luck to any Pacific Northwest Mammothers.

Re: beards
Is it possible that MRAs think feminists hate beards because they overheard TERFs using the word “beard” as an insult (they use it as an insult for men who support trans* rights, sort of like the male equivalent of “handmaiden”)?

There are also some women with good beards:
comment image
(Photo courtesy of @TheQueenViking)
I’ve considered growing a beard, but I don’t because it makes me dysphoric. More power to any woman who does, though.

Snowberry
Snowberry
13 days ago

So… since I feel like going down the list one by one:

Statutory rape: I don’t know who was cheering Woman-on-underage-boy sex during the handful of high-profile cases of it during the ’80s and ’90s, but somebody was. Given that the tone was “high five for bagging the hot MILF, dude” most of the time, I suspect few if any of them were feminists. Of course, nobody does that anymore, except in the fevered imaginations of anti-feminists.

Child abuse: Women are more likely to commit child abuse than men… but are also more likely to have access to children than men. Men who do have access to children abuse them at higher rates. You can’t actually draw any definite conclusions from this without first disentangling complex social factors. Regardless, nobody thinks child abuse is good regardless of who’s doing it.

…Also, “child abuse” covers a wide variety of things, not all of which are literally or even metaphorically violent (except in the broadest and most abstract sense, but still do long-term damage, all the same). As far as I’m aware (and someone correct me if I’m wrong) inflicting direct physical harm on children is more of a male thing, anyway.

Anti-beard: Women have preferences. *I* personally don’t care for beards, though that ends up not mattering much (I’ve dated a few men with beards, because personality ends up overriding everything else). Other women might be into that, and I’m not going to beardshame them, because that’s stupid and shallow. Saying that “beards are gross” isn’t kosher, and I suspect that if anyone’s saying that, they’re mostly not feminists. I also suspect that they’re confusing it with “neckbeards are gross” (which is a personality stereotyping thing, not a physical thing) or even “your beard is gross” (seriously, clean *all* your body parts).

Fatshaming men: I don’t know of any feminists who fatshames men but not women, though I used to know a few not-very-good feminists who fatshamed both.

Thinshaming women: I’m aware that this is a thing, due to seeing a large number of complaints about it over the years, but I’ve never actually seen it happen anywhere, not even on the internet… and I lurk a lot of places on the internet. Closest I’ve seen was the “eat a cookie” snipe on the show Ally McBeal.

“Sorry for being a man / Stop raping me”: As memes go, this one is practically ancient. I think it comes from the non-self-aware “I’m not responsible for what other people of my type and/or in my group do and shouldn’t have to apologize for them — You! Apologize for all the bad things which may or may not have been done by the extremists of your type and/or in your group!” type of attitude prevalent in socially dominant groups.

Objectifying men: Since this isn’t the time or place to open the potential can of worms involving my beliefs about objectification (and I suspect my definition of it doesn’t quite match most peoples’, anyway), I’ll just go with “deliberately provocative ads are apropos of nothing”.

Out of the kitchen: There was a time when some young, educated feminists who didn’t quite get what feminism was really about were kitchenshaming housewives. This still happens, albeit very rarely, but considering that Reaganomics largely killed the one-income family, perhaps people ought to look elsewhere for the cause of the dearth of housewives… and househusbands, for that matter.

Last edited 13 days ago by Snowberry
LindsayIrene
LindsayIrene
13 days ago

Back when I spent time on Raw Story (mostly for Pandagon), I was called a man hater and a feminazi for insisting that it was bad for grown women to have sex with thirteen-year-old boys. Men in the same discussion were all, like, “Hur hur hur, wish I’d had a teacher like that, his friends are so jealous!” One of them was so irate at how I was ‘misunderstanding how boys are different from girls’ that he threatened me and got booted off the site. Soooooo, yeah, it’s definitely not feminists cheering on lady pedos.

an autistic giraffe
an autistic giraffe
13 days ago

Obviously feminists forced Reagan into introducing Reaganomics so they could make it impossible for women to just stay at home DUH!

Then feminists unleashed the Coronavirus so social distancing would make it hard to get laid. And don’t get me started on all the CO2 feminists are pumping into the atmosphere…

@Snowberry

I don’t know about in the 80s, but today it’s MRAs cheering it on. There are quite a few posts in the archives of this blog looking at MRAs who think boys are lucky to be statutorily raped by teachers.

@An Autistic Giraffe

It’s turning the friggin’ frogs gay! /s

Last edited 13 days ago by Naglfar
an autistic giraffe
an autistic giraffe

It’s turning the friggin’ frogs gay! /s

I know. And not just frogs, homosexuality has now been documented in hundreds of species of animals. Clearly because feminist propaganda is turning them gay.

Way back in 1892, naturalists observed that “Elephants are committing vices and crimes of sexuality prohibited by the rules of Christianity.” Who do you think it was turning the Elephants away from being good Christians? The Suffragettes that’s who!

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
13 days ago

I finally stopped watching Bill Maher for good because he said that boys who were raped by women were lucky to get laid and it pissed me off so fucking much. I didn’t hear any complaints about the episode from MRAs though.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate
13 days ago

Those memes are hilarious! It’s also funny to see these miggies and mras arguing with their imaginations.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
13 days ago

I didn’t hear any complaints about the episode from MRAs though.

You wouldn’t. They’re the dipshits as say it most.

I like having a beard – have had one (with a three year gap at the start of my career when I were banned from doing so) for all my adult life. Could do with them being less fuss to maintain though.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
13 days ago

The MRAs, stretching anything up to the point it support them, exhibit A.

The MRAs, believing any loss of control mean no control at all, exhibit A.

NewtonThePlant
NewtonThePlant
13 days ago

Why are all “men’s rights” memes just stock photos of women? Like literally all of them

Last edited 13 days ago by NewtonThePlant
Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)

Wants to be in kitchen.

Forced to get a real education and job.

Some women want to be “in kitchen” — but first they go to Le Cordon Bleu.

Bastethotep
Bastethotep
13 days ago

No, that’s YOU who believe that female-on-male rape is not a thing! Just recently, I found an incels.co mocking a r/teenagers post titled “Men can indeed be raped”, where a teenager describes being raped by a female (now ex-) friend raping him, as “[JFL] Chad crying because a foid sucked his dick”.

And here’s a meme excoriating feminism for its alleged hatred of fat men:

Hm, the fact that fat men are represented by a schoolboy practically begs for jokes about MRAs being emotionally stunted man-children who are still bitter about their schoolboy crush on the cheerleader when they entered highschool being unrequitted…

@An Autistic Giraffe

This reminds me of a more contemporary incident in Poland where a local government official got very angry that one of the elephants in a local zoo was gay.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
12 days ago

Re: suffrage and indecent elephants

I just remembered a brilliant pun in the Finnish dub of the original Lion King – I haven’t even seen the English version of that.

It was in the scene with Zazu reporting mundane “administrative issues” to Mufasa, like various animals misbehaving. One of the items on the report was “Norsut kärsivät toisiaan”.

At face value, this would mean “Elephants suffer/grudgingly tolerate each other”. However, since elephants have a proboscis (kärsä), you could see the verb kärsiä (“suffer”) in a novel meaning, as in “Elephants use their proboscis to touch/grope each other”. There’s an obvious analogue to koura (“hand”) and kouria (“grope”).

Naturally, we can also imagine this unwanted touching being the reason why the elephants would get on each other’s nerves.

And now, we learn that suffrage is the reason why the elephants are so insufferable…

12 days ago

Totally O/T, but I was curious about this, so I have a question for our British mammotheers:
Is there any QAnon presence in the UK? I know the conspiracy theory originates in and centers around the US, but is it at all promoted or believed by any in the UK?

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
12 days ago

Is there any QAnon presence in the UK?

Bound to be. We have our fair share of conspiradolts and generally shitty people. Vaguely recall Carl of Swindon at least flirting with the notion (and now you have the image of Carl of Swindon flirting in your head. I’m not sorry 😛 )

Though since our paedophile ring was/is actually real … it’s not exactly surprising if there are QAnon types.

On the subject of the actual post – there is one of these memes that bugs me, and that’s the Kelly one. I just totally detest the whole “Real women are X” thing. Police your damned self, not other people.

Viscaria
Viscaria
12 days ago

Calorie dripping? It drips calories? Calorie dripping??

@Threp

Though since our paedophile ring was/is actually real

I assume this is a reference to Jimmy Savile?

The reason I was wondering if there were British QAnoners is because I noticed that QAnon babble about “save the children” sounds quite similar to UK TERF rhetoric about “safeguarding children” from organizations like FairCop and LGB Alliance, so I was wondering if there was possibly any overlap, which would require QAnon to have followers there.

I just totally detest the whole “Real women are X” thing.

To be fair, I’ve never actually seen any feminists shame women for being too thin. I’ve seen non-feminists do it, but this seems to mostly be a straw feminist thing. I’m quite thin and the only people who have ever criticized me for it were my grandmother (very much not a feminist) and some men (probably because I was male-presenting then and I didn’t have much upper body muscle).

Last edited 12 days ago by Naglfar
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)

@Naglfar

I assume this is a reference to Jimmy Savile?

I wish. It’d be kinda nice (note: sarcasm) to only have had the one group of famous and powerful shorteyes. It’s the Dolphin Square scandal. Decentish lead in from the Guardian here: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/17/westminster-child-abuse-paedophile-ring-failure

@Threp
Ah, I was unaware of that incident.

Of course, in America there have also been pedophile and sex trafficking rings linked to political officials. As expected, they were almost all linked to conservatives from red states, which just goes to show how hard Republicans are projecting when it comes to QAnon.

Last edited 12 days ago by Naglfar
StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
12 days ago

So the girl in the hosiery ad is totally me (although I’m a sheer tights kind of girl, and also I wouldn’t be seen walking my guys without whip-in-hand…just a better aesthetic to me) but what MRA assholes don’t get is that just because I enjoy my guys’ bodies that way that’s not the same as how men objectify women against our wills. No woman who enjoys handsome sexy male bodies that way is going to do it without the collaboration of the human beings whose bodies they are. She can’t because even if she wanted to she wouldn’t have the power. And even so she’ll never get to enjoy men that way without fighting battles against slut-shamed and harassment and entitled complainers her whole life. That’s is not the same and it upsets me a lot for someone to say it is.

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

@Snowberry, Naglfar:

It’s my belief that thin shaming, when it happens at all, is usually caused by the existence of fatshaming— i.e., if thinness is prized by society, then some people may seek to resist by sniping at thin women. Acceptance of all body types would eliminate that motivation.

Alan Robertshaw
12 days ago

O/T, but for all the corvid fans here.

I don’t normally approve of animal experiments; but as he’s just getting food for showing how clever he is I guess this is fair enough. Especially as I couldn’t figure out what you were supposed to do in that last one.

Now, say “Eureka”

“Nevermore!”

“Stop that!”

Pie
Pie

@Naglfar

Is there any QAnon presence in the UK?

Practically neighbours with Mr. Robertshaw!

That’s an 8 month old article though, and there aren’t exactly a whole load of other examples.

@Threp

Conversely: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Midland

(dude makes up high-profile pedophile ring conspiracy, everyone falls for it, no-one opposes the suggestion for fear that it might be another savile thing. turns out to be utter bullshit, original source turns out to be pedophile)

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
12 days ago

:-(((( I can’t see Alan’s corvid (I just get a blank rectangle on the screen) (come to think of it, this is the 2nd or 3rd time since the site makeover) – does anyone have any idea why this might be/what I can do about it? Corvids rule (of course they do)!

(and while I’m asking for help … I need to change the email address I use with WHTM soon, but I don’t want to change my name, avatar etc. (can’t remember what I did to get started here, way back when). Grateful if anyone could tell me how to do that – is it as simple as filling in the new email address and waiting to go through moderation again, or will the site ‘think’ I’m an impostor? And would it mess up my gravatar too? Thanks for any advice!)

11 days ago

@opposablethumbs
You should be able to just enter a different email, you’ll have to go through moderation again but then you should be fine. You will have to change your gravatar, and I’m not sure if you can update your old one or have to create a new one for the new email.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
11 days ago

Thank you Naglfar! Will have a try …

Alan Robertshaw
11 days ago

@ pie

Oh dear, how embarrassing. I blame the tin oxide in the local water supply.

I find reassurance in this though.

However, Hope Not Hate said that despite attempts by figures such as Mappin, the conspiracy theory has yet to gain traction within the UK. “The QAnon conspiracy theories feed into the wider paranoia and distrust of the American far right but have little traction in the U

Moggie
Moggie
11 days ago

@opposablethumbs:

And would it mess up my gravatar too?

A gravatar can be associated with multiple email addresses (I currently have five addresses for mine). You’ll need to login to gravatar.com, after which you can then add a new address.

Moggie
Moggie
11 days ago

Qanon does seem to be making inroads in the UK, fuelled both by COVID-related conspiracism and the new “Freedom for the Children” branding, which disguises it. There’s an article from late August here (I hope that link works; I’m new to the site revamp).

Incidentally, the best video I’ve seen on Qanon is Dan Olson’s latest on his “Folding Ideas” yt channel, where he examines flat Earthers and how that movement has fed into Qanon. Good stuff.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
11 days ago

Thanks Moggie! (think I might go with a new one anyway (if I manage to get this right 🙂 )

It looks like it works, on my screen; just in moderation for now.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
11 days ago

Out of moderation with my new look (same as the old look) – thanks again Naglfar, thank you Moggie, and thank you David!

Happy cat
Happy cat
10 days ago

I’m much thinner than average and the only people who ever told me I was too skinny and I should put on weight were definitely not feminists.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer
10 days ago

I know the original question was about the U.K., but QAnon has been spreading in Canada as well:

Anti-mask protest in Montreal draws large crowd, propelled by U.S. conspiracy theories
Gah. It’s annoying enough that U.S. culture has been overwhelming Canada for years (in large part because it’s cheaper for many Canadian broadcasters to just licence American shows than it is to create their own, and only the CBC actually has a legal requirement to create Canadian content) but for some reason importing U.S. conspiracy theories bugs me even more, because a lot of the people parroting those theories here don’t even0 seem to understand that Canada and the U.S. have different legal frameworks.

(I’ve ranted about the Sovereign Citizen types before… sure, their arguments don’t actually work in the U.S. either, but a lot of the ones in Canada are still using entirely U.S.-centric arguments about Social Security Numbers that don’t even match the outer details on why the arguments should have any merit whatsoever.)

I saw an article a while back that noted that the pandemic has been QAnon’s best friend, because a lot of people were suddenly unmoored from their normal social connections and had nothing to do but go online and wander around Facebook, which has been a breeding ground for extremism of various sorts pretty much since it was created…

10 days ago

@Jenora Feuer
I’d also guess that the Venn diagram of QAnoners and sovcits is a circle, or close to one at least.

Tabby Lavalamp
Tabby Lavalamp
10 days ago

This was one of my favourites…

I still don’t understand how much cleavage they think would be too much if that was “just enough”. I do give whoever made the meme credit though as the woman in the photo is nothing like what they usually argue the “typical” feminist looks like.

Alan Robertshaw
10 days ago

@ tabby lavalamp

I still don’t understand how much cleavage they think would be too much

Well the Musee D’Orsay think it’s this much.

But décolletage, in a French art gallery! What is the world coming too?

10 days ago

@Tabby Lavalamp
As far as I can tell, MRA stereotypes of what feminists look like generally are either second wave-inspired sex-hating puritans (who occasionally appear to be political lesbians, but I doubt MRAs know that term) or scantily dressed women with brightly colored hair that are supposed to be hypersexual and subject to slut shaming. For some reason, both stereotypes are often drawn as fat. I’m not sure where the idea of feminists as fat got started but it predates modern MRAs, going back at least to the anti-suffragette movement in the US.

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer
10 days ago

Far as I can tell, it’s the “they only want the vote/equal pay/an end to discrimination because no man will sleep with them and it makes them bitter” argument.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
10 days ago

The following is highly tangential (re Qanon and imaginary child abuse), but I’ve recently seen some interesting discussion on actual child abuse prevention at the Finnish public broadcaster’s website (link in Finnish, my paraphrasing below).

It’s an interview of Mikko Ylipekka, the psychologist responsible for directing national rehabilitation program for child sex abuse offenders. This is a relatively recently introduced program, and naturally Ylipekka wants more outreach for it. (In another recent article, it was noted that while therapy and medicinal treatment are available outside prison setting, they need to be made a lot more accessible.)

Ylipekka points out the distinction between pedophilia (a person’s sexual tendency towards children) and the act of sexually abusing children. His recommendations for better prevention include:

1. Raise your children from early on so that they can talk comfortably about sexual matters.
  2. In teenage sexual education, acknowledge that anyone in the audience might have secret pedophilic tendencies. Give people the basic understanding necessary to avoid crimes and seek treatment.
  3. Make preventative treatment for pedophiles more accessible.
  4. Provide better housing, life coaching etc. for offenders as they leave prison.
  5. Advertise medication to support other treatment for those pedophiles with uncontrollable sexual behavior (apparently, this problem is kinda specific to pedophiles?).
Alan Robertshaw
10 days ago

@ lumipuna

Related to your point no. 1; don’t use euphemisms. Or at least teach children the proper technical terms for body parts as well.

I have seen examples (which I can’t verify but they certainly seem plausible) of children raising issues of sexual abuse with appropriate adults but being misunderstood because of the language used.

10 days ago

@Lumipuna

Something I’ve seen that relates to this is suggestions to start talking about consent very early in a non-sexual way. For instance, asking consent to give a hug or telling the child they can say no if they don’t want to be touched in a certain way.

Make preventative treatment for pedophiles more accessible.

This. Society makes it very hard for non-offending pedophiles to get treatment because to get the right treatment they need to out themselves, which often has serious repercussions even for individuals who have never and will never molest children. We know very little about pedophilia and this too is a problem, as knowing more would help us prevent child sexual abuse.

@Alan Robertshaw

This. I am not sure why, but a lot of parents seem to think it’s better to teach children slang terms rather than anatomical ones. That probably also contributes to the general lack of knowledge around genital anatomy, e.g. 42% of AFAB people didn’t know what a cervix was when surveyed. In addition to the issue of sexual assault, this could lead to medical consequences like a patient not going to cervical screenings or prostate exams because they don’t know that they have the relevant anatomy.

Last edited 10 days ago by Naglfar
Lumipuna
Lumipuna
10 days ago

Alan:

Indeed. Apropos, I just saw this on the Guardian (someone is promoting a book on this very subject):

If I had small children, I’d definitely have to teach them both a formal and colloquial name for certain body parts, to avoid confusion. Or perhaps more than one colloquial term.

(When I was about five, I got the impression that birds have “shit” while humans and dogs have “poop”. It made perfect sense, considering that avian and mammalian feces look clearly different.)

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer
9 days ago

There’s also an issue I’ve seen come up recently in The Fandom Discourse of some fans stretching the definition of pedophilia to include stuff like the fictional portrayal of a romantic or sexual relationship between two teenagers, or between any two people with an age gap, even if the younger person is in their mid-twenties. There seems to be some debate over this began due to a) fandom shipping wars, i.e., people determined to portray their OTP as right and good and denounce any rival OTPs as problematic; or b) splash damage from TERFs and SWERFs portraying everybody else as “grooming children for abuse.” As with Qanon, there seems a danger here of creating boy-who-cried-wolf situations.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer
9 days ago

@Naglfar:
I wouldn’t say a circle, but probably a subset… as in, pretty much all SovCits are probably QAnoners, but not the other way around. QAnon has simply become a much wider thing rather quickly, and while other conspiracy theories are pulled closer by the usual crank magnetism, they haven’t all caught up yet.

@Lumipuna:
I agree with all of those statements.

@Moon Custafer:
Hardly just fictional couples. I recall hearing about at least one case in the U.S. years back where some ‘tough on crime’ District Attorney charged a sixteen or seventeen year old woman with child pornography because she’d sent a nude picture of herself to her boyfriend.