announcements

Welcome to We Hunted the Mammoth 3.0

So here it is, folks: the new We Hunted the Mammoth, which is exactly the same as the old We Hunted the Mammoth, but with a cleaner and more up-to-date look.

Hopefully this move to a newer WordPress theme, and some behind-the-scenes tinkering, will help to prevent the glitches that have been knocking the site offline in recent days.

The new theme should preserve the same basic functionality of the old theme when it comes to things like commenting and navigating. (In case you’re wondering, the “Recent Posts” and “Recent Comments: widgets are now at the bottom of the page.)

I may do some additional customizing of the theme in days to come. Let me know what you think of this new look!

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

kupo
kupo
19 days ago

Wtf does “opposite of male” even mean??

Kupo – I looked.

Male. Definition 1b : “having a gender identity that is the opposite of female”

I’m gonna assume that their definition of redundant is simply the word redundant.

19 days ago

It’s redundant, but I can’t really find a better way to phrase it that is trans-inclusive. And it’s at least a bit entertaining watching TERFs melt down over a change in a dictionary that has no material impact on them.

Thank you.

I’ve steered a couple people to the resources over the years. Be nice to have them back again!

Alan Robertshaw
19 days ago

Is there a way of archiving the old threads and comments, and having this new site start from a sort of “year zero” basis?

I can see the attraction of being able to go back to old posts of course, but perhaps the original site could be transferred across to another URL?

Although I guess that would generate another expense of hosting a separate site. Unless there’s any free places you can put a dormant site?

But that way you could also just keep the old formatting. Unless of course that’s irretrievably overwritten now with the adoption of the new template.

I’m really impressed though with the new site. As someone who struggled at first even with Wix I understand your pain! And Wix is just drag and drop prewritten elements.

19 days ago

I wouldn’t like the idea of the site starting over from scratch and archiving old posts. If that’s the only way to get the site to work, then so be it, but as someone who just spent days looking through old posts just a couple of weeks ago, it would feel really weird to have that opportunity removed or made more difficult.

The site changes haven’t solved the “comments don’t show up right away” problem, in case that was one of the objectives.

ETA: in fact, this very comment got trapped until I reloaded the page without the page number and comment number.

19 days ago

I wouldn’t really have an issue with archiving the comments on old articles so long as there was still a way to read them, but I would somewhat miss the occasionally entertaining necro trolls.

19 days ago

Update: I’m now seeing page numbers for the main page of the site, which go through the posts in the history, but I’m not seeing them on the comments.

19 days ago

It looks like we can now vote up or down on comments. I hope that doesn’t reorder them, as that would make threads a bit hard to follow. And it looks like the box to comment is now above. Page numbers are back, so that’s good.

19 days ago

Just clicked on the Ron Jeremy thread … and all the coments are vertical.

(Thought – while being able to attach pictures is rather neat, it’s probably not a good idea, given the dolts and trolls as show up)

comments.png
Last edited 19 days ago by Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Ariblester
19 days ago

Seconding Threp on the wonkiness of the comments when I hold my phone in landscape mode.

Appreciate the dark mode toggle, though I will note that the top logo’s text all but disappears when dark mode is toggled.

And my quote helper has finally bitten the dust. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

(And this comment appears at the top of the thread? That can’t be right.)

(Ah, a refresh pushes it to the correct position.)

Last edited 19 days ago by Ariblester
19 days ago

Been bouncing around the archive and some comment sections go vertical after a bit – but it seems random. There’s nothing obvious causing it. It’s not after a certain number, or on a certain page, or after a comment with a link in the nym.

(I’m on the laptop, so permanent landscape mode)

masque d'etoiles
masque d'etoiles
19 days ago

Weird – now my background is a warm buff instead of very pale grey, and the serifs are gone on the comments but not the main post.

Thanks for the pagination, even if it can only be at the bottom, and for the dark mode.

Last edited 19 days ago by masque d'etoiles
Malitia
Malitia
18 days ago

I think the vertical comments happen when someone was using the “reply to comment X” function on the very old theme. It didn’t exactly work right back then either so the next overhaul flat out disabled it.

Bookworm in hijab
Bookworm in hijab
18 days ago

As it is now, if I go to an article with a lot of comments and want to start reading them from the beginning, I have to scroll all the way down and then click “Older comments” several times

Thank you for fixing this! It makes a big difference. Also, I like the tan and grey format as well as the easy dark-mode option.

Test comment

ETA: this comment appeared at the top of the page, which is … sub-ideal.

Last edited 18 days ago by Policy of Madness

@PoM
It relocates to the bottom if you reload the page.

@Naglfar

I noticed that, but that’s still sub-ideal. LOL

18 days ago

Comment box on mobile (firefox + android) is now two lines wide… omg though it seems to get bigger as i type? Let’s test!!!

Omg it adjusts, i’ll be able to reread everything, how exciting!!! Since it (so far) doesn’t have a scrollbar, it’s no issue scrolling back up, to check the rest of the comments, or the post itself. That’s a treat!

Dark mode is also amazing, got to say.

Comment box is on top of the comments though, not at the bottom where it makes a bit more sense, for a discussion site like this one.

Oh, also, it would be nice to have the link to the comments policy back, that’s good to be easily available to point people to.

Page numbers are on the bottom, but not the top for me yet.

There are so many more buttons in the comments window, let’s try them!

Bold

Italic

Link

Underline

Blockquote

UL
    OL
  • LI
  • CODE

Spoiler
    SPOILERS

Oh, ther’s a usability problem, to use the buttons, i have to scroll allllll the way up. :/ i know i can’t have it both ways (a dynamic comment window that lets me read everything i’ve typed, as well as easily accessible buttons), so however this winds up is fine with me. 🙂

Hmm, after putting in all those tags, the window had shrunk (or didn’t adjust for some of the extra lines that were added as i used them) and i couldn’t see the bottom lines of my message. Without a scrollbar, i had to hit ‘enter’ to get it to go to a new line.

Perhaps a compromise, where the comment wondow will expand to cover a few paragraphs, and will have a scroll bar on the side after that?

Ariblester
    18 days ago

Feature suggestion for the comment links: It’s nice that they automatically copy themselves to your clipboard when you click on them, I guess (RIP that password I was saving there), but could they actually function as links, so that I can use them to keep my position in a thread? Also, whatever that was supposed to show up when you click on the “Share” button, isn’t.

Last edited 18 days ago by Ariblester
    18 days ago

Uhhh, the comments window is still HUGE on my phone, from my last comment. It took me typing out a line for it to reset to the tiny box it was originally.

Also i wasn’t quite sure what the

UL

ans what the

OL

buttons do. I assume they change where the text is…

Ah, it was the tags. UL and OL add a new line after you use them. So my paragraoh looked like this:

Also i wasn’t quite sure what the

UL

ans what the

OL

buttons do. I assume they change where the text is…

Oh, can i use them in a blockquote…

Testing a

what does the title do??
    spoiler tag

Eta: right, these two comments went to the top of the page.

Also, those two paragraphs look the same, but they are not!

comment image

I still don’t know what those buttons do, though.

I see i can edit, but i don’t see a timer! How long do i have?

Edited again to add: not sure why the image posted twice, or why there’s a bunch of code around it. I pasted one URL that ends in a .jpg.

Last edited 18 days ago by Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
    Ariblester
    18 days ago

We’re doing lists now? We’re doing lists now.

• First item
    • Second item
    1. First item
    2. Second item

Aaand the tag buttons aren’t there when I try to edit.

Code for the above looks like this:

<ul>
    <li>First item</li>
    <li>Second item</li>
    </ul>
    <ol>
    <li>First item</li>
    <li>Second item</li>
    </ol>

Last edited 18 days ago by Ariblester
    18 days ago

Ohhhhh, UL and OL are for LISTS!! I guess i could have googled, hahahah.

It’s really annoying that if i add something in the middle of what i’ve typed, the end of what i typed just disappears. I’m guessing (i am not a coder/webdesigner) that it’s the cursor going to a new line at the bottom of the comment box that extends the box… which does ‘t help me if i’m adding links or text anywhere but the bottom.

Also, on my phone, blockquote and spoiler are both cut off.

comment image

ETA: It would be nice for the buttons to show up when editing as well, if that is possible!

ETA (Again): Thank you Ariblester for showing how they work. 🙂

There also has to be an edit timer, because i can’t edit my two previous comments anymore.

If i click on the ‘last edited by rhuu’ link below those losts, it’s broken. Is it trying to find my user profile, maybe?

Edit the third: In fact, i click the gear > page not found. I go back, and ‘edit’ is showing. I click that (it worked for my first edit) > page not found. i go back, and i can edit!

Last edited 18 days ago by Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
    18 days ago

Wait, where did my images go??

Testing: there should be a cute puppy under this.

comment image

(Also these buttons are really annoying, they cover my text as i type! They are on top of my keyboard, but since the comment window is right *above* my keyboard, they cover stuff. Like so: (if the image posts)

comment image

Victorious Parasol
    Victorious Parasol
    18 days ago

Testing the new comment plugin.

18 days ago

Okay, my images are disappearing, but if i edit the comment, i thiiink that is what the link is trying to link to?

comment image%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/487976153412403200/752196272827662438/SmartSelect_20200906-115910_Firefox_Beta.[image format]%22%20alt=%22%22%20width=%22%22%20height=%22%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E%E2%80%98%3E%3Cimg%20alt=

That is the link to the image, sort of.

NOPE, can’t get it to paste in, even using the ‘code’ function. :/

I removed the image format ending, maybe it’ll work now.

Edited: i don’t think it’s showing the edited comments, in full.

Last edited 18 days ago by Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
    18 days ago

Sorry for so many posts!!! Last one for a bit, inswear. The comments aren’t showing the edited comments, after a refresh. It looks like it posts, when i hit ‘edit’ the extra information is there, but i don’t see it on the page. :/

18 days ago

Something happened at the bottom of the page …

omg.png
    18 days ago

We’ve gone vertical in the comments again.

It might be the comment plugin causing it.

kupo
    kupo
    18 days ago

Hey, David! Looking good so far!

Do you want some free, professional icons for your comment box widget? It will make it clearer to people what things like OL are for if you use these icons. Here you go! https://material.io/resources/icons/

@PoM
    I’m seeing that issue also happening on a lot of older posts (in addition to all embedded images missing).

Trying to embed an image:
    comment image

Edit: now the image is doubled. Let me try something else.

I just pasted the URL, which used to work, but now it’s doubled with extra HTML text that I didn’t type around it.

Last edited 18 days ago by Naglfar
    18 days ago

And now the image is gone, there’s a weird link I didn’t type, and the edit function is broken. Anyone else having these issues?

ETA: and on my laptop it’s all gone vertical. Unless I make the browser window narrower which somehow fixes it.

Last edited 18 days ago by Naglfar
    kupo
    kupo
    18 days ago

A friend tried clicking on my comment from the recent comments and it did this:
    comment image

kupo
    kupo
    18 days ago

Looks like my image vanished, too. I had assumed the vanishing was due to people uploading them and something to do with them not being permanently saved, but mine was a link to an image stored on a completely different server, so it’s not that.

Interesting. The link in my nym in this post leads to the WHTM url with my image url included after it.

Last edited 18 days ago by kupo

@kupo
    That seems to be what happened when I posted my image test. It was supposed to show a picture of a mammoth, but first it appeared doubled, then it disappeared and now there’s a link like you described.

Has it straightened out?

Edit – it seems to have! So that were the problem, and using the insert picture button seems to fix it.

Last edited 18 days ago by Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
    18 days ago

The comments box is hardly usable on this page (although obviously I made it work) because the vertically-aligned comments at the bottom of the page have extended the page sideways and there is no scrollbar.

Catalpa
    Catalpa
    18 days ago

On desktop, all the comments from Rhuu’s post trying to include a puppy image (https://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2020/09/03/welcome-to-we-hunted-the-mammoth-3-0/comment-page-2/#comment-3650102) to David’s post with the Cookie Monster image ( https://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2020/09/03/welcome-to-we-hunted-the-mammoth-3-0/comment-page-2/#comment-3650121) are arranged vertically, side by side with each other (and are essentially unreadable). There’s no such issue with the mobile site.

@Catalpa
    I’m having the same issue. I fixed it by shrinking the browser window. Rhuu was trying to post an image when it started and David posted an image to end it, so maybe it’s a glitch relating to images.

18 days ago

Dunno what David did just now, but it’s fixed in this thread for me – laptop, Firefox.

Just checked, also fixed in the Ron Jeremy thread and in an archive thread I happened to remember had gone vertical too (https://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2020/01/18/women-just-have-some-random-itch-or-bowel-movement-and-think-they-had-an-orgasm-sex-genius-explains/) , so it seems to be a fix fix.

Nice one!

Catalpa
    Catalpa
    18 days ago

Yeah, the vertical comments have been fixed now! Thanks David!

18 days ago

That definitely fixed the problem for me. Thank you!