announcements

Welcome to We Hunted the Mammoth 3.0

So here it is, folks: the new We Hunted the Mammoth, which is exactly the same as the old We Hunted the Mammoth, but with a cleaner and more up-to-date look.

Hopefully this move to a newer WordPress theme, and some behind-the-scenes tinkering, will help to prevent the glitches that have been knocking the site offline in recent days.

The new theme should preserve the same basic functionality of the old theme when it comes to things like commenting and navigating. (In case you’re wondering, the “Recent Posts” and “Recent Comments: widgets are now at the bottom of the page.)

I may do some additional customizing of the theme in days to come. Let me know what you think of this new look!

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

22 days ago

Is it possible to reduce the font size for headings/titles a bit? They take up a lot of the screen.

And it seems a bit redundant to have the article name right above the comments as well.

Alan Robertshaw
22 days ago

I really like the new look; it’s very elegant. But in terms of feedback, FWIW, I’ll just reiterate the points I raised on the other thread.

Maybe move the ‘related’ bit to the bottom of the page. It splits up the comments from the article too much I feel. And also that way you wouldn’t have to repeat the thread title above the comments.

Very subjective, but I think the hot pink s a bit loud for the white background.

I like the stark white, but I can see why some people might not. So perhaps an off-white or light grey background. Egyptian cotton sort of thing. Something like that.

Maybe shrink the thread titles a bit?

Could the comments box be a bit larger?

Be able to directly go to a previous page rather than have to do ‘previous posts’ one page at a time?

Sorry, that’s a long list! But they’re just minor things really; and as mentioned, I do love the new look.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
22 days ago

Or put the “Older Comments” link at the top of the comments, maybe? Saves a shitload of scrolling.

Ariblester
22 days ago

I’d prefer if we still had page numbers for comments. Or if the “Older Comments” links were also at the top of the thread.

Seconding Naglfar that the article title being on top of the comments as well is somewhat redundant (it’s also a little large).

The Related Posts widget shows up as a single (tall) column on my phone, bunched to one side, which is odd, because there is enough space for it across the whole width of the screen.

If possible, I’d like the site’s color scheme to change according to the Dark Mode settings of users. (Link to an example of how to implement this, not sure if it applies to this particular theme).

Seconding Alan that the comments box could be bigger. As could the box for editing comments.

More comments (and maybe profile pictures?) in the Recent Comments would be good. It’s how I follow most of the threads on this site.

Nequam
Nequam
22 days ago

It’ll take some getting used to– but if 2020 has shown us anything, it’s amazing what you can get used to…

Lainy
Lainy

Oh i don’t like change

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
22 days ago

The first thing I said when I fired it up was “BIG PRINT — BLACK ON WHITE!! I CAN SEEEEEEE IT!!!!!

Most web sites don’t lend themselves well to my “olde people’s eyesight”… particularly with the programming culture’s latest infatuation with light grey text on off-white background.

I’m also having the same wonkyness with the posts not showing up — tho I have seen this consistently for a long time, and I use two work-arounds:

1) I don’t comment again until the quarantine timer is timed out and the previous comment is seen

2) If my comment doesn’t show up, I close the site and re-open… if still nada, I close chrome and re-open. I have always been able to see the comments (after I exhaust the programming “glitch” by continually closing and reopening)

Ariblester
22 days ago

I realized that I didn’t say what I liked about the new layout, so here goes:

The search function being right at the top is nice (wish it also searched comments, but that’s besides the point).

I like that the article tags are now above the headlines.

The “Post Comment” button is now larger, which is nice and easy to hit with my fingers on mobile. Same for the formatting buttons on top of the comments box.

The Recent Comments box being at the very bottom is convenient, since (as mentioned above) it’s how I follow threads, so I can just scroll all the way down to see what I missed.

I like that you’re still going with the faux-retro imagery for things like the logo, the announcement image and the donation image.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
22 days ago

I’ve looked at the new site on tablet as well as laptop now, and I don’t know that I have anything new to say. If I have a #1 suggestion, I’d say that the white background does seem a bit harsh/bright, so if that could be adjusted, that would be swell.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I’ll reiterate my request from earlier, which is to bring back the archive that’s searchable by month/year.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness
22 days ago

There is a lot of wasted space on both sides of the main column, and everything useful is now crammed at the bottom. This makes it look very phone-like on a desktop computer, which is annoying. If I liked the look of the site on my phone (I don’t) I would use my phone to browse and comment.

The page numbers on top AND bottom of page were ridiculously useful, so please bring them back.

Everything is TOO BIG. It’s so weird that there is so much wasted space given that all the fonts are gianormous. You could move the center column to the left and have a right-hand sidebar with useful links and not make anything any smaller, if having huge fonts is important to you, but the fonts really don’t need to be this big.

Please increase the number of recent comments, not reduce. 5 is not enough.

What do I like? Err … I’ll get back to you on that one heh.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ Lainy:

comment image

22 days ago

I agree with most of the feedback here. Over all not thrilled, but hopefully this fixes the crashing issue.

CarrieV
CarrieV

Oh, I love the yuuuge font, although I see it isn’t for everyone’s taste :/

Sometimes I like to recline at my desk (I bought a mini-recliner just for this), and I have to set the font very large to read from back yonder. Now I don’t (yayyyy).

Conversely, sometimes I like to take off my very thick glasses and read while upright. Again, this new, “grown-up font” helps immensely.

Either way, it makes one think of John Hancock’s signature being so large so that King George wouldn’t have to put on his spectacles.

Mels
Mels

Weird Eddie said:

I really feel this. My eyesight is okay, but I have a visual processing disorder. I appreciate not having to zoom in on the page anymore!

I also like the new compact logo image.

O/T: Just realized we have 2 weeks until the 10th anniversary of the blog

masque d'étoiles
masque d'étoiles
22 days ago

All the white space! Wow! It’s … bright! My oldster eyes like that. But if the majority seems to favor less glare, I’d be cool with what Alan R. calls Egyptian cotton, or similar.

The fonts (except for the main article/comment text, which are perfect) all seem huge to me on my 13″ MacBook screen, but to those using a smaller device they might seem just right.

I agree with others that paged comments would be nice instead of one looooong scroll, and with page numbers at both the top and bottom of the comments section because it’s super convenient that way. I also think that if the main post column is going to be so narrow, perhaps a sidebar or second column could be used for the Related articles and the Recent Posts/Comments. Sidebarring this content and limiting comments to x per page would make the page seem less intimidatingly vertical in a long discussion. Without paged comments, if someone isn’t committed to reading all the comments or doesn’t want to leave one of their own, they’ll likely never even see the Recents.

I feel like some content has disappeared – from practical things like links to blogs with a similar sensibility, or helpful tips for those being harassed or doxxed, to the more Mammothy Fun stuff like gift packages for newbies. Is there some way to include that content again in an easy-to-find way?

I know retooling a website is a project that can spawn kinks as you go, and they have to be worked out one by one. For now, be proud of your bouncing new baby Mammoth!

Bookworm in hijab
Bookworm in hijab
22 days ago

Ooh… I don’t like change, just in general, and the overall newness of this is making me feel a bit overwhelmed. That said, I have no specific criticisms, and I freely admit that most of my discomfort is just my usual “aaaah but it’s different than what I was used to!!!”

If it makes the site more functional, I’m all for it!

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles
22 days ago

It is very bright, kind of hurts my eyes a little. I am happy to finally have a proper quote function.

Edit: test Yay I finally see my edits and not wait for minutes for my post to show.

Tovius
22 days ago

I second the request for a dark mode. All this white in the background hurts my eyes.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
22 days ago

Hmm, your comments aren’t as different as they were in the older layout, David. It says ‘by post author’ at the bottom, but that isn’t as immediately obvious as it was before. (Though now i of course couldn’t describe what ot was, in the before time!! XD)

I’d like ‘the new misogyny, tracked and mocked’ to also link back to the main page, i was clicking on that on my desktop to go back, and it’s just text.

I don’t know if it’s possible tp have both a light theme (for those who like the suuuper bright white background) and a dark theme, for those of us who find it a little much.

I would also quiiiite like a larger comment box, at least on mobile. It currently fits 5 lines, which makes it a bit much to type up a long comment, and then proof read it for typos.

I do like the large buttons for the various features, though!!

It would also be nice to have a functionality built in to do the quoting thing that ariblester’s plug in does. I’d love to be able to quote specific messages easily! (Don’t know if that’s an available wordpress thing.)

Here’s a website with the code to do this, as well as an explanation of the code.

As i said in the other thread, i miss the random posts, as well as the icons on the lastest comments.

Perhaps a page could be added for ‘how to blockquote’ and ‘how to get a profile image’, so people can more easily slay the blockquote mammoth, haha.

Page numbers at the bottom and the top, please. They were very helpful.

Good luck adjusting!

Crip Dyke
22 days ago

I like the direction towards which this theme is moving, but I really don’t like the spot we’re in now on the way.

I would repeat just about everything Alan said up top – we clearly have similar tastes in web site design.

To add to that, I would bring in the general “too phone like on a laptop” mentioned by Policy of Madness, but go further by saying a couple things about what makes it seem too phone-like to me.

Phones, with their small real estate, tend to put in extra spaces that aren’t necessary on a larger screen. This is most readily apparent in the space between the masthead and post title and then again between post title and the lede graphic/picture. WAY too much blank space there. And again, there are lots of websites that have a separate mobile style and computer style. If that’s not too expensive to implement, then maybe you keep all those blank spaces for the mobile users. But for computer users, this looks … bad. There’s no continuity between one element and the next. It seems a trail of jetsam on a sea of white foam.

I’m also against the solid white, as others. As this was mentioned by Alan and I endorsed Alan’s comments it would seem that I shouldn’t need to make it, but I just wanted to say, Oh my precious! The white! It burns!

Seriously. I desperately in favor of something more nuanced as a background.

Some people have commented on huge fonts. I don’t think these are always too big, but the “21 comments on Welcome to WHTM 3.0” text is definitely too large. We already know the name of the article and the content. This isn’t the name of a new, separate article, it’s just a section transition. I understand you need something, but this isn’t a case where you need to shout.

The “Related Stories” section leaves such huge, wasted chunks of space to the right. Either the graphics should be big enough to stretch across the screen or there should be multiple columns of graphics. In either case the name of the article shouldn’t be dangling off in space to the right. There are tricks to super-impose the text over the graphic (which I think would serve this theme well) but absent that you could just put the text below the graphic. The text in this section should also be larger. With everything else so much larger, having the text of those article titles in such relatively small print only reinforces a depressing sense of emptiness.

Also… although I like the style, it tends to clash with David’s own style. Look at the riveter graphic encouraging donations. It’s lovely and I would never want to get rid of it, but it’s also not all thoroughly-modern-Millie like the rest of the website is now. Does this mean that David will struggle to make posts like critiquing sexist and racist old Valentine’s cards look reasonable? Will there constantly be a style clash here between the graphics and the site’s theme? I hope not, though I’m not sure exactly what to do about it not being a graphic designer. My best suggestion is that maybe graphics should by default come with a border that serves as a “picture frame”. It’s the lack of boundary between the nostalgic and ironic images and the hypermodern environment that causes the problem, but the right picture frame could serve as a transition from the “space” of clean, flat, open and modern spaces to the “space” set aside for other styles originating in other eras and from other design sensibilities.

I’d hate for the riveter to go, but she really, really clashes with this new space.

Crip Dyke

Okay, two additional comments:

1. On the home page can we get a button under each article to jump directly to that article’s comments? Commenters here are wonderful and a big part of the draw and, given human realities, there are always going to be more new articles than new posts by David, so it’s inevitable that some of us are returning to WHTM, see no new post, but want to check on the comments of one or more recent posts.

2. This comment box has a weird gray shadow for the space holding the bold/italic/link/quote buttons. That should be fixed as it clashes with the new theme. Also, I think that writing “Link” and “Quote” in lowercase with only an initial capital fits the new theme better as well.

……….

And a third comment that I didn’t have in mind when I came back here: I love the change to lavender from white! Well done, David! Getting better all the time.

Chris Oakley
Chris Oakley
22 days ago

Wow. I daresay I’m impressed with the rollout of the new and improved WHTM.

masque d'étoiles
masque d'étoiles
22 days ago

The pale grey, and the lavender text, are soothing yet clear. I also like the new Related post section a lot better than the gigantic block from earlier tonight, and the assorted reduced but still perfectly legible font sizes. Good work David!

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
22 days ago

The biggest problems for me are:

* No page number links for other pages of comments. I second others suggesting these at both top and bottom of the comments section.

* I’m seeing six recent comments, rather than either five or eight. Eight was good. Ten might be better.

* The recent comments headings no longer include the timestamp.

Likely big problems for other people include:

* Where did the resource links go? E.g. “if you’re being harassed…”

Cosmetic:

* I liked the old masthead better

* I’m not seeing the white background people are complaining of. Seems to be a pale lilac color on my monitor, with the input boxes for comments being clearly whiter. I have no complaint about this, just an observation.

Under the hood:

* I am getting, at least intermittently, a “server not found” when submitting comments, though just browsing and reading stuff works normally.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
22 days ago

And the favicon is missing.

And the new glitch when appearing/disappearing/reappearing comments persists.

Input a comment and hit send. Assuming the new “server not found” glitch doesn’t strike, likely your comment is now visible at the bottom of the comments. Now hit “back” and then “reload” … the comment is missing. Even though you just reloaded the SAME DAMN PAGE you were on, e.g. page 1 of the comments on this article right here. What the heck could be causing this? It started only two or three days ago.

BradMoonRising
BradMoonRising
22 days ago

New site looks fantastic! Excelsior!

Malitia
Malitia
22 days ago

The comment sections on the FAQs and other special pages returned after 5 years.

How long until some ass necros them again?

Ari
Ari
22 days ago

Listen, I love your blog. But in this case the “update” makes it look like a geocities page from 1998. I’m guessing this is a upload problem from my end?

22 days ago

The new background is much better on the eyes. As stated before, I agree with most of the other feedback given.

Errapel
Errapel
22 days ago

I generally like the new look, nice and bold and uncluttered.

My only critique is that being severely dyslexic, I find black text on white background difficult or even painful to read. Even a slightly tinted background would help that enormously.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
22 days ago

Like the colour changes. Very readable*. Definitely getting there!

* It’s not something I bother to mention often, but I don’t see shades of red particularly well – they’re all a muddy grey/brown. Got a glitch in my genome that gives me very few functional red cones. Sadly, it’s heiritable – two of the kids got stuck with it too.

moregeekthan
moregeekthan
22 days ago

With the exception of the titles being a bit big, and the black on light being a bit jarring, the new site looks great on my phone. Would love a light on dark option, but don’t know if that’s an option with WordPress.
On my computer, there is a lot of unused white space on the sides, but it might be worth to make the look more consistent with the phone version.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Malitia,

Thanks for alerting us to the comment sections returning to the glossary and FAQ pages. There’s about a million trolls in the glossary and some funny mockery of them.

@WWTH
Is there a way to keep the comments on those posts visible but lock trolls from necroing them again?

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
22 days ago

On other news, police have gunned down the suspected murderer of a Trump partisan. That’s… not unexpected, but also a really distressing sign in my opinion.

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer
21 days ago

This is a very minor quibble, but the site no longer appears to have a link to your Twitter feed.

woodland sunflower
woodland sunflower
21 days ago

Owwwwwwww, that bright white! (OK, I get it’s actually lavender, but still, it hurts. Still too bright. Or mebbe the text is too dark. And that’s during the daytime. I don’t wanna even think how too-bright it would be at night, in the dark.)

Please, could the background be a light grey (or some other neutral)– I have old eyes too, and I get the need for contrast, but as it stands now, the site actively *hurts* my eyes.

Hambeast
Hambeast
21 days ago

Okay, I gave it the rest of the morning* and my edit did appear in the previous comment thread. But it was between the two original paragraphs for some reason.

I’m not getting any sidebars at all but that’s probably to do with settings on my ‘puter.

*Not sitting around waiting or anything, it’s just a cooking day and I was in the kitchen.

edited to check that I maybe wasn’t keeping track of where the cursor was last time.

further edited to say that yep, I probably didn’t move the cursor the first time and also that my edit showed up right away.

rv97
rv97
21 days ago

I want to second the point about the “if you’re being harassed” links. Omitting those would not be helpful.

Otherwise, while I love minimal design since I find it anti-elitist (am browsing on mobile right now too), I do find the background to produce quite a bit of glare for those browsing at night without browser extensions or an app.

The typography is usable at least. Not my taste to have a serif font, and the exact serif font used happens to be practically identical to what WordPress uses with their branding based on my experience (Noto Serif), but at least “l” and “I” are easier to tell apart. Roboto was the previous font used and at least that had an identity separate from WordPress.

The comment widget looks a bit off too with regards to the visual style.

21 days ago

@Hambeast

I’m not getting sidebars either, I think they’re just gone.

Beyond Ocean
Beyond Ocean
21 days ago

The new look is a little rough around the edges (the section headings’ fonts are a bit gigantic, and so are the page margins on desktop) but I’m loving it already because it loads so much faster for me both on mobile and desktop. Good job!

One serious gripe I have is that the comment section really needs navigation controls on top as well as on bottom, and the ability to jump to a particular comment page. As it is now, if I go to an article with a lot of comments and want to start reading them from the beginning, I have to scroll all the way down and then click “Older comments” several times.

kupo
kupo
21 days ago

I see that some people are still finding the font/bg color combo too harsh on the eyes even with the darker bg color, so here’s a tip from a web dev: instead of true black, try playing around with a slightly transparent black. Something like rgba(0,0,0,0.9) (this would give a 90% opacity black). Something that won’t make it too difficult for the people who need high contrast but won’t be too harsh on the eyes. It’s tricky to find that balance, I know. Good luck, and feel free to reach out with questions!

chicgeekmsw
chicgeekmsw
21 days ago

I understand why the riviter isn’t here, but I miss her. “Take that, Mister Misogynist!” Heck, I always though a version of her and that phrase would make a nifty tshirt. Just, that phrase, followed by ‘we hunted the mammoth/site url’.
Any way she can keep showing up under individual posts, under the ‘please send a few bucks out way?’
That said, I’m just glad you’re still here, and have a site that’ll avoid crashes and such.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
21 days ago

Comment pagination tutorial for wordpress. It seems it should be built it, maybe!

Not sure if the numbers will go on the top and the bottom, but having them in one pace would be a good start. 🙂 HTH!

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
21 days ago

Another bug with the new site version: it is sometimes serving up webp files mislabeled as jpegs.

21 days ago

Totally O/T: Merriam-Webster updated the definition of “female” in their dictionary (the one TERFs love to cite) to include the definition of “having a gender identity that is the opposite of male.” While there are some issues with this definition (it’s a bit binary, for one), TERFs are very upset.

1 2 3