Uncategorized

Incels agree: If guys don’t have sex in high school they’re ruined for life

“Teenagers” in love: Detail from cover of Teen-Age Romances

The PLEDGE DRIVE is almost over! If you’re a fan of this blog, please help fund its continued existence by clicking the button below. THANKS!

donate button

By David Futrelle

It’s not a secret that incels are obsessed with underage girls and the allegedly pure joys of teenage sex. Now they seem to have collectively decided that any guy who doesn’t manage to have sex in high school has lost out on something so magical that he is essentially scarred for life; he might as well rope, as they like to put it.

In a recent post on the Incels.co forums, an incel called Personalityinkwell declares, in all caps, that

SEX IN HIGH SCHOOL IS EVERYTHING

everything else is pure cope. …

The only thing that matters is having good genes/good parents so you can be a JB [jailbait] slayer, everything else is GIGACOPE.

Other incels expand on this theme. Mylifeistrash declares that

it’s the harshest pill

that you only got one shot in life and your genetics determined it all

no amount of self-improvement cope or money maxxing will ever make up for your teenage years

AmIjustDreaming agrees,

No amount of money or any other cope can make up for missed teen love. I’m almost 26 and the teenpill still gets to me. While I rotted playing video games, everyone else was having their first kiss, sex, teen love. It will fuck you up forever.

“Only teen love can make up for missed teen love,” laments LOLI BREEDING.

“Highschools need to offer euthanasia at the last day of school,” adds _wifebeater_.

The anger, naturally, stokes the incels’ feelings of entitlement.

“Its such a crime that we never got to fuck prime girls,” complains Ropemaxx.

And it’s not long before they start talking about the age of consent in the Phillipines.

Even aside from the pedophilia, an undercurrent in almost all incel discussions of sex, this is all just bullshit. There’s nothing magical about having sex as a teenager; it’s exciting, to be sure, but it can also be awkward and even a bit embarrassing, as no one knows what they’re doing at first. Sex can actually be a lot better for everyone once both partners have had a little more (or a lot more) experience.

And sex isn’t everything; it’s certainly a pleasant part of life, for those who are into it, but you can live without it. And lots of people do, living through “dry spells” than can last years. Not having sex in high school doesn’t make you special; it doesn’t even make you all that unusual, given that the average age at which Americans have sex for the first time at is 17, with the percentage of high schoolers having sex dropping below 50% in recent years.

That’s right: MOST PEOPLE in high school aren’t having sex.

Yes, it sucks to go through high school dateless. But there are worse things in life. And you have the rest of your life to make up for lost time. Move the fuck on, dudes; stop fixating on something you cannot change.

There are some guys whose lives basically peaked in high school who spend the rest of their lives trying to recapture what they felt the day they scored the winning touchdown. And they won’t shut up about it. Incels are doing something similar, only backwards, fixating on their sexual failures in high school and never shutting up about them. I can’t decide which group is more pathetic, but I know that neither the aging jock or the aging incel is going to be happy until they clear the resentment and self-hatred out of their heads and start living in the present.

@NautaliaC

But, I do like adding flavor and levity to the conversation if it’s welcome!

I can’t speak for everyone, but in my book it certainly is welcome (assuming the proper context, of course).

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
5 months ago

Weird Eddie : I know an ex Pars metro train driver. He changed jobs after having piloted a train that killed a teenager who was doing stupid stuff on the roof of the train. One of his responsability after stopping the train was to check if the poor sod was still alive, and his description was enough to leave a big mark on me just by second hand description. I don’t want to know how traumatizing the first hand experience must have been.

Apparently it’s one of the leading cause of turnout for metro driver. It’s not that common, about one accident per driver per ten year, but they considered that people should change job after such an accident.

@PoM : I don’t remember anything like that in France, perhaps because the country is overall more hostile to lawsuits.

@Ohlmann

It’s not just lawsuits, but the railways have their own police forces and can arrest people who screw around with train operations. It’s illegal to interfere with trains, and you can be criminally prosecuted.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ Policy & Ohlmann:

As a society, we do poorly when determining fault and liability…. FOR SURE….

The most common cause of accidents involving non-railroad personnel and vehicles is, and has always been, the failure to yield. The rail roads have done a good job (not great, but…) of getting grade crossing controls installed at crossings which have consistent traffic, and accidents involving grade crossing control failures are in single-digits-per-year now. The most common cause is the road vehicle operator not noticing or ignoring the control signals. When the rail roads have to design grade crossings control barriers that block BOTH DIRECTION LANES, it means that people driving around the barrier has reached crisis proportion.

The MOST preventable, tho, are the accidents caused by pedestrians being on the tracks. When I did the last of the PSA work (2010-ish?), that was the only category that was consistently increasing.

These are the ones the train drivers will never un-see. I reviewed and edited film that had scenes I desperately want to grab people and show them and MAKE them understand… civilians see the PSA… I AND the train drivers saw the whole scene.

Here’s an exercise:
Take a can of soda pop (full — we wanna get the proportions correct). Put it on the driveway and run over it with a standard family sedan.
Note the results.

When a 100-car unit train strikes a family sedan, the weight proportions are the same as when your car ran over the Coca-Cola.

The front “sheet metal” which strikes the sedan is 1/2″ – 1″ thick steel, but the damage to the locomotive isn’t done by the impact. Think of a train as a thunderbolt inside an eggshell. The train is big and heavy, but even that impact with the sedan can lever it off the rails. And getting it back ON the rails is very expensive, thus the lawsuit — not that the lawsuit solves the problem, but it is what it is.

@ Victorious Parasol, I, too had a fascination with PSAs, maybe still do… but after DOING PSAs, I now watch them with an ear to the experience of the emergency workers, the bystanders, and the others who will have to parse those images.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ Ohlmann;

it’s almost like the U.S. believes McDonalds OWES me $9 mill because I’m an idiot….

@ Policy:

If the link preview doesn’t show up, this is Arlo Guthrie doing his dad’s tune “East Texas Red” — oops, his dad’s friend Cisco Houston’s tune…

Dalillama
Dalillama
5 months ago

One would think “don’t walk on a fucking rail trestle” would be an obvious enough thing that nobody over the age of six should need to be told it. It’s right up there with “don’t play on the freeway” and “don’t waterslide down a sawmill” in terms of obviousness. As far as I’m concerned, any adult foolish enough to do that should be billed for it, and possibly face further penalties if they survive. Among other reasons, it’s a crime against the poor drivers who they forced to kill/injure them.

5 months ago

If you’re referring to the coffee lawsuit, that was grossly misreported in the media. The woman suffered third degree burns (burns that destroyed her flesh) and needed multiple skin grafts to her pelvic region because of something McDonald’s knew perfectly well was a danger and decided to do nothing about. From my understanding, she’s still in pain today. McDonald’s slandered her as a fool but nobody should expect molten lava to be in their coffee cup and you’re not a fool for that.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
5 months ago

@Dalillama : one of the causes for stupid accident in Paris metro is teenagers trying to outdo each other with dangerous stunts. That’s why the aforementioned teenager was on the roof. Unlike some other childlike behaviors like gamers insulting everyone mother, I didn’t heard of 25+ year people doing that.

And yes, I would easily classify this kind of stunt of unvoluntary assault. Similar to unvoluntary manslaughter, where your intent isn’t to do the deed but you still are very much responsible for it.

@PoM : yes I heard that that macdo coffee was like 70°C, which is an obviously insane temperature for a beverage. That being said, it’s still very american that the problem was solved via a lawsuit from that woman ; in France, the normal road would be for a governement agency to study how coffees are done and either punish MacDonalds or push for a law about that.

Alan Robertshaw

@ POM

nobody should expect molten lava to be in their coffee cup

I remember reading about this after the event. It did get me wondering. Over here coffee is served scalding hot. If you get it from a ‘greasy spoon’ cafe especially. They pump super heated steam through it so you can’t usually drink it until quite a while after. For example, I get a free coffee from a supermarket about two miles away. I take it home in one of those bamboo cup things; and it’s usually still too hot to drink straight way even then. Is coffee normally served a bit cooler in the States? I know that often people say not to use boiling water to make coffee; so is that a regional thing?

ETA: If you get takeaway coffee here in a cardboard cup they often put a polystyrene or corrugated card sleeve on it so you can hold it. Do they have those in the US?

5 months ago

It was 180-190 F which is more like 85 C, which is not insane because insanity has nothing to do with it, but rather a stupid temperature that nobody can drink and which can cause third-degree burns in 3 seconds of contact.

How does the victim get compensated for her injuries and expenses with no lawsuit?

@Alan

I don’t know the exact temperature of the coffee I buy, but it’s sippable immediately and can be drank normally in about 30 minutes. I buy from a Starbucks-like coffee shop which is local to my area; I think Starbucks serves their coffee drinkable, too.

I don’t drink a lot of coffee though, because it gives me palpitations. It’s only when I’m am super craving some that I will buy it. Regardless, McDonald’s had had to settle with other people who were burned by their coffee before the infamous suit, so they knew perfectly well it was dangerous. They made the calculated business decision that harming people wasn’t so expensive that they were motivated to stop, because their settlements were for relatively low sums every time someone was injured prior to the big lawsuit.

I normally drink green tea, which as every connoisseur knows is best brewed at 155 F.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
5 months ago

Well, sorry, I tend to use “insane” for “not thought out at all).

The victim in France would get healthcare regardless of lawsuit, and if left handicapped would get handicapped benefits. Neither are contingent on the women being blameless or MacDonald being guilty.

(now, the handicap benefit in France are at best stingy, and while somewhat socialized, being hospitalized can still be costly in France. It’s more that the system work entirely differently ; I would advice every country to get socialized healthcare, but I would not particulary direct them toward copying France)

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
5 months ago

(and I don’t mean it’s a good thing that I use insane for that ; it’s more that old habit die hard)

Catalpa
Catalpa
5 months ago

From my understanding, she’s still in pain today.

No, she’s dead, actually. Stella Liebeck was 79 at the time of the injury. She died in 2004 and according to her daughter she was in pain and suffered from significantly diminished quality of life for the 10 years following the incident, up until the day she died.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@PoM

Remember we’re talking about a (reasonably) civilized country here. The state would have covered the medical expenses as per usual, and pay out temporary disability payments, also as per usual.

Re: Paris train accidents
I recall a few years ago I followed the blog of an urban explorer who did a lot of stuff in the Paris Metro. He got some interesting photos of the inner workings of the lines, but definitely not advisable due to the extreme risks. His blog is down now, but I can try to find an archive link if anyone is interested.

5 months ago

I guess that makes sense. It seems like it didn’t happen that long ago, but I reckon it was quite a while back.

Alan Robertshaw

@ POM

which as every connoisseur knows is best brewed at 155 F.

I had to google the conversion to C!

I wonder though if that’s the cultural difference. You know what we’re like here for tea. And the conventional wisdom is that you have to use super hot water on tealeaves to blanche them to get the full flavour. An SAS team attempted Everest by some unconventional route and they complained that the altitude meant they couldn’t get the water hot enough to make decent tea. You’d think there’d be more things to worry about at 29,000 feet; like the whole breathing thing.

But takeaway places use the same boilers to make coffee as they do tea, so maybe that’s it.

The Enterprise replicators must have been programmed in America hence Picard having to specify “hot”.

ETA:

Presumably you’re familiar with Unsafe at any speed?

Clever4agirl
Clever4agirl
5 months ago

Omg coffee and safety shorts! My two favorite things!!!!

I shoot for 140f when serving coffee, 160 if they ask for it extra hot, too much hotter and you’ll scald the milk.

It’s not from the 70s but, duck and cover. Bert the turtle teaches kids about nuclear armageddon! From the 70s ricky raccoon is pretty out there, so is “what is nothing”

Any short from encyclopedia brittanica shows what happens when a company has money to burn and drug fueled writers.

From the 90s the wendys training videos featuring a rap on how to put soda in a cup

I’ll stop now, but I could go on all day

5 months ago

Well, black tea is different. It tastes like oxidation anyway so you might as well boil it to death. Green tea has multiple components which leach out of the leaves at different rates at different temperatures; the caffeine, which tastes bitter, comes out better at higher temps than lower ones. Catechins and amino acids come out at lower temps equally well, so you can get a full flavor without the bitterness by brewing lower.

I always figured he was distinguishing from iced tea.

Alan Robertshaw

@ POM

I always figured he was distinguishing from iced tea.

I’d never considered the possibility of iced Earl Grey. Iced Lady Grey might be nice though. It’s practically orange juice anyway.

@ clever4agirl

I’ll stop now, but I could go on all day

Go for it; I love PIFs!

Alan Robertshaw
5 months ago

Twinings used to do this amazing iced green tea with elderflower and ginseng. I was pretty much addicted to it. Then they discontinued it. I was having a bit of a grumble when my chambers roommate said she hated when things like that happened. “I have a letter standard letter though, you could use that. You might have to edit it a bit”

“As a black woman it is always such a pleasant surprise to find a foundation cream…”

Yeah, just a bit.

We then realised that as Twinings was literally next door I could go round and whinge in person. They gave me the last two boxes of it, at cost. That might have been just to get me out of there. Still a result though.

ETA:

@ POM

Ooh, thanks. I’ll skip the honey (Don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned it, but I’m vegan) but do have some vanilla pods somewhere, and lemons (G&T fan) and of course Earl Grey .I shall report back.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

@Alan : for all your need of PIFs, I will raise you that :

comment image

Only context I am willing to give is that it come from the french communist party.

Alan Robertshaw

@ ohlmann

“So remember kids, Charley says, stay away from the Bourgeoisie…”

@clever4agirl

I recall seeing that a few years ago. For those who haven’t seen it:

I grew up too late to have seen it in school or to have done nuclear drills, but the video sticks out to me as a charming video about a horrible thing.

Great, and now I’ve got the song stuck in my head again.

As for tea, my preference is chai. I make my own spice blend for it, and I find the spices often work well with other dishes as well.

Re: PIFs, it’s reminding me of Windows 3.1, where .pif (for Program Information File) was a kind of file used to run MS-DOS programs in Windows with custom settings.

Alan Robertshaw

@ Vicky P

Mr Parasol might like this one.

@Alan Robertshaw
To be honest, the bigger issue with Twitter seems to be when people tweet hateful content. Boring/irrelevant tweets can be easily ignored or muted. Maybe it would be better to have a PSA teaching people to keep their bigotry to themselves and not tweet about it.

O/T: TERFs are angry because a police department refused to hire someone who has self identified “gender critical” views. This story is likely being distorted somehow, this being the Telegraph, but my question is why someone decided to include their views on trans* people in a job application in the first place. Are they really that obsessed that they felt the need to include it in their job application?

Snowberry
Snowberry
5 months ago

As long as we’re randomly talking about tea, I think I’ve mentioned this here before, a long time ago, but regardless… I have no idea what black tea is supposed to taste like. It has negative flavor. I can’t even taste the impurities in the water, which is mildly disturbing. With flavored black tea, I can sometimes taste a vague hint of the other flavors, but what is the point of that? Green and white teas are good, though if there were something missing from them, there’s no way I’d notice.

Anyone else have the experience of some food or drink which should have flavor, but doesn’t for you, or even messes with your ability to taste?

Also randomly off topic, but I never cared that much for coffee either, it doesn’t taste bad, just kind of meh. “Meh” being that there are things which I like about it and things that I don’t, not that it’s flavorless. During the lockdowns I was trying new things out of boredom, and found that cold brew coffee gets rid of much of what I don’t like, and cold brew + milk is actually pretty good, so… I guess I can add coffee to the list of my occasional vices now? Just a very specific form of it.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
5 months ago

Parsley. For me, it seems to completely kill the flavour of anything it’s included in. Never really noticed it (it’s not something I use in cooking) until we went to France and had jambon persille. While flavourless ham was certainly an experience, I don’t think it was the experience the chef intended! 🙂

Coffee – love the smell, am indifferent to the taste. Haven’t had one since February.

@Snowberry

Cotton candy is like this for me, I’m not sure what it should taste like but to me it tastes like nothing, maybe a little bit sweet but no real flavor. Marshmallows are similar.

As for food that messes with tasting ability, try Synsepalum dulcificum, sometimes sold as “miracle berry.” If you eat the berry or tablets made from it, it causes everything to taste sweet for a while, even things that would ordinarily be bitter or sour. My favorite thing to eat with it was salt and vinegar chips.

I don’t like coffee but I like tiramisu.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

For me, hot Cheetos have heat but no flavor. They’re so gross. I love spicy food, but chillis or wasabi have flavor other than just burning. Not fucking hot Cheetos. Why are they so popular?

Cats In Shiny Hats
Cats In Shiny Hats
5 months ago

Oh, tea. I love tea. I have a distinct fondness for High Mountain Oolongs, although the Chinese Da Hong Pao is my ultimate favourite because of it’s high mineral content due to the ground it’s grown in.

Next month, if it hasn’t been cancelled, is the local tea festival. I get most of my tea from there.

Snowberry
Snowberry
5 months ago

No thanks. I actually like a lot of sour or bitter things, including things which are too sour for most people (I eat raw lemons on occasion, and drink unsweetened and undiluted drinking vinegar) but I find things which are basically nothing but “sweet” to be boring. Let me know if someone discovers an anti-miracle berry. 😝🙃

@Snowberry

Let me know if someone discovers an anti-miracle berry.

That sort of exists in the form of Gymnema sylvestre, which can be consumed as a tea and blocks sugar receptors in the tongue to make things taste less sweet. Though if you are diabetic or have problems with low blood sugar be warned that it also can reduce sugar absorption in the intestines and reduce blood sugar.

IMO it also tastes terrible, but if you like bitter things maybe you would like it.

drink unsweetened and undiluted drinking vinegar

Wouldn’t that give you a stomachache and/or heartburn?

Dalillama
Dalillama
5 months ago

Nah, it’s drinking vinegar, innit? Anyway, you can drink any old vinegar, really.(I am also a person who’s known to drink pure lemon juice)
Tbh, I had no idea anybody diluted or sweetened drinking vinegar. It’s vinegar, it’s for drinking, you drink it.

@Dalillama
Is drinking vinegar the same thing as shrub? I’ll admit I was unaware there was special vinegar for drinking, though I have heard of shrub.

5 months ago

When I was a kid I used to drink vinegar undiluted from the bottle, with as much salt as I could dissolve in it. Ostensibly this was for dipping carrots in, but once I ran out of carrot I would just drink the rest of the dipping vinegar because it was delicious. So it wasn’t whole cups of it, but it was a non-trivial quantity. It never gave me indigestion. I don’t do that anymore, but now that I’m thinking about it maybe I should.

Salt & vinegar potato chips should taste the same, but for some reason they don’t. I think they use a chemical other than vinegar for the vinegar flavoring.

Snowberry
Snowberry

@Naglfar:

Wouldn’t that give you a stomachache and/or heartburn?

I’ve heard that was a thing with some people, but not in my case, no. I mean, I have experienced stomachaches as a side effect of severe stress, but not otherwise, and I’ve never experienced heartburns.

So for a bit of clarity, I have a strong hedonistic streak. Every once in awhile, I’m in the mood to have a particularly intense experience of something which I already at least partly enjoy, because the intensity is enjoyable in of itself. So, relevant to this topic, over the years I’ve attempted to increase my tolerance of very strong flavors.

I’ve managed to build up to very intense pungent (example, ghost peppers), sour (example, undiluted drinking vinegar), and salty (pure salt).

It hasn’t worked for anything else. Bitter and astringent just make me sick if I try to go strong, and no amount of training has been able to overcome that. This is despite the fact that I actually like quite a lot of bitter flavors (though not all of them, and I mostly hate astringent flavors). Sweet and savory appear to have a ceiling for me which don’t go into the range of “intense”. Even pure sugars don’t taste that strongly.

[Edit]: Shrub is just drinking vinegar with flavor infusions, I believe.

Alan Robertshaw
5 months ago

I put loads of salt and vinegar on chips (as in the things you get from chip shops here; not what we call crisps) and when I get to the bottom I always drink the remaining vinegar from the paper.

Although apple cider vinegar is the foulest thing I’ve ever tasted; and I once ate a firelighter (for about 5 seconds).

Snowberry
Snowberry
5 months ago

Hmm, with some of the other regulars saying how they like strong sour things, I’m guessing I had to do a lot of work to get there because I experience it more intensely in general, or something. I’m more used to people being all “why would you do that?!” when they see me eating a lemon.

@Snowberry

I can handle extremely spicy or salty (though I don’t particularly like extreme saltiness), but I’m not much into extreme sour tastes. Salt and vinegar chips (crisps for our British Mammothers) are fine by me, but I don’t think I’d like pure vinegar.

@Alan Robertshaw
I personally like apple cider vinegar, though only on other things, not by itself. When I was in Ireland a few years ago I was able to find apple cider vinegar chips/crisps, which I enjoyed but have been unable to find in the US in stores. I probably could find them online, but don’t feel like taking the effort or paying for shipping.
Edit: I think this was the brand.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ Policy:

regarding the McD’s case, apologies, you are correct and I knew this — and did it anyway. I was wrong and I will try not to do that again.

@ Dalillama

nobody over the age of six should need to be told

absolutely. unfortunately our ingrained “not gonna happen to me” is very strong.

regarding ‘drinking the vinegar”… double-yoo-tee-eff??? did ya run out of beer???

re: “Duck and Cover” I remember that!!

as a child, we practiced nuke drills… I lived 4000 linear feet from the intersection of the two runways of a “first-strike target” (bomber refueling base)….

Like Duck OR Cover would’a helped….

Alan Robertshaw
5 months ago

The Romans (poor ones and soldiers anyway) drank posca; which is a type of drinking vinegar.

Mind you, they used rotten fish guts for ketchup.

@Alan

This might be relevant to your interests:

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

Alan Robertshaw

@ POM

I quite like Worcester sauce crisps (you can get vegan Worcester Sauce); and that’s apparently very similar to garum.

It must have been pretty popular though. When they analyse amphorae about a third of them used to contain garum.

Fun fact: More amphorae have been found at Tintagel than anywhere else in Britain combined.

@PoM
That YouTube channel looks interesting, thank you for sharing.

epitome of incomprehensibility

I like eating lemon and lime slices. But I don’t think I could manage a whole lemon or lime in one sitting.

re: railroad accidents – One of my great-grandfathers was killed by a train that way. I think the issue was he was losing his hearing. This was years before I was born, by the way – my father told me about it.

I wonder if it was the same grandfather of his who’d eat a whole pie (a fruit pie) every morning for breakfast… That was the family legend, anyway. To me, it’s more impressive that his wife would cook a whole pie every day just to have him eat it all 😛

Lumipuna
Lumipuna

Alan:

Was the end result less than almost entirely unlike tea?