jordan "slappy" peterson Uncategorized

Jordan Peterson got COVID and now even some of his fans are wondering if his daughter is going to kill him

Mikhaila Peterson: Munchausen by Daughter?

The PLEDGE DRIVE is almost over! If you’re a fan of this blog, please help fund its continued existence by clicking the button below. THANKS!

donate button

By David Futrelle

The news that Intellectual Dark Webber Jordan Peterson had caught the ‘rona hit his fans on Reddit hard.

But the circumstances of his latest ordeal seem more than a little fishy — he contracted the virus in the midst of some sort of rehab at a clinic in Serbia, not long after his daughter, crackpot nutrition guru Mikhaila Peterson, posted a video of herself in a Serbian club smoking a hookah and dancing to the “Numa Numa” song with not a face mask in sight.

This has led some of Peterson’s fans on Reddit to accuse her of infecting him with the virus, either from sheer recklessness or, even more darkly, because she’s a practitioner of Munchausen by Proxy who prefers her father sick.

“She’s probably the one who infected him in the first place,” wrote one Redditor called Jravensloot.

Can’t believe she was stupid enough to brag about going to crowded parties and Hookah bars in the middle of a pandemic and act surprised when she gets infected and spreads it to others.

“Did he get it from his idiot daughter?” asked kingoff00ls.

I’m fairly sure fresh out of rehab with a pandemic around he would basically be on house arrest. Meaning one of his family members most likely gave it to him.

I love Jordan Peterson but I really really really do not like his daughter.

Someone calling himself Dr_Jan_Itorr was even harsher:

His idiot daughter is going out to crowded bars in Eastern Europe and bringing it home with her. She doesn’t believe in it. She pushed him into that god awful quack treatment across the globe for his benzo addiction when he hadn’t even completed a standard detox in Canada yet. She’s nuts and she’s going to end up getting her father killed with this munchausen by proxy bullshit

In another comment, the good Dr. bemoaned what he sees as her

bizzare and seemingly joyous moments in the spotlight while he’s in a coma. She was so delighted to revel in the fact that she was the only source of news, plugged her own bullshit web$ite on the same clips where she talks about it. …

[L]ook up the phenomenon “munchausen by proxy” and go back to some of her videos where she validates bringing him for this totally back ally and vaguely described treatment … .

Others were equally quick to blame her for the COVID and all the other strange aspects of his various treatments over the last year, which took him to Russia, where he was put in an induced coma for his “treatment,” before landing in Serbia.

“I wonder how many other people she spread it to?” wrote The_Yangtard.

This selfish bitch most likely has blood on her hands, and it ain’t from the venison.

“If Jordan keeps listening to his daughter he’s gonna fucking die,” warned Dobbly_ginger_anus.

We don’t know exactly how Peterson caught the virus. According to a recent Instagram story from Mikhaila, the family was on total lockdown when her toddler daughter started showing symptoms.

10 days into the strict quarantine – and I mean strict, we didn’t go outside of the property – my toddler got symptoms of a flu – swiftly followed by the rest of us. Turns out a lot of people in Belgrade caught it, she must have caught it at the playground.⁣

It’s not altogether clear to me how the daughter could have caught the virus from “the playground” when no one in the family left their property.

In the Instagram story Mikhaila also claims that her father is “okay now,” which presumably means he’s over the virus.

But it’s hard to know for sure because she gives no more details. The world of the Petersons is such a dark and mysterious place, all the more so when the only source of information about the family is Mikhaila. I guess now all we can do is await news of the next medical catastrophe to strike her father.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness
1 month ago

Of course there is a woman to blame. Sorry, I mean there is a woman on the scene, therefore she is to blame. QED.

Tabby Lavalamp
Tabby Lavalamp

*checks watch*

Still schadenfreude time, but it’s getting perilously late and it may almost be time to feel bad for the guy. Maybe if the next bit of news is him stepping on a never-ending circle of rakes.

Anonymous
Anonymous
1 month ago

While I do think Mikhaila is as much of a grifter as her father, it’s extremely unlikely that she was directly responsible for infecting him with COVID. That said, he’s not entirely blameless either given that there was no reason to believe Serbia was safe from COVID (And why were they even going to go for rehab there? Did the brain damage from his last bungled attempt at rehab make him forget that shady clinics are bad news?)

Most likely, she’s just a profiteer, and if anything it just shows that the rotten apple rarely falls far from the tree. I can only hope they both survive to learn some important lessons about interdependence and the reliability of Western medicine over rugged individualism and pseudoscience.

1 month ago

Who wants to bet these people insisted COVID was a hoax until their guy got sick?

If Jordan keeps listening to his daughter he’s gonna fucking die

Probably true, seeing as IIRC the meat diet was her idea as well. Don’t get me wrong, Jordan’s an idiot and far worse, but it seems like his daughter’s medical advice should maybe be ignored.

@Anonymous

Presumably if he knew that shady clinics were bad news before he wouldn’t have gone to Russia for a coma.

@Tabby Lavalamp

it may almost be time to feel bad for the guy.

I’ll feel sorry when he changes his ways. Much of his misfortune seems attributable to some very poor decisions on his part, like the Russia thing.

C.A.Collins
C.A.Collins
1 month ago

Well, they say it’s an ill wind.
If he survives, but has neural issues, will we be able to tell in the benzo rehab or the Covid caused them?

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate
1 month ago

They’d naturally gravitate toward daughter/mom/sister/whatever female-blaming anyway, so this isn’t a surprise. As for Mikhaila, well, she makes a case for favoring crackpottery and nonsense as a genetic trait.

Lainy
Lainy
1 month ago

Man as much as i don’t like this guy, he does seem to love his kid. So i wonder how he feels with his followers calling her a bitch and saying she’s going to be the reason he dies.

Ariblester

Policy of Madness wrote on
August 11, 2020 at 5:51 pm:

Yes, the speed at which the Lobsterkin turn on her is… telling.

Full Metal Ox
1 month ago

Moral: Cool Girl ™ status, with no exceptions, is revokable at a moment’s notice.

@Lainy

Grifters care about one thing: money. If it gets him more money, he won’t care what people say about his daughter. It’s possible he does care about her, but I have yet to see much evidence he cares about anything beyond his grift.

@Full Metal Ox

This is true for other alt right token figures (i.e. alt right black, gay, Jewish tokens, etc) as well. The minute they are no longer useful, they will be thrown under the bus, like Milo Yiannopoulos was.

O/T, but may be of interest to some is this special edition of The Sociological Review about transfeminism.

Also O/T, but somewhat funny:
We hadn’t heard from Graham Linehan in a while, but it looks like he is so desperate for attention that he is paying for FaceBook ads that direct people to his blog. Which costs 9 pounds a month to comment on.
comment image
At this point I think even most of his former GC friends have given up on him.

Anonymous
Anonymous

@Naglfar

I feel it would be fitting if that’s also the way Mikhaila feels about him. After all, who else would she have learned it from?

Dengler
Dengler
1 month ago

I feel pity for Peterson. The guy was\is an excellent prose poet and motivational speaker and his practical advices are pretty solid neo-Stoicist pop-psych. He should have stuck to these matters instead of masquerading as a “serious philosopher” and a “Guru”. Sadly, JP has been ruined by his violation of his own rules, precisely, rules from six through ten.

Ariblester

Dengler wrote on
August 12, 2020 at 2:13 am:

He would still have been a misogynist and a transphobe, so you’re basically saying that his mistake was in saying the quiet part out loud. No.

occasional reader
occasional reader
1 month ago

(Sleuth novel tone) “No, the lobster did it.”

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady
1 month ago

This is why doctor shopping for medics who’ll do anything you want as long as the money is there, medical ethics be damned, is a bad idea.

It usually doesn’t turn out well.

He only has himself to blame.

Lollypop
Lollypop
1 month ago

I follow a few psychiatrists on Twitter, and they were discussing at a recent conference micro tapering from benzos – reducing the dose by infinitesimal amounts, which can potentially take years (and was, interestingly enough, how Johnny Winter’s manager got him off methadone).

I don’t know how common this is as a treatment plan but it sounds a hell a lot better than a brain-frying cold turkey. If he was embarrassed about the addiction and didn’t want anyone to know, it would have made far more secret as well.

Battering Lamb
Battering Lamb
1 month ago

Mostly a reminder that ‘they hate you less’ is not the same as ‘they do not hate you’. Also, ‘Graham Linehan – Beloved Internet Personality’ is a combination of words that only adds up in his head.

@Dengler

The guy was\is an excellent prose poet and motivational speaker

If so (and I doubt this very much), he only seems to “motivate” angry white men.

and his practical advices are pretty solid neo-Stoicist pop-psych.

Am I the only one who read “solid pop-psych” as an oxymoron?

And of course as Ariblester mentioned, he is transphobic and misogynistic. In addition to those, he also is a historical revisionist and Nazi apologist.

@Battering Lamb

It’s something he’s called himself sarcastically (I think?) for years. In theory he is a comedian, and in theory he claimed that after getting kicked off Twitter he would try to be funny again, but at this point he seems to have destroyed his reputation and career to the point of no return.

=8)-DX
=8)-DX
1 month ago

Dobbly_ginger_anus is… an *honest* username. Also, it’s clearly possible for someone to only start showing symptoms 10 days into quarantine, presumably the kid picked up covid at the playground and only started being infections a week later, with symptoms after 10 days.

I mean Mikhaila could’ve picked it up at that bar, but it’s there’s really no way of knowing with SARS-CoV-2.
=8)-DX

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
1 month ago

I can’t get an up to date copy of this page. There is a comment by Naglfar that I know exists that isn’t being shown. The URL I’m using is:

NO comment-page-2 or #comment47572 or similar on the end. JUST what you see there, directly above this paragraph.

Kupo, your claimed fix for this DOES. NOT. WORK.

How do I ACTUALLY force a full, up-to-date reload of this page?

Shift-click reload also DOES NOT WORK. Regular reload 100x in a row also DOES NOT WORK. Maybe 500x or 5000x would work but I DO NOT WANT to be stuck hammering on the damn reload button for however long it would take me to input that many damn clicks. I just want the damn thing to bloody work. On ONE click. HOW DO I?

@Surplus
Try clicking the link to the comments then reloading.

moregeekthan
moregeekthan
1 month ago

I don’t wish bad medical outcomes on anyone, but if you decide to try to solve your medical issue by having shady Russian doctors put you in a coma, your outcome might not be optimal.

@ Surplus

Browsers don’t always fully update the page when we want them to. Sometimes they just reload the un-updated version from memory. The least-effort way around this is to have more than one browser installed, and switch to a different one if a page isn’t showing something you think it should.

Paireon
Paireon
1 month ago

Oh, my, look at the time, it’s schadenfreude o’clock!

Call me a Bad Person(tm) if you will, I can own up to it. I still think Jordan getting ‘rona’d, his lobster fanboys wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth over it, and Mikhaila getting blamed for it because no Y chromosome is pretty funny. In any case at this point both are terrible persons methinks so I’m not gonna cry over it (even though it does show how readily tokens are pounced on by the right when anything goes wrong or even if it’s just convenient; see how the Bush/Cheney administration sent out Colin Powell as a sacrificial lamb/scapegoat before the UN to try and justify the Iraq invasion. No way they didn’t know they were sending him out on a political/career suicide mission; well, maybe not Bush because he’s a bit on the stupid side).

In any case, Peterson’s constant fussing over “Muh Liberties (read: privilege as a white cishet man)” makes me think he wasn’t always super careful himself; if he wasn’t so sick lately he’d probably harping on faux-profound bullshit about the “deeply noble defense of Western Civilization’s Core Values(tm)” anti-maskers are currently engaged in. And someone who trusts shady private Russian healthcare over flawed-but-still-outstanding-overall Canadian healthcare is probably a horrible judge concerning health matters in general (see that bonkers diet for corroborating evidence).

Also, concerning Munchhausen by proxy, I just got a bit of a hypothesis: could it be possible (especially given that from recent-ish events, it could be inferred that Jordan Peterson may never really have been the pillar of mental stability he was portrayed as) that he himself had it, and therefore imposed this on his daughter, which if the case could be the true root cause of the childhood health problems that led her to adopt her “red meat-salt-and-water only” diet? Because if true (no idea if it is, or even if plausible/possible), that would make her also having Munchhausen and imposing it on her father in turn now that he’s the one in a vulnerable position quite the irony indeed (hope I didn’t sound ableist).

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Surplus,

I’m beyond sick of you derailing practically every thread with complaints about the working of the site. Can you please stop? There’s nothing we can do about it.

Everyone else,

I can’t and won’t tell you that you have to stop responding to Surplus’ tech complaints. But maybe it would be a good idea to stop responding. He’s only going to complain that your solutions don’t work. What’s the point?

Luzbelitx
1 month ago

In Soviet Russia, you don’t fall into a coma,the coma falls into you.

moregeekthan
moregeekthan

@WWTH

My day job involves supporting software that runs in a browser, and can be flakey about updating. At this point, I have an uncontrollable reflex to tell people to try another browser when something doesn’t update correctly.

Karl
Karl
1 month ago

“Did he get it from his idiot daughter?” asked kingoff00ls.

Butbutbutbut… I thought the whole schtick of the intellectual dork web was that things like intelligence are hereditary and set in stone? If they think his daughter is an idiot, wouldn’t that mean that her parents are idiots too?

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
1 month ago

@WWTH – UGH YES. No one can fix it. I was gone for months, and it’s super frustrating to see that Surplus is still going on about this. STILL.

@Paireon – I’m a little uncomfortable about the arm chair diagnosing happening in that comment. I don’t know if his daughter is doing anything shady, and I don’t know if her father did anything shady to her. Her health issues aren’t anything that we, as not her doctors, can comment on. (Besides how AWFUL a meat-salt-water diet is, that’s totally up for grabs. It’s a terrible idea!)

Re: the OP – UGH. It’s a really good illustration on how the ‘cool girl’ status is so… temporary.

I wish Jeep didn’t go to russia for some strange treatment. I wish he didn’t get the illness, because I wish that no one got this illness.

But I’m going to worry less about *him*, the professor with fame and money, and more about our essential workers. And all the temporary workers. And the migrant workers. And the people in the meat processing plants. And people in poorer neighbourhoods. And the people who are going to get evicted, for not paying rent. And and and and and.

He can afford his care, and I hope he gets some good treatments. I’ll worry about people who might not have the same monetary safety net, I think. :/

@Karl

wouldn’t that mean that her parents are idiots too?

I’m guessing that they would then just transfer blame to JP’s wife. I don’t know anything about her, so I’m not sure how they feel about her.

@Rhuu

I have my doubts that he actually follows that diet. Unless he’s eating a lot of organ meats, which most people don’t, he’d have some pretty awful vitamin deficiency stuff going on, and since he doesn’t appear to, it’s probably another grift that he’s lying about.

Paireon
Paireon
1 month ago

@Rhuu – apparently an illiterati : Sorry, didn’t want to disturb you, I certainly don’t claim to be anything like a medical professional and certainly make zero claims as to diagnosis, it’s just that since the JP fanboys went at it themselves I simply decided to push and twist their “logic” further for irony purposes; besides, it would fit their claims about heredity. It was just an amusing (to me) thought experiment, not anything I’d put up as potentially valid IRL (as you said I don’t have the capacity for that particular judgement call – although given the Petersons’ seeming preference for shady quacks, I’m not sure that their family doc/shrink is qualified for it either).

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
1 month ago

Lamarck had some weird ideas about evolution and inheritance. And then there’s the lobsterkin.

(OT – Having a great first day at the new job!)

NOBODY
NOBODY

@Surplus

It’s sounding like you have more than just a browser problem (though you should install another to be sure).

Is your browser up-to-date?

Is you system up-to-date? I know many problems disappear once I install the updates I was putting off for weeks.

Internet connection? Old computer?
One of the computers I use has started to freeze up more and more frequently after restarts and I fear it’s days are numbered.

Other commenters are expressing the type of frustration usually heard after advice is given and then ignored. I’m taking a more generous interpretation, and assuming this advice did work in the past, then stopped working for whatever reason.

You could also have a crap laptop/phone. All my persistently annoying lags and other problems vanished when I got a Motorola.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
1 month ago

O/T, but this seems like it might interest some people here.

A collection of classic books by women authors has been released, but this time using their real names; rather than the pseudonyms they had to use to get published.

And best part is; the e-book versions are free!.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@NOBODY

Mmm… good luck with that, tho. It’s not the ignored part. It’s the “railed at like it was their fault when they tried to help, multiple times, over an extremely trivial matter which is being treated as a vast multinational conspiracy of life and death proportions.”

The main issue is that the internet is not immediately consistent. CAP theorem, you know. It’s a distributed system that is eventually consistent. The “problem” will never go away. It’s a feature, not a bug.

Daxter
Daxter

@Paireon

Real people’s mental health is not a thought experiment.

Troy Schulz
Troy Schulz
1 month ago

I’m not entirely unconvinced that Jordan isn’t already dead and his daughter’s just playing footsie with the corpse while trying to come up with a plausible cause-of-death that doesn’t directly implicate her.

Matthew Flowers
Matthew Flowers
1 day ago

Well, this seems harsh. He eats vegetables. I’ve had the same diet for a few days. I felt great. Weird shits though. Lots of protein. TeeeHeee!