Uncategorized

Angry gamers are still furious at Abby from The Last of Us 2 for being “unrealistically” buff in a zombie game

Actual real human woman (not video game character)

It’s PLEDGE DRIVE time again! If you’re a fan of this blog, please help fund its continued existence by clicking the button below. THANKS!

donate button

By David Futrelle

Angry gamers are somehow still up in arms about the body of the character Abby in The Last of Us 2. You may recall, back in April the angriest gamers — the perpetual Gamergaters — were outraged after a studio leak revealed that the character Abby would be returning in the sequel as a newly-buff fighter with notably jacked arms.

At first the angry gamers assumed that any woman that buff had to be trans, so they accused the game studio, Naughty Dog, of pushing an LGBT+ agenda on innocent gamers. Then, when it turned out that Abby was not trans, the angry gamers got mad at Abby for a whole other reason — declaring that her body was “unrealistic” because where would she be getting enough food to bulk up like that in a postapocalyptic world and did she even lift, bro?

The game has been out for some time now and they’re still mad.

But now the angry gamers think they have found DEFINITIVE PROOF that Abby’s body is too good to be true — in the form of a workout schedule for Abby they discovered somewhere in the games assets that reveals, well, that she doesn’t lift enough to have arms like THAT.

“[A]bby is more muscular Than 90% of the Guys in the gym where i was workout,” complains another gamer on Twitter. “No girl in the gym looks as ugly as Abby.”

Other, er, critics make much of the fact that food is rationed in the dire dystopian world of the game.

“Her food is rationed,” insists one of Abby’s critics. “They SHOW that in game. She’d never be able to get the lean protein required to get that big.”

“Abby … has a muscular physique … in an environment where proper diet is so rare that food is rationed out,” another Abby non-fan grumbles. “You can say you don’t care but you can’t claim that this all about hating women.”

Like hell I can’t.

In case you’re wondering just how jacked this woman is, here’s what she looks like.

This is the body that these guys are declaring so “unrealistic”that it destroys any feelings of immersion in the game — a game that also features, yes, ZOMBIES. You know, creatures that DON’T ACTUALLY EXIST IN REAL LIFE

Come to think of it, has anyone found the zombies’ workout schedule?

More to the point, has anyone even gone looking for the workout schedules for any of the far-more-improbably buff bodies of assorted male video game heroes — say, the top-heavy soldiers in Gears of War, Batman in the Arkham series, Zangief in Street Fighter — or any of the other imaginary video game men on this handy list?

Of course not. It’s almost as if there’s a double standard. It’s almost as if Abby’s critics just can’t stand the thought of a strong women, or something. “It’s such a weird, ultra-specific way to be misogynistic while claiming to appeal to logic,” notes podcaster Jubel Brosseau on Twitter. That it is.

Valentin
Valentin
1 month ago

Apart from some things, I dont think Obama was a leader to be proud of. Especially if you were seeking asylum or live in the middle east.

‘I no longer love blue skies. In fact, now I prefer grey skies. The drones do not fly when the skies are grey.’

@Victorious Parasol

You are merely prejudiced against my prose, and I would say unfairly so; no doubt, if I happened to take your side in any of these disputes, you would go so far as to recognize the brilliance of my craftsmanship, you would find it nigh impossible not to extol the virtues of my fluency with language. But, because I have committed the unpardonable sin of having disagreed with you over some trifling matter that you cannot find it within yourself not to get all exasperated about, you snipe and make unfair remarks about my style. What makes you even think that you are qualified to speak in regards to my writing style?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ skimmingway

I swear to god (does he exist?

On the other thread you’ve stated you believe Jesus is the son of god; so surely, to be consistent, he must do?

Valentin
Valentin
1 month ago

No skimmingway you just write pretentious

Specialffrog
Specialffrog
1 month ago

The Batman comment makes me recall this article: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dark-knight-shift-why-bat/

@skimmingway

1. A degree in English.
2. Decades of reading.
3. Making my first professional fiction sale when I was only 19.
4. Approximately 30 years in a profession where written communication had to be clear and (if possible) succinct.
5. Experience in writing scripts for instructional videos (again, for which I got paid).

I haven’t had breakfast yet, so I’ll stick with the short list above.

@Alan Robertspew

I was being FACETIOUS, Alan. Are you toying with me?

@Lollipop

“could you at least avoid using the cringingly forced language of a badly written school play?”

I’ve never used such language in my life, and I never will. If you could be so kind as to point out where I did that, maybe I would take your little complaint more seriously? But you won’t, because you can’t. There’s nothing at all forced, cringe-inducing, or badly written about my comments. This is a problem of perception, and I suspect it lies on your end.

Mog
Mog

@Skimmingway
“ You are merely prejudiced against my prose, and I would say unfairly so; no doubt, if I happened to take your side in any of these disputes, you would go so far as to recognize the brilliance of my craftsmanship, you would find it nigh impossible not to extol the virtues of my fluency with language”

Even in Georgian England Mr Collins was a joke. Don’t you think it’s a bit tired by now?

One more thing:

If you were on my side in any discussion, I’d be embarrassed to have a supporter with such poor written communication skills. It’s like having a red-faced screaming toddler on my side.

occasional reader
occasional reader

> Catalpa
Yes, there are women in GoW. One is the leader of some sort of robotic empire, and there are some in the Gears ranks. Someone can correct me if i am wrong, but there is at least one main NPC in the four who is a woman, and she is promoted as a playable PC in the 5 (not during all the course of the game, thought).
And there are also woman Gears in Tactic Gears (this one i am sure cause i bought it, alas).

Anyway, their whining is just probably a way for some of them to maintain the flame of GG, as the movement slowly die of non-aknowledgement by the audience in general, and by the normal game community in particular. A bit like a god with no believer, in some settings.

@VP

1. Leftist indoctrination, ideology masquerading as education.
2. Reading what? The back of the same cereal box?
3. In some kind of lewd, low-brow rag that, no doubt, no person of civilized tastes would patronize.
4. Spelling “HELP” in stones on the beach?
5. Aimed at 5 year olds?

@all of you

I’m serious; you all need to get over yourselves.

@skimmingway

1. Nope. Try again. One of my professors preferred the 1928 Book of Common Prayer and had some really odd ideas about Darwin.
2. Only over breakfast when I was a kid, since Mom didn’t want me bring a book to the table.
3. Nope. Anthology market by a major publisher.
4. Nope. For one thing, I lived landlocked for all but about 5 years of my life.
5. Nope. Though if 5 years is the highest age group you can think of, I certainly understand.

Valentin
Valentin
1 month ago

I’m serious; you all need to get over yourselves.

If you are struggling to make good arguments and defend your beliefs, then you can always stop commenting. No one is forcing you to be here. Go off and enjoy your ignorance. I guess evidence is scary to you.

@skimmingway

I am actually quite incapable of experiencing sexual arousal most of the time

That’s wonderful news for women around the world.

how specific that particular little jab of yours was

That’s nothing. This is all writing so you’re not hearing the (very justified) anger in my voice or seeing the angry look on my face. And that’s only the start.

You write like I’m supposed to think that my making a specific little written jab at you in writing here is supposed to be some kind of bad thing. I’m proud of it and if I was dealing with you it would be just the beginning. The fact is though that you probably *wouldn’t* and would just scurry away intimidated but still with a creepy obsession. I never know what any individual will do but I’m saying that’s typical of your type.

You are going on and on about women who aren’t attractive to you but I bet you are intimidated and can’t handle powerful women and being in one’s presence even if she does meet your standards of being attractive.

That reveals your true colors, jerk.

unlike any of those men of yours that you take such delight in gushing about, I’d rather not torture myself.

I do gush about them and love it because they’re awesome and as brilliant and creative as they are handsome and hot which is why I pick them and it’s quite the opposite of torture but incredible pleasure which I’m sure you will not understand because with your attitude you could never connect with and co-create art with anyone.

The thing is though in the comments in the other post you went on and on about strong fit men as if they are only to be found among people with your reprehensible ideas but I’m surrounded by a lot of willing male muscle every day.

I would not likely be able to describe it in anyway that would satisfy the both of us.

Although just reading the words “satisfy both of us” when thinking about a creep like you grosses me out even more I still maybe should point out that this means you’re admitting your lack of intellect and ability to explain things which you told everyone here was unstoppable and unbeatable.

So, yeah, you just admitted you fail with your words.

Naglfar
Naglfar
1 month ago

Wow, looks like while I was sleeping I missed Skimmingway. I don’t have time to respond to all of his drivel, so I’ll just take apart some of the more recent parts.

I am actually quite incapable of experiencing sexual arousal most of the time; the very thought of sexual activity is somewhat distressing to me, and I find the notion that I would ogle you, expressed in your previous post, to be risible, and not just because of how specific that particular little jab of yours was.

Well, if it makes you feel better, I doubt any woman experiences sexual arousal from you.

Nah, I think I’d ask you to step aside and let someone else who is better at writing have a go.

Are you toying with me?

It took you this long to realize that? Wow, you truly don’t understand anything.

I’m serious; you all need to get over yourselves.

You first. Nobody else here thinks they’re the best author ever for writing weird junk. If you’re tired of getting mocked, try going elsewhere. Nobody’s keeping you here.

1 month ago

Fuck that shit, I’m not wasting my time on a bunch of assholes who wouldn’t know good prose if they carried it around in them for 9 months and it strangled them with its umbilical chord. This is too fucking much. There are PLENTY of people just chomping at the bits out there, ready to make my acquaintance, desperate for some wordsmith that can put their ideas into compelling, evocative sentences. I don’t need to waste my time educating the uneducable. You should all just fuck each other. Waste of my fucking time.

@skimmingway

You should all just fuck each otter.

There are no otters here. Besides, I prefer humans, not to mention I’m both monogamous and married.

Also, it’s “umbilical cord,” not “umbilical chord.” That’s the kind of mistake that would get you a formal reprimand at my old company.

Nequam
Nequam
1 month ago

I’ll say one thing about him switching voice from pompous and dull to vulgar (and dull): the new posts are shorter and ever so much quicker to scroll past.

1 month ago

You should all just fuck each otter.

Victorious Parasol is right that there’s no otters here.

I also prefer human men and don’t like fucking anyway as much as enjoying other ways that they can please me.

So I guess this is his meltdown and leaving? 🙂

Catalpa
Catalpa

@Skimmingway

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

@Occasional Reader

Oh, there are? *googles* Ah, so it was the other reason why whiny manbabies weren’t screaming about the series. Apparently men and horses become chunkier due to increased gravity, but women remain with the exact same conventionally attractive body type. Funny how that works.

Specialffrog
Specialffrog
1 month ago

Not the worst flounce, though it loses points for “chomping at the bits”.

Though it might be possible to use “champing at the bits” to suggest that one is eager to begin electronic communication.

Lollypop
Lollypop

@skimmingway

Let me set the scene. You are sat in the audience in a school hall, the smell of gym socks and body spray in the air. Observing with vague embarassment the production on stage before you, a spotty youth wearing a poorly-stitched frock coat and an approximation of a eighteenth century wig steps forward to announce:

“Not one soul in our increasingly pitiable nation elected that wench, and if they honestly considered their vote for her husband to count as such, I would say right then and there that the time for monarchy in this nation was passed due.”

To which his fellow actor replies:

“Words straight from a lewd, low-brow rag that, no doubt, no person of civilized tastes would patronize.”

As everyone in the audience quietly dies.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Skimmingway

Then leave. Nobody is keeping you here.

Yes, there are many people who don’t know much about anything and want to read purple prose confirming all their ideas. You won’t find many here though.

Then leave. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

@skimmingway

I’m serious; you all need to get over yourselves.

No, I don’t because I’m awesome and literally worshipped as a living goddess by some.

(It being performance art doesn’t make the sincerity of my worshippers’ beliefs any less real so and it’s entirely consistent with accepted neopagan spirituality so, no, I’m not in need of psychiatric help.)

@Mog

Thank you for citing the mighty Jane Austen. Though if the choice were between skimmingway and Mr. Collins, I could put up with the latter. As his dear Charlotte observed, “I ask only a comfortable home; and considering Mr. Collins’s character, connections, and situation in life, I am convinced that my chance of happiness with him is as fair as most people can boast on entering the marriage state.” Sad portrait of a lady who could only marry for security. I’m glad I got to marry for love instead.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
1 month ago

You should all just fuck each otter.

I welcome any excuse to post this.

comment image

@Victorious Parasol

I’m glad I got to marry for love instead.

The way you talk about him and your relationship in your comments is beautiful and inspiring.

Naglfar
Naglfar
1 month ago

My favorite thing about otters is how they like to eat while floating on their backs. They look so chill.

@Stacey
I think Skimmingway is probably jealous of you. He thinks he should be worshipped because he thinks he’s the greatest person ever to live, but nobody’s worshipping him because he’s just an annoying guy online.

North Sea Sparkly Dragon
North Sea Sparkly Dragon
1 month ago

About the arms, I seen more ‘buff’ women every time I go to the pool. I dream of having toned shoulders like that. She seems fairly realistic for a woman in a manual lifestyle, with a low fat diet. I don’t do restricted diets because it’s bad for my mental health and it’s not healthy anyway, so I’ll probably never have that body. Someone suggested a leg float to me today at the pool, to improve my arm and shoulder strength and toning. I might give it a try.

About Michelle Obama; she’s an intelligent, independent woman, of course insecure men are scared of her. I’m not sure why people are so obsessed with her appearance, surely it’s how good at her job she is/was? I didn’t agree with her push to weigh and measure children, in an effort to ‘combat obesity’. It does no good and causes serious body and eating issues, exacerbating the pain caused by diet culture but now with state backing. Education about healthy diets and enjoyable exercise is a good thing, but it often becomes restrictive and punishing. A lot of kids end up believing exercise is something you do to allow yourself to eat, as opposed to something that is fun and enjoyable. Same with food.

@VP I am jealous of your career, but in a good way. I should have studied English rather than Chemistry.

I always felt sorry for Charlotte, but she did her best in a bad situation. I also had a thought the other day, if Jane and Bingley had a son before Mr Bennett died, wouldn’t their son inherit the Bennett property, rather than the Collins’? I want someone to write a sequel where Jane has a bouncing baby boy a few weeks before Mr B dies, and the Collins’ try to take them to court for Mr Bennett’s estate. Of course, lady Catherine would support the Collins’ but the Darcys would support the Bingleys. A big legal drama.

@Skimmingway, you sound like Mr Collins on steroids. He was a joke in 1820, you are most certainly a joke in 2020. Now bugger off, you obnoxious tit.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 month ago

I wonder if he is litteral when talking about fucking time. Like, maybe he have a condition that mean he need to fuck exactly one hour per day on pain of death ? With all the problem that it cause when his significant other is horny or not horny, or when he is on travel. Imagine having to plan a travel from New York to Singapour with that kind of restriction.

Then, his complain of us being a waste of his fucking time would be something we could get behind.

C.A.Collins
C.A.Collins
1 month ago

What’s the book on the troll sticking its flounce?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ naglfar

And they juggle.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@C.A. Collins
This is flounce #2.

@StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved

Thank you. One of our wedding vows is “to create with you a living example of the beauty of a relationship between a man and a woman” so I’m always pleased to hear that we have succeeded. I confess I’m more partial to another vow we made: “to believe in you even when you doubt yourself.”

@North Sea Sparkly Dragon

Aw, thank you! Chemistry (specifically o-chem) was a major stumbling block for me in college, but I don’t regret switching majors. The English faculty was most welcoming.

@Naglfar

I think he was also jealous of you. He knew you are a musician and so are a creative person. I understand that a person who is creative whether in music or writing or art wants to see their work appreciated and enjoyed but you don’t get to go around telling people they’re stupid if they don’t like what you create. That’s his entitlement making him do that. I think his obsession with you was from envy of you.

I love being a living goddess but because as a human I’m an artist it takes a lot of energy and effort to create the scenes we create. I love being literally worshipped and having the power I have but I didn’t get to just snap my fingers and make it happen.

Incels complain that I have it easy just because I have almost every guy I see interested in me but most are unattractive to me physically and “interested” means “would like to harass me” creepily. And of the guys who are handsome and have the body I want and are tall enough only a few have the inner sense of spirit to make it possible for them to like what I like. So there aren’t many guys I really have to choose from which means the patience and hard work on my part is still something I have to do. Sometimes I think about maybe letting guys I’m less attracted to at least have some type of limited worshiper-goddess relationship with me but for them because I’m not attracted to them there wouldn’t be the sexual part of the relationship for them so I would probably just be back to NiceGuy complainer bullshit x 10. So I haven’t pursued that so far even though it might potentially help with funding. It doesn’t seem worth it right now.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 month ago

I love L’Otters. Allons les loutres, on prend le maquis! Les fachos, les nazillons, y passeront pas!

@Victorious Parasol

That is so inspiring. I am like tearing up here.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Stacey

I think his obsession with you was from envy of you.

That’s probably part of it, as he seems very insecure in himself. He also is probably annoyed I keep tearing apart all his arguments.

Christine Morgan
Christine Morgan
1 month ago

Dang, so used to seeing those guys bleating in writer’s groups that I almost forgot where I was for a minute.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 month ago

@Mog, you’ve got him to a T. Comical heights of self-importance, combined with all the bombast and the most pretentious obfuscation the lad can muster – yup, Mr. Collins it is!

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 month ago

“but they were supposed to be loser, and not only did they seem unfazed, but they alway pointed out my failing !”
– Skimmingway, probably.

What is certain is that he was coming here believing to find a bunch of loser. Given how sad and bitter it seem, almost certainly because he though finding worse than him would help him feel better.

The other thing with him is that he think all leftists are alike, and that mean overweight and sad at home. Which is why his insult almost alway tended to fall flat. I think he tried to call me a whale except that I am toeing the underweight line at the moment.

@Naglfar

He also is probably annoyed I keep tearing apart all his arguments.

Yes, because you did and so did other commenters. He’s supposed to be so much smarter than everyone so he can’t handle it.

@StaceySmartyPants

Thank you. Mr. Parasol is also pleased at the appreciation.

Going back to the Austen discussion – hey, Alan? I know inheritance laws can be complicated, but the Bennet estate was entailed and only could be inherited by a son rather than a son-in-law, correct? Frankly, I say let the Collinses have it – a bigger house means that poor Charlotte has more rooms in which to avoid her husband.

I swear, Charlotte is the most tragic figure in P&P, the more so because her situation is so realistic. Most women in history could only dream of marrying a wealthy man who loved them and would treat them well, as we see with Jane and Elizabeth. Charlotte is a type we see to this day: Mr. Collins is not wealthy, but he’s a good social match, and he can support them easily. Charlotte has no property and is not considered a beauty; her opportunities and therefore her choices are limited.

Lollypop
Lollypop

@Victorious Parasol

Completely agree, I think her treatment in the 2005 film with Keira Knightley is so much more sensitive than the TV adaption with Colin Firth (although I like both for different reasons). It was a kindness to give her a happier ending, rather than the just deserts of a social climber, and cathartic in her “don’t you dare judge me, Lizzie” speech.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Vicky P

I believe it is something like that; although I must confess I got very confused when we did ‘settled property’ in our land law lectures.

My tutor though was a big Austen fan; there were a lot of familiar names in the exam questions.

She explained to us how the novels were written to highlight issues around how the law disadvantaged women; and that the books did contribute to the eventual passage of The Married Womens’ Property Act(s) which were an attempt to address some of the injustices.

A theme which is picked up in this book:

You may also want to check out Mary Wollstonecraft’s Maria; which was written with similar intent.

@Lollypop

I really should get around to watching that … I start the new job on Wednesday, so I have today and tomorrow to indulge in media consumption.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness
1 month ago

So skimmingway is also racist. What a shocking, shocking development!

Cats In Shiny Hats
Cats In Shiny Hats
1 month ago

My arms are almost that buff from carrying my satchel and parcels. I don’t work out other than, well, work. It’s really not super buff.