Uncategorized

Angry gamers are still furious at Abby from The Last of Us 2 for being “unrealistically” buff in a zombie game

Actual real human woman (not video game character)

It’s PLEDGE DRIVE time again! If you’re a fan of this blog, please help fund its continued existence by clicking the button below. THANKS!

donate button

By David Futrelle

Angry gamers are somehow still up in arms about the body of the character Abby in The Last of Us 2. You may recall, back in April the angriest gamers — the perpetual Gamergaters — were outraged after a studio leak revealed that the character Abby would be returning in the sequel as a newly-buff fighter with notably jacked arms.

At first the angry gamers assumed that any woman that buff had to be trans, so they accused the game studio, Naughty Dog, of pushing an LGBT+ agenda on innocent gamers. Then, when it turned out that Abby was not trans, the angry gamers got mad at Abby for a whole other reason — declaring that her body was “unrealistic” because where would she be getting enough food to bulk up like that in a postapocalyptic world and did she even lift, bro?

The game has been out for some time now and they’re still mad.

But now the angry gamers think they have found DEFINITIVE PROOF that Abby’s body is too good to be true — in the form of a workout schedule for Abby they discovered somewhere in the games assets that reveals, well, that she doesn’t lift enough to have arms like THAT.

“[A]bby is more muscular Than 90% of the Guys in the gym where i was workout,” complains another gamer on Twitter. “No girl in the gym looks as ugly as Abby.”

Other, er, critics make much of the fact that food is rationed in the dire dystopian world of the game.

“Her food is rationed,” insists one of Abby’s critics. “They SHOW that in game. She’d never be able to get the lean protein required to get that big.”

“Abby … has a muscular physique … in an environment where proper diet is so rare that food is rationed out,” another Abby non-fan grumbles. “You can say you don’t care but you can’t claim that this all about hating women.”

Like hell I can’t.

In case you’re wondering just how jacked this woman is, here’s what she looks like.

This is the body that these guys are declaring so “unrealistic”that it destroys any feelings of immersion in the game — a game that also features, yes, ZOMBIES. You know, creatures that DON’T ACTUALLY EXIST IN REAL LIFE

Come to think of it, has anyone found the zombies’ workout schedule?

More to the point, has anyone even gone looking for the workout schedules for any of the far-more-improbably buff bodies of assorted male video game heroes — say, the top-heavy soldiers in Gears of War, Batman in the Arkham series, Zangief in Street Fighter — or any of the other imaginary video game men on this handy list?

Of course not. It’s almost as if there’s a double standard. It’s almost as if Abby’s critics just can’t stand the thought of a strong women, or something. “It’s such a weird, ultra-specific way to be misogynistic while claiming to appeal to logic,” notes podcaster Jubel Brosseau on Twitter. That it is.

Cats In Shiny Hats
Cats In Shiny Hats

Re: Skimmingway

I can almost (almost) feel bad for him because it hurts when you write something you’re super proud of and have people tell you that the way you presented it is bad. It must feel doubly bad when you’re told that both the presentation and the message are very, very bad. (Which they were/are.)

If you’re reading this, Skimmingway, please remember that Shakespeare said, “brevity is the soul of wit and tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes”. (Hamlet, Act-2, Scene-2). Simpler words used exquisitely inform more than complex ones used with wild abandon.

@Lainy

My gayness goes up so much while around them.

Same.

@Cats in Shiny Hats
I have a hard time feeling sorry for Skimmingway because of his fascist apologism. If he wasn’t racist, misogynistic, homophobic, and fascist I might feel sorry, but in the mean time I just can’t muster it.

Lainy
Lainy

@Naglfar

This one gal has legs like a tree tunk and she’s very nice to me but everytime we talk I’m sitting there thinking
“yes, throw me in the trash, with your legs”

Lainy
Lainy
1 month ago

Lol, I like how Skimmingway thinks that he opinion how a attractive a woman is matters at all. Little creep has some big nerves before he has a tantrum and then takes his ball and goes home. It’s always funny how the trolls think we care even a little bit about how what they think or feel.

StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved

@numerobis

If it goes bad it’s usually a gradual and predictable slide with them for me. They start off seeming cool about it then comments about my appearance (but not in a sincere way but as in you can kind of tell they have other intentions). Then it goes to questions and comments about my art and what I like to do in it. Then it’s questions about my guys. That’s all cool if a person is sincere because there aren’t many people who get me or what I do and are open minded enough to get me (especially men) so if there are ones who are able to and form a friendship that’s awesome. When the questions go to my art and how I dress and my guys and “why him? What do you like about him?” *after they already know the answer because I told them* I know a NiceGuy(TM) entitled complaint is coming.

This guy was ok today and I enjoyed his company. My living arrangements now are in a bigger place than my apartment is I had last year (thank goddess I got this place arranged before Covid). I have a space big enough and open all the way up to the second floor and then some so I have enough room for receiving guests and just socializing with a 2-3 friends and still be up on my pedestal when I want with still enough physical space to do a circus crack and overhand flick with my guests at a physically safe distance.

This guy knows me and knows who I am and what I do, so it’s less him being all surprised and befuddled by what sure obviously isn’t a normal livingroom set up and a regular friend saying yeah come over and hang out and drink coffee and keep me company while I do my stuff. My mentor and one of our sponsors was hanging out with us too and they know it’s normal for me to be camera-ready and dressed just for regular guests and friends coming over to hang out. He made some comments about that and said several times he thought my whip is really cool but they were respectful compliments and I mean that’s nice if sincere and not with NiceGuy(TM) motives, you know?

StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved

@Lainy

Right, I know. I think he had no idea I was super-ironic mocking him by asking him the stuff I asked the way I asked it.

@Stacey

I think he had no idea I was super-ironic mocking him

The far right is really bad at humor and irony. If they could recognize humor they’d be a lot less insecure, as they wouldn’t have to get angry any time someone makes a joke at their expense. When they call leftists “snowflakes” they’re projecting hard.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate
1 month ago

It’s a little concerning that anyone would get so wrapped up in fiction like this. When people like MRAs and such get that way, it’s even more so.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org
1 month ago

Counterpoint: Abby has been obsessed with her father’s killer for years, in a way that’s hard to describe without sounding ableist. That’s plenty of workout inspiration for her to get jacked to the point she is. And if you want to play devil’s advocate maybe she’d become even more muscular if she could, but hit a plateau already and in a post-apocalyptic world doesn’t have the time or calories to overcome it

Paireon
Paireon
1 month ago

@Naglfar: My personal experience is less that right-wingers (especially the far ones) are bad at recognizing humor, it’s more that they’re really bad at processing that they can be the butt of jokes too. Probably because most of their humor is usually mean-spirited and meant to be insulting, so they figure it’s the same for everyone else (to be fair, there are several jokes aimed at the right that are meant to be mean-spirited and insulting, just nowhere near as much as they think). So when it happens to them they tend to either not get it (if they really can’t wrap their head around being laughed at) or piss and moan about it.

And yes, people who constantly gripe about “MUH PERSONAL RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES” calling other people snowflakes must break quite a few irony meters each time.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness
1 month ago

Right-wingers are bad at humor because their brand of humor punches down, and relies heavily on stereotypes and racism and sexism and other -isms. They think offending people is the highest form of comedy, and the more offensive the funnier it is. Anyone who isn’t a racist misogynist shitbag isn’t going to find that kind of nonsense amusing.

Paireon
Paireon
1 month ago

@Katherine the Adequate – Protip: Never get involved in any Japanese media-based fandom. Ever. I’ve been peripherally involved (i.e. mostly lurking and sometimes posting on forums and Reddit) in many for the past quarter-century, and I’ve seen some shit.

@Paireon, PoM
That is all true, but I think they’re also just bad at humor in general. Why else do they repeat the same two jokes over and over again? Or, why else do they suck at making memes? Attack helicopter jokes and frog memes aren’t funny, especially once you’ve seen them a million times. I don’t even find attack helicopter jokes offensive, they’re just boring. Could they maybe make an original joke once in a while?

Cats In Shiny Hats
Cats In Shiny Hats

@Naglfar

I did say almost. Please don’t get me wrong:
Everything he says is awful. It’s also worded badly, but even if worded well it’s evil. I agree with nothing he says.

Robert
Robert
1 month ago

This reminded me of a thoughtful article I saw recently about why Grey Worm (GoT) being as lean and muscular as he was was implausible, given the known physiological effects of castration.

That this was set in a fantasy world with fire-breathing dragons and White Walkers didn’t seem to register with the earnest writer.

Paireon
Paireon
1 month ago

@Naglfar – True enough; as for creating original material, well, it’s probably really counter-intuitive for people whose entire worldview centers around “status quo/turning back the clock = good, change/progress = ALL THE SATANS”.

Even the NPC meme is basically just a 21st century videogame-“savvy” (in that you have to know really basic videogame knowledge to get it) update on the classic dehumanization propaganda of late 19th-early 20th century regimes.

@Cats in Shiny Hats

I did say almost. Please don’t get me wrong:

I know, I’m not trying to imply you are any of those things. Apologies if I sounded like I was accusing you, I’m merely explaining my own reasons for not sympathizing with him, I’m not trying to accuse you at all.

@Paireon

Worse, none of the positive things of the past get brought back, only the negatives. We don’t get any stegosauruses or hoop skirts, instead we just get rollbacks of minority rights and global warming.

The thing that gets me about the NPC meme is how much projection it is. The left is extremely diverse ideologically encompassing many different strains, and on some level conservatives recognize this as they make fun of microlabels all the time. The idea that all leftists are the same is patently ridiculous, anyone who’s ever been in a left wing space (like this one) knows how much leftists argue amongst ourselves. OTOH, the right is not diverse at all ideologically. Although they may disagree on minor points, the whole party basically just goes along with what populist leaders say. One would be hard-pressed to find, for instance, a well-known vocal pro-choice or pro-gun control conservative, while there are many of the inverse (i.e. anti-choice or anti-gun control leftists). There is little room for disagreement in conservative ideologies, so they are far more like NPCs.

Indeed, when they were originally promoting the meme they created a bunch of fake accounts to pretend to be “leftist NPCs.” But presumably if leftists actually acted like NPCs, they wouldn’t have to do that to prove their point. It’s a hard self own.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness
1 month ago

Their disagreements may be on minor points, but the right will definitely fight over those points. The big one currently is how fascist should they be. The more right-wing, the more fascist, and they do impose purity tests on one another, with the more fascist ones having the bragging rights and tearing down the less-fascist (but still fascist) factions.

Don’t be fooled by how disciplined McConnell makes the GOP look. Without him or someone like him, the right would eat itself.

@PoM

I’m not sure how much their debate is over how fascist to be rather than how openly fascist to look. They generally seem to care far more about optics, as if they know their ideas are reprehensible to everyone else.

Even then, the point stands that unlike the many factions of the left that commonly disagree, it’s rare to see warring factions of conservatives in America. The right seems to be far more reluctant to criticize people in power. Plenty of leftists have criticized Democratic presidents, yet few conservatives are willing to criticize Trump.

There’s also the issue that the Democratic Party is really on the right compared to most places, yet conservatives seem to think that the left = Democrats, so there’s also a terminology issue.

salguod
salguod
1 month ago

I’ve never posted before. I really like reading the comments though. All the regular commenters here could out-write that guy so I hope no one took his insults seriously. Stay healthy. He also reminded me of an unfunny version of onyx the fortuitous

@salguod
Welcome!

Crip Dyke
1 month ago

Abby, honing her predatory instincts in a past life:
comment image?w=800&h=320

Food is apparently a bit scarce in that world as well.

epitome of incomprehensibility

In my experience, conservatives can have wildly different/opposing views, but there might be more of an emphasis on (perceived) unity in conservatism itself…although that’s speculation on my part.

@Naglfar – And no stegosauruses in hoop skirts, alas. That would be fun (though maybe not for the stegosauruses) 🙂

@Crip Dyke – Kitty is so cuuuuuute 🙂

@salguod – Welcome!

Salguod
Salguod

Whoa, super welcomed.

To the point of the post I’ve seen the entire game and the reactions have been largely terrible. In my opinion:

1. from a narrative standpoint Joel was always going to be killed because of his actions in the previous game. There was no where to take the character. Even when he behaves like a father figure it’s before being truthful to Ellie and arguably grooming her emotions to prevent her from leaving him later. This narrative that he’s a heroic father is very flawed.

2. Abby lives on a large settlement with visible food at many points in the game and is expected to undertake labor in the settlement as well as outside fighting zombos

3. In a world of zombies controlled by fungus that destroyed civilization and also can be easily dispatched by being sneaky and having a brick; a muscular woman is the most unbelievable thing.

Sorry for poor grammar

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@all of you

I’m serious; you all need to get over yourselves.

The projection here would impress Edison!

dumb donald thinks he’s a “wordsmith,” too

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
1 month ago

Skimmingweight has words… beautiful words. They has the BEST words. And many words, the most words.

Content, not so much, or if they has content, it has yet to be revealed

occasional reader
occasional reader

> Catalpa

Apparently men and horses become chunkier due to increased gravity, but women remain with the exact same conventionally attractive body type. Funny how that works.

It is well known that increased gravity just give the women boobs of steel.
Sarcasm aside, i do not know the GoW license enough to judge (the tactical is a prequel but assume the player know the universe, which is not my case). Basically, I am not a fan of TPS/FPS, and this license give me a huge impression to be a no-brainer one, but maybe there are more than meet the eyes and someone can give a better appreciation of it.

Battering Lamb
Battering Lamb
1 month ago

They may have different opinions but they are way more willing to let those be for the pragmatic benefit of opposing ‘the left’.

It’s a move Karl Schmitt (interesting political theorist, also a member of the nazi party. It’s almost as if universities aren’t just left wing propaganda machines as that is where I learned about him) has described often. The best way to unite a group, according to him, is by creating a common image of an enemy.

Not sure about ‘best’, but it is definitely effective. Should the right succeed in ousting the political left they’d soon turn to finding ‘leftists’ in their own ranks. See also that cuckservative meme that popped up a while back.

Valentin
Valentin
1 month ago

Just like liberals, conservatives dont believe what they say they believe. Most of their veiws if you look closely, contradict. They say they want less government but the things they want to enforce (ban gay marriage, ban abortion, ban contraception, tax breaks for wealthy and big corporations) this all needs *more* government not less. They always desire control and narrow paths for life, which cant exist without a government or authority to enforce. They want personal freedom (to say horrible things, tell women what to do, stop LGBTQIA people from existing), but they want only personal freedom for people exacly like them (individualist, white, able, cis, het, middle class, christian/cultural christian etc). So they dont want freedom, they want supremacy.

Liberals dont believe the same things as conservatives, they just talk a lot about radical ideas but in the end if you ask them enough questions, it always become clear they want to preserve the status quo, or go back to recent times that was still okay for them, centre believing white, cis het etc people.

I think this is why liberals and conservatives struggle to understand that leftist/communist/socialist/anarchist/progressives actually believe the things that we say. Liberals and conservatives exist becuase of the ideology of individualism, which never brings any big benefit or change. Only preserves status quo or continues until fascism.

Lizzie
Lizzie
1 month ago

Naglfar, hoop skirts with a three metre diameter would be good for social distancing right now, as would a pet stegosaurus. I vote that we bring them back.

@Lizzie
Hoop skirts would be good for social distance, yes, but I’m not so sure about stegosauruses. If my dog is any indication, people love to meet and play with pets and a stegosaurus would be no exception. Everyone would want to pet the stegosaurus and wouldn’t stay 6 feet away.

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

@Naglfar, @Policy of Madness:

The implosion of Conservapedia, years ago, convinced me that the Right is as prone to in-fighting as the Left, we’re just more likely to be around to see it in the latter.

@Crip Dyke:
I have one of those games loaded for our cats; that said I once left them unattended with it and they managed to start up iTunes.

Cats In Shiny Hats
Cats In Shiny Hats

@Naglfar

Thank you. I just didn’t want anyone to misunderstand. I respect you all too much to want that.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
1 month ago

Hopefully not, if the stegosaurus likes to wag its tail a lot.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 month ago

Also, a stegosaurus is more than 6 feet long IIRC, so you can go to the unpetted end of your stego.

@Moon Custafer
Well that’s a blast from the past, I hadn’t thought about them in a while. I wonder if Schafly still thinks imaginary numbers don’t exist.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Alan Robertshaw, Naglfar:
Toronto has several dozen ‘Little Free Library’ booths sitting around for sharing books; I’ve walked by a few of them down in the Annex. Can’t find good pictures of the local ones, but here’s the general site:
After a search to find that, apparently there was a bylaw complaint lodged against one of these three years ago; the ensuing backlash caused the city to back down on it.
There is some pushback from local librarians who don’t have trouble with the concept so much as the non-profit handling the branding.

TacticalProgressive
TacticalProgressive

@skimmingway

I don’t need to waste my time educating the uneducable.

So asserts the jabroni engaging in projection, pseudologic and nonsense waffling that would earn them a fail in English Class.

Also, you never addressed the counterargument I made into your waffles about the building of fortress and the need of intellectuals to help build that fort and keep in maintained and supplied logistically because there’s more to building forts than a bunch of thoughtless, uncritical beefcakes stacking sandbags and bricks along the edge of a dugout. I suspect however, this is likely a feature; not a bug on your part.

Though if your threatening to bounce instead of actually listening to actual logical people who are deconstructing your self aggrandizing delusions because the facts don’t care about your feelings that makes you more irate than a ruffled grouse: than you should know better than to threaten us with a good time.

Bacony
Bacony
1 month ago

I know lots of women who look like that. Pretty much every stay-at-home mother who doesn’t have a paid nanny ends up with arms like this because children are heavy, and you’ll be lifting them six hours a day…

Schnookums Von Fancypants, Assailed by Gynocratic Powers
Schnookums Von Fancypants, Assailed by Gynocratic Powers
1 month ago

I wonder if the same people desperately complaining about “unrealistic” body types said anything about the Sorceress from Dragon’s Crown? (image linking always fails for me but you can easily google examples). She has enormous breasts even by the standards of video game women. And the game designers tried to justify their design choice by saying they wanted to make her look “distinctive”. I’ll bet they never considered having her stand out by, say, making her black. Oh no, gotta be the hugenormous breasts. (Not saying that such women don’t exist, but they reason for including that design has nothing to do with representation and everything to do with, no pun intended, titillation.)

@Schnookums
Just looked up an image. I don’t even think they believe their own justification simply because in the world of gaming, having huge breasts is the opposite of distinctive. It’s like trying to make a house stand out by painting it the exact same color as the neighbors.

Plus, her breasts are quite unrealistic anyway. Sure, there are women IRL with large busts, but probably not many naturally have breasts that are both that big and don’t sag at all.

Bookworm in hijab
Bookworm in hijab
1 month ago

I’m not a video-game player, but from the photo of this character, her arms look very realistic to me. Those are the arms of a labourer, absolutely. I’ve got a long way to go, but after a few months of lockdown where I could do some heavy-duty gardening work (trying to build a drystone wall and outdoor oven), I’m noticing a real change in my own arms — and I’m NOT in any way a bodybuilder. But as we all know, the point of these critiques isn’t the perceived unreality of the characters; it’s the need to police women’s bodies and choices.

Does anyone know if the women in these games ate ever shown with visible body hair, like underarm hair? I just feel like if I were fighting off zombies, shaving would be the first thing I’d drop.

Nequam
Nequam
1 month ago

I think body hair in general– both for men and woman– is downplayed because it’s annoying to animate.

Ariblester

Nequam wrote on
August 12, 2020 at 5:13 pm:

I don’t think that that is as big a problem as you’d imagine, considering that fur textures and dynamics simulations (for animals, etc.) already exist and can be adjusted for humans. It’s ultimately down to cultural standards on body hair.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@Nequam, @Ariblester

Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s more an aesthetic/body policing thing than a rendering limitation. No reason hairy knuckles can’t be stenciled onto a character skin as part of the bitmaps, or whatever the terminology is. (IDK I know nothing at all about 3D modeling or game engine programming.) Also it’s not like we haven’t had furry games since forever. Starfox,

Re the OP, and the entire thing where men hate physically strong women. Honestly every time I see this garbage, I remember all the times I’ve been gently held by women who could squeeze me into putty if they wanted, and think: “These guys don’t know what they’re missing.”

vaiyt
vaiyt
30 days ago

Culture Warriors are angry at the idea of non-conforming women existing and being valid. All this nitpicking over exercise schedules and protein is just an attempt to dress it up in fandom and pass their body policing as art criticism. See: She-Ra.