Uncategorized

Now is the time for A Voice for Men to ask: “Are we the baddies?”

It’s PLEDGE DRIVE time again! If you’re a fan of this blog, please help fund its continued existence by clicking the button below. THANKS!

donate button

By David Futrelle

In 2010, men’s rights lawyer Roy Dean Hollander wrote an inflammatory piece for the men’s rights hate site A Voice for Men declaring that men might be forced to take up arms to defeat what he saw as the tyranny of feminism.

Several weeks ago, Den Hollander took his own advice, gunning down the son and husband of a female judge he had tangled with in the past; the son died of his wounds. Several days earlier he killed rival men’s rights attorney Marc Angelucci.

If you thought Den Hollander’s murders would have occasioned some soul searching on the part of the folks at AVFM, you would be dead wrong. Site foinder Paul Elam and others associated with the site offered no apoligies for publishing Den Hollander’s screed (or for a later post by Elam effusively praising him as a “real man”); instead they insisted to anyone who would listen that Den Hollander wasn’t a real men’s rights activist at all and had nothing to do with them.

On Tuesday, AVFM published a post by Gary Costanza referring to Den Hollander’s murder of Angelucci which somehow managed to avoid mentioning both his name and his previous connection to the site, referring to him only as a “demented person.”

Down the memory hole he goes.

Den Hollander – who killed himself shortly after his assault on the judge’s family – was not the only “demented person” in AVFM’s past.

You may be familiar with the name Chris Cantwell – he’s perhaps better known as “the Crying Nazi,” infamous for a teary video he put out after hearing that there was a warrant out for his arrest for several counts of assault at the notorious Unite the Right rally in 2017. Before going full Nazi, you see, Cantwell wrote a number of pieces for AVFM on such topics as IQ, the evils of gun control, and feminists “who demonize men and white people.” When, at the time he was writing for AVFM, I criticized his online harassment of some of his many enemies, Elam wrote a post defending Cantwell and advising me to kill myself.

Cantwell, not only a political activist but quite the gun enthusiast, has been a busy boy in the last several years; his rap sheet is too long and complicated to easily summarize here, but he’s served time for assault and currently sits in jail awaiting trial on charges of threats and extortion against a fellow neo-Nazi. Given his love of guns and his utter lack of impulse control, I think it’s kind of a miracle he hasn’t shot anyone yet.

Over the years, Elam has befriended and published several other men’s rights activists who frankly seem as unhinged as Den Hollander and Cantwell; thankfully none of them have acted out in the same way.

In Constanza’s post today, he urges fellow MRAs to “redouble our efforts” in the wake of Angelucci’s murder.

I would suggest that fans of the site do some serious self-reflection first. Is there a reason their side – and their site — attracts so many “demented” individuals? Perhaps this is not simply bad luck? Perhaps it’s because, to paraphrase a famous comedy routine by Mitchell and Webb, they are the baddies?

H/T — to Twitter’s @TakedownMRAs, who inspired this post.

Robert Baden
Robert Baden

Nagflar,
As a Mexican American I’m more likely to look at whether someone is an Anglo or not before I look at whether they are cis-het or not.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Guys, I’ve internalized incels.

I saw “Rosie the Riveter” and I at first read it as “Roastie the Riveter.”

Sigh.

Mrs. Obed Marsh
Mrs. Obed Marsh
1 month ago

Aw man, did I miss the return of skimmingway? Damn!

1 month ago

If we’re coming up with questions for Skimmingway, I have a few others:
1. Do you think that there is a “LGBT Agenda”? If so, what do you think it is?
2. Do you think Barack Obama was born in Kenya?
3. What do you think of lobsters?
4. Do you think 9/11 was an inside job?

StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved

@AVN

I hope to stick around and learn more about how to fight misogyny, respect women, and how to be a feminist. (I am a little confused about feminism’s actual views about certain aspects. With me being on the opposite side all my life, the reader can understand why.)

You could read an introduction to get started 🙂

I like the introduction from the Geek Feminism website:

It’s easy to read an interesting and I think you will like it as a way to learn. 🙂

Some of my guys really like it and it’s one I still read because they sometimes quote writers and thinkers I learned about in school.

I hope that helps!

Snowberry
Snowberry
1 month ago

Too many things to respond to, so I’ll just go with the one which mentions me directly:
@Reaktor:

I feel like there shouldn’t be any controversy because Snowberry’s analysis up there sounds like overly pessimistic and baseless speculation.

Two blocks away from my apartment, there is a street with several businesses on it, some of which I would go to occasionally. Or rather, had businesses before the coronavirus, but all but one of them is still closed even though my state reopened. Some of them it’s pretty clear that they’re never coming back – the tattoo parlor and the Mexican restaurant have signs up saying as much, and some of the others are just completely empty. The one business still running? A micro-distillery. I haven’t been all over the rest of the town due to, you know, the until-recent lockdown, but so far it seems that what’s still around (not counting government-run things like libraries and post offices) are mainly grocery stores, fast-food places, hardware stores, and about half of the clothing stores. And, okay, there are a few seemingly random things like the stationary store and the sex toy shop are doing okay (and I do have a pretty good idea as to why the latter, ditto to the distillery), but everything else, nope.

That’s not going to get replaced quickly even under normal conditions, and these aren’t normal conditions. On top of that, there is serious discussion going on about replacing the former zinc processing plant with an Amazon distribution warehouse (though that wouldn’t be for at least a few years) which would help a lot in the short term provided that Amazon hasn’t figured out how to make themselves mostly automated by then (probably won’t, but they’re working on that, it’s not like that should be news to anyone here, but apparently it is). In the long run, I’m not sure that contributing to the rise of real-world equivalents of Omni Consumer Products to be a good idea. (Yes, I am aware that OCP is, to some extent, a dystopian parody, or at least it was in the 1980s version of Robocop, as I haven’t seen the remake. That doesn’t mean that its present-day real-world equivalents would necessarily be a good idea.)

While it’s mostly anecdotes and hearsay, I’ve heard of similar problems in other towns, including some in different states. But maybe big cities won’t be affected as much? That doesn’t mean that they’re not affected at all, and it might betray a sort of big city-privilege (or even small-city chauvinism) if there’s a widespread attitude that things can recover quickly in most places and the places where it can’t do so don’t matter.

Also, the “empty luxury condo” phenomenon isn’t really a small-city thing, it’s mostly happening in and around larger cities, though not every large city is experiencing it yet. It may not even really be a thing in Non-Russian Europe and some other places, since everything I hear about is in the United States, Russia, China, and the United Arab Emirates. It’s also the sort of thing which tends not to feel like it matters unless you’re one of the very small number people who it has affected directly – but it exists mostly due to the increasing concentration of wealth, and it can be used as a tool to help dodge financial accountability – so if nothing else, it’s both a symptom of economic structural problems and an unnecessary waste of land.

StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved

@AVN

And I apologize for the things I posted at that time, that disrespected women and might have hurt women’s feelings.

Words matter. But they matter because they create a culture where it’s seen ok to hurt way way more than our feelings. I’m not saying feelings aren’t important and I think respect is critical (and anyone who knows me from even my posts here knows I don’t just value it but demand it, as is my right.) But A Voice for Men and people like that and incels don’t just say things that hurt our feelings but create and build a culture where women’s lives are in danger pretty much just for existing. I get bothered and harassed by creepy guys pretty much just for existing and I never know when one of them is seconds away from wanting to try to hurt me. He wouldn’t succeed but hundreds of millions of women in our country live with that threat every day. Go listen to AOC’s speech in Congress recently because she is brilliant about explaining how words against us just aren’t mean words but part of a way of life that endangers *women’s* lives automatically just for existing.

If you are sincere then please please understand this: a man who has feminist ideas especially if he is a cishet man can do a lot more good talking about his feminist beliefs *to other cishet men* than by talking to women. When it comes to women a cishet man can just *listen* and *hear*. If you read more about various feminist ideas you will probably see that.

I hope you read and think! I think you will find the Feminism 101 page helpful. 🙂

@Avn
I didn’t see your comment before, it must have just come through. Welcome, I’m glad to hear you have changed and that you’d like to learn about feminism. Stacey has already given you a good starting place, and I’m sure that some others will bring some other resources. There are also some sites linked in the sidebar of this blog that may help. If you have any (good faith) questions about feminism or intersectionality, I and other commenters are happy to answer.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@Avn

Feminism is not a monolith, but feminists generally don’t keep their views a secret? If you want answers, you just have to go look for them. At a last resort, if all else fails, ask? IDK why there’s any reason for you to be confused about any aspect of feminism, as resources are there for you if you really want to know.

An Impish Pepper
An Impish Pepper
1 month ago

In a way I think I can understand the “weird amalgam of entitlement and learned helplessness” even though I agree with the criticisms. I apparently come from a rich background on at least one side of my family. This has led to some privileges like getting diagnosed early and having at least initially an environment that supported my learning. But ultimately it also meant hard-headed Protestant work ethic attitudes and seeing me as a “gifted child” and I know a lot of other people can guess how all that ended up once that illusion fell apart. I built up a certain view of how the world works from all that, and the years since have been an endless cycle of discovering how much the world does not work that way. Surely the ones who run society at least care enough to ensure that everybody can do X? Turns out, no, they don’t give a shit at all. The hole of apathy just keeps on going.

The thing is, it’s even worse for other people who are never even subjected to the illusion in the first place; that’s how little society cares about them. That doesn’t mean my own problems are trivial. It’s just a lot of times I look at my situation and think I’m nearly totally screwed and all the choices are bad. But then I realize that other people are also nearly totally screwed, often to a similar level, often even in similar ways, and all the choices are still bad but they make the best of it because they’re just trying to survive. (And then they’re criticized by society for engaging in risky behaviour.)

Reaktor
Reaktor
1 month ago

Thanks for your reply, Snowberry. I apologize for being rude. I live in a small city in South America and my situation here is different. Currently most stores are open, though with limits to how many people can enter at a time, how long they can stay open and, of course, masks are required. Thankfully our anti-mask movement is relatively small and it’s rare for places to defy or refuse to enforce the orders like some in the USA do. Public places like schools and cinemas will stay closed for a while, though.

Kevin
Kevin

@ Snowberry

Here in the UK (still non-Russian Europe, at least the Covid-19 seems to be keeping the ‘Novichok tourists’ away) the empty luxury apartments are a thing. It’s so noticeable it has a name, ‘buy to leave.’

On a lighter note automated commercial delivery systems might need a lot more work before they ever become viable:

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer
1 month ago

Hello, all. Been on vacation for the last week, didn’t get anywhere near as much done as I wanted, but just to catch up on this thread (let’s see if this all actually gets posted):

@skimmingway:

I believe that, in any other century than our own, I would likely have been published by now.

Yeah, and I have been published. Two short stories, working on cleaning up a novel currently. And that isn’t even my day job.

Indeed, given that it’s a cyberpunk novel, the people wanting to tear down capitalism and break the current system are actually the protagonists.

@Pavlovs House

So, skimminway, dude#just curious#what are your predictions then for leftists who have (and produce) “professorial reading material” *about* fortifications?

Yeah, speaking as someone with a Master’s degree in Engineering, and who also knows several SCAdians with similar qualifications… it’s like, no? We have an entire field of study based on how to efficiently construct fortifications, and a lot of history in studying how that knowledge was obtained.

(I seem to recall a few years ago we finally figured out the ‘trick’ to some of the Roman concrete that was still around: they’d managed to find a version of concrete that continued to ‘cure’ while in salt water. It’s actually less useful than most modern concrete unless you’re trying to build pilings to support an oceanic pier, but from a historical standpoint it was still interesting to figure out what they were doing two thousand years ago.)

@Naglfar:

probably a sovereign citizen too.

Wouldn’t surprise me, sovereign citizens (or ‘freemen on the land’ to use the more British term) are kind of the peak of the ‘I’m smarter than all of you sheeple’ kind of thinking.

@Snowberry:

The thing about historical monarchies is that an awful lot of rulers knowingly or unknowingly surrounded themselves with yes-men who would assure them that the people loved them.

I recall hearing once that Marie-Antoinette was so convinced of the wonders of ‘the bucolic life of the peasant’ that when she went on a carriage tour, royal servants would run ahead of the tour to clean up people along the way. She wasn’t mean, she was just a sheltered, privileged brat who had absolutely no concept of what it ever meant to actually be in want of something.

Not to mention that, really, one of the biggest flaws in monarchy is the fact that even if any given king may have actually had the best in mind for his people, there’s no way to guarantee that his descendants will. See also, what happened to Rome after the Republic became the Empire, and many Emporers descended into debauchery.

Democracy has its flaws, yes, but one thing it has over Monarchy is that it limits the amount of time any one person has to screw things up.

@Redsilkphoenix:
Well, Canada is technically a constitutional monarchy. As Snowberry says, oftenthat means that the monarch has mostly emergency powers and powers to ensure the continuance of government during other turnovers (unlike the U.S. where every election happens at once and you have this stupidly long period where the people in charge may know they won’t be soon). Most of the actual running of things is done at the democratically-elected level. And really, most of the day-to-day stuff is done at the bureaucratic level.

@Big Titty Demon, Naglfar:
For me, the biggest advantage to IDEs over straight text editors like VIM (which I use a lot) is the ability to go ‘find me all references to this function in the project, no matter what file they’re in’, especially with large projects. Now, that said, there are ways to do that with Vim (ctags is the classic way) but it requires a lot more setup and maintenance.

And yeah, I like Python myself, but as far as I’m concerned Python is best for ‘I need to hack together a wrapper for these libraries that does this specific task that I may or may not never need again’. It’s great for building test tools to use on other things because you can tweak it easily… it would not be my first choice for serious numerical analysis.

Then again, I used to work with people who still did their serious numerical analysis in Fortran, because that’s what all their specialized libraries were written in.

@Ohlmann, Catalpa:
Yes, I remember people talking about the $1000/month rents in Toronto making life difficult for students at the University of Toronto (which is pretty much downtown)… over twenty years ago. Just looking up ‘average rent in Toronto’ gives me things like this:

Padmapper’s rent report for June 2020 puts the average one-bedroom unit in Toronto at only $2,180 per month, based on currently listings for apartments and condos in Canada’s largest city.

The “only” in that sentence may sound nuts to those unfamiliar with Toronto rents, but $2,180 is far cheaper than the high of $2,500 reported in October of 2019.

@Naglfar:
Yeah, I remember hearing about Shatner defending Autism Speaks. I first heard about it on Respectful Insolence, where Orac was commenting on finding himself in an argument with Shatner via Twitter.

skimmingway
skimmingway

@Mrs Obed Marsh

“Aw man, did I miss the return of skimmingway? Damn!

I’ll leave him a question in case he comes back: What are your thoughts on Jesus Christ?”

My feelings about Jesus Christ are a little too complex and conflicted to express here; we are not always in full agreement, though sometimes I find myself truly believing that he is, in fact, the son of God – so much of what I see today appears to have been foretold in the Book of Revelations and other important biblical documents, almost to the point that it can’t be simple coincidence.

Joseph de Maistre claimed that, wherever one found an altar, they would also find civilization. I am much in agreement with this, no matter my individual feelings regarding Jesus Christ; the church has been, and, quite possibly, might continue to be a useful institution for the proper cultural instruction of the masses. Should a king exist, I should hope that he would possess proper religious instruction, and I can think of no greater institution than the Catholic church to provide him with such. Even if the king does not believe in any of the church’s doctrines himself, it is important that he possess proper knowledge of them, and give nobody reason to suspect that he is an infidel.

@Naglfart

“If we’re coming up with questions for Skimmingway, I have a few others:
1. Do you think that there is a “LGBT Agenda”? If so, what do you think it is?
2. Do you think Barack Obama was born in Kenya?
3. What do you think of lobsters?
4. Do you think 9/11 was an inside job?”

1. Almost certainly. To turn woman against man, and man against family, etc etc. Though at heart, I would claim to be an individualist of sorts, and I would go so far as to say that family bonds are almost too primitive to be celebrated by any civilized society, I understand fully that, the nuclear family is of great importance to the continued cultural excellence of the West, and the decay of this institution will, no doubt, lead to further decadence in our other institutions, whether it be art, education, politics, or so forth. True, to an extent, these latter institutions have been martialed in order to act as termites towards the former, such that the decay of the former only strengthens the powers of the latter, etc., but I believe that the homosexualist agenda does play an important role in all of this. It promotes a dangerous form of unhealthy individualism, and individualism of the wrong sort, even; John Maynard Keynes was a homosexual, and he promoted profligate policies of virtually limitless government spending, unbacked by any kind of stable commodity such as gold, mind you, and it is my contention that such unstable and unsustainable fiscal deracination will have the effect of encouraging the further expansion and encroachment of statist nannying into our lives before ultimately bankrupting our governments. No doubt, this was all because he sired no children, causing him to lack the proper time preferences necessary to act as an intellectual and political steward to future generations (“…in the long run, we are all dead.”)

2. It would not surprise me to learn that he was, but ultimately, this is useless speculation which misses the mark – people as far left as him should never have been able to become president in the first place! THAT is what is truly worrying; I would A THOUSAND times prefer someone who is less radical, less likely to bend to progressive pressures, and born in some other country (Eastern Europe, perhaps?) than have a born-American who holds and enacts such dangerous policies as Barrack Obama.

3. They are quite tasty, but what little you get of them is not justified by the price. I was told that, at one time, such a food item was considered a poor man’s cuisine; had I been born at such a time, I would no doubt have the capacity to eat them to my heart’s content. Though I am being partly facetious in saying so, this is yet another sign of the world’s decline.

4. It would not surprise me to learn that it was. I am presently unable to give full expression to my most accurate cogitations regarding the issue, however, due in no small part to the overly-stringent policies on this website. No doubt, after having branded me a “racist,” as well as a “fascist,” a “Nazi,” and other such unsavory things, you are looking to cover up that final spot labelled “antisemite” on your bingo card; I will deprive you of the pleasure of doing so, by admitting that I really can’t say for certain whether such people as “the Zionists” were really responsible for it in any way. So don’t go lighting THAT fire and dancing around it.

1 month ago

@Snowberry : it’s completely a thing in Paris, Milan, and probably any pretty european city. Not a thing AFAIK in actually small french cities. (I specifically refer to Besançon and Dole for thoses who ask “how small”)

The disapperance of small shop because of the corona isn’t a thing in France as far as I can see. (I live in the suburbs, where thoses shops are already not that common and they don’t seem to particulary die out more than before). Small shop dying out is however an enduring concern in pretty much all french cities, little by little.

Part of what die are shops that add relatively little value. For example, book shops and video game shops, I still dutifully support, but I don’t need their advice for choosing my book/game because of the internet, so they add little compared to buying directly to the editor.

For some other, it’s quite litteraly Amazon and the like trying to undercut them. Which is why in France, and probably in all of Europe, selling at a loss is forbidden

@Jenora : that being said, if there is decent internet only in the 1300$+ area then you have massive infrastructure problem. I can see having fiber only in Toronto and similar city, but ADSL don’t require *that* much of investment to bring it to mid to small cities no ?

I also continue to think there is something fishy if Toronto have litteraly twice the rent of Paris for students. Maybe Canadians are massively better paid than french, or there is something that skew the comparison massively. I mean, a recurring problem in Paris is how low wage jobs cannot inhabit anywhere near Paris, because paying half your pay for rent isn’t survivable. Are every convenience store manned by robots or what ?

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

ALERT ALERT THE TROLL IS BACK ALERT ALERT

@Ohlmann:

ADSL only typically goes up to a couple of megabits per second, nowhere near enough to stream video decently. Audio, perhaps.

@skummingway:

You are aware that, according to every word about him in the Gospels, Christ was a flaming socialist sandal-wearing longhair hippie whose major acts included doling out universal healthcare, attacking bankers, and promoting greater welfare for the poor and downtrodden, right? If he’d returned smack in the middle of the 60s, attended Woodstock, gave a bunch of political commentary, and departed again, nobody would have batted an eye as he’d have blended right in. The closest major American political figure in outlook now is Bernie Sanders; and the closest major American political figure to the Antichrist is Donald Trump. Heck, he even fiddled while the country whose safekeeping he was charged with burned:

As for the “gay agenda”, it is actually quite straightforward: cause LGBTQIPA+ individuals to be treated “just like everybody else” instead of stigmatized, and everyone to have the freedom to be who they wish to be in regard to sexuality and gender. Oooh, how sinister!

skimmingway
skimmingway

@Surplus of Stupidity, Vast Observer of Its Own Navel

Do not trouble me; I’m looking to do battle with whales, not goldfish.

Valentin
Valentin
1 month ago

Skimmingway, you know if you just make insults it shows that really you dont have any argument or understanding? All you do is show everyone that you dont know. You couldn’t even battle krill.

1 month ago

@valentin : he could fight his shadow and lose. The plank length was created in a failed attempt of finding what measure of opponent skimmingway could be well matched against.

On other news, @david, I would support the ban of Skimmingway. In particular, I start seeing too mean an insult to people that don’t merit it.

@ skimmingway

the Book of Revelations

It’s “Book of Revelation”; singular!

Sorry, but that’s one of my bugbears, like when people say Thomas a Becket or Forensic Evidence.

skimmingway
skimmingway

@Ohlmann

“I start seeing too mean an insult to people that don’t merit it.”

You probably also see visions of Twinkies copulating with Swiss-Rolls, but just seeing something doesn’t make it so.

@Valentin

And you couldn’t even battle windmills.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

But Alan, he sounds so good with the à 🙁

(idle curiosity: did the à just get added arbitrarily, at some time post mortem, or was there a reason for it do you know?)

Valentin
Valentin
1 month ago

I am beginning to suspect skimmingway is a child/teenager

@ jenora

Yeah; now we just need that volcano to crack off again and we can all grab a shovel.

‘freemen on the land’ to use the more British term

Ah yes; you do still encounter them occasionally. The movement seems to have died down a bit though, now that people have realised using the arguments is the best way to convert a traffic fine into a prison sentence.

The Lord Chancellor’s Department* has issued guidance to judges and magistrates based on this rather brilliant analysis.

(*We’re supposed to call it the ministry of justice now; but that sounds a bit Orwellian)

1 month ago

Does someone know what either a twinkie or swiss roll are ? I suspect Skim’ forget not everyone is american. Not sure if he get that other people aren’t him at all TBH.

@Valentin : in mind, probably. That being said, 30+ years old who have all the maturity and wits of a fifteen year old who just learned that fuck is a word are sadly common. In particular, in videogames the archetype of the rude teenager is often actually an adult.

@ opposable thumbs

Nobody seems sure. There is a theory people got the name confused with, or copied, that of Thomas à Kempis.

But as John Stripe wrote in The Memorials of Thomas Cranmer

“It is a small error, but being so oft repeated deserveth to be observed and corrected. The name of that archbishop was Thomas Becket; nor can it otherwise have found to be written in any authentic history, record, calendar, or other book. If the vulgar did formerly, as it doth now, call him ‘Thomas à Becket’ their mistake is not to be followed by learned men.”

I can really imagine the tone of voice when he said that to people at parties.

skimmingway
skimmingway

@Ohlmann

“In videogames the archetype of the rude teenager is often actually an adult.”

In video games, androgynous teenagers defeat evil gods through the power of friendship, and Italian plumbers ride dinosaurs. Maybe don’t use video games as your point of reference for something that exists in reality?

Valentin
Valentin
1 month ago

Video games also exist in reality and influence the way people think. There is very toxic mysoginy in online video games, even old ones like l4d2, the community there is often racist, homophobic, mysoginy, anti-Black and transphobic. There are many toxic places in video game community. These influence people in real life and changes their behaviour. First it is ironic, then they really believe it. Good online communities have moderators and rules to stop this but some do not. There is a lot of toxic masculinity in video games. I plan online l4d2, CSGO and things like this. I like FPS but the communities there are garbage.

It is also very easy to recognise the memes from these communities. They are not as smart as they think they are. I can tell becuase I know.

The way you ‘argue’ just shows again and again your ignorance.

1 month ago

@skimmingway : you *do* understand I talk about player you know ? The real part of the videogame, the guy and gals playing them. In them, in case you don’t know, a lot are rude and stupid, and when you get to actually find them in real life, they are adults. That often flount how well they do in life and try to make sure every one know how intelligent they are.

A famous lawsuit in France opposed a bunch of angry gamers, who were posting in a forum called 18-25, allegedly for 18y to 25y people. The younger was well over 30.

On one hand, you would need to be exceptionally a tool to not understand that I talk about real humans. On the other hand, well. It’s you. Not sure you can understand how to make lukewarm water.

skimmingway
skimmingway

@Ohlmann @Valentin

This is a fucking waste of my time. I don’t even know why I bothered coming back here; idiots.

Valentin
Valentin
1 month ago

When he is shown real arguments and evidence, Skimmingway runs away. 😝

1 month ago

Well, of course. He wasn’t taught that he could be wrong, so his belief system collapse as soon as people show him that he is wrong.

I do believe his life is suffering and that he need help. Not me that will give him that however.

@Skimmingway

people as far left as him

Do you seriously think Obama is far left or are you joking?

Don’t worry, you got that one covered when you endorsed Pat Buchanan.

You probably also see visions of Twinkies copulating with Swiss-Rolls

What does that even mean? If you think you’re such a great author, maybe try including metaphors that make sense?

You can leave whenever you want.

@Surplus

the closest major American political figure to the Antichrist is Donald Trump

@Ohlmann
A Twinkie is a kind of pastry, I don’t know what a Swiss Roll is, but I’ve never pictured copulating Twinkies.

@ naglfar

I don’t know what a Swiss Roll is

“How do you make a Swiss roll?”

“Push him off a mountain.”

(I’ll get my coat)

But they’re a type of dessert. This is a particularly posh example. A vegan one no less.

comment image

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Do not trouble me; I’m looking to do battle with whales, not goldfish.

*Throws stinky blowhole water at Skimmingway*

Anyway, I’m sure the troll was thinking specifically of the Little Debbie Swiss rolls.

Hostess and Little Debbie products are cheap and mocking people for eating them is definitely a classist dog whistle.

@WWTH

I think he was also trying to fat shame, those two are often linked.

1 month ago

I remember as a kid reading imported American comics. There were a lot of Twinkie related adverts and editorial in those. They seemed magical and exotic; like Sea Monkeys, and all those things you could get by selling something called Grit (which I believe was a magazine of some kind)

@Alan Robertshaw
Is this the Grit you were talking about?

1 month ago

WWTH : thank for the additional context. If the intent was a classist attack, it make it even more stupid and hilarious, because if there is a problem I don’t have, it’s making meets ends ; rather I try to prioritize correctly what money go to what charity or “good cause”.

Also, I am a big food snob and go to an independant chocolate maker for chocolated-coated hazelnuts because M&M’s isn’t good enough. (too sugary in particular – and the european one are much less sugary than the american one already …)

(of course, no offense intended to the people that either can’t afford better, or can but find that Mars Incorporated do a good job)

@Ohlmann
I don’t care much for the plain M&Ms but I quite enjoy the peanut butter filled ones when I can find them. The one time I do like M&Ms is if they are baked into a cookie or placed on top of ice cream or yogurt rather than by themselves.

@ naglfar

I’m not sure; but I don’t think so.

This was a typical advert back then. The prizes were amazing; you could get BB guns! (although one speculates it might not quite have been the road to riches that they suggested)

comment image

@Alan
When I was in elementary school we had fundraisers that were sort of like that, where we were supposed to sell things (usually candles or various trinkets) to win prizes. The catch was that one had to sell hundreds or thousands to win any prizes, so nobody I knew ever won any.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
1 month ago

Having only recently switched from ADSL, i can tell you it is more than enough to stream with. In fact, two adults were working from home using a 10 Mbps up/1Mbps down connection for months.

VDSL, what i am on now, has 15 Mbps down and 10Mbps up!!!!!!!!!! And life is BETTER. Not because of streaming (that hasn’t changed much), but because of uploading for work. I’s gone from about 10 minutes to one!!!!!!!!!!! (This is HUGE, and i am super excited for it!)

My point is: you can stream on ADSL. I did for seven years.

Re: rent in toronto – yes, it really is that high. I have a friend who is moving to the maritimes, and is going to buy a *house* with space for an *office* and a yard so they can get a *dog*. For like, 300k??? God i wish. Something similar in town would be like… over a million for sure. And probably a fixer upper at that.

Do jobs pay well enough? No. The Liberal government who was ousted had introduced legislation to bring the minimum wage up to 15$/hour, in a series of steps. The con government immediately cancelled it. There was one increase.

I am paying a large chunk of my income in rent, and i only have as nice a space as i do because i’ve been here for years. I have friends who are having to move, i don’t think they will stay on the city. The only thing that is ‘affordable’ is an apartment in a basment. Those (here) are usually six foot or so in height, probably illegal, and just overall sad.

Air b&b is a huuuuge issue, with people chewing through the existing spaces that could be rented long term.

All that is being built are freaking CONDOS with two bedrooms IF YOU ARE LUCKY. Where do families go?

Lots of the condos are bought by foreign people, and rented out (so absent landlord who lives around the world) or just sit empty. There was an article about how someone took images of buildings, to track how many had light on.

In all, photos were taken of 1,362 different units across the fifteen different buildings. Of those, 76 were empty which works out to 5.6%, which is significant.

To put this in perspective — according to CMHC 206,392 condo units started construction between 2008 and 2018, or an average of 20,639 per year. If the 5.6% vacancy rate holds across the entire condo stock in Toronto that would mean that we have at least two years worth of supply sitting empty.

Of course, not every building is the same.

In buildings were AirBnB utilization is reportedly very high, such as the Ice towers, the vacancy rate appeared to be very low. For other buildings, the rate reached as high as 13.5%.

It’s a small study, but i believe a significant one. A different article talked about how, when asked if he could set up cameras on their condo building to look at other buildings, the owners refused permission. I believe this was just buildings he could see from his own condo.

Places near reliable transit are often very expensive, since they’re desirable.

Rent control for buildings built after some point in the 90s is non existant. In 2017, when that change happened, people’s rents SKYrocketed. (Cw: this is a globe and mail link, sorry. The article is fine, do NOT click any trans stuff, if it pops up.)

The exemption for homes built after 1991 was originally part of a piece of legislation with roots in the Residential Premises Rent Review Act of 1975, which sanctified rental guidelines and restricted rental increases and evictions. The 1975 law changed over the course of its lifetime and eventually included a rotating five-year adjustment period that gave newly built homes time to find their appropriate market value; after five years, the home would be placed into rental regulation. The rotating exemption was last updated in 1991. Five years later, after Mike Harris and the Progressive Conservative Party came to power, the law was reworked to say that homes built or occupied after Nov. 1, 1991, were not included under rental regulation.

The liberals were going to fix this. Ford (the current conservative government) removed that part of the bill, i believe. Or changed it. I think 1991 might be covered, and the new year is 2018?

The Progressive Conservatives touted the amendment to the Residential Tenancies Act — which exempts from rent control units that had not been previously occupied before Nov. 15, 2018 — as a way to encourage investors to build more properties and increase housing supply in a market that is facing a crisis. But industry experts have warned that the policy is likely to lead to more tenants being evicted as they face exorbitant rent increases.

My point is… shit is bad in Toronto. I think it’s bad across Canada, though Toronto and Vancouver in particular are horrifically bad.

This is just the reality, and ontario’s current con government isn’t going to fix it. Federally, there’s no will to fix it. I have no idea how anyone comes to this city, now. If my landlords were to decide to ‘renovict’ me, i’d probably have to leave the city.

That’s illegal, btw. What’s supposed to happen is that the renovicted person just moves back in, when renovations are done. What happens is that the landlord rents out the space, and the existing tenant is just shit out of luck. They can also evict me for ‘family’, who just need to stay here 6 months before they can re-rent. They could probably double what we’re paying, if they went on the open market right now. We’re hesitant to ask for repairs and inprovements, for fear of them deciding we’re too much trouble, and just evicting us.

Hopefully that’s enough information to explain the absolute shithole that is the toronto real estate market, and the rental market. It’s bad.

TL;DR – The rental/housing market in major canadian cities? BAD.

Catalpa
Catalpa
1 month ago

Rhuu explained how fucked the rental situation is in Toronto better than I could have. If you’re wondering how anyone can afford to rent/work in Toronto, as far as I know, it’s primarily these options:

-Needing to spend a huge chunk of your wages on rent, therefore being unable to save or afford almost anything else, either living hand-to-mouth or sinking ever deeper into debt
-Cramming as many people as possible into rentals designed for much less capacity
-Commuting ridiculous distances every day in order to live in an area that’s slightly more affordable. (Kitchener is about a 1.5 hour drive away from Toronto and it’s housing and rental costs are being impacted by the Toronto market, to give you an idea of distances.)
-Living somewhere illegal or incredibly precarious in order to have somewhere more affordable.
-Some combination of the above options

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Alan:
Ahh, yes, the ‘Organized Pseudolegal Commercial Argument’ paper. I’ve read through that. A fine piece of Canadian legal scholarship, meant to help set out arguments for use by other judges who had to deal with idiots like these.

One odd issue is just how many of the idiots trying to get away with these sorts of arguments use the explicitly U.S.-based ‘Sovereign Citizen’ versions of the arguments even in Canada, where a fair number of the arguments make even less sense than usual because several of the things they refer to aren’t the same here.

That’s probably explained by the part of the OPCA paper which talks about how many of these people are following ‘gurus’. A lot of the ‘sovereign citizen’/’freeman on the land’ types are really like the lower levels in a multi-level marketing scheme: the only people getting anything useful are the ones selling the crap to their ‘downlines’.

@Skimmingway, Naglfar:

people as far left as him

Do you seriously think Obama is far left or are you joking?

Yeah, no kidding… in terms of policies, Obama was about as ‘far left’ as Richard Nixon. If you actually listed Nixon’s policy positions without his name attached, modern Republicans would castigate him as a commie pinko. Heck, if you actually listed Reagan’s policy positions without his name attached, a lot of modern Republicans would complain about how left-wing they are… and already have.

@Rhuu:
The ‘blogto’ link I had above mentioned that at least part of the cause of the recent drop in rents in Toronto was due to the explicit tightening-up of the rules surrounding AirBnBs.

I was incredibly lucky on this, admittedly, managing to actually buy my house back in the mid to late 1990s before the upward ramping got too fast. That said, I’m not currently renting any part of the place out: it’s not large, and I really don’t have the time or energy to handle the business of renting a place. I bought it from the previous owner after having rented the basement from him before he had to move out to follow a job… and yeah, the basement still has a towel wrapped around one of the radiator pipes that goes across the hallway because the previous owner kept clipping his head against it because the ceiling was so low down there.

I think it’s time for another round of Spirit of the West’s song ‘Profiteer’, which was all about the people who evicted their tenants in Vancouver so they could make more money renting to the tourists there for Expo ’86.

There’s a cold wind blowin’ through the old east side; it cuts with the devil’s curse.
They’re turning our people into the streets, while the landloards line their purse.
With the greenback dollar of the tourist trade, there’s a fortune to be had;
Make way for the out-of-towners, for the tenants it’s just too bad.

This appears to be their attitude: kick ’em until they’re down.
They’re only welfare cases and pensioners and they’re easily pushed around
We’ve invited the world to come and stay and celebrate the fair
I wonder if the world will understand the homeless walkin’ there.

I’m alright jack, and how ’bout you?
Gonna catch me a wave that’s rollin’ through and turn a trick or two.
I’m alright jack, no flies on me!
I’m within my rights, my conscience clear! I am the profiteer!

@Jenora Feuer

Plus, if Obama had created the EPA Republicans would never let us forget it, yet since Nixon did it they conveniently avoid acknowledging that.

1 month ago

Well, that’s … problematic, to say the least.

For France specifically, one of the rising problem is actually for small owners of rented places. Similar to french taxi licenses, the buy-in price is higher and higher, which leave them with a ton of debt. To compound that, there’s taxes indexed on the value of your goods, so they pay a lot of taxes regardless of how they use it.

It mean they have a ton of financial pressure to rent them as high as possible ; and increasingly they count on selling it at a later point to finish their debt before going in retirement. If the rent price or the sell price go down, a lot of them would go into bankruptcy.

I hope, but don’t hold my breath on, the governement actually realizing the problem and helping with that time bomb. And I sure hope the canadian don’t have that problem on top of mad rents.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Ohlmann:
Oh, I know people who could go for rants about the Toronto Taxi Licencing situation, too…

Basically, there are two classes of taxi licences here. The first one were fairly general, could be bought by anyone, and then you could hire drivers. A lot of them are owned by numbered companies. (The taxi is required to display the name of the owner on the fare sheet, and I’ve been in a few.) Because there weren’t new licences being granted for a while, buying a licence off another owner was the only way to get one for a while, and the prices were far out of reach of most people, especially people such as recent immigrants looking for jobs.

So, the city created a second class of licence called an ‘Ambassador’ licence, where the owner also had to be the driver. These licences were much cheaper because they couldn’t be used as trade chips, and the city could cap the cost. They’re not without their own problems, though: there’s a ‘timeout’ period on the licence where if you don’t use it for a long enough period of time, it gets revoked. This was originally to keep people from hoarding licences that they weren’t using, but unfortunately there’s no exception in the law for, say, the driver being in the hospital for a few months. There have been a few cases of taxi drivers who lost their licences (and only income) because of an accident or illness, and because the ‘Ambassador’ licence requires that the owner also be the driver, they couldn’t get someone else to take over for them temporarily, either.

(Due to not owning a car, I’ve used taxis a fair bit when needing to carry lots of stuff with me, though I use public transit most of the time when I don’t need a trunk. I’ve run into all sorts of people that way. One driver and I had an ‘only in Toronto’ discussion based on the fact that he was from Pakistan and his name was Muhammad, while the taxi owner listed on the licence was Portuguese, and his name was Jesus. So, yes, Muhammad was driving Jesus’ taxi. Apparently they got along pretty well, and it wasn’t the first time he’d had this discussion.)

@Jenora Feuer

Muhammad was driving Jesus’ taxi

I assume you are familiar with the Jesus and Mo comics?

Hambeast
Hambeast
1 month ago

Schnookums Von Fancypants – I know, me too! Except USAF vet here. I was active before the AF (and especially the AF Academy) turned into the US Jesus Force. Yep, I’m an old!

Naglfar – Ah, yes. The New Atheists, who were known as the “gnu atheists” over at Pharyngula back in the day.

1 4 5 6 7 8 11