Uncategorized

Celebrate Stefan Molyneux’s YouTube ban with some of his Greatest Hits, and by “greatest” I mean just terrible

Stefan M: Up in flames

By David Futrelle

YouTube “philosopher” Stefan Molyneux was never really much of a philosopher. And now he’s not a YouTuber either: the streaming video site has banned his ass.

Molyneux, alas, is still on Twitter, where he broke the news with a typically melodramaic flourish.

Stefan Molyneux, MA
@StefanMolyneux
'
@TeamYouTube
 just suspended the largest philosophy conversation the world has ever known.

#FreeFreedomain

Oh, it was a “philosophy conversation,” huh? I thought it was just a weird old dude lecturing young women about how they need to start having babies pronto before their eggs get old and smelly. I thought it was a white dude spewing out racist garbage about IQ and the glories of Western Civilization. I thought it was a not-quite-official alt-rightist serving as a gateway drug, leading possibly thousands of his followers into the official alt-right.

But alas, simply cataloging Molyneux’s assorted obsessions isn’t really the best way to pay tribute to this YouTube Philsopher who isn’t a philosopher and is no longer on YouTube. So I thought I’d provide a handy menu of some of his greatest hits as a public intellectual. By which I mean: here are a bunch of my old posts about the guy.

“Everyone who called the cops ‘murderers’ has blood on their hands,” and other bon mots from Stefan Molyneux, MA

Stefan Molyneux has a new obsession. Can you guess what it is?

Is Fat Acceptance part of a vast conspiracy to lower Western birth rates? Stefan Molyneux seems to think so

Stefan Molyneux grossed us all out with his comments on Taylor Swift’s eggs. But he’s been obsessed with ovulation for a long time.

Stefan Molyneux throws down the gauntlet to … wine moms?

Stefan Molyneux says his YouTube career is in a “death spiral.” I may bust out crying.

Six fun and kicky makeup tips from YouTube racist Stefan Molyneux

So Stefan Molyneux is a slam poet now, apparently

YouTube ranter Stefan Molyneux goes all-in on antisemitism, using the Epstein child rape case as an excuse

Stefan Molyneux: Only white men are smart enough to consistently support “free speech”

Brain genius Stefan Molyneux: ADHD is caused by dumb immigrants and shitty single moms

Stefan Molyneux answers the musical question “why do good girls like bad guys?”

Brain genius Stefan Molyneux wants you to know that the only real racism is racism against people who can’t help being so smart

Stefan Molyneux, Men’s Rights icon, straight up embraces white supremacism (though he won’t quite admit it)

And of course there’s this one:

Stefan Molyneux’s Secret Life as a Hot Babe Who Loves Stefan Molyneux

Coming soon: Reddit’s halfhearted crackdown on hate.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

4 months ago

The largest philosophy conversation the world has ever known, huh? My grandfather was a philosophy professor for 50 years, and I’m sure he would laugh in Stefan’s face if they met. Stefan is a 3rd rate cult leader, and that’s generous.

Speaking of manosphere pseudo philosophy, whatever became of Jordan Peterson? Last I heard he was in a coma in Russia or something like that.

I never watched any of Stefan’s videos, but I get the feeling that’s a good thing.

Seeing as the Reddit bans also happened today and Graham Linehan was booted from Twitter and Stefan lost his channel, it almost seems like social media is finally started to do something about hate. This is what should have been done years ago, and is a bit too little too late, but it’s something.

Tohka
Tohka
4 months ago

Isnt he in debt? Or am I thinking of Milo… anyway, I guess now that YT, on this rare occasion, cracked down, he should start being an alpha dominant patriarch male breadwinner and get an actual job. Idk how to feel about his wife who is on board with everything he does. I just feel bad for his daughter.

Joekster
Joekster
4 months ago

Would this ‘halfhearted crackdown’ involve them dropping the banhammer on The_donald subreddit? Because I think that’s a great sign- if even Reddit is making halfhearted attempts to curtail MAGAheads, it means opinion really is turning against Lord Dampnuts.

Joekster
Joekster
4 months ago

@Naglfar- think of it as a barometer of public opinion. Social media wouldn’t be doing this if dedicated MAGA heads weren’t outnumbered by the people calling to curb their vitriol.

Snowberry
Snowberry
4 months ago

Re: Jordan Peterson, some guy named Dr. Thomas Hudlicky wrote an article in the scientific journal Angewandte Chemie about how diversity in science is anti-meritocratic. The article was pulled after a lot of people complained. Now Jordan Peterson is apparently going on a crusade to prove that male scientists are discriminated against, using this as his only real piece of evidence (aside from the usual reams of meaning-devoid bafflegab).

@Snowberry
This sounds rather reminiscent of the Damore memo. Do we know if Peterson ever finished his benzodiazepine detox program?

@Joekster

It is good, yes, but the reason I’m more pessimistic is because there is still a long way to go towards eradicating hate. I’m worried Reddit and the like will look around, pat themselves son the back for this, and decide it’s all good and that they don’t have to do any more. More is needed.

InfinityNight181
InfinityNight181
4 months ago

I’m a long time reader who just created this account to celebrate.

Between this and all the banned subreddits, it’s a good day Tater!

Catalpa
Catalpa
4 months ago

Yeah, that’s what I’m bracing for as well. Or as was more succinctly put in this tweet:

“Defund the cops.”
“Juneteenth is an official holiday.”
“Ok but the cops?”
“We changed a syrup bottle!”
“The cops?”
“We’re taking down old sitcom episodes.”
“The cops?”
“Recasting black cartoon characters.”
“And the cops?”
“Haven’t we done enough? You sound a bit ungrateful.”

Talonknife
Talonknife
4 months ago

Knowing Reddit, they’ll be playing subreddit whack-a-mole with the remaining users of the banned subreddits for a long while.

@Catalpa
Exactly. So much is performative and doesn’t show a true commitment to addressing the underlying issues. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good to ban hate subreddits, but there is still a lot left to do.

@Talonknife
They’re doing better than I expected with that so far. r/Gender_Critical was banned within hours of the original (without the underscore). r/TrollGC (the TERF meme sub, where they post MRA-quality memes and think they’re funny) has gone private, and hopefully will be gone soon.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Stephen Molyneaux sockpuppeting as an adoring young female fan was my favorite philosophical moment of all time.

Ariblester

Joekster wrote on
June 29, 2020 at 9:19 pm:

They also banned several other subs, according to this (partially-redacted) list.

Among others, Reddit also banned Gendercritical (TERFs, TERFs everywhere), ChapoTrapHouse (Dirtbag Left sub that was getting to T_D levels of advocating for violence), Wojack (crypto-fascist memes), ConsumeProduct (fashy anti-capitalism).

All in all, a good start. Emphasis on start.

Catalpa wrote on
June 29, 2020 at 10:43 pm:

“Defund the cops.”

“Juneteenth is an official holiday.”

“Ok but the cops?”

“We changed a syrup bottle!”

“The cops?”

“We’re taking down old sitcom episodes.”

“The cops?”

“Recasting black cartoon characters.”

“And the cops?”

“Haven’t we done enough? You sound a bit ungrateful.”

Well, defunding the police is outside of Reddit’s purview, and I doubt that they’d be the sort of organization to voice support for it in the first place, but I take your greater point.

Moogue
Moogue
4 months ago

Something tells me that this is a preemptive strike because of all the bipartisan talk about ending the rules that protect social media companies from being sued for their user’s content, for example hatespeech. Of course Republicans are only interested in this rule because they want to able to sue and harrass the accounts that they don’t like with “libel”, but I’m hoping that will all come out in the wash.

An Autistic Giraffe
An Autistic Giraffe
4 months ago

Yeah and Bipolar Disorder is caused by the Portuguese and Anime fans.

the largest philosophy conversation the world has ever known.

Somehow I think if you got Plato, Confucius, Lao zi, Karl Marx, Nietzsche, Socrates, John Stuart Mill and Kierkegaard together, “Is fat acceptance a plot to lower birth rates” among other things doesn’t sound like it would be the topic of conversation.

Snowberry
Snowberry
4 months ago

@Moogue: The problem is that, as usual, they’re only thinking about what they can do to those they consider enemies. They’re not considering that those people could do the same to them in return, and probably far more competently. Despite that it blows up in their face nearly every time, they never learn. And the long-term effect if they succeed is that the major US-based companies will just move *out* of the US to avoid the worst of it, damaging the country’s economy further and mostly undoing everything anyway.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
3 months ago

Good riddance for that clown. May he have a good day in company of Milo.

Good thing the general deplatforming of the far right is picking a bit of steam.

Temascos
Temascos
3 months ago

I still remember Shaun’s video on Stefan as he complained about Wonder Woman, that was the first time I heard about the guy and I wondered how anyone could take him seriously.

@Snowberry

A few weeks ago when Trump went off about Section 230, it was pointed out that if it were repealed Twitter would probably ban him for liability reasons. I wonder if he will be angry about r/The_Donald being banned, although he isn’t officially connected he did an AMA there a few years ago while campaigning.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)

I wonder if he will be angry about r/The_Donald being banned,

Trump’s over 50, so Reddit is about as relevant as predicting moonquakes. Doubt he’ll even notice.

3 months ago

Speaking of Reddit bans, the Twitter account for r/GenderCritical (not totally sure how Twitter accounts affiliated with subs work) has suggested members give the app a bad rating in the App Store to try to get their subreddit back. I don’t think they realize what a small minority they are.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
3 months ago

Dieudonné, one of the biggest french antisemite, was banned too apparently. (from youtube at least)

I guess non-french won’t get how big of a deal it is, but it’s still cause of celebration to me 🙂

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Ohlmann

You’re right, I don’t, but still yay! I’m choosing to believe it’s something like Rush Limbaugh getting pitched off (if he were a YouTuber). I celebrate with you 🙂

Paireon
Paireon
3 months ago

@Ohlmann: Yeah, I remember Dieudonné, back when he wasn’t a raging antisemite he could be wickedly funny… His descent into hate-filled, bigoted anti-Jewish one-man-wankfest is a tragedy for French comedy and I now hold only scorn for the man.

Oh, and re: Molyneux’s tweet:

“TeamYouTube just suspended the longest pseudo-philosophical attempt at justifying being an arrogant, bigoted macho tool the world has ever known.” FTFY.

Ariblester

Ohlmann wrote on
June 30, 2020 at 9:51 am:

Time for a quenelle (the food kind)?

(I only know him as being the inventor of the shove-it-this-far-up-your-arse-but-also-it’s-an-inverted-Nazi-salute-and-yes-it-was-used-against-“Zionists”-but-I’m-not-an-antisemite-I-swear gesture that some French football player made.)

Moogue
Moogue

@An Autistic Giraffe

“Yeah and Bipolar Disorder is caused by the Portuguese and Anime fans.”

Are the Portuguese a large influence on the US and the West in his mind? It just seems really weirdly… specific.

@Naglfar, @Snowberry

Yeah, that makes sense. A part of me is not feeling optimistic about anything anymore.

numerobis
numerobis
3 months ago

Catalpa: don’t forget the statues! All these statues are coming down, which means we no longer have racism anymore.

I started seeing warnings to not allow things to stop at symbolic gestures. A week later, the protests ended in the news (I’m well aware they continue every night, they just don’t get coverage). And the discussion is all about flags and pancakes.

By the way, pancake mix for yinz:
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 tbl sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
No racist imagery.

Makes enough for 1 active person (e.g. backpacking or cycle touring) per day; scale up as needed, or cut it down a bit for in-town breakfasts. Mix with 1 large egg and 3/4 cup water, or dried egg and 1 cup water. Serve with maple syrup and semi-salted butter.

@numerobis
You don’t use buttermilk in your pancakes?

The thing about the pancakes is I bet that 99.9% of the angry conservatives never noticed the image on the box and if it had gone away without announcement none of them would have noticed or cared, but because they heard it was racist they had to jump in to defend it. Very telling that they only intervene after hearing that the thing they want to defend is racist.

We had Obama, no more racism since 2008! And no more homophobia since Obergefell in 2015! /s
That appears to unironically be the view of a lot of liberals and centrists.

Moggie
Moggie
3 months ago
North Sea Sparkly Dragon (Formerly Nanny Oggs Busom)
North Sea Sparkly Dragon (Formerly Nanny Oggs Busom)
3 months ago

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Chris O
Chris O

@North Sea Sparkly Dragon:

Hey, you stole my line!

Seriously, I’m glad Molyspew’s been kicked off YouTube.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte
3 months ago

Finally! Doubtless the most amusing bit is when he tried going onto Twitch next and was promptly banned there as well. Hope he goes broke and is unable to sustain his Hate Speech channels.

@WWTH

I still laugh about it. It was unbelievably cringey.