Uncategorized

One Angry Gamer is furious that Netflix’s live-action Cowboy Bebop will feature slightly less skimpy clothes for Faye

By David Futrelle

In these troubled times, it’s good to know that the guys at One Angry Gamer have their priorities straight. Forget police violence, forget the tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths caused by Trump’s utter mishandling of the coronavirus. The crucial issue of our time is exactly how short the shorts of Faye from Cowboy Bebop should be.

As you may know, Cowboy Bebop is a famously sexy Japanese anime show from the nineties that Netflix is resurrecting as a live-action series.

But one element of the original might not make it into the reboot: the exceedingly skimpy clothing of the character Faye. In an interview with io9, you see, show writer Javier Grillo-Marxuach mentioned that Faye’s outfits will be toned down a scootch because “we need to have a real human being wearing that.”

Naturally this has made Billy D of One Angry Gamer even angrier. Accusing Netflix of having

a certain kind of formula … which almost always undermines the original work to push some kind of subversive, Left-wing oriented message,

he laments that their version of the

Cowboy Bebop show will not be faithful to the original, especially when it comes to how sexy Faye is supposed to be dressed.

Who likes short shorts? Apparently not Netflix.

Billy is especially outraged by the idea that cartoon Faye wears clothes not fit for a real human.

So basically, wearing short-shorts, thigh-high stockings, thong suspenders, and a cropped V-neck sleeveless halter-top isn’t something “a real human being” would wear?

Well, no, it’s not. I’ve seen plenty of skimpy outfits in my day but I’ve never seen anyone dressed like Faye walking down the street.

You mean to tell me that real women have never worn what Faye has worn?

Generally speaking, no.

So the women who attend sporting events in the summer wearing cropped tops and short-shorts aren’t real human beings?

He then shows women wearing much less revealing shorts than Faye. And without the thigh-high stockings.

You mean to tell me that celebrities like Lady Gaga wearing cropped tops and short-shorts with heels are women who aren’t real human beings?

Well, no, but to be fair Lady Gaga once wore a dress made entirely of meat that has its own entry on Wikipedia. One time she wore this. And another time she wore this. In other words, she’s not really a good bellwether for “what real people wear” in the real world.

In the comments, One Angry Gamer’s completely normal readers responded in completely normal ways.

“I’m just done,” wrote one.

let this shitty society burn and let the kikes take over and let everyone go extinct

Another responded:

Nah.
lets burn the kikes instead and take BACK the society we once held dear
only this time, no more sympathy for subhumans

Huh. If I were running One Angry Gamer I’d be a little more perturbed by my own readers’ inhumanity than by the exact shortness of Faye’s short shorts.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
11 months ago

If you ever get to the UK I’ll take you for a night out in Camden.

11 months ago

some kind of subversive, Left-wing oriented message

Ah yes, the radical leftist agenda of wearing clothes.

I don’t think Billy is capable of self reflection, since he’s a Nazi just like the readers.

Semi related: I noticed OAG now has a Captcha thing for access, which usually is used for sites that are likely to be DDoSed or otherwise hacked.

Shadowplay

@Alan

If you ever get to the UK I’ll take you for a night out in Camden.

Were just thinking of Camden. Or Lewisham. Or Newcastle!

Short shorts and stockings are common enough going out gear round Woolwich, too (which is a significant improvement in coverage from when our girls were doing the clubbing thing. That … lead to much strife between the girls and the missus of a Friday and Saturday night. She didn’t approve.).

Snowberry
Snowberry
11 months ago

Would like to point out that there will be action, and skimpy clothing with no place to hide protective gear is *dangerous* for stuntwomen.

This is why a lot of action films feature men (and less often due to sexism and/or eye candy reasons, women) wearing heavy jackets. It’s not just to look cool.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ shadowplay

Or Newcastle!

That might be over-dressed for Newcastle. Maybe if there was a blizzard or something.

Moggie
Moggie
11 months ago

Cowboy Bebop is terrific*, but the length of Faye’s shorts is probably the least important aspect of the show. And I doubt they’ll have her wearing a sack: if they’re trying to stay reasonably true to the original, she’ll still be hot, just not “barely dressed” hot. This is not an extinction event.

* Well, the anime is terrific, but I’ll be surprised if the remake will do it justice. In particular, if they don’t replicate “Toys in the Attic” or they don’t have Yoko Kanno on board, I’m going to riot.

Fabe
Fabe
11 months ago

I would not be surprised if next this guy starts complaining that Edward isn’t sexy enough…

Michael Suttkus, II
Michael Suttkus, II
11 months ago

Moggie, be assured that Yoko Kano has signed on to score the live action series, or at least it’s been announced she’s on board but how much she’ll be doing isn’t clear.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Yoko Kanno

You all got me intrigued, so listening now!

comment image

Talonknife
Talonknife
11 months ago

Pretty much all I know about Cowboy Bebop is that it’s considered one of the best dubs among anime and that “Tank!” is a kickass song.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Off topic, but JK Rowling has doubled down and gone full Graham Linehan

Moggie
Moggie

@Fabe:

Oh God.

comment image

@WWTH
Her whole timeline for the last few hours has been like that. This seems to have finally made some of her followers leave, as her follower count is plummeting in real-time.

Anyway, this is hardly the first time she’s been open about her TERFiness. She retweeted transphobic videos and Magdalen Berns multiple times, she defended Maya Forstater in December, and last month she “accidentally” retweeted a child’s drawing with an explicit blurb misgendering a trans* woman (she claimed it was an accident where she pasted the wrong text from her clipboard, even if that were true it would raise the question of why she had that on her clipboard in the first place).

I never liked Harry Potter much anyway (far too white, rather misogynistic, antisemitic AF, and the Dumbledore token retcon), but this really makes me want to get rid of any of her books I might have around.

It’s sad, in a way. She wrote a book about a boy who had to repress who he was then flourished when that was embraced, a theme which many LGBT people related to, and for her to turn out to be a bigoted asshole against those very people.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@Moggie, agreed.

Cowboy Bebop is in my top 5 favourite anime series; it’s so damn cool (and Spike is NOT dead, btw). But while Faye is a kickass character, her clothes are ridiculous, even by anime standards.

There are legit concerns around turning anime into live-action (it hardly ever works, imo). But this ain’t it, guys.

freneticferret
freneticferret
11 months ago

As another nerd who adores Cowboy Bebop, I can safely say that Faye’s pants are not even on my radar of concerns about the adaptation. I’m expecting it to suck because all live action adaptations of anime (and of most animated things) suck. Why remake a near perfect series?

Re: Spike being dead or not: the director likes to toy with people on that question, once answering a fan who asked why Spike had to die, ‘Did you see him die? I didn’t. He looked tired to me.’

Personally, I cried the first time I saw the final episode, but these days I like to think Spike really did take an impromptu nap on the stairs and that his friends found him soon after.

Wez
Wez
11 months ago

Isn’t One Angry Gamer also upset that people are taking his list of ‘traitors’ in gaming as a list of companies and people to check out instead? Seems like it’s not a good week to be One Angry Gamer.

@Wez
That’s great. He should be used to it by now though, this isn’t the first time that’s happened. Whenever incels/MRAs/Nazis/other horrible people declare how evil a movie or TV show is, it usually makes me more inclined to watch it.

Anyway, poor Billy. Boo hoo for him. /s
comment image

@WWTH
J.K. has now progressed to the “but some of my best friends are gay” defense. She apparently thinks this exonerates her.

I also find it interesting how she claimed to have a lesbian friend rather than claiming to have a trans* friend. She could have brought up a TERF token like Fionne Orlander (whom she invited to get drinks post-pandemic) or Debbie Hayton. But maybe she knew that was too much of a stretch?

personalpest
personalpest
11 months ago

@Naglfar: How is Harry Potter anti-Semitic? I’ve never heard that criticism before.

Robert Haynie
Robert Haynie
11 months ago

Okay. As a long time (and by long time, I mean around 40 years) anime fan, I can tell you this.

Faye’s traditional outfit is a thing that works on the cosplay stage. A measured, deliberate pace, and also under some social Anime convention situations. And yes, it can work very well indeed.

For “real life”– that is, actual day to day wear– and note that Faye does wear that somewhat limited outfit day to day– not so much.

And in anything remotely like an action scene– and believe me, Faye is very much a card-carrying member of the “Action Girl” trope squad– well, there’s a reason Bebop was animated.

Animated characters can wear stuff like that in acrobatic, high speed combat scenes, guns a-poppin’ and kicks a-flyin’, because they’re animated, and the artists can do magical things with the clothing.

In a live action film, not so much. Not so much at all. Even ignoring the difficulty of filming more than fifteen seconds of a typical fight scene in that outfit without a clothing malfunction– hint, you can’t– it would look cheesy as hell in live action. Especially for any extended scene at all. Faye may be a somewhat amoral, selfish, and downright crooked girl, but she ain’t stupid, and any actress trying to be taken seriously in that outfit will not only seem stupid, but a four star snickerdoodle of the most grandiose magnitude.

Seriously, giving the girl some pants is about the only way to allow a live action version to have any credibility whatsoever.

On the other hand, we could always allow him to see this…
comment image

and listen for the distant and oh-so-satisfying screams.

@personalpest
The main issue is the goblins at Gringotts which are depicted as greedy and large nosed. In the films it’s even worse, with the goblins speaking with vaguely Yiddish accents and having what appear to be Jewish caricatures of faces. They manage all the money, so I think we can all see where this is going. Later in the series, the goblins are shown as vicious debt collectors and betray Harry because they only care about money.

Here’s an article which does a better job explaining (tw for antisemitism). TL;DR is that the goblins are definitely antisemitic caricatures, intentional or not, and that’s a problem when this is media viewed by millions worldwide.

As for whether this means Rowling herself is antisemitic, that’s debatable, but it wouldn’t really surprise me given that TERFism is often connected to antisemitism given the propensity of TERFs to claim that trans* people or trans* healthcare are a Jewish pharmaceutical conspiracy.

gijoel
gijoel

@ Robert Haynie. Yeah their heads will explode if they ever see Man-Faye

varalys the dark
11 months ago

I’m sure this live action reboot will do as well as the Death Note and Ghost In The Shell ones.

CriticalDragon1177 (@CriticalDragon1)
CriticalDragon1177 (@CriticalDragon1)
11 months ago

Wow. This guy is totally “reasonable”

Shadowplay

Not even going to mention the live action Lupin the 3rd. 🙁

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
11 months ago

While I don’t find the anime Faye particulary skimpy, her attire also isn’t important to the show. Who care about changing minors details ?

Wez
Wez

@Ohlmann

Apparently this ‘gentleman’s*’ boner cares.

*using the word in it’s losest possible sense.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
11 months ago

@Nagfljar : while antisemitism from Rowling is definitely a real possibility, in the popular culture the archetype of greedy humanoid creature is based on jewish caricature, so it’s super easy to continue them without realizing. Antisemitism by laziness in other words.

See also : that flying slave keeper in Star War the Phantom Menace ; the goblins in World of Warcraft (even if their hyperactive nature and frightening love for technology and explosive help disguise that). If memory from warcraft are right, it seem that warcraft goblins took the greedy trait because they already looked like the stereotype for greedy race and not the other way around.

It’s somewhat similar to how black-skinned non human tend to indicate a savage and wilder subspecie (black orc, black troll typically), and people don’t do that as a jab to africans even if they contribute to continue the stereotype.

varalys the dark
11 months ago

@Naglfar: Being a lesbian (who is apparently both butch and femme at the same time *shrug*) I read that post of Rowling’s rolling my eyes. But the responses were pretty damn funny! Just a question for folks though, where does the whole person who definitely isn’t imaginary but just happens to live in Canada thing come from?

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
11 months ago

That tweet summarize how pathetic is Rowling pretty well.

Moggie
Moggie

@Ohlmann
I know it’s easy to do unintentionally because it’s engrained in the culture, but it is still harmful to pass this on in children’s entertainment.

@Varalys

who is apparently both butch and femme at the same time

How does that work? Do you present as one on some days and the other on other days?

It says here that it’s because Canada is a big country and has certain stereotypes about its inhabitants. And if you’re in the US it’s close but still far away at the same time (i.e. closer than Europe but still a long drive from most places in the US).

O/T: Republican Congressmen are now making fake civil war flyers that are supposedly from Antifa. I’m not sure what’s sadder, that they thought anyone would take it seriously or that many Republicans are.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
11 months ago

@Nagflar : you dress one of your side in a butch way, the other in a femme way. Because the society is tolerant you can choose whether it’s your right side or your left side that is butch.

As for the stupide republican propaganda, the rule #1 of propaganda is to say things people want to hear. That immensely lower the barriers for it to be believed.

It do work on everyone, not jsut on guillible, frightened, hateful people ; but thoses are even more likely to bite. Still something to be on the lookout for. I personally made way too much time to doubt the supposed video of a black agent of the FBI in civil being controlled by police and chewing on them.

Allandrel
Allandrel

@Ohlmann

What settings do that? The only settings I can think of with a darker-skinned sub-group of nonhumans are the Lord of the Rings (film versions) and classic Warhammer Fantasy. And in both of those, the “black orcs” were more intelligent and disciplined than the common ones.

As for Warcraft, it has long had issues of trying to subvert problematic fantasy tropes and then… not actually doing so. Especially the whole setup of “While the Alliance and the Horde look like stereotypical ‘good races versus evil races’ conflict, neither is good or bad and both are shades of grey.”

Then you actually play the games and discover that no, the Horde ARE the bad guys, even as the developers (and a scarily large number of players) insist that their many, many war crimes (from destroying cities with bioweapons to genocide to slavery) are in fact totally justified, but the Alliance are Terrible Villains because they… once destroyed a military training camp after allowing the civilians to evacuate, and because they say mean things about the Horde and are therefore Evil Bigots.

varalys the dark
11 months ago

@Naglfar: It’s super weird. Like I wear men’s clothes, always have done since I was a kid. My current uniform is skate shorts, nerd t-shirt, checked men’s shirt and hoodie. If my hood is up and my face is hidden I get misgendered quite a bit. But I have quite a soft face and waist length hair, so when that comes down I’m suddenly femme. When I was clubbing back in the 90’s in Manchester’s gay village, even though I was wearing jeans and a shirt and had massive shoulders from lifting, I got accused of being a straight and usually had to snog a woman I was with to “prove” I wasn’t and be let in! So yeah, I mean I am a cis woman and just dress in what is comfy for me and don’t cut my hair because hair is a pain to maintain otherwise, but like I say I am Schrodinger’s Lesbian 😀

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
11 months ago

@Allandrel : it’s the case in numerous D&D settings too, as well as less well known stuff like the Confrontation universe.

Note that black orcs as you say are more intelligent and disciplined than the regular one, but also more brutal and savage, and they are meant to be bad.

For World of Warcraft, they fail at it, but remember the Alliance have been shown to :
* try to enslave natives (in Vol’dun in particular)
* eradicate religious minority (Mag’har most proeminently)
* warmongering hard against the Horde (Jaina in particular, but also a lot of quest objective in the horde)

However, the *leadership* of the horde have been alway depicted as either incompetent or hitler-level or evil, while the leadership of the alliance have alway be competent and well meaning.

Generally speaking, if you play as the horde, you *do* see the Alliance as a bunch of fascist. The way events are framed and the one you see make sure you can’t sympathize with the Alliance. In a meta level, it’s good, but most people probably don’t see the fine prints.

pk1154
pk1154

@varalys the dark

My Girlfriend Who Lives In Canada
Avenue Q
The Bert-like character (who is definitely not…that way…because he has a real girlfriend!) sings it.

A very out gay fellow I know played that role in a local production.

He was fantastic.

@Varalys

I find this rather interesting in and of itself, for a few reasons. First, I would think going to such a club in the first place would suggest that one is in fact sapphic, as straight women probably don’t often go to lesbian clubs. Second, femme lesbians exist now and I would assume they existed then as well. Third, that test doesn’t make much sense to prove gayness, as a straight woman could probably snog another woman and feign affection even if she weren’t attracted.

Though I guess this is yet another case where gatekeeping doesn’t make much sense.

personalpest
personalpest
11 months ago

@Naglfar and others commenting on cultural anti-Semitism: Thank you so much. And Naglfar, the Star Wars slave trader you’re referring to is Watto: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Watto

Anyway, I have another example to add: the Ferengi from latter-day Star Trek. Their entire culture is based on greed and mercantilism (they live by a code called “Rules of Acquisition”), and IIRC, almost all the various Ferengi characters have been played by Jewish actors. As Naglfr and others have observed, stereotypes such as the “greedy Jew” have such cultural power that they are spread by creators who would never use them intentionally. (The infamous Star Wars character Jar Jar Binks is another example of a negative stereotype — in this case, the ignorant, clownish black man — being transferred to an alien.)

Ariblester

Wez wrote on
June 6, 2020 at 9:10 pm:

That’s the one. The list is mirrored at https://onepetulantgamer.net

@personalpest
Yeah, Watto and the Ferengi are also rather problematic for the same reason, that even if unintentional they perpetuate negative ideas about minorities.

I can believe that the goblins might be unintentional (though it wouldn’t surprise me if it was intentional), but I feel like it would have been hard to make Watto without knowing about the resemblance to Jewish stereotypes. He wears a hat not dissimilar from a yarmulke, he speaks with a Yiddish accent, and he has a large nose.

varalys the dark
11 months ago

@pk1154: THANKYOU!! Sorry it gets quoted quite a bit online and I always feel out of the loop.

@Naglfar: Ah well see come the mid-90’s gay was suddenly trendy here in the UK when I was at Manchester University. We were well known to have all the best pubs and clubs and straight women who just wanted to go out and dance without being leered and pawed at enjoyed the gay clubs immensely. I know this cos my usual clubbing group contained two straight women, who apparently looked more lesbian than I did. Humph. The Paradise Factory was the strict one because on the night we usually went The Loft (the upstairs dancefloor, the place had three levels) was women only and had limited space. Damn that was a fun space to strut my funky stuff in once I was finally let in. Place shutdown along time ago, but the happy memories never fade.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
11 months ago

Re the whole Canadian SO thing … interestingly enough, before I fell in love with Mr. Parasol, I was in an LDR with a fella from Montreal. Luckily the whole “lives in Canada” wasn’t quite a thing yet. Unluckily, my phone bill was ridiculous.

Viscaria
Viscaria
11 months ago

This reads like the sarcastic comment someone might have made mocking One Angry Gamer on this post, but it’s just… it’s just what he actually said. Parody proof.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@PersonalPest

I would argue that the Ferengi are a different case, for the twin reasons that they were principally created by a Jewish man and that the creators are quite explicit about the symbolism they put in, right down to the name. “Ferengi” means, essentially, “white people”. The Ferengi are us, the United States, as we look to the Federation.

varalys the dark
11 months ago

They are specifically identified as being akin to “Yankee traders” in their first appearance in season one of Star Trek TNG “The Last Outpost”.

@Varalys
Ah, I didn’t know that re: gay clubs in the 90s. Thank you for the explanation.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org
11 months ago

I was looking for reviews of Monster Train when I found an otherwise glowing review on One Angry Gamer, that had to have an aside about how the designs for the female monsters weren’t “creative” enough.

For reference, here’s one of the first players are likely to see: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/RY1Rmm

varalys the dark
11 months ago

@Naglfar: No probs! It was kind of funny, when I started going out in The Village as the gay bit of Manchester was called in 93, it was kind of furtive, you watched your back for trouble, there was a feeling of oppression in the air. By 1995/6 the area was one of the safest and vibrant in the city and so lively even in the winter months there would be crowds drinking and laughing along Canal Street (a much vandalised sign as you can imagine) where most of the pubs and bars were. After the incredibly homophobic head of the Manchester police retired, the force started mending fences with the community almost instantly and did extensive outreach (I know this because I attended a couple of discussion groups at the Lesbian and Gay Centre). So it was always being policed by the mid-90’s but they were protecting us not threatening us (for what it’s worth Manchester Police tweeted in support of BLM and afaik have not provoked the crowds at the cities protests). Ooh I’m all nostalgic now, might have to put some Happy House on!

Catalpa
Catalpa
11 months ago

The Drow are a fairly famous D&D race of black-skinned elves that live underground, are matriarchal, and are 99% of the time innately chaotic evil.

Whole lotta implications there.

(Duergar are similarity evil Dwarves that are typically depicted as being darker than their innately good counterparts, though typically they are grey rather than black.)

1 2 3 5