Uncategorized

99 Men’s Rights Redditors agree: “Femtards” don’t appreciate how much we love women

Not these particular women, though

By David Futrelle

Over on the Men’s Rights subreddit, the regulars are celebrating women — or at least that small portion of women who are willing to date Men’s Rights activists.

“Men in r/mensrights love women and many of us are in a happy relationship with a woman,” declared an MRA called zogins in a post that’s gotten more than 800 upvotes. He went on to rhapsodize about his girlfriend, whom he described as “like no one I have ever met before.” And she’s not the only good one in his book:

[T]here are lots of women out there who are nothing like the radical feminist bitches who taint the reputation of other women.

It’s a safe guess that when he refers to “radical feminist bitches” he is not talking about actual RadFems but rather every women who’s ever expressed even the mildest feminist sentiment in his general vicinity.

My girl even knows that I post on this sub but we do not go into what I write. I would have no problem if she ever asked to see what I post. But the best thing is that we respect each other’s space and we don’t do that sort of thing – prying into each other’s business.

Her deliberate ignorance of the shit he posts on r/MensRights is probably one of the main things thing keeping the relationship going, I would guess.

After all this, for some reason, zogins threw in a brief review of the 1991 film Thelma and Louise. Needless to say, he is not a fan.

A couple of nights ago we watched ‘ Thelma and Louise’. It is considered the ultimate feminist, man hating movie. My partner was the one to tell me that every man in the movie is a caricature of manhood. She told me that the film portrays Thelma and Louise as the heroes but they are the ultimate villains.

He finished up with a stirring call to action, if posting on the internet can be considered action.

It would be great to hear from other men here who have positive experiences with women – let’s destroy those man hating radical feminists by sharing happy stories!

A few Men’s Rights Redditors dutifully posted vague hosannas to their own girlfriends and wives, but there was one non-girlfriend-related reply that stood out to me — and to a lot of the subreddit regulars, who gave it nearly a hundred upvotes. It came from a fellow called vlo1:

yeah, we’re not incels, despite what 3rd [wave] femtards believe.

He later, er, clarified his remarks after it was pointed out to him that some MRAs are indeed incels:

EDIT: For clarification, I didn’t mean none of us are incels, ofc I understand some are, but not all.

But I”m more struck by the lovely term “femtards,” presumably meaning feminists.

Maybe this is just me, but I somehow find it difficult to believe that anyone who unironically refers to feminists (or women in general) as “femtards” probably is not the world’s number one respecter of women.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

@Catalpa

Not until I complete my work on The Device, at least

Does The Device work on men too? I feel like that would also be useful.

Catalpa
Catalpa
11 months ago

Does The Device work on men too? I feel like that would also be useful.

Yes, the men and the non-binary folks will be assimilated as well. It is important to be inclusive when engaging in mad science.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ catalpa

It is important to be inclusive when engaging in mad science.

I feel now I have to post this:

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
11 months ago

Trump in a tizzy because Twitter is now fact checking his tweets.

Allandrel
Allandrel

@Alan

My favorite part is that he claims that this non-governmental company is infringing on his First Amendment rights, and therefore the government should restrict their speech.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ allandrel

I like that he’s saying that this is why they stopped advertising on Twitter. Even though (a) that was months ago, (b) it wasn’t their decision, Twitter actually banned political ads, and (c) they whinged about that being a breach of free speech too.

Anonymous
Anonymous

@MansVoice
I suggest not bothering with Yudkowsky. The man isn’t a genius- he’s a crank with good publicity. Why else would his so-called Machine Intelligence Research Institute have generated nothing but press releases over the entire history of its operation? (And let’s not forget the exercise in inanity that is Roko’s Basilisk.)

Moogue
Moogue

@Zazu

That’s it, practice erasure towards women.

Nah, we’re not practicing erasing women, we’re practicing erasing “men’s cocksure declarations of what women’s feelings are because they think they share a hivemind”. (Try it, it’s fun!) I didn’t see any actual women’s opinions in the OP, but maybe I just missed them.

WAIT DID SOMEONE MENTION SHE-RA?

@Allandrel

proof that the franchise had been taken over by SJWs,

Hasn’t it though? Come on ‘love, kindness, and standing up against unjust power structures‘? These concepts only exist when they’re benefiting the troofans! (Or toymakers. Although toymakers are usually men like them). And there’s fat, sparkly women in it!!!!!GAHHHHH!!!!!! SAD BONERS!

Also that ending.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Moggie

Zazu

? Why are you bringing my cousin into this?

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
11 months ago

No,, no woman could EVER be in a happy, loving relationship with someone that people on the left side of the fence thinks is “totes problematic, hella toxic!!!”

Correct. That’s why there are battered women’s shelters.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Scoots

I loved Hester Street. There are so many individual moments that are really great. The husband is SUCH an asshole.

You’re the first person I’ve encountered who’s also seen that film. Yes, it is wonderful.

But if I remember correctly, there’s another male character whom Men’s Rights types would probably sneer at as a beta male and a “cuck.”

Absolutely, you remember correctly. That’s the guy who boards with the couple, the religious scholar who always has his nose in a book. An obvious cuck!!!

I once had such low self-esteem that I would put up with nearly anything just to HAVE a boyfriend.

Congratulations for moving on from that mindset!

Fenny
Fenny

@ Ohlmann

Evidently my French isn’t as good as I thought! Thanks for the correction (and I’ll keep on practising…)

Moggie
Moggie

@Dalillama, Moogue != Moggie

Allandrel
Allandrel

@Moogue

Also that ending.

I have now watched That Scene about one hundred times.

Paireon
Paireon
11 months ago

Ah crap, missed the trolls. And IIRC the original 1980’s She-Ra cartoon was nothing to write home about anyways – basically Masters of the Universe with a reversed gender imbalance, a Big Bad even more ridiculously incompetent than OG Skeletor (which rankled my child self quite a bit, because Hordak was seen in one He-Man -fuck, even back then the name gave me the giggles it’s so ridiculous- episode where he was so badass He-Man and Skeletor had to team up to beat him), and was IMO a weirdly clumsy attempt to bridge the gap between Mattel’s two biggest toy lines (the other one being Barbie), and I don’t think the Venn diagram of fans of those franchises had much overlap. And I have no idea whether or not there was any involvement by women in it, nor to which degree. Then again this was over 30 years ago. Most 80s cartoons were glorified toy commercials and haven’t held up very well.

Been wanting to scope out the remake for a bit now, but despite confinement I still have a huge backlog of stuff to watch anyways (I can still count the number of eps of the Voltron remake I’ve seen on one hand IIRC).

And as a native French-speaker, that French MGTOW article is …just WHY. Why do they even exist. Fuck. It’s like everything in a man-woman relationship’s about transactional sex and/or procreation to them.

«Je suis un Mgtow, mais je n’ai pas renoncé à avoir une vie de couple. J’ai juste compris que faire des enfants en croyant que la femme est égale à nous, c’est se tirer une balle dans le pied.»

Translation:

“I’m a MGTOW, but I haven’t renounced being in a couples relationship. I just came to understand that having children while believing that [woman/the woman; could mean either] is equal to us, is shooting oneself in the foot.”

What the Cinnamon Toast Fuck am I reading.

I can’t wait until Catalpa finishes their machine.

@Paireon
I can’t read French, but the idea of married MGTOWs has been around for a while, I recall Dean Esmay formerly of A Voice For Men has this to say about it. Not sure what they think they’re going their own way from when they are literally admitting to being married, but internal consistency was never their strong point anyway.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Moggie
Sorry, was late at night for me.

11 months ago

Oh man, MansVoice has jumped threads again, so that he can continue to avoid admitting that he doesn’t know science from his own left foot.

Allandrel
Allandrel

@Paireon

Big childhood fan of both MOTU and She-Ra here, and there was quite a bit of audience overlap in my experience. The surprising number of girls viewing HMATMOTU was actually what inspired the creation of She-Ra – Filmation’s heads pitched the idea of a He-Man-like hero that little girls could identify with to Mattel, and Mattel went for it.

There were indeed some of the issues that you would expect given how many men were in lead positions with the toyline and cartoon, thoygh there were more women prominently involved than was usual for the time. The initial toyline’s story presented Catra as the main villain (the Horde being part of the MOTU toyline), and the minicomic stories were typically “Catra is jealous of She-Ra and tries to ruin her day.”

It was Filmation head Lou Scheimer who wanted a big story where She-Ra fought systemic injustice, and suggested making the Horde the villains. Mattel liked this partly because, with the HMATMOTU no longer in production, the Horde toys had not gotten any cartoon-based promotion. But it was Filmation that changed Hordak from a failed invader to a successful overlord, giving the show a different feel from HMATMOTU that had nothing to do with the lead’s gender.

And like HMATMOTU, while She-Ra certainly had issues, it was VERY “SJW” in its themes and messages. Both shows featured heavy-handed messages about standing up for the vulnerable, doing the right thing even when it cost you personally, being tolerant of others’ difference and supportive of their identities, all that stuff that right-wingers hate.

@Allandrel
AFAICT the main reason for the alt right meltdowns also has a lot to do with the way the characters changed appearance so now they can’t jerk off to a kid’s show. They never watched it anyway, they’re just looking for outrage fuel.
Personally, I haven’t watched either iteration of the show but looking at some pictures of new and old characters, I prefer the new ones. They look less oversexualized and better drawn in general. Plus the setting looks a lot nicer.

11 months ago

Over the last few years, I have abandoned any belief that conservatives are not straight-up evil. This was not the result of liberal propaganda. This was the result of trying to understand conservatives by talking with them.

So, there’s actually been a (scientific!) survey done that puts this sort of hysteria to bed. Only 14% of Republicans say that wearing a mask is a sign of “weakness,” and 58% say it is “respectful” to wear a mask around others. (And this was a vaguely worded question with a “Not sure” option and a lot of room for interpretation about what “respectful” means).

There’s a little bit of mask suspicion in GOP circles, I would guess mostly due to the natural tendency of people to imitate their leaders. (In this case, the Republican President.) But for the most part, the callous, non-mask-wearing conservative is simply not a thing. It is, like so many other conservative archetypes, primarily a figment of the online liberal imagination.

11 months ago

Hey, MansVoice. When are you going to go back to one of the previous threads and address your stupidity in them? Never? Thought so.

Allandrel
Allandrel

@MansVoice

Since you’re so fond of lecturing us on science, why don;t you get around to explaining those “objective” standards of attractiveness that you’ve gone on about? Since they are objective facts, it should be straightforward for you to present them to us.

Mabret the Virile Maiden
Mabret the Virile Maiden
11 months ago

“There are only millions of them! It’s no big deal!”

MansVoice on Republicans who refuse to wear masks

11 months ago

“There are only millions of them! It’s no big deal!”

MansVoice on Republicans who refuse to wear masks

I suppose about 13 million (very roughly speaking), if you extrapolate from the data. And since ~7% of Democrats also say wearing masks is a sign of weakness, that’s about 7 million of them. And of course, there are various confounding factors, like the fact that Republicans tend to live in more rural areas where masks really are much less important, and that online liberals have decided to make the mask a partisan symbol. No one forced them to do that.

Anyway, I’m seeing the stark distinction between Good and Evil that you are. But then, you’re mindkilled.

@MansVoice

non-mask-wearing conservative is simply not a thing

Please tell that to the anti lockdown protestors.

Even if your 14% were accurate (and I have my doubts seeing as many people answer surveys a certain way to look better, as a general flaw of self reported surveys), that would still be a lot of people, as Mabret pointed out.

It wasn’t liberals who made it a partisan thing. It was conservatives who proudly refuse to wear masks and hold up signs about how God is protecting them. It is conservatives who hold anti lockdown protests.

11 months ago

Wielding AR-15s at an anti-mask rally and hanging the governor in effigy over the matter is putting in a little more effort than answering a survey.

So, again, when are you going to address my critique of your “women are shallow” “study”?

11 months ago

This objection doesn’t really make sense here, because the relevant action (mask-wearing) is itself performative. I suppose it’s possible a respondent might say that they approve of masks and then refuse to wear one when they go out… but this seems unlikely. If they’re going to cave to social pressure in an anonymous survey, they’ll almost certainly do the same when they’re actually out in public with real people. And if they wear the mask, what they “really” think about it doesn’t matter.

No, I don’t think so You had a handful of pseudo-Randian Midwesterners making jackasses of themselves, and it was covered in the liberal media/social media as if they represented some kind of mass conservative movement. They did not, and they do not – but not coincidentally, this was about when the president started publicly refusing to wear a mask. He didn’t start this. You did.

@MansVoice
And when will you finally answer all our questions on looksmatching?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ mansvoice

If they’re going to cave to social pressure in an anonymous survey,

That seems a pretty common phenomenon. Over here they call it “shy Tory syndrome”. Even with anonymised non face to face surveys people tend to give answers they feel put them in a better light “Do you think we should spend more on social programmes?” – “Of course!” – *Does tax return to ensure minimum liability*

Social pressure can be a strong influencer; but it’s a local phenomenon. If you’re in an area, or even a bunch of people, who share your views (which is often the case demographically and by way of association) there’s both the anonymity of being part of a group, which diffuses personal responsibility; and virtue signalling (in the technical sense) to feel included. So if you neighbours/friends don’t wear masks, you might not either.

@MansVoice

This is like shitting on a chess board, then when people point that out you get humiliated and say they started it. It was those who refused to wear masks that started this, not the media that reported on it.

@Naglfar

Don’t you know? Racism isn’t bad; it’s pointing out racism and putting a spotlight on it that causes true societal division. Misogyny is just a harmless thing; it’s protesting misogyny and pointing out the damage it does that causes the true harm. People don’t like being called racist or misogynist; it’s calling those things out that makes them feel bad about themselves and causes problems, not the fact that they did that racist/misogynist thing in the first place.

This is the “don’t rock the boat” argument. It misplaces blame for the boat rocking, from the person who is bouncing around and jumping up and down, to the person who, instead of busily steadying the boat, is instead pointing fingers at the bouncy disruptor.

@PoM
Sadly, a very similar argument was playing out on “dirtbag left” Twitter yesterday where a bunch of cis YouTubers were trying to claim that calling out transphobes and punishing them is more damaging to working class solidarity and leftist progress than the transphobes themselves, and that trans* people just need to live with it. This belief isn’t limited to the right wing.

@Naglfar:

You misunderstand me. The clutch of protesters may be the ultimate source of the controversy, but it’s the media/social media who covered it as emblematic of American conservatism. That is to say, it is the media (and social media) who turned mask-wearing into another partisan issue in the broader culture war. They did not have to do that.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@MansVoice

You said this, but now say the media started all this. So is someone here the media?

For a bunch of mindkilled dum-dums, this commentariat sure is powerful.

@Naglfar

No, it’s true that it’s not restricted to the rightwing. It’s common in the families of narcissists, too, regardless of political leaning, and families with incestuous rapists. The origin of the argument is that the real boat-rockers – the racist, the misogynist, the transphobe, the narcissist, the rapist – are intrinsically unreasonable people who can’t be argued out of their belief in their right to bounce aggressively up and down in the boat. Bystanders see this, and know that they can’t stop the boat-rocking by talking to an unreasonable person; the only hope of keeping the boat from capsizing is to force fundamentally reasonable people into steadying it by “keeping the peace.”

Therefore, the victims are urged and cajoled and shamed and forced into “keeping the peace” by not pointing out how injured they are by the unreasonable person’s actions. The more reasonable and accommodating the victim, the easier it is to force that victim into silence in the name of “keeping the peace.”

@Alan:

Ah, perhaps the only person on this board who is anything approaching a serious person.

A reasonable point. Still, I would counter that the “shy voter” phenomenon is probably most relevant when the relevant behavior is done anonymously, eg voting.

11 months ago

Yes, Alan, the only person posting here who has an unambiguously male name, is also the only reasonable person here. I’m sure that’s a complete coincidence.

11 months ago

I think you know exactly what I meant.

Normally I would simply ignore this sort of comment, but I thought I’d spotlight it as an example of the sort thing that disinclines me to respond to you in the future.

@MansVoice

I’d say it’s pretty emblematic when the President, the most powerful member of the Republican Party, openly supports the protests and calls for them to “liberate” the states.

Is it possible you think that because Alan is one of the people who has a typically male ‘nym?

11 months ago

I suppose it’s unsurprising that you would think this.

Naglfar, you’re not the dumbest person here by a long stretch, but I have to admit you’re testing my patience.

Viscaria
Viscaria
11 months ago

Hey, Chuckles MansVoice, you have stated that women by virtue of not dating their “looksmatches” are not being decent. You believe, though you have failed to support this belief in any way, that attractiveness is objectively measurable and therefore a given person’s looksmatch can be objectively determined. You have stated that women cannot be sexually attracted to their looksmatches; we are forced by our hypergamous natures to only feel a sexual attraction to men much more attractive than ourselves. (Or at least this holds for those of us who are attracted to men. It is unclear if you’re aware that there are women who are not sexually attracted to any men.)

My questions to you are these: Do you believe there is a manner in which women can behave decently? If so, does it necessarily involve them having sex with men who they do not want to have sex with? Can men be decent without having sex with people they don’t want to have sex with? Finally, if it is true that women can only be decent if they have sex with men they do not want to have sex with, do you propose any system by which we can convince, coerce, or force women to do the decent thing which they by definition do not want to do?

11 months ago

I assure you that Alan is not on your side, dipshit.

Who taught you to neg? That’s not a very good one.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@MansVoice

I think you know exactly what I meant.

So, either a faceless mass of people you consider The Others or Naglfar specifically, until you realized your “no, you” line was a tad schoolyard and went with the media instead? Okay.

Now that you’re done spotlighting me (thanks!), can you answer the serious questions that have been put to you?

Also, no disrespect to Alan, but I don’t think this guy would recognize a serious person if one tapped him on the shoulder. I mean, he considers himself one, and can’t seem to understand that others don’t.

@MansVoice

Was that supposed to be an insult? I’m not sure how it’s supposed to be insulting.

@PoM

Who taught you to neg?

Maybe Heartiste?

@Naglfar

Maybe Heartiste?

That grand thinker on the same level as Rene Descartes? Maybe!

@Naglfar

Not an insult nor a compliment. It was just a statement.

The “dumbest” person here – in terms of sheer inability to engage in conversation, reading comprehension issues, poor rhetorical/logic/argumentative skills, etc. – is probably WeirWoodTreeHugger. Granted, I haven’t been here too long, so maybe that view will change. Regardless, this community has a low collective intelligence; that much is obvious.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
11 months ago

I got the impression that anti-lockdown movement and anti-masking movement (inasmuch as they exist) partly consist of different people.

Much of the anti-lockdown emphasis seems to be on “freedom to live as normally as you want”, which doesn’t necessarily preclude taking personal safety measures, such as masking or social distancing (Indeed, some of the protesters have been seen wearing masks, which seems to confuse critics). Obviously, though, the movement also attracts all kinds of pandemic denialists, from conspiracy theorists to business shills to weekend warriors. Generally, people who think they can protect themselves by taking personal measures (in absence of general lockdown) are either very privileged, or misguided about the nature of the pandemic and their own ability to protect themselves.

Anti-masking movement consists of random people who hate a particular safety measure, and some pundits who seek to politicise everything about the pandemic. Apparently, if the anti-maskers ever protest publicly, they tend to do it under the anti-lockdown banner. OTOH, probably some of them support general lockdown at least tepidly. Many of them are probably pandemic denialists, while others emphasize personal freedom, or don’t believe in the usefulness of masks against COVID-19.

Edit: Whoa this thread is too fast for me to discuss anything.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I think that Man’s Whine shouldn’t be allowed to post here anymore until he answers the questions about how exactly women are supposed to go about dating their looksmatch and how objectively beauty is measured.

Or until he admits that his assertions have nothing to do with science and he’s just mad that women can choose who they do and do not date and/or have sex with.

11 months ago

Not an insult nor a compliment. It was just a statement.

The correct term is “neg.”