Uncategorized

99 Men’s Rights Redditors agree: “Femtards” don’t appreciate how much we love women

Not these particular women, though

By David Futrelle

Over on the Men’s Rights subreddit, the regulars are celebrating women — or at least that small portion of women who are willing to date Men’s Rights activists.

“Men in r/mensrights love women and many of us are in a happy relationship with a woman,” declared an MRA called zogins in a post that’s gotten more than 800 upvotes. He went on to rhapsodize about his girlfriend, whom he described as “like no one I have ever met before.” And she’s not the only good one in his book:

[T]here are lots of women out there who are nothing like the radical feminist bitches who taint the reputation of other women.

It’s a safe guess that when he refers to “radical feminist bitches” he is not talking about actual RadFems but rather every women who’s ever expressed even the mildest feminist sentiment in his general vicinity.

My girl even knows that I post on this sub but we do not go into what I write. I would have no problem if she ever asked to see what I post. But the best thing is that we respect each other’s space and we don’t do that sort of thing – prying into each other’s business.

Her deliberate ignorance of the shit he posts on r/MensRights is probably one of the main things thing keeping the relationship going, I would guess.

After all this, for some reason, zogins threw in a brief review of the 1991 film Thelma and Louise. Needless to say, he is not a fan.

A couple of nights ago we watched ‘ Thelma and Louise’. It is considered the ultimate feminist, man hating movie. My partner was the one to tell me that every man in the movie is a caricature of manhood. She told me that the film portrays Thelma and Louise as the heroes but they are the ultimate villains.

He finished up with a stirring call to action, if posting on the internet can be considered action.

It would be great to hear from other men here who have positive experiences with women – let’s destroy those man hating radical feminists by sharing happy stories!

A few Men’s Rights Redditors dutifully posted vague hosannas to their own girlfriends and wives, but there was one non-girlfriend-related reply that stood out to me — and to a lot of the subreddit regulars, who gave it nearly a hundred upvotes. It came from a fellow called vlo1:

yeah, we’re not incels, despite what 3rd [wave] femtards believe.

He later, er, clarified his remarks after it was pointed out to him that some MRAs are indeed incels:

EDIT: For clarification, I didn’t mean none of us are incels, ofc I understand some are, but not all.

But I”m more struck by the lovely term “femtards,” presumably meaning feminists.

Maybe this is just me, but I somehow find it difficult to believe that anyone who unironically refers to feminists (or women in general) as “femtards” probably is not the world’s number one respecter of women.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

LindsayIrene
LindsayIrene
11 months ago

I mean, when this is your girlfriend, she can say whatever you want.

comment image

11 months ago

I question how happy the women in those relationships are.

Or even any woman who isn’t 100% submissive. To slightly paraphrase Rebecca West, “I only know that MRAs call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute.”

That definitely happened.

let’s destroy those man hating radical feminists by sharing happy stories!

Wait, I thought feminism was already destroyed by PewDiePie by using the word “simp”. Isn’t this overkill, guys?

Honestly, “femtard” is worse than “femoid” IMO because of the added ableism. Both are dehumanizing, but the former is far more ableist.

Paireon
Paireon
11 months ago

IIRC Thelma & Louise, which I really liked back then as a teen (no idea if it holds up today, haven’t seen it in two decades), was groundbreaking in its feminism mainly by the standards of early 90s Hollywood productions; anyone more knowledgeable on the topic care to either confirm or correct me?

In any case that doof likely considers any woman character in a movie villainous/antagonistic if she behaves in any way non-subservient to the menfolk, or even worse, if she – GASP! – holds any form of authority over them and uses it (he must really hate Glenn Close and Judi Dench…).

Wouldn’t be surprised if his relationship was real, unfortunately; many women put up with far more shit from their partners than they should (my mother was with a narcissistic tool for 25 years). That or either it’s too early in the relationship for her to really notice or care, or he’s disturbingly good at hiding his real self (maybe helped by that alleged lack of prying). At least those are to my limited knowledge the most likely possibilities beyond him having a girlfriend only in his mind.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
11 months ago

This sneering at Thelma & Louise sounds like yet another reason to whine about Brad Pitt, since that was a breakout role for him.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness
11 months ago

By which he means that she doesn’t “pry” into his, and he doesn’t take much of an interest in hers.

It is considered the ultimate feminist, man hating movie.

It is? The ultimate? By whom, I wonder?

Nobody Knows the Rubble I've Seen
Nobody Knows the Rubble I've Seen

@All of you

That’s it, practice erasure towards women. No,, no woman could EVER be in a happy, loving relationship with someone that people on the left side of the fence thinks is “totes problematic, hella toxic!!!” Don’t you know, there were no women who voted fro Trump? There ARE women who don’t agree with you, and who have interests which don’t line up perfectly with yours, you know. Fuck you.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

@Naglfar

I question how happy the women in those relationships are.

Not very happy, I’d wager. The only ones who often seem happy to be shacked up with that type of toxicity are the extremely religious types, like “Transformed Wife” or “Girl Defined”. Even the Alt-Right women complain or get put off by the constant abuse.

Except maybe Kaitlin Bennett who is as big a douchebag as all of them.

@Paireon
It’s also worth noting that a lot of women have internalized misogynistic ideas like those of the Men’s Rights Movement. That could be what’s going on here (assuming his gf is real). There are even women who are MRAs (often referred to as FeMRAs) whom the male MRAs love because they say exactly what those men want to hear.

@PoM

By whom, I wonder?

Obviously by the feminist conspiracy leaders, aka the cliterati. /s

@Diego Duarte
I haven’t heard Kaitlin Bennett say anything explicitly about Thelma and Louise, but her opinions do seem to be right in line with MRAs in everything she has said.

Dalillama
Dalillama
11 months ago

Surely the ultimate man-hating movie is Fried Green Tomatoes. But that would require these jackasses to actually be aware of some aspect of pop culture beyond the most superficial googling for something to whine about.

@Dalillama
Haven’t seen that movie, but another that could qualify is the 1976 short film based on Valerie Solanas’s SCUM Manifesto. I can only imagine the meltdown MRAs would have upon discovering the manifesto itself.

Paireon
Paireon
11 months ago

@Naglfar: True, female misogyny is unfortunately a thing, with some even being rather strident in their denunciation of feminism (lookin’ at you Phyllis Schlafly and Ann Coulter). Then again by MRA “standards” I probably count as a male misandrist…

@Dalillama: Oh wow I’d forgotten about that one. I also liked it when I saw it as a teen IIRC. In any case both films probably warrant a rewatch; somehow neither ever struck me as actually “man-hating” anyway. Probably my upbringing as a pinko libtard soyboy beta simp cuck. /S

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner

@Paireon:

They’re man-hating because they occasionally portray white men as less than perfect.

@Paireon
Speaking of Phyllis Schlafly, I’ve still been meaning to watch the new show about her. I heard good things about the show, plus her son who runs Conservapedia is outraged so it must be at least somewhat decent.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte

@Naglfar

I was mostly referencing her odious personality and her knack for harassing vulnerable groups, which is right up there with MRAs toxic masculinity issues. She is one person who does not seem to mind all the toxicity spewing out from her side.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Fried Green Tomatoes is so good. It was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

I somehow didn’t notice that it really gay until I was an adult though. Even though it’s very obvious!
comment image

Totally a fuck the patriarchy movie.

ETA: It’s also anti-racism. So there’s really nothing in it that MRA types would approve of.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat
11 months ago

I can’t imagine them liking The Shape of Water, either.

Delphi
Delphi
11 months ago

Why do I get the impression this girlfriend might go to a different school we haven’t heard of before in Canada?

galanx
galanx
11 months ago

Can’t remember the name of the recent movie, but it shows a dad telling his teen daughter’s slumber party not to stay awake talking about Brad Pitt. They exchange blank looks, say “who?” and one girl finally remembers, ” you know, that old guy….”

occasional reader
occasional reader

> Man-hating
I can not wait for them to do a remix of the Weird Al Yankovik parody “White and nerdy” with all their seriousness. Something like “They see me manin’, they hatin’, i know that they think i am so white and manly”…

Talonknife
Talonknife
11 months ago

It’s not a film, but I always thought the ultimate man-hating piece of feminist media was the Dixie Chicks’ masterpiece “Goodbye Earl.”

Moggie
Moggie
11 months ago

Well, if “the ultimate feminist, man hating movie” came out nearly 30 years ago, the MRA should be celebrating that the patriarchy still mostly controls what movies get made.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
11 months ago

The ultimate? Citation needed. Also, your “girlfriend’s” head would explode if she saw Dogfight. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogfight_(film) Or One Thousand Pieces of Gold. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Pieces_of_Gold Or Hester Street. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hester_Street_(film) Or The Color Purple. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Color_Purple_(film) All of the female leads are oppressed by both the patriarchy and the cruelty of individual men. Each of them finds a way to assert herself and find happiness. These films almost made my own head explode — in a good way.

I can’t neglect to mention — and I hope your girlfriend is sitting down — I Shot Andy Warhol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Shot_Andy_Warhol The “I” of the title is the woman the manosphere loves to hate, Valerie Solanas. You know, the author of the SCUM (Society for Cutting Up Men) manifesto. Now that your girlfriend knows about this movie, I expect there will be quite a few rants about it from indignant manospherians.

Did your girlfriend ever explain why she thinks they’re villains? Also, have you noticed that she uses the word “ultimate” a lot?

Prith kDar
Prith kDar
11 months ago

OT, but every time I see “femoid” (which I assume is pronounced with a long “e” as in “feeeemale”), I can’t help but think of the sphenoid bone in the skull (the one shaped like a butterfly).

@Fishy Goat
I saw that film, and while I don’t think it was bad, I don’t necessarily think it was Oscar worthy. For the most part, it was just weird. Not quite sure why it won.

@Occasional Reader
I’d expect that their remix would be a disgrace to the original, as is every manosphere song parody. It just seems that manospherians can’t write a half-listenable song to save their lives.

@Prith kDar
Given that (at least some) manospherians are obsessed with skull shape, that is an interesting coincidence.

Not Edward
Not Edward

@Prith kDar

Not that it’s terribly important really, but I’d always assumed it was pronounced with a short ‘e’ as in “feminine”. Is anyone able to give a definitive answer, if there is one?

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner

@Kat:

[quote]Is she including the Harvey Keitel character, the tough, experienced police detective who also has a heart? That’s too bad.[/quote]

I was going to mention that too. The guy who chases their car on foot to try to stop them because he thinks women are human and redeemable is a caricature of manhood, OK.

@Not Edward

I don’t know for sure how incels pronounce it, but the custom when mocking them seems to be to use a long e as in “female.” I don’t know where this started, but I do know that that is the way ContraPoints (yes, I know) said it in her video about incels. She probably didn’t originate that pronunciation, but that’s one place I’ve heard it that would seem to validate its use.

I’ve also heard it compared to the Ferengi pronunciation of “feeemales.”

Moggie
Moggie

@Yutolia:

Bets the OP thought that character was a “simp”?

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner

@Moggie:

Oh, I’m sure! I’m guessing his TOTALLY REAL girlfriend feels the same way.

Allandrel
Allandrel
11 months ago

Speaking of man-hating media, ‘member a few years ago when the manchildren flipped their kids over the She-Ra Reboot?

It was misandrist because, among other things, the teenage lead in a show aimed at kids did not have boner-inducing boobs.

This was, of course, proof that the franchise had been taken over by SJWs, in a complete 180 from the original, that the upset Men were definitely True Fans of and was not at all a series of morality plays about love, kindness, and standing up against unjust power structures.

Well the show just concluded, and Hoo Boy their meltdowns are a sight to behold.

Paireon
Paireon
11 months ago

@Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner: To be fair the best movies about men don’t exactly show them as perfect, so I’d say it’s more that they consider any movie where a woman might be equal to or superior to a man (whether in competence, morality and ethics -barring her being both submissive and far to the “madonna” side of the madonna-whore continuum they all seem to judge women by- , rank, or whatever else) to be “man-hating”. Bonus points for showing women as three-dimensional characters instead of just plot devices. They must hate that too.

@Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile: Also, IIRC (again; like I said haven’t seen it in decades) Louise’s husband played by Michael Madsen was also a pretty decent dude, trying his best to help her overcome her past trauma, and then to convince her that it’s not too late and that she has to stop before pushing things to their logical conclusion (don’t know if that came out right…).

@Talonknife: LOL, that’s actually one of the exceedingly rare non-Johnny Cash country/western songs I like precisely because of this.

@Naglfar: Almost anything that ends up angering Andy Boy must have some redeeming qualitites at least; wouldn’t be surprised that just aiming for objectivity would earn his ire as that would likely clash with where he places his mother on the aforementionned right-wing madonna-whore continuum. And for what it’s worth I loved The Shape of Water, but then I’m a huge Del Toro fan and love weird fiction in general; maybe considering it as a sort of subversion of Lovecraft’s themes, especially The Shadow over Innsmouth and Horror at Red Hook would help? Or maybe not. Gotta admit though, Michael Shannon is great at playing the jingoistic, racist, patriarchal asshole.

sarah_kay_gee
sarah_kay_gee
11 months ago

Wow, it’s been a minute since I heard a stupid man get huffy about Thelma & Louise. That movie came out the year before I graduated high school! Truly, some idiotic misinterpretations (I assume he was in the bathroom during every single one of Harvey Keitel’s scenes) of pop culture are evergreen.

Anonymous
Anonymous
11 months ago

Apparently that complaint about Thelma and Louise was a common one at the time of its release. I also note that most people voicing said complaint did so in conservative-aligned publications, to the surprise of nobody.

@Paireon

Well, the Conservapedia article about it is unambiguous in how he feels, as is the Eagle Forum’s response page. I don’t know if Andrew created the latter, but I would guess he made the former in defense of his mother. I’m guessing she’s one of the only women he doesn’t hate.

Dalillama
Dalillama
11 months ago

It’s wierd how these chuds are aware of new media, but unless they’re specifically complaining about a new movie they never bring up any pop culture less than a quarter-century old.

11 months ago

O/T: Once again, the online left is flaming out in transphobia. Peter Coffin is declaring that we shouldn’t fire people for transphobic behavior, while this other youtuber called Kelly is spewing transphobic opinions left and right while others defend them.

I don’t know much about this Kelly person, but I would recommend unfollowing/unsubscribing if you are subscribed.

It’s very frustrating to me that the online left is so transphobic. The vast majority of trans* people hold left wing views, yet apparently it’s more important for many cishet white leftists to make Nazis and TERFs feel comfortable rather than protecting marginalized groups.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
11 months ago

Slightly O/T; but I seem to recall people were talking about how the lockdown has affected their dreams. So this might be of interest to people.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa
11 months ago

I wish these people would just leave trans people ALONE. They’re just like everybody else, with a bonus set of difficulties and no corresponding benefits to go with them, I don’t get what the big deal even is. People are so WEIRD about gender and enforcing it in weird, creepy ways.

I’m sorry cis people are being so crappy to you AGAIN, trans folks. I hope this gets better and I’ll keep trying to be a good ally.

And for what it’s worth, I don’t know what the hell their problem is either.

Demonhype
Demonhype
11 months ago

I’m fascinated by the guy who thinks “incel” is a feminist-originated slur against noble upright man-people.

@Jarnsaxa

I wish these people would just leave trans people ALONE.

Agreed. So many left wing YouTubers have waxed poetic about what great allies they are because a small number of trans* people are fans of them, yet continue to disrespect trans* people as a whole while using those people as a shield. I’d prefer if they just stayed out of this rather than trying to insert themselves like that.

I’ll keep trying to be a good ally.

Thank you.

I don’t know what the hell their problem is either.

Probably that they want to both call themselves progressives and still be bigots, and trans* people are an easy target.

@Demonhype
Well, the word was originated by a woman, but it wasn’t an insult when she created it. The misogynistic incel movement came afterwards and took the name.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@Naglfar

Regarding the former government’s inability to fix the trans law* here in Finland, I heard someone say it doesn’t even make sense to not fix a human rights issue like that, since it affects so few people it should be easy. I kind of assumed that, for a lot of politicians, the PR benefit from helping a “small” group of people is outweighed by the bigger group of people you might anger while doing so.

*IIRC the main issue discussed at the time was the mandatory sterilization if you wanted your legal sex changed. The current government said it would fix the law, but now we have this pandemic and stuff is hard.

I can’t believe last summer I was actually contemplating whether I should retire the “trans rights now!” pin from my bag if we get a better law. So much can happen in a year.

@Masse_mysteria

The real disappointment has been all the backsliding. In Hungary all legal recognition has been removed, and in the UK Equalities Minister Liz Truss is doing her best to make transition, especially for minors, much harder. And there’s more, too.

Fenny
Fenny
11 months ago

MGTOW ideology in French!

The article is a fairly standard introduction to the manosphere and the Francophone segment of it especially.

It also mentions the ‘just so stories’ science, but with the twist of ‘but that science is shitty, because we French do proper science’! (Nuclear physics presumably??)

MansVoice
MansVoice

That definitely happened.

Why is this not believable? Even if you don’t agree, this is a pretty common interpretation. At the very least, T&L clearly a film that locates the source of the female protagonists’ woes in the various male characters, who are with a few exceptions caricatures of what fembots today refer to as “toxic masculinity.”

I’ve watched the film a few times, and it is actually somewhat interesting from a Rationalist/Yudkowskyan perspective.

Scoots
Scoots

@Kat
I loved Hester Street. There are so many individual moments that are really great. The husband is SUCH an asshole. But if I remember correctly, there’s another male character whom Men’s Rights types would probably sneer at as a beta male and a “cuck.”

I once had such low self-esteem that I would put up with nearly anything just to HAVE a boyfriend. I know I’m not alone in this. I think I remember Bette Davis said she was a “failure” because she hadn’t had a successful marriage and had never had children. Our culture reinforces it. It’s sad,

@MansVoice

fembots today refer to as “toxic masculinity.”

You mean these things?
comment image

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Naglfar

That is a pretty common interpretation, I believe.

@ Anyone Familiar With This Artist
While this article is clearly reporting some more lurid rumors in which I have no interest, is there truth in that she was connected to the incel movement? I am unfamiliar with Tiny Chat and to what extent it may be like Gab or some other poison.

@Nobody Knows the Rubble I’ve Seen

Oh, I never denied that there are misogynistic women in the world or women who voted for Trump. What I and others said was that the account described sounded fishy and unrealistic. Maybe it happened, but it sounds odd.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
11 months ago

@Fenny : not sure to what you refer about science. The only point close to that is the reminder that evolutionary psychology isn’t a science.

Catalpa
Catalpa
11 months ago

Oh, I’m sure there are women out there who have perfectly idyllic relationships with dudes like this, so long as the woman remains “one of the good ones”. You know, the one who “isn’t like other girls”, who is happily ready to throw other women under the bus, who shares or at very least verbally agrees with all the beliefs and expectations the MRA holds. So long as she doesn’t step out of line, I’m sure everything is perfectly copacetic between them. And I’m sure that there are women out there who are quite happy to immerse themselves in MRA ideology. I wish them all the best of luck in finding the MRA of their dreams. The more of those that can pair off, the less the rest of us have to deal with.

I have no idea why you would think that we are unaware of women who have opposing ideology to ours. On the MRA side of things, this blog alone has had plenty of articles about Christina Hoff Summers, Cassie Jay, Candace Owens, Bettina Arndt, Judgybitch (though we haven’t heard from her in a long while), the Honey Badgers, etc. Not to mention the various TERFs and other assorted assholes who decide they’d like to attack the rights of other women. We’re well aware that women aren’t one perfectly progressive hivemind. (Not until I complete my work on The Device, at least).

But thanks for sharing! Please come with slightly more entertaining points next time if you decide you’d like to try to troll us again.

1 2 3