gender policing homophobia men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny transmisogyny transphobia

Trans women are ruining The Last of Us 2 by shrinking all the boobies, irrationally angry gamers cry

By David Futrelle

Fans of the well-loved postapocalyptic video game The Last of Us are reeling over a massive leak of information about the game’s upcoming sequel that suggests the story will be taking an exceedingly dark turn that highlights the futility of a cycle of revenge and retribution.

You’ll have to look up the spoilers yourself; I don’t want to give any more plot details.

While many fans are upset with the new direction, an angry minority has decided to blame the game’s apparently much darker plot — and everything else they think is wrong with the still-unreleased sequel — on evil SJWs for “shoving as much diversity and woke agenda at the player as possible,” as the One Angry Gamer site awkwardly put it

In particular, they’re targeting unnamed and possibly imaginary trans activists at Naughty Dog, the developer of the game, for making it (allegedly) too trans-friendly for the true fans.

Much of the ire centers around a new character named Abby, whom 4channers and others have decided is trans — or at least “trans-gendered-looking,” as One Angry Gamer has described her — because she’s small-breasted and a bit butch.

A writer at the right-wing culture war site Sausage Roll takes this argument further, arguing that the allegedly less-feminine character design in The Last of Us 2 is part of a devious plan to make the game “trans-friendly.”

“It seems … that the inclusion of gay and lesbian characters in the last three Naughty Dog games was not enough to appease the activists who are reportedly working at Naughty Dog,” wrote Sausage Roll’s Dianne Anders.

The Last of Us Part II gameplay footage leak confirms that the plot has some extreme trans rights ideologies, too. ….

Abby is the leader of [a] little gang; and, according to 4chan leaks, she is also a trans woman.

Has there ever been a less-credible source than “4chan leaks?”

The characters in The Last of Us Part II are designed in such a way to not make trans people feel uncomfortable. Every single new character introduced in the sequel does not have definitive feminine or masculine qualities.

Ellie and Dina, specifically, have been remodelled to look less feminine … .

According to an unnamed video game artist interviewed by Anders, it’s all the fault of trans women that the game’s characters don’t have massive, male-pleasing boobs. (Because what’s an apocalypse without boobs?)

“A trans woman can’t naturally grow large breasts, and not all trans people can afford implants,” the anonymous artist told Anders.

If you see a game where the women are a little less curvy, it’s not … because the game designers are worried about receiving backlash for sexualising women, it’s because they are worried about offending the trans community. …

That’s why you will see a lot of designers ‘nerfing the female form’ so to speak so that the difference between trans women and cis women is a little less noticeable.

Anders herself continues:

That might explain exactly what happened to the cis female characters in TheLast of Us Part II.

We can practically hear the gutteral cries from offended gamer dudes from around the world: TRANS WOMEN TOOK MUH BOOBIES!

This would ring true especially if one of the new protagonists is a trans woman because it would blur the line between cis and trans so people would perceive Abby simply as a female hero.

Given that she’s already seen as trans despite no evidence that she is actually trans, that seems a tad unlikely.

It’s striking how easy it is for people like Anders — and her 4chan “sources” — to conjure up a trans demon out of nothing. Because transphobia runs deep.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

@PoM
You’re right, maybe I am reading too much into this. My perception of things written by TERFs is a bit colored by the trans*-exclusionary part, so I may not be giving the most charitable interpretation.

@Naglfar

I wouldn’t necessarily advocate being charitable toward TERFs, but they are like stopped clocks in a way, and occasionally have good points when they aren’t being trans-exclusionary.

There’s nothing intrinsically TE about radical feminism. The TERFs are very loud, but trans-inclusive radical feminists are a thing, and except on trans matters they speak similar language to the TERFs. The people in r/GenderCritical are definitely TERFs, so don’t think I’m defending the subreddit. I wish I could point to a good gathering place for TIRFs, but I haven’t found one yet.

@PoM

I know, and I recognize the issue. The only subreddit that seems to bill itself as trans inclusive radical feminist is r/GenderDifficult, which is still pretty problematic (only allows women to comment, does include trans* women but only those that meet a stringent set of transmedicalist requirements).

I think a lot of radical feminists also avoid calling themselves as such because of the association with TERFs and I can’t really blame them for trying to avoid that association.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@Naglfar
I guess I went in thinking that this is probably horrible, then saw nothing wrong with the OP and waded into the comments, and since the criticism seemed valid I didn’t really think about how narrowly body positivity was being represented.

That being said, I’m not well versed in the issue and the last I heard about it was some sort of an essay saying that the movement has been monetized by the beauty industry and whatnot, so I suppose my expectations were different.

@Naglfar

It’s also not very active, so not exactly what I would consider a great example of a gathering place.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
1 year ago

So like… full disclosure I loved the first TLoU when it came out, but I’m prolly not gonna play 2 for reasons unrelated to boobs (namely, a growing aversion to violence and a long-standing disdain of bad management practices, and what little I’ve seen and heard of it is too gruesome for my tastes right now – including how ND treats it’s employees).

That said, I ask, when have boobs ever been relevant to the series ? Sex isn’t exactly a selling point of the zombieshroom apocalypse. Oh and by the way, the one time any matter of sexuality has had relevance was when people realized that Ellie likes girls. Which was it’s own fucking controversy.

I am 100% certain the people complaining about boobs now are the same ones who were complaining about lesbians in 2013.

Joel
Joel
1 year ago

The fact that any of this is being talked about tells you this game isn’t for me. Don’t need to be lectured about the fact that I like big breasts in my fantasy time. Thanks for the unwelcome judgment though!

Penny
Penny
1 year ago

Female gamer here and I’m complaining about lack of breasts on female characters as well. I’m personally sick and tired of women being uglified, and made more masculine, in games to appease ugly SJW’s and whoever else. You deranged regressives are ruining everything

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria
1 year ago

Gotta love people who show up late to the party to say that actually, one woman in one game (or even -gasp!- some women in some games) not having huge knockers will stop them from enjoying their favourite pastime, and anyone who likes to see different kinds of people represented in the media they consume are just being great big meanies and should have the decency to stop.

Because these things should obviously be decided according to what the consumers think, and only the consumers who like all the women to have big titties are real consumers.

Female gamer here

ugly SJW’s

*doubt*

Lainy
Lainy
1 year ago

Sure thing there “penny” i’m so sure about that.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

If you need big boobs that don’t obey the laws of physics in your games, you can always play one of the other billion games that feature such boobs. I mean, I don’t claim that a romcom isn’t a horror movie because horror is my favorite movie genre. I just, you know, find a horror movie to watch.

fabe
fabe
1 year ago

At least we got a bit of honesty from Joel.

Allandrel
Allandrel
1 year ago

Yes, Penny, I definitely believe that you are a real woman, and thus prove that everyone here is lying. Just like Vivian James.

@Allandrel

Just like Vivian James.

It’s been a while since I thought about Vivian James. Seems she’s mostly been superseded by an endless barrage of anime characters used as avatar images.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
1 year ago

Maybe the Voice for Pierre commandos succeeded in freeing her of servitude to the GG idiots?

And I’ll take my current favorite mobile game where only some of the PC women characters have jiggly boobs (where it makes sense to have them) and clearly different designs over yet another game where jiggly boobs is all they have on offer for their female characters, and no effort made to make them clearly different from each other.

FemcelTears
FemcelTears
1 year ago

TERFs/Femcels are like that evil jealous character in a disney story that are angry at another character for finding a ‘handsome’ character and having a happy, fulfilling relationship with him and tries to gain allies to plot against her.

Whichever one fits best, was it maybe Cinderella or Snow White? Can’t remember.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie

WWTH:

A commercial I saw once while in a theatre waiting for the movie to start:

Guy is sitting in an airplane waiting for it to take off. Girlfriend shows up and does the romance cliche of taking over the plane’s intercom and declaring her undying love to him while the crew and other passengers applaud and cry tears of joy as the lovers are reunited and leave the plane.

Later, the couple are driving down a scenic mountain road when the man starts questioning his lover about how exactly she managed to get on the plane and everything because well, there’s rules and laws and physical barriers to prevent people from performing that stunt. Her replies are essentially a ditzy ‘they…just did?’ Until she gets fed up with the constant questions, turns into a vampire-ish monster and angrily chases her scared lover out of the car and into the forest.

The commercial was for an audio book service showing what kind of stories they sell. Forgot which one, though. 🙁

Tim Lister
Tim Lister
1 year ago

Why are people questioning Penny’s declared gender? It seems a bit hypocritical considering this blog is supposed to be opposed to any misogyny in its comments.

Wolff R Bachner
Wolff R Bachner
1 year ago

I play video games for enjoyment. my criteria are good storytelling, good gameplay and good graphics. I have never played a game for politics. As the recently retired Editor in Chief of a mainstream news website, the last thing I want in my recreational activities is more politics and stress.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@Tim Lister
I can’t say why people questioned it, but I found it strange that she led with that info, or actually brought it up at all, since it didn’t seem relevant. Though in my eyes it looks suspect mostly because it is posted right under Joel’s comment and I can’t shake the feeling that those were maybe posted by the same person.

@Wolff
How are we supposed to deduce your stance on the issue of titties from that information?

1 year ago

Why are people questioning Penny’s declared gender?

Let’s say I’m playing the odds. Someone rails about “ugly SJWs” – is this person someone who identifies as female? or is it someone who identifies as male but who is taking a page from 4chan? Hmmm …

Yes, because it’s misogyny to identify false flags. Feminism is notoriously all about being a naive lamb.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I don’t really see how you can separate good storytelling from politics. It’s pretty hard, if not impossible to tell a story that has nothing political in what it tells, what it shows, and what it omits.

It’s too bad that all the gamer bros who are supposedly so dead set against politics in games are so against the casual games. When I want to escape politics, I play a match 3 or do online jigsaws. AKA not real, very bad games.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 year ago

@Wolff R Bachner : you very probably played most of your games for politics. Hecks, the best videogames are all ultra-politized. FF from 4 onward, Baldur Gate, Planescape Torment, Civilization, all the Call of duty and their clones, among other are highly politicized games. (it’s actually extremely hard to find a game who is non politic. Generally, when asked, people point some of the most hilariously political game like the aforementioned Call of Duty)

Generally speaking, “I don’t want politic in my games” just mean “I don’t want politic that I disagree with in my games”.

1 year ago

Is anyone else getting GamerGate “NotYourShield” vibes from all the drop by commenters in this thread?

@Ohlmann

It goes beyond games as well, a lot of conservatives immediately brand anything that they disagree with as overly political while not caring when things they like are political.

@Trolls

You know what’s misogynistic? Making misogynistic arguments in bad faith, no matter what your gender.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Ohlmann

(it’s actually extremely hard to find a game who is non politic.

There’s loads of them, but as WWTH points out the vast majority are ‘casual’ games. Any of the myriad of matching games (e.g. Candy Crush), solitaire card games, Tetris clones, bubble shooters, etc.

Lainy
Lainy

@naglfar

I questioned it because I have never heard a woman. Cis or trans. Call themselves female and not woman girl lady gal, anything that doesn’t identify themselves as a human female. Mysongist dickbags that are just dickbags or pretending to be a woman or girl will call themselves female or call women and girls female because they don’t count them as a human just a female animal. So thats why i doubt penny is a woman. Trans, cis or others wise.

Fabe
Fabe

@Ohlmann

Yup make a ‘call of duty’ game with a story centered around defending Trumps wall against Mexican drug cartel terrorists and you won’t hear apeep from the no politics crowd .

@Lainy
I’m suspicious of Penny as well. It was a key part of GamerGate that gaming dudebros had sockpuppets posing as women or PoC to deflect allegations of sexism or racism. My comment was calling out Penny and the other drive bys, not the regulars.

The only women I’ve seen call themselves females outside of medical contexts are TERFs, who like to call themselves “Adult Human Females” because of their commitment to sex essentialism. Then again, I think a lot of TERF accounts claiming to be women are actually men sockpuppeting for the same reasons as GGers.

contrapangloss
contrapangloss
1 year ago

I sometimes call myself female, because most of the other descriptors don’t fit.

I’m not a kid, and don’t like being called girl, girly, gal and the like.

I’m not particularly ladylike, so my lady, ma’am, and whatnot just feel really, really, really weird.

I don’t really feel like a “Woman” because that either feels like a descriptor of a real adult or something weird and it just doesn’t fit. Like, I usually end up going with woman instead of female, but it still just doesn’t feel great.

So, female works for me. Former EMT and biology BS, so I got desensitized. Still, 80-90% of the time anyone else uses female as a descriptor online, I still imagine a Ferengi (Star Trek) saying it? And feel strong “this person is being odd” vibes.

Super hypocritical of me, I know.

Idk.

My trolldar is notoriously weak, but Penny is lighting it up like a neon billboard.

Tl;dr: I’m a female who describes themselves as female, and I STILL am suspicious of people who describe themselves as female online.

Heythereguys
Heythereguys
1 year ago

Just wanna leave a quick note.
Nobody (and I mean NOBODY) cared about tits in this game. People had a problem with the story being garbage and pandering to a group that won’t buy the game anyways.

Fabe
Fabe

@Heythereguys

Got any proof outside of 4chan that there is any pandering going on? becauses all we see is guys looking at a character that doesn’t fit their narrow idea of ‘female’ and coming to the conclusion that she must be trans.

@Heythereguys

Nobody (and I mean NOBODY) cared about tits in this game.

Except for those who came all the way here to say they did, and many others.

Got a source other than the rectum?

1 year ago

a group that won’t buy the game anyways

Trans people: known to never play video games?

pandering

There’s a lot to unpack in just this one word!

I’m going to laugh my ass off when Abby turns out to not be trans at all and all this 4chan theorizing turns out to be the usual garbage that comes off the site.

But let’s say that Abby does turn out to be a trans character. When are you going to express your anger at all the games that pander to straight cis white men? If a character existing in a game = pandering to the group that looks the same, then most games pander to straight cis white men. Is pandering only bad when it’s not pandering to YOU specifically? Or is all pandering bad?

If you think pandering is automatically bad, then literally every game that has a character in it panders to some group(s) and the only non-pandering games are ones like Candy Crush and Tetris that don’t have characters. That means that Candy Crush is morally superior to every AAA game out there, and you should probably confine yourself to that style of game so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities with pandering.

@PoM

Trans people: known to never play video games?

Though I myself don’t play video games much, most of the trans* people I know IRL and online do play them. There may be a sampling bias at play, but it seems trans* people play games just as much as cis people, if not more.

That sound you just heard was the collective sound of a thousand GamerGaters exploding with rage.

@ POM

the only non-pandering games are ones like…Tetris

I don’t know if there was any pandering in Tetris; but it was certainly political. Both internally with the game, and externally with the marketing.

The fact it was marketed is itself political. It was meant to be marketed by Elektronorgtechnica; a state agency specifically set up to monetise games. There were all sorts of shenanigans about contracts and Nintendo and stuff.

The USSR had had video games previously. But they were government designed ones. The games promoted the military, healthy pursuits, and Russian culture.

But the Russian government liked the idea that the game was good PR abroad, and also promoted mathematical thinking, And it’s hard to imagine any game more Russian themed; even the music!

contrapangloss
contrapangloss

@Alan:

I did not know that. Cool!

Back on Topic:

My dearest Heythereguys,

If no one cared about Abby’s appearance and all the rage is about pandering, then why the hell are they complaining about the appearance they care nothing about?

Instead of the ‘weak pandering plotline’ that they supposedly are angry about?

I am confused.

…that was facetious.

If you were correct in your premise, you’d be better equipped to offer specifics about what exactly constitutes or demonstrates pandering or weak plotting instead of the general hand waving of:

“ignore these very boob specific diatribes! It’s not about the boobs! It’s the PANDERING!!!

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

Look, sometimes I just want a nice, relaxing time struggling to survive against waves of zombies in an end of the world scenario. I don’t want to be reminded that certain ordinary people exist, because that’s politics and stressful.

@Alan Robertshaw

I kid about Tetris, of course. Tetris has the greatest, most complex and deep character of any video game: the straight-line piece.

@ POM

the straight-line piece.

Yeah; and why isn’t there a queer-line piece! It’s like everyone has been saying; all games are political. But that idea of complexity in simplicity is something I ponder every now and then.

I do like Tetris though. Never played it; but can watch and listen to it for ages (I’m very easily entertained).

1 year ago

Yeah; and why isn’t there a queer-line piece!

Maybe all the others are queer in some way! And only that one is not …

You’re familiar with the Game of Life, I assume.

@PoM

You’re familiar with the Game of Life, I assume.

Conway’s? That one occasionally makes shapes reminiscent of Tetris, but not as often as some other cellular automata I’ve seen.

@ POM

You’re familiar with the Game of Life, I assume.

Ooh, now there’s a blast from the past. Played that on a Commodore PET! Now, you’ve got me on a hunt for a web based version! See you in four months.

@Alan

If it takes you 4 months to find a web-based Game of Life, I worry for you, lol.

1 year ago

I cannot tell you how happy this makes me. On a real flashback. I can even smell the room. Computers seemed like functional magic then.

@ POM

If it takes you 4 months to find a web-based Game of Life, I worry for you, lol

I’m old school; I insist on finding it with Alta Vista! 😀

@Alan Robertshaw
In case you want to save some time, have a link.

Of course, if you want to go really old-school, you’ll have to find a book of BASIC programs and type it into an interpreter. I have a few of those books lying around, maybe there’s a version of Life in one of them.

@ naglfar

Cheers for that; amazingly I had actually managed to find it. I also now know there’s a board game of the same name.

type it into an interpreter

It’s a real nostalgia trip tonight.

There was a magazine called Computer & Video Games. As well as articles it featured BASIC programmes for different machines for you to type in. It would take ages, and there’d be lots of de-bugging. But the anticipation was fantastic, and the sense of completion once you got it working. Having done that I’d then never play the game again.

@Alan Robertshaw

I also now know there’s a board game of the same name.

There is, and I’ve played it. I personally didn’t enjoy it much, and it has nothing to do with Conway’s version, but YMMV.

Since I have some computers around that still run BASIC, I might try to get Life up and running later if I get a chance. Or maybe I’ll try to run it on a TI-84. This website has code for it in dozens of languages if anyone is interested.

A. Noyd
A. Noyd
11 months ago

Policy of Madness says:

Except the Candy Crush games do have characters. And even little storylines.