bad science coronavirus gender policing genocide is good actually men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misanthropy misogyny reddit soyboys

Zinc-obsessed MGTOW thinks it would be “hilarious” if the coronavirus killed off “Soy Boys,” vegans and the elderly

Soy Latte: Drink of death?

By David Futrelle

One of Reddit’s Men Going Their Own Way, a gentleman known as Donald-Hump-Jr, has convinced himself that zinc is the magical coronavirus cure-all, and that everyone who doesn’t have enough of the magical mineral in their system will likely die from the virus.

This last bit, evidently, makes Mr. Hump happy.

If Coronavirus is really hurting those with Zinc deficiency (old people, high carb diets, Soy Boys, possibly vegan), wouldn’t it be hilarious if all those who eat red meat (high levels of Zinc absorption/retention) remained at the end?

I am no expert at this, but would it be a great male reset if all this virus was due to poor eating habits that created a generation of pussified men?

Yes, what better punishment for eating a lot of vegetables than horrific death?

Setting aside Mr.. Hump’s inhumanity for a moment, his zinc fetish isn’t borne out by the scientific evidence. It’s true that one of the results of zinc deficiency is a weakened immune system, which could leave those without enough zinc especially susceptible to pneumonia. But zinc deficiency is relatively rare in the developed world — in which Mr. Hump presumably lives — and can be remedied with supplements and relatively small changes in diet. If zinc deficiency does indeed make getting the coronavirus a bigger risk, the people it’s going to hurt aren’t western “soy boys” but poor people in the developing world, where zinc deficiency is much more common.

Also, “soy boys” aren’t really a thing; memes aside, there really isn’t a subculture of “pussified men” whose pussification is due to the excessive intake of soy. Meanwhile, vegans, who do run the risk of zinc deficiency, don’t need to start eating red meat; they can instead add things like sprouts, baked beans and wholegrain bread to their diet, if they don’t eat them already. (Soybeans are actually high in zinc; it just doesn’t absorb well.)

And if Mr. Hump really thinks that high doses of zinc are some sort of coronavirus cure — as he seems to suggest — he should think again. While zinc can help to shorten the length of a cold, it doesn’t help with flu, and too much zinc can cause an assortment of health problems and potential drug interactions.

So, no, there won’t be a “great male reset,” and drinking a soy latte won’t mark you for death.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ romaine

The most common theory to explain that is, that the places where people survived it in the 14th century had at least some form of adaption to the bacteria.

There’s been some interesting research that suggest the Black Death may have caused selection pressure for the mutation that confers immunity to HIV.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@Romaine-la-Prophétesse
In historical contexts, I can see the logic of blaming outgroups for diseases. If you don’t know what causes a disease, you’ll start spitballing and anything can happen, particularly if you already blame a certain group for everything else.

But in this day an age, it’s just disingenuous to blame refugees for Covid-19, especially since all the the things I’ve heard anti-immigration peeps say about closing borders is just about keeping out the refugees and non-white people. As far as I know, nothing they’ve campaigned for would have prevented Finns from travelling abroad and coming back, or even immigration of professionals from “acceptable countries” like Sweden of the UK (provided they’d be white enough).

@Masse_Mysteria

I’m not sure I’m glad I now know there’s at least one person out there just waiting for any excuse and a “permission” to go out an kill anyone they don’t deem the right kind of people.

I don’t know about elsewhere, but in America there are quite a few conservatives who stock up on guns with the very-thinly-veiled implication that they are just waiting to kill the people they don’t like.

Romaine-la-Prophétesse
Romaine-la-Prophétesse
7 months ago

Of course it is, but it already was in 1918. Those people imagine the bodies of the outgroup either als inherently more dirty and diseased as their own “strong and healthy” ones. Or if they are against biological racism but open to that allmost liberal-paternalistic racism, see the other as just not on the same “cilicational level” – ehere they could be hygenic. In both lines of thinking disease in refugee camps is not because of the horrific conditions there, but inherently the fault of the refugees and will inevitable be spread in white countries if those people are allowed to enter.

@Naglfar:
not only in the US. Last year a small group, that included policemen and even ex members of the militarys anti-terror special forces where arrested in germany. They had stockpiled weapons and drawn up kill lists of left-leaning politicians ans activists that they wanted to murder in the event of some kind of state of emergency.

It’s the main reason, why I’ve heard US-anarchists and Marxist talking about arming themselfes to be able to protect vulnerable communities in such an event.

Bojo_corpseman
Bojo_corpseman
7 months ago

“I absolutely despise the guy, but as someone who has gone through respiratory distress herself (but mine was a embolism in both lungs) I wouldn’t wish that suffering on anyone.”

That’s the problem with the left today. Just haven’t got that killer instinct.

Sing it with me now, boys and girls.

NANANANA-NANANANA
HEY-EY-EY
GOODBYE!

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
7 months ago

OT: my cousin died of alcohol poisoning last night

Victorious Parasol

Yutolia, I’m so sorry.

Amy R.
Amy R.

Zinc, come back!

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
7 months ago

Thanks, Vicki. I’m kind of calming down now, but this is going to be hard. She was 24. My family can’t admit that it is incredibly dysfunctional and this didn’t just come out of nowhere.

Ooglyboggles

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@Bojo_dumbcorpse

You first.

Seriously, piss off.

@Fishy Goat
Too bad he chose that name; I enjoyed BoJack Horseman (though I certainly do not like Boris Johnson).

TacticalProgressive
TacticalProgressive

@Bojo_corpseman

That’s the problem with the left today. Just haven’t got that killer instinct.

That isn’t something to be proud of. Besides: aren’t your ilk always waffling on about how so called “bleeding heart liberals” are also at the same time “violent communist anarchists” or some nonsense?

Than again: I don’t expect logical, rational or moral consistency from political right wingers, at least not on average as an aggregate body.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@Yutolia, that’s awful, I’m so sorry for you and your family. And the current context makes everything even more difficult.

@Big Titty Demon (haha, I love that nym)

I think it depends on the context. I am not an expert 😉 … but I’ve noticed that many academic people, when speaking of a nearly-related field to their actual field of expertise will preface with “I am not an expert, but” as a sort of catchall disclaimer to prevent snippy jerks from getting verbal one-ups on them if they mistake some knowledge or have an error in logic in conversation.

You’re absolutely right of course – and it’s interesting that people who do actually know stuff are usually the first to admit the limits of that knowledge, whereas manospherians…

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Also, sorry for the double post, but speaking of poor remedies for illness as we kind of are in this thread…
You’ve all seen Trump pushing that chloroquine treatment for COVID-19 lately, despite the clear dangers?
I saw a report via Twitter that one of his donors is linked to a company that makes it, and there’s been some pushing from their direction. Literally huge if true 🙁
(this may already be old news for you all, in which case consider me embarrassed in advance, lol)

Robert Baden
Robert Baden
7 months ago

I think people confuse concepts of herd immunity with what happens with diseases that were not virgin field epidemics.
I’m old enough to have had measles. When I had it my parents had had it a decade or two before, so they could take care of me. With a virgin field epidemic they might have been sick at the same time and unable to care for me.
I think diseases like measles would “burn themselves out” until a large enough group of children was born to allow it to spread again.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
7 months ago

@Mish : and I am ashamed my country (France) did not arrest the wanker behind that rumor. I am not surprised that Trump continue to push his interest before anything else.

@Yutolia : that’s sad and indeed I hope your family will take the hint.

@Bojo_corpseman : nobody actually need to be aggressive. A lot of people confuse being aggressive and being strong, which is why the righter tend to be so comically ineffective, since they aren’t strong enough to get shit done and are aggressive enough to kill each other.

occasional reader
occasional reader

> Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Condolences.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@Yutolia
So sorry about your cousin. Hope you and yours all the best.

@Romaine-la-Prophétesse
Thanks for reminding me about the hygiene angle. I hadn’t thought of it that way. I didn’t think the blaming the outgroup thing applied with the comment I mentioned earlier, since Covid’s spread has been so well documented, but of course you can’t expect bigots to care about reality.

@Bojo_corpseman

That’s the problem with the left today. Just haven’t got that killer instinct.

And the problem with you is that you think empathy is weakness. Seems like recipe for a miserable life.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
7 months ago

@Yutolia, I’m very sorry, that’s awful. I hope you are all right.

@Mish, what a surprise that would be!!!! /s

@bojo, piss off.

Nanny Oggs Bosom
Nanny Oggs Bosom

@ Yutolia

My condolences on your loss.

I don’t know how close you were to her, but I have some measure of understanding of the level of loss when a cousin dies. In 2004 my cousin was in a terrible car accident, we thought he was dead but he recovered for the terrible injuries. For a few days I felt like the world had ended, my pain of grief and what my poor, poor surviving cousin, my aunt and uncle must have been feeling. I wouldn’t wish that pain on anyone, not even Boris Johnson. I am so so sorry your family couldn’t see how dysfunctional they are, and for the pain you must be dealing with now.

@Masse_mysteria

That belief seems to be very common among the far right as a component of toxic masculinity. In this particular instance, though, I think Bojo here is probably a dirtbag leftist, seeing as dirtbag leftists also hate compassion and empathy.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
7 months ago

@Naglfar : he did said he though it was a leftist problem, so I vote for MRA.

Not that it’s terribly important. He is one of thoses people who will never get anything done, and will just spread toxicity wherever.

@Ohlmann
It’s possible this is an MRA, but they said “the left today,” which implies that they were complaining about the current state of the left, which dirtbag leftists do often. Therefore, I’m inclined to think this is a dirtbag leftist.

7 months ago

OT: Remember Aella and her thoughts on trans* people from a few months ago? Well, she has some more bad takes (Cw: transphobia).
TL;DR is she refuses to view trans* folx (especially non-binary folx, whom she calls “genderpeople”) as their genders and wants to tell them that.

Sheila Crosby
7 months ago

@Yutolia So sorry about your cousin.

Yes, people like blaming outsiders for disease. My husband got grief from one of his coworkers for having a foreign wife, and therefore being a risk factor for bringing COVID-19 to work. This in spite of the fact that I haven’t left the island since October and the coworker’s wife works at the hospital. Oh and two other coworkers had a trip to Italy.

Of course plenty of other people put up with far worse bigotry. I’ll just put him in a story sometimes and maybe just kill him horribly (only in fiction of course). One advantage of no tour guiding work is that I’m getting more writing done.

Victorious Parasol
7 months ago

Sharing some good news – I have some Twitter buddies who are nurses in the NY/NJ area, and this week they’ve had a couple patients successfully extubated and discharged home to finish their recovery.

YEAH.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I’m so sorry, Yutolia.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@Naglfar
Gotta love the “you can’t change your gender because that’s how the society sees you”. I can understand if someone goes around saying that no one can change their biology, but to say that we can’t change society? No wonder there’s no universal suffrage and slavery is still legal and all that.

@Masse_mysteria

you can’t change your gender because that’s how the society sees you

So if gender is solely based on perception, then does that mean that butch women are men? I know several butch lesbians who regularly get mistaken for men. So much for “we can always tell.”

but to say that we can’t change society?

I’ve actually seen TERFs flip this and demand that trans* women somehow force men to not assault us in men’s restrooms and to reduce gender roles to reduce dysphoria. This obviously makes no sense because a) we aren’t men and b) that puts it on us to not be assaulted, which is classic victim blaming. I fully support reducing stereotyped and enforced gender roles (and TERFs definitely do not support that), but that doesn’t eliminate dysphoria. Even if I lived in a society where there were no gendered expectations of roles, I would still want to transition because of body-related dysphoria, and I would assume many other trans* people feel the same.

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

@ Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner:

All sympathies

Bakunin
Bakunin

@Naglfar
Seems like a lot of words for a circular argument. “I don’t think trans folk are their gender, so they aren’t.”
And what’s up with folks confusing GNC folks and trans folks?

@Bakunin

And what’s up with folks confusing GNC folks and trans folks?

I think it’s that TERFs hate both, so they conflate them together so they can smear both with the same brush. They do the same thing with trans* women and drag queens.
TERFs see anything that challenges an enforced binary dichotomy of male and female as a threat. GNC people, while not crossing or directly challenging the binary, make it harder for TERFs and patriarchal conservatives to place everyone in neat boxes of male vs. female on sight.

Of course, once in a while TERFs will pay lip service to (some) GNC folks because they think that if they pretend to like butch lesbians there will be less trans* men (an argument wrong on multiple levels). They still hate them, as House of Lords member Ruth Hunt disscussed here.

Lainy
Lainy

@Yutolia

I’m sorry for your lost. If you, yourself struggle with any substance abuse problems, I can link you to some resources that helped me greatly if the grief and situation is taking a toll on you.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@Naglfar

I’d also like to know where I fit in this model. As an adult, I’ve gone to a school where the majority of people I came in contact with assumed I was a guy, and then worked at a job where majority of people assumed I was a woman.

Maybe it’s just that

I

didn’t change my gender, but the people around me did? Or maybe I should try to step up my androgyne game so that people don’t reach consensus and I can exist without gender?

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
7 months ago

Ontario may be nearing the peak now. New cases over 11% consistently for a while, but only around 8% the last two days.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

OT:

Survived another retail shift. Have to wear health masks and sanitize, entire thing is like Black Friday.

Worst is that store isn’t even essential it’s a craft store but CEO claims it’s “essential.”

Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged
Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged

@Ooglyboggles

..What.

I’m hunkered down here at home with husband unit. His job is “essential” but at least the nature of it is such that he can VPN in and do it that way. Fortunately we are both introverts so the cabin fever is reasonably minimal.

My job as a hardware cashier is also “essential”, but I’m taking sick and vacation time through at least the 20th. At least my place of work had enough decency to offer two extra weeks of sick time, more for those in vulnerable groups. Contractors gotta get stuff ‘cos they’re still contracting, I understand them. You need a lightbulb or Drano or a plumbing part and make it quick, good. But every brainless dipshit and their family was treating it like a staycation instead of a pandemic and buying everything in groups and thinking it’s a GREAT time to redo their goddamn floor. My own safety is one thing, but putting my diabetic husband at risk so Karen and her three spawn can touch and breathe over everything and act like entitled hellbeasts because we’re undermanned and don’t have sanitizer yet? Fuck that. I’m not putting my family’s health and lives at risk so some CEO can rake in a bigger bonus later on this year any more than necessary.

Also, the internet is utter shit and I can’t play MMOs as a result and every trip to the grocery store feels like Mission: Impossible meaning I’m rationing my ice cream stores for myself like whoa. I am a grumpy Dakry.

Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged
Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged

@Yutolia

I’m very sorry to hear about your cousin. 🙁

(Sorry about the OTness of the prior post, I got my comment threads mixed up.)

Allandrel
Allandrel

@Yutolia

I am so sorry.

Nequam
Nequam
7 months ago

@Oogly: you have the bad luck to work for those thieves and pseudo-Christian assholes known as Hobby Lobby?

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged
@Nequam
Sort of yeah.

Bojo_corpseman
Bojo_corpseman
7 months ago

I can’t speak for other dirtbag leftists, but I personally value compassion and empathy very highly. That’s why I hate seeing them wasted on people who have none in themselves.

Anonymous
Anonymous

@Bojo_corpseman

Spoken like a true hypocrite.

Lainy
Lainy
7 months ago

@Boso the dead clown over here

Wow man, you sound like batman villain, but not a good one like joker, more like Riddler territory. Or the creepy little scientist that turns into manbat.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
7 months ago

@Bojo : you don’t know what compassion and empathy are, then.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Yutolia
I’m so sorry to hear that your cousin died. What a tragic end to a young life. Stay strong.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Bojo

That’s the problem with the left today. Just haven’t got that killer instinct.

Sing it with me now, boys and girls.

NANANANA-NANANANA