bad science coronavirus gender policing genocide is good actually men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misanthropy misogyny reddit soyboys

Zinc-obsessed MGTOW thinks it would be “hilarious” if the coronavirus killed off “Soy Boys,” vegans and the elderly

Soy Latte: Drink of death?

By David Futrelle

One of Reddit’s Men Going Their Own Way, a gentleman known as Donald-Hump-Jr, has convinced himself that zinc is the magical coronavirus cure-all, and that everyone who doesn’t have enough of the magical mineral in their system will likely die from the virus.

This last bit, evidently, makes Mr. Hump happy.

If Coronavirus is really hurting those with Zinc deficiency (old people, high carb diets, Soy Boys, possibly vegan), wouldn’t it be hilarious if all those who eat red meat (high levels of Zinc absorption/retention) remained at the end?

I am no expert at this, but would it be a great male reset if all this virus was due to poor eating habits that created a generation of pussified men?

Yes, what better punishment for eating a lot of vegetables than horrific death?

Setting aside Mr.. Hump’s inhumanity for a moment, his zinc fetish isn’t borne out by the scientific evidence. It’s true that one of the results of zinc deficiency is a weakened immune system, which could leave those without enough zinc especially susceptible to pneumonia. But zinc deficiency is relatively rare in the developed world — in which Mr. Hump presumably lives — and can be remedied with supplements and relatively small changes in diet. If zinc deficiency does indeed make getting the coronavirus a bigger risk, the people it’s going to hurt aren’t western “soy boys” but poor people in the developing world, where zinc deficiency is much more common.

Also, “soy boys” aren’t really a thing; memes aside, there really isn’t a subculture of “pussified men” whose pussification is due to the excessive intake of soy. Meanwhile, vegans, who do run the risk of zinc deficiency, don’t need to start eating red meat; they can instead add things like sprouts, baked beans and wholegrain bread to their diet, if they don’t eat them already. (Soybeans are actually high in zinc; it just doesn’t absorb well.)

And if Mr. Hump really thinks that high doses of zinc are some sort of coronavirus cure — as he seems to suggest — he should think again. While zinc can help to shorten the length of a cold, it doesn’t help with flu, and too much zinc can cause an assortment of health problems and potential drug interactions.

So, no, there won’t be a “great male reset,” and drinking a soy latte won’t mark you for death.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Victorious Parasol
7 months ago

I know that if I hear certain public figures die from COVID-19, I will find it difficult to mourn them. But I’m not gonna rejoice in it.

7 months ago

FWIW I have some zinc cough drops which I use when I’m sick, plus I take vitamin supplements.
IIRC having more than needed of most vitamins doesn’t confer much in the way of benefits, unless you are deficient it won’t make much of a difference. Linus Pauling towards the end of his life believed that massive amounts of vitamin C would make him live forever, but he was wrong.

I don’t think MGTOWs have noticed that their peer group—that is, conservatives—are the ones who are refusing to social distance so they can “own the libs” and who are insisting on going to church. If they want to avoid getting sick, maybe they should think about actually following social distancing recommendations.

rv97
rv97
7 months ago

Why do they hate the elderly? Do they really think they’re a burden? It’s generally people older than like 40 or 50 who tend to share values similar to theirs too, so if all the old people died, there wouldn’t be pricks like the Republicans who depend on people like the elderly to stay in power.

Specialffrog
Specialffrog
7 months ago

This guy must have really liked the fake PSA in that one Simpsons episode.

“Come back, zinc!”

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
7 months ago

Soy appears to actually boost immunity…

7 months ago

Omg – if the whole world would be “vegan soyboys” we wouldn’t have so many diseases that jumped from animals to humans, including this one. Without factory farming, there would be much less antibiotics-restitant bacteria, making it far more easy to treat the secondary infections…

I’m not even vegetarian that is pretty clear to anyone who understands how having many animals in cramped spaces, close to humans affects diseases.

gijoel
gijoel
7 months ago

Somehow I feel that if this jackass dies, it’ll probably be alone.

Anna
Anna
7 months ago

Environment contaminated by synthetic estrogen is actually a thing. And it’s not from soybean, but plastic.
Quite contrary to caim that using alternatives to plastic bags is unmanly…

@gijoel
Though isn’t that kind of the goal of MGTOW—to die alone? It sounds much grimmer that way, but if they want to avoid relationships and families that usually means dying alone.

varalys the dark
7 months ago

I’m vegan. Sometimes my diet is trash, because I’m in it for the ethics not the health. So I take a zinc supplement, £1 for a bottle of sixty 10mg tablets. Easy peasy, well over daily zinc RDA.

Rahu
Rahu
7 months ago

@Naglfar – I’ve talked with a few proud MGTOWs. What they actually mean by leaving women is leaving Western women. They always either have or are about to get (or both) wives and mistresses that are from the “pure, unsullied by feminism” places – Central and South America, most of Asia and Russia and former states of the Soviet empire. Basically, anywhere that’s poor. (The poverty angle is just something I’ve noticed, not something they will ever admit to.)

Moogue
Moogue
7 months ago

There was actually a rumor going around social media a few weeks ago that Cold-eez was the magic bullet cure for COVID19, since zinc inhibits the replication of the other coronaviruses that infect humans (Covid19 is actually closely related to the viruses that cause colds and not closely related to the virus that causes the flu). Snopes even wrote about it!

Still we’re talking about bathing the back of your throat in something that may have antiviral properties, we’re not a talking about some dudebro’s fad diet. Considering that a very heavy red meat consumption is associated with several medical conditions that would make COVID19 all the more lethal, I’m not putting my money on their health if they’re anything over 40.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Men generally eat more meat than women do. So how does Mr. Zinc explain that the death rate from Covid-19 is higher in men? I really doubt most of the older men who died of it are vegans.

Moogue
Moogue
7 months ago

Men generally eat more meat than women do. So how does Mr. Zinc explain that the death rate from Covid-19 is higher in men […]

FeMiNiSM

@Rahu
I think there’s also a racial fetishism angle: they want the waifu caricature, not a real person.

@Moogue
Unfortunately, TERFs discovered this fact and now won’t stop harassing trans* women online by telling us we’re all going to die.

Moggie
Moggie

@varalys the dark:

I’d be careful about that. Excessive zinc can kill your sense of smell. I read about an incident in Australia some years back where a large number of people suffered permanent loss of smell, thanks to an unregulated supplement which contained far too much zinc.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
7 months ago

1. Zinc by itself can’t penetrate cells. In order to ferry zinc into cells, you need to also be taking a zinc ionophore (quercetin, ECGC, chloroquine).
2. Zinc isn’t only found in meat. Plenty of vegan-friendly foods are also rich in zinc.
3. The immune system is very complex and varies from individual to individual. Zinc plays a role, but it’s not the one weird trick that’s going to protect you.
3. Red meat consumption is linked to heart disease, inflammation and type 2 diabetes, all of which are risk factors for adverse COVID-19 outcomes.
4. If anyone’s likely to survive this, it’s people who follow the healthy soyboy diet that’s being sneered at here.
5. You know who else is super at risk? People who think they’re invincible because of age, diet, and/or sheer manliness.

I am no expert at this

No argument here.

@gijoel – Unfortunately, just about everyone who’s dying of this disease is dying alone. Family aren’t being allowed in the ICUs.

varalys the dark
7 months ago

@Moggie: Cheers, but I should be fine. I use an app to track my nutrient intake so if I am having a bad zing day, I pop one. it’s recommended vegans get a little more than the normal RDA (like 4mg over ten normal) because of absorption issues.

As for magic cures for COVID, I hear Forsithya is looking promising*

*hi five anyone who gets that obscure reference.

@Buttercup

Also people who follow social distancing, which MGTOWs and their ilk take pride in flouting.

@varalys
Regrettably, conservatives here actually think Jesus will cure them of COVID, and 14 states are allowing Easter services (and in other state sim sure people will do it illegally). I expect a massive spike in cases within the next few weeks as a result. Avoid conservatives even more than usual.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Why is it that almost everyone who starts a sentence with “I am no expert in this” then goes on to act as if they were?

It’s like a massive red flag for Dunning-Kruger syndrome.

I’ve not had much time to be here lately, but I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy – and coping with quarantine! The govt has really cracked down on social distancing rules here, and also shocked us all by actually helping people (e.g doubling unemployment benefits, banning evictions, offering financial help to casual workers, and so on).

varalys the dark
7 months ago

@Naglfar Thankfully I am in the UK which has deemed church services non essential. And we don’t have those mega churches with pastors who’ll defy the law. Every service is streamed online here now.

Also bit of news, Boris Johnson has been admitted hospital after ten days suffering from coronavirus. I absolutely despise the guy, but as someone who has gone through respiratory distress herself (but mine was a embolism in both lungs) I wouldn’t wish that suffering on anyone. So I hope he recovers, same as his pregnant girlfriend who is also infected. (He probably shouldn’t have been shaking hands with COVID patients as late as early March, whoopsie).

@Varalys

we don’t have those mega churches with pastors who’ll defy the law

Consider yourself lucky, those will be disease breeding grounds this year.

Was that part of his “herd immunity” plan? And is he still doing that plan?

galanx
galanx

@Rahu

Yeah, as a man married to a Taiwanese woman living in Taiwan, I know a lot of Western men who believed in the stereotype of the submissive Asian woman who have been rather rudely disillusioned.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
7 months ago

I hope Boris Johnson recovers, too, and emerges with more humility and self-awareness. And has anyone heard from Rand Paul lately? He’s gone radio silent since testing positive.

In other news, Maine’s governor announced today that gun shops are considered essential and will stay open during the crisis. Essential for what, I don’t know. It’s not even hunting season. Are people planning to shoot at the virus with nanobullets?

Now that the apocalypse has finally arrived, guns, military gear, and martial arts training have turned out to be laughably irrelevant. Instead, the most vital survival skills have been things like sewing, cooking, teaching, growing food, baking, and tending the sick. You know, all those things that aren’t real hobbies because only women and soyboys do them.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

I think it depends on the context. I am not an expert 😉 … but I’ve noticed that many academic people, when speaking of a nearly-related field to their actual field of expertise will preface with “I am not an expert, but” as a sort of catchall disclaimer to prevent snippy jerks from getting verbal one-ups on them if they mistake some knowledge or have an error in logic in conversation.

However cases such as Donald-Hump-Jr, I believe you to be correct, it’s a red flag for incoming assholery.

@Rahu

It definitely can’t just be a poor countries thing, then, because you’ve left out an entire non-Western continent that, while not poor everywhere, has many countries with GDPs similar to the mentioned ones. There’s definitely racial fetishism for the submissive wife stereotype going on. (But not a Muslim one either, despite the stereotype, so more even than that.)

@Buttercup

Are people planning to shoot at the virus with nanobullets?

Sadly, I’m sure at least a few conservatives think that guns will help them keep away the coronavirus. The idiocy of the American right winger knows no bounds.

Hmm…what lesson could we take from that? Couldn’t possibly be that toxic masculinity is unhelpful and that guns aren’t a silver bullet solution, now could it?

Rahu
Rahu

@Big Titty Demon –

Very good point. Racism is definitely a part of it.

varalys the dark
7 months ago

@Naglfar, the herd immunity plan was abandoned fairly shortly when it was pointed out that the NHS would be utterly swamped and deaths could be counted in the hundreds of thousands (and coincidentally I am sure, most elderly people vote Tory). Right now we’re looking to break 5K deaths tomorrow, but the peak might still be a week away.

Course he is a leader of a party that has spent the best part of ten years gutting the NHS, letting fat cats run hospital “trusts”, and refusing to raise pay and conditions for frontline workers. I haven’t been partaking in the clap for the NHS here, because I am in a very safe Tory seat and I know nearly everyone here voted that party in year after year because tax cuts, leaving Europe and getting rid of brown people are more important than social safety nets and an NHS that’s fit for purpose. Bleh.

KindaSortaHarmless
KindaSortaHarmless

@Naglfar

As a certain wise Princess-General said, there are some problems you can’t solve by jumping into your space fighter and blowing things up.

Moggie
Moggie

@Buttercup:

Dems are so afraid of that “gun grabber” label, I suppose. Also, if she had ordered them to close, her life would be in danger.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
7 months ago

[W]ould it be a great male reset if all this virus was due to poor eating habits that created a generation of pussified men?

Sure, a great male reset, one that means lots of men have to die. As usual, the manosphere is showing its hatred of men. And naturally, it continues its hatred of all other living beings.

@Kat
I think at the root of it all they hate themselves, and they channel that hate towards everyone else.

tim gueguen
7 months ago

The guns for self defense crowd are convinced, as they always are, that we’re one bad day away from roving gangs suddenly appearing. So they supposedly need guns to defend their “supplies” from the gangs. The really paranoid ones think it won’t be just gangs, but the forces of the Deep State, who will use this crisis to overthrow Trump and replace him with evil gay Muslim transgender Marxists.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
7 months ago

I saw it reported on Finnish news that many USians seriously fear a shortage of law enforcement, if a large portion of the (police) workforce gets sick/quarantined at the same time. Consequently, there’s a surge of new people who want to become gun owners. This poses problems in states where some formal training is required for gun license, as gun instructors can’t operate under lockdown orders.

I suppose serious gun preppers probably don’t feel they acutely need more guns or ammo for self-defense. However, they might be panic buying if they anticipate that any temporary closure of gun shops might turn out to be a slippery slope to permanent closure. That would probably also mean they’re principally opposed to any government-mandated gun shop closure, no matter what kind of emergency is going on.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
7 months ago

the rate of contamination and death among 20-30y old in my region is tragically high because of that kind of fuckers who would really prefer a magic bullet who take 10m of effort instead of the long haul of a proper containement.

That annoy me to no end. Partly because I start to feel bad being locked up at home and thoses fuckers will lengthen that, partly because they may well kill people I care about.

occasional reader
occasional reader
7 months ago

According to this belgium site from the Fundation against Cancer, too much Zinc can have the following effects (outside some possible effects against some cancer treatments):
– weaken the immune system
– indigestion
– nausea (and vomiting)
– diarhea
– headache
– skin condition
– fatigue

As many things in the world, balance is needed. Stuffing yourself with meat and getting a too high zinc rate in the blood will not help you against the Covid-19, on the contrary…

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate

I am no expert at this…

Yep.

7 months ago

As a non-american, looking at your country just about everything looks stupidly extreme. We have conservative religious fundamentalists too. But even before the lockdown, when the government anounced that indoor events would be limited to 100 people, the cinemas flounted it by having only 99 people per screening (not per cinema), while the catholics, protestants, muslims, jews and sikhs anounced that they would close all their houses of worship.

concerning herd immunity:
My brother is reading all the current papers regarding the virus (and as an immunologist he understands them better than me). According to him most Experts actually agree that gradual Herimmunity is the only way to deal with this, as social distancing and lockdowns will slow the spread, but not erradicate the disease. However it is still strongly suggested to have some social distancing measures, to have it not spread so wuickly that it overwhelms the health care system. Sweden so far has no lockdown and theiry system hasn’t collapsed. However their system is much more robust than Italys, Frances, or Englands.
And if you live in the US…well…not having robust nationalised health care (most deaths in Italy are in the North, where there are fewer public, and more small private hospitals) is the worst scenario for this.
The only good news is, that it seems like the chance of having only mild symptoms is far higher than initially thought. Island did lots of testing and according to them around 50% of the infected don’t even develope symptoms. However that only betters your chances as an individual. For the system the total number of cases and the lethalitiy rate isn’t as important. There its about the total number of heavy cases versus the number of ICUs. And of course, if the system breaks down, the lethality rate will go up.

@Tim Gueguen

we’re one bad day away from roving gangs suddenly appearing

This is of course a projection, since conservatives are the ones most likely to attack and steal from people.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
7 months ago

@romaine : he outed him as not being an epidemiologist, because herd immunity on average cannot happen without a vaccine or at least a serum. Herd immunity would at best be a lucky break.

(some specific disease allow that, but then they go extinct very fast, and it’s not the common case by far)

It’s actually not terribly clear if Sweden have better health care than other country. What they do have is a country where propagation is hard because there is seriously few people and they dislike being close to each other. On that level, they almost live under permanent voluntary lockdown.

@Ohlmann

Well herd Immunity has happened historically, with many epidemics, the problem is that way it killy of most of those who are very vulnerable to that. Also I don’t think that most epidemiologist agree, that herd immunity can be reached only through vaccination.

As I said, thats not his opinion (he doesn’t really have one as this is not his field of expertise), but the hope of many of the authors publishing articles right now. Dr. Pietro Vernazza argues that only immunity through having fought of mild cases, coupled with a much higher – undetected infection rate (R. Li et al argue that up to 86% might have been undetected in Wuhan) could explain why there arent secondary outbrakes in China by now.

And yes, I know that sweden has a different approach to closeness, however the most hard hit regions in Italy are not the ones where people have this caricaturesque closeness, that you might find in the southern regions. Also sweden has an average health care system for an EU-country, while years of austerity gutted the systems in Italy and Spain. And that has nothing to do with those systems being state run and “socialist”, it has something to do with a neoliberal austerity regiment that has bin pushed within the European Union in the last decade.

sarah_kay_gee
sarah_kay_gee
7 months ago

Good chance this particular MGTOW is an InfoWarrior. Ever since Alex Jones got smacked down by the New York AG’s office for shilling colloidal silver snake oil as a cure for COVID-19, he’s pivoted to constantly touting the benefits of zinc and none-too-subtly reminding his audience of credulous idiots that it’s a major ingredient in his “Real Red Pill”. (Transphobic assholes like Jones constantly using a pop culture reference that was coined by a couple of trans women will never not elicit an eyeroll from me; Jones still refers to the as “The Wachowski Brothers”, because of course he does.)

@sarah_kay_gee

it’s a major ingredient in his “Real Red Pill”.

The greatest irony of the “red pill” is that seeing as the movie was made by two then-closeted trans* women, the red pill has been thought by film scholars to represent estrogen. Alex Jones and his audience would have a collective meltdown if they realized the implication that they should start taking estrogen.

Lainy
Lainy
7 months ago

My priest has just figured out how to do services through a zoom meeting so I’m just gonna spend Easter Sunday like that.

@Lainy
I’m hosting a Passover Seder over Zoom later this week. It’s honestly a lot easier than one in person because I don’t have to cook for many people. Though I do miss the seeing people in person part.

@Ohlmann:
Ok, my bad, controlled Herd Imunity was until recently the idea that the experts at the german Robert Koch institute councelled, but now they seem to have backtracked.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
7 months ago

And in addition to that, herd immunity almost never happened naturally. It certainly did not happen for any of the known big epidemics. Which make sense : a virus or bacteria who allow herd immunity to happen will die out pretty soon. Similar to how very little species starve themselves to death

Some diseases avoid that by mutating fast enough that people cannot keep the immunity for long, meaning no herd immunity at all. Some have animal reservoirs that mean that you can get infected easily even with herd immunity. Some spread slowly enough that you cannot naturally get herd immunity.

Anything that pretend to use herd immunity without a vaccine or a solid treatment for diseased people is a crank. It’s like pretending to have perpetual motion or free energy ; if things were that simple, there would not be a problem to begin with. In fact, talking about herd immunity without a vaccine is litteraly talking about letting the problem solve itself. Which, sure, it can happen, especially with diseases that recently jumped to the human specie and might not be adapted to thrive with it. But it would be a seriously lucky event.

7 months ago

Well if it was that obviously wrong why did some pretty major institutes promote it till recently? The german RKI is certainly not a fake news machine or fad. However as I saig, they didn’t promote people getting out and infectign themselfes, but hoped to control the spread.

Also immunity or at least adaption did happen historically. The Flu Pandemic of 1918 died down pretty much by itself, measels got far less fatal for europeans (by comparison native americans where totaly new to that disease and the estimates of the number of death in the americas are staggering) and in the 17th century those places that where badly hit by the bubonic plague coincide with the places where it never got in the 14th century. The most common theory to explain that is, that the places where people survived it in the 14th century had at least some form of adaption to the bacteria. And the diseases that wash through europe in waves from the late medieval period onwards change pretty much every century with one getting less and less common without a cure being developed.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@Naglfar

I don’t think the idiocy of any right winger has heard of any bounds. When Finland closed its borders, I saw a screencap of an Internet comment section where some anti-immigration jerk lauded the decision, saying it should have been done years ago and just waiting for the permission to go out into the streets and take care of all those pesky foreigners who had managed to get in, since, you know, they’re the ones who brought Covid into Finland.

Yes, I’m sure we have the virus here in Finland because of the influx of refugees some years back, or the steady trickle we’ve had since, and not because of all the air traffic we have or because we just travel abroad a lot.

I’m not sure I’m glad I now know there’s at least one person out there just waiting for any excuse and a “permission” to go out an kill anyone they don’t deem the right kind of people.

7 months ago

There is actually a long history of linking disease to outgroups. In the 14th century Jews where blamed to spread the plague through poisoning wells and in the 17 century people where blamed of “greasing” doorknobs with puss from the diseased.
And later modern, scientific racism combined with the new germ theory created the theory that africans and to a lesser extenct “orientals” where inherently dirty and the spreader of germs. The 1918 FLu-Pandemic for example was used to further cement racial segregation in south africa and some of the first measures there was to forbid the black population from entering the cities.

1 2 3