empathy deficit entitled babies hate speech homophobia misogyny TERFs transmisogyny transphobia twitter

A coalition of assholes celebrated #TransDayOfVisibility by yelling at trans people and their allies online

Graham Linehan, poking his nose in as usual

By David Futrelle

Tuesday was the annual Trans Day of Visibility and, as expected, the transphobes were out in force online, spewing venom and pestering any trans people they could find. Do they ever take a day off?

Some of them invaded the #TransDayOfVisibility hashtag on Twitter with their, er, thoughts on the matter. Their tweets ranged from slur-filled vitriol …

Dirty Revolver Man
@Nuclear_Aussie
2h
#TransDayOfVisibility is a way for faggots and mentally ill transgender cunts to hypnotise todays world with degeneracy and acceptance of a mental illness. Fucking disgusting

… to failed attempts at compassion.

SurlyNYConservative
@SurlyNYCon
You're all mentally ill and need help. I feel bad for you. With all the other troubles of day to day life, you don't feel like your genitals are correct? Awful. Stop mutilating yourselves. Find out what's really bothering you. I want you to feel better. #TransDayOfVisibility

The transphobes were quick to pile on any company or organization that put out a statement of support on Twitter. When Amnesty International UK tweeted “Trans rights = human rights” (repeating the phrase six times for emphasis), it was bombarded with hundreds of tweets from a veritable army of bigots, among them former-comedy-writer-turned-full-time-transphobe Graham Linehan, who thought he could outwit the human rights experts at Amnesty with this question:

Graham Linehan
@Glinner
@AmnestyUK
What rights do trans people not have?

Other commenters offered their own version of Linehan’s question or came up with equally uninspired (and sometimes incoherent) put-downs of their own:

K Flynnx Wash Your Hands 🖐
@k_flynny1234
6h
@AmnestyUK
Hint and ignoring the decades women have toiled to gain equal and fair rights.  We are not anti trans. We are anti men exploiting any opportunity to undermine women. We can’t afford to be kind.
SwirlsWorks Props
@SwirlsWorks
16h
@AmnestyUK
Why make a distinction if there is no difference? Sounds like you're fishing for MORE rights.
Happy Monkey
@HappyMo89069636
6h
@AmnestyUK
Amnesty has destroyed its brand.  I predict it will not survive the trans fad.  It’s a shame  because Amnesty did some good work and I used to support them.
TooMuchMorgans
@lufcgti
12h
@AmnestyUK
 and
@theAliceRoberts
trans women = men
Mitch Flag of EnglandFlag of United KingdomFlag of United StatesFlag of CanadaFlag of AustraliaFlag of New Zealand
@MitchTClark
15h
@AmnestyUK
The only rights that matter are property rights, and any other made up 'right' is simply an infringement on the liberty of others.

Even the Merseyside Police — yes, a local police department in Northwest England — found themselves swarmed by transphobes after tweeting that they were “proudly flying our trans flag at Merseyside Police HQ.”

plying to
@MerPolCEU
 and
@MerseyPolice
The only "hate crimes" taking place are by the unfettered zealots of the trans activist movement that wish to police language for the sake of their own egos. And if the rest of us do not abide, the rest of us can be arbitrarily criminalised. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
Country Boy
@poynton_j
16h
@MerPolCEU
 and
@MerseyPolice
Transgender has also mutated into a war on women. And you cling to that? Shame on you.
Mark
@NotWokeButLeft
6h
@FabFitzy

@StoatlyL
 and 2 others
When the suffrogets went on hunger strike the authorities, knowing it would do them harm, force fed them. These women  prevailed and not only won the right to vote here, the rest of the western world followed. Dont try and take their voice away again with 1 sided arguments
LynneKeys
@LynneKeys3
11h
@MerPolCEU
 and
@MerseyPolice
Did you fly a women's flag on International Women's Day or one for Mother's Day? Thought not. Only blokes get to have a flag and choose when to fly them.
JS
@JS60395957
6h
@MerPolCEU
 and
@MerseyPolice
Please explain why we should be celebrating adult males with a sexual fetish fed by being validated as a woman, male cross dressers (full time, part time, occassional) & males who say they are women & make no changes.

All retain male pattern violence and male sexuality.

One inventive transphobic Twitterer attempted to inspire other transphobes to pester trans people and allies with a strategy that seemed likely to puzzle a lot of its intended trans targets; it only makes sense if you’re a transphobe to begin with and think that only cis women are “real” women.

Women Make Glasgow Flag of Scotland
@GlasgowMake
Warning signWarning signWarning signCAMPAIGNINGWarning signWarning signWarning sign
31st of March is Transgender Visibility Day.
Women make sure you make your voices heard.
EVERY SINGLE TIME you see a post ask "what about women? Don't you care about women?"

While the tweet got quite a few likes and retweets, I can happily report it doesn’t seem to have inspired much of a pestering campaign; I only found a small handful of tweets asking either of these questions to trans people and their allies.

I hope your Trans Day of Visibility went better for you than it seems to have gone for these sad people.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

1 year ago

I didn’t do anything visibility-related today. Mostly just stayed at home, as is necessary for quarantine. Since I’m not publicly out, I don’t think there is much visibility related stuff I could have done anyway.

Regarding the Women Make Glasgow tweet, I saw that screenshot on Twitter earlier. It reminded me a lot of the MRAs who spend International Women’s Day asking about International Men’s Day. If transphobes ever accept that cis is not a slur, I can imagine they will demand a Cis Day of Visibility.

I see Graham Linehan has unprotected his Twitter, though I’m guessing he’ll go back to protecting it soon. He seems to have done this because he doesn’t like when people quote tweet or screenshot stuff he said. I would recommend that if you don’t want to be quoted for something, don’t say it.

Karalora
Karalora
1 year ago

As usual, trans men and non-binary people are invisible to these bozos.

I guess the Day of Visibility has more work to do.

ginger
ginger
1 year ago

“Do they ever take a day off?”

Sadly, bigotry never takes a day off.

Lainy
Lainy
1 year ago

God I hate the terfs and the “gender critical”

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 year ago

They are not even worthy to be compared to assholes, because assholes fulfill at least one useful function.

Crip Dyke
1 year ago

As usual, trans men and non-binary people are invisible to these bozos.

I guess the Day of Visibility has more work to do.

This.

Perry
Perry
1 year ago

Yeah, it’s weird that trans men and trans masculine people are invisible to terfs, which is the only way the whole “trans rights = men’s rights” thing makes any sense by their logic. When you point this out, many of them will assert that it’s because transwomen get all the attention, something something male privilege, without considering that maybe they’re contributing to that uneven visibility with where they focus their vitriol.

Maintaining a self-fulfilling prophecy to benefit your argument is a pretty clever rhetorical long game though, gotta hand it to ’em.

Lisa
Lisa
1 year ago

Here’s some tweet from my home country:

Emma wants you to buy an article about trans people, probably claims we would reify gender

I’m…mildy curious on just how one-sided this discussion is gonna be this time, after they misconstrued Dr. Conell’s position last time to defend themselves when I asked them just how cruel they want to be to us.

This is the magazine in question, btw:

Wiki about Emma

And her publisher cooperates with this … piece of journalism:
Wiki about the Bildzeitung which regularly featues stories of sexual abuse and rape as “sex scandals” or similar rapey stuff.

Luckily, Emmas popularity is dwindling but it still gets read a lot by older feminists and it’s are quite islamophobic and transphobic. But luckily, I’m just a weirdo who worries too much. Anyone care for a translation or update once I have managed to find the text for free?

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
1 year ago

So now one of the thumbnails on my browser home page features Glinner’s face slapped over a trans flag.

I am mildly upset about that.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Women Make Glasgow

Feminists do not attempt to vilify people who are lobbying for the right not to be murdered. That’s what haters do.

EVERY SINGLE TIME you see a post, ask, “What about women? Don’t you care about women?”

If I called out actual sexism EVERY SINGLE TIME I observed it, I’d have no time to enjoy the finer things in life: brushing my teeth, feeding my cats, working for a living, and so on. That’s why I PICK MY BATTLES. That’s what feminists do.

1 year ago

And when trans* men and NB folx do get mentioned by TERFs, they’re always infantilized and TERFs claim they are confused lesbians or trend followers. They just can’t conceive of trans* men or NBs who are adults. Interesting that they always infantilize the group that they (incorrectly) view as female…so very feminist.

@Lisa
I translated the cover of that magazine and the TERF argument there seems rather reminiscent of one of their old favorites. The idea of trans* people reinforcing gender roles is, to put it kindly, completely false. I know lots of GNC trans* people, and most of the trans* people I know, myself included, work to defy stereotypes. It also seems to be complete projection, seeing as TERFs absolutely love to police people based on gender norms (see: how upset they get about butch women and effeminate men).

Lisa
Lisa

@Naglfar
I know and I think I learned a lot of that stuff from you and other boardmembers in the past, but thanks for rehashing it, I’m sure it bears repeating and I admit that I was sometimes traumatized, confused and even a bit doubtful, even desperate in the past. It felt like the end of the world for me, as you probably know.

The reason I’m mostly polite to the trans exclusives is because that is expected in a German discussion for sexist reasons. Can’t be too bitchy or my argument becomes worthless automagically.

@Lisa

I know the feeling. If you become too emphatic they will accuse you of “male anger” or something like that. So very feminist of them to silence women by saying they should be less aggressive. /s

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent, Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent, Bard of the New Movement

Ay. TERFs.

If we got any more latent ones in the comment section, fuck off or reveal yourself now. The sooner we weed you out, the better. We don’t want the likes of Lady Mondegreen or Sly Fawkes around.

As for better topics.

I’m genderqueer, but also AFAB (assigned female at birth), so, as has been mentioned, TERFs don’t seem to recognize me as…existing, very much. I’ve tried to pick fights with them on Twitter, because I’m a masochist apparently, and they barely even try!

(Maybe it’s the technically anime avatar I have on there, but that’s also Hifumi Yamada from Danganronpa, who could pass as a more Western design.)

So I’m well aware that TERFs are full of nonsense. They just hate trans women so much that they for all intents and purposes, they treat trans people as just trans women for the sake of rhetoric, and then get all goddamn riled up over themselves.

If they got what they think they wanted, they’d have to deal with trans men and people like me in their bathroom, and I’m sure they’d be mad about that.

…Heh. I’ll be honest, being able to use the ‘right’ bathroom is an experience I’ve only been ballsy enough to do at conventions when going as a guy character. Coincidentally also Hifumi Yamada. I remember one guy there was shocked I was trans at all while I was doing my hair in the guy’s room…Not negatively, he just didn’t guess.

(Second con I went to, which was mostly Teruteru Hanamura instead, there were enough neutral bathrooms–but I generally bounced between when one wasn’t close.)

I honestly think that me going as male characters since fifth grade was part of my identity manifesting, and it’s what helps me present today. Rarely was it ever a conventional hero; indeed, many of my costumes were either villains, dubious sorts, or the token perverted male characters of a work–with both the figures mentioned above being of the last description. It’s a little strange, especially for me–being on here–but I also think it’s a way for me to break free, if only for a bit, of standard expressions of sexuality expected of an AFAB person.

Which brings me to a tangential topic. Other trans* people on here (or GNC!), does dressing up as characters–in terms of cosplay, Halloween costumes, or anything of the sort–mean anything to your identity?

@Troubelle

I don’t have too much experience with cosplay or Halloween costumes, but since cracking the egg, I have thought more about cosplaying, since it’s something I hadn’t really done before but now I feel like I could do it.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate
1 year ago

The simple concept of human rights gets soooo many in a tizzy. Sad.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent, Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent, Bard of the New Movement

@Naglfar

I would support such an endeavor. Just remember, thrift stores are your friend! There’s always somethin’ you can use for characters whose clothes even vaguely resemble normal ones.

Lainy
Lainy

@Naglfar

I don’t know anything about your size, but platos closet “if you have any in your area” is a great second hand shop that will usually have smaller petite sizes if you are petite. It took me a long time to find that, and if you have any interest in snowing I can give you some advice on alternation. Most things I get from thrift shops I have to alternate in some way just to make them more comfortable.

Okay also on topic

I just want to say for probably the million time anyone else has said it, is no, people can’t tell your gender or sex just by looking at you from how you present in the world. When I had a pixie cut hair style, if I didn’t wear anything femeine with it, people would question my gender identity. Even though I’m 5’1 and have pretty big boobs, I would get misgender a lot of the time. In fact it was mostly men who just assumed I was boy for some reason. (yes any terfs reading, I’m a cis woman)

Second, I have a good friend I’ve made in college (also a cis gender man) who doesn’t have any interest in transitioning to a woman. He isn’t a woman, he’s not gender queer or anything. He is a cis man that likes fem fashion along with clothes that could be considered “boys clothes” whatever that means. But because he is 5’3 and skinny and doesn’t have a lot of “masculine” features, people question his gender identity all the time.

When people don’t follow their gender rolls, this will lead you to question what gender that person is because some how (shocking, crazy, I now but wait for it) you can’t just magically tell what gentiles someone has because of how they dress, height, pitch of their voice, any of that.

All terfs want is strict gender rolls on how one presents themselves so that they can put everyone into neat little boxes. Even if your a butch lesbian, you better be feminite enough that they can tell your a woman. They don’t care how unhappy it makes you, if you make them question their narrow way of viewing the world, your wrong to them.

I hope terfs read this and know that they are not welcome here, and your “opinions” here are invalid. Because i am tired of the people i care about being attacked and hurt by some scum who dares to put a feminist label on themselves.

Hell I’ve even had terfs straight up ask me in a condescending way when i was defending trans people, how i knew that the guy who attacked me in a bathroom identified as man and wasn’t actually a trans woman. yeah super feminist terfs.

Anyways this rant is over, cause I’m upset.

Matthias
Matthias
1 year ago

Seems like a lot of non-terf transphobes started making quite terfy arguments. Is that a new development?

Brassica
Brassica
1 year ago

@Surplus, are you ok? I looked at both of those links and that seems scary.

@Lainy
I’ll look into that shop you mentioned. I’m not exactly petite (I’m about 5’7”) but I’ll still take a look.

When TERFs say they can always tell, my response tends to be “then why should people have to tell you they are trans*? If you can always tell, we shouldn’t have to tell you.”

My mother is a cis women with elevated testosterone. As a result, she has some masculine facial features and although I don’t think anyone has mistaken her for a man, people semi regularly ask if she is a trans* woman. Rigid gender rules hurt cis women as well.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@Naglfar
Maybe the TERFs only talk about trans* women because the caricature they have of them is so obvious? So they can always tell because they only think along the lines of “obvs a man in a dress” dribble. If they had to factor trans* men or nonbinary people into it, things would get complicated, and bigots can’t handle complicated.

Viscaria
Viscaria
1 year ago

I’m not sure how Women Make Glasgow expects that conversation to go. I can see they’re trying to deflect from their hatred of trans people be pretending they’re really just out here advocating for cis women, but I can’t see this conversation ending anywhere other than with them spewing a bunch of hate for trans people. The veil would not be up for long.

Support and advocate for trans people!

What about women?

The group trans people includes trans women, but okay, fair enough. In particular, support trans women and transfeminine people, who are frequently targeted with discrimination and violence.

Don’t you care about women?

I do.

Okay, but I actually mean ~~reeeaaaalll~~ women. Don’t you care about ~~real~~ women?

You mean cis women? Yes, I do.

But how can you say you care when >>stream of bigoted hate<<

They might as well just skip the first bit and head straight into the hate. It doesn’t change the conversation any.

@Masse_mysteria

I think that is part of it. There is also a long tradition in popular culture of painting trans* women as rapists and murderers (e.g. Silence of the Lambs, Sleepaway Camp, etc) which doesn’t really exist for trans* men (AFAICT there are very few works of pop culture depicting trans* masc people). There’s also sexism at play: transphobes think trans* women are men and trans* men are women, and they think that men can’t control themselves as predators, are stronger, etc, so TERFs carry that over to trans* women and ascribe all of that to us. The opposite is ascribed to trans* men and AFAB non-binary people, whom transphobes generally infantilize as misled adolescents.

It could also be related to sexualization. When trans* women are depicted in pop culture, we are often heavily sexualized (e.g. the game Cyberpunk 2077’s large in game billboard of a woman with an erection). Or the trope that trans* women are trying to trick cishet men and/or cis lesbians into sleeping with us. Transphobes clearly spend a lot of time sexualizing us, and they say we’re the fetishists.

Sorry if I’m rambling, I just have a lot of thoughts on this topic and am not really sure how to organize them.

Bakunin
Bakunin
1 year ago

My governor decided to commemorate TDoV by signing the two anti-trans bills sent to his desk. Gotta love this state

Crip Dyke

That’s Idaho for you.

Lainy
Lainy

@Naglfar

Ironically in my life as a bi woman who’s been pretty active in the queer community and events, I’ve only had one trans woman that was aggressive with hitting on me, and made me uncomfortable. All the other trans women I’ve met have been really nice and actually try really hard in their approaching to me respectful and non threatening.

I have however had about 5 cis lesbian treat me badly, be aggressive, or get really nasty with me when finding out that I’m a bi woman who dates men as well as women.

Don’t get me wrong I know a lot of amazing lesbians that are wonderful people. but the framing I see a lot of lesbians being like this superior lover, romancer, seducer of women over men, makes me really uncomfortable. So much so that I’m often accused of lying or misreading a situation when I talk about how a certain cis lesbian made me uncomfortable. I get accused of being a straight woman who went to a gay scene and then got upset that I was hit on by a lesbian. I’ve been told that a cis lesbian should never make me uncomfortable because they aren’t like violent men who abuse women.

I think it’s because lesbians have been mistreated so horribly as a group, that many in community want to put them on a pedestal as a way to counteract that. but of course that doesn’t help anything as lesbian are people. There are those who treat others well and those who don’t. to pretend other wise does nothing but hurt others. At least I am no longer on the dating scene and have to deal with this.

Now it’s just people telling me I’ve clearly chosen a side because I married a straight man.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria

@Naglfar
I seem to recall hearing somewhere that in media presentation, men are shown to be sexual (as in taking action; bad because leads to violence?) and women are shown to be sexy (more of an aesthetic thing; bad because is exploitative?), so maybe the TERFs view trans* women as both at the same time?

Jayne
Jayne
1 year ago

Hey, I have a totally unrelated-to-this-post request, if that’s okay. Does anyone here have any sort of summary of what’s wrong with Christina Hoff Sommers, or know of which of her videos show her more unpleasant takes? My sister had a professor cite CHS as a good example of a feminist & she’s wanting to push back.

@Jayne
Her RationalWiki page is probably a good place to start, as that summarizes what she does wrong. Some deeper cuts include her 2000 book “The War Against Boys,” her 5-season long show with conservative think tank the American Enterprise Institute, her pro-GamerGate interview on MSNBC, her article railing against gender-neutral toys, a debate in which she opposed abortion rights, and the episode of her podcast where she invited TERF Meghan Murphy on to talk about how she thinks trans* people are ruining sports.

That’s to get started, I’m sure there’s more out there. As anyone can see, Sommers is not a good example of a feminist.

Jayne
Jayne

@Naglfar

Thank you! The particular professor seems to be an example of what I’ve started calling “smart idiots”, he’s apparently outstanding in his academic field, but gullible as fuck when it comes to right-winger talking points. In the same lecture he was going on about how “Neo-Marxism is blowing injustice out of proportion & it’s making liberals unhappy”. *facepalm*

@Jayne

I’ve known a few of those. I had a calculus professor in college who was brilliant at calculus but had some sketchy political views. He said he didn’t vote because he didn’t understand politics, but that might have been for the best seeing as he had some problematic thoughts on women and a few other things.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Jayne,

There’s been a number of CHS posts on this site too. Might be worth searching the archives.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I have an off topic question too, actually. I’m working overtime this week and since I’m 99% not in danger of losing my job anytime soon, I was thinking I should donate the extra funds I’m making this week.

Does anyone have a good idea of who to donate to that might be getting overlooked in this crisis? Something besides the standard causes that are popular now? I may just make another donation to RAICES, but I’m all ears if people have other ideas.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@TDoV/Transphobes
If it weren’t for a voice that sounds like Tom Waits gargling gravel, I’d never have been able to reliably pass for male even before transition.

@Jayne

I’m not at all sure where it’s originally from, but I’m minded of a quotation to the effect that nothing is more dangerous than an educated fool.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Surplus

What do your links mean? Were you diagnosed? If so, you are not fucked, I know someone who lived to 89 with the disorder. It is just something that must be managed, there’s no reason to be hopeless.

If you were not diagnosed, then… I don’t know what your links mean. Please clarify?

@wwth

Food pantries everywhere are running out of food because of exponentially increased demand from all the job losses due to coronavirus, without any corresponding increase in food stamps. They are also receiving less donations from grocery stores of expiring food (which is still edible) due to hoarders buying everything up. I donated to this cause.

@WWTH, Jayne
Here’s a search link to save some time.

Out of curiosity, what was the context for the prof’s original statement?

Crip Dyke

@dalillama:

nothing is more dangerous than an educated fool.

IIRC there’s a line in Shakespeare to that exact effect, though I can’t remember the play right now, I just know that I’ve read it and I keep thinking it was while reading Shakespeare … Of course, since I can’t remember the specific play, I could be wrong. Still. It’s a place to start if you’re curious and trying to track it down.

……

…so before posting I went to look it up, not wanting to get it wrong and lead someone down the wrong path. Turns out there are no citations to Shakespeare, but plenty to Molière, albeit without a specific play mentioned. That was all I needed to pin it down: it’s from Les Femmes Savantes. IIRC we have a resident Molière expert, perhaps Susan can chime in with some expert commentary on the context?

Allandrel
Allandrel
1 year ago

On the “smart idiot” phenomenon, there seems to be a variant of the Dunning-Kruger Effect where someone IS an expert in a field… and therefore believes themselves an expert in all fields, because obviously everything else works just like their area of expertise. (They are almost all straight white cis men, for Some Reason.)

A great example of this is eugenicist douche Richard Dawkins, whose many accomplishments include inventing the pseudo-science of “meme theory” because obviously psychology and sociology work exactly like genetics, so he can just transpose his genetics framework onto them without the need to actually, say, learn anything about them.

@Allandrel

This seems to be common among alternative medicine cranks who may have actual credentials in other fields but claim that that gives them medical knowledge. They then blather about their titles but conveniently never state that those are not at all related to the woo they’re selling.

They are almost all straight white cis men, for Some Reason.

Lord, give me the confidence of a mediocre white man…

Dawkins is a piece of work. IIRC he was at one point somewhat respected as a biologist, before he went off with his his Islamophobia, sexism, racism, rape/pedophilia apologia, and ableism. Plus, as far as I can tell he hasn’t really contributed much to biology lately anyway.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
1 year ago

Semi-OT, since I believe cooking, like cats/other cute animals is always OT around here, plus I thought it useful as a distraction from TwitterTERFs being idiots.

A commenter over on the Slacktivist blog posted this today, and I thought folks here would like to see it too. It’s an Ancient Greek recipe for cheesecake, with a few adjustments for things like modern measurements added.

Ancient Greek Language/Culture Post of the Day (Food-15): τυροκόσκινον (tyrokoskinon, pronounced tü-raw-KOSS-kee-non) or ὑποτυρίς (hypotyris, pronounced hü-paw-tü-REESS), cheesecake.

Yes, the ancient Greeks made cheesecake. It was quite similar to modern cheesecake, except that the sweetening ingedient was honey instead of sugar (granular sugar didn’t start showing up in ancient Greek markets until the early Byzantine era). Here is an authentic ancient recipe from the Roman writer Cato the Elder, from his book De Agricultura:

Ingredients
A shallow baking dish
500g flour
Enough water to make dough,
Light olive oil
Salt
300g ricotta
200g honey
6-8 bay leaves

1. Mix the flour and water together. Divide it into 5 parts and then roll it out very VERY thinly. Leave it to dry, brush with oil and then put it in the oven to dry again.
2. Mix the ricotta and honey into a thick, creamy mess.
3. Grease the bay leaves and cover the bottom of your baking dish with them. Then add the first layer of dough (or puff pastry if you’re being lazy), but this first layer needs to be much bigger than the others, covering the base with plenty of spare to go up and spill over the sides (you’ll be folding the edges back in over the layers to make a parcel)
4. Now add your second layer of dough. Cut it to fit the base and put it in on top of the first layer. Cover this layer with a generous helping of ricotta and honey. Repeat, alternating between a layer of pastry and a layer of ricotta and honey until both are used up.
5. Now pull those edges from the bottom layer up and over the cake. Grease it with oil and bake for 20-30 minutes at 165C (325F)
6. Bathe it in honey.
7. When the top is golden brown, take it out and bathe it in MORE honey! What you now have is a wonderfully flaky, sweet cheesecake drenched in honey that tastes great and was easy to make. Enjoy!

I haven’t made this yet, but the ingredients seem easy enough to get, with the exception of the bay leaves (would parchment paper work in its place?). A diet killer for sure, if nothing else. 😀

Dalillama
Dalillama
1 year ago

Yes, parchment paper will be fine.

Joekster
Joekster
1 year ago

All of these ‘trans rights are mens rights’ comments seem odd to me, because I only know three trans folk personally, and they’re all trans men.

So, I suppose in my experience, trans rights are (trans)mens rights- although I don’t think that’s how they intended it.

Crip Dyke

@Naglfar:

I seriously doubt he suddenly developed sexism, racism, ableism, or a tendency for rape apologia. It seems to be a thing that after 9/11 people who didn’t think about Islam one way or another suddenly starting applying their existing tendency to stereotype, generalize, demean, and other to muslims as a group in ways that they hadn’t bothered to before, so that might have been new.

Instead what would have been “new” was that twitter came along and all the shit he’d been saying at his dinner parties with his rich friends he now said to the entire internet … which means that people who weren’t going to laugh off his bigotry could actually hear what he was saying. That’s all.

It’s almost certain he wasn’t saying different things, just saying them louder until he was overheard. In fact, that’s the best way to explain how incredulous he was at the criticism. After all, if you’ve been saying the same things for decades and none of your wealthy friends had batted an eye, then you might actually believe that there really is nothing to critique in your upper-class, paternalist sexism, your insistence that not making waves is more important than stopping sexual assault, and all the other dipshit pronouncements you’ve been laughing about over aperitifs.

I do give him a pass on this, however. Old people should get a chance to retire and not have to work themselves literally to death. In fact, I wish he’d retire a little bit harder.

@Crip Dyke

By “went off” I meant that he became much more obviously vocal about all his views. Elevatorgate, for example. I should have been a bit clearer in my word choice.

I wish he’d retire a little bit harder.

Agree. Maybe he could start by retiring from Twitter.

occasional reader
occasional reader
1 year ago

So, Women Make Glasgow is going to use No True Scottwoman arguments ?

(An easy one, i know. Sorry, need a bit of laught in those confinement days)

Frederic Christie
1 year ago

“I can care about more than two people at once. What about you?”

Only response needed to that disingenuous tweet.

varalys the dark
1 year ago

I remember my first brush with what would now be called Terfism, it was back in 1995. I was a baby lesbian of 20 and was at university, I had also been attending a discussion and social group in the same city at the Lesbian and Gay Centre, every one else was in their 30’s and maybe early 40’s. They were all nice people, I had a laugh with them and all was good.

Then one day a trans woman came to the group. She wasn’t greeted by outright hostility but there was definitely an iciness that dropped over the group. Afterwards when we went for our usual drink, she was left sitting alone. So I went and sat with her, and being my usual blunt self, just asked her about herself. She was the nicest, sweetest woman I ever met and she was on the older side and told me all about her life, her struggles trying to be the gender she wasn’t and how despite everything she was happy now. I hoped she would return to the group, but obviously she didn’t come back, and I had been left with a very nasty look at my fellow lesbians. I ended up quitting that group, not long after.

I actually did Gender Studies as part of my Media Studies degree and there was lots of fascinating stuff about what we’d now understand and label non-binary and genderqueer etc. Enough that I went on to do a MA in Women’s Studies (and tangled witha Terf there, but that’s another story). I was already finding some things about the lesbian community stupid. I worked out, I lifted weights, I had quite a muscular physique with broad shoulders and I have a deep voice. I never wore anything coded as feminine, lots of jeans and check shirts, but because I had (and still have) waist length hair, apparently I was straight. So when I was trying to get into the gay clubs I’d have to snog a woman to “prove” I was actually a lesbian. Oh the mid-90’s.

@Varalys

Does that kind of thing still happen a lot?