open thread

Coronavirus Crash Open Thread

The official number of Americans sick with coronavirus doubled over the weekend; markets are plunging. There’s a lot to talk about, so here’s a new open thread.

This tweet from Eric Trump really hasn’t aged very well.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

7 months ago

Speaking of tweets that haven’t aged well, didn’t Trump Sr. put out a bunch of tweets about how great the stock market was and how he had saved us from coronavirus?

Mrs. Obed Marsh
Mrs. Obed Marsh
7 months ago

A friendly warning: please do not downplay this virus by pointing out that it will mostly kill old people and immuno-compromised people. Some of us care about old people and immuno-compromised people. Some people are old and/or immuno-compromised, and they can understand you. Thank you.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
7 months ago

That look bad. Not just for the coronavirus, but because if there is an economic crisis because of it, things will get from bad to worse.

Let’s hope that governements will do just enough lockdown to slow down the virus without destrouing the economy.

(while the current maret fluctuations seem a bit artificial to me, 2 or 3 months of lockdown will A – starve any gig economy worker and B – do a lot of economic damage on firms, especially smaller one, and that’s what frighten me)

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
7 months ago

@Mrs. Obed Marsh : even above that, people that say that don’t know how to stats. There’s plenty of not old, not immuno depressed dead peoples, and the odds for anyone to die from it are far from negligible regardless of their health.

And in addition, while the mortality for “healthy” people apparently isn’t high, it will spike up dramatically if the hospitals are overcrowded, because peoples won’t get the care they need. And it will results on unneeded deaths of both infected people, and non infected people that needed an hospital stay for other reasons. The peak on mortality if the health system fail look close to 20%.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte
7 months ago

At times like these I’m thankful I walk to work each day, and through a mostly unused route. Bus and the like could be a risk factor at all times.

Still, if there’s one thing that irks me about my fellow Peruvians is that plenty of them just sneeze in the open without covering themselves.

I keep on warning them that the stores might’ve run out of face masks but not mace. If they insist on not covering up, Imma spray the first jerk in my path that spreads their germs my way.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

This sucks….

Lost my retirement savings twice already, in the 80s and in 2008… now I’m 6 months from retirement and my money is vanishing again….

Neoliberalist capitalism bites.

(But, oh, can’t explore socialism… that would be… socialist….)

My workplace has been in a death spiral for going on 2 years.,. we’ve had 3 company presidents, three owners, now we’re down to four people, no I.T., no H.R., and not just “paycheck-to-paycheck” but “hope my key works when I come to work”….

And with dumb donald, I don’t even know if Social Security and Medicare will even be around in October….

Hope everyone else is healthy, well-scrubbed and disinfected 🙂

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
7 months ago

Obviously now a lot more people are using hand sanitisers; which is good of course. But just to warn, some of them contain essential oils that are harmful to pets. So you might want to check the ingredients before giving pats or scritches.

Oils that are harmful to cats include, but are not limited to:

Wintergreen
Sweet birch
Citrus (d-limonene)
Pine
Ylang ylang
Peppermint
Cinnamon
Pennyroyal
Clove
Eucalyptus
Tea tree (melaleuca)
Thyme
Oregano
Lavender

Oils that are harmful to dogs include, but are not limited to:

Cinnamon
Juniper
Yarrow
Garlic

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward
7 months ago

Yesterday was the 42nd (yes 42nd) anniversary of the original Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy radio comedy on BBC Radio 4. It’s probably a coincidence that the World Health Organization is literally urging people to sanitize their phones. And most of all, HHGTTG has yet more good advice for us: Don’t Panic! Let’s write it in large, friendly letters when we feel the world is falling apart.

May we always know where our towels are in these times of trouble!

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it
7 months ago

Unbelievable…the Cheeto just tweeted a meme of himself playing the violin. I’m guessing he’s unaware of the Nero thing. Nothing would surprise me at this time.

@Alan Robertshaw:

Good to know. My one cat, Baby, backs away from the smell of scented toiletries, like a vampire from a cross.

@Weird Eddie:

I hear you. I myself am planning on Social Security being gone when it’s time for me to retire.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte
7 months ago

I understood that reference.

Also, I believe the code for posting pics is literally just posting the full link of the pic right?

Moggie
Moggie
7 months ago

@Anonymous Coward, I always thought we were meant to lie down and put a paper bag over our head or something.

@Dormousing_it

I’m guessing he’s unaware of the Nero thing.

He wouldn’t know it because he doesn’t know anything about history, but the irony is extreme. Unless he’s trying to say it’s good to fiddle while Rome burns…which is a possibility with him.

@Diego Duarte

Yes. Make sure it ends in an image extension, though.

JoanC
JoanC
7 months ago

I’m surprised no one has yet commented on Trump’s claims that coronavirus is just like the flu, in that you will just feel bad for a while and then get over it.

I guess he’s never heard of the Spanish flu.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Diego

I don’t know if this is of any interest to you; but it relates to your earlier point that climate change etc. disproportionally affects people in the global south.

lilome
lilome
7 months ago

Something I ran across on Twitter last week that I’m curious/concerned about. Some people are claiming that guys do not wash their hands when using the bathroom. I don’t know that many guys I can ask… so guys? How often do guys wash their hands? Are y’all having conversations about what it means to wash your hands more?

David Rose
David Rose
7 months ago

I need a like button for Mrs Obed Marsh’s comment, please.

I’m just glad that my elderly parents are paying attention to the warnings about the virus, in spite of being Trump voters and Fox News consumers.

Allandrel
Allandrel
7 months ago

Lack of proper hygiene is, unsurprisingly, part of toxic masculinity. As we’ve all seen here from the guys who refuse to wipe because “that’s gay.”

I’ve always been very hygienic, even as a little boy, and the short time that I spent in a college dorm (around 1997-1998) was utterly horrifying.

Not only did it turn out that “real men” don’t wash their hands, they also don’t wipe. I learned that they don’t wipe because they don’t flush, either.

Then there was the guy who did not use the toilet, because he was already in the shower. No, he did not just pee in the shower.

@Lilome

I’m not a guy, but I lived as one long enough to know that sadly most men do not wash their hands. I’ve always been obsessive about cleanliness and wash my hands very often, but many people do not share my view on this.

@Allandrel

That’s disgusting. What was he thinking?

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

@Allandrel:

That’s horrifying. Sadly, I’m not surprised at their lack of concern for others. I’m a little surprised at their carelessness about their own health & comfort. They must’ve been in need of diaper-rash cream. I’m hoping alot of this was young men’s BS, and they eventually matured out of it.

It reminds me of something I read in the news – some men are reluctant to recycle, because they believe it makes them look “gay”.

@Dormousing_it

That sounds similar to what we discussed a few months ago with men not using reusable bags because they thought it made them look gay. Either way, toxic masculinity kills the environment in subtle ways in addition to the more overt ways.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

It’s definitely disturbing that people don’t already wash their hands. Gross.

The US government and any other government that doesn’t enforce paid sick leave need to enact emergency measures to start enforcing it now. Not just offer paid leave, but not punish workers for using it by requiring doctors notes or limiting the number of days that can be taken at once.

We also need free testing offered to anyone who needs it.

Given that the recovery from the 2008 recession didn’t really apply to non affluent people, the US economy is ill equipped to handle both a recession and a pandemic at once.

I fear this mess will only bolster Biden’s chances at winning the nomination, as voters will seem as a representative of a more stable time. However, the status quo is what got us here and is not good enough. I guess the silver lining is a no longer good economy will remove the last excuse to vote for Trump in the general.

@WWTH

Millions still will vote for him. They don’t need an excuse other than that he shares in their bigotry and insecurity.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
7 months ago

And they will say “the situation is bad, so I need Trump to improve it !”

Same bullshit as for state police : if criminality go down, it’s thanks to them, if criminality go up they need more to fight it.

Moggie
Moggie

@WWTH:

I fear you may be right about Biden, but damn, that’s fucked up. This is absolutely the right time for voters to demand progressive policies! Bernie should be killing it in the current situation!

Did anyone else see the pictures of Trump at Mar-a-Lago and think Masque of the Red Death?

@Ohlmann
Of course in realty Trump has every opportunity to fix things but made everything worse. Not sure how he’ll spin the economy. Probably just say it’s doing great because he knows his fans will never doubt him. We’re in real 2+2=5 territory and he knows that.

TacticalProgressive
TacticalProgressive

@lilome

Back as a kid and teenager: I’ve been highly focused on making sure I washed my hands above all else: because even in my formative years I knew it was important not to “spread germs” or have the parts of my body that interacted with anything and everything and would touch my face and put food in my person were not dirty or otherwise contaminated. and mind you, I’m not even germaphobic.

This had not changed, even back in Air cadets where I had to crawl around in dirt, mud and sand during obstacle coruses and bush exercises: I could be covered from head to toe with muck and I would be able to tolerate it so long as my hands were squeaky clean. But even the rest of me were clean: if my hands were dirty, it would drive me up a wall and I would go find the closest body of running water and soap I could find and wash up.

The very fact that their are other guy’s who not only ignore and neglect basic hygiene and for the most absurd and even homophobic reasons disgusts me for more reasons than one, especially given how they are so nonsensically afraid of “being gay” or “being seen as gay” from doing basic sanitation and hygiene practice: that they walk about willfully and gleefully as a bunch of bathless groggens that even Pig-Pen of the Peanuts gang would find of questionable hygiene.

Katamount

@WWTH, Naglfar

Millions will vote for him, but it just takes a few million who actually thought he was an economic genius to stay home to make the difference. Arguably, Bush won in 2004 because the “economy” (put in scare quotes because that term means different things to the elite than the rest of us) was still doing well, despite his Iraq blunder.

It’s tough to spin retirement savings being obliterated.

@Katamount

It’s tough to spin retirement savings being obliterated.

It’s tough, but if he doesn’t mention it and says the economy is doing great, most of his personality cult won’t do further research to realize he’s lying.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

@lilome

I’m a bit obsessive about washing my hands – like 8-10 times a day, not including after going to the bathroom – so I’m not exactly representative of the male half-ish of the population, but since I share public restrooms with the disgusting louts, I can assure you that a sizable chunk of men really don’t wash after going to the bathroom.

I have no idea why, beyond a woefully inadequate understanding of microbiology and immunology. Or possibly some kink involving cholera…

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
7 months ago

Depend if reality crash into his base or not. Economic crisis often are actually felt by everyone and are less rationalized than institutional racism and sexism.

@Gaebolga

I have no idea why

Probably toxic masculinity and a lack of scientific knowledge.

Or possibly some kink involving cholera…

I’ve heard of “bug-chasing” kinks, but never in relation to cholera specifically. Could be a thing, but seeing as cholera is not common in most developed countries and is not fun, I can’t imagine many people are after it.

@Ohlmann

True, but economic crises can also be blamed on scapegoats in order to feed the fire and energize the base. We’ll have to see what he tries to do.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ JoanC:

you will just feel bad for a while and then get over it.

I dunno, during the Spanish Flu pandemic, there were lots of people who felt bad for a while, then… didn’t feel bad… or anything else….

I don’t think we have to wait and see… we all know that’s exactly what he’ll do

And the base will eat it up. They will NEVER blame him for anything.

They’re white middle-, working-, and lower-clasd people, as such they’re used to blaming others for their missteps

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
7 months ago

@gaebolga : probably have something to do with the fact washing hand after each trip to the loo is more a “nice to have” (and a societal norm) than a core hygienic habit in normal circumstance. Of course, when in the middle of an epidemic, perhaps do wash your hands at every occasion … even tho the risk don’t come from your bowel movement.

The actual washing need of the average human (AKA someone who isn’t handling younglings, elders, or weakened individuals) tend to be significantly less than society thinks. While still more than what the average teenager do.

The good thing is that washing too often don’t really have drawback anyway. I never found good, credible source to the often touted claim that washing too often weaken the immunitary system or cause allergies. But conversely, it take a lot more to be an actual health risk than to just look disgusting.

impudentinfidel
impudentinfidel
7 months ago

90% of the stuff they’re pushing to keep yourself safe from coronavirus 19 is stuff we all should have been doing already. There have been 20,000 deaths from flu so far this winter in the US alone (according to the CDC).

That massive wave of death happens every year though, so nobody panics about that.

rv97
rv97
7 months ago

Why can’t we just cancel capitalism altogether? It’s nothing but harmful at this rate. Using it as a metric for anything excuses nothing but some fucked up stuff.

@Ohlmann

washing too often don’t really have drawback

I guess it could lead to dry skin, but that’s what skin moisturizers are for.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ ohlmann

Before access to clean water was common, one of the major sources of B12 was, without going into gory details, the lack of toilet paper and hand washing facilities.

Although personally I’m happy we now have B12 supplements and soap.

Couch Thing
7 months ago

My 401k is on fire! I don’t mean it’s on a hot streak; I mean it is literally just a pile of flaming money. Fun.

Amtep
Amtep
7 months ago

They’re already seeding the narrative that millions of deaths from covid-19 is what the Democrats want in order to make Trump look bad. So when the deaths happen, they’ll just blame it on the Democrats. His base, who will be looking for a scapegoat anyway, will believe him.

This is how you get pogroms, too.

Victorious Parasol
7 months ago

I’ve said it before: what scares me the most isn’t the possibility of dying from COVID-19, even though as a diabetic I’m technically “at risk” of dying if I contract it. I’ve had two near-death experiences in my life, so if my number’s coming up, I’ll miss Mr. Parasol dreadfully, and I worry about how he’ll deal with it … but it’s not something that’s really on my mind.

What scares me the most is how this is affecting my fellow healthcare professionals, especially those on the front lines. I’m tucked away in a safe little IT corner, but the rest of my tribe is out there trying to keep patients calm, fighting with insurance companies, arguing with whoever is not sharing COVID-19 test kits, holding the hands of the dying, listening to loved ones scream with grief, trying to comfort the afflicted….

It’s so much already. It’s a spreading disaster gleefully widening the cracks in our system: the nursing shortage, the drug shortage, the equipment shortage, the shift from inpatient to outpatient care because it’s “more profitable,” the (obscenity deleted) C-suite peacocks who’ve strutted around giving themselves bonuses and telling themselves that giving staffers cookies is just as good as giving them pay raises, and on and on and on.

It’s been years since I worked in a hospital, but those are my people out there, getting ready to dive into the meat grinder because it’s a calling, because so many of us see our jobs as devoted service to human welfare. I want to rage at those who’ve seen this as an opportunity to make even more obscene amounts of money and place no value on the rest of us.

@Amtep

Yikes. I’m expecting a rise in antisemitism as well, the blood libel and well poisoning myths are still in the public consciousness waiting to float to the surface.

Full Metal Ox

@Naglfar:

Which will go nicely with the Sinophobia that’s already hit the fan:

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@Nagflar:

First it will be against the Chinese, though. After all, climate change is a Chinese hoax, and doubtless the coronavirus is a biological weapon that escaped from a Chinese lab.

Plus, reading the CNN article @Alan linked to, Drumpf’s been saying that the “average American” is fine. I’m reminded of the statistic that the percentage of Americans who voted for him is the same number as the percentage who don’t have passports. So it’s all those elitist travellers’ fault for bringing it back for them. If they were like proper average Americans who never leave the sight of their white picket fences, we wouldn’t be in this mess. And it will prove West Coast elites’ fault for letting scary yellow people in. There’s a reason (white) history remembers the 1918 outbreak as the “Spanish” flu.

Also, at some point it will be spreading due to Mexicans. I’m not sure how, but possibly because Drumpf and his base can’t tell the difference between Mexicans and Chinese, because of all those movies they’ve seen where the former were used to play the latter.

Meanwhile, the antisemitism will come about firstly out of habit, and secondly by following the logic of the “It’s the Democrats’ fault!” as the claim is made that it’s all spreading to bolster the candidacy of the Socialist Joo Sanders. At which point we’ll have a nice loop back to the China issue: after all, China = Dirty Commies = Socialists = Bernie = Joooooooooozzzzzzzzz. It’s perfectly logical.

And, let’s be honest, that last bit is going to seem to get some support from the fact that a certain type of Bernie Bro is quite likely to make “Yes! The economy’s tanking! I hope this epidemic keeps up so Trump’s incompetence is visible! He’ll never win if too many old white people die!” comments. And the trollier among them will crank that up a notch and make it “Not because his followers will lose faith, but because there will be less old white people.” And then we’re back to Sarah Palin’s death panels and Joooooozzzzz = Nazis.

@Rabid Rabbit

Also, at some point it will be spreading due to Mexicans.

This idea is already circulating. Several conservative pundits online claimed that Chinese people with the virus were sneaking through the southern border. They seem unfazed by the fact that China is not in Central America.
The sinophobia is awful as well. My condolences to anyone of Chinese descent who experiencing racism because of the coronavirus.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I’ve already heard a guy on the bus talking about how Obama worked with China to create the virus. So, I expect that take to work its way up through the pipeline from the right wing conspiracy theory YouTube community to Fox News and GOP talking points.

Moggie
Moggie
7 months ago

@WWTH, I believe Alex Jones has been spreading that conspiracy theory.

Allandrel
Allandrel
7 months ago

The coronavirus is exactly the sort of crisis that can be used to cancel (or at least “postpone”) elections.

Note that I am not saying that Trump is deliberately flubbing the response for this purpose. He is certainly evil enough, but it requires a level of forethought and ability to understand long-term cause-and-effect that he is just not capable of, no matter how well Stephen Miller might explain the scheme to him.

FlyByKiwi
FlyByKiwi
7 months ago

@anonymous coward – my sister stole my towel. I had one that was a perfect towel day towel – even had flowers on it, but she liked it and just took it. She hadn’t read HHGTTG at the time and didn’t realise the significance.

I hadn’t heard about the phone santising advice! It reminds me I desperately need a haircut!

I am very concerned about economic impact. As many people have pointed it it will fall disproportionately on the people least able to absorb it.

I also am getting annoyed at people I least expected to be crowing going on about how wonderful it is that the people they least like are getting it and dying from it. Politicians of all stripes, older people, ill people – whoever they don’t rate. Shows a real lack of basic humanity I reckon.

@Allandrel

That’s what I feel is the main thing separating Trump from worse dictators like Hitler or Stalin. Trump is evil, but his own idiocy limits his horribleness somewhat. Which is still little consolation.

1 2 3 5