artistry off topic

Hey, look at my art! And share yours!

By David Futrelle

So, hey, look at my art! I mean, you see some of it already in the form of the graphics I do for the blog. But I also like making more abstract digital art. (I’m currently in a sort of polka-dot phase.)

Today I’d like to take a break from the regular posts and show you some recent creations. And give you a chance to share some of your art as well. So post pics and share links below!

Also … I’m thinking of turning this into a little side hustle. I’ll probably start out selling postcards and greeting cards and phone cases and the like, but ultimately I also want to turn some of these into larger prints and works on canvas or wood embellished with paint and nice thick glazes and possibly some collage elements. Let me know if this stuff looks like the sort of thing you or someone else might be interested in buying.

And if you have any suggestions on how best to go about selling digital (and non-digital) art — and what sites/services to use — let me and everyone else know about them!

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

AmandaPea
AmandaPea

Very cool!

Naglfar
Naglfar
1 year ago

I like the art. I especially like the one with the red dots on yellow (first one after the text). The use of primary colors reminds me of Mondrian, but the use of different shapes and fluid colors makes it seem far more organic than Mondrian, which IMO is good.
I also like the other red and yellow one (third after the text). The bubbles and textures remind me of liquid light shows and lava lamps.

Sarah
Sarah
1 year ago

I like your work, David. Society6 is a good place to look into!

As for my art, I make jewelry under the name Vug Jewels, which you can find at http://www.vugjewels.com. I make pieces with vintage chains, bone, unique stones, found objects and more.

robin
1 year ago

It’s pretty easy to set up your own self-hosted OpenCart installation, and it can manage digital sales and downloads. (I’m all for encouraging self-hosting over tying yourself down to a service provider.)

Whitney
Whitney
1 year ago

I purchase art from places like Society6 and Etsy, so those are my recommendations for where to go! These look great, btw.

robin
1 year ago

If you want to see a simple example of a self-hosted OpenCart setup for digital download sales, mine is at ; if you can manage a WordPress install then you can definitely manage OpenCart.

Anne Speck
Anne Speck
1 year ago

You might think about Spoonflower. Some of your designs would make very interesting fabric.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 year ago

I really like first and second images after the text ((1)red circles on yellow, and (2) cream vertical stripes, with apologies for the horribly ineadquate descriptions; I like the others too, but those two most of all)

Lakitha
Lakitha
1 year ago

I am very attracted to the third one after the text, because it heavily reminds me of some fantastical art from the seventies (like a Ralph Bakshi movie.) I like the hand drawn look, the shapes, and the energetic colors. I’d definitely buy something like that on a poster, or even a phone case.

The first one after the text feels really mellow, and soothing. I like that one, too.

David Rose
David Rose
1 year ago

They’re all very cool, but I like the striped one (second one) the most. It’s very mysterious-looking, but not menacing. I like the layers too. I’d buy prints or postcards of them.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia
1 year ago

I especially like the header piece! I’d buy cards of that.

Society6 has all sorts of product options, so seconding the recommendation.

Kootiepatra
1 year ago

Just jumping on the Society6 train. I’ve never sold through them (I’m contentedly amateur and non monetized), but I’ve bought merch from a number of artists through them. Quality stuff, and none of my artist buddies complain about them.

I very irregularly post art on my tumblr: https://kootiepatra.tumblr.com/

I dabble in digital, ink, and watercolor.

Tyko
Tyko
1 year ago

How lovely! The red one is my favorite. I would like it as a phone case or small handbag.

LollyPop
LollyPop

I love them, gorgeous!

I make little ceramic animals as a hobby and found I’ve made a couple of sales over Instagram! It’s a great platform for artists, I also recommend getting yourself involved in the local art scene – arty people buy more art, and like to support people they know 🙂

You can see some of my bits and bobs at twitter.com/bugeyedcreature and I do pet commissions, with a special interest in cats!

Lainy
Lainy
1 year ago

You don’t want to see my art, most of it is nudes.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

The more I look at these, the more I can’t pick a favourite – they’re all great. I’m leaning towards the second and third last ones at the moment, though. I’d definitely buy these in some form.

I have no idea about selling/advertising artwork, so I’ll leave that to the experts here!

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward
1 year ago

They’re all very nice! Though I do like the kind of orange-pink one the best. It makes me think of seeing something (a cityscape, cars driving along a highway?) through a pane of glass streaked with drops of water.

Paireon
Paireon
1 year ago

Hmm. Not an expert, and abstract art isn’t quite my thing, but for what it’s worth those are quite good methinks.

As for me I haven’t drawn in decades, and I know nothing about online art-selling platforms either, so sorry, I can’t help you there.

Couch Thing
1 year ago

I like these quite a lot.

Ron
Ron
1 year ago

Pretty dam good, gives me this 2000s era adult swim vibes for sum reason. If u wanna see my art, most is at my art twitter RonWerks, if u wanna check it out.

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
1 year ago

Ok, so if the other post never shows up, I sing with the Denver Women’s Chorus. I’m not putting the link up again, I think when I try to post YouTube links it causes problems. It’s very likely I’m the one causing the problem, that’s generally the case with me. If you want to hear us, google us!

I know it’s not visual art, I do that too but none of my stuff is online.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Yutolia
Speaking of which, how was the performance at the state legislature?

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner

@Naglfar:

It was good! It was lots of fun. Thanks for asking!

space_hoers
1 year ago

I like abstract art, and I think this is pretty cool.

I make music as a hobby – I started getting really interested in playing the bass in about 2011, and then in 2013, I accidentally impulse bought Sonar X3 on a Steam sale and started playing with it. I’m using Reaper now, although I’d like to learn how to use Renoise at some point.

If anyone wants to hear what I done did, a lot of it can be found at https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary – it’s pretty much all computer beep boops, since I can’t seem to write lyrics that don’t sound totally stupid.

Correction Automatique
Correction Automatique
1 year ago

Very cool! Have you considered textiles? Scarves, spectacles or screen cleaning cloths? Broad hair ribbons, or covered items like funky glasses cases, tablet sleeves and the like? I’d buy all of them.

K.
K.
1 year ago

I don’t do visual arts (though I do act).

But I do write…

I lurk, a lot
I lurk, a lot
1 year ago

You might consider putting some of those repeating patterns up on Spoonflower or another one of the sites that sell fabric, maybe?

Crip Dyke
1 year ago

First and third below the text are my favorites.

Universal Kami
Universal Kami

@K.

It says file not found for me.

Paul
Paul
1 year ago

Delurking to share this. Abstract, but very different from the above, and made using mathematics on a computer.

Keep fighting the good fight! Relurking now.

K.
K.

@Universal Kami

Huh…works on my end.

try this link — https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1959610/

David Rose
David Rose
1 year ago

As a lapsed quilter, I second/third the idea of making fabric out of some of them.

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
1 year ago

David, I love these. They seem like they are lots of fun to make

Nequam
Nequam
1 year ago

Who’s the fellow in the last piece of artwork? (Also, that last one puts off some Peter Max/Heinz Edelmann vibes for me)

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
1 year ago

These look pretty cool, at least to me. A couple remind me of ‘60‘s psychedelia updated for the modern era. XD

By the way, didn’t you used to have a Zazzle account at one point, to sell WHTM-themed things? Perhaps you can do that again, and get your stuff put on totes and cups and things.

Full Metal Ox

@Nequam:

The psychedelic portrait is Edgar Allan Poe–who may be difficult to recognize here because his likeness is usually rendered in Dark and Dreary Gothic/period daguerrotype color schemes rather than bright acidic Van-Gogh-by-way-of-Peter-Max.

@David Futrelle: Thirding the suggestion for Spoonflower (http://www.spoonflower.com/); I straightaway found myself craving a spring skirt in the diffuse pink-and-gray polka-dot pattern.

Nequam
Nequam
1 year ago

@Ox: Ah! I’m also used to Poe’s hairline looking a bit higher and pronounced bags under his eyes:

comment image

ST
ST
1 year ago

Very well then, though I will try to keep my usual name in reserve. Unfortunately Scilfredja isn’t here to appreciate this particular one, she would probably like it:

I haven’t had the time to draw lately and I’ve been stuck with another one I’m working on.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte
1 year ago

Nice! They look very well detailed! I like the effects on the second one in particular.

@Lainy

You don’t want to see my art, most of it is nudes.

I expect Katamount and a few others will be having the same problems.

Full Metal Ox
1 year ago

A departure from topic; I only just now learned of (URL contains a major spoiler) this significant Doctor Who development, and am fully expecting the inevitable fallout to wind up being covered here.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Full Metal Ox
I expect a meltdown from racists any minute. I don’t watch the show so I don’t know too much about it, but I do recall some people getting very upset about the first female doctor.

Naglfar
Naglfar

O/T question I had:
The other day I stumbled across someone online who listed their pronouns as “she/they.” I am uncertain which of those to use when referring to this person. In general, if someone lists more than one kind of pronouns, how should I tell which to use?

Cats In Shiny Hats
Cats In Shiny Hats
1 year ago

As someone who is AOK with being she or they, I’d say whichever makes you more comfortable.

I’m ok with both because I’m AFAB with no real connection to any gender label. “Woman” works for me, as does gender neutral, but I avoid actively identifying as anything. I am me. I know I am not a man. I’m not against being a woman. I’m also not attached to being one.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

David’s work would make great skirt prints. I would wear the first one with a black tank top (with a black cardigan on top for work) and black flats in the summer.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte
1 year ago

I was about to ask if only David was gonna share his and noticed Paul’s. Those look neat. The symbol is sort of reminiscent of an apple on top of a peach for some reason, and the patterns look great.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent, Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent, Bard of the New Movement
1 year ago

Some may argue as to what ‘art’ constitutes, but:

comment image

Look at this beautiful, terrible boy.

(It’s Teruteru Hanamura from Super Danganronpa 2, who I am very attached to despite him being a trash fire. Normally he is chef, but chef must also sleep.)

rv97
rv97
1 year ago

The second picture makes me feel nostalgic for some reason, I don’t know why.

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
1 year ago

Happy International Women’s Day!!!

Psiana
Psiana
1 year ago

My favorites are the 2nd and 3rd piece but i think all of them look great.

@Naglfar
I use she/they pronouns. For me it doesn’t matter which pronouns people use, i don’t have a preference.
I think if a person has listened she/they as their pronouns its okay to use either option.