alt-right andrew anglin anti-Semitism daily stormer men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny money down the toilet racism schadenfreude

Allegedly cash-strapped Daily Stormer declares: “We’re Laying Off Staff Because You Didn’t Send Money”

Will this be the Daily Stormer’s downfall?

By David Futrelle

You hate to see it. Nazi trash site The Daily Stormer is apparently running out of money. In a morose but petulant post today, head Stormer Andrew Anglin threatened to lay off his staff and cut back on his coverage of such vital issues as Jews, race war, women not deserving rights, and Jews unless his readers coughed up more bucks bitcoins than they’ve donated so far.

“I’ve given 30-day notices to most of the staff,” Anglin began,

because even after I told you people that the site lost $50,000 last year, fewer than 60 of you decided to send money, for a total of less than $5,000. The costs for January were more than $10,000.

Generally speaking, it’s not a good sign when you refer to your readers and potential donors as “you people.”

Anglin then threatened to downsize drastically to just him:

But hey, if people don’t want to send money, we’ll do things differently. We’re going to downsize, and basically, I’ll be the only writer. There will obviously be many fewer articles, but that’s just the deal.

How will the internet survive this terrible loss?

Anglin warned that even the RACE WAR section of the site could end up in the dumpster of history. And how can you have a race war without a race war section?

“It is impossible to communicate how depressing this is for me personally,” Anglin continues.

I thought that we were promoting an agenda here that people believed in, but it seems that virtually all of you do not believe in this enough to send $5.

SOMETIMES I DOUBT YOUR COMMITMENT TO SPARKLE MOTION RACE WAR NOW

It certainly does not give me hope for the future. This is the only large site promoting this agenda, telling the truth about the Jews, and attempting to save white people. And we’re now shrinking an already tiny staff because the overwhelming majority of the readership apparently doesn’t give a shit.

Where is the love for his hate site?

Honestly, if I didn’t have personal reasons for doing this, I would just give up and go make a lot more money doing something else.

Really? Who’s going to hire you, dude? Is there really a big demand for petulant Nazis who lose multi-million dollar lawsuits out there?

You all know what I’ve been through to run this site. And that is what it is. I am an adult and made these decisions and I’ll deal with the consequences. But the lack of support certainly makes me question how much more I should give.

How about none, give none.

For the time being, I will keep the site running. But considering the lack of support, I can’t promise that I’ll do it indefinitely. I might prefer to write books, or do something else. I have to think about my own personal future, and seeing as how little this site means to the readers, it’s hard to justify putting this much energy into it.

Why not take that energy and learn how to play the world’s tiniest violin, because nobody else is going to play it for you.

I guess we’ll just have to see if Anglin yelling “you ungrateful wretches” at a bunch of angry Nazis is an effective way to get them to cough up more money for his hate site.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

8 months ago

Where even is Little Nazi Andy these days? Last I heard he was hiding from a lawsuit.

Anyway, right now I’m imagining him in a bunker as his website falls apart. Sort of like this:
All Nazis are cowards.

As I noted in the other thread, he seems to be keeping our old friend Pomidor Quixote on board, so he’ll still keep providing awful takes.

NautaliaC
NautaliaC
8 months ago

What would be the ‘best’ skill on Anglin’s resume, “Knows how to monetize a temper tantrum?”

Snowberry
Snowberry
8 months ago

I’m wondering if any of the following are true:

• There aren’t very many actual Nazis on the site anymore, just people who are checking up on what the Nazis are doing. This is eating up bandwidth while not providing commensurate donations.

• They’ve been running on fumes since moving over to the Dark Web, because Nazis largely don’t do Bitcoin for whatever reason.

• A lot of formerly well-off Nazis were identified, reported to their employers, and now no longer have the income to spare.

Victorious Parasol
8 months ago

Is he really expecting that this guilt trip will trigger a rise in donations? SMH.

If petulance could be converted into fuel, we could finally get some use out of the Neo-Nazi movement.

Tohka
Tohka

@Snowberry

I would assume all three tbh. I wonder about commenters not even agreeing with anything they’re saying but still adding fuel to their fire with comments saying that they do just for kicks. The engagement is still there but it’s hollow and meaningless.

Guess being a spiteful cretin nazi that hides being the excuse of satire and joking when confronted isn’t well paying.

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner

@NautaliaC:

It certainly wouldn’t be geography. He apparently doesn’t know West Virginia is a state, even though he’s from Ohio.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Two thoughts.

One, the parallels between Nazis and MRAs continue. Paul Elam did a similar post demanding AVFM readers of little means go on an all ramen diet so they can contribute.

Two, right wingers are the easiest marks around. How pathetic are you if you can’t grift them well?

It's just me
It's just me
8 months ago

Thank you for the Donnie Darko reference! One of my favorite films!

@NautaliaC

What would be the ‘best’ skill on Anglin’s resume

Running from the law? He does that surprisingly well given his general incompetence. And that’s actually a somewhat useful skill for the terminally corrupt.

@Snowberry

This seems the most likely to me. Every grift eventually comes to an end, and his 15 seconds of fame are up. Fascists move on to the next big thing and that’s that. Hopefully this signals that the alt-right’s time in the sun is coming to a close and that things will get better.

@Yutolia
Maybe his knowledge of geography is stuck in the antebellum south, like his views on race. Or he’s just nostalgic.
comment image

Sarity
Sarity

@Snowberry

I worry about possibility 4: white supremacists are in power, neo-Nazis are emboldened, far right talking points have gone mainstream and facism is on the rise worldwide, making it redundant to fund hate sites like TDS any longer.

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
8 months ago

@Naglfar: possible. But I think he’s just uninformed.

@Yutolia
That’s probably it. Though it still seems weird that he wouldn’t know seeing as he’s from nearby. I know Ohio’s a bigger state than the one I live in, but one would think he’d know the surrounding states.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa
8 months ago

My darker, grimmer take on this? They’re going to more extreme sites where behavior is even worse.

Rey
Rey

I’m actually losing it

Is the only way to donate to them seriously cryptocurrency? Is this for real?

personalpest
personalpest
8 months ago

@Jarnsaxa: You mean like 4chan? Because I can’t imagine what other site would be even worse than Daily Stormer. Anyway, this is still great news, no matter why it’s happening. The less damage Anglin can do, the better.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

“Monthly spending for Daily Stormer:

Staff: 1100 dollars
Website hosting: 200 dollars
Racism: 8000 dollars
Lawsuits: 0 dollars
Being on the run from lawsuits: 700 dollars

You fuckers help me with budgeting, my website is dying you selfish pricks!”

In all seriousness though, how the actual fuck is this dude spending 10k on a website per MONTH? Like, how many people is he hiring to write hate articles about non-whites and wimmens? What the fuck is he eating? We know he’s not paying out for those lawsuits.

Flyboy
Flyboy

Boo. Fucking. Hoo.

Dreamer
Dreamer
8 months ago

Just tried to donate to Dave here. Platform won’t let me unless I use PayPal. The credit card button won’t work. Help! This stuff about donating to a chit site got me thinking about donating to a useful one. Will keep trying. How about we all try if we have any means?

Snowberry
Snowberry

@Paradoxical Intention:

Maybe he’s living out of hotels now? Even for a relatively cheap hotel, the per-day rates really add up. I’ve never stayed at a place that was less than $70 per day, and that’s $2100 per month. And then if he’s eating out for every meal, drinking lots of coffee while he runs the site from various random Starbucks. Perhaps even traveling between cities every week to make it harder to track him? And the owner of whatever server he’s using on the dark web might be charging him through the nose. Some possibilities, plus perhaps some even stupider stuff like buying new clothes all the time instead of washing them.

@Paradoxical Intention

Is it possible he’s using drugs? The original Nazis used large amounts of stimulants and Hitler was addicted for the last few years of his life, so maybe Andrew is following in their footsteps.

This reminds me a bit of Stefan Molyneux’s “death spiral“ a few months ago. By which I mean, it sounds fishy but if it is real, the schadenfreude is delicious.

@Snowberry

Maybe he’s living out of hotels now?

That could be it. Living out of hotels is not cheap. Do we know what country he’s in? That could give us a clue.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

This is so funny, my god. The whiny, petulant, little manbaby haranguing his readers for not being properly committed to nazism.

Although I do worry, as some folk here have already suggested, that his site is dying because white supremacy has gone so mainstream.

Kalish
Kalish
8 months ago

To be honest, I don’t think the site’s dying because of the mainstreaming of white supremacist ideas in general; it’s because Anglin and Co lost an alt-right culture war. There’s a particularly chapter, unfortunately I can’t remember which, of Jeff Sparrow’s book “Fascists Among Us” looking at the debate between different schools of thought in the alt-right regarding topics like accelerationism and public actions, from which I get the impression Anglin’s school of thought lost [just so tragic, I know].

There’s also the fact that extremist groups have splintered since the Charlottesville Rally, with widely disparate ideas regarding ideological specifics, objectives and methodology. One, albeit very high-profile, incredibly extreme example, is AWD. AWD is so radial, so properly batshit insane, that other white supremacist groups tend to steer clear. Then you have an organisation like the League of the South, who, while sharing many beliefs with white supremacist organisations, have different objectives [hence the term neo-Confederates]. With these groups splintering up and having their own methods for communicating information and ideas the idea of a “big tent” neo-Nazi site, like TDS, has been made redundant. It’s a different world to 2013.

Lainy
Lainy
8 months ago

Has my reading comprehension just gone down hill or did that make no since

EverythingIsRidiculous
EverythingIsRidiculous
8 months ago

Oh, I am enjoying his tantrum. And kicking in a few bucks to We Hunted the Mammoth as the closest I can get to the opposite of donating to those dopes. I only regret that there’s no way for me to remove money from the Daily Stormer’s account.

epitome of incomprehensibility

He also wrote:

Below are instructions on how to send money, just in case this made any of you feel guilty.

The whiny-ness of it all!!!

The part I’m confused about is the picture on the bottom of the page (archived from the site, same link as David’s). It shows a woman in a red dress running away with a piglet and a policeman is chasing her.

What does that mean? Not giving money to a racist website = stealing animals? I have no idea.

Ginger
8 months ago

Andy sounds like a disgraced televangelist.

Catalpa
Catalpa
8 months ago

AWD is so radial, so properly batshit insane

Please avoid “crazy talk” on this website, thanks! Being an asshole isn’t a mental illness.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
8 months ago

One less radical nazi site is alway good.

If he have 3 peoples on staff like he claim, 10k per month don’t seem absurd.

@Kalish : while the white supremacists are in power, I have the general feeling that less people are racists, and they are less rabidly racist than before. The thing being, the electoral system put that shrinking minority to power, so it’s very little consolation (plus it slow down their demise too !), but that would check out with how all thoses specialized hate sites are dying.

occasional reader
occasional reader
8 months ago

Daily Stormer is melting ? What a world, what a world…

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa
8 months ago

There’s always something worse. Maybe something on the Dark Web, I don’t know.

I’ve stopped thinking there’s a bottom to the hatred in this country.

Onager
Onager

@Rey:

Is the only way to donate to them seriously cryptocurrency? Is this for real?

There has been a concerted effort to cut the far right out of standard sources of online income, like PayPal, Patreon, YouTube monetisation, ads on sites, etc. It isn’t perfect but this, combined with booting them off high profile social media, means Angry Anglin is stuck having to issue rather long and tedious instructions on how to get Bitcoin to his current hidey-hole.

LollyPop
LollyPop
8 months ago

Love that these personal responsibility, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, the world owes you nothing types go into full-on toddler mode when it turns out their personal pet projects are nothing but a big fat loss. This is the world you want (in fact, the world you want is much worse), deal with it!

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
8 months ago

Re the apparent (???) fraying at the edges of the more extreme far-right hate groups and whether this is at least partly because they’re being assimilated into the mainstream – that is arguably what’s happening in the UK, as the tory party now openly embraces a lot of the positions and individual people such as Yaxley-Lennon (“Tommy Robinson”) that were formerly key elements of far right minority groups.

So on the one hand they’re less likely to go under the radar, but on the other hand they’re normalised to the point of being s.o.p.

(Conversely, the Corbyn-et-al side of the labour party have been so successful in getting at least some sensible positions back within the bounds of the thinkable and sayable again that the tories have been forced to adopt them – such as taking a couple of rail franchises back into state hands when the franchise runs out.

Although with the tories in charge, what’s the betting they simply use state money to build them back up a bit and then re-sell them at a knock-down price for private profit … not like they’ve got form for doing exactly that, or anything … )

Nequam
Nequam
8 months ago

Andy sounds like a disgraced televangelist.

Could easily be his next grift if he pulls off a suitable “come to Jesus” act.

Kalish
Kalish
8 months ago

Just as a follow-up to what I said before,

I’m new here, and I’m guessing that by “in power” readers of this blog are referring, mostly, to the election of Donald Trump. While DJT, and I’d argue 2016-17 in particular, was definitely the apex of the mainstreaming of white supremacist thought, there’s an amazing example of how the GOP was already in bed with radical elements well beforehand.

In 2009, the DHS produced a brief that discussed the possibility of Obama’s election being a catalyst for right-wing groups of all kinds [white supremacists, constitutional militias, etc] to have a surge in armed action. When it was released there was widespread anger from Republicans on Capitol Hill, to the point where funding for the branch that made it was cut, and its investigations into domestic terrorism ceased.

The takeaway? The actions we’ve seen from the Trump administration [“There are many fine people on both sides”, defunding the DHS’ ability to combat white supremacy, etc] are sad progressions of a Republican policy that dates back at least 10 years.

Link to the report, for anyone who’s curious: https://fas.org/irp/eprint/rightwing.pdf

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
8 months ago

The costs for January were more than $10,000.

I don’t know why I should believe anything in this quote, including “for” and “were.”

gijoel
gijoel
8 months ago

@Paradoxical Rumor has it high-tailed it to Cambodia. You could probably live quite comfortably on $30/day there. Assuming that ‘s where he is.

@Nequam

Could easily be his next grift if he pulls off a suitable “come to Jesus” act.

He could do that, but seeing how Roosh’s Jesus moment failed I don’t know how much it would help him.

@Kalish
I haven’t seen that report before, but I’m really not surprised that Republicans would try to shove it under the rug. The GOP is a threat to America and they really don’t want people to know that.

@gijoel
I can’t imagine he’d be liking Cambodia all that much. Not too many white people there.

Amtep
Amtep
8 months ago

Will no one spare a tear for his poor staffers, who will no longer be able to make their daily bread by promoting white supremacy online? They had a good thing going and now they’ll be on the streets, begging for scraps like some ordinary degenerate.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
8 months ago

@Amtep let’s not get ahead of ourselves. I promise to think about them as soon as nobody is hated for its physical characteristics, nobody die from domestic abuse, and everybody get a decent living wage.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
8 months ago

It’s not surprising that donations are falling off. Now that white supremacy has gone more mainstream, it’s not all that subversive anymore. I bet a lot of the original edgelord audience has started to age out of their teen rebellious phase and they’re losing interest. Going Nazi hasn’t helped them get girls, get a job, or find a respected place in society. The alt right isn’t offering any new ideas or solutions. All it does is manipulate the rage of young men to keep the billionaire class in power. That’s not to say they’re abandoning their core hateful beliefs, but some of them are probably not as engaged with Daily Stormer as they used to be.

Also, the far right needs authoritarian cult leaders to worship, and Anglin is hampered by having to stay in hiding. He can’t do rallies, book tours, or TV appearances. Why should people donate generically to his website when there are far more charismatic leaders out there who don’t need to be paid in cryptocurrency?

And then there’s the small problem of the alt right being generally unemployed/unemployable, and thus not having spare dollars to donate. I’m surprised Russian dark money hasn’t picked up the slack.

I love this unintentional self-own. “I’m going to write all the articles myself, and then you’ll be sorry.”

And really, what loss would there be if there were fewer articles? How many different ways are there to say “I’m full of sexual resentment and blame marginalized out-groups for my failures”?

Bina
8 months ago

Welp, I have only one thing to say to all this. Jeeves, cue the orchestra:

@Buttercup

Apparently quite a few ways, seeing how many different kinds of awful people are engaged in that right now. It’s a range that can be best measured by the Bristol stool scale.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

@Jarnsaxa

I’ve stopped thinking there’s a bottom to the hatred in this country.

I don’t know, the incels have to at least come pretty close. They seem to hate everybody, including themselves.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

Well done, DNC! /sarc

Whether this is actually shenanigans to sabotage Sanders or not, just the appearance that something shady is going on is going to end up helping Trump, you idiots! You’re mistrusted too much already, and not without justification, to be doing anything unusual with reporting vote totals. Especially since you’ve not exactly made a secret of your desire to cheat Sanders if it looks like he might be on the way to winning:

This isn’t, by the way, about Sanders per se. It’s about the process, and the necessity for impartiality and for the appearance of impartiality. This is not the election year to be anything other than straight shooters. Just publish the damn numbers already. Be better.

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner

@Naglfar:

It’s possible his uninformed-ness comes from learning history in a white nationalist setting.

He wrote an article about some police in West Virginia being reprimanded for being white supremacists, and was talking about why weren’t these Virginia cops sent to Charlottesville from “western Virginia”. I think his geography lessons might have stopped at the confederacy because from his own statements, he does not know that WV is it’s own state.

Of course I can’t find the article, but I know some of you around here have seen it on other forums.

Curious_Diversions
Curious_Diversions
8 months ago

It certainly does not give me hope for the future.

Conversely, this is one of the few bright spots to give me hope for the future. Not a large one, maybe like a firefly.

Although Sarity is more likely correct, re: Nazis in power.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Surplus,

The DNC does not run the Iowa caucuses, the Iowa Democratic Party does. The DNC can try to sway state parties one way or another regarding how states choose their presidential delegates, but ultimately are not controlling it.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte
8 months ago

I’m afraid I am also with Sarity and Kalish on this one. TDS is failing because their platform is going mainstream on a global scale, and it’s so much safer to just pretend your policy is about “strong borders” and “law enforcement” than it is to outright say you hate POC. You get all the benefits of being a Nazi, whilst not getting any backlash for promoting their policies.

Let us also remember that this was how Nazism originally came into power. Even among Nazis, the terms they used for mass extermination were “relocation” and other such euphemisms and coded language.

They no longer need to rely on obscure website for recruitment when you have already captured the whole system, and the party in power is already enacting genocide.