antifeminism men who should not ever be with women ever misandry MRA reddit

Feminism defeated by devastating new “earplug” argument

Checkmate, feminists!

By David Futrelle

Well, feminism was fun while it lasted, but now it’s time for us to negotiate our terms of surrender to the Men’s Rights Activists. And all because of this post in the MRAmemes subreddit by some dude called MRA-automatron-2kb..

Yes, that’s right, the earplugs in the lavender-colored box are somewhat more effective than the ones in the blue box. And you get a few more of them at a slightly lower price.

Well, you could get that if you were a lady, because obviously men are barred by law from buying anything lavender. Clear misandry — and clear proof that it is men, not women, who are discriminated against by boxes of earplugs. Checkmate, feminists!

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

9 months ago

I don’t see anything stopping a man from buying those earplugs (other than toxic masculinity). They’re not locked behind the counter where you have to prove you are a woman to access them. And it’s good that they’re not there, otherwise it would probably be hard for women like me to buy them.

It’s actually unusual that those earplugs cost less. Usually items marketed to women in different colors cost more (i.e. the “pink tax”).

Serious question: On some level, do MRAs realize how ridiculous this sounds? Do they see how obviously bullshit this argument is even by their standards? Or are they just that idiotic?

Definitely not Steve
Definitely not Steve
9 months ago

Well fuck, I’m convinced. Guess I better register a Reddit account and start complaining about all of the women in my workplace.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
9 months ago

I thought this was going to be a post about how earplugs are misandry because women wearing them are harder to sexually harass. So, kudos to an MRA for actually surprising me.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate
9 months ago

Gee, those menz had better behave themselves, then. You don’t want Walgreens after you, especially when you buy those women’s earplugs and you’re not a woman. And everyone knows “T-shaped” is secret code for “men’s”.

MRAs are some silly folk. Too bad they’re not fictional characters.

Karalora
Karalora

@wwth

But if you think about it, aren’t MEN the ones who need to block out WOMEN’S screeching? So really this is, like, double turbo misandry!

(Sarcasm, just in case it wasn’t clear.)

@Karalora

double turbo misandry

…is the name of my new feminist hair metal band.

Ibrahim
Ibrahim
9 months ago

I didn’t even understand the argument until I read the comments and realized lavender is supposedly a feminine color. Just didn’t get it. Absurd.

Ibrahim
Ibrahim
9 months ago

Oh, just noticed it actually says women’s earplugs on the box. It sucks being a man in today’s world, doesn’t it.
Seriously though, who has time to even go around noticing this stuff?

Pip
Pip
9 months ago

… the T-shaped ones aren’t default standard ear plugs. They’re a specialty shape to make them fit a little better in certain kinds of ears. The “women’s” plugs there are just standard foam, in purple.

If you compare the “women’s” purple foam to the standard default blue foam, it’s $4.49 for 12 pairs (about $0.37 a pair) for the women’s and $4.59 for 14 pairs (about $0.32 a pair) for the standard. So if you consider the standard gender-non-specific ear plugs to be “men’s”, then men are still getting the better deal, and women are still subject to the pink tax.

Or, in this case, the purple tax.

numerobis
numerobis
9 months ago

I hate that shape of foam ear plug, but they’ve always been cheaper than the T-shaped ones (which I also hate). Independent of the colour.

For my ear canals, which must be weird I guess since nobody else in the world likes them, the ones that work best are the cylinder ear plugs. Which happen to be the cheapest.

@numerobis
Since I’m a musician and I go to lots of concerts, I’ve tried a lot of kinds of earplugs. If your ears are unusually shaped, try these. They change shape to fit wars and they allow low volume sound in so you can have a conversation while wearing them while blocking louder sounds.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
9 months ago

Even more misandric, the women’s earplugs are labeled “New Item!”

Tovius

@weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
I thought it was going to be: “If we wear earplugs, we can’t hear you, so we win,” but I guess that would be too on the nose.

Cheesynougats
Cheesynougats
9 months ago

I got the opposite of the pink tax when I bought power tools; the pink ones were 10% cheaper. My masculinity survived the hit remarkably well.

Aerinea
Aerinea
9 months ago

One thing. One thing without a gorram Pink Tax on it and misogynists of all kinds say sexism is over, and has even gone misandrist. May the gods help them if they ever truly experienced discrimination.

Aerinea
Aerinea
9 months ago

Also, those kinds of earplugs suck for me. Audio overstimulation vs the sensation of something in my ear is an awful dilemma for me that I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

Moggie
Moggie

@Katherine the Adequate:

And everyone knows “T-shaped” is secret code for “men’s”.

T = Testosterone.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate
9 months ago

Moggie, ahh ha! Thanks for cracking the secret code. You’ve uncovered the misandrist plot for sure!

Moggie
Moggie
9 months ago

If you look on the Walgreens website, you can find a box of own-brand non-gendered earplugs which appears to be identical to the lady ones, apart from colour, and cheaper (14 for $4.59 vs 12 for $4.49).

The reviews for the ladyplugs are terrible. One woman complains that she can still hear her husband talking!

Tovius

@weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

My first thought was that feminism was over because they could just put in earplugs to block out what woman are saying, but I suppose that might be a bit too on the nose.

(Sorry if I end up posting this twice, I think my first post got eaten)

Prith kDar
Prith kDar
9 months ago

T = Testosterone? That’s just what the femilluminazis want men to think. A T is actually a subliminal schematic for the female reproductive system.

Lainy
Lainy
9 months ago

Dude should see how much my razor cost compared to my husband’s and then get back to me

occasional reader
occasional reader
9 months ago

Hmm, i am probably stupid, but are not earplugs unisex ? I had work in an airport, and earplugs were just standardized soft plugs distributed among workers regardless of their genre.
The MRA commentator is ludicrous, of course, but so is Walgreens, in my opinion.

Masse_Mysteria
Masse_Mysteria
9 months ago

My first thought was that maybe they’re cheaper because of the “new item!” thing, so that people would by them just to try them out, though I don’t know if that’s how earplugs are marketed.

But no, it must be the misandry.

Rei Malebario
Rei Malebario
9 months ago

Well, it does say “women’s” on them and, if you don’t think about it very much, you might think that there’s some biological reason why there might be differences between the earplugs since they’re things that are inserted into you in some way. Of course, going from there to “therefore men are discriminated against!” is one hell of a leap.
And I’m pretty sure that when it comes to earplugs, biological sex doesn’t, in fact, make any difference.

But I have a pretty severe perfume allergy and I tried a number of different deodorants that all claimed to be allergy-neutral and I’ve thus far found only one that actually is and is also somewhat reliably available and that is from Clinique.
And they used to market this scent-neutral deodorant both in gun-metal grey container labeled “Clinique for Men” and a pink container labeled “Clinique for Women” which was unaccountably sligthtly more expensive.
A friend of mine actually suggested that they might not be identical and that women’s armpits might be, on average, slightly more or less acidic or in some other way qualitatively different from men’s. While I thought that sounded a little dubious, it wasn’t outright science-fiction – it’s not entirely impossible that Clinique might have two different formulations for scent-neutral deodorants.
But a couple of years ago, I was looking to resupply in the tax-free shop in an airport and couldn’t find the gun-metal grey roll-on anywhere and it turned out that Clinique had stopped selling the “for men” and “for women” grey and pink versions and were now only selling one scent-neutral deodorant in a pastel-green container, so I guess that’s that settled. 😉

(I liked the gun-metal grey better but that’s mainky because I’m not keen on pastels.)

Mogwitch
Mogwitch

@occasional reader
They are probably coding female instead of just saying smaller, for marketing reasons. I find standard ear plugs a bit too big to fit at all ( I think they fit the average woman but not as well as the average man ) so would buy these if there weren’t any available clearly marked size small. I’d prefer an unambiguous size marker, of course.

Has anyone read Criado-Perez’ „Invisible Women“.. There’s a lot of info about how most safety equipment ( like earplugs) is usually designed for the average sized man, and then sold as if it’s for the average person. The stuff about car safety features is absolutely horrifying. It’s still assumed women don’t drive for safety requirements. It’s bad enough in ear plugs where its just the size but a lot of safety equipment, including seatbelts and airbags, assume no-one has breasts.

Moggie
Moggie
9 months ago

At work, we keep a box of earplugs outside our data centre for people working in there (DCs are noisy places). They’re not gendered, so I guess feminism has won at my workplace?

Malice W Underland
Malice W Underland
9 months ago

@numerobis, yeah, the difference in price here is the shape, and possibly also the material, as those yellow and pink stripey ones seem to be made out of a different kind of foam from the cylinder ones.

I think “women’s” earplugs might be a good and necessary thing, as I strongly suspect that women have smaller ear canals on average (although if that’s the case, I don’t know why they don’t just label these as “small” so it’s clear what the difference actually is, and, you know, because not everyone with small earholes is a woman).

I’m a woman with small ear canals, and to get foam plugs into my ears, I have to roll each one agressively between my thumb and middle finger and then stick it in my ear quickly before it expands again, and once they’re in, the pressure is a bit uncomfortable. A couple of times, male coworkers at noisy jobs have asked me why I did that, and when I explained, they said that they could just stick them right in, no problem.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
9 months ago

And those lavender ear plugs, per their label, are also “ultra soft.” Ultra soft! If that isn’t misandry, I don’t know what is.

@Moggie

One woman complains that she can still hear her husband talking!

She definitely needs new misandry-plugs.

@Kat

I doubt these men would want ultra soft though, it would be too feminine and emasculating. Real men only use cactus and rock earplugs. /s

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera
9 months ago

I’m not alone! I’ve had the same problem with earplugs. I can’t slip them in, the pressure as they expand is really uncomfortable and they *still* don’t stay in. As the plug expands against my canal it kind of…squeezes itself out and then falls off. The same thing happens with earbud headphones. I just can’t keep the things in.

One thing I’ve tried with earplugs that helps is to make a “custom pair” by trimming some cheap regular foam plugs to size, using nail scissors to do it. Then they’re small enough to fit and stay in with no problem.

Re: products being designed with men in mind. I am starting to see it more and more. Smartphones, for example: many Android models are now too big to comfortably fit in my hand. They’re fine for the average male hand though.

Fetch
Fetch
9 months ago

Probably the actual equivalent – same shape, same foam – to the Girls Only plugs are to the right of them on the shelf. This is a very carefully framed photo comparing two different products, not the same-but-gendered product.

Moggie
Moggie

@Naglfar:

Real men only use cactus and rock earplugs.

Real men don’t use earplugs, because noise is good! If you want to sell more earplugs to men, you’d need to put “tactical” in the name, and use a camo pattern on the packaging.

(I do use PPE when needed, but I’m a soy beta cuck)

@Moggie
Unfortunately, lots of men appear to think that way. Whenever I go to concerts or other loud events I bring ear protection and use it if it gets too loud, but I rarely see anyone else using it. There seems to be a reason why men are much more likely to experience hearing loss compared to women.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
9 months ago

I was gonna say, the T probably stands for tactical.

@Naglfar – MGTOW would seize on that as an excuse to point out that men spend their lives in hazardous conditions (power tools, the military, shooting ranges, rock bands, jet planes, loud motors and industrial equipment) while women get to laze around in 10 decibel conditions. Except that quieter leaf blowers are available, and rock bands don’t need to have the amps turned up to 11, and not wearing hearing protection is 100% on them.

Harley Davidson introduced quieter exhaust systems some years ago, and the knee-jerk response among many buyers has been to install illegal aftermarket exhaust systems to restore the noise level. Gotta be able to give the finger to society, even at the cost of their hearing.

Frederic Christie
9 months ago

This is their sloppy, shitty attempt to respond to the pink tax. I hope. In which case, the fact that men could buy it is moot.

The real response is that the fact that the item is NEW not only establishes male as default, as always, but also helps explain the price point…

@Buttercup

But it’s oppression to have to turn the amps down or buy a quieter leaf blower. /s

Gotta be able to give the finger to society, even at the cost of their hearing.

Destroying one’s ears to own the libs?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ buttercup

rock bands don’t need to have the amps turned up to 11

But it’s one louder!

@Alan Robertshaw

But it’s one louder!

Why don’t you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

kupo
kupo
9 months ago

This is reminding me of how my doctor told me she feels bad for my hearing loss because it wasn’t preventable (it was that or die) and it happened when I was a baby. She said she feels differently when it’s an adult who goes to too many concerts. It made me pretty uncomfortable because whether or not a health condition was preventable shouldn’t be a factor at all for my doctor. I feel bad for the HoH/deaf adults with “preventable” hearing loss that she treats.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ naglfar

These go to eleven.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
9 months ago

These are the only type of earplugs I can wear – I guess I have small canals. Like a previous poster I have to roll them small and can always feel them in.
I just can’t take the loud noises anywhere. I actually started wearing them at the gym I was going to for Zumba class. The music was so loud in a little room. What was amazing is that I could still hear everything perfectly well.
Having ear plugs with me lets me enjoy things like bands at street festivals. I can’t even go near a live band it hurts; the ear plugs let me get close.
Until these style ear plugs came along I never could wear them, I couldn’t get them in my ears. I can’t even wear earbud headphones because if I can even get them in my ear, they never stay in.

I do buy the cheapest with the most protection – I’ve had bright pink “girl” ones and boring beige “boy” ones. Frankly, I like the pretty color better!

MissEB47 (Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)
MissEB47 (Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)
9 months ago

Masse_Mysteria-I was thinking the same about the ‘new item’ thing. Most products for women are more expensive than products for men, even when the product is pretty much identical.

Moggie-Lol! It is not surprising that she could still hear her husband talk. Fun fact. Ear plugs
in general are pretty bad at blocking sound, since most of what we hear is actually the sound vibrations moving through our skulls. The best ear plugs only block about as much sound as us putting our fingers in our ears. I have very sensitive ears, so even with ear plugs, I still hear EVERYTHING. It really makes being a night shift worker suck.

sunnysombrera-I get the same problem. The pressure ear plugs cause can make taking them out extremely difficult and extremely painful. I had to cut them back, too.

Moggie
Moggie
9 months ago

The first time I wore a pair of noise-cancelling headphones, I felt like a medieval peasant being shown a motorbike: this is sorcery! But so useful! They won’t do much to block sudden noises, but for steady sound like machinery they are amazing, if you can afford them.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
9 months ago

Moggie – Wait till you try out the new ‘Noice’-canceling headphones.

(Credit to Seth Meyers’ joke writers on Daily Show)

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Naglfar, Alan, et al:
Back when I attended The Who’s ‘The Kids Are Alright’ tour at the Tacoma Dome, there were folks handing out earplugs in the parking lot as you came in. Granted, this was in 1989, and I don’t think toxic masculinity had yet reached the same quasi-religious ‘help help I’m being repressed’ level it has now.

(Yes, I was there the night Pete Townshend managed to injure his hand doing his trademark windmill riff and had to miss the encore as a result.)

I have earplugs both for concerts and for some times I was sharing a room with someone who snored loudly. I always used the little cylindrical ones.

AcidTrial
AcidTrial
9 months ago

We used to wear earplugs like the “T-shaped” ones in the food processing plant I worked at between semesters during university. They fell out of everyone’s ears all the time, but were helpfully held together by a length of plastic string that sat behind your neck so you never had to worry about losing an earplug in the vegetables we were working with, which I suppose was a plus. We probably wasted a lot less new sets of earplugs that way, too – on any given shift my plugs probably fell out six or seven times, and no one was going to work in that plant without hearing protection. I wonder if the “women’s”-style earplugs would have done a better job of staying in place.

I’ve gone to a lot of concerts over the years sans-earplugs. My friend and I used to always joke about having to yell at each other on the drive home because we couldn’t hear anything after the bands blasting us with heavy guitars and drums for a few hours, but now that I’m older with a very real amount of hearing loss, I have to say I regret that.

Also, if you look at the right-hand side of the picture, the next product over is a box of 18 pairs of waterproof earplugs. Based on the source here, I’d be willing to bet that those are actually even cheaper and that what we’re seeing here is just typical cherry-picking to prove a non-existant point.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ jenora

This is the moment that Pete Townsend permanently damaged his hearing. Courtesy of Keith Moon adding a few more pyros than was planned.

But I used to work in live music and I often wore earplugs until I actually needed to hear the band. Although it’s less volume and more waveform that can be a problem.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
9 months ago

“Earplug argument against feminism? Usually when I pull out my buttplug, there’s some antifeminist discourse on it.”

Moon Custafer

@AcidTrial:

Ugh, I used to have to wear those to go swimming as a kid (I was prone to ear infections at the time). Horrible waxy texture, like fiberglass insulation dipped in olive oil.