antifeminism men who should not ever be with women ever misandry MRA reddit

Feminism defeated by devastating new “earplug” argument

Checkmate, feminists!

By David Futrelle

Well, feminism was fun while it lasted, but now it’s time for us to negotiate our terms of surrender to the Men’s Rights Activists. And all because of this post in the MRAmemes subreddit by some dude called MRA-automatron-2kb..

Yes, that’s right, the earplugs in the lavender-colored box are somewhat more effective than the ones in the blue box. And you get a few more of them at a slightly lower price.

Well, you could get that if you were a lady, because obviously men are barred by law from buying anything lavender. Clear misandry — and clear proof that it is men, not women, who are discriminated against by boxes of earplugs. Checkmate, feminists!

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
9 months ago

In my area, cheap disposable earplugs don’t seem to be gendered, but usually come in “large” and “small”. I seem to fit the small size, despite being a very tall man. I usually reuse them a few times, washing away traces of earwax.

I guess if I wanted to be a real man(TM) I could just put candle wicks in my ear canals and not take them out until the candle’s ready…

Schnookums Von Fancypants, Naughty Basic Horse
Schnookums Von Fancypants, Naughty Basic Horse
9 months ago

Real men don’t use earplugs, because noise is good! If you want to sell more earplugs to men, you’d need to put “tactical” in the name, and use a camo pattern on the packaging.

I had to laugh at that, because I was *assigned* earplugs (with their own little carrying case and everything) when I was in the Army for use when we were doing the manliest of activities, which was of course shooting things that can’t shoot back at you. One day I forgot to put mine in and I learned just how important they are at the firing range.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Schnookums
That reminds me of this Terminal Lance comic. I would imagine hearing loss isn’t uncommon in any profession involving regular firearm usage.

Moggie
Moggie

@Lumipuna:

Moggie – Wait till you try out the new ‘Noice’-canceling headphones.

Sorry, I can’t really parse that?

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Moggie
I think this is the joke, but I could be reading it wrong:
In slang, ‘noice’ (pronounced ‘NOY-ss’) is a word that some people find annoying. Thus, ‘noice’-cancelling headphones would prevent having to hear people say it.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ Buttercup;

response among many buyers has been to install illegal aftermarket exhaust systems to restore the noise level.

The urban legend on this is, “to make sure automobile drivers hear you”… Though in my experience, the only situation that extra noise would help is if I’m riding in an automobile drivers blind spot. Which I avoid like oil spots at an intersection.

To be seen (and not hurt), modulating lights help waaaayyyy more than loud exhaust

Couch Thing
9 months ago

I guess that’s it then. We have been defeated by their clever arguments. Good game everybody. Good game.

Jesalin, Goddess of Lust & Pleasure
Jesalin, Goddess of Lust & Pleasure
9 months ago

Moggie – Wait till you try out the new ‘Noice’-canceling headphones.

(Credit to Seth Meyers’ joke writers on Daily Show)

If they also function to block out that New Joisey accent, I’m sold!

(No offense meant, but it just really drives me up the wall) :p

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Buttercup, Weird Eddie:
Thing is, Harley Davidson actually applied for a trademark on the sound their motorcycles make, mostly due to some other companies actively trying to make their motorcycles sound more like a Harley. (According to Wikipedia, the application ended up getting withdrawn after six years of fighting over it with several of their competitors trying to block the application.

So, the loud annoying sound of a Harley actually is considered a part of their brand by the company itself and a lot of their customers.

(One of the few Harley riders I knew personally was an engineer in his mid-thirties and a father of two. Because, frankly, those things are more expensive than cars to actually own.)

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
9 months ago

Harley Davidson is on the ropes financially, stock down 44% in last five years 🙁

Apparently the most common “accessory” among Harley riders is the “senior discount”

I did a lot of shooting in the 70s and 80s, we never wore earplugs, we were young and invincible. My doc sez I have hearing loss in the “loud rock music and gunfire” sound range

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I might be considered no fun for hating motorcycles, but I do. Way too much noise!

numerobis
numerobis
9 months ago

I used to hate snow machines because they’re way too much noise and stinky.

Then I learned to ride them and discovered holy shit they’re fun! And way too much noise and stinky.

I have hopes that electrification of transport will help reduce noise generally in our lives — but particularly with mopeds and motorbikes.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Weird Eddie:
Not surprised. Don’t ride myself, but I’ve got a friend who’s a certified Harley Davidson mechanic. As you say, a lot of the folks riding them are old, and the particular cachet of a Harley doesn’t play as well to the modern audience. And a lot of that cachet is ‘I don’t care what other people think.’

Not to mention that, as I said, they’re expensive, very much the conspicuous consumption of the motorcycle set. I suspect that a lot of the people who are finally getting to the point where they might be able to afford a Harley have also had to deal with way too many annoying Harley riders belching smoke at them already, and have no real interest in the brand.

Fabe
Fabe

@Schnookums

There is this one as well.

I think there might be a third one about hearing loss but I’m not 100% sure.

Prith kDar
Prith kDar

@ sunnysombrera:

Have you ever tried reversing your earbuds (i.e., left bud in right ear)? Maybe I just have weird ear canals, but like you say, earbuds just didn’t fit right…until I swapped sides. Now I can sort of just screw them right in and they’re perfect. Of course the channels are reversed, but I can’t really tell. Either my brain learned to swap how they blend too (the way it does when you wear upside down glasses), or I’m not enough of an audiophile to tell the difference.

I also have to do the mash and shove technique for foam plugs. And yeah, after a few hours my ears really hurt.

My tinnitus is so loud these days though, it’s hard to hear over it. Except in the shower, where the sound of the water hitting the tile is like a cap gun going off next to my ears.

Karalora
Karalora
9 months ago

And a lot of that cachet is ‘I don’t care what other people think.’

The irony being that they care quite a lot, or they wouldn’t deliberately work to piss people off with their noise and exhaust.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Karalora:
True.

I suppose it’s really more ‘I don’t have to care what other people think’, by demonstrating that they’re just fine with pissing everybody else off.

occasional reader
occasional reader

> Mogwitch
Oh, ok, what you say makes sense. Different sizes would have been good, indeed, as i am short.
I hate to have things in the ear canal – except when cleaning, of course -, but it was either that or hearing loss (which happened anyway, but in a lesser scale, i hope). Maybe we were to used to resignation to complain about the size ?

Speaking of resignation, “thanks to” the coronavirus, i have a bit more space in transporation, me being eurasian. Of course, this is going with more racist snipes, but i suppose media had not anticipated that using “chinese” as an epithet for the virus would have lead to that.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Reading this thread has made me see that Harley Davidson is a perfect metaphor for the baby boomer generation.

The not caring if they inconvenience others and reduce the quality of life in the community.

The rebellion and counter culture giving way to consumerism.

Turning a lifestyle of freedom into something to expensive to be accessible to younger generations.

It all tracks.

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
9 months ago

In Finland, we have talks of phasing out gas-powered cars by 2040 or so, because electricity is somewhat more climate friendly. Personally, I’ll be sorely disappointed if this won’t also cover motorbikes. (And if it does, it’ll sorely disappoint certain people who “enjoy an auditory sensation” as part their hobby.)

Then again, I don’t understand why motorbikes haven’t been already banned at least in urban areas, since apparently their noise can’t be moderated. Same with certain silly-looking “sport cars” that only show up in nice weather to make explosive fartlike noises.

Ordinary modern cars make just the right amount of noise. In contrast, electric cars and scooters can be actually too quiet, as they easily sneak up on pedestrians.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Lumipuna

There’s been talk of having electric cars make noise on purpose to prevent that problem. I’m not sure what the result will be because they’re are few if any all-electric cars where I live.

Joseph Zowghi
9 months ago

I have learned things about ear canals that I’ve never considered. I must have unusually large ear canals, because sometimes an earplug or bud gets lodged deep in one, and I need tweezers to pull it out. I have noticed, though, some audio products coming with a variety of earbud sizes.

This is one of those areas where I haven’t even been aware of my privilege. The issue of automobile safety equipment being detrimental to the safety of many women is something I’ve never encountered.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Oh, yes. In general, a lot of things were made with men’s bodies in mind. Tools, office furniture, safety equipment, temperatures in office or commercial buildings. Pretty much everything is made for men.

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
9 months ago

I have tiny ear canals, so earplugs are generally a no-go at all for me. The pressure is unbearable.

Neither the pink and yellow ones nor the lavender ones would work. I can feel the pain just looking at them.

Catalpa
Catalpa
9 months ago

Domino’s has electric scooters for delivery in the Netherlands, and they solved the “too quiet” problem by having the scooters play a recording of a human voice saying “Mmmmmm Domino’s mmmm pizza mmmm lekker” (Lekker basically means “tasty” in Dutch).

Paireon
Paireon
9 months ago

Don’t really have any problems with earbuds myself, and I don’t go to enough loud concerts that I need to wear them often; we have some at my job (plant/manufacture with quite a few industrial machines), but since I work office-side I don’t need to wear them.

In any case this is as silly as the flat-earthers who say that because this one particular lake has properties that can supposedly be interpreted as proof the Earth is flat (never mind that every single other place on Earth proves them wrong)…

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
9 months ago

WWTH : made for man slightly taller than the average at the time the thing was conceived, for anything engineered

Made for male med students, for any medicine or behavioral study.

Made for computer science student, for any software.

(the last two obviously also heavily skew toward white skin)

Pretty much everything is made for an absurdly specific demographics. That kill a lot of people, mostly in the unprivilegied categories. I hope our descendants in 100 years will laugh about how *stupid* thoses process are, similar to how we are amazed that washing hand before doing surgery encountered resistance.

Amtep
Amtep
9 months ago

Electric cars are fitted with speakers that make fake engine noises, because the regulatory bodies thought that quiet cars would be dangerous in traffic 🙁

It’s already law in the US, but won’t go in effect until September.

James Hutchings
James Hutchings
9 months ago

The graphic for this post shows a queen checkmating a king, with the help of a white knight. Was that a deliberate choice, to undermine the idea that feminists are being checkmated?

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer
9 months ago

When I was getting driving training, one of the women involved in one of the training videos on how to do ‘four wheel lock-up’ emergency braking didn’t have legs long enough to actually push the brake pedal far enough down to do it.

@Ohlmann:

Made for male med students, for any medicine or behavioral study.

White male med students, at that. (I remember an article years ago, can’t remember the details, about some group having to change the recommendations for, I think it was hypertension thresholds, when they discovered that black men tended to have higher results on one particular test than white men. At first they thought the black med student being used as an example was sick and hadn’t noticed yet, then they started expanding their test across more students…)

And I see you implied this a couple of lines later.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

@James

Hah! Good eye! And a great metaphor to boot.

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

@ Ohlmann:

The only time I’ve heard of that one being reversed was during the Mercury program when apparently Gus Grissom, being an engineer himself, worked pretty closely with the NASA engineers; they ended up having to rebuild the capsule because they’d sized everything to his measurements, and he was the shortest of the astronauts….

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
9 months ago

It’s already law in the US, but won’t go in effect until September.

As a pedestrian – silent cars are HELLA dangerous. Gas cars can sneak up on you already, and I am pretty aware of them attempting to kill me every time I cross the street.

I rely on being able to hear them, so I don’t get hit from a car blazing around a corner, blowing through an intersection, or going the wrong way on a one way street. (Both just by straight up driving the wrong way, and also going like 50 km/h BACKWARDS, because apparently some JERKS think that as long as their car is pointing the right way, they can go the wrong way on a one way? Who DOES that?)

Humans being human is why we need cars to make noise. I don’t trust drivers to follow the rules of the road, because they don’t do that now. Why would they do it with a silent as heck car?

Oh, also, guess who was trying to get an exemption? The cops.

From that article –

The rule is designed to protect sight-impaired pedestrians who have long complained that they can’t hear electric cars and even hybrids approaching an intersection, especially against a red light.

After years of debate, the final rule will require electric cars to emit a sound similar to conventional cars at speeds below 19 mph. Above that, electric cars make enough tire and wind noise that they don’t sound much different than regular cars from outside.

So yeah, I hope other countries are implementing this law, because we need it for multiple reasons. :/

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
9 months ago

+1 to Rhuu. Silent cars are horribly dangerous. If you want to be silent, you need to be able to stop completely in less than a meter, else someone who turn his back to you might do something stupid. Human depend a lot on their hearing, it turn out.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Rhuu:
Sadly, it looks like Canada is not going to be a leader on this one, instead waiting until the EU and US have passed regulations and then just piggy-backing off those.