baby men bad anatomy empathy deficit entitled babies gamergate mansplaining men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny

We Hunted the Mammoth Greatest Hits of 2019: Year of the Vulva

By David Futrelle

I suppose I’m a day late with this one, but I thought I’d take a look back at some of the most popular posts on We Hunted the Mammoth over the last year. SO let’s take a little trip down memory lane and remember 2019: The Year of the Vulva.

The top post of the last year? This one, about the epic mansplainer who decided he needed to “correct” what he saw as the incorrect use of the word “vulva” and who somehow ignited a weird internet firestorm that didn’t end even after a world-famous vagina expert and the dictionary itself told him he was wrong.

Vulvagate: When mansplaining goes so wrong the dictionary itself has to step in

Amazingly, he soon decided to reignite the flames of his wrongness with a little man(splain)ifesto. Here’s my post on the mess that ensued:

Mansplainin’ 2: Electric Vulvaloo! The dude who had a Twitter meltdown over the word “vulva” is back

Speaking of meltdowns, do you remember the him-steria that erupted after Gillette made an ad suggesting that toxic masculinity was, er, toxic? We Hunted the Mammoth does.

Angry dudes prove “toxic masculinity” isn’t a thing by screeching about a Gillette ad and calling other men soy boys, cucks, and f***ots

And then there was that whole kerfuffle over Lady Captain Marvel:

Nick Fury is shown washing dishes: The Top 5 Worst Male-Bashing Elements in Captain Marvel, according to some dingus

Internet babies want Lady Captain Marvel arrested for stealing a motorcycle

And Lady Thor made some guys even madder:

It’s like a hammer to the gut: One Angry Gamer reacts to Lady Thor

Some epic Bad Anatomy going on here:

Bad (Anatomy) Romance: Creepy dudes woo the ladies with some of the most anatomically incorrect DMs of all time

And even more bad anatomy here!

Lips Dick: Angry knobhead mansplains labial anatomy at Jezebel writer

Clearly we need better sex ed. And some remedial courses for more than a few adult men.

Faux lefty skidmarxist Aimee Terese made her WHTM debut in this post:

Lefty podcaster attacks a journalist who reported a creepy DM with an EVEN CREEPIER tweet

A look back at GamerGate and its hateful legacy:

Hate, lies and video games: Six ways #Gamergate poisoned gaming and ruined the online world for the rest of us

So there are ten of my (and your) favorite posts from the last year. But I had to leave out a bunch to keep this post manageable. So stay tuned for WHTM’s Greatest Hits of 2019: Part Deux.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

1 year ago

The correct word is vagina.

(Obviously /s)

kupo
kupo
1 year ago

Isn’t vulva a swedish car manufacturer?

Jurgan
Jurgan
1 year ago

@kupo: You’re thinking of Volvo. Vulva is the principal Latin version of the Bible.

Shadowplay
1 year ago

@Jurgan : You’re thinking of vulgate there. Vulva is the smith of the Gods.

Crip Dyke
1 year ago

My favorite moment of WHTM from 2019 was from the comments of one of the “Angry dudes prove toxic masculinity isn’t a thing” story, when Cat Mara sparked a boatload a delight with this comment.

Without Cat Mara we would have gone the whole year without WHTM sea shanties.

Crip Dyke

@Shadow Play:

You’re thinking of Vulcan. Vulva was married to Fred Flintstone for 16 years before she divorced him and eloped with Betty.

@Crip Dyke
Thank you for that link. I must have missed that post while I was still a lurker, so I didn’t experience it when it happened. Well, it’s still funny almost a year later.

Victorious Parasol

@Crip Dyke

You’re thinking of Wilma. Vulva is a valuable member of Mystery, Incorporated.

@Victorious Parasol
You must be thinking of Velma. Vulva is the Latin for “will,” popularized during the Crusades in the phrase “Deus Vulva.”

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@Naglfar

You’re thinking of Deus Vult. Vulva is a popular American rock band of the 1960s fronted by Lou Reed.

David Rose
David Rose

@Buttercup Q. Skullpants

You must be thinking of the Velvet Underground. Vulva was the first name of the man who was elected president of Czechoslovakia after the Vulva Revolution in the late 80’s

@David Rose
You must be thinking of Václav Havel. Vulva is a city in Oklahoma.

Waterstone
Waterstone
1 year ago

Delurking just to tell you how i love you people!! The wit and the general knowledge amongst the comentariat here has me coming back for every post! I’ve bern reading here for a good long while now, reading old posts, even cried real tears when i saw bitter infighting. I probanly won’ t be commenting again, but i just had to share how much of an extended family you have become for me. Keep on being yourselves, lovely people, you all give me hope.

Fenton
Fenton
1 year ago

@Naglfar Are you sure you’re not thinking of Tulsa?

Vulvas are blue-green freshwater algae that form freefloating spherical colonies and consist of two distinct cell types: flagellate cells and germ cells.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

I’m so sorry I missed that thread back in January, what a delight 🙂

I’ll never forget Mr Well Actually It’s A Vagina though. He never gave up, either, just kept on digging.

kupo
kupo

@Fenton
I’m pretty sure you’re thinking of volvocales. Vulva is an Australian wild turkey.

WTH
WTH

@kupo

I think you might be thinking of the gweela. Vulva is the Russian river that inspired the “grunting and heaving” Song of the Vulva Boatmen.

Viscaria
Viscaria

@kupo

I believe you’re thinking of a gweela. Vulva is actually a delicious dessert usually made with tahini.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia
1 year ago

@kupo, No, I think that’s a velociraptor. A vulva is a seer.

Crip Dyke

@Viscaria

I believe you’re thinking of halva. Vulva is actually a South American noisemaker often used during soccer matches.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

@Crip Dyke,

Umm, I think those are vuvuzelas. Vulva is a river in Russia.

Karalora
Karalora

@Hippodameia

Pretty sure that’s the Volga. Vulva is a brand of motor oil.

Snowberry
Snowberry

@Karalora

You’re probably thinking of Valvoline. A vulva is a bone in the lower arm.

Sheila na gig
Sheila na gig
1 year ago

Everyone knows (or should) that Revulva was the name of a Beatles album.

@Snowberry
You must be thinking of the ulna. Vulva is a river in Russia.

Shadowplay

@Naglfar

Nay, you’re thinking of the Volga. Vulva is the next planet sunwards of us.

kupo
kupo

@Shadowplay
You’re thinking of Venus. Vulva is an alien species who write terrible poetry.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@kupo, no no, that’s Vogons. Vulva is the name of a bald scavenger bird.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@Mish

I believe you’re thinking of a vulture. Vulva wrote Candide.

@Buttercup
I think that’s Voltaire. Vulva is that dangly thing at the back of the throat.

occasional reader
occasional reader

@Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Is it not a vulture ? Easily mistakable with Vulva, this fox like pokemon of the first generation.

Edit : Damn latence.
@Nagflar
Do you mean glottis ? “bis repetita my previous sentence”

Hippodameia
Hippodameia
1 year ago

No, Vulva is Zorro’s civilian identity.

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)

A vulva is a seer.

No, that’s völva. Vulva is the name of a Finnish feminist magazine.

(For the sake of obscurity, it’s actually Tulva, meaning ostensibly “flood”)

Universal Kami
Universal Kami

@Hippodameia

Seidr?

OT: which religion in your opinion is more accepting of LGBT+ folk? Also, would it be wrong to go to a place of worship if I don’t believe everything in said religion? For example, I personally believe a bit of everything so I’m not into just one religion or set of beliefs.

@Universal Kami

OT: which religion in your opinion is more accepting of LGBT+ folk?

I’m not an expert on all religions, but in my experience Reform Judaism (and to some degree Maseritic/Conservative Judaism) are pretty accepting nowadays. The orthodox are not, but that seems to be the case for any religion that fundamentalist groups are intolerant.
I’m a member of a synagogue that is very accepting of LGBT+ people. The rabbi marries same sex couples and there are numerous LGBT+ congregants, including myself (though I’m still not publicly out).

With regards to Christian denominations, I don’t know too much b/c I’m not Christian, but I’ve heard good things about Unitarian Universalists and Quakers (Allandrel can say more about Quakers).

I don’t think it would be wrong. I think most people of a religion don’t necessarily believe everything in it. And lots of people check out different religions to find one they like.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax
1 year ago

I love this community for the phenomenal people in it, great sources of information I didn’t know, epic troll smack downs, and whimsical afternoon-eating threads like the one above. Well done all, and a happy new year!

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 year ago

@Universal Kami : while it might be only me, I believe getting in a monotheist consecrated temple without believing that their titular god exist is rude. (and yes, I do strongly oppose using churchs as touristic spots) Even ruder would be to perform any rites or prayers without believing in the reason to do them.

For polytheists, I feel it depend on how central to their belief the titular entity is. Like, in Greek mythology I suspect you are perfectly allowed to not believe, or even be aware of, the orphic mysteries, but it’s probably not kosher to burn offerings to the Olympus god without thinking you still have to follow the tricky pact made between men and god by that scamp Prometheus. (note : I am not sure there are still any greek god believers around, but who know ?)

Not believing in everything is rather relative. I know catholic priests who are adamant that the whole of Genesis is actually a parable, most notably because humans supposedly cannot understand how their God can do stuff, so the account cannot be accurate.

In all case, it probably don’t hurt to ask beforehand if it’s possible.

moregeekthan
moregeekthan

@whomever

I believe you’re thinking of…

Okay, to be honest, I am still thinking about Wilma and Betty.

ObSidJag
ObSidJag
1 year ago

@ all Mammothers who just took part in that awesome round robin of sorts…
…that was totally epic!!!

👏👏👏 all around 👏👏👏

1 year ago

And many thanks to kupo for starting it.

Moggie
Moggie

@moregeekthan:

Okay, to be honest, I am still thinking about Wilma and Betty.

A Red Dwarf fan?
“I would go with Betty, but I’d be thinking of Wilma”

Universal Kami
Universal Kami

@Naglfar

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

@Ohlmann

I do believe in their deities and reasons for their rites and prayers.

I’m also not going to be going there to use them as touristic spots.

I’m just looking for a place I can go regularly and not face discrimination.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 year ago

@Universal Kami : so it probably should be fine on that part, and the only thing to double check is their tolerancy.

kupo
kupo
1 year ago

And many thanks to kupo for starting it.

*blushes* 😊 You’re welcome! It was fun!

Hypatia's Daughter
Hypatia's Daughter

Brilliant work, peoples!

moregeekthan
moregeekthan

@Moggie

Actually, just watched a lot of Flinstones as a kid. Mainly for the dinosaurs. But even at that age it was obvious Betty and Wilma put up with way too much crap.

epronovost
epronovost
1 year ago

I got to admit the vulva manifesto guy was an extraordinary example of a man destroying himself on internet because he can’t live with the fact that he isn’t as brilliant as he thinks he is. To me this wins the palm for “most stupid tweet of the year”.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

comment image

They gone… left right before th’ ball drop

Allandrel
Allandrel

@Universal Kami

I’m Quaker, specifically Friends General Conference, and most FGC Meetings are VERY LGBT-affirming. We believe in “that of God in all of us,” and that means ALL of us, dagnabbit. God loves you just the way you are.

Though we have certainly not always been perfect on that front. (John Woolman basically traveled the country on foot turning Quaker enslavers into abolitionists one by one.) And since we are explicitly anti-hierarchical and anti-doctrinal, there’s nothing to stop a given meeting from practices that are at odds with our common beliefs.

Personally (coming from a straight cis man), I think sexual orientation and gender identity are just how people are. Different people are different, and being gay or trans* is no more moral or immoral than being straight or cis. But treating people differently because of such traits? Oh, now THAT is immoral. It is sin, in the Esme Weatherwax sense of “treating people as things.”

Crip Dyke

@Allandrel:

I know very little about quakers except for 2 things.

First, I did some academic research about how the law treated “rebellious” marriages in the past (this was around the years 1997-9, somewhere in there). One of the earliest categories of marriage that was legislated against was Quaker marriages in 17th century England. Drawing from the commons and not the nobles, Quakers had the reputation of being dirty, sometimes even diseased, and drinking overly-strong beer (and not good wine, like proper gentlefolk). Since a lot of conversions happened when one person fell in love with someone who was already a Quaker, they were stereotyped as sex-addled. Since Quakerism was a different religion, they were considered anti-God/Yahweh/Jesus. Since parents would get pissed off at children who converted, they obviously had no respect for the value of family.

So the government of England refused to recognize Quaker marriages because they were filthy drug addicts, obsessed with sex to the point of making bad decisions, anti-God, and anti-Family.

Sound familiar? (This same pattern, btw, repeated itself with other marriage-outcasts.)

And, second…

…not too much later than when I was doing that research, I went to a national conference of NGTLF where some queer Quakers were handing out stickers from the “Americans for Servicing Their Friends Committee”. That one has kept me laughing for 2 decades now.