MGTOW misogyny none dare call it conspiracy reddit

The Bachelor Tax: Gravest imaginary threat to the MGTOW set?

By David Futrelle

Facing little legitimate oppression in the real world, modern misogynist men sometimes have to improvise in order to find something to complain about. Thus Men’s Rights Activists in the US work themselves into a tizzy over the requirement to register for a non-existent military draft. Incels convince themselves that a “few millimeters of bone” distinguish their allegedly ugly faces from Chad’s perfect visage.

And MGTOWs warn ominously of what they see as the impending danger of a “bachelor tax” — that is, a tax aimed at unmarried men like themselves, which is something that has only been attempted a tiny handful of times over the entire course of human history.

This is a topic that has come up again and again on the MGTOW subreddit. Take this typical rant on the subject, posted by a MGTOW Redditor called vhemtmgtow a year ago.

I often worry about what the gynocracy will do when they figure out how easy life is for a MGTOW who lives in peace and tranquility without any worries or anxieties.

For men living in peace and tranquility without any worries, Men Going Their Own Way sure do complain a lot.

But vhemtmgtow is convinced that the “gynocratic” government is trying to cajole these men into marriage. Not that it will work on this brave and independent herd of confirmed bachelors for life!

Shaming doesn’t work in these men. They are immune to it. Sexual temptation doesn’t work on these men. What is left for the gynocracy other than a bachelor tax?

dramatic bird

In many countries there is a bachelor tax but single men are simply paying it because the cost of marriage is much higher than the cost of the bachelor tax.

This, like most things MGTOW believe, is not even remotely true. According to Wikipedia, there are currently a grand total of zero countries with bachelor taxes. Indeed, the most recent attempt to levy such a tax took place in the old Soviet Union, for two years, immediately before its historic collapse — and this tax started off as a childlessness tax levied on both men and women.

But what if the gynocracy increase the bachelor tax so much that men are forced to marry? It’s like choosing between two bad choices: marriage or huge bachelor tax. Hopefully it doesn’t get to the point where the lesser of two evils is marriage.

Not going to happen, dude. Even aside from the fact that such a law would be pretty blatantly unconstitutional, the plain fact is that no one on earth wants to marry any of you. Danger averted! Problem solved! Go fuck your fleshlight or something, and maybe consider not posting your fever dreams on the internet.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

10 months ago

the requirement to register for a non-existent military draft

FWIW I’m not a fan of the draft either. I don’t support a conscription system for a military that is already much larger than any other in the world. Though at least I know it’s not likely to happen, and if it does I would probably be found ineligible to serve.

Who wants to bet our new friend GalliumCthulhu shows up again to talk about how great sexbots and VR sex will be?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

As a feminist, I don’t want a tax on unmarried men. I want a tax on millionaires and taxes on billionaires that are so steep that they can’t actually maintain billionaire status.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
10 months ago

We (England) had a bachelor tax once. It was to raise money to fight the French. Which has pretty much been the rationale behind all our taxes.

Andrew
Andrew
10 months ago

Well, to be fair, even though their usual “sky is falling” antics are misplaced, there is a bit of social reality to being a single man. When I was married, people treated me much differently. After my divorce, I noticed that the same people at the same places suddenly acted cold to me, even though my ex and I didn’t even split over a fight or conflict. We just didn’t want to be together anymore.

I have noticed that many events are not really welcoming if you’re a guy by himself showing up at them. In a way I can understand why, as many men go to things just to ogle the women and approach them and generally make everyone uncomfortable, but at the same time, as a man who doesn’t behave that way, it can lead to feelings of exclusion after a while. I think the MGTOWS have taken this experience and just blew it out of proportion with their claims.

@WWTH

Agree. The 3¢/dollar over a billion that Warren discussed is a step in the right direction but doesn’t go nearly far enough. 50¢+ would be better.

jsrtheta
jsrtheta
10 months ago

I didn’t realize there were this many men who never go outside.

Dalillama
Dalillama
10 months ago

Not registering for the draft has miniscule actual penalties anyway. It means you’ll have trouble getting a Federal job (although sometimes they’ll still hire you if there’s not enough other candidates and you pinky swear that you failed to sign up by accident).

Crip Dyke

@Dalillama:

There was, at one point, a ban on getting student loans if you haven’t registered. Is that no longer true?

kupo
kupo
10 months ago

There’s a bit of social reality to being a single person. These absolute tonsil stones don’t have points beyond that patriarchy sucks for men sometimes, too.

@Crip Dyke
It says here that it is a requirement to register to get student loans. In a special transphobic twist, all AMAB people have to register regardless of identity or transition status.

@kupo

…then they try to solve it with more patriarchy.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Crip Dyke
In theory, yes. In practice, they don’t actually ask that I recall.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia
10 months ago

Well, in a year from now when they figure out how badly their beloved god-emperor has fucked over US income tax withholding (again) I’m sure they’ll find a way to blame the feminists.

WWTH: Investment income. Tax it at 80% and watch the rich squeal.

Amtep
Amtep
10 months ago

I’ve heard that in the US it’s often the opposite… that people would like to marry, but can’t afford to because the changes in how their household income is calculated would leave them fiscally worse off.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
10 months ago

There are already so many tax incentives and economies of scale for married people, that there may as well be a tax on singledom. In the US, marrieds enjoy lower insurance rates and access to Social Security survivor’s benefits. If anything, single women are even more burdened by these inequalities than single men, what with lower pay and society’s general hatred of single mothers.

For someone who doesn’t have any worries or anxieties, he sure does a lot of worrying.

Definitely not Steve
Definitely not Steve
10 months ago

Me, a bit sleepy: “A ‘bachelor tax.’ So, this is going to be about how health insurance rates and income taxes are often steeper for two single individuals than they would be for couples, and how unaffordable single-person dwellings are for many people, making it financially challenging in this country to live as a single person without a high-paying job.”

*Reads article*

Me: “Oh wait, I forgot what website I was on. Of course it’s none of that.”

Bakunin
Bakunin

@Amtep
I considered proposing to my gf, until I realised that would cut off her disablility benefits. Life in a late capitalist shithole

Lucrece
Lucrece
10 months ago

Hah! They all gonna be paying that tax then regardless – no human is likely to ever marry these men.

Catalpa
Catalpa
10 months ago

Yeah, this usually applies to disabled folks, who get their benefits immediately removed the second they get married.

Lainy
Lainy
10 months ago

Any of these type of men I’ve met in real life or online get super pissed when they sexually attracted to me. Sexual temptation not working on these men is a load of bullshit. Their just shitty humans that want to punish anyone that makes their dick hard and then pretend that they are above sexual desire.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

International Dark Web type Eric Weinstein has been banging on for days about his concerns re not enough young folks having babies (yes, he probably means white people). He seems to think that literally nothing has changed (socially or economically) and people are just being selfish by holding off.

I wonder how his followers would react if he proposed something like a bachelor tax, to push people to pair up and have kids. There’s a pretty big overlap between the manosphere and the IDW, so I suspect it would be explosive 🙂

Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged
Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged
10 months ago

I don’t think they have to worry about being ‘forced’ to marry anybody.

I mean, even if I were single, I’d still sooner French kiss a weedwhacker than spend the rest of my life with one of these chuds. I’m sure many other women feel the same way. O’ course, that might have to take the fact women have their own feelings on the subject into account, and MGTOWs can’t have that.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
10 months ago

@naglfar : as long as there are not money-based exemption, I actually like draft for actual wars, since it mean an egalitarian odds of dying horribly in the battlefield. I said that mostly because if military is voluntary only, mostly poor sods will get in it.

@Andrew: I don’t know if I have ever seen a situation where single men were excluded. Like, even saying there is some look like an hyperbole to me.

Of course, in the actual reality, draft disproportionaly take poor people anyway, for a variety of reason including monetary compensation for not being in the draft.

About the main article : in France, you get effectively a taxe rebate by being in a couple, and more if you’re married. The amount isn’t terribly significant, but it’s not symbolic either, for people like me who are in the top 30% earner. I don’t know if there is anything similar for poor peoples, who typically don’t paye the main impacted taxe anyway.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles
10 months ago

That is some fanfic they have in their collective.

Daddy longarms
Daddy longarms
10 months ago

In Denmark (which is turning real right wing real quick) it’s financially impossible for me to get married. I’m proposing to my gf on new year’s, but we both in agreement that were not getting married. We’re very poly and don’t live together. If we married we wouldn’t even be able to afford rent for one place, let alone two. It would cut our coming incomes in less than half. But then I’m disabled and not currently working, and she’s still a student, so it’s a little different. Still, poor and stick people are literally getting divorced and second apartments in order to afford meds.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
10 months ago

While it’s true that some (many??) countries have tax regs that favour married-or-otherwise-established couples over single people (and we can see from many people’s comments above that in practice the rules are piecemeal and contradictory and complicated), the MRAs forget as usual that any disadvantage also applies to single women (even more so, in fact, as they are on average poorer and earning less in the first place).

MRAs showing their arse, as usual.

Amtep
Amtep
10 months ago

The one place I know where single men are discouraged but single women are welcomed is orgies in various forms — sex parties, swinger events, BDSM play parties, etc.

Sometimes this takes the form of the men having to pay a fee while women and couples get in for free (Bachelor tax!!!), sometimes single men are excluded entirely. And sometimes there’s no restriction.

I don’t know what men going their own way would be doing at sex parties, though.

Teabug
10 months ago

Wait a minute. Weren’t these nimrods just yesterday complaining about women being too picky and denying them marriage and kids in some bid to bring the beta males to extinction?

@Mish

That seems to be the thought process of every conservative over 30, where they assume that the economy is favorable for young adults so they can support children. If conservatives actually want people to have children, they could create free child care, improve health care, or similar. Not sure if it’s the same in other countries, but in America conservatives are constantly slashing those things and making it harder for people to raise children, while at the same time bemoaning the lack of (white) babies.

@Amtep

MGTOWs already have complained about that one, like in the meme David wrote about here.

Standing in the corner grumbling about how the women are hypergamous sluts and saying that MGTOWs are so happy not to be involved while clearly being unhappy?

Sheila Crosby
10 months ago

I can’t for the life of me imagine feminists supporting a batchelor tax.
(Well, maybe some TERFs, but they’re not noticeably feminist)
I can easily imagine the religious reich imposing one. Of course they’d also have a spinster tax, probably first and bigger.

@Sheila Crosby

Well, maybe some TERFs, but they’re not noticeably feminist

A regime run by TERFs would probably look quite a bit like one run by the religious reich, they’ve shown each other to have much in common and to joyfully link arms in order to cause suffering for others.

Catalpa
Catalpa
10 months ago

I kind of like the concept of needing a referendum to declare war, and everyone who votes “yes” on the referendum are the people who are required to enlist.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
10 months ago

It’s one of thoses concept that look neat in theory but have rough edges in implementation. Like if I am a 60 year blind man, there is just significantly less stack than if I am 20 in good form. Or how to do that if time is of the essence, or if it’s the other that declared war.

Similarly, I have seen suggestion to execute the head of state and/or top general if after the wars the consensus is that it was useless, but that put a lot of trust in the public.

Allandrel
Allandrel
10 months ago

I am opposed to the draft on both pragmatic and moral grounds (though I’m of the view that “moral” is almost always “pragmatic”). Like most Quakers, I’m a pacifist, though not a total pacifist. (The best explanation I can give is Superman’s pacifism: Use force as a last resort, and even then the absolute minimum amount of force necessary.)

Based on experience, I fully expect that if the draft were reinstated its biggest supporters would be the Boomers that opposed the last draft so vehemently. It’s not happening to them this time, after all.

(These are generally the same Boomers who dismiss young people unable to pay for college with “Just work your way through college flipping burgers over the summer the way I did,” because everything is EXACTLY like it was in 1970, right?)

@Allandrel
They’re also the same people who were nature lovers in the 60s but now deny climate change and are down with fucking over the world for a profit.

I’m opposed to the draft because I think it’s morally wrong to force 18-year-olds to die while the people who actually created the war (corporations, senators, presidents, other government officials) sit comfortably at home.

Or, in song form:

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
10 months ago

Likewise, in a recent Finnish poll, our male only conscription got a slightly higher support from men than women. Of course, nearly all of the men polled would have already served (or skipped their service one way or other) and most would be too old to be drafted in a case of war. There’s probably some effect of passing the shit bucket to younger generations.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
10 months ago

The problem of saying “I am against drafting”, is that most people think it’s drafting vs staying in peace, when in actual practice, it’s drafting vs other mean of getting more soldiers, and a metric shitton of them are shadier than drafting.

Nagflar incarnate that problem to the caricature, because while it’s possible that a war will be created by the people she or he talk of, in both WW1 and WW2 the young population was completely on board for the carnage. The idea that the populations are alway peaceful and that war is forced upon don’t stand to history.

And, similarly, war can be thrust upon a nation because of the action of the other nations. The US saved the day in WW2, and, really, for once, they had absolutely no hand in starting all that mess. It’s arguably even a case of superman’s pacifism on their case

Currently, the main reason to not have drafting in so-called developped country is that draftee are an horrible fit for the mercenary operations western armies are famous for : too long to train to fitness, not really any less expensive than career soldier, and they aren’t lacking soldier, at least yet. Warmongers don’t actually support drafting, because that don’t serve their purposes.

(also, isn’t the recruitment of career soldier in the US pretty much as big a scandal as the worse hour of drafting ? I am not entirely sure, but last time I heard of US recruiter, it … wasn’t positive. If memory serve well, they convinced some poor sod to enlist by bribing them with a playstation)

Lumipuna
Lumipuna
10 months ago

Ohlmann – Those are good points.

A while ago I saw an article on Time Magazine, discussing a hypothetical national Service in US. I only half remember the conclusion of that piece, but it was something along the lines of “it would be useless for military purposes, but possibly good for equality and social cohesion”.

Paireon
Paireon
10 months ago

Meh. As a French-Canadian* I may have higher-than-average dislike for military draft. Though if one happened and I knew me getting swept up in it (unlikely given my rather lacking physical fitness) meant some other poor bastard who’s in a relationship/has children can avoid it, I’d do it, if somewhat reluctantly.

*Bit of historical context: French-Canadians (or at least Quebecois) have been historically opposed to drafts, both in WWI and WWII. However, despite both anglos and francos consequently fixating on the high number of draft dodgers, albeit coming from different directions (anglos saying it made us untrustworthy cowards, francos saying it was a courageous form of conscientious objection and refusal of a conquered people to die in their colonial overlords’ wars – yeah, it’s really complicated), both sides tend to conveniently forget in their respective narratives that French-Canadians made up a completely disproportional number of voluntarily enlisted personnel compared to Anglo-Canadians, on an almost 2-to-1 basis in both conflicts. Also of interest is that in both those conflicts French-Canadians were IIRC largely barred from officer commissions, which were pretty much anglo-only (must have been fun times when neither officers nor grunts fully understood each other – bilingualism was rather less prevalent then than now, and even today it’s not that prevalent on the anglo side if my experiences are anything to judge by).

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Paireon:
I still remember the shocked reaction of a friend of mine who had grown up speaking French but hadn’t mentally connected the ‘Van Doos’ nickname with the fact that they were the Royal 22nd (Vingt-deuxième) Regiment. Certainly reading up on some of their history when I was in Quebec City for the 400th anniversary celebrations gave lots of good reasons why the Quebecois would be more skeptical of the draft than most English Canadians.

Well, the Newfoundlanders would fully agree with the Quebecois on that as well, and for similar reasons tied in with what Ohlmann was saying above: a lot of it ends up with the poor folks getting used as front line troops and dying as a result.

In at least one case, you can thank Pierre Trudeau for increased bilingualism in the country, since he was the one who pushed that all federal government employees would need to be able to speak both official languages. (Though it’s also understandable for other reasons why Quebecois might not want to thank Pierre Trudeau for much of anything.)

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa
10 months ago

I don’t know, a 20% tax for all men seems fair to me. For SOME reason.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary
10 months ago

I don’t understand this at all.
Why are they worried about being forced to marry?
I thought all the lobster boys were in favour of ‘enforced monogamy’ and the state providing all single men with a wife?
It’s confusing why they would be against the very thing most of them want?

r00t