Uncategorized

Open Thread on the UK elections and anything else you want to talk about

OPEN THREAD on the big day in the UK.

Comment away. No trolls or Boris supporters please.

Anarco Soma
Anarco Soma
1 year ago

I recall Insurge intel guy with some research showing Cons & Ukip shared key funders – I suspect something similar with Brexit party – I reckon we might see this strategy repeated over & over unless there is a sanctioned Blairite style of Labour – seems to be fracture between EU & US/UK elite as EU has begun to assert itself

galanx
galanx
1 year ago

Well, some good news- Scheer (Conservative leader in Canada) just quit. Hopefully there will be a big fight between the Alberta far-rightists (anti-abortion, anti-gay) and the more centrist Tories in the rest of the country.

As for Jolly Old, we can expect hard Brexit followed by years of whinging anytime the EU selfishly puts its own interests ahead of the UK’s, blaming them for anything that goes wrong..

Universal Kami
Universal Kami

@weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Might the possibility also be she has a tumour on her brain?

I don’t mean to cause alarm, and I’m not sure how common it is but i have heard some tumours can cause hallucinations.

Is she seeing bad things or good things?

Like loved ones that have passed or demonic looking creatures?

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 year ago

Haven’t got much oomph for a proper conversation :-s but just wanted to note – Corbyb campaigned for Remain. I was present at two of the London rallies myself where he argued that Remain was the better option; even people in the Labour Party who never liked him, such as Angela Eagle, acknowledged that he campaigned very vigorously for Remain.

This has been almost entirely obscured by the focus on how he (not unreasonably) said pretty much throughout his career that there were issues with the EU he’d argue to change/things about it he’d always criticise.

Oh well. We’re going to need all the resilience we can get for a while now, eh :-s

Commiserations shared with you all!

@Amy E, yes the press onslaught has been overwhelming and unremitting – the total disregard for actual honesty and factual accuracy is pretty frightening lately; in some ways the fact that this behaviour is increasingly normalised is the worst thing to come out of all this!

Gwynfydd
Gwynfydd
1 year ago

Thanks so much David for putting up the thread.

Really thinking of everyone around this UK result and all the other issues that folk are sharing above. It’s all a lot to deal with and I really appreciate seeing the kindness in here.

Personally I think Scotland leaving the UK will be even worse for Scotland than Brexit will be for England. But I cannot interfere with the will of the Scots, and it’s going to happen regardless.

I’m a Scot and feel doubly gutted, sad and angry about the results as I was really hoping and praying for the constituency where I live to be taken away from the Tories. But no.
This constituency was enlarged 15 years ago by the Tories to help keep them in, and they have still held it despite changes elsewhere in Scotland.

I’m not for the Independence of Scotland as I agree with you @ Citizen Justin, that it would be damaging in so many ways. Even with the toxicity having arisen with this election and Brexit, I would rather not see us leaving.

Anyways, not gonna be disheartened in the long-term, even though I am pretty down right now. Not commented here much as, despite being a lover of the site, I have been pretty mega busy with work demands to be able to share – I would like to more though!

Thanks all

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Moggie
The scary part is that the fans seem very supportive, and he could probably win. As usual, the Constitution is being regarded as a mere suggestion and not law.

I didn’t watch Huckabee last night, but from the tweet his argument is that Democrats “took away” the term. That’s BS, and even if it were true it wouldn’t be ground for a third term. Otherwise Obama deserves at least 6 more years.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@Moggie

that pupper is very cute, but that birb, oh my god, I’d die for it

@wwth

no diagnosis would make it even harder on all of you; thinking of you and family, and pls feel free to update when/if you can

aestetix
aestetix
1 year ago

The next five years are going to be absolutely brutal.

Our democracy is dying. Boris threatened the free media for criticising him, and the Tory manifesto says they want to stop the courts holding them to account.

Our rights will be stripped away, and the poor EU citizens who made their homes here will be abused even more. Expect a massive spike in racism just like after the first brexit vote.

Katamount
1 year ago

Sending hugs from the colonies. Hopes were high for this election and I think the worst part is that lefties everywhere let ourselves think this was going to be different.

I’ll admit to not being as up on UK politics as I am US and Canadian politics, but it just astonishes me that after 9 years of some of the most brutal Tory austerity I’ve heard of, the Tory leader being a walking punchline and the example of Donald goddamned Trump, that anybody in the UK walked into a voting booth and said “Hmm, that medical bankruptcy thing they have in the US sounds fun!” The only answer I have is a combination of “racism is just that powerful” and the UK media being just that goddamned corrupt that Tory voters didn’t know (or didn’t believe) that the NHS was on the chopping block.

Sure, Corbyn had his own problems within the Labour Party, but ever since the 2016 Brexit vote, it seems that the average Briton didn’t quite understand the stakes involved. I could say that about elections everywhere, given the low participation. But you can also see it in the way Brexit is treated as a lifestyle brand: self-righteous, “serious” nationalists versus bleeding-heart “libtards” letting in the brown hordes. After three years of that being the only topic in the world, you folks must be exhausted by it.

On the bright side, Scheer is out as Tory leader over here in Canada. At least the decent(ish) people win sometimes.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
1 year ago

David:. While I would not say I am a Boris SUPPORTER, I did like a number of his movies, and his narration of The Grinch animated flick was CLASSIC!! I’m n… …

HUH? Not Boris KARLOFF, Boris JOHNSON???

Hmm, isn’t he the one who starred in “How To Sink The British Isles”???

Pie
Pie
1 year ago

On the bright side, serial political failure Nigel Farage failed to accomplish anything again. Apparently he’s keen to support Trump’s campaign for re-election… may his work there be as successful as UKIP and the Brexit Party.

Hambeast
Hambeast
1 year ago

wwth – When I read about your mom, I was guttted. MILbeast passed a week ago tomorrow and it all started in a similar fashion. I know you’re upset and what follows is our experience. If you think it may just upset you more, please skip it and accept my love and support and a suggestion to get your mom evaluated by a psychiatrist.

One of our mistakes was thinking MILbeast was suffering from Charles Bonnet syndrome (hallucinations in people with late in life blindness) at first, but it turned out to be something else, which was diagnosed as schizophrenia and dementia.

Husbeast got her to a psychiatrist after two episodes (the first of which involved a fall and both of which resulted in stays at rehab facilities) and she was finally prescribed Geodon which helped, but I think the side effects did her in. Particularly the muscle weakness and loss of appetite.

Things were actually going okay until she started having breakthrough hallucinations and her dosage was increased. At that point, a lifelong swallowing issue got way worse (muscle weakness again) and she ended up in hospital with pneumonia from aspirating her food and then another stint in rehab. She was sent home (we moved her in with us after the second rehab stay) that time on hospice because she kept losing weight even though she was eating well on a pureed diet.

The hallucinations frightened her so much that she insisted on her meds even when she couldn’t eat anything else.

The hospice people were wonderful and caring and I’m very grateful for their help and moral support.

Daoud bin Daoud
Daoud bin Daoud
1 year ago

The BoJo clown show is ready for prime time. My heartfelt condolences to all my UK friends.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 year ago

@Hambeast and @WWTH, all my best thoughts to you. I am so sorry you are dealing with these impossibly hard and heavy things. Hope you have support to help.

It's just me
It's just me

Wwtg,
I’m so sorry to hear about your mom. The state of mental health services in this country is dismal. About ten years ago my husband developed schizo-affective disorder (bipolar plus schizophrenic hallucinations and delusions). After being in and out of the mental ward 3 times (only for a week each; they could only keep him against his will for 5 business days at a time) we finally convinced a judge to have him committed. I thought he’d finally get the help he needed and have sufficient time to stabilize on medications. The very next day he was released from the hospital on “trial visit.” It was basically like being released on probation. He wasn’t permitted to use illicit drugs or weapons or leave the county and he was supposed to see a therapist regularly. But the enforcement left entirely on my shoulders. Needless to say, he promptly discontinued his medication. He became convinced ppl were out to kill him and he didn’t want me and the kids to be harmed as collateral. So he ran away. We heard nothing from him until two months later when his body was found washed up in a log jam in the McKenzie River.
So I understand how utterly scary and frustrating it is to be so helpless in getting help for those you love. I hope you are able to get her appropriate treatment. My thoughts are with you.

@Hambeast

I am so sorry for your loss and want to send you positive thoughts and positive energy. I cannot imagine how difficult that must have been but thank you for sharing it. I know it might be hard to think about it. I just want to send you as much compassionate thoughts as I can.

Kara.
Kara.
1 year ago

@wwth I’m so sorry you’re going through some truly rough stuff. I hope and pray that things turn out better and get a little more manageable. And I’m very sorry for your loss, @hambeast.

It feels like a dog pile of weighted stress just pressed down even harder after the UK election. It’s just… ugh, to me, it’s a frustrating cacophony of “WHY WHY WHY.” I don’t understand how pig-headed you have to be to support those clowns. I just. Don’t. Understand. And I’m really scared about what that means for everyone, both UK Citizens and just how these self-destructive election results are just… ripping through the world. I don’t know if I can handle another trump term, and if we’re really continuing down this fascist road, I don’t really know what my options are, for survival, for being a positive influence in the world around me. It’s disorienting, and I know I’m prone to catastrophizing so I try to keep these feelings in check, but. Boy. It’s hard.

Teabug
1 year ago

Went to the cemetery today to say a last goodbye to my very good friend, Ethan. He died of a heart attack, strangely enough, as he was barely 50, in great shape and healthy as a horse. Heart disease runs in his family. Mine too, which is why I take statins and steer clear of red meat, sugar and hard alcohol. I could not get the day off to attend his funeral, I only visited him after it was over. The grave was still open, so I sprinkled some of that sacred dirt on his casket, sang a song I wrote once, and gave him an update on the rest of us. Ethan was one of the finest people you’d ever meet. He was this quiet but sweet man who made everything better and all he had to do was sit there. The last time I saw him was a week before when I went to his house to pick up a pair of shoes I had left there. He helped stuffing them into my backpack. Then, he wished me a safe trip home and a merry Christmas. I wished him the same, and that was the last things we said to each other. He’s in a better place now, we’re all sure of it. Rest in peace, Ethan. We’ll miss your kindness, helping hands and bone dry sense of humour. But only till we meet again 🖤🖤🖤

@Kara.

Just saw your comment in the Buddha-gigachad thread and replied there. Lots of active WHTM threads! Yay David for the blog!

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

WWTH, Hambeast:

Ugh, sounds not far off from what my spouse has been going through for the past few years. We can never get a diagnosis, and the only reason I can leave him alone while I go to work is that several alternate personalities have emerged, who take care of him.

The alters don’t have his symptoms, which is why I don’t think it’s neurological; they take it in turns to steer him or reassure him, but they get exhausted too, and they generally can’t handle talking to strangers (those who can talk at all). This is probably all tmi, but it helps a little to confide in somebody, and it’s less awkward to tell anonymous people on the internet.

@Teabug

I am so sorry for your loss and offer condolences…what you wrote was *so* beautifully written. Your friend sounds dear. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Hambeast
So sorry for your loss.

@WWTH
So sorry about your mother.

@Moon Custafer
So sorry about your husband.

@Teabug
So sorry about your friend.

Sheila Crosby

From “V for Vendetta”

My name is Valerie. I don’t think I’ll live much longer, and I wanted to tell someone about my life. This is the only autobiography that I will ever write and God, I’m writing it on toilet paper. [snip] …that was how I met Ruth. The first time we kissed I knew I never wanted to kiss any other lips but hers again. We moved to a small flat in London together. She grew Scarlet Carsons for me in our window box and our place always smelt of roses. Those were the best years of my life. But America’s war grew worse and worse and eventually it came to London. After that there were no roses any more. Not for anyone. I remember how the meaning of words began to change. How unfamiliar words like “collateral” and “rendition” became frightening, while things like Norsefire and the Articles of Allegiance became powerful. I remember how “different” became dangerous. I still don’t understand it, why they hate us so much. They took Ruth while she was out buying food. I’ve never cried so hard in my life. It wasn’t long till they came for me. It seems strange that my life should end in such a terrible place, but for three years I had roses and apologized to no one.

I wish you all roses.
Or cats. Cats are good too.

@Sheila Crosby

That’s beautiful. I didn’t see that movie but you made me look it up and I should.

It also reminds me of the beauty of growing things and how that’s like the beauty of creating art. Both take care and attentiveness. I like thinking about that

moregeekthan
moregeekthan
1 year ago

So sorry for all of you experiencing loss right now. I have dealt with the very under-resourced US mental health system in recent years for one of my relatives. Very hard to get space for someone who is not an immediate danger to themselves or others.

1 year ago

I know it’s difficult for everyone in the U.K. right now and people who have experienced loss or illness of loved ones and I know that’s serious stuff and I feel for all and don’t wish to make light but I’m off shortly to go claim my pet.

I am going to finish getting dressed at the venue and we have set-up to do and this time I will probably get to spend only 20-30 minutes with him once he’s harnessed and leashed before I’ll have to put him back and we step away and wind down. We have to keep it short for the energy to be right but it’s going to be beautiful I think.

Also sorry to anyone if what I wrote before was TMI and if this is but thanks to all who support me here in this beautiful time of growth for me. I love how David’s posts and all the smart commenters makes me think and you all are wonderful souls and thank you for resisting patriarchy’s and ugly inequities.

I’m leaving to walk a few blocks to my friend’s apartment and she is going to drive me to our venue. I’m carrying my whip openly in public which I’ve never done before but I feel exhilarated doing it when I’m dressed (though my coat is on). I wouldn’t do that before but I’m told myself it’s an accessory to my outfit so it’s ok and that made me comfortable and then exhilarated.

Please wish me luck!

Dreamer
Dreamer
1 year ago

I remember when I started reading this thread a long time ago – I thought these extemists were terrible but would never become mainstream. Ugh. Internationally we are moving each to nationalism. I no longer comprehend politics. It’s a circus.

caketastydelish
caketastydelish
1 year ago

Not that I’m a Boris supporter (I’m an American and I know next to nothing about the man) but if I may ask, why aren’t his supporters allowed to comment? Seems a bit authoritarian and anti-free speech IMO.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia
1 year ago

Go clutch your pearls somewhere else.

caketastydelish
caketastydelish
1 year ago

What? It was an honest question.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Thanks for the kind words, all. Nothing new to report today. Hugs also to anyone else going through similar issues.

Boris Johnson supporters/conservatives aren’t banned from the whole site. Open threads are kept free of trolls or people who otherwise may cause conflict because they’re meant to be spaces where we can peacefully discuss things, talk about personal matters and support one another.

Anyway, here’s a red panda gymnast

comment image

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

It’s just me,

That’s awful. I’m so sorry you and your husband went through that. And welcome, if you’re a new commenter. I assume so because it appears your comment went to moderation at first.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Look at that clever little gymnastic fire pillow, omg

There’s quite a few folks on here who are going through (or have gone through) some seriously heartbreaking stuff. Thank you for being able to share, and um, solidarity. I don’t know how to express support eloquently, but it’s there.

Allandrel
Allandrel
1 year ago

My condolences to all who have experienced losses, and to those of you in the UK.

This has been a rough week for celebrity deaths as well.

Caroll Spinney, the Muppeteer who performed Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch for fifty years.

Marie Fredriksson of Roxette.

Danny Aiello of Do The Right Thing and Moonstruck.

Hambeast
Hambeast
1 year ago

Thank you all for your kind wishes. Husbeast gets told many tales of WHTM threads and I have forwarded those to him.

For everyone experiencing similar things, I wish you peace, self-care, and all the help you deserve.

Unfortunately, the pain of current US and UK politics will affect all too many outside of those borders. Hope and peace and the energy to fight to us all.

I now have the time (and some spoons) to go to the “No One is Above the Law” rally at Duncan Hunter’s office, probably on Wednesday. Although he’s not my congressional representative, his district is right next door to mine and there isn’t a rally at my rep’s office. Wish me luck.

StaceySmartyPants – I hope you had a lovely time!

Universal Kami
Universal Kami

@It’s just me

Did he take his own life or was it classified an accident?

@Moon Custafer

Is he an endogenic system?

@StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved

Good luck and I enjoy hearing about your adventures.

@Hambeast

Good luck!

kupo
kupo

@caketastydelish

Assuming you’re being genuine and not trying to start an argument, it’s explained in the comments policy.

@Hambeast

Thank you so much! Oh, it was intense but so exhilarating and beautiful. All the time and effort with my friends there as go-betweens and all our time and effort getting stuff set up was worth it. He’s gorgeous, 6’3″, dark hair and eyes and really handsome with like chiseled features and really fit. Not bodybuilder gross big but beautiful muscled and lean and ripped looking. I like it that if it makes incels mad that I like that and I *get* that then that’s awesome. It felt really amazing to have a tall handsome strong guy like that not being a jerk but there for me to do whatever I wanted. Once I had him harnessed and on my leash I just admired him and loved just running my hands over him. Guys need to quiet down and let women do that more when we want. He never spoke once (isn’t *that* awesome?!?!) but his eyes were incredible. The 20 minutes I played with him went by like 20 seconds. Before I put him back I stood him up and we kissed and it was the most incredible kiss ever in my life and I can’t stop thinking about it. I want to see him and play with him again and am texting our go-betweens to see about this evening. My guy friend (supposed friend) who I’m not attracted to and is just a friend was bugging me to get together and asking if he can come over and I said yeah ok but yuck I would rather spend time again with my slave. I am going to journal because I know there is something about power and resisting patriarchy here.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
Glad you had such a great night. That will make for a great journal entry.

@UniversalKami

Thank you so much! The experiences are amazing and, yes, really sexy to be honest but in a safe way and also for me it’s all like drama and performance art too. It takes soooo much preparation and work so much more than might meet they eye! But it’s worth it. And actually I think there is maybe a feminist lesson in there because when we get objectified according to men’s desires and not our own men think it’s all easy. Like no work goes into the porn they watch. I am really am into my slave and enjoying him but I see how much work it takes and all the collaboration in our group to set this up and that’s a testimony to the women involved.

Like to me it’s a turn on that for me my slave doesn’t even need a name because this is about me being able to turn patriarchy on its head an enjoy an objectified sexy male body but I can’t enjoy that unless in the back of my mind I know that the real person that he is in the real world not only consents but enjoys it too and my ability to know that and enjoy comes from all the work our go-betweens do for us.

And like how much of a rush I get using a whip crack to emphasize my authority when giving him commands like when I stood him up to kiss him before we finished. It looks and feels sexy and it is but not everybody saw the hours and hours of work I had to do practicing a coachman’s crack with my bullwhip to do it so I can control where it strikes and not hit him or anyone and be unsafe. And a coachman’s crack is a kind of challenging crack but is the one I needed to look sexiest for us. Plus it makes me feel powerful.

The incels who complain about women like me liking only handsome guys they call chad don’t get all the work I still have to do. But I think it’s like a feminist point that once again women’s work and effort is downplayed. That has always made me mad. I kind of wish I could tell off an incel posed on my stage with my handsome gorgeous slave harnessed and his leash in one hand and my awesome bullwhip in the other. I think there would be something poetic about that.

Sorry to ramble but my heart and soul are all over the place today, joyfully, and reading and posting here is helping inspire my journaling so thank you.

Amy E
Amy E
1 year ago

@StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved I love reading your comments, mainly because of your genuine heartfelt delight and enthusiasm in finding something so right for you.

To all those suffering, I send love and sympathy.

Things are going to shit fast. Yaxley-Lennon has joined the Tory party; Katie Hopkins has been spewing her usual nastiness in tweet form but with a tone of exultation that’s really hard to stomach. There’s been talk already about privatising social care. I know the deterioration will take time; it’ll be the usual frog-in-water situation where they get us used to creeping privatisation and authoritarianism bit by bit.

The Tory voter twitterati and much of the media are now characterising Labour supporters, and especially Corbyn supporters, as out of touch, entitled elites. So 40 years since Thatcher came to power, the Tories are suddenly the people’s party and Labour is suddenly the establishment, despite its departure from Blairism. It’s topsy-turvy land over here.

I’m really scared, especially for my disabled friend who has a ton of medical problems she needs regular support for, and my friend who nearly died of a heart condition and is having to fight the DWP for his benefits.

caketastydelish
caketastydelish
1 year ago

@Kupo it basically says in the policy no MRAs, no Nazis/KKK types, no trump supporters.

Without being an expert in British politics, isn’t Boris just a mainstream conservative candidate/politician? Not everyone not as liberal as the Democratic Party is the same as the groups mentioned in the comment policy and it’s intellectually dishonest to assume otherwise.

tl;dr :

Banning woman haters, racists, homophobes is one thing, banning all conservatives no matter what is another.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia
1 year ago

Again, go clutch your pearls somewhere else. And quit JAQing off.

caketastydelish
caketastydelish
1 year ago

Well you’re such a nice human being aren’t you…

1 year ago

Everyone thank you all so much for the support. The WHTM community is wonderful. My heart is with those in difficult times now wishing you comfort.

@Hambeast

More compassionate thoughts for you and definitely wishing you luck at the rally on Wednesday. You are brave and I admire your dedication!

@Naglfar

Thanks and yes I have been writing while texting my mentor to see about playing with my slave against tonight!

@AmyE

I know things are difficult in the UK right now with the political stuff that is scary. I just want to offer my words of support. I know it’s just words and thoughts and that you are facing the reality. The U.S. here scares me too. But I just want to say I’m thinking of you. Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate you. Texting with my mentor now about setting up a time tonight to see my slave and we’re saying maybe even I can walk him a little with that hot body of his in harness and on a leash (we did only that a little bit last night) it’s another example of stuff that is sexy and looks just really artsy-edgy cool when we do it but takes actual practice and coordinates and communicates and *empathy and understanding* that’s a natural part of BDSM but that misogynistic wanker-complainers just overlook or think isn’t necessary.

kupo
kupo
1 year ago

Hippodameia is quite a lovely person, in fact. ❤️ Trolls who come on here to Just Ask Questions about why people might not appreciate having to deal with trolls who voted in favor of taking healthcare away from vulnerable people, on the other hand, not so nice.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Thank you, Kupo!

Well you’re such a nice human being aren’t you…

Yeah, I am.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Again, conservatives are not banned on the entire site. It’s just that open threads are for regulars and new or infrequent commenters who are here in good faith and not here to pick fights.

David reserves the right to ban someone who’s distressing another commenter or pissing everyone off too much, but no, conservatives are not automatically banned from the site.

Specialffrog
Specialffrog
1 year ago

Also Boris Johnson is demonstrably all three of those things.