Uncategorized

Open Thread on the UK elections and anything else you want to talk about

OPEN THREAD on the big day in the UK.

Comment away. No trolls or Boris supporters please.

Wandarah
Wandarah
1 year ago

I mean, it’s not great is it. I think I’m going to stab my eyeballs out.

Lou Kellett
Lou Kellett

Can I begin?

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…

LollyPop
LollyPop
1 year ago

Just seen the exit polls. I could cry.

Naglfar
Naglfar
1 year ago

No trolls or Boris supporters please.

Are there any people in the latter category who wouldn’t be in the former?

StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
1 year ago

To everyone in the U.K. we are thinking of you! Please stay strong!

CarrieV
CarrieV
1 year ago

I’m hearing that some Dem Congresspeople are weakening in their resolve to impeach Donald. They’re no doubt thinking of losing their jobs come election time in redder districts.

If Donald skates THIS F*CKING TIME too, I just won’t know what to do anymore. His toadies will be emboldened even more, like a virus that a sick person keeps under-medicating.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 year ago

Yeah, exit polls looking really bad. I hope the actual results won’t be quite as bad as this suggests, but we may need a lot of resilience now and for some time to come … 🙁

I’m glad we tried hard. But propaganda big guns have been working overtime for a long time now, to demonise the opposition and the EU and minorities and the disabled. And maybe enough people have been convinced to vote to make things worse for most of us – including themselves, of course.

Hang in there as best we can, UKnians :-/

Specialffrog
Specialffrog
1 year ago

I’m still steamed that the media have helped the Tories get away with accusing Labour of anti-semitism for over a year.

It’s not that I think Labour don’t deserve most of the criticism but the idea that the Tories — who have been playing footsie with racists, fascists and right-wing Christians (to the extent that they are different groups) for decades — aren’t worse on this front is ridiculous.

Sheila Crosby
1 year ago

I can’t believe that anyone would believe that Boris of all people is the cure for austerity.
Honestly, it’s like going back to your boyfriend after he hit you on six different ocassions, because he loves you really and it’ll all be different this time.

And I wonder how much of the Tory’s campaign funding came from outside the UK and from where. They had plenty to spend.

LollyPop
LollyPop

@Specialffrog

Absolutely! And Johnson wrote some very disgusting racist, anti-Semitic crap in his “novels”.

@CarrieV

For my wellbeing trump needs to be impeached, I can’t cope with two blond human toads (insult to toads, but I’ve had wine) leading US and UK.

@opposablethumbs

Thank you for your superhuman effort! We’ll hang on 🙂

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit
1 year ago

Maybe Boris will lose his own seat, at least. That would be fun to watch.

Best wishes for survival to all UKians. May you have easy access to anything that boosts your morale, and may your livers be strong over the next five years.

StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
1 year ago

(Personal stuff and potential TMI warning)

Right as I was leaving work I got the most beautiful gift from my mentor in my fetish social group…it came wrapped in a really nice clamshell board box with pink lining and wrapped in silver foil paper with white ribbon. It’s a gladiator style bodyharness made for a man’s body and she gave it to me as a way telling me that two of the really hot guys that she was wanting to fix me up with as partners for our fetish social events want to do that and I can carry it and my bullwhip with me next time I go to a social gathering to signify that I want to claim one as my partner. He’s been coached on how to accept it but I have to practice actually helping him into it and getting it all buckled and stuff around his body and I blush thinking about it but like the thought. It’s really beautiful and the heavy weight of it in my hand when I carry reminds of what it means.

My friend who is one of the stylists at the salon where I work is with me now getting coffee and she is admiring it with me. It’s really beautiful and I really want to get a handsome fit guy that’s mine into it and train him.

I’m so sorry everyone if this is TMI but talking about this with joy is my way of fighting back against all the slut-shaming that is out there and fighting back against friendzone-whiny-creeper guys and making it clear to them I don’t owe them anything. So fuck off incels.

I know there’s scary politics stuff out there in the world now so love and support and loving wishes to all and sorry if I shouldn’t talk about this here but you all are so nice and thanks for the chance to express myself.

numerobis
numerobis
1 year ago

Sheila: it’s more like going back to your abusive ex after he told you how much he hates your guts, he burned all your things, and he’s had kids with several other women while cheating on you, but he’s not sure and doesn’t care how many, and overall he just has absolutely nothing to recommend him.

This was Corbyn’s election to lose and he went at that task with gusto. He wanted a hard Brexit on Tory grounds even more than Johnson did. He’s likely succeeded.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ numerbois

He wanted a hard Brexit on Tory grounds even more than Johnson did.

In his defence, Corbyn has been a leaver all his political career. I think the big problem was Seamus Milne and his idea that if we hard Brexit and all goes to pot there’ll be some proletarian revolutionary uprising. I think that may be misplaced Tankie optimism.

Ooble
Ooble
1 year ago

I’m fucking devastated. I’m hoping that the exit polls are wrong but not very optimistic. I don’t even care about Brexit anymore, it’s another five years of Tory austerity I’m upset about.

Amy E
Amy E

@numerobis:

No idea how you reached that conclusion.

moregeekthan
moregeekthan

@ CarrieV

Pelosi is usually pretty on-top of the vote count. I assume she’ll know how many are defecting and make sure to keep it low enough he is still impeached.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Sorry UK Mammotheers that your fellow countrypeople are determined to make the UK as stupid a country as the US. I’m concerned about your NHS.

I have a whole personal thing to vent about, but I’m on the bus, so it’s going to wait until a little later.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

Oh gods oh gods oh gods.

I don’t know if I should just get very drunk, or start compiling cyphers, stockpiles and building networks with clever passcodes.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@ CarrieV, moregeekthan

Regarding the impeachment vote: I read that they wouldn’t whip the vote, they would let people vote in line with their consciences. But I reckon there’s not a single congressperson stupid enough to think that they will get any reelection funding whatsoever from the party if they conscientiously vote to keep Trump around. That vote is already whipped.

StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved

@wwth

Please be safe. When you are ready to vent or express yourself however you wish we are here for you.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Weatherwax

Oh gods oh gods oh gods.

Can you do all of those at once?

@Big Titty Demon

I imagine so. We really do need every vote, though to get this impeachment through.
My biggest fear with the impeachment is that, since the Senate inevitably will not vote to remove, he will simply be emboldened in his quest to dictator and he and his supporters will think he’s invincible.

numerobis
numerobis
1 year ago

Amy E: Corbyn has spent the past couple years studiously refusing to openly take any position whatsoever on Brexit, other than preventing any soft Brexit deal, when the government is in favour of brexit, and after his long being a leaver.

As Alan says it’s pretty clear he wants the Tories to get blamed for Brexit, after which somehow the British people (who’ve voted for ever-further-right candidates lately) will vote en masse for socialism. That would be great. I want unicorns too.

It’s very similar to the left in Quebec which is all for separation because somehow it’s Canada that keeps electing right-wing provincial governments, and once we’re independent of course we’ll switch to social democracy.

OMEGALUL
OMEGALUL
1 year ago

Since people are talking politics, I must say I also see a grim future for my country, full of fundamentalist reactionary politicians in power. I’m Brazilian and I’m a total pessimist when it comes to politics. I not only expect more tory austerity on the UK, I also expect that Trump won’t be impeached in the US. At the very least, the Brazilian elections of 2018 had more international attention than any other election in living memory, IMO. Jesus Christ, I’d have a drinking problem if it wasn’t for the progressive internet and videogames. Sorry for the rant, I hope it’s not inappropriate for this site.

Amy E
Amy E
1 year ago

@numerobis: that is not the impression I had *at all*.

There were no ‘soft’ Brexit deals offered. The government sat on the issue right up to the last minute, and then produced deals that were unacceptable, in a clear effort to bully Parliament into going for them just to get it over with.

Corbyn’s position is nuanced because the issue is complex, and he was the only one honest enough to acknowledge that. If there’s a problem with him it’s that he isn’t enough of a showman to pander to the soundbite-spewing press. Which, just btw, has been smearing him nonstop ever since he was voted in as leader.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@OMEGALUL

Sorry for the rant, I hope it’s not inappropriate for this site.

It’s totally fine to vent. I think we’re all a bit fed up with world politics right now. I’m scared, you’re scared, we’re all scared.

Specialffrog
Specialffrog
1 year ago

@Amy E: while I agree the Conservative deals were all bad Corbyn seems to think there is a deal that is possible that is better than being in the EU. Which there is not.

Corbyn also voted to “honour the result of the (explicitly non-binding) referendum” while letting May define what that meant. A nuanced position on why the referendum was not a meaningful mandate would have been welcome.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

UK mammoths, I’m so, so sorry – I’m absolutely gutted, so I can’t even imagine how awful you must feel.
On a smaller scale, this is like our election here in Aust back in May – it looked like Labor just couldn’t lose, but they did, and significantly. It was a real shock.

Take care of yourselves – and solidarity!

@WWTH – hope you’re ok <3

Thistley_42
Thistley_42
1 year ago

well fuck that didn’t go very well did it

Well put. I’m in Scotland and there’s at least a chance we will at least get shot of our current Tory wanker of an MP but the overall picture is grim.

Victorious Parasol
1 year ago

Thinking of all the UK Mammotheers.

Is there another planet we can all go to that features good climates and broadband?

Specialffrog
Specialffrog
1 year ago

Here’s hoping at some point conservatives will no longer be able to win elections by filling discarded bits of skin with entitlement, bigotry and lies and making them their leaders.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Victorious Parasol

I hear Proxima Centauri might have habitable planets…not sure about the broadband though.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera
1 year ago

Labour took one hell of a kick to the teeth and my speculation is that Corbyn simply straddled the fence for too long. The Labour Leavers went to the Tories. Tory Remainers stayed with the Tories.

There’s also the pretty intense media campaign against him to bear in mind. Labour front bench bring it up so much that it starts to feel like an excuse but I’d be very surprised if it didn’t have a role to play in these results.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Ok, so maybe some of you remember that I mentioned that my mom has been having memory/confusion problems as of late and I was worried she might be getting alzheimer’s. Well, last Tuesday night, I get a call from the ER. She was found wandering in the halls of her condo building. She knew who she is, but not how she got there. Turns out she’s also been seeing things.

She spent a week in the hospital. She was sort of getting better, but still a bit weird and she kept thinking the hospital was an office and she was at work. They deemed her well enough to go home and she was ok for about a day. But now she’s seeing things again. There’s been no diagnosis yet. Originally, the psychiatrist had recommended that she be transferred to a mental hospital for closer observation and diagnosis, but for some reason they sent her home instead even though she’s not better.

I don’t really know what we’re going to do. She lives sort of far from me, my dad, her sister and her best friend, so it’s not really possible for someone to be home with her all the time. But apparently, that’s what the doctors are expecting? It’s just…ugh.

Ooble
Ooble

@wwth
That sounds awful. I hope she improves.

Charlotte
Charlotte
1 year ago

I’m gutted. I don’t even live in the UK but this goes so far beyond national borders.

I’m only 33 but right now I feel like it’s pointless to even try and make a life for myself, because all I’ll live for is to see the world die in cruelty and floodwaters.

What’s even the point?

StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved

@wwth

I am so sorry to hear that. It must be so difficult. I do not know what to say other than just to offer words of compassion. You must be so stressed from it and I hope you are taking care of yourself as best that you can.

I will send you all the positive energy I possibly can.

I have blessings in my life now and am in a beautiful and exciting time of growth but I would trade it all to help a wonderful person like you in need.

Please know that we are thinking of you.
I know these words aren’t much but I hope the spirit and compassion I feel reaches you with support.

StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved
StaceySmartyPantsTwiceRemoved

@wwth

What are social services like in your area? I know they vary. In my city they are ok-ish but there are social workers that help in those situations. I know you probably know all about that already but I was just thinking.

Amy E
Amy E
1 year ago

So…trying to take all this in and think about what happened.

The press attacks were definitely horrendous, and not just from Laura Kuenssberg. The far-right press machine was in full swing. Only today, I noticed two FB pages that just said ‘Politics UK’ or similar, so apparently non-partisan on the surface, but basically just sharing loads of stuff from Turning Point.

Then there was the “FactCheck UK” scandal, which involved the Tory party masquerading as a neutral organisation on Twitter.

Apparently, also, 88% of the most shared Tory ads were misleading (nearly 6000 in total). Labour’s figure was 0%.

The Tory ads I saw were purely about attacking Labour; nothing on actual Tory policy except those three words Fridge Man has been repeating consistently.

There’s more, obviously.

I don’t know what we’re going to do now. I can think of a lot of friends and family for whom life is already way harder than it should be, and it’s just going to get worse if the Tories really have the majority predicted. People have basically voted to shoot themselves in the foot.

Maybe once Brexit is “done” there will be a rapid awakening to knock some sense into everyone. But how many people will have to suffer and die before that happens? It makes me sick.

Sorry for the longer than expected rant.

@wwth – I’m so sorry. Much love to you, and I hope you can get some support.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@wwth

What awful news, and how difficult for you being at a distance, too. Is there an official diagnosis at this stage?
Wish there was something material we could do, but at least know how much support you have here. I hope I’m not over-stepping any boundaries, but please feel free to dm me via Twitter if you need to vent or anything, or just have cat pics sent.

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

@WWTH, I’m sorry to hear that. Has she been checked for a UTI? Strange as it may sound, UTIs can cause confusion and even hallucinations in the elderly. That happened to my father, who began telling us elaborate and implausible stories about his day when we visited him in hospital. This went away after some antibiotics.

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

I think we all need some cuteness right about now:

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Moggie,

Yes. She did have a UTI and clearing it up helped a little, but not that much.

Mish,

No diagnosis. We don’t even know if it’s a mental health issue or dementia.

Citizen Justin
1 year ago

Oh, people wanted UK independence? Leave it out. There isn’t going to be a UK.

Personally I think Scotland leaving the UK will be even worse for Scotland than Brexit will be for England. But I cannot interfere with the will of the Scots, and it’s going to happen regardless.

If everything does go to shit in what’s left of the UK, I wonder who the scapegoats will be. Will people blame the EU for failing to do deals with us, or will they blame the Brexit politicians (Johnson included)?

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

Well, at least Jo Swinson lost her seat. That’s a small consolation.

Catalpa
Catalpa
1 year ago

My sympathies to all the UK mammotheers. Canada managed to keep our Tories out of power federally, but they’re absolutely wrecking my province and will continue to do so for the next 4 years. It’s an awful, disheartening feeling. I hope that everyone can be as safe as possible, and hang on until this nightmare hopefully ends.

Martin
Martin
1 year ago

I am sorry for the brits, this is a nightmare:/

Moggie
Moggie

Meanwhile, Huckabee is campaigning for a third term for Trump:

Ucalegont
Ucalegont
1 year ago

I turned on the news yesterday with the idea that Boris Johnson would have his power a little bit eroded, even if it wasn’t enough. Instead of that, he got a full-blown absolute majority. Worst news possible.

The scenery is frustrating worldwide, with the USA, Brazil, Bolivia etc. Here in Spain, the far-right has got enough seats to take any law they don’t like to the Constitutional Court, and they have prevented several institutional declarations against domestic violence and for the rights of children. Also I have the impression that the left is perpetually moving “in the right direction”.

The only thing I can think to combat the impotence, rage, disillusionment etc, is that each one of us still has themselves, which is the only thing we can control.

1 2 3