alt-right daily stormer empathy deficit entitled babies evil fat fatties literal nazis men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny playing the victim white dudes comparing themselves to slaves white supremacy

The Daily Stormer wants all fat people put in starvation camps

No fat chicks in the Daily Stormer’s fascist utopia

By David Futrelle

The Daily Stormer is expansive in its hatreds. The site’s writers (and readers) not only hate Jews, black people, women, and LGBTQ folks; they also, in keeping with Nazi tradition, despise anyone they see as somehow defective, especially if they can be blamed for their alleged defects.

And so it’s hardly surprising that Stormers hate fat people. What is perhaps a little surprising is the vehemence of their hatred.

In a couple of recent posts on the site, the Stormer writer who calls himself Pomidor Quixote launches an outright war on fat people. In the first, he cites a study of rats to “prove” that the children of fat mothers age more quickly, concluding that parenting-while-fat is “a form of child abuse that has devastating health and social consequences,”

And he’s just getting started:

Allowing overweight people to reproduce is really no different than allowing meth addicts to become parents.

Unless they fix their serious addiction problems first, they shouldn’t be anywhere near children.

This is all horrible, but there is a rather striking irony to Quixote’s sideways swipe at meth addicts, given that a recent book has shown that meth was used as a performance-enhancing drug by the Nazis, and many soldiers ended up addicts.

In his second recent post on the fat menace, “Quixote” takes his argument (such as it is) even further. Citing an OECD study (as summarized by Bloomberg), he concludes that

The obese are not being as productive as normal people, so they’re not contributing the same as normal people.

Yet they are responsible for governments spending hundreds of billions of dollars trying to keep them alive.

Why are governments trying to keep the obese alive if the obese can’t even perform properly?

Because we don’t kill people, or let them die, because, statistically speaking, they’re slightly less productive than skinny people due to taking more sick days.

Also, as a fat person, I have to say that I really haven’t noticed the government doing much of anything to keep me alive.

We know how to force them to lose weight, but for some reason these fat monsters are given the freedom to decide what to eat despite having proved time and time again that they’re incapable of making choices that would result in them losing the weight.

Diets, broadly speaking, don’t work; the overwhelming majority of those who lose weight through dieting end up gaining the weight back. And this sort of yo-yo dieting can have far worse effects on health than being overweight.

Quixote continues, each new sentence more unhinged than the last:

Why are productive, slim people paying for the freedom of the obese?

It’s a kind of slavery.

These monsters are enslaving healthy humans!

Nazi that he is, Quixote concludes with a very on-brand “solution.” He wants fat people rounded up and put in “starvation camps.”

[T]he problem with fat creatures isn’t really a lack of education about food and exercise. They know that if they ate less, they’d lose weight or at least stop getting fatter. They know that eating a lot causes them to gain weight.

It’s a kind of addiction and everything points to them not being able to handle it on their own.

They have to be put in starvation camps and given only water and a bit of salt until they lose all the excess weight.

Setting aside the moral depravity of this, er, “solution,” starvation camps aren’t exactly what you might call practical. For one thing, according to the OECD study Quixote himself cites, more than half the adults in OECD countries (that is, most of the developed world) are classified as overweight or obese.

In the US, 72% of adults are overweight, and 40% are obese, according to the CDC. To fulfill Quixote’s cruel fantasy, you’d have to lock up something like 160 million people — quite a responsibility for the remaining 60 million adults.

Quixote also seems to have forgotten that Nazis themselves aren’t immune to the alleged “addiction” of being overweight. Indeed, while Quixote may be, for all I know, perfectly svelte, there are plenty of fat Nazis, and some of them — like the fugitive from justice known as Azzmador — have even written for the Daily Stormer.

Hell, Hermann Göring was famously fat. Would Quixote have sent him to the starvation camps too? Somehow I think not.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Karalora
Karalora
1 year ago

I’d like to see him try it. Fat people, as the adage goes, are hard to kidnap.

tim gueguen
1 year ago

Yeah, this is definitely a “Be careful what you wish for” situation. Pomidor Quixote might find himself on the way to a starvation camp if the authorities were especially aggressive.

Narshero
Narshero
1 year ago

Unfortunately, if anything this is probably one of the least unpopular opinions they’ve put forward. Somehow, there are people across the political spectrum who would never agree with each other about anything… except that fat people are icky. I’ve even seen people in very lefty online spaces with good understandings of intersectional issues say that fat people are “bad comrades” because they’re “not doing their part”. SMH

Just to get it out there:
There are fat people who eat a lot, and there are fat people who eat very little. There are fat people who don’t exercise, and there are fat marathon runners. There are fat people with and without mental health issues, with and without eating disorders, with and without physical disabilities. And all of them are exactly as deserving of human decency, understanding and kindness as anyone else on this planet, not to mention food, shelter, clothing, decent medical care (which very few ever get, even those who’d be able to afford it), and anything else you want to put in a list of human rights.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Somehow I think that rounding up all day people and keeping them in camps would be just a tad more expensive than the amount they’re allegedly draining from the system now.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@weirwoodtreehugger

That’s why they should be made to perform cheap labor while in the camps. Those camps aren’t going to pay for themselves, and if the big (titty) demons of this world want to force the normal people to take drastic measures to right the scales, as it were, then they should pay their way. Possibly forcible removal of property would be a good way to start, it would pay for the immediate deportation costs to the fat camps, and then the forced labor. Preferably hard manual labor because that would help them lose weight the fastest. If some people die from it… well… you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, as the fatties should well know. Maybe even some of the most hopeless cases should be donated to medical study, or just put down for their own sake, you know, as a humanist measure. To spare them the agonizing long death from hard labor because fatties just can’t keep up with work with no food like a normal person could. Then some of the other fatties could be detailed to cleaning up the mess, a sondercommando if you will, and… hmmm… yes this is sounding very on-brand for Nazis, isn’t it?

I wish unspecified unpleasantries upon this fellow along with some historical perspective that might hit home.

Savanah M Gray
Savanah M Gray
1 year ago

Putting the fat people in starvation camps would take pretty much all of the Nazis. How would they enforce this when all but a handful are the “fat guys” they’re speaking of? Is this just another example of supremacist self-loathing? I think it is!

MJ
MJ
1 year ago

Well, this explains the uptick in fat shaming & harassment I’m seeing.

The best part of this BS is — sit down for this giant surprise — their lack of understanding of SCIENCE. Without going into the whole meggilah, they have zero understanding of the science of body weight, nutrition, or how fat cells work.

Which is no surprise. They’re not interested in science. They’re just interested in who they can hate today.

(FWIW, since Voat has become home to reddit’s former FatPeopleHate sub, it’s now full of white rights bullshit on top of the fat hate. They actually drove off some people, which was hilarious.)

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent, Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent, Bard of the New Movement
1 year ago

You wanna face winter with skin and bone?

I’d say there’s a reason, even if it ain’t perfect
That the reason for the buffer is of natural select
If it didn’t help a one, then would we be kickin’ now?
There’s more of us than there are of them, so tell me, tell me how

How a cinched waist or bare muscle tone
Is gonna get you through the night
With the bone-chillin’ breeze, you’re just gonna freeze
Or get cut down by a blight
Well there’s only one way that we’d be here today
We got a stock against the storm
Do you want humanity to stay warm?

You gonna face a famine roarin’ like a fire?

Sometimes, turning seasons turns the soil awful sour
Often, that sticks around with appeal to higher power
If you burn all you got, there’s nothing left for when
It gets worse, call it a curse, so tell me, tell me, what then?

You think it’s pretty when you see the ribs clearly?
How ’bout you try that on for size?
Oh, the hunger and pain, it’ll drive you insane
So wouldn’t it be wise
To say the ones with the energy stored
Might be ’round for cause and effect?
Or does that run against your project?

And this may not be sent from above
But I’d say, there’s just more to love

I don’t believe you know the word
It’s not like you haven’t heard it
But you never even tried
To step aside
And somethin’ tells me you won’t

Still stickin’ with birds of a feather
A bunch of seagulls, and fairly fair-weather
And you never even tried
To know the tide
Still something that you don’t
Know

It’s that you won’t even care
It’s that you decline to empathize
Tell yourself and friends all of these lies
And you know
And you know
We all know

I’ll just be over here
Rather fat and rather queer
Just to boot
No astute observation you need

You never even met me, and I’m in your ire
Suppose that shows the garbage fire
You’re in
Guess your own words you’ll heed

You won’t hear me until you gotta breathe

We’ll be around even if you hate us
A you problem for sure
And it’s only a detriment
If a bloodline is called pure
Stick around, take a seat, we’ll watch you try and compete
And fail to those that you insist can’t be blessed

But sure, just tell yourself we’re worthless

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
1 year ago

Why are productive, slim people paying for the freedom of the obese?

It’s a kind of slavery.

These monsters are enslaving healthy humans!

And your solution is . . . to enslave fat people in your prison camps? And speaking of monsters: you’d like to starve them to death?

Yeah, you’re brilliant.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
1 year ago

This Quixote guy reminds me of a guy I dated in college. He was a good-looking guy with some charm, and he was also messed up in a callous way. This guy had a pattern of dating a woman for a few weeks and then dropping her like a hot potato. I told myself to be very, very careful not to fall in love with him.

We had a few dates. On our last date he told me that the death penalty should be used more often. Fascist, I said to myself.

And I realized that I was in no danger whatsoever of falling in love with him.

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady

Oh that OECD study…

Grr. Rant ahead.

There is no actual scientific direct link between body size and mortality. There is no actual scientific link between body size and so called ‘fat diseases’ like type 2 diabetes.

There is correlation. We haven’t found causation.

We have also found that high stress is correlated to so called ‘fat diseases’ regardless of body size.

And that increasing fat storage is also a defensive response to high stress.

So, what causes high stress? Poverty, and all that it entails. Which is why poor people are usually fatter than rich people.

Another thing that causes stress? Fat shaming.

And stress, with the high level of cortisol that comes with it, ACTUALLY INCREASES overall mortality.

And I hate how people keep harping on about the ‘bad diet’ of fast food and junk food.

So, you want people to cook for themselves, with fresh ingredients?

GIVE THEM A FUCKING LIVING WAGE AND THE FREE TIME NEEDED TO ACTUALLY COOK!

Someone working minimum wage certainly doesn’t have either.

I am fat. Due to 20 years of a hormonal issue not getting diagnosed. My rapid weight gain was brushed aside with ‘eat less, move more’. That my body was in the process of destroying my thyroid and losing weight through ‘eat less, move more’ is factually impossible? Brushed aside.

My misanthropy wasn’t inborn, it was learned.

Bina
1 year ago

Whatever this guy’s problem is, there’s a cure for it.

Coincidentally, it involves him undergoing precisely the “treatment” he presumes to prescribe for others.

Flora
Flora
1 year ago

+1 to Knitting Car Lady’s comment. I say this as a physician – weight is not a marker of health.

I would like to point out the term “addict” is stigmatizing and the preferred term is usually people who use drugs, which shifts away from unfairly pathologizing some kinds of drug use. I use amphetamines for my ADHD – it controls the anxiety I had all my life until diagnosis – and no one has ever called me an addict.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 year ago

I would be grateful for suggestions/links if anyone has ’em handy:

good reading to give someone who needs to learn to stop nagging/wanting to nag their adult child about their weight.

Something short, with links to studies/evidence* (and ideally left-wing/socialist-inclined) would work well on this parent. Many thanks for any suggestions!

(*anything in Spanish, French or English would be great)

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Knitting Cat Lady

Hey hey! You’re in the mishandled thyroid problem club with me! If you’ve got the right dose now, don’t ever let them change it just because your tests are “bad”, go based on clinical results/how you feel only. I stupidly let myself get bullied (when younger) into halving my dose to produce “better” test results by an asshole GP who didn’t like my endocrinologist’s dosage’s test results, and then had an immediate and severe health crisis. A month into it I came back going, “help, I am having these problems!” And he said, straight to my face, “well, your tests come back fine, so we should look for a psychological root to your problems.”

I wish the story had a happy ending, but it really didn’t. The best that could be said is that I didn’t die from the resulting surgery and when I went on permanent medical leave from my degree program, I was supposed to have to pay back the money due to conditions in the original tuition/stipend contract, but I didn’t have to, I think because the medical center knew I could sue the bejesus out of them if I wanted to and didn’t want to provoke me into it.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 year ago

While I consider that having less obese people would be good, that guy don’t make sense even if the lone goal is to have less obese peoples.

Outside of all the physiology / moral argument that have been done already, there’s also the perennial problem of people thinking a super heavy sentence deter people. It don’t do that. If the sentence is out of whack with the importance of the infraction, then it don’t deter anyone. So, even if for some stupid reason we think being overweight is a personal failing, the answer isn’t to overkill that by sentencing them to long term prison sentences.

And, as said above and will be said below, a lot of overweight people are so because of external factors, and even so, it’s infinitely easier to prevent than to remove.

Of course, if thoses nazis didn’t have anyone to hate, they would make them. So they aren’t interested in preventing obesity as much as creating some to be able to heap abuse on them.

Pie
Pie
1 year ago

Ur-fascism is a fascinating idea, isn’t it? Its the way you can actually watch it being played out verbatim, over and over again.

Fatties! They’re stupid, lazy, greedy, weak and worthless! Simultaneously they’re part of a vast and all-powerful conspiracy to crush us and take all our resources and we can’t do anything about it because of reasons!

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady

@Big Titty Demon

(We have the big titty thing in common as well)

My medical team is rather, shall we say, aggressive in my treatment.

They target my dose so I end up in the hyperthyroid side of normal range.

Highest dose I had so far? 250 µg. Now I’m back to 200 µg.

And last year my employer offered free thyroid ultrasound screening. The doctor was positively giddy when doing mine.

‘Oh, this a perfect, classical Hashimoto’s thyroid! You see the few dark spots? Those are functional thyroid tissue. The bright white spots are calcification. The rest is scar tissue.’

At least have my blood relatives have Hashimoto’s or some other kind of thyroid thing, so I’d say there is definitely a genetic component.

My mum TOLD many medical professionals to please look at my thyroid. To no avail…

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady
1 year ago

Also, regarding resources for parents:

Look for heavyweightheart, ok2befat, and bigfatscience on tumbler.

ok2befat also has a yt channel.

All reasearch heavy and leftist.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Thank you Knitting Cat!

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
1 year ago

I’m so tired of the “obesity is an individual moral failing” narrative, when there are so many complex environmental contributors that we’re only just beginning to unravel. BPA, for example, is ubiquitous, and it’s been shown to disrupt metabolism and promote weight gain. How does this guy account for the fact that mice, marmosets, and vervet monkeys have also gotten fatter over the past thirty years?

I also marvel at the “kill everyone who isn’t a perfect specimen of humanity” narrative, coming from a group not noted for high levels of intelligence or chiseled physiques.

dashapants
dashapants
1 year ago

Based on his rather “creative” online output, I harbor severe doubts that someone whose moniker is an unholy mashup of Senor Pomidor and Don Quixote is contributing more to society than the average fat person.

Also, no, we are not going to put people into starvation camps, because (a) most of us are not monsters, (b) those of us who are monsters will do nothing that is so certain to wreck the economy that enriches them.

Allandrel
Allandrel
1 year ago

I’m another member of the “fat due to medical issues” camp. I gained 50 pounds after my kidney transplant, due to the steroids in my anti-rejection meds, and it’s never going to go away because I have to keep taking those meds even though my transplant has failed after nine years.

I have, of course, actually had a conservative tell me that “While I don’t know your story, I’m sure that your diet and exercise choices contributed to your kidney failure.”

Katamount

Soooo… literally this Simpsons clip:

They do realize that was meant to show how terrible the experience of Kamp Krusty was, right?

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Allandrel

Could you get the transplant removed if it has failed? I don’t know much about organ transplants, so this is just an idea that might be impossible.

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow
1 year ago

Same. I have Graves’ disease and spent almost 10 years shaky, bony, and emotionally unstable. I was treated by a psychiatrist for anxiety and insomnia, when I actually had an overdose of thyroid hormone in my blood. It wasn’t until I described the crushing chest pains that almost made me black out that my internist decided to have me tested. Having the thyroid removed was a lifesaver in more ways than one.

Moon Custafer
1 year ago

There was a news piece years ago that made me want to throw things at the tv – they began by profiling a fat woman who was also extremely fit, an athlete, no less, and generally way more health-conscious than, say, I am:

Me: “Oh good! They’re finally doing a story on how weight doesn’t necessarily correlate to fitness!”
TV: “But she’s still fat, so she must be going wrong somewhere! We’ve asked a bunch of nutritionists to give her advice!”
Me: …

Curious_Diversions
Curious_Diversions
1 year ago

Because, HELLO, people have basic value as people beyond what they can produce or their level of performance. ?! If you can’t understand that, there isn’t much that can help you. That makes you a Bad Person (TM).

Maybe you (OP) need to be interned and reeducated. /sarcasm

Talonknife
Talonknife
1 year ago

The only person I hate for being fat is myself.

Also, it should be pointed out that “productivity” includes a lot more than physical labor. I know a lot of fat people working desk jobs that produce an infinite number of times more value than a neo-Nazi blog writer – hell, I know plenty of fat people that work physical labor jobs and spend the whole day just getting shit done.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Curious_Diversions
And in America (where I presume the OP lives), the government doesn’t even really do much to keep anyone alive anyway. Millions don’t have healthcare, people are dying in shootings and from various other preventable things, and the government either does nothing or actively exacerbates it.

Curious_Diversions
Curious_Diversions

@ Naglfar

Accurate.

There are MANY things wrong with OP’s rant. People are only worth keeping alive if they’re useful and productive is gross ableism, apart from whether or not fat people are contributing. That’s apart from whether his “justification” for advocating inhumane treatment is in any way factually accurate.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Knitting Cat Lady

Oh wow, that is a lot! I was lucky in that my Hashimoto’s was diagnosed early because my mum has it (hers was diagnosed in her 40’s, you can imagine how upset she was) and basically changed doctors until someone checked, but then when I was responsible for my own health care for the first time… yeah, the health crisis happened. I’m now on 150µg of T4, but also 25µg of T3, because I can’t turn T4 into T3 properly (which was what was causing my tests to go out of whack from the higher dose of T4 before). I’m ever so slowly and healthily becoming less big, and have so much more energy since I started the T3 (it’s recent, in the last 3 years).

@AsAboveSoBelow

Ah that sucks, my friend’s cousin had that with the same problem. No one could figure out why she was legitimately eating like 5000 calories a day and not putting on a pound, then she got diagnosed and she’s much happier on the suppression drug. I admit, I was a bad friend there because I’ve had to starve to not gain for so long that I legitimately could not understand the distress caused by being forced to overeat to survive. Seemed like heaven to me, because I didn’t consider the “forced” angle, only the “doesn’t get taunted for overeating” angle. ☹️ I have since come to a better understanding.

@Talonknife

Aww, no, don’t hate yourself for being fat. That won’t help anything, trust me, I tried it myself. It’s much better to be kind to yourself.

Moon Custafer

@Curious_Diversions:

I’ve probably said something of this nature before, but I hate it when there are multiple things wrong with someone’s statement, because I never know which to tackle first, and always feel like I’m giving short shrift to whichever issue I mention second (or third…)

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Moon Custafer

I feel the same way. Generally I go in the order that things were in the statement, but even that doesn’t always work.

Moggie
Moggie

@Buttercup:

Ever since reading about the hypothesised link between leaded petrol and violent crime, I’ve wondered whether we’ll eventually discover that some other pervasive pollutant has other cognitive effects. Imagine a couple of Contact GCUs discussing a post-mortem of humanity: “such a promising species. It’s a shame they didn’t discover what their ‘BPA’ was doing to them until the resulting personality changes wiped them out”.

kupo
kupo

@Ohlmann

While I consider that having less obese people would be good

Fuck you.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Moggie
I think we’ll be wiped out sooner by our warlike tendencies and climate change than by any 1 specific pollutant. Any future life forms will think that we shouldn’t have made nukes. And we shouldn’t have given the launch codes to an orange fascist.

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

@Naglfar, but what if our warlike tendencies, or other dangerous negative traits, are being artificially heightened by pollution?

Full Metal Ox

@Big Titty Demon:

You left at least one out: rendering all that fat–because, by definition, it wouldn’t be made of people–down into something useful, like soap or industrial lubricant.

@Pie:

Ain’t it a thing of beauty? The Poor Lazy Junk-Food-Munching Trash trope was launched without the Greedy Fat Merchant trope ever being retired–allowing fat-shaming for at least two mutually contradictory reasons!

MJ
MJ
1 year ago

@knitting cat lady — I have severe Hashimoto’s. My TSH is always “a little too low” and if I let them, they’ll push the synthroid dose into the milligrams (which is an enormous dose). I finally got them to keep it at a dose where I don’t have symptoms and ignore the bloodwork.

One doctor did a test of the thyroid antibodies [thyroid peroxidase (TPO)], which are elevated in people with Hashimoto’s. Normal test range is “under 35.” Mine tested in the thousands.

Allandrel
Allandrel

@Naglfar

It’s much safer to leave it in. For the same reason, when they implanted it, they left both of my non-functional kidneys in place and just spliced the transplant in.

“Hey, I have three kidneys” has yet to work as a pick-up line. Mostly because I never approach strangers.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@MJ

If your TSH is always high no matter the synthroid dose, perhaps you, as I, are not transferring any T4 into T3? Are you on cytomel at all? If not, maybe ask your endocrinologist about it.

@Full Metal Ox

Oh of course! Given that fatties are not actually people, it might even be able to be sold as lard. *nodnod* Save the Amazon, you know, not needing soybeans to feed actual porkers.

🙁 I feel a little dirty typing it, even to make fun of this douche.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 year ago

@Kupo : the drawback of actual obesity mean I want less of it, in the same way that I want less hemiplegic people and less diabetic people. The thing is, it don’t mean any of thoses people should be put in camp; or forced to do *anything* ; rather, I want to people not to get thoses condition to begin with. (and for all three, when it’s preventable it’s much easier to prevent it than to reverse it)

And before starting again the “there is no link with health found” : if someone isn’t able, or have a lot of difficulty, climbing stair, or need dedicated vehicle, it’s already enough of a condition for me to wish to have less of it. The fact the prevention of obesity is something among the line of “give better access to fresh product, reduce poverty, improve psychological help access, improve physician formation” make me double down on it, since , you know, all of thoses have other good effects.

Valentin
Valentin
1 year ago

Ohlmann just stop you are being fat phobic and abelism now. Accessibility is not a bad thing. Making stuff accessible is not a bad thing.

Valentin
Valentin
1 year ago

I suggest to read this article if you didn’t read it already. And if you did, read it again because every day society is lying to you.

“Everything you know about obesity is wrong.”

MJ
MJ
1 year ago

@BTD I never thought about using a different med before. i’ve been on synthroid for 45-odd years. Don’t have an endo right now (fired the last one decade ago for pushing WLS hard) but maybe i need a new one. Thanks!

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Sometimes a mobility issue causes obesity, not the other way around. So you shouldn’t make an assumption that if you see a fat person struggling to do something that they would have no problems if they just put down the french fries or whatever.

ProudFatty
ProudFatty
1 year ago

I spent a lot of time being anorexic. Not only did I stay fat, but it didnt even lower my blood sugar. The doctor said that it wasn’t going down BECAUSE I wasnt eating.

I still dont understand that but I know I wasnt eating, when I got to the hospital I had panic attacks about them giving me too much food, the nutritionists had to really fight with me to convince me I should eat bread occasionally.

Starving destroyed my mind most. It really makes you go crazy. Literally.

My doctor has said Im a lot healthier because Im eating.

Im fucking over wrecking my health so people will bully me less.

kupo
kupo
1 year ago

Doctors gave me an eating disorder. They saw a kid getting pudgy and decided that I needed to go on a diet. I was 10. They told me I needed to lose weight (remember, I’m not fully grown yet and when I look at photos of myself at that age I see a normal amount of baby fat in a prepubescent kid). They asked me to set a goal. I picked 20 lbs because that’s what people always said on the weight loss commercials. Everyone was very happy with this goal. Ibtried, but never reached it. I got more and more tired. I couldn’t move as fast as the other kids. I couldn’t keep up. I was told this was because I was lazy. That exercise is hard for everyone and I needed to suck it up. I did my best. I pushed myself too hard. I was always hungry and always tired but wasn’t losing weight. They kept cutting back my food intake further, pushing me to exercise more. That’s when I started alternating between the anorexia they were teaching me and the binge eating my body compelled me to do. My health kept getting worse. I would wake up with flu-like symptoms but no fever. My mom was convinced I was faking. I knew I wasn’t, but internalized that it was my fault, somehow. That I was just lazy, and everyone felt this way but got over it. I got fatter and fatter and no one took me seriously about health issues. The solution was always exercise more and eat less. My mental and physical health continued to deteriorate.

As an adult I tried dieting on and off a number of times. At one point, I got down to the point of being straight sized. So I know what changes there are for me if I’m straight sized: I get very, very sick. I’m always in pain, and can’t think straight. My anxiety and depression kick into overdrive. But doctors take me seriously. I finally got a diagnosis during that time. And according to glassdoor I was being paid more than other people at my company in my position (I was hired when I was straight sized). And I was always able to find clothes that fit (if I wore shapewear; clothes aren’t made for saggy bodies). And I could fit easily into chairs and airplane seats.

Literally the only positives were how society treated and accommodated me. That’s it. My illness was far, far worse. So get the fuck out of here with your concern trolling over my health. If you gave a fuck about my health you would stop spreading lies and propaganda that makes it harder for me to get treatment.

And you wat to talk correlation? Tall people have various health factors they’re st an increased risk for. Would you ever advocate for there to be less tall people?

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady
1 year ago

Two years ago I had a REALLY bad depressive episode. 4 months in psychiatric hospital bad.

The worse my depression gets, the less appetite I have and the more disgusted by food and fluids I get.

I had reached the point where I literally wasn’t able to get up and fetch a glass of water, and if I managed to get one, it would take me hours to drink some.

I dropped about 15 kg. In two months. I was still death fat, though.

After six weeks of in patient treatment I switched over to the day clinic. I had got to the point where I was able to actually to drink normally and even managed to fix myself at least one meal per day and eat it on weekends.

My second week in day clinic I was sent to diet counselling with a few others. I didn’t want to go, but was pressured into going. It was completely focused on weight loss and calorie restriction. It was also the biggest pile of shit, ever.

The diet recommended there would confine me to the loo all day, every day. IBS is a rather shitty thing. Pun intended.

Other pieces of advice?

Just because something tastes good is no reason to eat it.

This at a time where things being tasty was the only reason at all motivating me to eat anything.

And the classic: ‘Fat people mistake other cues for hunger. Often thirst. Or boredom.’

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

The next day I had a session with my day clinic psychiatrist.

She was conventionally attractive. But credit to her, she was livid. And that diet counselling should only be done if the patient actually WANTED it and on her prescription.

Obviously, only the really fat people were sent. Any of the thin people, who could be having shitty diets as well and possibly impacting their health that way? Nope.