Uncategorized

It’s IMPEACHIN’ TIME: Open thread

Nancy Pelosi. after an interminable delay, has finally announced the start of a formal impeachment inquiry into Trump’s egregious conduct. We still don’t know what exactly this will mean, but things are definitely starting to heat up for Trump.

Discuss. No trolls.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Victorious Parasol
1 year ago

What’s the over-under on Trump having a grand ol’ fit of apoplexy?

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

LOCK HIM UP!

C.A.Collins
C.A.Collins

And not before time.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

It’s embarrassing that Pelosi had to be dragged kicking and screaming into this, and the blowback from Trump could be severe.

But for tonight I’m going to allow myself a few hours of happiness. It’s needed.

Cats In Shiny Hats
Cats In Shiny Hats
1 year ago

The Roommate’s response: “Well, it took them long enough”. I feel that The Roommate is correct here. At least it’s finally happening.

@WWTH

the blowback from Trump could be severe.

He already said he thinks this is good for him. If this fails, things could go very badly for us. I’m worried.

@WWTH

I stand by what I said last thread: she is also a White supremacist at worst, and a racist at best. She had absolutely no trouble going out of her way to target congresswomen of color, and even organizing everyone in the caucus to isolate them.

Even if the Senate refuses to pass the impeachment, it will be on their court. Knowing Moscow Mitch, he will definitely not allowed it to pass, but he seems to be on his way out already.

Hopefully Pelosi gets primaried the fuck out by someone bolder, but considering Chuck Schumer was just quietly blackballing companies or anybody throwing their weight behind progressive candidates, I doubt it will happen.

K.
K.
1 year ago

It still horrifies me that his enablers and cultists DON’T CARE. They want their bigoted paradise with us all crushed underfoot and worse. 🙁

Button
Button
1 year ago

Lol Trump was apparently scheduled to be at the United Nations until 9 PM, but left early to go to Trump Tower and throw a tantrum

@Naglfar

Not to minimize or de-legitimize your concerns but, contrary to what the Democrat Party and Pelosi believe, NOT standing up against bullies and abusers doesn’t work, and what is more it further empowers them.

I would even argue that Pelosi’s pre-emptive announcement that she wasn’t gonna impeach him on the collusion with Russia scandal, empowered him to seek help once more, this time from Ukraine.

He has already been dealing blow after blow to what he perceives as his enemies. Look at how he did away with state air pollution restrictions set by California.

There are children on concentration camps.

He needs to be impeached on absolutely ALL of these charges.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

Naglfar wrote:

He [Trump] already said he thinks this is good for him.

Yes, but Trump’s a fucking moron who doesn’t know shit about basically anything.

It may be good for him with his base, but those dumb fucks were going to vote for Cheeto Jesus anyway. It won’t be good for him with anyone else, and he’s too fucking delusional and Fox-addled to understand that.

I just hope they start throwing the other members of his administration in prison for their crimes, too, so those evil fuckstains with a R after their name think twice about pulling this shit again.

Betrayer
Betrayer
1 year ago

It will be bad when McConnell refuses to act despite overwhelming evidence.

It would be worse if Pelosi kept letting Trump get away with everything.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Diego Duarte

She absolutely is a white supremacist, as is Schumer, and every single ‘moderate’ or ‘centrist’ in the U.S., bar none.

@Diego Duarte

He needs to be impeached on absolutely ALL of these charges.

I didn’t say not to do it. I want the impeachment to move forward. I’m just worried about what could happen next. Sorry if what I said was unclear.

@Gaebolga

I know he is a moron, and I know his base won’t change. I was more worried that if the impeachment doesn’t go through (and McConnell won’t allow it) that his party will find a way to spin it such that it looks bad for Democrats. I know impeachment is the right thing to do, and I support doing it.

I too would like to see Trump in prison for the rest of his life. Maybe he can be cell mates with Pence and Giuliani.

Sorry if my earlier remarks seemed to be against impeachment. I am for impeachment, I’m just nervous. My apologies if this was unclear.

Kevin
Kevin
1 year ago

So two good news stories today from my point of view. This morning there was the decision of the UK High Court that BoJo the Clown’s prorogation of Parliament was unlawful and they should resume their business. This evening the news of impeachment proceedings starting against Don Combover is a soothing nightcap for the moment.

@Naglfar

I’m not dismissing your concerns, they are perfectly valid. Before Trump assumed the presidency, everyone who knew him was warning us he was extremely vengeful and petty. He would then go on to prove he was exactly that, which is what every textbook narcissist does.

Could he do worse? Yes, quite frankly he could, and his base would love him for it. But he’s already been on that loop and, despite what he tries to get us to believe, this sort of shit unhinges him. He is terrible at playing defense. Remember that whole “I’m fucked!” bit that came out of the Mueller probe?

Impeachment proceedings tend to be long, so hopefully, even if they are ultimately dismissed by McConnell, they will drag out well into the election next year. That would de-moralize him and sidetrack him with so many things.

I mean, the guy has already been adopting Neo-Nazi parafernalia and insignias. The way he’s headed he could move towards open fascism pretty soon. I fear he is already playing all his cards because he is afraid what come next after he loses the 2020 election.

Shalimar
Shalimar

@weirwoodtreehugger

I don’t think Pelosi was dragged into it. Her one great skill as a politician is controlling her caucus in important votes. Her hesitation all these months means she wasn’t going to get 218 votes for impeachment, and a failed vote in the House would have been the worst possible result in this catastrophe of a presidency. That she is willing to go forward now means Ukraine has changed the political calculus of the more selfish Dems and Pelosi can count on having enough votes when the times comes.

@Diego Duarte

My hope is that proceedings will reveal how repulsive he is to possible swing voters (I don’t think there are many, but there could be some) and maybe sway them away from him. Not sure if this will happen, but it might.

He seems extra fascistic lately, so I share that fear. The scarier part, though, is that millions of Americans support him still. Someone told me shortly after the election “not everyone who voted for him is a fascist.” That’s BS. Anyone who supports what he is now doing is unambiguously a fascist.

@Naglfar

As far as voters leaving him, his trade wars with China are costing him the rural vote. His tax returns also decimated plenty of small businesses and working class White people, who are now re-evaluating whether their racism is worth more than their livelihood. And granted it’s not all of them, but it’s enough of them to put him at 38% of voter intention, per Fox News polls. And if it’s Fox News, the reality might be that his voter intention is in the low 30s.

Now if we could only get rid of Putin, Bolsonaro and Xi Jingping as well…

Amy E
Amy E
1 year ago

@Kevin – yes, exactly. So two news stories today in which state leaders are shown that even their actions can have consequences.

I’m worried about Moscow Mitch just doing another block-em-all move, but I think it’s good that the centrist Dems have finally been spurred to action. I really, really hope that this time isn’t going to be another Mueller, or Kavanaugh, or tax return subpoena…

Amy E
Amy E
1 year ago

BTW a friend just sent this article my way, by Seth Abramson. Most interesting read.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
rv97
1 year ago

Time to DESTROY the institutions that serve only religious fundamentalism, big companies and what is effectively an empire because of the state consistently acting against the interests of its own people and often serving itself and the former two institutions.

kupo
kupo
1 year ago

Since this is an open thread, let me just express my disappointment that Rebecca Watson just posted an incredibly fatphobic video/article. 🙁

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I’m pretty well convinced that if Trump doesn’t manage to steal the election and he loses, he will not leave office. At least not if he thinks he has the backing to get away with it.

I’ve got to wonder if the elites have finally decided he’s too unstable to be worth it anymore. Especially as they already got their tax cut and court appointments. The clue will be if the “moderate*” Republicans abandon him. I mean, I’d like to think it was pressure from the left that did it, but I don’t know.

It’s going to be a wild year in 2020.

The one good thing I’ll say about Pelosi, the first good thing I’ve said in awhile is that she doesn’t like to lose. Know that she’s approved impeachment going forward, going forward is what it will do. To be clear, I agree with the criticisms of her from the left though.

* moderate by GOP standards, which means slight less overtly fascist but only because they like the appearance of living in a civil and well ordered society.

rv97
1 year ago

@Diego Duarte seconded on the last paragraph. Russia must become liberal. Brazil must become liberal. China must become liberal. The world must become liberal.

@WWTH

Oh, that was one concern that many people seem to share. I also don’t think it likely that he will leave on his own accord. He will probably try to go all the way to the SC to invalidate the election. If that doesn’t pan out, he will try to convince the military to keep him in the White House.

It’s gonna be all kinds of ugly. Hopefully it doesn’t all devolve into the founding of Gilead.

@WWTH, Diego Duarte
I think someone in a previous thread mentioned that if the president refuses to leave office that there is a protocol in place for getting them out. Not sure what it is. We should make sure it can be implemented, as I am sure he will try to claim the results are invalid and try to stay in office. The possibility of a military dictatorship is worrying, seeing as I believe a large number of military members still support him, including higher ups.

@kupo
I’m sorry to hear that. I used to support Rebecca Watson, so it is rather disappointing that she would do this.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Naglfar

If this fails, things could go very badly for us. I’m worried.

What is a fail condition to the impeachment though? Like the Republicans not voting for it in the Senate? That’s almost certain to happen. Or is there another fail condition?

@kupo

It’s making a comeback, I hear, because it’s about time, according to Bill Maher. Can’t let the fatties not know they’re fat! /s

Which post was the one you were referring to, though? The LION diet one? I’m reading it now and I’ve come across one snark about women and lying about their diets and this horrible medical advice

Peterson is right with her last point: “many (if not most) health problems are treatable with diet alone.”

but admittedly I haven’t finished reading it yet.

@Big Titty Demon

I’m more worried about repercussions. Some part of me thinks they’ll spin it into “lying Democrats tried to impeach” and they’ll craft a martyrdom narrative. The real fail scenario is if this gets spun into us being the bad guys. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

many (if not most) health problems are treatable with diet alone.”

There’s just so much wrong with that quote. I’m rather surprised Rebecca Watson posted it.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Naglfar

Democrats are already the bad guys in the Trump narrative, and we are already lying. He literally said we were lying and it was fake news, before he admitted to the Ukraine call and said he did everything suspected. That fail condition is built in, and his supporters will believe every word of it lock, stock, and barrel. It’s just whether there are in fact any such people as “moderate Republicans” left and whether or not they really have any morals and will vote for the Democratic candidate afterwards.

Re: the quote. I read the rest of the article and it was filled with stuff like the fatties just need to watch their calories, which sucks, but oh well, and eat a whole fruit and a vegetable while they are at it! It was like… well that’s clearly not a person that struggled with their weight, or if they did, they hella forgot what it was like. Damn. It’s not even trying to be gentle. It kind of undermines the concern from the beginning portion of the article, where she was, I think, genuinely trying to debunk JP’s daughter’s terrible all-meat diet based on concern for people’s health if they followed it.

kupo
kupo

@Big Titty Demon
That’s the one. It gets worse. Sounded like it got even worse than the point I noped out at, too. I’m done, not going to read Skepchick anymore unless she gives a true apology and addresses how she’s going to change her behavior going forward, which I expect to never happen. My mental health can’t take the hit.

@Big Titty Demon

You’re right. I guess I just need to wait and see what happens. I’m glad we are taking steps to impeach, even if it is late.

I’m guessing it’s someone who has never struggled with weight but thinks they know better than those who have.

All meat diets seem rather sketchy, much like everything else Peterson says. I can assume that it’s probably not the best diet. That being said, this is not the way to discuss and debunk.

@kupo
I hadn’t read Skepchick in a while, but now that this has been posted I’ll not be checking back again either.

C4twoman
C4twoman
1 year ago

A white supremacist? Seriously?

Some of you need to get over yourselves. Pelosi is a centrist, true. And a tactician. (and people with more self awareness could see when they are not.) But calling her a white supremacist is ridiculous and shows a slide into horseshoe/purity pony thinking.

Whatever the fuck is wrong with you people?

kupo
kupo
1 year ago

Whatever the fuck is wrong with you people?

Yeah, must be something wrong with us to recognize white supremacist behavior when we see it. 🙄 I mean, come on, have you seen how she goes after the fab four? Why them, specifically, do you think?

ObSidJag
ObSidJag

@Kevin:
Thanks for that extra bit of good news…and totally loving the “BoJo the Clown” moniker!

Bastard deserves it.

Lainy
Lainy
1 year ago

Okay she’s a ass kissing coward that serves no ones interest but her own and what she can get out of it, who has so far bent the boot to a tyrant. Sounds like someone you’d actually get along with quite well.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Whatever the fuck is wrong with you people?

Probably plenty, but at least we don’t lurk around a blog for the express purpose of jumping in and telling the commenters how awful they are every once in a while.

comment image?itemid=8702603

Lainy
Lainy
1 year ago

ot but it’s an open thread and I’m excited

a month from now I’m gonna be a married woman hopefully if everything goes according to plan. If I could I would invite all of you to the wedding because of how much this website has helped me heal. Y’all are such wonderful people with such diverse views on life and y’all have taught me so much about the world outside of my own door. I would give this website 30 % of the credit, not just the concept of feminism, but this website and it’s commenters credit for me getting married in the first place.

Four or five years ago I could never have imagined falling in love, or being comfortable with being touched and vulnerable again. After everything that happened I gave up on one of things I wanted most in life which was to fall in love and be a mother some day. Now I can see my whole future with a man that is so wonderful he makes everyday feel like the way a sunset looks. I cannot wait to call him my husband

Hugs and if I could fly each of you out to Kansas for a wedding I would.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

FINALLY

F I N A L L Y
I
N
A
L
L
Y

@Catwoman

Pelosi is a centrist, true. And a tactician

A “tactician” whose greatest accomplishment during the Trump administration was to not give him the votes for his wall, which other democrats would never have agreed to anyway. A “tactician” that has raked in more Ls because of her reluctance to do absolutely anything.

Seriously, where the fuck do people get off thinking she’s brilliant for precisely not doing a fucking thing whilst Trump and republicans run circles around their whole party? She hasn’t managed to counter a fucking thing they’ve been doing to conduct power grab after power grab.

And yes, she is a White supremacist. Like we’ve said, she has done nothing to prevent Trump from violating the fundamental rights of minorities, yet she takes substantial time to criticize the Squad both at home and abroad, and she organizes the Democrat caucus to bully and isolate them?

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

I hope Giuliani stays safe for a while longer. He seems to be incapable of not blurting out things damaging to Trump.

@WWTH:

I’m not sure whether there really are moderate Republicans any more. But, as far as Trump’s stability goes, the one thing we can be almost certain of is that he’s not going to improve in that respect. In fact, the impeachment process will probably push him further off the rails. On the one hand, this is dangerous: what will he decide to do as distraction? On the other, the more unstable he gets, the greater the chance that Republican senators will turn against him, out of pure self-preservation.

Snowberry
Snowberry
1 year ago

The biggest possible mess I can think of is if Trump isn’t impeached, then the Russians manipulate the vote in his favor, and then the Chinese manipulate the vote in the Democratic candidate’s favor (they’re not our friends, they just hate Trump) and then everyone finds out about both of those things. Who the hell knows how that would shake out. I mean, the obvious thing would be to tighten election security and revote, but I suspect that wouldn’t happen easily or at all, regardless of who “won”.

C4twoman
C4twoman
1 year ago

“She is undeniably a grade-A racist. She will be remembered as a coward and a Nazi enabler.”

There’s no supporting objective evidence for those statements. And even if they were tangentially connected to reality as we know it, Pelosi would hardly be a “grade A” racist. Grade “K”, possibly. More like “Q”….. Grade “A” is Richard Spencer, Mitch McConnell territory.

This community has now become another example of how uncritical outrage leads to the horseshoe effect, in turn leading to irrelevance.

If this is who you’ve decided to be–alleged feminists irrationally outraged at a female politician doing the best with what she has in a first past the post system with limited options, further limited by an opposition acting in bad faith and exploiting every loophole to keep power– and your main criticism isn’t you disagree with her centrism and caution or think she should have done x strategy but that she’s A FRICKING NAZI?

Then your community has ceased being rational or relevant actors.

I will suggest that most of you have never gone toe to toe, in real life with actual racists or their quislings. If you ever had, you could see this as hyperbole in the very bad taste that it is.

Comparing ICE to Nazis is rational.
Comparing Pelosi to “grade A racists” borders on delusion.

This community of leftists has, in spite of their belief in their super smartz, actually swallowed right wing misogyny repackaged for leftists. Surprise! Don’t ya’ll feel dumb?

Now you know how Bernie Bros came to hate Hilary so much. Or you all would if you had self awareness.

Farewell.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

AT. LONG. LAST.

TacticalProgressive
TacticalProgressive

@C4twoman

Even if she is, supposedly, not an actual White supremacist: she is, by all appearances and rapports: “doing white supremacisy”; with is a distinction with little to no actual difference; and frankly at the end of the day such a distinction doesn’t matter much.

Plus; appeals to the “balance fallacy” does not a sound argument or thesis make.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 year ago

Note from a foreign (country) point of view : nobody expressed anything that classify her as more than a passive enabler for white supremacy. It look more like she is truly hated so people call her names, but politics don’t need, and could not, be only about cold calculation.

That being said, I can see a remake of the last election if Nancy Pelosy is candidate, and while I wasn’t super attentive, I have the general impression that Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton draw much bigger ires than male counterparts like Joe Biden, here like elsewhere (who is hated around here too, mind you, but at least on appareance a lot less so).

Now, once again, as a foreigner maybe I missed something that make thoses two much more despisable than the other democrat leader. Or maybe you think you hate them equally but without meaning it unload a lot more against the female one. Or maybe it’s entirely perception from my part.

Nina
Nina
1 year ago

White supremacy is still very much the status quo in the US. Thus it’s no surprise that centrists like Pelosi are upholding it and it’s fair to say that they are white supremacists themselves. They may not be as obvious about it as right wingers, but they’re doing just as much harm. In the end, centrists will always side with fascism.

@Lainy
Congratulations on your wedding! I am so happy for you.

@C4twoman
Where do you get off on constantly showing up to tell us how awful we all are? There are at least 3 other threads where you’ve done this.

But to respond to your comment: Pelosi is definitely a white supremacist. Look at it this way: in a fascist regime, there are two sides: the fascists and the opposition. Anyone who isn’t standing up to the fascists is one of them. Pelosi has repeatedly failed to stand up to Trump, and has actively tried to harm minority congresswomen like Omar and AOC. She may not be as vocal about it as Trump, but she definitely is racist. To do nothing in the face of oppression is to be an oppressor.

1 2 3 4