gender policing makeup is a lie MGTOW misogyny

Women are getting plastic surgery perma-smiles to counteract Resting Bitch Face

Why so serious?

It’s pledge drive time! If you’re a fan of this blog, please donate what you can to keep it going by clicking the button below. THANKS!

By David Futrelle

So the latest trend in plastic surgery. according to the New York Post, is women giving their so-called Resting Bitch Faces a little surgical pick-me up, turning their frowns upside down with the help of strategically placed Botox and fillers.

Apparently some women feel such pressure to keep a smile on their face — even, or perhaps especially, when they’re in uncomfortable situations — that they want their lips permanently fixed into what one patient described to the Post as not a “Joker smile” but a “pleasant resting look.”

Weird that there’s no similar pressure on men to get rid of their Resting Jerk Faces.

In any case, plastic surgeons interviewed by the Post said there’s been a big uptick in requests for the anti-bitch-face procedure in recent years.

“This is actually a common request from patients — I get several each week,” says Dr. David Shafer, a double board-certified plastic surgeon and medical director of Shafer Plastic Surgery & Laser Center in Midtown. ….

The procedure takes about 10 to 20 minutes, costs between $500-5,000, with top docs, depending on the number of shots. It typically lasts up to two years.

Although the term [Resting Bitch Face] entered the cultural lexicon about six years ago, requests for the procedure “more than doubled” over the last year, says Shafer. …

“The worse the ‘bitch face,’ the more effective the Botox,” says Shafer. “If you always look dumpy, or unfriendly … people are going to react to you differently.”

The procedure works, the Post says, by injecting “hyaluronic acid dermal fillers” into specific areas around the mouth and “underneath [patients’] lips to plump and re-angle their mouths.” Botox is also used in some cases.

Don’t anyone tell the MGTOWs about this. They’ll denounce it as a new form of female deception even worse than makeup.

Dalillama
Dalillama

Try sixteen years ago. At least.

Liberetto
Liberetto

This is so sad.

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner

Yeah, I’ve known about it for a long time. I wish there was a cure…

Naglfar

The whole idea of Botox is a little unsettling to me. Just the idea of injecting something really toxic into my face.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

Huh. I would never do that. I like my RBF. It’s how my face is, people can deal with it.

Conteacher
Conteacher

I had to google to find images of RBF because while I have heard the term I was never able to actually visualize it. People are concerned about this?

numerobis
numerobis

My dad mentioned how odd it was that every important pundit in the news had a permanent frown.

When I was a kid.

I’m middle aged.

epitome of incomprehensibility

That’s kind of sad (not in the Donald Trump sense of the word). Elective surgeries are expensive, plus there’s the recovery time.

@numerobis – I guess because a lot of wrinkles show up between the eyes and around the mouth. So far I just have wrinkles under my eyes – the ones on my forehead aren’t permanent yet – but somehow I have a “resting confused/slightly anxious face.”

Which is…kind of accurate for me? 😛

Crip Dyke
Crip Dyke

I’ve found that my resting bitch face is improved by reading WHTM. Including the comments.

Of course, it does sometimes result in active bitch face, but whatevs.

epitome of incomprehensibility

Another thought in reply to @numerobis (the last comment isn’t showing up yet): people doing the news-pundit thing are expected to look serious. So frowny would be a kind of default mode.

By the way, did anyone else hear about the photo that surfaced with Justin Trudeau in brownface for an “Arabian nights” costume? I don’t mean brownface metaphorically, he really did use make-up to make his face darker, which has a bad history even if he didn’t mean to be offensive. This was years ago when he was a teacher, not a prime minister, but shouldn’t teachers know better?

Sure, the Conservatives are going to make noises about this since it’s a Liberal doing it, like they did with the SNC-Lavalin scandal (in that case Trudeau covered stuff up and, IMO, treated MP Wilson-Raybauld badly, but it was grating to hear the Conservatives pretend they were being so very virtuous by amplifying to the voice of an Indigenous woman, like that was their reason).

(excuse my run-on sentences and temporary Canada-centricity)

ObSidJag
ObSidJag

Well, the “resting bitch face” syndrome goes hand in hand with the “you’d be so pretty if you smiled more” or the “smile–it couldn’t be that bad” horse hockey women are subjected to regularly.

Word to these doofuses: when I smile is when I’m at my most lethally sarcastic so be thankful for my RBF.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I forgot who said “My bitch face isn’t resting. It’s active as fuck.” But, same. My bitch face is not going anywhere!

Z&T
Z&T

Sounds like a bunch of advertising BS.

There’s some kind of skin cream (s) advertising this –
“acid” also.

We’re rolling our (probably baggy) eyes here.

And with the popularity of Grumpy Cat, who wouldn’t want such a face?

Also most people are not rolling in money. There are face and neck exercises to be done. Most people have probably seen these things, and if not, you might go looking for sim. Not to mention all sorts of OTC “skin tightening” potions.

I look a bit frowny today. Uh oh, I might have RBF!
CARVE ME UP, DOC!

What a load of *double board certified!*
BULL SHIT.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

OT, but fascinating, and I know there are several language geeks around here:

galanx
galanx

My wife’s whole family is like this- her, her sister, two brothers. I often solicitously inquire “what’s wrong?”, only to be returned a look of surprise and the answer “nothing”. Their mouths just naturally turn down when at rest. (Me and my family are noted for cute button noses, which some unkind people have likened to squashed potatoes.)

Pie
Pie

I had a load of dental work done yesterday, with extra doses of local anesthetic. More or less paralysed the bottom left quadrant fo my face for a few hours, and weirdly made it look a little like I was smiling on that side. So now I’m wondering if my RBF is actually R at all.

@Z&T

Sounds like a bunch of advertising BS.

There’s some kind of skin cream (s) advertising this –
“acid” also.

Nope, its a real thing. And a real acid, too. Probably nothing special when used as a skin cream (compared to any other moisturizer), but it is used as a filler in cosmetic surgery.

Wikipedia link.

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

I don’t naturally have RBF. I guess my resting expression is open and approachable and apparently also geographically knowledgeable (???). I’m asked for directions almost every single day of my life. Not yesterday, when I was in a vile, stressy mood all day (work stuff).

Joke’s on the world though – I have a terrible sense of direction.

\

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady

When people ask me to smile I bare my teeth at them. If people get more annoying about it I’ll throw in a growl or hiss as well.

And from what I can tell I have resting blank face. If I’m not wearing glasses it’s unfocused resting blank face. Can’t see far beyond the tip of my nose without corrective lenses.

@Pie:
Even resting muscles have a base tone. Anesthetic gets rid of that.* To get a somewhat accurate picture of what your face looks like at rest have someone take a picture of you while you are sleeping.

*As does unconsciousness. That’s why we need the rescue position.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@galanx

lol I have had similar experiences from the other end. I legit had to tell someone once, “I’m not angry, my face just looks like that.”

LollyPop
LollyPop

If this surgeon is hoping to drum up more business his expert application of the word “dumpy” is a evil masterstroke – “not only do you have RBF, you’re kinda plain and uninspiring too!” Most people must leave his office planning to spend a few thousand more than they intended when they entered.

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

I admit I get suspicious every time a news outlet claims something is “a trend” — so often it just seems like anecdata.

Miri
Miri

Like honestly I love my RBF. I wouldn’t mind getting plastic surgery to keep it.

happy cat
happy cat

Honestly, I wish I had a RBF!

I have a facial twitch that makes me smile when I’m nervous and I can’t control it. I wish I had a RBF, that’s so badass!

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady

The best way to get rid of wrinkles is to fill them up from the inside.

By having a decent amount of body fat, that is.

Being fat and gender non conforming is also a good way to keep dudes away.

There are plenty of people who are only clued in that I’m not a cis man when I open my mouth and speak. My HH-cup tits are apparently not obvious enough…

Naglfar

People have complained that I frown too much (nobody’s specifically called it RBF, but I think that’s what they’re describing), but I really don’t care. When people want to take pictures with me, especially when I was younger, they always ask me to smile with teeth, but I generally refuse to smile with teeth if I smile at all. I just don’t like the way it looks for me.

@ObSidJag

Same here. If I smile, I am probably thinking about a snarky comment or an inside joke.

When reading WHTM, if I see something especially ridiculous, I make a strange facial expression that combines rolling eyes with half a nervous smile.

Meerkat
Meerkat

Thanks for that article, Surplus. Very interesting!

As for rbf the existence of the term is just pressure to be decorative and subservient all the time and I won’t stand for it.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

In high school, I adopted what I considered to be a duchess face: haughty and cold. I wore this expression in the hallways between classes, and I employed it defensively, to ward off evil.

A friend of mine once spotted me when I was playing the duchess, and she said that if she didn’t know me, she would have been afraid to talk to me.

Victorious Parasol

I’ve been told that my RBF is rather terrifying. I can live with that.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

Great Bleeding SHIT…

I know (metaphorically speaking) this is who we are, and it’s really always BEEN who we are….

But I have to say, we looked a shitload better when we just faked it instead of slathering our self-absorbed hatred onto everything like it’s butter on a waffle….

Metaphorically speaking, we’re ugly when we’re naked….

(E.T.A., this is about MY peer group… white, xian heritage, middle/working class men)

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

I don’t have resting bitch face so much as resting rage face, which can be problematic. However, when I lived in SF and used to walk around a lot, it was actually useful; I naturally walk fairly quickly, and combined with my resting face, people would avoid the fuck out of me on the street.

Yay!

Talonknife
Talonknife

A combination of an unusually large lower lip and a slight underbite gives me a naturally very grumpy neutral expression. My grandmother asks me what’s wrong nearly every time she sees me because I apparently always look upset about something.

Katamount

OT, but in other news, my Prime Minister did brownface when he was an impressionable young man of 30 years.

Somehow I doubt this will sink Trudeau further than SNC-Lavalin, but time will tell. How it took TIME Magazine to find this is beyond me.

cheesynougats
cheesynougats

Epitome, the idea of apologizing for being “Canada- centric” is so Canadian. 🙂

@Talonknife
I think my lower lip is larger than usual as well, because people tell me that my resting expression looks like I’m pouting.

@Katamount
I know that this is bad, but a bit south of you is a country where the president does worse things than that regularly.

unit_000
unit_000

Multiple times, as it transpires

Are there any leaders of “Western” nations who aren’t complete shitehawks?

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

@Naglfar – uh, that’s not particularly helpful. We’re in the beginning of an election, and this bullshit is yet another thing the cons can use to try to bury the liberals, after they’ve made hay with the SNC-Lavalin bullshit for the past what, year?

(And if you are unfamiliar with this ‘government rocking’ scandal… Why not?)

This honestly is more akin to the pussy tape than ‘nothing’, which is what you seem to be implying. This is probably going to be tied in with the performance that Trudeau put on when he visited India, and when he invited a ‘terrorist’ to come with him. (That’s in quotations because I haven’t read up on it, and what a government declares as a terrorist is not always a terrorist, so I want to be fair.)

I know the Americans are dealing with a lot, and believe me, I sympathise. But currently it’s the Canadian’s turn to be freaking out over the possibility of an Andrew Scheer government, and what that’s going to do to them.

Also remember that a bunch of provincial elections went super right, and we (in Ontario + Alberta + I think other provinces, I’m sorry, I just can’t bear looking them up right now) are dealing with a bunch of right wing bullshit.

Just saying. We’re freaking out.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Surplus to Requirements:
I knew several pieces of that, but it was fun to see it all in one place. Though I think they missed one piece, which was that the first influx of Latinate words occurred during the Roman occupation two thousand years ago, between the first two Germanic invasions.

@epitome of incomprehensibility, Katamount:
Yes, I was hearing about that on the radio this morning. I think you’re right in that it’s hard for it to do more damage than Trudeau’s already facing, and the apology I heard sounded pretty direct, no prevaricating around and excuses like he continues to do with SNC-Lavalin.

Hambeast
Hambeast

Another woman with RBF here. I have been told by large and intimidating men that they were intimidated by me, much to my shock!

Speaking of shock, when I first started doing a lot of reading online, I was shocked to hear about women’s accounts of being accosted/bothered/approached in public. This has been a rare occurrence for me throughout my life, for which I am now very grateful.

Weasel-Rah
Weasel-Rah

Is the term “dumpy” ever used by anybody who isn’t trying to sell you something?

@Rhuu
Sorry. I don’t know much about Canadian politics (I was unaware there was an election, not totally sure what the SNC-Lavalin scandal is), and I now realize that what I said came across as insensitive. My apologies to Canadians.
I’m just dreading the possibility of another 4 years of Trump, because Joe Biden somehow is still leading in the primary and is definitely incapable of winning.

kupo
kupo

@Weasel-Rah
Yeah, dudes trying to neg you.

@Naglfar
Not cool.

Edit: didn’t see your reply before I sent this. Thanks for owning up to it.

Magnificent Maelificara
Magnificent Maelificara

I must have resting please-give-me-a-bible face since whenever those guys are on campus, no matter how large of a group I’m with, they will always try and talk to me. My sister tells me my resting face makes me look lost, so maybe the two are connected?

Anyway, I came across this blog recently and have been reading voraciously. Thank you all and David for being awesome <3

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

I know you’re dreading it. I’m dreading it too, because he has really set the bar low for the rest of the world. But that doesn’t diminish what the rest of the world is dealing with.

You have a lot on your plate to keep up with. Now imagine that, for the rest of the world, we have to both keep up with yours *and* ours.
comment image

Here’s a timeline of the scandal. It’s a pretty big deal, but also not as big a deal as the cons are trying to make it out to be…

But I might be biased, because my voting pattern is “who is likely to beat the conservatives? VOTE FOR THEM” so liberal, NDP, and even maybe the greens? are all options for me.

This is literally what the linked articles are right now. This brown-faced stuff is big news right now.
comment image

THERE’S THE EDIT TIMER!

I wanted to add a final note that on this whole world politic stage, everything just stinks. It all stinks.

Thanks for the apology, I do appreciate it!

Naglfar

@Rhuu, kupo, and everyone else who called me out

I recognize that what I said was wrong, and that I shouldn’t have said that. I know that it all sucks, and I shouldn’t say things that belittle other’s problems. My apologies again to anyone I offended. Thank you for the additional information, it helps me understand better so I don’t make mistakes like that again.

Katamount

@Naglfar

Don’t I know it. Which is why I’m keeping focused on policies rather than personal nonsense. I live in a riding with a popular Liberal incumbent and to ensure the Tories don’t represent me, I gotta cast a ballot for him.

My fear is that the Liberals have nobody else prominent enough to represent the party going into this election except Trudeau. I think he’ll have to tough out this election, then he should immediately resign.

Lainy
Lainy

I remember being 16 and walking down the hall of my highschool. In my head at the moment I was thinking about how much I hated to be alive and at that exact moment on of the annoying teachers the school had saw me and said in exact words
“Smile Lain it’s not that bad” and I deadass stopped and slowly turned to him and said “you don’t know shit about shit so keep your opinions to yourself”
Needless to say I got in trouble but that was my biggest breaking point of the constant being told to smile

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner

@Weasel-Rah:

My mom uses that to describe anyone who doesn’t dress exactly like she does. This includes all of the women on my dad’s side of the family. It’s her own special brand of classism/sexism/ableism/jealousy.

@Weasel-Rah, Yutolia
My mother uses it to describe places she doesn’t want to go. When I was a kid, she would constantly reject possible vacation destinations by calling them “dumpy”. Classism and elitism all in one.
My mother loved the idea of travel but tended to hate actually going on vacation.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

Ugh, more Stepford Wives garbage. This culture. Ugh.

I don’t have “RBF” and kind of wish I did, because the way things are I basically have “Please fuck around with me, I will put up with anything” written on my face. This despite never wearing makeup and presenting as the most obvious lesbian ever.

And meanwhile so many dudes are legit terrifying the way they glower at everyone by default, but do they get pushed to have it surgically corrected? Noooo of course not. *sighs heavily*