announcements off topic open thread

I’m still here, just taking a break

Hey, everyone. I’m still here. I’m just taking a break. Sometimes I need to step back and clear my head of the usual manosphere nonsense for a few days. But I’ll be back soon.

In the meantime, here are some funny things from the Twitter? (And feel free to consider this an open thread.)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Enjoy your break; you deserve it!

And trawling through all the stuff you do for this blog; you no doubt need it.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

“usual” manoaphere nonsense…?

Frankly, I find it to be… highly unusual….

Jurgan
Jurgan

So, I don’t watch reality TV, but a few weeks back Libby Anne shared some clips from The Bachelorette, and they’re a pretty perfect example of male entitlement mixed with religiosity. This guy has stalker written all over him.

moregeekthan
moregeekthan

David, thanks for all you do. Wishing you a restful break.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

David, I hope you’re feeling well. Thanks for your devotion to spreading the news about awful people. We need to know.

zonuts
zonuts

I almost never comment, but I do read faithfully, and I appreciate all you do. I hope this break is good for your mind and body. I’m fostering a pair of ridiculously adorable puppies for a week. If a picture or two would further your recovery, just say so.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

The TikTok is wonderful. I just showed it to my boyfriend, and we laughed and laughed. We have an orange cat, and orange cats are famously, shall we say, spirited.

Half an hour ago, I told him to put his paw down. That’s the cat, not my boyfriend. Often when I speak to him he’s got his paw up, just a little bit, to let me know that he’ll kill me if he has to. I told him to put his paw down and he did. His previous kitty dad told us that this cat was a very smart boy. I went in the other room to tell my boyfriend what the cat had done, but I whispered it so the cat wouldn’t know I was talking about him. But maybe he also has supersonic hearing.

@zonuts
Rx: Many, many studies have shown that the photos of pups would help David tremendously.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

His previous kitty dad told us that this cat was a very smart boy.

When I was a kid we had three(!) marmalade cats of various shades and behaviours. The youngest one was the smartest one, though. My mum went into the living room one morning to investigate some unusual noises. There was Nicky – misbehaving as expected. She spoke sharply to him to stop it. And he went into that crouching, bottom up, Ima gonna pounce on something right now posture with a bit of a nasty gleam in his eye. She knew him, she said “Don’t you dare bite me.”

So he bit the leg of the piano stool instead.

She had to go and sit down in the kitchen she was laughing so hard.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Jurgan

Yeep, tried to watch the clips, was too painful. Read the transcript instead. Go Hannah!

@zonuts

Kat is correct. 97% of scientists have reached a consensus on the issue, pups have a beneficial impact on David’s health and well-being.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@mildlymagnificent

That story was too funny.

Our cat threatens to bite me or scratch me all the time. When we first got him, he did it a lot. Thank goodness he pulled his punches, but it still hurt.

He still threatens me but it’s mostly symbolic. Not completely, though. Ouch.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I don’t know about David, but I’m having a sort of rough week, so I’d appreciate pups!

I’m hoping the rough week passes though. I’ve just gotten all the angry callers at work the past two days for some reason. Otherwise, things are going well. I’ve officially gone from contractor to real employee as of Tuesday and the benefits are at least seemingly good. You never know about insurance until you have to actually use it though. Plus, I got a raise. So that’s always nice!

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Hope you get better

@weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
Glad to hear you got a raise!

EDIT:

Mother said:
Oogly I really disappointed in you now. Tell me one reason that why would I need to supporting you? You don’t even show me that you’re listening to one thing I said

Tired of this new home already. Why do I even bother?

Z&T
Z&T

Rest up!

We fellow Chicagoans have already joined you in resting up!

Weather is horrid. For those who can’t experience this – it’s been hotter than hell + 90% humidity. 100% today. Like a sauna out there.

Which will sap the energy right out of you. The air is like *soup*.

Fans, cool air, rest.

Congrats on the NYT citation also! 🙂

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Hugs, Oogly. I’m sorry you’re not getting the support you need.

Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged
Bananananana dakry: Short-Haired, Fat, and Deranged

@Z&T

Northern Illinois expatriate. I know of what you speak. The Midwest is hell in summer. Chicago doubly so.

Ucalegont
Ucalegont

Enjoy your break. I give you My permission to make it as long as you need.

I’m a bit in awe of people, like you and many others, who spend the day looking at the worst things on the internet. You must have very thick skin. I have to avoid certain media if I want to keep a minimum of inner peace.

CarrieV
CarrieV

Take a brain-bleach vacay as often as you need. The Internet just lost Melissa McEwan of Shakesville due to how much stress, strain, and outright trauma her job caused her. (She is alive and well, healing, in fact from her daily grind as writer and editor of all things SJW at her site, Shakesville.)

Dealing with shitheads of all kinds, including our current so-called president, no doubt takes its toll. Be well, hug kitties, feed kitties, play with kitties, get away with as much as the kitties will allow in order to feel back up to your whole self.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Wishing you rest, recovery, a mental pillow-fort and plenty of cats to re-charge your reserves of fortitude and cattitude, David. Thank you for everything you do here.

Amy E
Amy E

Have a wonderful break!

Victorious Parasol

Some days, you just need to sit and do nothing. Preferably with a kitty sitting on you.

ObSidJag
ObSidJag

Echoing all the others who want you to take care of yourself. The shit you deal with is toxic and soul-destroying.
Speaking for myself, the brain bleach of puppies, kitties, etc., is always appreciated.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

For legal buffs; Court of Appeal has today upheld local authorities’ right to impose Public Spaces Protection Orders near abortion providers.

That’s a mechanism that stops people approaching people using the facilities; and any form of protest or picketing.

Katamount

Self-care is important. I can relate: yesterday, I suddenly came down with dizziness and body aches and an ever so slight stuffy nose. I suspect it’s yet another summer cold (I had one in July), but this feels different than my usual cold symptoms. For me, colds always start in the throat and end in the nose, occasionally with the body aches, but this was immediate body aches that just left me feeling warped and loopy.

Ugh, and with the boss on vacation, I’m in charge, so no chance of time off.

Ah well, at least it’s relatively quiet.

zonuts
zonuts

Bella and Brownie, our foster puppies, at the link:

Ariblester
Ariblester

Hey, everyone, I’m here to shill my WHTM Quote Helper again, now on version 1.4.3:

What

A userscript (or bookmarklet) that adds a “Quote” button to the bottom of every comment that pastes a timestamped and linked copy of the comment you’re quoting into the Reply box. Gracefully handles formatting, links, emoji, images, YouTube embeds, and nested blockquotes. Beat the blockquote mammoth!

Also adds a Search icon next to everyone’s username that searches this site for that username using Google’s site: option. Useful for confirming the bona fides of posters.

Also adds a strikeout button to the formatting toolbar. I see no problem with this!

Where

On Greasyfork as a Userscript: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/377808-whtm-quote-helper
(You’ll have to create a Greasyfork account to install it, because it’s a script for a site with “adult content”. C’est la vie.)

On Pastebin (Oh yes, it’s useful for more than doxxing!) as a Bookmarklet: https://pastebin.com/raw/UKfSjDSf

Known Bugs

Do not quote your own posts when the edit timer is still ticking down. The script enters an infinite loop.

Changelog

v1.0
Initial Release

v1.1
Change to code to handle <p> tags more gracefully

v1.2
Improved the handling of <br> tags and newlines

v1.3
Added strikeout button to formatting bar

v1.4.3
Added Search button next to usernames

Zonuts
Zonuts

The foster pups, Bella and Brownie, with a functional link, I hope:

Ariblester
Ariblester

zonuts wrote on
August 21, 2019 at 9:34 am:

Bella and Brownie, our foster puppies, at the link:
This link didn’t have text in it! Fixed.

They’re adorable!

Lainy
Lainy

Feel better David. I can give you some links to ballets clips that always makes me feel better when I watch them if you like. Idk if it would have the same effects for you but they are beautiful.

Everyone else

Anyone interested in reading the first draft of my wedding vows and telling me what you think? I’m a dancer but not good at speaking and expressing my feelings infornt of large groups of people.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ lainy

Anyone interested in reading the first draft of my wedding vows

I’d be more than happy to if it assist; and, if you like, I can suggest some public speaking tips.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ Big Titty Demon:

This is all lies by the Elitist Intellectuals…. The TROOTH is, David is actually a crisis actor hired by the Deep MRA Conspiracy…

Read it on Alex Jones!!!

Hambeast
Hambeast

David – glad to hear you’re taking some mental health days and not down with migraines.

I hope everyone who’s feeling poorly is better soon, too.

Husbeast and I have his mother living with us now. She is blind and is having issues with hallucinations. Things are not so good right now but we are hopeful since we found a psychiatric urgent care about 40 mins. away and they’ve referred us to county services. MIL has an appointment on the 10th. We are currently waiting out the adjustment to her meds, which will take a couple of weeks to fully take effect. The poor dear is really frightened of some of the things she sees. Husbeast is working from home this week because I’m having trouble coping myself.

Moggie
Moggie

So apparently now Trump thinks he’s King of the Jews? This can’t be good.

Lainy
Lainy

@Alan Robertshaw

That would be great. I’ve done public speaking for classes before of course. But it’s not a fun experience. I don’t want my wedding to be like that when expressing my love for my fiancé to our friends and family. This is what I have written down so far.

Aristotle, the Greek philosopher believed that when human beings were first created we had two faces, four legs, and four arms. The gods fearing our power, split us down the middle into two sperate halves. This would force us to spend our life times looking for our missing half. I didn’t have to look very far to find mind. I believe that my soul would find yours in any life time. That you are my other half I was meant to find. To be with you is to feel complete like how Aristotle described. I stand here today doing the one thing that terrifies me the most, Declaring my love and loyalty to you in front of our friends and family. I do this with faith and trust that you will never harm me, always love me, and never abandon me. Because I am also your one.

Lainy
Lainy

P.s I know Aristotle also thought we had both sets of sex organs, but this is a church wedding and children are going to be there.

Moggie
Moggie

@Lainy, do you want to make everyone cry? Because that will make everyone cry. Or maybe it’s just dusty in my office.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

*has just realised that I have no idea how to use a ‘bookmarklet’.*

Google isn’t telling me how to actually this. I went to the pastebin link, bookmarked it, then came back to this page and clicked the bookmark in my bookmarks toolbar, all that happens is I go to the bookmarklet page.

What am I doing wrong??? Q__Q

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Moggie

So apparently now Trump thinks he’s King of the Jews? This can’t be good.

Evidently he does think so. The polling data would show otherwise, seeing as around 85% of American Jews disapprove of him. He has a few high profile Jews that like him, and it appears that this gives him the confidence to judge all the others. The Republican Party seems to be trying to play some strange mind game where they paint Democrats as antisemitic to cover their own biases, but as far as I can tell nobody is falling for it.
The vast majority of Jews I know absolutely hate Trump. He is easily the most antisemitic president since Nixon. And possibly more of a danger to Jews due to the fact that the alt right didn’t exist under Nixon.

Lainy
Lainy

@Moggie

That’s not the goal but I might cry when saying it to him. I’m trying to put into perfect words how much I love him and how much he means to me. Traditional church vows aren’t really doing it for me. So I suggested we write our own vows.

Moggie
Moggie

@Lainy, nailed it.

@Naglfar, the whole thing is scary. When he said that any American Jew who votes Democratic is guilty of “great disloyalty”, I was appalled. To see the old “divided loyalty” anti-semitic slur being pushed by the president, of all people, and at a time when anti-semitic attacks are on the rise! And now this King of Israel nonsense. I finally can’t even.

kupo
kupo

@Lainy
My officiant gave us a list of questions that we each sent him answers for, then he incorporated them into his speech part of the vows, and the vows we each had to say were much less personal, so we didn’t end up crying (maybe some teary eyes, but we kept our composure). So that’s a potential option for you if your officiant is up for it.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Moggie
And what’s going to make it worse is he is again going to use a minority of right wing pseudo-Jews like Jared Kushner as shields. And Ben Shapiro is going to second him on the whole thing and Trump and co will say “we can’t be antisemites! Ben Shapiro likes us.” Ben Shapiro has been saying since at least 2012 that left wing Jews are not Jews to him, so Trump’s remarks will sit well with Shapiro.

We all knew Trump was an antisemitic from the start. We just didn’t think he would be this blatant about it.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ lainy

No, you’re crying.

That’s really beautiful!

To be honest, I think if you just look your fiancé in the eyes whilst you’re saying that, you’ll bring the house down. And the thing to remember is, your ‘audience’ are your friends and family. They want you to do well; it’s not like you have to win over a tough crowd. You’ll do great!

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Intergalactic Meanie

I thought it was well-known that when David’s job gets too much for him, he goes and does some lab work.

comment image

comment image?w=499&f=1f33e1844f71900c4daeb39c7eb49519

comment image

Oh, and add The Hathor Legacy to the list of feminist sites that no longer exist. Admittedly it’d been dormant for a few years now, but when I stopped by a few months ago I saw that someone had disabled images on site. When I stopped by yesterday, it had been deleted. Presumably the Wayback Machine has it archived, but otherwise all that’s left is a goodbye message.

Sad times. 🙁

Victorious Parasol

@ Lainy

Those are lovely!

From one bride to another – don’t stress yourself out by trying to memorize them. Learn them, yes, but make a little cheat sheet for yourself. I learned that advice when I was getting ready for our wedding, and I didn’t think it would apply, but made the cheat sheet anyway. I’m glad I did. When my husband read his vows in front of everybody, I got so teary-eyed, I barely remembered what I was supposed to do next. But I had my cheat sheet, so it was okay.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Lainy

I’m with Moggie and Alan, nailed it. And I’m not a big one for traditional church vows. Much too much obeying going on in those, and worshipping is not a lot better. Yours is infinitely better.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation

I’d suggest doing what SG-1 had to do at least yearly with Daniel Jackson:

Rehearse!

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@zonuts

Those are adorable puppies! <3

@Ariblester

This sounds useful!

Known Bugs

Why does this happen?

Penny Psmith
Penny Psmith

Okay, I feel like a jerk for nitpicking this, because yeah, lovely vows, but…

Aristotle did not say that.

That story about the double-creatures split in two and how each half looks for their other one is from Plato’s Symposium, which basically revolves around a party where Socrates and his friends talk about the nature of Love, bringing up different ideas (surprise surprise, Socrates ends up being more right than everybody else). This specific story is told by playwright Aristophanes:

I’m not saying you have to change anything, because this is really not the point of the story or of vows or of the wedding or any of that. But if you do want to, it’s a rather small change to make.

I’m really sorry for the nitpicking, I’ve been a literature student for too long and can’t really help myself.

Have a happy day! That’s the most important thing.

Moggie
Moggie

comment image

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@RedSilkPhoenix:
Makes me wish I had access to pictures of Kinda, my cousin’s Rottweiler. Of whom my cousin said, “Have you ever tried to teach a two year old Rottweiler that she isn’t a lapdog anymore?”