abortion brand new ugly

Rep. Steve King: Rape and incest make the world go ’round

Steve King: Just imagine the awful shit bouncing around in his brain

Everybody’s favorite malignant baboon of a congressman — Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa — is one of those politician dudes who opposes abortion SO HARD that he even opposes it in cases of rape and incest.

Today, speaking to the Westside Conservative Club in Urbandale, Iowa, he offered a defense, of sorts, of this position, by suggesting that if we erased all the children of rape and incest from human history that we wouldn’t have much human history left — and not many humans left at all.

What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled out anyone who was a product of rape or incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?

Considering all the wars and all the rapes and pillages that happened throughout all these different nations, I know that I can’t say that I was not a part of a product of that.

Huh. The fact that bad shit used to happen all the time in human history doesn’t mean that we should keep doing that bad shit for history’s sake. Countless women in history were re-traumatized by having to raise children conceived in rape and incest. Let’s maybe leave that in the past, huh?

You can watch the whole horrible thing in the video below.

Brand New Ugly highlights stories that are emblematic of the political and social ugliness of Trump’s America. Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Catalpa
Catalpa

Ok suppose we did do that the psychopath gene would likely be gone from our gene pool no more serial killers and a lot less wars. I lot more harmful mentally defective genes would probably be eliminated too

“Mentally defective genes” are not the reason that rapists are rapists, and cut out that ableist bullshit here.

However, if rapists were turfed out of society, we would almost certainly have a better, less horrible society. Not because of bullshit gene determinism, but because of social dynamics. A society that doesn’t tolerate asshole behavior will have less asshole behavior, regardless of where the genes come from.

See: the case study of the baboon troop who had all their aggressive males die out and developed a much more caring, empathetic culture; when baboons from outside the original troop joined, they also adopted the caring practices:

moregeekthan
moregeekthan

@Victorious Parasol

Could agree more about troll’s these days. Nothing about seagulls, no links to tangental articles, not even a respectable wall of text. Trolling has just gone downhill.

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)

WWTH:

Since no one has yet, I’ll just point out the absurdity of King thinking that rape and incest victims seeking abortion is a new phenomenon. It’s really not. People have been inducing abortion with plants for millennia.

TBF, at least some people in the past were undoubtedly born from rape and incest – likely more than today. King is probably overestimating the number in his mind, if only because so much of US abortion debate revolves around “rape and incest” exception. These conservatives think it’s worth forcing women to have dangerous DIY herbal abortions if there’s any hope it will deter a few women from trying.

Though King’s argument still doesn’t make sense. Should we now abstain from abortions because any child born in our time will likely be an ancestor of many people in the distant future? Or whatever he thinks is the connection.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Moon_Custafer, Lumipuna

King doesn’t actually believe abortion is retroactive to the origins of humanity, right?

Conservatives like to pretend abortions can be retroactive. At least, a number of antichoice protestors have shouted at me “What if you were aborted?” or something like that.

kupo
kupo

@Naglfar
Obese is a term with a lot of history of pathologizing a body type. Please do not use it as if it’s a neutral word.

Catalpa
Catalpa

Conservatives like to pretend abortions can be retroactive

I almost wish that Republicans actually were confused about how causality works, instead of being the bigoted, empathy- deficient assholes that they are.

“We can’t allow abortions in the case of rape and incest because then every person who was ever born from rape or incest would cease to exist!”

“We can’t enact gun control because then the soldiers in the American Revolution wouldn’t have guns to fight the British off with!”

“We can’t remove statues of racist assholes because then we’ll be removing them from the timeline and it will cause untold ripple effects that will change our present to something unrecognisable!”

At least that way they might be able to be shown that legislation isn’t a time machine and can’t affect the past.

Victorious Parasol

@moregeekthan

Some days it’s just not worth it to go out for silflay. 😉

Naglfar
Naglfar

@kupo
I’m sorry. I did not mean my comments as derogatory to any group. It was intended to rebut Sack’s (obviously derogatory) comments. I was unaware that the term was considered pejorative, as I had mostly heard it in medical contexts. I am sorry to anyone that I offended, and I won’t do that again.

Kätzenjammer
Kätzenjammer

I would never have been born if my grandfather hadn’t served in the British navy in WWII. This doesn’t mean I have to support future invasions of Poland.

Katamount

I said it yesterday and I’ll say it today: Iowa police, please obtain a warrant to search Steve King’s residence for missing women.

Moggie
Moggie

@Kätzenjammer:

Ditto, except father and Royal Artillery. Also, I wouldn’t have been born if my parents’ first son hadn’t died at a young age, but this doesn’t mean I have to oppose decent healthcare for kids.

kupo
kupo

@Naglfar
No problem. I know it’s widely used by medical professionals and that makes it so most people are unaware of the stigma or how it’s systematically used to refuse patients treatment, and that makes this a very uphill battle for fat activists. Thanks for being understanding. 🙂

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

Well, I was going to lament the fact that I missed the latest troll, but honestly this last one was so dull I’m kind of glad I was busy.

Disappointing troll is meh….

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner

@Gaebolga:

I know! The troll didn’t even come with any history to correct. I’m so disappointed.

Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Laissez-Fairy Pronoun Boner

I also have to wonder… would his tune change if he found if the pregnancy was from a black or Hispanic man raping a white woman. Because I think it would. And I’m guessing he would be in favor of forcibly aborting the embryo even if it wasn’t the result of a rape.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

@Things Come Undone : while other people already talked on the topic, I would like to insist on *how* spectaculary wrong and nonsensical is the expression : “the psychopath gene”

You see, almost all characters come from the combination of differents genes. There is at least nine genes involved in the color of your eyes. For more complex abilities, the number go up – there is thousands and thousands genes involved in cerebral development.

There is also a *LOT* of traits who aren’t entirely, or at all, genetical. Your height isn’t entirely genetical for example. It’s probable that the personality of someone is only very partially genetical, since the search for genes involved in specific behavior have been wildly unsuccessful.

The second problem that expression have is that it feed the myth that they are good and bad genes. That’s a seriously wrong and problematic belief, which have led to horrors both by americans and nazis. One of the two most common example are how having a darker skin is an advantage close to the equator, and a drawback closer to the pole ; the other classic example is a variation of a gene which if you have one of your two copy mutated you’re immune to a nasty parasite, and if you have two mutated copy you have a nasty genetic disease.

To tie with your example, it’s rather probable that there is several hundred or thousands genes who participate to empathy and ambition. If their variations are all tilted toward not having empathy, the bearer probably have a predisposition to be a psychopathe ; but if all are tilted on the other direction, the bearer probably have other problems.

The third problem is that talking too much of genes remove human agency. While the genetic make up of someone have probably a lot of influence on what he can do, it’s important to remember that at the end of the day, humans still make choices and aren’t piloted by their genes (or God, or anything else). Even if I lust way too much about someone, the reason for that is still that I am an asshole in some ways, and not that I have the horny-for-redhead gene.

The two last point is important to me, because in the end, they are the kind of discredited science used by nazis to make themselves look like realists. While 90% of the people who misuse genetic don’t mean harm with them, it’s important to remember what they allow.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Miri

Yes, precisely 😄

@Catalpa

That’s fantastic to know about the baboons. Thanks for sharing that article.

@kupo, Naglfar

Just backing up kupo with a real-world example: a friend of mine went in to see an endocrine for not having ever had a period and having massive weight gain since the time menses should have struck. She was told that because her thyroid came back normal, there was nothing more that could be done, no more teats, absolutely nothing doing, until… she lost weight. Because being obese was causing all her problems.

When she went in for that being a symptom, having been a rail-thin child all her previous life. No tests for PCOS, Cushings, any of the shit I’ve been tested for, just the failed thyroid test and then a diagnosis of “Welp, everything wrong with you is caused by obesity and your moral failing of eating like a hog”.

She is now afraid of going to the doctor and has tons of untreated medical problems. It took 3 months for me to persuade her to go to the doctor for black discharge from the breast.

Obesity shaming from doctor has real consequences.

Wandering Jewterus
Wandering Jewterus

I truly love the fact that David hasn’t blocked Sack yet.

Can you imagine being such a waste of human skin that even when you post obviously derogatory bait to incite a reaction, that reaction is a tepid “Meh. It’s more trouble to block this pathetic and pusillanimous purveyor of puerile poppycock than it is to come up with this alliteration.”?

The funny thing is, I just thought to myself “I sense the sounds of mockery! I should go check out WHTM to see the object of derision! I’ll bet it’s Sack again.”

Looks like I was right. Maybe it’s time to hit the casino.

Sack
Sack

It is significant that before I knew what Fatrelle looked like, I knew what Fatrelle looked like. After confirming via Google Images, I said: ah. Yes.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Sack
I still don’t know how David’s weight is significant in any way here. The only significant thing here is how your juvenile attempt at mockery demonstrates your lack of independent thought or creativity. Maybe you can try coming up with something intelligent or at least interesting for me to rebut.

Wandering Jewterus
Wandering Jewterus

lol 😂 they’re still trying SO HARD! Imagine being THIS thirsty! I’d be embarrassed for Sack if I wasn’t having such a lark laughing at them.

Keep stepping on those rakes, Sack!

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

When you’re a less entertaining troll than Richard in the other thread, you really need to reevaluate your life and your choices.

Sack
Sack

Nah. Because that’s the point: it’s such a simple and obvious statement. But it needs to be made again, and again, and again.

Steve King: famous, wealthy, fit politician.

David Futrelle: Obese (proof). Broke (proof). Shut in (proof).

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

@Sack : so basically you say nothing about thoses two people ? Because none of the thing you say have any importance.

Robert
Robert

I recently read “War Against the Weak”, an excellent social history of eugenics. One point made abundantly clear in the book – eugenics, as theorized and practiced, was based on wholly inadequate science. You can’t make ‘better people’ by limiting the right of ‘bad people’ to reproduce, or encouraging the ‘good people’ to do so. The Bene Gesserit, the Howard Families, and the Marching Morons are science fiction.

Regarding the OP, King is what looks back at you when you stare too long into the abyss.

AcidTrial
AcidTrial

With all due respect to you, Sack, Steve King is only famous for saying ridiculously asinine things. Sure, he’s a politician and might be one of some minor note, but he’s only “famous” for being the colossal jerkwad that is well documented here.

He may be wealthy, I’d be willing to give you that one.

As for fit, well, I Google image searched him, and he doesn’t look like any more of the picture of good health than any other politician – he’s basically just a semi-saggy, fairly shapeless, old, white guy in a suit. Nothing of him, I don’t know, jogging, wrestling a bear, or doing anything else to really say he’s “fit” per se. Please don’t take this to mean that there is anything wrong with being any of those things I named above – I’d like to be an old, white guy at some point in my life myself, too. However, I just don’t think that if your goal is to insult our benevolent host by contrasting him with Mr. King here, fitness is really the feature to highlight.

cornychips
cornychips

@sack

Ok, so what? Hitler was “fit”, a politician, famous, and wealthy.

Whats your fucking point, bro?

Are you suggesting that thin people’s ideas are inherently good, while larger people’s ideas are not?

Really, whats your fucking point?

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Sack

Why does you statement need to be made again and again and again, exactly? It’s totally irrelevant.

Steve King: famous, wealthy, fit politician.

I don’t think King is famous so much as infamous for being a fascist piece of shit. He doesn’t seem to have anything good about him.
I also don’t see any stats on his wealth, nor do I see anything about how fit he is. Not that that has any relevance to what he says being right or wrong.

David Futrelle: Obese (proof). Broke (proof). Shut in (proof).

Let’s go through these one by one, shall we?
1. Still irrelevant to anything here.
2. Do you not recall this? When he said that he was now back from the edge, and that he survived? To me, being able to bounce back from that is a sign of just how strong David and the community he has built are. Not to mention that after that fundraiser, he is no longer broke even if he was at one point close to broke.
3. Seriously? Your proof is a humorous tweet? There is no shame in staying in one’s apartment, and David has made it clear that he knows this by being able to joke about it.

Next time, maybe try, I don’t know, actually defending your beloved Steve? Or actually providing counter arguments to those that David or commenters propose?

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

wwth wrote:

Wait, we’ve got another troll? Which thread?

Please tell me he’s at least vaguely interesting….

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@moregeekthan, Victorious Parasol:
I suppose it says something about me that I loved the ‘Silflay Hraka, u embleer rah!’ line near the climax of Watership Down, in part because it was such a bonus for anybody who’d been paying attention to the linguistics, like I was even when I read it at about ten. (Just to date me, I had read the book before the film came out in theatres. And I’d also been reading Lord of the Rings around the same time.)

Regarding abortion, I know I’ve seen at least someone who countered the ‘what if your mom had aborted you’ line by pointing out that she might not have been born if her mom hadn’t aborted her older sibling that the family wasn’t ready to care for yet. Unfortunately, few people have the life experience to be able to pull off that rebuttal. (And of course it won’t work anyway.) Mostly it’s just laying even more bare the hypocrisy of the so-called ‘pro-life’ movement that rather manifestly doesn’t care about the health of anybody after they’re born.

Shadowplay

King’s net worth (as of last reporting period) is a quarter million dollars.

Again, you are easily impressed if you consider that particularly wealthy.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I mean, okay, but can anyone tell me if David is fat? I just really need to know if David is fat, and no one is volunteering this information. Please help me. My crops are dying.

cornychips
cornychips

@sack of shit

Just kidding, you don’t have to say shit to me. I already know what you are trying to do and what your motives are; I used to be a young shithead too. Its fucking HILARIOUS (aka pathetic), that *this* blog post and *this” comment thread are what you are ready to hitch your troll star to. Weak sauce.

Is this really the convo that you wanna put in your lil troll portfolio?

This is the thread you wanna get troll-cred for with your cyber buddies?

I get it, you wanna be banned for saying the “truth” so you can run back to your nest and tell your troll mentor; maybe *this* time, they will finally give you the acknowledgment and praise that you so crave. But they wont. Because you trolling really, reallllly, sucks.

DO BETTER! At least make us laugh more!!

Sack
Sack

DO BETTER! At least make us laugh more!!

I’m not interested in “doing better” or making you laugh. I’m just reminding you of a simple fact, one you would prefer to ignore: the men you mock are winners. Your leader, David Futrelle, is a loser. Presumably most of his fans are as well.

Obese. Broke. Shut in.

vs.

Fit. Wealthy. Connected.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@Viscaria
From the Mammoth FAQ:

Q) I heard some MRAs call you fat. Are you fat?

A) Yes, I am fat. This is one of the very few true things MRAs ever say about me. For some reason they like to mention this a lot, as if it’s somehow a rebuttal of what I write.

@Gaebolga
Richard is mainly active in the thread about reusable shopping bags, providing a fantastic demonstration of the kind of toxic masculinity and homophobia that the study discovered.

@Scrotum
So how exactly are the men we mock winners? Last I heard, Roosh and Paul were languishing in obscurity, while David was recently published in the NYTimes. Steve King is almost universally reviled. You are right that Steve is connected. Connected to Nazis. How do you feel about about that?

Snowberry
Snowberry

@Troll: No, U.

Leliel
Leliel

“I DON’T NEED TO DO BETTER I AM SIMPLY REMINDING YOU OF A VERY IMPORTANT FACT THAT MY TRIBE IS WAAAAY MORE MANLY AND I AM MUCH BETTER THAN ALL OF YOU FOR LIKING [person attacking tribe] IS! THIS WORKED IN JUNIOR HIIIIGH!”

Funny how that seems to be the only “fact” worth mentioning.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

@Naglfar

Thanks for the directions!

Richard Smith
Richard Smith

Sack, if “we” only followed losers, you’d be getting far more attention.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

@Leliel

His power level is over 9!!!

cornychips
cornychips

@the most desperate sad sack

the men you mock are winners.

BAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

You scoundrel! You were trying to make me laugh all along. It just took you awhile to get there. Keep em coming, champ! Er, I mean, WINNING CHAMPION.

Curious_Diversions
Curious_Diversions

@ Sack
*yawn* You are boring.

Re: “What if your mother had an abortion!?”
*teary eyes and shaky voice* “Then she’d still be alive.”

Not true, but it shuts them up.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Sack

Aww, are you sad the fat man has supporters and is making fun of your hero King? Are you sad he’s what you call a “leader”, that he has people to lead? Are you sad they supported him when he needed them to? Won’t give up on him? That he’s successful by dint of his own talent, but also because people like him enough to support him if he needs it, making him… what’s that word I’m looking for… oh yeah, a winner by all measures you’ve given?

You poor sad creature. You can’t make us hate him for being fat, or for having ever needed help (something I’m sure you, in your glory, have never needed), or for having joked about liking his cats more than people. You shouldn’t even try, you doubtless (?) have better things to do. I can’t tell if you’re old and bitter and full of hate, or young and silly and full of hate, but if it’s the latter hopefully one day you’ll look back on this type of comment you posted and go “oh thank God no one knew who I was.” If it’s the former, go in peace, and I hope the world has more kindness for you than you currently have for it.

Kevin
Kevin

@ Sad Sack

I’m pretty much a shut – in (we call it housebound here) most of the time myself as I’m a Parkie, but even I can beat King of the Nazis that you so admire on net worth. Quarter of a million dollars? My house is worth more than that. How do you like them apples? Still living in your parent’s basement are you?

Victorious Parasol

@ Jenora

I love that line a whole lot. I snarl (mentally) it as the occasion arises.

TacticalProgressive
TacticalProgressive

@Sack

So aside of petty insults, which btw are the lowest and most invalid form of argument in the human lexicon and arena of human ‘discourse’; do you have anything to address to the actual topic at hand, like the fact that Steve King is not only a white supremacist but is, apparently given his stance and arguments: pro-rape and pro-incest and that women should be forced to carry to term babies that are products of rape and incest and his stance this is somehow okay.

So are you gonna bother to address that? Because if you don’t it’s indicative of two possibilities:

1. That you aren’t going to address it because you know it’s indefensible and just want to throw around petty insults and distract from the actual subject for craven self interest and “point winning”.

or 2. You actually believe and endorse King’s stance that women should b forced to carry to term babies what are products of rape and incest.

So which is it Sack?

Richard Smith
Richard Smith

@Victorious Parasol, Jenora

I’ve always been partial to an oath from another of Adams’s novels, The Plague Dogs: Shit in the sky, give me patience!

Shadowplay

**stage whisper: It’s the second one.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate

Too bad his fan-trashtic quip about “punishing the ‘baby’ for the transgressions of the father *or mother*” wasn’t included here. ‘Cuz, you know, if a woman is raped, it’s a “transgression” on her part.

I’m sure this dude’s family tree is one ugly mofo, probably damaged from the root up.

Katherine the Adequate
Katherine the Adequate

Oops, Moggie, I missed your post! Thanks for pointing it out.