baby men brand new ugly gender policing homophobia masculinity

Are guys refusing to use reusable shopping bags because they think it makes them look gay? | Brand New Ugly

Science has now provided a preliminary answer to the most pressing question of our time, at least for men: “Does this reusable shopping bag cause you to question my sexuality?”

The answer,at least in a rough statistical sense, is yes — at least according to a new study by researchers at Penn State.

As a press release announcing the study explains:

In a series of studies, the researchers evaluated specific pro-environmental behaviors that previous research suggested were seen as either “feminine” or “masculine” and examined whether they affected how people were perceived.

They found that men and women were more likely to question a man’s sexual orientation if he engaged in “feminine” pro-environmental behaviors, such as using reusable shopping bags.

It works the other way, too:

They were also more likely to question a woman’s sexual orientation if she engaged in “masculine” pro-environmental behaviors, such as caulking windows.

Now, I’m no scientist, but if a woman likes caulk, wouldn’t that make her seem more straight? Evidently not to the men taking part in the survey, who were more likely to avoid women they saw engaging in more “manly” environmentalist activities.

Now, the study wasn’t able to determine whether or not men or women refrained from engaging in certain environmentalist behaviors because they thought it might make them look gay.

But we live in a world in which some guys refuse to wash or wipe their own asses because they think that it might make them gay, so I’m going to take a wild guess and say that, yes, there are more than a few dudes out there who refuse to use reusable shopping bags because they think it makes them look like a sissy.

–DF

H/T — Pacific Standard

Brand New Ugly highlights stories that are emblematic of the political and social ugliness of Trump’s America. Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
1 year ago

I love my reusable bag; it has an elephant on it.

Although I also now have a hemp one that I blagged from the new CBD shop. I put loose fruit and veg in it; I’m such a cliché.

Shadowplay
1 year ago

Got one of those nylon rucksacks that squishes down to about the size of a golf ball when not in use. That sits in my coat pocket for bits and bobs shopping.

Main shopping, there’s collapsible crates and a liberated Ubereats thermal bag kept in the car.

It’s really not difficult.

Crip Dyke
Crip Dyke
1 year ago

I’m glad you wrote the article, David, but I wonder about including it as in the category of “Brand New” uglies.

numerobis
numerobis
1 year ago

This doesn’t seem related to the environment at all. Shopping: feminine. Construction: masculine.

I mean, it’s a dumb society we live in, sure, just this is an odd expose of that stupidity.

1 year ago

I honestly just don’t like nonreusable plastic bags. Aside from the wastefulness, I find them kind of gross and they tear too easily. I much prefer the reusable ones.

BBBB
BBBB
1 year ago

Maybe some manufacturer could convince these guys to buy reusables by manufacturing a ‘tactical’ shopping bag with skull appliqués and metal gewgaws. Throw in accessories such as ‘bag nutz’ and Cletus will line up to buy one.

Crip Dyke
Crip Dyke

@numerobis:

Sure, those stereotypes aren’t “environment related”. The argument isn’t that the stereotypes were created by the environmental movement.

The argument is that the stereotypes that exist impeded taking simple and should-be-common steps necessary to address various important environmental problems and even the biggest environmental crisis of them all: climate change.

I think the authors are merely attempting to articulate that in addition to the many other effects of sexism, there is also a reduction in ability to address environmental problems that can be traced to an origin point squarely within sexism and sexist attitudes.

@BBBB
That would probably actually sell. Reminds me of those lists of products “for men” that were way over the top to appeal to that demographic.

Steven I Dutch
Steven I Dutch
1 year ago

Whatever the opposite kind of ugly is from “Brand New,” I have it to the extent that I can be very confident no gay is going to come on to me. Or straight, for that matter.

What man with an ounce of sense would object to his wife taking on “guy” chores like caulking? That would be like my wife complaining when I load the dishwasher.

numerobis
numerobis

My ex liked caulk.

This was not a factor in our breaking up.

Diego Duarte
Diego Duarte
1 year ago

Oh I definitely sense undertones involving toxic masculinity and sexual insecurity in regards to environmental affairs. These douchebags think “cleaning up” is a woman’s job after all. Why should they be bothered to preserve the environment? Caring is for women and gays.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
1 year ago

Men especially hate to hear that cutting back on meat is better for the environment. I just find it so ridiculous that eating meat is so associated with masculinity.

@WWTH
I’m a vegetarian, but I recall a male colleague flipping out about posters that suggested a “meatless Monday” every week. Even when I ate meat, it was very rare (<3 times per year) and it just shocks me that people can’t be bothered to not eat meat 1 day out of the week. How much meat do most people eat, anyway?

The meat = masculinity thing must come from hunting all those mammoths.
ME BIG STRONG MAN! ME HUNT MAMMOTH! ME EAT MEAT!
Though I thought the whole argument was about the women eating meat with their prehistoric bon bons, á la “we hunted the mammoth to feed you“. /s

epitome of incomprehensibility

I’d like a grocery bag with a rainbow flag on it! Mine has pictures of fruits and veggies and it makes me hungry.

Okay, I’m really tired, but that non-sequitur + dick joke combo gave me a case of the giggles.

But seriously –

who does this?? Why??? I mean, there are some behaviours coded gay, esp. for men, but I’ve never heard of this being one of them.

And of course queercoding is culturally determined. A couple of years ago I just assumed one of the tutors at work was gay because his teaching voice was high/dramatic. So when I heard he was getting married, I was surprised to hear it was to a woman! But he’s Persian and the “high/dramatic voice = gay” thing is more of a North American stereotype, it seems to me.

And perhaps bigots who don’t like non-neurotypical and queer people kind of conflate those things…In my junior high, a boy got picked on for acting “gay” (hyper, making hand gestures a lot). I can’t be sure if he had ADHD – maybe I just remember things that way because I have it, though diagnosed later – but it doesn’t matter. Anything seeming “abnormal” can be a cause for ridicule with some types. Yay toxic masculinity 🙁

Bina
1 year ago

I have about half a dozen reusable fabric bags that can be folded down into a pocket on themselves.

I can only imagine how emasculating THOSE must be.

(especially the cute-colored striped and star-print ones)

Lainy
Lainy
1 year ago

I remember this one time a fellow marine was making fun of fiancé because I’ve converted him to line drying clothes in the spring/summer since things will actually dry. Apparently saving the planet isn’t mainly when it involves close pins.

Nequam
Nequam
1 year ago

@BBBB: I think adding the MOLLE attachment webbing would suffice.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles
1 year ago

Prefering reusable bags because I got too many spare trash bags now.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@Naglfar

I wonder how they’d react if someone pointed out to them that during the Middle Ages they idolize (assuming they’re that sort of Manly Men), at least a third of the year were days you weren’t allowed to eat red meat, assuming you were even rich enough to get some.

occasional reader
occasional reader
1 year ago

Usage of reusable shopping bags are prompted here, because they are more resistant and large than the usual nylon ones, and also because you now have to pay the nylon ones every time. So, unless someone imagines it is a way to promote a “globohomo feminist agenda”, it is just an ecologic way to reduce useless consommation of plastic stuff.

Out of topic : i read this article this morning. It is in French, but the tweet are in english, so the majority of you can easily understand what it is about. It is a joyful reminder that racism has disappear in US thanks to Trump (/sarcasm).

Herbert West
Herbert West

@Naglfar
@Rabid Rabbit
When my grandparents were children, meat was something only eaten once per week (sundays, ususally), because it was expensive.
The situation wasn’t much different in many parts of the western world after WWII, the whole meat craze started only rather recently.
Now the mass cattle farming is actively damaging the environment, and we have reached the point where many see eating meat as a human right, unfortunatelly.
Now, I do love my weekly burger, but I wouldn’t mind too much if the patty was made of cricket instead of beef. I think eventually we won’t have much choice anyway.

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady
1 year ago

If I get groceries delivered they arrive in paper bags. Those then get repurposed to collect the paper recycling.

If I go shopping myself I go by bike and have baskets that hook to the luggage rack. No bags involved.

I think it would be fun if we could convince those dudes to store their shopping in the pockets of their cargo pants/shorts*.

*I almost exclusively wear cargo pants and shorts. There’s a lot of stuff I carry around with me, like meds, fidgets, books…
And yes, I occasionally put some groceries I bought on the way home in there, if they fit. Or carry them in my hand. It’s not far.

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Lainy

Whaaaat? That makes zero sense, drying things in the dryer with fabric softeners is indubitably the, well, softer thing to do. I mean just from a literal standpoint. Plus all the lifting heavy wet items and all that. If marine #2 wanted to be all macho about it. It’s pretty good exercise. Bet he hasn’t tried it.

Lainy
Lainy

@Big Titty Demon

You know what’s better then having softer clothes and towels? clean air to breath, safe water to drink. Animals not going extinct in alarming numbers.

But seriously I use that type of argument for just about everything. My fiancé tries to go out for a smoke and I’m like you know what better then a cigarettes ? not having lung, oral, or pancreatic cancer. Living to see your children grow up. Not killing birds and other small animals with cigarettes butts. Not killing me with second hand smoke. So far the arguments haven’t done much, but hey he plants trees and hangs up the towels on the line. I’ll take what I can get lol.

Battering Lamb
Battering Lamb
1 year ago

My reusable shopping bag is made from recycled garbage and has an Amnesty International logo on it (It’s also pretty dang sturdy). So I get to Virtue Signal the hell out of these jackasses while grocery shopping.

Snowberry
Snowberry
1 year ago

Off topic: Things I just learned from an internet rando: “incel” is not a real word, it’s just a vague slur meaning “bad man” and is often used to shame virgins. We should quit virgin-shaming and just let people be free to not have sex if they don’t want any. Also those supposed incels who went on killing sprees, they’re probably not really virgins, and if they were, they killed people because they were emotionally unstable, not because they were virgins. Also calling BS on those who claim to have been tracking incel boards for years, because if virginity boards existed then they’d be super boring.

Sadly this person did not seem to be trolling and even got a few defenders on their side.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
1 year ago

I’m happy to report that here in Northern California pretty much everyone of every demographic employs reusable bags.

Talonknife
Talonknife
1 year ago

“Let the planet melt down because recycling is gay” is actually probably exactly the death our species deserves, TBH.

Victorious Parasol
1 year ago

Another vote for reusable bags, especially the super-insulated kind that keep the cold stuff cold on the way home. Very useful in Texas summers.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it
1 year ago

Heh. I use a few sacks I got for free from Sephora. They’re nylon. One is pink, one is purple. They’re definitely coded feminine.

Malitia
Malitia
1 year ago

My main shopping bag is a collapsible solid black one I found thrown away.

Now that I think about it I actually acquired all my shopping bags that way. I’m not sure why some people do that with reusable things though, especially as some where brand new (admittedly those had the logo of a defunct grocery chain).

@Herbert West
Yeah, the meat craze seems like a recent thing. I’m guessing it’s a case of meat lobbyists convincing men that all the blood and stuff makes them manly. Really, I would think a man who doesn’t destroy the planet and is more conscientious would be the better man, but apparently the world at large doesn’t agree with me.

@Snowberry
Link? That sounds like something ideal for David to mock.

Not Edward
Not Edward
1 year ago

I don’t use a reusable shopping bag for the straightforward reason that I never remember to bring the ****ing thing and / or if I ever do buy one I keep losing them. I instead reuse the disposable plastic bags I had to buy last time I went shopping and forgot to bring a bag (there’s a compulsory 5p levy in the UK) and stuck in a drawer when I got home. My memory is killing the planet, it’s costing me a fortune and my house is full of plastic bags but at least I don’t look “gay” (/s).

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
1 year ago

As the proverbial annoying vegan ™ I feel morally bound to remind people that not only were gladiators vegetarians, so were the legionaries (arguably).

The most hardcore Imperial troops certainly frowned upon meat eating. They thought it was effete. Real men subsisted on raw radishes and stream water.

Julius Caesar used to show he was ‘one of the lads’ by munching on a radish during speeches.

(Although for a plausible argument that by the latter imperial period the army had moved from a vegetarian diet because of the influx of provincial troops, see here: https://www.jstor.org/stable/525803?origin=crossref&seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
1 year ago

35300 C.E. The acrid wasteland formerly known as Earth.

Archaeologist cockroach, holding aloft the remains of a plastic bag: “At last! Conclusive proof that as this species drove themselves to extinction, they didn’t look gay.”

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
1 year ago

Of course. Why fight to remove our chains, when we can simply compare their lengths? Why step outside the box, when the box has these bad-ass flame decals on it? We men are cigarettes: dangerous, and poisonous, and stupid.
— Guante

I have an older canvas shopping bag I use… it’s a bit weather-worn, has a frayed torn spot on one of the handles, and quite a few stains (in a previous life, it was white) To my admittedly inexperienced eye, it just sez “MAN”… all over it!! I didn’t even BUY it, I found it at the laundry facility where I live (I ain’t gonna spend any o’ MY hard-earned money on any gah dahm BAG!!)

Tucker Carlson goes on vacation as criticism mounts over false claim about white supremacy ‘hoax’

and, in my dreams, it’s:
(with apologies to The Beach Boys)

Wouldn’t it be nice if he were fired
Then we wouldn’t have to hear his voice
And wouldn’t it be nice if he joined all the
Other assholes let go from Fox Noise

You know it’s gonna make the news much cleaner
Not having Tucker’s shitty demeanor

Wouldn’t it be nice to hear reported
Tucker Carlson’s been given the boot
‘n Listen to him cry ’bout bein’ run off
Yeah, t’ me that’d bee just a hoot

And in that blissful moment we would all know
It’s “one nore down, ten more million to go”

Oh, wouldn’t it be nice?
Good bye, to Tucker
Rot ‘n Hell, you fucker
Good bye, to Tucker
Rot ‘n Hell, you fucker

numerobis
numerobis
1 year ago

Victorious Parasol: oooh, those would have been useful when I was in Iqaluit. Turns out a 15-minute walk home on a warm spring day (a balmy -15 C) wilts your chard pretty hard.

Not Edward: the key is to not rely on memory but on habit. If you can form the habit of always having grocery bags in your purse / saddle-bag / backpack, then you don’t need to remember to bring them. Forming the habit takes some effort of course.

Lainy: while your mondegren is quite sensical and could become canon should we make a concerted effort, those are normally known as clothes pins — pins for clothes, rather than pins for closing.

True fact from my past: I was labeled gay due to reusable shopping bags once! My roommate was courting a woman, and she him, but they hadn’t quite declared this to each other yet. The three of us went shopping, and halfway from the car to the grocery my roommate and I discovered neither of us had taken the canvas bags out of the trunk; without exchanging many words I ran back to get them. From that interaction she assumed we must be lovers. (They worked it out eventually.)

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ Alan Robertshaw:

COMMENTS POLICY!!!!!!! (he said, sarcastically)

STOP with the “evidence”! We’ve talked about that repeatedly… we do NOT use “evidence” to substantiate our arguments. Simple argumentative reasoning such as “everybody knows”, “nuh-uh” and, in cases of VERY heated diatribe, “they say”…

thanx.

🙂 🙂 🙂

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
1 year ago

I guess buying a single-use grocery bag is a good way to message, “I usually delegate grocery shopping to my wife”.

In a totally contrary position, I carry a black canvas shopping bag practically everywhere. I feel it’s cheaper and more practical than a purse/whatever similar product is marketed for men, and marginally more professional looking than a plastic shopping bag.

My pants have decent pockets, but seemingly never large enough for all the stuff I want to lug along, aside from actual groceries.

Kevin
Kevin
1 year ago

I guess I was lucky to grow up in one of the more affluent parts of one of the more affluent western countries. I was brought up a daily meat eater from the time I was weaned in the 1960’s.

I’ve no idea where my mother got the idea that vegetarianism was inherently more expensive than a diet which included meat though.

I find a reusable cloth shopping bag which came with a shoe purchase really handy, it folds into a convenient pocket size, don’t really care what it might make anyone think of my orientation, but ,hey, I live in Brighton.

@Kevin

Usually vegetarianism is cheaper. Meat is expensive, at least where I live.

Shopper Guy
Shopper Guy
1 year ago

I shop at Aldis mostly so using canvas bags is a matter of practicality. Or, on occasion, well packed cardboard boxes when I’ve forgotten them.

Here’s a list of the stupid reasons I’ve had my masculinity questioned:

–using a shopping basket
–using a shopping cart
–asking a woman for help fixing a printer
–wearing a jacket when it was raining
–wearing a coat when it was cold
–using an umbrella
–wearing long sleeves
–liking movies with actual stories/plot

There’s more I’m sure, but I’m blanking at the moment.

Kevin
Kevin

@ Naglfar

A meat free diet is cheaper here too. My now late mum did give credence to some other odd ideas too, such as viewing a hot cup of tea on a hot day as being more refreshing than cold water or a soda pop, and covering mirrors with a cloth during thunderstorms.

numerobis
numerobis
1 year ago

Soda water is full of electrolytes so you can’t take in as much of the water; if you’re thirsty, tea or cold water will be better.

(Of course, if it’s very hot and you’re sweating a lot, eventually you need electrolytes.)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
1 year ago

Plant based diets certainly can be cheaper. In the UK, vegans spend on average £645 less on food per year than meat/dairy eaters.

It may be similar in the US -(http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/10/12/vegetarian-diet-savings)

But it’s not necessarily that simple. Whether plant based diets, in the west at least, are a privileged thing, is a bit of a topic in vegan circles.

For most people they aren’t; but there’s the old adage of “it’s expensive being poor”.

When you get into issues like food deserts, access to cooking facilities, lack of resources to buy in bulk and store food, available time etc, it all gets a bit complex; and that’s before you get into governmental policy around food industry subsidies.

The UN though, through the auspices of the IPCC, have made it pretty clear that a global shift to plant based diet is the only way to save the planet. So let’s hope things keep moving in the right direction.

@Kevin

Well, drinking cold things actually does raise your body temperature, so there’s that. I knew someone who lived in a very hot place and ate hot soup every day for lunch.
Not sure what the mirrors being covered in thunderstorms accomplished. I’ve never done that.

TheKND
TheKND

@Naglfar

RooshV said it best: “The Alpha Male lives in his own reality!”

It sums up the whole manosphere…

Kevin
Kevin

@ Naglfar

I wouldn’t claim my intellect is exactly quicksilver fast these days, but I can see through a brick wall in time, as they say in Bree.

After a lifetime baffled by the cloth/mirrors practice, which was accompanied by closing the curtains at such times, I’m embarrassed it’s taken me until now to formulate a hypothesis that might be the view through that particular wall.

During the Troubles in Northern Ireland, there were pubs and restaurants that adopted the practice of putting sturdy net curtains in the windows, often weighted at the bottom, intended to contain glass fragments should there be an explosion.

This raises the thought that, although curtains clearly aren’t going to stop a lightning bolt, in the event of concussion from a near miss breaking windows/mirrors, the curtains or covering cloth might ameliorate the spread of broken glass.