Uncategorized

Stop conflict at work by making women wear an LED to warn everyone when they’re on their period, Reddit dork proposes

Careful, fellas, she’s raggin it today!

By David Futrelle

Attention vagina people! Turns out your regular vagina processes are disrupting the efficiency and well-being of everyone you work with, in that every time Aunt Shark Week stops by for a visit you get all crabby and start fights with everyone else.

That is, in any case, the worry of one Reddit dude — who has, happily for us, provided a solution to this problem: Have working women (sorry, “females”) wear some sort of LED device to warn everyone else they’re on the rag! Or maybe, like, a red necklace?

Females with sensitive menstruation should share their monthly calendar with colleagues self.unpopularopinion

submitted just now by foadsf

I know I will be toasted for this idea but I have to share it.

I know some females have more sensitive menstruation and their personality and anger threshold is prone to their hormones. That's absolutely fine. that's part of females nature and as a male human being I am all respectful for that. But at the same time we could be victims of fights we have no idea about.

Females could share their monthly calendar with other colleagues in one way or another and they could just avoid any arguments in certain times. If they are not comfortable saying in words, there could be some sort of wearable LED to sync its color with specific times. or they could have some sort of dress code, like red necklaces or bracelets or something.

I'm sorry that I'm sharing this idea and know females won't like it but it could be really helpful for everyone.

Foadsf, well aware that his idea probably wouldn’t go over too well with anyone, not just the “females,” posted it in the Unpopular Opinion subreddit, where it proved so unpopular with the subreddit’s mods that it was quickly deleted. (I found a screenshot in the NotHowGirlsWork subreddit and tracked down the original.)

I’m thinking of getting a t-shirt made to express my solidarity. I mean, as a cis dude I don’t get periods, but there are certainly days when I’m in a terrible mood. A t-shirt with some helpful slogan like “I’ve got a case of the grumpies,” or “Havin’ a cranky one!” could do wonders for office morale here at the Mammoth Institute, or at least it could if my co-workers weren’t just a couple of cats who cannot, as far as I can tell, read.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ Katamount;

“Yeah, that’s where things are going.”

… ahhhh, shit, there for a second I’d forgotten we were going that direction…. (and in that one second, we lost THREE MORE “unalienable rights”)

When the movie came out, I took my (then) partner and my brother’s widow to see it… I’d recently re-read the book, and I told them this was “Heinlein at his best”, and probably a lot of other undeserved hyperbole… during the movie, I sunk further and further into my seat, as my companions looked at me like I had the critical faculties of an axe-murderer….

re” The Eight I’d Really Rather You Didn’ts:

Better safe than sorry
Better safe than sorry

This is old stuff.
There have been plenty of apps around to “track” women’s cycles.
For men the best thing is to stick to your own business.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
1 year ago

For men the best thing is to stick to your own business.

Oh, now, STOP that… we do that, we won’t have any more bigotry… THEN where will we be….

Button
Button

@Otrame

I can’t help wondering. In your mind, should people not read anything written in the past? Who would you recommend we read from the 40s-70s, or, honestly, at any time in the past, who wasn’t sexist. Name one.

Some male fiction writers from the past that you can read without them being sexist as balls include Henrik Ibsen, Lewis Carroll and L. Frank Baum.

And then of course there are a shitload of women who wrote without sexism, often specifically about the ways that women got shat on by the sexism of their time.

Gtfoh with that “all fiction written before 1980 is sexist so it’s ok” attitude. Even if that were true, it wouldn’t put the work beyond criticism, because reading shit from a sexist PoV can be exhausting.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
1 year ago

warning: expect misogynists to get their tit in a wringer over THIS… (please pardon my gratuitous sexism in the metaphor — it is intended sarcastically)

Jen
Jen
1 year ago

Lord. Okay then, I expect men to wear LED signals every single that indicate their levels of testosterone. I also expect people experiencing hangover, constipation, anemia, or even just a bad mood to wear the appropriate signal.

On a more beautiful note, I remember reading that courtesans in Paris in the Belle Époque did in fact carry and wear red camellias at public events to signal to clients that they were having their menses and were not available for the evening. (Carrying red camellias at any time then became inappropriate for “respectable women.)

kupo
kupo

@weird Eddie
They’ve been getting all twisted out of shape over stuff like that since…gosh, the 80s? I remember we changed a bunch of documentation to say things like “firefighter” or “law enforcement officer” and they pitched a fit.

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow
1 year ago

La Dame aux Camélias by Alexandre Dumas has the red camellia thing. I haven’t yet found a reliable source that attests this was done outside of fiction.

Regarding Heinlein: Never read the guy’s work, but what I take from that quote is that men have no business complaining about women’s behavior when it deviates from what men think is appropriate for women. It’s like how female candidates can’t be “too” feminine lest they be seen as weak and soft, but yet are derided and denigrated as man-imitating, unfeminine, castrating harpies if they’re “too” assertive, aggressive, and confident. Whatever women do, it’s the wrong thing.

Jen
Jen
1 year ago

Re: Red camellias; Diana Vreeland’s grandmother warned her against carrying red camellias at her débutant ball for this reason, but of course, being Diana Vreeland, she carried them anyway. 😜

Robert
Robert
1 year ago

I was very slow on recognizing subtext in the fiction I read when younger. I missed Poe’s use of unreliable narrators and Lovecraft’s racism, for example.

But reading “Time Enough for Love” by Heinlein, even I noticed how often beautiful, sexually available red-headed women show up in his fiction. Especially if they’re making babies with the protagonist.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara
1 year ago

There’s some evidence for hormonal cycles in cis men too. Testosterone levels definitely fluctuate over the course of a day, but studies trying to determine if there are cycles with longer periods have run into reproducibility problems. But maybe cis men should wear these magic LEDs too, just to be safe? Sauce for the gander, etc. 😉

Shadowplay

@AsAboveSoBelow

Regarding Heinlein: Never read the guy’s work …

He writes a decent stick and is worth the read, in my opinion.

Stranger in a Strange Land is considered his magnum opus, though I’d not put it in his top 20. Starship Troopers is worth the read just so you can slap the damned fools who’ve only seen the movie. My personal favorite of his is Friday.

Just avoid “I Will Fear No Evil.” (Not for any broader reason, I just really, really, really hate that book. 😛 )

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
1 year ago

I’ve only seen the film, and haven’t read the book. Does that make me a fool?

Perhaps we can accept that media doesn’t have a god given hierarchy, where books are better than movies are better than tv shows, hmmm?

It seems to me that griping about how the book is always better positions people who have the time, the inclination, and the ability to read as the arbitors of how to value entertainment.

But what do I know? I’m a fool who has only seen the film.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
1 year ago

*arbiter. One day spellcheck will work on this browser!

kupo
kupo
1 year ago

If anyone were to ask me, “hey, kupo, should I read the starship troopers book?” My response would be “if you’re expecting any of the positive aspects of the film to be represented in the book, then I wouldn’t recommend that. If you’re just looking looking for a book about space war tech, sure, go for it.”

Also, not everyone enjoys reading. Not everyone has the time or energy to read. Not everyone has access to books or reading devices. Books and reading devices don’t always make their content accessible to people with low vision, dyslexia, or the myriad other traits that can get in the way of reading.

Edit: and watch the comments policy.

Kestrel
Kestrel
1 year ago

Prith kDar – I am not a huge fan of spiders but that may be the cutest spider video I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing it!

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
1 year ago

OT, but have you heard about the latest one of the Fulvous Fuhrer’s Nuremberg rallies?

I doubt it will be long before the Stochastic-Terrorist-in-Chief inspires another one like the MAGAbomber.

Add that the concentration camps are already up and running and it is looking very scary for America right now …

On the other hand, even corporate-owned mainstream media are starting to use words like “fascist” and “concentration camps” to refer to him, his rallies, and his “detention centers”:

Maybe the most disturbing thing here is that most alternate-history fiction where the Nazis won had it happen by their beating America to the bomb. Even the Star Trek episode “City at the Edge of Forever” went that route to explain why delaying the US’s entry into the war prevented the Federation from existing.

What happens if Nazis come to power again and this time they already have the bomb?

Talonknife
Talonknife
1 year ago

I tend to get hangry, especially if someone has delayed my meal by being stupid and making a mess for me to clean up. What color is code for that?

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow
1 year ago

@Jen: Thanks for that. Seems that Diana Vreeland liked red. A LOT. comment image

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Better safe than sorry

This is old stuff.
There have been plenty of apps around to “track” women’s cycles.
For men the best thing is to stick to your own business.

For you? Definitely. For the love of the Great Goddess, you and your kind have promised us for a long time that you would say goodbye forever. But you don’t. You hang around and you hang around and you hang around just to harass us. Go go go go go go go.

numerobis
numerobis
1 year ago

David: your cats’ illiteracy is what they want you to believe.

My cat took a second to stare at my phone when I scrolled over that image.

She knows.

And doesn’t give a shit, because she’s a cat.

epitome of incomprehensibility

The only thing I’ve read by Heinlein is Farnham’s Freehold, which has a side plot where a middle-aged man and his son’s girlfriend end up together. It was the social Darwinist aspect as well as the misogyny that made me go “hmm”: see, the older guy is resourceful and tough so he gets the sensible (and hot) younger woman; the son doesn’t because he’s weak.

I dunno if it’s all that serious, or that major a work: the main plot is about nuclear war transporting people into a parallel world (which totally is what would happen).

It had the best cheesy/trippy cover art, though! I don’t know if you can see it well in the picture, but there’s this irregularly patterned geometric floor that makes me smile: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/537054324291991271/

epitome of incomprehensibility

On the post topic, sort of – I keep track of my own MENSTRUAL CYCLE in my print calendar by drawing a little square (not, alas, a period) on the day it starts.

I don’t have serious issues with periods and I’m not trying to get pregnant – it’s just so I can predict when the next one will start.

In my paper calendar, I also write down how many hours I sleep each night, rounded to the nearest half hour. Google Calendar gets my other schedule stuff, but I’m wary of letting Google have my sensitive biological data…or would it be more character-revealing that I actually write down how many hours I sleep? 😛

But data is fun!! and then I get to see what makes me sleep better and how long I sleep if I’m not stressed out (7 hours per night, but my average night’s sleep is closer to 6.5).

…Speaking of which, it’s almost 1 AM here. I should actually sleep and not just talk about it 🙂

Catalpa
Catalpa
1 year ago

Some employers are already gathering data from period-tracking apps (likely in order to discriminate against women who might or intend to conceive…)

Prith kDar
Prith kDar

OT @ BTD and Kestrel:

I’m glad you enjoyed it. I was worried about arachnophobes being troubled because I didn’t warn them, but I didn’t know it would embed instead of just link.

Peacockspiderman has many other videos of various species doing their awesome dances, including a compilation of 51 species set to Stayin’ Alive. Also recommended is A Peacock Spider Christmas which has Christmasy things edited in to hilarious effect. 😀

Most amazing is that these spiders are reeeeally tiny, like pea-sized. So extra props for the macrophotography!

(Sorry, I’m done now, no more spiders)

Wetherby
Wetherby
1 year ago

I’ve watched a couple analyses of the film Starship Troopers and I think the most cogent one was the idea that Paul Verhoeven made the movie as if it was an artifact of a right-wing fascist future and presented it the world, as if saying “This is the kind of movie that a fascist society would make.” A vapid teen love triangle with three perfect-looking white people. Unflinching praise of the state. No actual conclusion of the conflict being portrayed. Even in the infamous shower scene, the naked young people don’t even get horny for a second, they just talk about how awesome citizenship is. In 1997, before 9/11 ramped up the militarism, nobody knew what to make of it, but now everyone’s like “Yeah, that’s where things are going.”

That is absolutely what he intended, and he’s confirmed this many times in interviews.

It’s always baffled me that so many people initially miss what to me is very very obvious satire in Verhoeven’s films (let’s face it, he’s hardly subtle), and since he grew up in Nazi-occupied Holland he’s experienced first-hand what it’s like living in a Fascist society and with all the trappings of that (relentless propaganda, etc.).

It’s also worth noting that the film always had a much more positive critical reception in Europe, where I suspect we were more instinctively in tune with the more explicitly anti-American elements – we didn’t need the shock of 9/11 and its aftermath to retrospectively explain where Verhoeven was coming from as we were already more than used to the idea of the US steaming in, blowing things up and leaving the newly-broken countries that they’d invaded to pick up the pieces.

Lizzie
Lizzie
1 year ago

On a happy Heinlein note: I first read about waterbeds in a Heinlein novel, I think it was Stranger in a Strange Land, and I bought one the day I left home, and am still sleeping on it more than forty years later. Well the frame is the same, I have had three different mattresses in it. (Bit like the 500 year old broom that has had three new sticks and four new broom heads, but still…)

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Speaking of racism,

David, you’ve probably seen this, since I assume you follow Talia Lavin’s Twitter, but just in case

Stephen Molyneux no longer thinks anti-Semitism is bad because Jewish people are not fighting anti-white racism.

Yikes.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Lizzie

On a happy Heinlein note: I first read about waterbeds in a Heinlein novel,

Heinlein is popularly credited with inventing the modern waterbed, or at least designing it; he never built one, but the specifications he wrote up are pretty much the ones that were made a few years after he described it.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I meant fascism in my earlier comment, but racism works too.

bluecat
bluecat
1 year ago

Among enslaved women at certain courts, the women’s ankles were tattooed with dates of their periods, when their owner had raped them, birthdates of their children, etc.

Pie
Pie

@bluecat

Gor wasn’t a documentary series.

bluecat
bluecat
1 year ago

No idea what Gor is, @Pie. Is it something to do with the televisual device? I don’t have one.

But history: I read a lot of it.

Ariblester
Ariblester

bluecat wrote on
July 22, 2019 at 7:00 am:

Pie wrote on
July 20, 2019 at 3:27 pm:

@bluecat

Gor wasn’t a documentary series.

But history: I read a lot of it.

I’ve never read them, but apparently Gor is a series of fantasy novels taking place on a world where men are Men and (most) women are slaves (and happy to be enslaved, as is the Natural Way). I am given to understand that it is widely regarded as terrible thinly-veiled smut. Female slaves are usually branded, though not quite in the way you describe.

Flyboy
Flyboy
10 months ago

David, you are dangerously wrong. Your cats can read; they just pretend they can’t so they can use their reading ability against you at the most convenient time.