4chan 8chan alt-lite alt-right chad thundercock empathy deficit entitled babies evil sex-rejecting ladies incels irony alert literal nazis memes men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny racism twitter

Why it’s a good thing that the Air Force gave a briefing on the dangers of incel terrorism

Not a real picture of the briefing

By David Futrelle

Hearing the news that Air Force personnel at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland were recently given a briefing on the threat posed by the incel movement — complete with slides featuring incel obsessions Becky and Stacy — some reacted with predictable jokes.

“You never know when the Air Force will need to bomb the Incel State,” author and ex-Daily Caller journalist Scott Greer joked on Twitter.

“These guys fly planes?” asked another Twitterer. “I’m concerned. You should only let smart people do that.”

So far, details on the briefing are a little scanty. According to Task & Purpose, a site reporting on military and veterans’ issues,

At least one Air Force base is on the lookout for a sinister new threat: angry men who can’t get laid.

Personnel at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland were recently treated to a threat brief regarding an “increase in nationwide activity” by self-described “incels,” members of an online subculture of “involuntary celibacy” who adopt an ideology of misogyny, mistrust of women, and violence in response to their failed attempts at romantic relationships.

The brief was first made public via a screenshot posted to the popular Air Force amn/nco/snco Facebook page on Tuesday. An Air Force spokesman confirmed the authenticity of the screenshot to Task & Purpose.

The screenshot in question showed a slide from the presentation featuring an interent-famous incel meme starring supposed female archetypes Becky and Stacey.

Obviously, the Air Force isn’t contemplating any air strikes on incel hideouts in the mountains of Afghanistan, or anywhere else.

The briefing seems to have been intended to warn about the possible dangers of incel rampages by Air Force personnel themselves, many of whom obviously have access to considerable firepower and the training necessary to know how to use these weapons in the deadliest manner.

“The intent of the brief was to educate the Joint Base Andrews commanders on the behaviors and activities attributed to the group to safeguard our Airmen/installation,” an Air Force spokesperson told Task & Purpose.

It’s a good thing that the Air Force is taking incels seriously. We can’t dismiss the real threat of incels because of the absurdity of their beliefs. Terrorists and mass killers are often motivated by beliefs that the rest of us would consider ridiculous.

Son of Sam believed his neighbor’s dog was telling him to kill. Charles Manson ordered the killings at the Tate and LaBianca homes in hope of setting off a race war that would ultimately put him in charge of the world — basing his peculiar eschatology in part on secret messages he thought were hidden in Beatles lyrics. Compared to these two — and to many other mass killers — incels seem almost rational.

As for the memes? They’re a central part both of incel and alt-right culture; they radicalize angry young men in the same way that YouTube videos and books like the neo-Nazi bible The Turner Diaries do. These days, mass killers don’t just pen manifestos; they also leave a trail of memes. The Christchurch killer included references to memes in his manifesto; the Toronto van killer, an incel, left behind a short statement on social media referencing several popular incel memes.

“Indeed,” Task & Purpose notes,

the screenshot [of the Air Force briefing] appeared the day after Brian Isaac Clyde, a former Army infantryman who frequently posted memes that referenced the incel movement alongside anti-government conspiracies to his Facebook page, was shot by federal officers after he opened fire outside a Dallas, Texas federal building.

It’s not clear if Clyde considered himself an incel; his social media was overstuffed with all sorts of memes popular amongst alt-rightists and manospherans and right-wing conspiracy theorists generally.

We learned a long time ago that 4chan’s racist and anti-Semitic memes weren’t just “ironic.” Nor are threats of violence any less serious if they take the form of a meme. Incels make a lot of memes. They’ve also killed a lot of people. Everyone needs to take them seriously.

Dalillama
Dalillama
1 year ago

Son of Sam believed his neighbor’s dog was telling him to kill.

He later admitted he’d made that up in hopes of copping an insanity plea and getting an easier sentence. He was just a murderous piece of shit.

Katamount
Katamount
1 year ago

…does this mean we’re going to start getting Chad Marine and Incel Air Force memes…?

Lainy
Lainy
1 year ago

I mean they teach this to the United state marine corps as well. That and about slave trafficking. Both amazed my fiance when he learned about it at 18.

Talonknife
Talonknife
1 year ago

Really? We covered him in my serial killers course in the fall semester and that never came up. Is there somewhere I can learn more about that?

Dalillama
Dalillama
1 year ago

This is apparently the interview where he said so, I can’t be bothered making an account atm.

Dalillama
Dalillama
1 year ago

This should be the interview where he talks about it. I seem to’ve tripped a filter, or maybe just the usual gremlins:

Kevin
Kevin
1 year ago

Well at least some of the powers – that – be are taking the threat seriously. And even the thought of a murderous incel getting hold of a civilian light aircraft is alarming. From my own experience being near a light aircraft accident caused by inept piloting was bad enough.

Castrating Harpy
Castrating Harpy
1 year ago

@Dalilama – If I learned anything from Jon Ronson’s The Psychopath Test, it’s that the kind of people who feign insanity to get away with murder are not entirely sane themselves.

kupo
kupo

@Talonknife, Dali

Murderpedia had the following to say about it:

In 1979, Robert Ressler, the FBI veteran, interviewed Berkowitz in Attica Prison three times. Berkowitz had been allowed to keep a scrapbook he had compiled of all the newspaper stories about the murders. He used these scrapbooks to keep his fantasies alive.

Ressler made it clear that he didn’t buy the demon dog theory one bit and eventually he was able to get the truth out of Berkowitz. The demon story was to protect him when and if he was caught so that he could try to convince the authorities he was insane. He admitted to Ressler “that his real reason for shooting women was out of resentment toward his own mother, and because of his inability to establish good relationships with women.” He would become sexually aroused in the stalking and shooting of women and would masturbate after it was over.

He also admitted to Ressler that stalking women had become a nightly adventure for him. If he didn’t find a victim, he would go back to the scenes of his earlier murders and try to recall them. “It was an erotic experience for him to see the remains of bloodstains on the ground, a police chalkmark or two: seated in his car, he would often contemplate these grisly mementos and masturbate.” So murderers do return to the scene of the crime, not out of guilt, but because they want to revive the memories of their crimes for sexual pleasure.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 year ago

Depend on what you call sane or insane. The usual problem arise that it’s the same term applied to any mental imbalance, and almost all people with mental troubles are actually inoffensive.

For murderers like that, what interest me is more if they intended to kill people. Quite often, the “sanity” of someone have little if anything to do with his crimes.

kupo
kupo
1 year ago

This is approximately the exact opposite of Catch-22’s take on the matter.

But seriously, the dude enjoyed killing women. It wasn’t because he didn’t understand what he was doing. He didn’t think a dog was demonic and compelling him to kill. He didn’t misunderstand the reality of the situation he was in and kill those women as a result of a misunderstanding. He was just a really terrible person and he did what he wanted and didn’t care who he hurt.

Turan, Emissary of the Fly World
Turan, Emissary of the Fly World
1 year ago

Straying a bit from the topic, though inspired by the image in the post: I am always confused–nay, flabbergasted–by the MGOTW/Incel outrage over women dyeing their hair. Their justification, so far as I have been able to understand it, is that women who do this are lying, they are hiding their true selves. Now, there might be at least a faint hint of logic in this if their anger was directed at, say, women who bleached their hair because blondes are perceived as sexier, or who colored gray hair to make themselves appear younger. They would still be jerks, but at least one could sort of see a point.

But, no. Their focus is entirely, as the graphic reminds us, on pink, blue, and green hair–all colors that do not occur naturally in human hair. No woman who has dyed her hair one of these colors has ever done so with the expectation of fooling someone into thinking it is her natural color. She does it for fun, to make a statement, simply because she likes the look, but not for deceit.

Am I wrong to assume that the real objection is that the women who do this do so for their own benefit, not to please men? I suspect that the complainers actually don’t mind women who dye for the reasons I gave in the first paragraph, because that may be done to make them more attractive in men’s eyes.

Scanisaurus
Scanisaurus
1 year ago

I’m glad at least someone in authority is finally taking it seriously.
I find it equal parts saddening and alarming that none of the proffesional psychologists I’ve seen had ever as much as heard of incels as a concept or the whole gamer-gate movement, and it feels like everyone not already dedicated to online feminist forums just chalks it up to pointless and harmless internet fads for teens on par with fidget spinners or the Willy Wonka meme, even after incels are literally killing people on the news.

kupo
kupo
1 year ago

You are spot on. And my mostly-blue head doesn’t care how they feel about it.

Victorious Parasol

@ Turan

A couple years ago, I went blue to celebrate the 1-year anniversary of not dying. Mr. Parasol thought it looked great, and he approved of me not dying in the ICU the year before. I thought it looked great, but I didn’t feel the need to keep it up. Perhaps I’ll dye it again in a few years for our 25th anniversary. Or just for the heck of it. Or maybe I’ll just get a streak done in a fancy color.

Yutolia the Green Hash Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Green Hash Pronoun Boner

@kupo, turan:

I was at my friend’s house when her boyfriend came over. She was really excited to show him her new dye job. After she showed him, she left the room to go do something and when she was gone he said to me, “why do you women think men want you dye your hair? Don’t you know we don’t like it?” I responded that there are a lot of reasons that women dye their hair and most of them don’t have anything to do with men.

He refused to believe that, even though I was with her when she did it and I know it had nothing to do with him at all. He couldn’t get his head around the idea that women do things and exist separately from men’s desires.

Yutolia the Green Hash Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Green Hash Pronoun Boner
1 year ago

This was about 20 years ago now, wow, time flies!

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

It would also be helpful if the Air Force did something about the pressure its members are subjected to to become an Evangelical Christian and the bullying of openly non-Christian people. Because white supremacy and male supremacy are very much tied into Evangelical Christianity.

kupo
kupo

@Yutolia
It’s so weird when guys think we do this shit for them. No, honey, you’re not worth hours of processing time. I do it for me. Because, I mean, come on.

comment image

Why wouldn’t I want this hair?

Bina

@Yutolia:

Women do everything they do at men or for their benefit, didn’t you know? [/sarcasm]

No joke, though, I got that as a 13-year-old from some guy in Grade 8 who I (now) guess had a crush on me, but hated my makeup. Needless to say, I lost all interest in him the moment those words dropped from his lips. (Yup, that’s right, fellas, our crushes on you die based on your idiotic utterances to and about us. Let that marinate for a bit.)

If only they knew how many things we did to please only ourselves, and not someone else (especially them), they really would die mad.

Lainy
Lainy
1 year ago

I use to dye my hair purple because children would come up to me and ask me if I was a fairy. I don’t do it now because I’m growing it out to donate it and I don’t think they accepted dyed hair.

Pagan Reader - Misandrist Spinster
Pagan Reader - Misandrist Spinster

@kupo
Such beautiful hair! I love the colors

Steph Tohill
Steph Tohill
1 year ago

It’s a funny one as when this topic has come up with men I know they seem more confused, like genuinely confused that a woman may choose to do something without consideration of how men think about it. It’s not like they object per se, it’s that they genuinely believe everything women do is for men, so they feel women just aren’t getting the message that men don’t like it or somebody (typically “feminists”) are manipulating women.

Ditto short hair and tattoos. It’s like there are men who are genuinely incapable of understanding that a woman may choose to do something without considering how men feel about it!

kupo
kupo

@Pagan Reader
Thank you!

Genjones
Genjones
1 year ago

In other good news, the Plain View project documenting violent and extremist rhetoric on law enforcement forums has resulted in a lot of these officers being pulled from duty

Steph
Steph
1 year ago

Sorry for the poor quoting – sheesh!

Yutolia the Green Hash Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Green Hash Pronoun Boner
1 year ago

@kupo: wow, your hair is gorgeous!

I used to dye my hair (I haven’t done it for awhile because my hair got a bad chemical burn and was really brittle for awhile. But my hair has long since healed, and I’m thinking of going bright blue. Either that or bright green. And no, not because of any man!

@Bina: I’ve had conversations with men who were absolutely flabbergasted when I tried to explain to them that women don’t do everything for men. I didn’t hang out with any of these men for long.

tim gueguen
1 year ago

Dispatches From the Culture Wars has a new pest who might come from MRA/MGTOWland. They’re calling themselves MannSplainer.

anon
anon
1 year ago

Ive had lots of convos w trans & queer folks about how reclaiming our hair is liberating. That first hair cut or growing it out or w/e helps w dysphoria, sends signals to the community, and defies the dang hair police.
I feel like @Turan just told me the answer to a riddle I struggled with for years, tho.

I would add that I think less RWers dye their hair, it’s the whole old fashioned mentality.
Which is why I lol about it bc makes them sound more square than my Old School Republican Dad

Lainy
Lainy

@Kupo

You have hair like a magical mermaid would have. It’s beautiful.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants
1 year ago

“Lushes natural blonde hair”

*eye twitch*

@kupo – What beautiful colors! Your hair is a work of art.

dashapants
dashapants

@kupo

Holy hell and all its furies, that is glorious, I have to go, I have to go now, must get to a hair salon with a bagful of manic panic like yesterday.

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady
1 year ago

A few years ago I dyed my hair bright blue. It looked amazing.

And last year I dyed my hair neon pink for my cousin’s wedding. His wife loves pink and guests were asked to incorporate some pink in their outfit. I and the guy all in black with neon pink high lights like shoe laces and piping stole the show of all the guests.

I don’t dye my hair more often for two reasons:

1. If my hair gets longer than 3 cm it drives me up the wall, so I buzz it off regularly.

2. Bleaching and dyeing my hair makes it feel like plastic. I often run my hand through my hair when thinking hard. Which I do a lot for my job.

It’s also bloody expensive and there is no way in hell I’ll try bleaching my hair at home. Saw too many hair horror videos for that!

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@kupo

That is by far the most beautiful, skillfully-done dye job I have ever seen. 😍

Violet the Vile, Moonbat Screech Junky
Violet the Vile, Moonbat Screech Junky
1 year ago

I have a navel piercing, and I once met a guy who said “I don’t know why women do that, I’ve never looked at a navel piercing and thought, wow that’s sexy…”

It was a really weird moment, realising that he applied my choice to pierce my navel, done when I was 18 because I wanted to be Nancy from The Craft and I thought it was the kind of thing she’d do, to himself. Without even questioning it.

He also turned out to be the kind of person who rudely grilled my best friend on the ins and outs of being transgender, and how, exactly, two people with dicks have sex with each other “I’ve heard you do [insert weird straight male rumour] is that true?”

So fuck that guy. (I didn’t, but sadly a lot of people did so I imagine he has not yet learned his lesson)

Not Edward
Not Edward
1 year ago

I suspect one reason why incels and similar hate make up etc is that they hate women (well duh!) but specifically real, fleshy, individual, imperfect women, not realising there is no other kind (any more than there is any other kind of anyone).
As others have pointed out, “Stacy” is an artifice; she is not real: she is basically “Becky” dressed up, and Incels, unlike normal adults, are perpetually angry and disappointed (rather than delighted) when it invariably proves to be the case that “Stacy” is an actual real person not their fantasy doll.
In short, they are basically a really, really noxious versions of a small child being angry that department store Santas are not the real thing.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara
1 year ago

@kupo, I love it, especially how there are different dyes in layers so it looks almost iridescent.

Which kind of got me thinking about cassowaries because, really, who wouldn’t want to be a metal af flightless bird with iridescent plumage who can disembowel people with a kick?

comment image

CASSOWARY SEES YOU THERE IS NOWHERE TO RUN

PS While searching for cassowary images, I also found pictures of cassowary chicks and OMG SQUEE 😍

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

@Violet the Vile:

Ugh, I hate people like that. I mean, we’re human, we’re intelligent (mostly), we’ll work it out: it’s kind of what our species does. It’s like announcing to the world, “I am the least imaginative person you will ever be unfortunate enough to spend time in the sack with”. Yeah, way to sell yourself there, bro.

Almost as bad as the, “homosexuals squick me out so much that I’m going to spend the next 10 minutes/ 5,000 words going into eye-watering detail of what they get up to– or I think they get up to– in private, you cannot imagine how repulsed I am” guys. They’re my favourite. /s

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
1 year ago

The Becky is rated “average 6/10” on what I assume is Objective Female Hotness Scale going from 1 to 10, or something like that. Oddly enough, for men who make a big deal on being below-average looking, incels don’t seem much interested in postulating the properties of below-average looking women. According to the Normie Distribution Principle, these women must exist somewhere, although no stock photographer has yet managed to capture evidence of them.

The Stacy is rated “10/10 qt 3.14”, which I’m somewhat curious about. I assume it’s some advanced sexual market economics.

Moggie
Moggie

@Lumipuna:

Presumably that’s “cutie pie”?

Big Titty Demon
Big Titty Demon

@Cat Mara

So I googled cassowaries, because I privately doubted the disembowling with a kick ability (“it’s a bird! No way!”)… turns out you are right. I got to “the commonest injuries are […] bone fractures” and “bits of children have been discovered beneath the nests” before I closed that tab with the resolution to never get near a cassowary.

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
1 year ago

Oh, thanks. I was never into iconographic puns, in any language.

Poppy
Poppy
1 year ago

I really recommend reading the book this is taken from “Whoever Fights Monsters” Robert Ressler goes through loads of cases like this and even writes how people who do these kinds of things are just expanding on normalised but toxic male behaviour related to women. Its a really good but very intense read.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

@Big Titty Demon:

Ah, but you’re forgetting the secret ingredient: Australia. Can you imagine the conversations when the continents got their flora and fauna?

Europe: How about birds?
Australia: Cool but what if also… murder birds?
Africa: Dude, you say that for everything! Murder snakes, murder spiders, murder jellyfish… seriously, are there any species living in you right now that won’t murder you?
Australia: Well, there’s koalas. They’re a bit bitey, sure, but not actively murder-y, not as such…
Europe: Well, that’s nic–
Australia: I’m pretty sure it’s the toxins in the eucalyptus leaves, though. If they weren’t all stoned off their gourds on them, they might be more homicidal…
Africa: OMG WTF is wrong with you

A cassowary foot. We might not remember when dinosaurs walked the Earth but the cassowaries do… and how they belong to the same clade:

comment image

Turan, Emissary of the Fly World
Turan, Emissary of the Fly World
1 year ago

Koalas may not be “actively murdery,” but a very large percentage of them do have chlamydia, and humans may be able to catch it from them (not from having sex with them, but from exposure to their urine).

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it
1 year ago

@Kupo:. Your hair is stunning. It reminds me a little of the Aurora Borealis, that light phenomenon that happens near the north or south poles. I’ve never seen it in person, only in pictures.

RE:. David Berkowitz. Amazingly enough, I’ve read that he has a prison job providing mental health/emotional counseling to his fellow inmates. He’s the serial killer I have the clearest childhood memories of, because I had relatives who lived in the NYC area. He was also, at the time, called the 44 Caliber Killer.

This whole business of women supposedly changing their appearance only to be more attractive to men…I remember overhearing a discussion of anorexia, and one man wondered why girls and women would voluntarily starve themselves, since it wasn’t attractive to men! Someone patiently explained that it had very, very little to do with men.

I’ve noticed that men’s blazers & suit jackets have quite a bit of padding in the shoulders. Are men guilty of “false advertising”? Should women be pissed off at them, when their physiques aren’t quite as they appear? Look at the Rotten Tangerine. He’s got enough padding in his suit’s shoulders for at least three typical suit jackets.

Talonknife
Talonknife
1 year ago

I dyed my hair candy apple red right before a school trip to Prague last year. It was a really pretty color and I wish I could keep it up, but it only looks good on me in conjunction with a clean-shaven face and trying to maintain that is impossible.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ cat mara

There was an interesting experiment where the researchers replicated a velociraptor’s limb and claw as a robotic arm; and then using the best estimates of muscle strength etc. set it loose on (already dead) pig abdomens.

Whilst the claw could occasionally pierce the abdomen, it couldn’t slice it. It was too rounded. So no disemboweling it seems; rather the limb would have just been used to hold the prey in place whilst they ate.

Laserqueen
Laserqueen
1 year ago

Having sat through 26 years of AF security/terroism briefings at this point, I’ve been wondering when they would get updated for some of the current domestic terror/security risks. I haven’t seen this yet- sure hope I do- because I’ve been asked several times why I follow incel/MRA/PUA crap here.

The dude in charge of our briefings locally is a hard core Trumpie and completely tone deaf to the room. When 45 was elected he was gleeful and positively giddy while briefing a large room full of science/research folk. Many, many of whom are POC, women, and naturalized citizens- all tasked with doing research for the AF and keeping our research ours- not a very happy room at all and he was completely clueless.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ Castrating Harpy;

You’re talking about someone who preplanned their behavior to trip the hot buttons of apparent mental instability, intending to later portray themselves as insane while committing premeditated acts.

This sounds perfectly sane to me.