doggoes kitties open thread

Open thread for personal stuff, like if there’s a cat always sitting on you

BFFs, or cat tyranny in action?

By request, a long overdue open thread for personal stuff! No trolls.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
1 year ago

It’s obvious that it’s cat tyranny.

Cats will go to any lengths to get the opportunity to sit on an individual, whether that individual is a dog or a human or a plant.

Unless that individual would welcome a cat sitting on them. Then it’s, Oh no! I’m not a lap cat, thank you very much.

Cats: tyrants, the lot of them.

No cat trolls, please.

Moggie
Moggie

All cats are trolls.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann
1 year ago

I am on the verge of taking a kitten from a litter.

The problem being that I never owned a cat, and I have a ton of stuff that don’t like being knocked down, in particular metalic models for wargames. Also, maybe 42m2 isn’t enough for a cat.

Lurker LXVII of the Chattering Class
Lurker LXVII of the Chattering Class
1 year ago

As it happens, there is a cat sitting on me and he’s nearly always there when I am at home. I’ve been reduced to a servant of the purring lar. But I’m totally ok with it.

Miri
Miri
1 year ago

My best friend had to put down their cat this morning and it sucks that I’m on the opposite side of the world bc I can’t comfort them. I’m gonna make sure to shower the local cat with lots of love.

Victorious Parasol
1 year ago

I’m needing a lot of cat cuddles this week. Fortunately our quartet are mostly cooperating (the oldest cat is excused from cuddling as she’s 20 years old and grouchy).

Monday Mr. Parasol had a biopsy. The odds are in his favor, and he should be okay, but I really really want the pathologist to tell us that now. Or a couple hours from now. Sooner would be good.

Skiriki
Skiriki
1 year ago

Well, my household has been teeming (read: two) with kittens and Carisma’s mamacat act has been driving me wrecked. She is hitting the stage of “must move kittens to a safe place”, except she’s pretty daft about what counts as a safe place and thankfully, those squeaky things squeal so loudly that I wake up in dead of night to rescue them.

I haven’t slept at night for couple of nights.

But the kittens are mighty cute!

Just scoot over to https://twitter.com/DidiCarisma/ to see cutesywutesy babbies!

PS: last night she was sitting on me, several times.

bluecat
bluecat
1 year ago

There is almost always a cat sitting on me. She likes to lie along the line of my hip and relocates when I turn over in bed.

Except when it’s cold, when she’s under the covers and curled up at the back of my knees.

FranticCaps
FranticCaps

@Miri

That does suck. I had to put my cat to sleep at the end of February. He was 22 years and 5 months old (which I think is the rough equivalent of a 106-year old human?)! It seems pretty quiet around here without him.

Miri
Miri
1 year ago

@FranticCaps damn that is old. I think Tonks (the cat) was in her mid-teens.

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it

@Ohlmann

I hope you go for it. Are you at home quite a bit? As long as you take the time to play with the kitten every day, and give him or her plenty of attention and love, it should work out OK.

@FranticCaps:

You must have taken excellent care of your cat, for him or her to live so long. Thank you.

@Victorious Parasol:

20 years old? Wow. One of my cats may have been as old as 19, when she finally departed to the big tuna can in the sky. She used to sit dead center in a big spider plant I had.

Victorious Parasol
1 year ago

Yep, she’s 20. She was born in captivity, as we put it – her mother had been taken in at the shelter when she was pregnant – so her age is a matter of record, not a best guess. She’s a cranky ol’ broad, but we love her dearly.

TB Tabby
TB Tabby
1 year ago

Fundies Say the Darndest Things has undergone a complete overhaul. I’m not sure I like it. I can’t use code, edit comments or search comments anymore, and mod approval is taking longer than I would like.

Doethreetwoone
Doethreetwoone
1 year ago

So, not cat related, but…

The Court of Arbitration for Sport has ruled that Caster Semenya (Olympic 800m champ and world record holder) must artificially reduce her testosterone levels, and keep them artificially lowered for 6m prior to competition, if she wants to continue competing in any event between the 400m and the mile.

Miri
Miri
1 year ago

@Doethreetwoone I’ve heard about her and it’s just ridiculous. Like, performance-enhancing drugs? Oh no, that’s totally terrible, but performance-limiting drugs, yeah let’s force this one specific person to take those

Doethreetwoone
Doethreetwoone

@Miri

Right? While we’re at it, lets chop Michael Phelps’ arms length down to more usual proportions.

Oh…wait, no one is suggesting that?

Viscaria
Viscaria

@Victorious Parasol

I hope you get news very soon, and it is good news. I’m sorry the waiting is so hard.

@thread

One of my kitty cats, also at the venerable age of 20, is sadly dying of bowel cancer. We are giving him daily steroids and the yummiest food whenever he wants. He will be with us for a few more weeks, probably. It’s tough. It’s particularly hard on my husband, who has had these cats for their whole lives and loves them so completely.

In lighter news, I am about a week away from turning 30 and I feel extremely normal and in no way weird about it.

Talonknife
Talonknife
1 year ago

I’m finally home where I can see my kitties, although they’re not always happy to see me.

In unrelated news, the transmission in my car got totally shredded yesterday. I was on my way home from college for the summer. It’s a good thing my grandparents were helping me move out or I would have been stranded in the middle of nowhere with no cell service. We managed to get the car home and into a shop, but it added at least another hour or so to our trip.

Miri
Miri
1 year ago

@Doethreetwoone Yeah, right after we take a few inches off of Usain Bolt’s legs. After all, it wouldn’t be fair to the other athletes he’s competing against to let him use his whole body without any limitations- oh wait.

Victorious Parasol

@Viscaria

The results just came in – it’s benign. There has been much marital hugging.

AuntieMameRedux
AuntieMameRedux

@Victorious Parasol

Waiting for testing or test results is the worst. I feel you. Limbo is an unbearable state for many, including me. I remember once remarking to my mom in similar circumstances that I would almost rather have the bad news and start coping than the days of waiting and wondering and envisioning every possible scenario. Internet hugs and sympathy sent.

I’m so happy to see other cat people here. I live in ranching country and cats are especially disdained here. This led to me being my own shelter for a while with a high of 11 indoor cats and 5 outdoor cats and who knows how many visiting cats. People made fun of me, but what was I to do? Cats literally showed up wounded and starving in the yard. Not to mention people from the city often dump unwanted pets out here (dogs and cats) thinking that they will have a better chance in the country.

Cat purring takes place on a healing frequency and I have a theory that my cats have helped keep me alive with their cuddles and their purrs. I have two purring for me right now.

@Viscaria

30 and the thirties can be pretty amazing. My twenties were sooo difficult and at 30 I felt like I’d arrived a bit. I hope it is the same for you.

Viscaria
Viscaria
1 year ago

@VP, oh, what great news! Happy to hear it. Thanks for sharing.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 year ago

VP, that’s wonderful news. I’m vicariously very happy for you!

Katamount
Katamount

*opens door into Katamount’s brain*

Man I’m tired. Damned spring colds. Maybe I have allergies or something. But the congestion only lasts the morning then I’m usually okay no matter if I’m inside or outside. I don’t get it. Just hate feeling this way in the morning.

7th Guest Let’s Play recorded… not happy with my weird high raspy voice though. Need to find video editing software, put in pictures. Should I insert other clips? Eh, too much work. But would be funny! Would it detract from the rhythm though? Bah, I should be getting back to doodling anyway. Stupid Star Trek Online and having to work through 9 years worth of achievements over eight characters. Times like this I hate being me and my dumb completist ways. *sigh* Ah well, at least I’m making progress on them.

I hope the High Park Cherry Blossoms bloom this weekend. It’s supposed to be nice and the nature center says they’re in stage 3 and 4. I missed it last year and I don’t intend to miss the peak bloom this year. I need to check the Doors Open list… maybe get some new pictures of the Masonic Temple. Busy busy busy. Not enough hours in the day. Peck away at dirty stories.

*closes door to Katamount’s brain and inches slowly away*

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 year ago

In sadder vein … my MIL died yesterday. It was not unexpected, but as you all know there is basically no way you can “expect” this/have it come as anything but a shock no matter how much you’re expecting it. I didn’t know her well (geographical distance) but it’s a hell of a thing for my OH to have to deal with 🙁

And in the last couple of days, very elderly Dog has got noticeably more wobbly – with the inevitable extra dread for the future loss, especially for Spawn#1 who was very fond of their gran and adores Dog :-(((((

Jurgan
1 year ago

Are shameless promotions okay here? I’m mostly a lurker and only occasionally comment, so if this is out of bounds, please delete, Dave.

So this happened:

This terrifying ghost (“Gaysper”) was quickly adopted by a number of people as an LGBT icon, and several said they wanted a wearable version. My wife has a button-maker, so they quickly set up a way to buy Gaysper buttons on their Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheArtClosetPins

bluecat
bluecat
1 year ago

@ VP – Yay (does little dance!) All the hugging well deserved.

@ TB Tabby – goodness there are some strange world-views out there.

@Opposable Thumbs. I’m so sorry to hear that. May her memory be a blessing. Oh dear the dog… a terrible worry! All the best to you and yours.

moregeekthan
moregeekthan
1 year ago

Only an occasional poster, but I did want to share that my girlfriend is graduating from seminary this weekend. Moderately on-topic, because her cat does indeed like to sit on her for extended periods. (and occasionally sits on me as well)

@VP – so glad to hear that!

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ VP:

Great on the test results!

@ TB Tabby:

I followed the FSTDT link… it looks like someone was doing maintenance in it and left it in some kinda code mode…. That or the web site was built by a spam bot.

Victorious Parasol
1 year ago

Thank you all for the good wishes!

kupo
kupo
1 year ago

My cat is not much of a lap cat, but sometimes she’ll lay on you.

@VP glad you got good news back!

@Visc you’re the best cat mom. All the hugs.

@Katamount could be allergies. Laying down tends to cause the fluids to pool up, so when you’re upright again they have a chance to drain and you feel better after a little bit.

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

Airpunch for @VP, chaste hugs for @Viscaria and @opposablethumbs.

@Katamount:

Dust mites? If you can afford it, try replacing your pillow. Wash your sheets at 60 degrees. Get one of those mattress protectors which bags the whole mattress.

Dust mites are nightmare fuel.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 year ago

Thank you, bluecat – and all my best to you too, and to mammotheers dealing with whatevery (sic) things youall are dealing with :-s

cornychips
cornychips

@katamount

I have HORRIBLE allergies. I live in central Texas where its either pollen, grass, OR MOLD all damn year long. I used o have to walk with a mask and would get hives going outside to check my mail.

Allergy shots have helped my pollen and grass problem, buuuut mold still fucks me up. I had to buy a heavy duty air filter to sleep next to so that I was only breathing purified air. I still get congestion in the mornings, but its nothing like to disgusting hacking mess I used to suffer through.

These are hella expensive, but they also filter out ammonia, city pollution, VOCs, etc. And they are ZERO maintenance.

Then again, Moggie is very right about the dust mite problem. Good luck,

Violet the Vile, Moonbat Screech Junky
Violet the Vile, Moonbat Screech Junky

@VP Brilliant news!

I have a cat shouting at me whenever I’m at home, usually about food or treats or going outside. Sitting on me, sadly not so much; he’s not much of a lap cat. He prefers to sit by himself, on top of his cat barrel, and judge me.

In bad news, I have exams upcoming AAAAaaaaAAAAAaaaAAAAA

In good news, I’m about to go for my intermediate belt in karate and there is a hot new boy in the class. Sorry, I mean an attractive man (I have proper huge slightly obsessive crush and am reverting to about 14).
Am plotting how best to get to know him. Current plan is:
1) ask whether he wants to be added to the karate whatsapp group which we are all quite active on. This should hopefully lead to finding out more about him, and will also genuinely be a nice thing to do as we let each other know when classes are cancelled on there etc, so tbf he needs to be on there and it is not at all a pretext to get his mobile number. But of course it does give us the chance to text should he be open to that
2) find out whether he has a girlfriend/is straight/is interested in sexual relationships
3) flirt outrageously if answers and observations line up (and if it is clear he wants to be flirted with and wouldn’t rather just be left alone to learn karate, which to be fair is a possibility)
4) ????
5) NEW BOYFRIEND

Foolproof, right?

So yeah, those three things are pretty much what is on my mind right now. Hope you are all good. xx

kupo
kupo

Wash your sheets at 60 degrees

Was trying to decipher what difference the angle at which you wash sheets could possibly make. Might need more coffee.

Katamount
Katamount

@Moggie et al.

I’m going to the doctor’s office Friday for a long-overdue checkup and I’ll ask about getting an allergen test done. I’m a stomach sleeper so my nose is near the pillow when I sleep. *shrug* We’ll find out.

kupo
kupo
1 year ago

Side note: the property manager sends out fear mongering emails each year warning us about the May Day “riots” (peaceful protests) and my coworkers are worried about coming in now. 🙄

I hope they hug* Bezo’s balls** like they were planning to last year.

* The event to bust them was taken down for violence, so they went with a different approach

** His balls are these:
comment image

Cats In Shiny Hats
Cats In Shiny Hats
1 year ago

My cat apparently sulk-curls until I get home, and then becomes a purr monster of great lap sitting.

Moggie
Moggie

@kupo:

“Instructions unclear. Now pinned under washing machine”

I also don’t mean Fahrenheight, because that would be silly.

Victorious Parasol

@cornychips

I had about 5 years before I became susceptible to cedar fever. 😛

contrapangloss
contrapangloss
1 year ago

Yay VP! I’m really glad to hear the test results came out well.

I’m going to run out again, because I have my capstone design report for the damned window press of doom due in eight hours.

On campus, precisely so my parent’s cat CAN’T sit on me, because that isn’t conducive to typing at the speed required.

Scanisaurus
Scanisaurus

Last edited 2 months ago by David Futrelle
Button
Button
1 year ago

My cat is no longer always sitting on me. We had to put her down. 🙁

Katamount
Katamount
1 year ago

*finds Doors Open Toronto list* Ooooh, the Masonic Temple is open this year! It’s quite the history that building has. It acted as a Concert Hall since the 1930s and in the 60s became one of the hottest venues around, taking on the name The Rock Pile as it featured performances by Led Zeppelin, Zappa, The Who, Jethro Tull, BB King, and Chuck Berry to name a few. It was sold to CTV in the 90s, who in turn sold it in 2012 to a tech firm that keeps the place up, preserving the original hand-operated elevators and the main stage.

S. P.
S. P.

The news from me is:
1) I finally had the nerve to formally come out as nonbinary to my family and have started using my chosen name
2) My gf of 10 years proposed to me a few weeks ago
3) I’m anxiously waiting for news on a possible new job

So it’s been a very nervous yet hopeful April.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@Scanisaurus

Ha! I like it.

Admittedly, I don’t tend to watch war movies, so my ability to test them is limited. Would Downfall count? And if so, does it fail the test because of the one brief shot of a topless woman? She’s not a named character, just an almost-background part of a scene establishing that there’s drunken debauched partying going on, and it’s really a very quick shot.

I suppose there’s also an implied rape threat at the end, but it remains implied and nothing happens. And honestly, in the context of what the Soviet army did in Germany at the end of WW2, that’s downright miraculous.

Lurker LXVII of the Chattering Class
Lurker LXVII of the Chattering Class

@Jurgen

Haha, that is the cutest thing ever! It looks like the ghost of the old Apple logo. Sad that the original intent behind it exists, but mega-cute.

@Scanisaurus

I really like your art style. Sadly, my favorite war movie, Hacksaw Ridge, fails the test for having no woman who significantly influences the plot. Or at least, none of them do unless you count influencing the male characters to do things which change the plot–but I rather suspect you meant direct agency.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@Scanisaurus

That comic is fantastic, and waaaaayyyy on the nose.

Edit: reminds me of Kameron Hurley’s essay on a similar subject, which has probably been linked here a bunch of times. But for anyone who missed it:

tim gueguen
1 year ago

I have no pets to tell cute stories about. These days I get my live animal fix from encounters with the local jackrabbits. They’re all over the place in Saskatoon. And some of them seem pretty smart. Monday morning I ended up walking 15 or 20 meters behind one. He’d stop for a bit, then start off again, probably to keep me a proper distance behind him. He finally decided to cross the street, which had quite a bit of traffic. He stood up on his hind legs for 10 seconds or so, then crossed only when it was clear no traffic was nearby.

One this morning didn’t seem too concerned with me when I stopped about 3 meters or so away from him. He just kept chewing the grass.