baby men empathy deficit entitled babies jordan "slappy" peterson memes men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny reddit

Memes of Production: “My boyfriend spends all his time making communist memes,” Reddit gal laments

Slavoj Žižek ruins another happy relationship

By David Futrelle

I was all prepared to do another post on something gobsmackingly terrible, and then I ran across this post from the Relationship subreddit popping on Twitter:

Ah, the age-old lament of the communist meme widow!

The original post has already been deleted from Reddit (though the comments still stand). But I was able to snag a screenshot from Twitter’s @Redditships and I present it to you now, with some highlights added by me:

Most of those responding on Twitter are going with jokes and memes and variations of “it me!” And I have to admit that the first thing I did was to make my own meme on the state of this poor woman’s relationship, swapping out the face of Jesus in an old meme for the face of Slavoj Žižek, the hot-dog-loving Marxist philosopher who for some reason just had a three-hour debate on Marxism with Jordan Peterson, who apparently has spent less time actually studying Marxism than he did debating it with the Ziz.

But all joking aside, I feel bad for the gal. Her meme-obsessed boyfriend is being a jerk towards her and should definitely spend less time pasting Žižek’s face into memes — though I would like to add that when a blogger does the same thing to make a point it’s perfectly fine, and it doesn’t mean he’s neglecting his cats.

The fact that this guy is ostensibly a lefty doesn’t absolve him. He’s really no different than the stereotypical aging jock who demands his wife or girlfriend shut up and leave him alone while he obsessively watches football, or whatever. I mean, it’s only been a few weeks since half the internet — justifiably — jumped on reactionary pundit Denise “D.C.” McAllister for trying to convince the women of America to become drink-servers for their sports-loving hubbies.

DC MCALLISTER @MCALLISTERDEN TRYING TO TALK TO MY HUSBAND WHILE CAROLINA IS PLAYING HE LOOKS AT ME AND SAYS WOMAN YOU KNOW BETTER THAN THIS THE GAME IS ON HE'S RIGHT I SLIPPED COMMERCIAL COMES ON I FETCH HIM A BEER HE GRABS ME DEEP KISSES PATIENCE AND TIMING LADIES THAT'S THE LESSON

If you’re spending time with a person, spend your time with that person. It’s more than fine to have some time to yourself, even a lot of time, but don’t shut your partner out and stop asking them questions about their life. Come on dude, how funny are your Zizek memes anyway?

I mean, I just went through a whole bunch of Zizek memes and honestly most of them were terrible, not much better than the cringy Jordan Peterson memes his fans put together.

These were ok, though.

And, seriously, if you haven’t seen the video of him marching down the street with a half-eaten hot dog in each hand, munching furiously, you need to.

But enough about Zizek. My point is, relationships are more important than memes, and if you don’t realize that, you probably shouldn’t be in a relationship.

Lainy
Lainy

I know this is just my smart ass being to literal but I just pictured him on their phone all the time while they do things. Like I just pictured them making love and her looking over her shoulder to see him on his phone making memes.

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

the most i know about zizek is that he is or at least looks like the “i would prefer not to” guy and i think that’s as much as i want to know about him considering he’s a white guy with a cult of personality

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

Um, your cats just texted me: TELL DAVID 2 GET OFF TEH INTERNETS AND FEED US.

Nanny Oggs Busom
Nanny Oggs Busom

David is his cats. It’s all misdirection to make us think he’s a real human, rather than two cats in a human suit, I tells ya!

Teiresias
Teiresias

Ugh, bougiecoms. Not as bad as Peterson fans, but still pretty annoying. Focus on the goal, not the process.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

David, you need to spend less time memeing and more time opening cans of tuna and sprinkling catnip on things.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

My cats just informed me that I spend too much time making memes.

I don’t know how to make a meme.

They live to break their mother’s heart.

Moon Custafer
Moon Custafer

My husband has just informed me that I was so focussed on this thread I failed to see his frantic signals to capture the cat for her evening toothbrushing.

Bakunin
Bakunin

Ugh, Zizek

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@Lainy

Heh. Maybe her boyfriend is Kyle, of “I’m typing this comment while HAVING SEX” and “Waah, my girlfriend ate pancakes” fame.

numerobis
numerobis

I got to the part about neglecting your cats and my current lap cat was staring at my phone like “oh sister, don’t I know it”.

(The other one was licking her bum.)

kupo
kupo

David’s cats:
comment image

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

OT: I in bad place.
Well I’m pissed
My mean aunt grabbed me by the shirt
wouldn’t let go
and tried to bite my arm when i pulled my shirt free
I at least managed to shut and lock the door on her before she had the nerve to try something worse.
Her current status: prowling around the area getting pissed at me.

contrapangloss
contrapangloss

Ooglyboggles, I’m sorry that happened to you, and I’m glad you’re safe on the far side of a locked door.

Any way to get away from her permanently? Human bites are nasty (as in highly likely to get infected) and you shouldn’t have to worry about being assaulted by a family member.

Michael
Michael

I found the Lacan one funny but again I suffered through the Mirror Stage in grad school so yeah…

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@contrapangloss
I could cut my losses and return home to my mom and stepdad.

I’m just here at grandma’s house (with mean aunt in it) since it’s closer to the college I attend.

Anonymous

Zizek is brilliant and well-educated, but he uses his brilliance and education in support of Marxism in general and Stalinism in particular, the moral equivalent of Eichmann using his hard work and attention to details in the service of genocide. Virtues such as intelligence and hard work are pointless when used to evil ends.

Orwell pointed out 70 years ago that Zizek, like other Marxist intellectual supporters of Stalinism, simply clouds his view – “I believe in killing off your opponents when you can get good results by doing so” – in lots of talk.

Orwell notes the professor will instead say something like this: “While freely conceding that the Soviet régime exhibits certain features which the humanitarian may be inclined to deplore, we must, I think, agree that a certain curtailment of the right to political opposition is an unavoidable concomitant of transitional periods”.

This is, in effect, Zizek speaking, with his claims that Stalinist terror needs to be “reinvented”, not “deplored”, that a new “dictatorship of the proletariat” (i.e., a new Stalin) is the “only viable solution”, that the terror was “too moral” (they just overdid it in a good cause), etc. Zizek’s prose is better, indeed excellent and impressive, but that only makes it morally worse, considering his evil goals.

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Ooglyboggles
I’m so sorry! That is some seriously messed-up shit. It’s domestic violence. You need a safety plan.

My suggestions:

1. Call your parents and have them first talk to your aunt and tell her to knock it off and then come pick you up. Right away.

2. Call a domestic violence hotline. They don’t care what the situation is. They’ll speak to you and help you figure out a safety plan.

3. Call the cops. Your aunt has attacked you and made you feel unsafe. They can come by and talk to her. They might arrest her–I don’t know. That part might have to do with whether you’re willing to press charges.

These are my best ideas. Pick one, pick more than one, or pick none. Above all, stay safe. Let us know how you’re doing.

Anonymous

As for the he complaint by this girl in general, isn’t this just the usual “my boyfriend’s online all the time”?

You might as well replace “communism” in her complaint with, say, “Minecraft” and get essentially the same post.

It is him obsessing over the internet and ignoring her that is the problem, not his “communism”.

Kat –

Good advice. If nothing else the aunt could use a stern talking-to to stop her from harming her niece. Possibly more, i.e. perhaps an arrest or a restraining order, depends on how bad her behavior is.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

1) My parents are asleep and didn’t answer my phone

2) I called the domestic violence hotline and they gave me good advice and helped me know that this isn’t considered normal or okay and that I don’t deserve this kind of abuse.

3) I called the police and had them file a report. I didn’t want to risk the other aunts coming in and defending my mean aunt and saying I’m hysterical or some shit.

@Anonymous
Unfortunately my other aunts are here, while they do keep my mean aunt from arguing while I’m here they also would see my action as something bad and would assume I’m in the wrong.

Bakunin
Bakunin

@Anonymous
Why are you here?

Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile
Kat, ambassador of the feminist government in exile

@Ooglyboggles
Good moves.

I’m sure the domestic violence hotline told you that what is most important is a safety plan. Get one together. If you need to act on it, do so.

We’re rooting for you. Stay safe.

contrapangloss
contrapangloss

Ooglyboogles:

I’ll reiterate that I’m glad you’re currently okay, and that the situation sucks. I also agree with Kat that having a plan is a good idea.

I’ll add that I’m glad you got some good advice from the hotline, too.

Good luck, and I’m sorry your aunts are cruddy. I mean, if one of them is totally okay with assaulting you and the others are totally willing to ignore that and blame you instead…

… that sucks.

Re: Thread and Cats

Moving states in a month, and staying with my folks while I pack up my life for a 2145 mile move. Their cat has been stalking me ever since I wandered in this morning, much to my pup’s dismay.

Not silent stalking though. More “I’m going to sit next to you and YELL AT THE TOP OF MY CAT LUNGS UNTIL YOU PLAY WITH ME OR LET ME INTO THE ATTIC OR PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEEEE”.

Anonymous

Glad to hear it worked out, Ooglyboggles. Unfortunately, many families have an argumentive, abusive relative who is protected by their siblings / parents / children, while they make life hell for the slightly more distant family.

It is sometimes bearable when they are just generally rude to everybody, but sometimes, as seems to be the case here, they have a particular member of the family (you) as their target. Surely you should not stand for this!

Gijoel
Gijoel

Thought of this for some reason.

occasional reader
occasional reader

I wonder if when he goes climax, he says something like “Oh yes, i com-munism(t?)’ ?

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Ooglyboggles – That sounds really stressful – I’m so sorry that happened. I hope you can get to a better living space or at least keep your distance.

No one should use violence or threats to intimidate people. I was guilty of that towards my parents and brother when I was younger. The power dynamics were different, as I was the daughter, but it was still horrible of me.

While people can get out of those patterns, as I did, don’t trust the aunt if she says she’s sorry and she’ll stop it right away. (Maybe she’s not that type – maybe she’d just deny that she did something wrong). If you can I’d just avoid her entirely.

@all – I’m sorry to be all gloom and doom here, but another thing in the world is stressing me out, the attacks in Sri Lanka. My parents’ church has people with relatives there. And I’m sure that white supremacist terrorists will use this as an excuse for more violence.

Anonymous

>>>>And I’m sure that white supremacist terrorists will use this as an excuse for more violence.

Unfortunately, the answer is both yes and no.

Yes, because Islamic terrorists and Nazi ones are essentially the same sort of people, each side’s violence “excusing” the next outrage from the other side as “revenge” and “justice”.

No, because both movements are those of murderous racial supremacists, and do not really need any excuse for violence. The targets being Christian (for Islamists) or brown-skinned (for Nazis) is enough.

Lainy
Lainy

Anonymous

You know not everything is a debate right.

Katamount
Katamount

Hugz for Ooglyboggles. 🙁

Man, I’m feeling really run-down today. Anybody else get that run-down feeling around spring/fall? I always kinda dread September because I feel exactly the same, like I’m on the verge of succumbing to a cold, but I never break out into a sore throat or nasal congestion.

The back of my mind always thinks it’s allergies, but the symptoms never get bad enough and the outdoors are actually where I feel half-decent. I think it’s a combination of stress and the inconsistent weather. After all, September is when everything gets really busy after summer break and April was classically exam time back in school.

Of course, having to attend a birthday party that lasts into the evening and be “on” the whole time doesn’t help.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@Ooglyboggles

Ugh. Best of luck. Dealing with abusive family is the pits.

*solidarity, and hugs if wanted*

Onager
Onager

I have enjoyed Zizek’s “Pervert’s Guides to…” but, having read a report on his “debate” with Peterson, I’m not sure he has much worth saying these days, although I also have my issues with the article too:

Great American Satan

He basically came off a lot like J-Petes (in terms of level of preparedness and ability to make a point) and wrapped the debate by agreeing with him that academic leftists are teh worst and political correctness has gone too far. Say no to Zizek.

Victorious Parasol

@ Katamount

I’ve been feeling that way this spring, so it’s not just you.

Katamount
Katamount

@Great American Satan (awesome name, BTW!)

I watched YouTuber named Vaush (an anarcho-syndicalist) break down what Zizek actually has to say on political correctness and he doesn’t use the term as the internet CHUDs use it. Zizek’s political correctness is the deference that you have to show to a nice boss who says it’d be doing him a solid if you worked a bit later or came in on the weekend. CHUDs will interpret this as Zizek saying “Yeah, he agrees that SJWs are stupid!” when that is not the case.

Vaush also broke down a response video by one such CHUD named John Doyle who actually said that he liked what Hegelian Communist Slavoj Zizek was saying because he took a potshot at political correctness. Vaush then pointed out that you have a CHUD telling the rest of us what they need to get on board with a left-wing agenda.

I’m not sure I entirely agree with Vaush’s assessment on that as we can’t just give up basic empathy to towards vulnerable groups if it means getting CHUDs on board with whatever economic reforms Zizek is advocating. But I found the idea that perhaps it is just their basic thirst for some hierarchy, racial or otherwise, that’s standing between a CHUD and the political left an interesting one.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Katamount

Pretty much the case, yeah. Doesn’t mean Zizek isn’t a tankie POS.

Robert
Robert

I’ve read some of the Reddit threads about the Pete/Ziz debatacle, and it reminded me that nobody I know in offline life has any idea who either of them are.

This baffles Lobsterkin when I mention it.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Thank you everyone for the condolences. Currently in room and back from college classes. Mean aunt hasn’t said a thing to me. I can thank the fact other aunts are around for that. She’s the kind of bully that doesn’t do anything if other people would make things difficult for her.

Lainy
Lainy

@Ooglyboggles

I’m sorry that this happened to you. I hope she didn’t succeed in biting you. Trust me when I say bites from humans get infected, they don’t clean or heal easily. Might actually be worse then a horse bite if I’m honest.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Lainy
Fortunately I do not see any bite marks or any obvious signs of infection.

epitome of incomprehensibility

I don’t know much about Zizek’s politics, but a while ago I read a short book by him called On Violence. The last line stated something like “the greatest violence is doing nothing,” and I couldn’t tell if its ambiguity was profound or a cop-out. Does it mean that doing nothing is worse than violence? Or that inaction, in certain cases, is an effective resistance strategy??

Sometimes contrarian epigrams like that are just show-offy.

On the other hand, I remember him making a good point that extreme situations don’t bring out the best in people or reveal their true selves.

On the other other hand, that doesn’t excuse him defending oppressive or violent governments.

@Anonymous – Right, neither *needs* an excuse for bloodshed. And I wasn’t thinking clearly – most white supremacists probably won’t care about the Sri Lanka bombings because the majority of victims were PoC, though I can see some of those types going on about how Christianity needs to be defended (many of the bombings were in churches on Easter).

But I don’t think characterizing ISIL (etc.) terrorists as “racial supremacists” is quite right. Even if they did only target Christians, which they don’t, is that really racially motivated? The religion = ethnic group conflation happened with Jews and Muslims in Europe (etc.), but I don’t see the quite the same thing the other way around. When Christianity is equated with “the West,” the focus is on culture/nationality as well as religion, but still not really “race”. That’s my impression, but maybe someone with more historical background can weigh in.

I’m not arguing that some terrorists are better than others*, just that race isn’t always the defining factor.

*In terms of mass killers, I mean. The so-called “eco-terrorists” who destroyed property in the 1980s and 90s weren’t all that terroristic, and people defending against government violence get the “terrorist” label way too easily. Anyway.

Anonymous

Peterson vs. Zizek. A supporter of the “good old days” vs. a Stalinist. Just great. Because, *obviously* these are the *only* two options: women, apparently, can only choose between the kitchen or the gulag.

Still, each one proves the other one is a jerk, which is something I guess. Nobody is all bad, I suppose.

TheKND
TheKND

@Anonymous

Are you trying to fill in the centrism quota?

Lainy
Lainy

@Ooglyboggles

I’m glad your safe. I had a pretty scary week already myself. I might be in trouble because of it but I really didn’t know what to do. My creepy co worker trapped me in the employ room where we keep our bags and lunches if someone brings them. he got me all boxed in and I sprayed pepper spray at him from my purse. I was so scared I didn’t even get it in his eyes like I wanted to but it was enough to get him away from me. Went on his shirt and just being that close to it made my eyes and hands irritated. Not gonna lie, seeing his eyes water in pain made me really happy though. Luckily I have a witness to back me up so I don’t think he can weasel his way out of it this time.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@TheKND
Despising fascists and tankies alike is not necessarily a centrist stance; it’s quite common on the left, and indeed is a position that I share.

MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)
MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)

@Ooglyboggles- What the hell?! That is something one would expect from a rabid animal, not a human being! I think you should get out of there, who knows what could happen if she escalates.

Lainy-That must have been terrifying! Good on you for your quick acting, though! It’s good that you had a witness to his creepy behaviour, too. Definitely report it.

TheKND
TheKND

@Dalillama
So do I, tankies piss me off and Zizek is a prick and a half for not calling Stalin out. But in this case, I was more referring to the “someone mentions white supremacist terror… BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MUZLIMZ!” part.

FGETC
FGETC

Human bites are nasty.
I got bitten by an adult woman once and it took months to heal. After that, I had a big red ring where she bit me for another year or so, just wouldn’t go away.
People have said it before and you already know this, but since some of your family seems to normalise this behaviour, it deserves repeating: This is not normal. People usually do not grab and bite other people. You are not required to put up with that, you’re not required to act like this is not a big deal. It’s a big deal.
Apologies for kind of barging in on that personal conversation. I’ve dealt with this kind of stuff being normalised to the point that I thought I was the unreasonable one, so I felt it deserves repeating how very not okay it is to bite family members.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

This was on the radio this morning, I seem to recall we’ve got a couple of Albertans here:
Social media fuelling rise of ‘new generation of extremism’ in Alberta, report says
The general comment on the radio was that there’s currently more active extremist sentiment in Alberta than at any time since when the Ku Klux Klan was active in the province. But also:
Incels — or involuntary celibates — form another, more individualistic movement that poses a growing threat to Canadian society, said McCoy.

Members of these groups often use online forums to espouse misogynistic views and celebrate mass killings by incels.

“There’s a diversity of movements that can produce this kind of violence now,” McCoy said.

“There’s a number that are building communities and online forums and are promoting the use of terrorism and mass casualty terrorism, using tools that are accessible to everyone, whether that’s a van or a knife.”