/pol/ 4chan alt-right Islamophobia open thread racism terrorism

Christchurch mosque shootings, 49 dead; one shooter livestreamed his attack: Open thread

By David Futrelle

At least two shooters– apparently working with others — have gunned down multiple victims at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, leaving 49 dead.

One of the shooters livestreamed his attack on Facebook and left behind a white supremacist manifesto railing against foreign “invaders” and declaring himself — using language popular on 4chan and alt-right sites — a “kebab removalist.” The attackers apparently also had explosives. Four people are in custody.; it’s not known if there are still others out there.

Please post any reliable information you have at this situation develops.

Find ongoing coverage at Stuff.co.nz here CNN here, and the Guardian here.

More coverage from Stuff, Vox.

Meteor

Oh Lord. Rest in peace.

EverythingIsRidiculous
EverythingIsRidiculous

If you go to the TVNZ site, there’s video and they’ll stream any news conferences and stand-ups from the police.

Not something we expected to happen here, and I’m so sad and horrified for those affected, especially those who have come to New Zealand from war zones, to be confronted with extreme violence again.

kupo
kupo

My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

As for information, apparently Candace Owens is mentioned in the manifesto. https://twitter.com/nickmon1112/status/1106384270107574272?s=19

Wannabikkit
Wannabikkit

Thanks for the open thread David.

I live in NZ, and this has dominated NZ media all afternoon (it’s 6pm now). We are absolutely shell-shocked. Nothing like this has ever happened here before. The closest thing I can think of is the Aramoana shooting of 1990 where a lone gunman with mental health issues shot 13 people. Automatic weapons were banned after that.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Wannabikkit
hugs
Best wishes to you and your people.

Wannabikkit
Wannabikkit

@Ooglyboggles

Jesalin: Clit-o-centric Lesbian Goddess
Jesalin: Clit-o-centric Lesbian Goddess

Oh dear sweet Goddess!
😢

tim gueguen

The horrible thought just came to mind that the “false flag/crisis actors!” crowd will really be able to rant about this. After all it took place in New Zealand, a place isolated from North America. The fact the shooter is Australian, and the event took place in a country with very restrictive by American standards gun control, will also be used as “evidence.”

Bryce
Bryce

Christchurch is a sort of centre of white nationalism in this country but to say this level of violence is unprecedented would be a huge understatement.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

@tim: Yup. Can’t wait to hear the cries of “gun control doesn’t work!” And “This could have been prevented with more guns!”

Button
Button

Eh. He titled his manifesto “The Great Replacement” and Owens has been hawking that shit hard. I’m reading through it now and Owens being an inspirational figure for this drivel seems absolutely plausible.

In the immediate shock of the event, I’m struck less by the actual human toll and more by the black irony of a white man trying to drive “invaders” from New Zealand. Pro tip, white nationalists, if you want to drive invaders from various “ethnic homelands”, it might be helpful not to stage your terrorism in a place where white people are objectively the invaders, you absolute festering eschar on the asshole of humanity.

Mels
Mels

I’ve seen “subscribe to PewDiePie” (which he said before he began shooting) used to harass prominent antifa Twitter accounts for months. One of those things that targets understand as a threat, but it’s too vague and seemingly nonsensical for anyone not familiar with the subculture to take seriously.

He also said (allegedly – I’m not reading that thing) that Fortnite “taught” him to shoot. I worry the media is going to absolutely fuck up coverage of this asshole’s manifesto.

Tashilicious
Tashilicious

Right before he begins his murder, he says “Remember lads subscribe to pewdiepie”

fucking christ

currently 4 people are in custody, rumours of multiple (up to six?) Mosques hit. They also disarmed a bunch of carbombs and IEDs.

The shooters were covered in white supremacist symbols and language.

The number of dead is unconfirmed at the moment, but the earliest number I saw was 27, and it almost surely will climb. A witness from one of the Mosques said the shooting continued for 15-20 minutes.

He livestreamed it on Facebook.
He had an 8chan thread to invite people to watch and celebrate, and possibly plan.

ReductiveChaos
ReductiveChaos

@Paradoxical Intention: The “more guns” cries have already started. There’s something about a local Muslim man having allegedly shot at the attackers as they fled (after they murdered people), which is instead being spun by the Daily Wire, and probably others, as having stopped the shooting. (The entire thing involving a local man even shooting at the attackers is a bit vague, and potentially inaccurately reported, too.)

On the entire manifesto issue… I guess I have two immediate take-aways. First, actions, specifically the choice of who they murdered and where, speak louder than their words here, as to what sort of radicalized they were. Alt right. White nationalists. Neo-nazis.

Second, the “memes” and “lulz” culture that it seems to have been steeped in strongly suggests that they extensively hung around sites that have been used as alt-right and neo-Nazi recruiting grounds for years. Maybe 4chan. Definitely 8chan. Probably the Gamergate parts of Reddit.

So, regardless of what they specifically say in the manifesto, their tone gives a good indication of where and how they were radicalized, without needing to take any of the words themselves at face value.

(Also, hi everybody. Fairly long-time reader, first time commenter. What a post to finally feel like I have something vaguely useful to contribute. I’m just going to go hug my cat and try to sleep now.)

Gijoel
Gijoel

One of the shooters has been identified as an Australian.

27 dead so far.

Christ in a bucket this is awful.

Wannabikkit
Wannabikkit

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has confimed 40 dead and has now described it as a terrorist attack.

Wannabikkit
Wannabikkit
Moggie
Moggie

Scribd have taken his “manifesto” down.

He says: “Kill Angela Merkel. Kill Erdogan. Kill Sadiq Khan”. Clearly he was hoping to touch off an international wave of violence.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

Wait, weren’t the MRAs planning to invade New Zealand a while back, to secure it for white people? There was a WHTM post about that within the past few years… (ETA: Ah, right, here we are: https://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2015/07/02/red-pill-redditors-prepared-to-take-new-zealand-by-force-using-skills-gained-from-call-of-duty/)

Anyhow, the most touching thing I’ve seen about this:

Hassan is from Sri Lanka and has lived in New Zealand for 6 months. He came to New Zealand for work and opportunities.

“I thought New Zealand was a safe, peaceful country for everyone. I came here because I knew there were no wars. Police told me ‘I am sorry, this is the first time this has ever in this country.’ I don’t know who is dead or alive. I am waiting.”

The fact the cops would say that is, well, telling.

Meanwhile, I notice that Orange Cheeto hasn’t said anything. Ha. I wonder what Fox & Friends will tell him to say.

Button
Button

I mean, it’s the middle of the night in the US. I don’t expect anything good from this President, but I don’t think it’s protocol to wake the President in the middle of the night because terrorists have hit someplace on the other side of the world. Could be wrong.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

Well, not waking him proves he has terrible advisors. It would be the perfect opportunity to claim he’s not an Islamophobe. Hell, they wouldn’t even need to wake him. Just steal his phone for five minutes.

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)

So…It’s about on par with Norway’s Utöya massacre in intent and outcome, but better organized, and better scripted for asshole entertainment value.

Sigh.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

And livestreamed on Facebook, to make it look as much like an FPS as possible. At least most places have taken it down…

Moggie
Moggie

Copy of the “manifesto” on Dropbox:

Looks like he made some money from Bitcoin. Hopefully he’ll have plenty of time to explain blockchain to fellow prisoners.

Moggie
Moggie

Australian pol being reliably vile about this on twitter:

Tashilicious
Tashilicious

I have seen the manifesto. I have read large parts of it. Let me be clear: this long, sprawling document is designed to be reported on. It is full of the sort of ironic shitposting that fills the internet, and it hits all of the beats the media will look for when trying to find angles for the story. It’s engineered for that.

But this is a troll in its ugliest and most horrific form. It is thick with irony. It can be, and has been, misinterpreted. There is no reason to “explain” it – that’s exactly what they want. Why describe it immediately? Why try to look at this document and tie his motives to a YouTuber, a video game, or a meme? This document is not intended as an honest manifesto – it is intended as propaganda.

Moggie
Moggie

The media is ill-equipped to properly report on shitposting culture.

Bryce
Bryce

It’s garbage that reads like a call to arms for similarly inclined losers. That’s all anyone needs to know. And yeah the media aren’t capable of restraint over here, even just out of respect for the victims.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

Oh Jesus fuck.

OK I know this is just my English-major self, but nevertheless:

WHAT THE FUCK do you mean, prefacing your /manifesto/ with Dylan Thomas? Just… NO. Don’t DO that.

Christ. Dylan Thomas would have drunk you under the table, you fuckwits. No to mention that instead of ranting about “white genocide,” he actually just delved into his ancestral culture and used it to create some fucking great poetry.

Seriously, asswipes, THAT’S a contribution to “white” culture. The FUCK have you done? KILLING PEOPLE DOESN’T COUNT.

Grrrrr….

I mean, Christ, mates, that poem was about -mourning his father’s death-. You really think THIS is what he meant?

Oh, wait, of course it is…

TB Tabby
TB Tabby

And so shortly after this, too. A Drumpf-supporting Coast Guard lieutenant was caught plotting to kill prominent Democrats and journalists, but will NOT be charged with terrorism. Gee, I wonder why?

Victorious Parasol

I’m heartsick.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Condolences to the families.

Dead after dead, massacre after massacre, they seem to want to build a civil war all around the world. A war they believe so hard they would win. Damn fuckers.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Hugs to all the NZ readers.

I’ve been fearing a big shooting here in Minneapolis given the intense focus the right has had on our congressperson Ilhan Omar lately. I’d like to attend an event where’s she’s speaking at some point, but honestly would be scared to.

Tashilicious
Tashilicious

There’s a pair of fundraisers going out for victims and their families.

One is by the Socialist Rifle Association, who are explicitly anti-fascist, pro-gun control and accountability, on gofundme

and one is a direct NZ backed on

Tripoli
Tripoli

Honestly, I’m not shocked by the rightwing reaction. The dude’s manifesto is so memey and stereotypical that it sounds like a pure parody. “Left-wing false flag” honestly feels like a legit take.

I mean, 49 people are DEAD ANYWAY, but sure. We’re using it as political fuel from hour 0 and doing exactly what the shooters want.

Bookworm in hijab
Bookworm in hijab

I haven’t been able to read all the comments on here yet, but thanks for doing an open thread,David. I’ll try to read it later on. Just found out when I got to work this morning.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

What an horror.

The comment from Tripoli annoy and frighten me a lot.

Cindy
Cindy

It’s time to lock up Owens and Pewdiepie. It’s the only way to be sure.

My heart goes out to everyone affected by this terrible terrorist attack.

Gijoel
Gijoel

Here is a change.org page calling for Fraser Anning’s removal from the senate. It probably won’t do much, but it’s better than nothing at the moment.

Contrapangloss
Contrapangloss

This is awful. I’m so sorry for all the folks who lost people, and for everyone who feels unsafe because of these evil, awful, and scummy humans.

It’s awful.

New Zealanders in the thread, thanks for letting us know you’re okay (for a certain definition of okay).

All the internet hugs.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Fuck off, Tripoli.

We did politicize this. It already is political. There’s no way to sepetate politics from the rising tide of authatarianism and right wing violence around the world.

And no, false claims are not legit.

moregeekthan
moregeekthan

@Rabbit I would postulate that Trump is not looking for opportunities to signal to the world that he is not an islamophobe, but is rather looking for plausibly deniable opportunities to signal to his base he is an islamophobe.

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow

@Moggie:

“Does anyone still dispute the link between Muslim immigration and violence?”

Seriously? That’s almost Swiftian, except I’m afraid the senator is in earnest. Is this guy for real?

I am thinking of New Zealand with love and sorrow this morning. Friends, you’re in my heart.

Phaos
Phaos

He may have thought it was some laughworthy shitposting stuff to bring up Owens and pewdiepie but legit if this leads to both of those wretches being deplatformed that’d be a big blow against the alt-right, they’re both on the pipeline from dumb youtube videos to radicalization.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I don’t really know what to say but I just wanted to say something to add one more voice of support for the victims, their families, the people of New Zealand, and people worldwide who are at risk from white supremacist violence.

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

There was also an anti-Muslim pogrom in the Netherlands.

Anyone who isn’t terrified has not been paying attention.

Katamount
Katamount

This Canadian sends his thoughts to New Zealand. We were here just a couple years ago when it happened in Quebec City. Shit, I was in the exact spot the Toronto van attack happened just the day before in went down.

I’m… just tired. A lot of it is the time change to Daylight Savings time (which has been affecting me more and more as the years go by), but I just… don’t have the emotional energy to invest into the same cycle anymore, where all our warnings about dehumanization and fearmongering gets ignored, the stochastic terrorists all line up their plausible deniability excuses and the headlines eventually recede until this happens again in a year or two.

I’ll say it was rather remarkable for all the HuffPost trolls always going on about Syrian refugees in Canada suddenly act all gobsmacked and “How could this happen?!”

I’ll also agree with the posters above that we really need a reckoning with the 4chan shitposting community. If there was any justice in this world, any dabbling in that cesspool would be seen as the nihilistic extremism that we all know it is and we’d react to it as if a loved one had just joined a doomsday cult.

*sigh* Think I’ll grab some seeds and head down to Grenadier Pond this weekend. Feed some ducks.

1 2 3