#gamergate alt-lite cringe entitled babies evil SJWs gaslighting irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny nerd rage none dare call it conspiracy TROOOLLLL!!

With Captain Marvel on track for a blockbuster opening weekend, angry boycotters are claiming the box office numbers are an SJW hoax

By David Futrelle

Reactionary dinguses and #Gamergate leftovers have been raging against Captain Marvel for weeks (months?) now, claiming that the movie is little more than secret SJW propaganda designed to genocide white men or something. Now that the movie has hit theaters at last, you might be wondering how well their Captain Marvel boycott is going?

Not very, it turns out. Far from tanking, the film is actually racking up impressive numbers at the box office, with industry observers currently projecting a $150-$160 million weekend in North American theaters alone, way up from initial projections of $100 million.

So how is the angry mob responding? By declaring the box office numbers to be a big hoax, fake news, no collusion! (Oh, wait, they actually think there is collusion.)

Naturally, the positive reviews the film have gotten are supposedly fake as well:

As it turns out, there actually ARE some fake positive reviews of the movie out there. Namely 100 or so identically worded reviews up on Google. So of course the Captain Marvel foes — who only a few weeks ago bombarded Rotten Tomatoes with so many “don’t want to see” votes that the site disabled that feature — are now accusing SJWs and/or Disney of fraud.

Huh. So a huge multinational corporation pushing a major film is going to try to game the reviews by … hiring some troll to post 100 literally identical reviews on Google? Knowing that anyone who saw more than one of the reviews would instantly realize they were fake? I’d say the chance that Disney (or even freelance SJW “shills”) are behind this, rather than some anti-Captain Marvel troll trying to make Disney look bad, are probably about, well, one in 160 million.

Even Jack Posobiec, the Nazi-adjacent professional troll who’s been pushing for people to see Alita: Battle Angel instead of Captain Marvel, has been sounding a bit defensive today:

You know you’re WINNING when all you can offer is excuses.

UPDATE: The numbers from Saturday night are in:

Captain Marvel, starring Brie Larson, shattered the glass ceiling in its box office debut with $455 million in worldwide ticket sales, including $153 million in North America.

The tentpole’s global launch reps the biggest ever for a female-fronted film — eclipsing Beauty and the Beast ($357 million) — as well as the second-largest for any superhero pic behind Avengers: Infinity War ($640.5 million). Overall, it’s the sixth-best worldwide bow of all time, and the international opening of $302 million is the fifth-biggest ever ahead of Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($281 million).

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden
1 year ago

I’m traveling but Captain Marvel is definitely on my bucket list. So glad that it did well despite the rightwing “boycott”. Have they ever had a successful boycott though? Lol

Ariblester
Ariblester

Patricia Kayden wrote on
March 10, 2019 at 11:17 am:

They managed to get Intel to pull advertising from Gamasutra during Gamergate through an email-writing campaign in 2014.

Gamergate also caused a mass exodus from The Escapist of contributors due to the founder Alexander Macris’ Gamergate sympathies.

Oh, and Trump got elected as President. Does that count? 😐

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

@ Ariblester:

Oh, and Trump got elected as President. Does that count?

Only to ten, unless he takes off his shoes

Malitia
Malitia

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie wrote on
March 10, 2019 at 11:35 am:

@ Ariblester:

Oh, and Trump got elected as President. Does that count?

Only to ten, unless he takes off his shoes

I can count to 31 on one hand!

But the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl taught me that, and as we all know that comic book is ebil SJW conspiracy.

Ariblester
Ariblester

Malitia wrote on
March 10, 2019 at 11:55 am:

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie wrote on
March 10, 2019 at 11:35 am:

@ Ariblester:

Oh, and Trump got elected as President. Does that count?

Only to ten, unless he takes off his shoes

I can count to 31 on one hand!

My favorite numbers are 4 and 20 when counting that way. And maybe 9.

(Also: YES! Someone else uses my Quote Helper! I feel so validated now.)

Malitia
Malitia

Ariblester wrote on
March 10, 2019 at 12:03 pm:

My favorite numbers are 4 and 20 when counting that way. And maybe 9.

comment image

(Also: YES! Someone else uses my Quote Helper! I feel so validated now.)

You’re welcome. It’s really neat! :3

epitome of incomprehensibility

Twitter philosopher:

Movie critics are practically REQUIRED to up-vote Captain Marvel because of its feminist #SJW themes. If they don’t, they will lose their standing, maybe even their jobs.

Hmm. The review in my local paper gave it 3/5 stars (saying that the acting was good, but the editing and plot a bit choppy, especially near the end). Will this so-so review please the SJW overlords? If it doesn’t, will the writer get thrown to the SJW lions (who may or may not actually
be Mildly Disapproving Cats)??

Stay tuned.

@Viscaria – That was amusing, thanks 😛

Cat Mara
Cat Mara
1 year ago

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is great though I’ve fallen behind some. Hard to keep up. This bit though had me in stitches:

Michael
Michael
1 year ago

Captain Marvel critically is in the bottom third of the MCU and there is *zero* chance of it receiving any sort of best picture attention outside of the Saturns. If some one is paying for professional reviews they should get their money back. It is still “mostly positive reviews” to be clear.

Anyway, I wish someone would tell these jerks that push polling (i.e. IMDB, RT etc.) is pointless. Even without the trolling the sample isn’t usable for audience reactions. Captain Marvel pulled an A on cinemascore which is par for the MCU and at least Cinemascore is scientific.

Finally, Captain Marvel has brought in 455 Million so it has in all likelihood made back 2x its budget and will start being profitable next week.

Jesalin: Clit-o-centric Lesbian Goddess
Jesalin: Clit-o-centric Lesbian Goddess
1 year ago

Is there an application I can fill out so that Mr Soros or Disney will pay for me to go watch Captain Marvel? Normally I’m kinda meh about comics stuff, although I did like Guardians of the Galaxy. But just to spite these jackasses I wouldn’t mind seeing it.

personalpest
personalpest

@Lumipuma (nee Arctic Ape):

Just wait till the anti-SJW cranks develop a routine of assuming that all of the big budget SJWhero films that Hollywood keeps cranking out must be secretly unprofitable. Eventually, some of them start asking who’s paying for it.

If that happens, I can imagine (((the answer))) they’ll come up with.

@Bakunin

So if the box office returns are bad, it’s proof of how powerful the Fashys are, but if the returns are good, it’s proof of cheating?

It’s all fun and games until they apply the same “logic” to however the 2020 Presidential election turns out.

Moggie
Moggie
1 year ago

@Jesalin, if you’re on the Soros payroll, just talk to Janice in HR: she’s in charge of the employee benefits programme. Otherwise, send in your movie tickets, but be aware that they only pay out quarterly.

Emma
Emma
1 year ago

I’ve seen Captain Marvel twice already. Personally, I don’t think it’s the strongest Marvel film (Thor: Ragnarok holds that place in my heart, but I’m biased towards Taika) but it’s certainly very fun. I was at a screening last night (Sunday night my time) and our 900-seat theatre was practically sold out.

It’s a good time.

Onager
Onager
1 year ago

As a white male I am horrified to find out that I’m genociding myself, even if I’m unclear how that’d work. Worse it appears that I, and everyone in the dozen sold out screens at the local multiplex, were all Soros-funded crisis actors.* As this film seemed to also set-up Monica Rambeau/Photon for Captain Marvel 2**, I assume George*** will be paying double to me for seeing that as Photon represents the intersection of the Venn Diagram of Hate which should make internet idiots’ heads implode.

Now to spend some of my cuck bucks on Goose merchandise…

* Again the mechanics of this elude me but I assume the SJW conspiracy has it all sorted out so I don’t need to invoice them or even send them my bank details

** And Goose Strikes Back

*** I hope I’m not being over-familiar

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

To the Comicsgaters can I just say

comment image

are delicious 😋

Dormousing_it
Dormousing_it
1 year ago

Uuuuuuggggggghhhhh, not another comic strip superhero movie. They’re one of the reasons why I haven’t paid for a movie ticket in more than 15 years.

I hate to be a scrooge, but come on now.

Who?
Who?

@Patricia Kayden:

I know of one boycot that was onsofar sucesful that it is still remembered in Germany.
It was not done by the alt-right thought.
It was done by a politican of Germanys center-rightparty against a filmaker who had sucess in the Naziregime.
The filmaker suid he and wanted to shut him down.
Counterargument was free speach.
The Bundesverfassungsgericht (our highest court counted the free speech higher)

I know of one other boycottcall against the first Mission Imposiblemovie, was at last sucesful for me.

Victorious Parasol
1 year ago

Annnnnnnnd we have yet another disappointing betrayal of the angry boycotters:

Seriously, why would they think Chris Evans would take their side?

Crip Dyke
Crip Dyke
1 year ago

I have betrayed my SJW sisters: I have failed to attend the movie this weekend so far … and I won’t be fitting in a showing at the last minute tonight.

Mr. Soros, I apologize. To make up for my failure this weekend, I intend to see a late night showing on Tuesday, and hopefully the others assigned to fake sustained mid-week interest have some available spaces in one of the local theaters. I mean, obviously I would throw away 20 dollars in the street to own the misogynists, but I really need the bon bon money, so if you need me to attend twice midweek to make up for missing opening weekend, please contact me through the usual channels.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
1 year ago

I plan to see it Tuesday as well. If I get a pop I’ll be sure to scribble “Right Wing Tears” on the outside before drinking it. 🙂

Critical Dragon1177
Critical Dragon1177
1 year ago

OMG! Its the red pill apocalypse!

Dredd
Dredd
1 year ago

Why do these anti SJWs promote Alita? The director makes movies about Danny Trejo murdering racists and the star posts Communist feminist theory on Instagram.

I think those are good things, to be clear!

Hetneo
Hetneo
1 year ago

Jesus, that TheQuartering guy really should cut down on cigars.

rikalous
rikalous
1 year ago

I think those are good things, to be clear!

I was baffled too, and then it hit me. The opening scene has a woman tossed out with the trash, and that’s really all they want in a movie.

vaiyt
vaiyt

@august

So if Captain Marvel makes way closer to 100 million than 160 million, you admit your entire SJW worldview is a fraud. Good to know.

Let me you in on a secret: there’s a whole world of people outside your hopelessly consumerist subculture that doesn’t hinge their self worth and the value of their ideas on the financial performance of corporate branded products.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@Crip Dyke

I feel your pain. I too have failed, and will not be able to attend before this Friday. But I’m doing my best. I’ve arranged for a dog sitter (so I’ll definitely go) and recruited a fellow SJW to attend with me. And, thanks to Soros’ stirling efforts, there’s no chance it won’t still be available. We’ve got this.

Geoffrey Rotherham Plastics
Geoffrey Rotherham Plastics
1 year ago

So what if people say mean things about movies?

Do you speak up about women even in your own country living in poverty?

Or is just screaming “man babies” at men who don’t like movies you fawn over good enough for women?

Andy 707
Andy 707
1 year ago

Captain Marvel is a failure?? How is that even possible? Went to watch the movie yesterday and the whole cinema was packed with people wanting to watch the movie. And, quite frankly, it didn’t disappoint. Much the contrary! 😉

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes
John
John
1 year ago

Captian Marvel has a lot of people seeing it bc its part of a branded unit

You know what other sucky movie had that?

The Last Jedi

How’d that work out for you @Disney?

Lol!

Well, let’s see… highest-grossing movie of 2017… second-highest-grossing film of the entire Star Wars franchise…

I’d say it worked out pretty well for Disney.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes
1 year ago

I’d say it worked out pretty well for Disney.

lol, are they still all “The Last Jedi was a disaster for Disney!” over there? They really don’t understand that facts don’t care about their feelings I guess. Just because they didn’t like it doesn’t mean no one else did either.

Robert
Robert
1 year ago

My 21 year old son has already asked my husband to go see Captain Marvel with him. I feel sure if I told him about the whinging chuzzlewits in the OP, he would be utterly gobsmacked.

Amusingly enough, our household – two dads, two sons – has been described as ‘overwhelmingly masculine’ by friends of ours. Despite that, there’s no misogyny evident. Go figure.

Anonymous
Anonymous
1 year ago

(Scratches head) Come to think of it, even if there *were* some weird feminist conspiracy to make the movie seem better than it is, it would hardly have been worth the outrage these guys exhibit.

Annymous
Annymous

Scildfredda –

The prequels and sequels of the original “Star Wars” trilogy are to my mind pointness, since rhe charm of the original is in its fairy-tale quality, and nobody cares how the evil father *became* evil, or whether or not Cinderella and Prince Charming *did* in fact live happily ever after. But that is another doscussion…

Turan, Emissary of the Fly World
Turan, Emissary of the Fly World
1 year ago

This is the best response I have seen to Posobiec’s rantings:

comment image

Jane Done
Jane Done
1 year ago

Ooo, someone referred to me in my absence. Does that mean my mammoth level has increased? Have I levelled up from caviling lurker to fastidious misandrist?

@Ariblester: I actually have no formal post-secondary education WRT philosophy, english, history etc., just a lot of self research, especially on the topic of anatomy (reading all the peer-reviewed studies), and a lot of pessimistic observation.

OT: I still need to go see the movie, but also need to get a job and monies. Looks good, but then I grew up on b-rated fantasy and scifi (free) vhs rentals from the library, so I’m pretty easy to amuse.

Except anime. Some of my favourite shows are anime. Also the absolute worst things I’ve ever had projected in my eyeholes have been anime. It’s like 95% rapey misogynist dumpster trash and 5% solid gold.

Viscaria
Viscaria

@Jane Done

It’s like 95% rapey misogynist dumpster trash and 5% solid gold.

I have never watched much anime, but as a fan of cheesy romance, I find this statement extremely relatable. Why are the genres/mediums we like so often disappointing?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

My love, horror is like that too.

TB Tabby
TB Tabby
1 year ago

Declaring the source to be lies simply because it didn’t tell them what they wanted to hear.

Despite the fact that they’ve never experienced it, they consider their opinion that it’s crap to not only be reliable, but more reliable than that of others who have experienced it and say it’s good.

Everyone who disagrees with them is one of the three Bs: Biased, Bribed or Brainwashed. Different tastes are a myth to them.

They’re gamers, all right.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes
1 year ago

Welcome to the mammoth, @Geoffrey Rotherham Plastics.

So what if people say mean things about movies?

Because the reason why they say those things about those particular movies turns out to be important.

Do you speak up about women even in your own country living in poverty?

The first one.

@Anonymous,

I’m not a big fan of Star Wars in general! I don’t mind it, but I don’t see what the fuss is about. So I understand where you’re coming from. No doubting that it’s successful, though, and has earned it every step of the way.

Lainy
Lainy

@Turan, Emissary of the fly World

Thank you! that was the gif I wanted but can’t post.

Jane Done
Jane Done
1 year ago

Oh look, someone popped in to vomit up the ol’ “starving children” cliche, as if somehow progress is a FIFO operation and even talking about anything other than the single worst issue in the world is taking away valuable resources from solving that issue.

That’s so last decade. Are you even trying?

@Annymous:

I love star wars, but I don’t much like the movies. Prequels (anakin is so cringy, creepy and rapey), sequels (disney is practically just making elaborate re-runs) and originals (three plucky shmucks somehow take on an entire galaxy of elite supersoldiers and win because their enemies can’t hit the broadside of a barn). Admittedly, the lightsaber fights are all pretty epic.

The comics, books, video games and lore surrounding star wars, as well as the fandom and fan-made content, are what I really love about the universe.

And also lightsabers are freaking cool.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Even with my tiny woman brain, I am actually pretty capable of both mocking dudes who think that superhero media needs to be a male safe space and getting angry about poverty and income inequality. Perhaps poor Geoffrey doesn’t have the multitasking skills.

Onager
Onager
1 year ago

I was pondering that “evidence” they posted of the same review being spammed on the Internet. While I don’t want to counter a conspiracy with a conspiracy, one of the odd things about Russian bit activity was that, while they largely posted on reactionary topics, some would take the opposite position. Now it is often difficult to figure out someone’s motivation for posting online but it does make you wonder where those reviews came from: a Soros-funded conspiracy wouldn’t be stupid enough to post those, as we can see where people pay for reviews on Amazon it is cheap enough to get unique reviews. However, if anyone was looking to muddy the waters… It’d be interesting to see what the results were if someone looked into this kind of activity.

@Crip Dyke and Weatherwax

I did start worrying that our previous posts would be screenshot and posted to the very worst parts of Reddit as evidence of a conspiracy. Then I relaxed when I realised only a moron would miss the sarcasm…. Uh oh.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
1 year ago

The little four-screen “multiplex” here in Podunk, Ontario was jam-packed on what would ordinarily be its quietest night, Tuesday. I saw people dressed up as Spider-Man and overheard the word “Marvel” a lot, so it was fairly clear what most of them were there to see. Perhaps 1/2 to 2/3 of the seats were taken by curtain-up, which is the second busiest I’ve ever seen a Tuesday screening here (the busiest was Black Panther the Tuesday after opening weekend, and the busiest I’ve seen it on a non-Tuesday was a Saturday showing of Jurassic World that was nearly standing room only).

I’ve been seeing known right-wingers in several places online claiming theaters were mostly empty or much quieter than usual and suggesting the box office numbers were inflated; I didn’t expect that to be true, and surprise surprise, it wasn’t true.

Of course, I can’t rule out many of the random-looking people I saw being paid Soros audience plants or something. /s 😀

(In fact I doubt the kind of fakery the right is claiming can happen. Surely there are audits and accounting and the like to verify this stuff? If only to keep cinemas from screwing studios out of revenue and vice-versa? That’s if the SEC and the like didn’t get involved making sure the studios aren’t inflating earnings reports to shareholders. No real conspiracy to inflate box office receipts would last long before being exposed by actual credentialed investigatory agencies and not just some random pundits on the internet.)

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Onager:

Then I relaxed when I realised only a moron would miss the sarcasm…. Uh oh.

One of my favourite lines from Guided by the Beauty of their Weapons, which was an analysis of the whole ‘Sad Puppy’ mess and the attempt at taking over the Hugo awards, was near the end. Sandifer talked about a comic called Uber

So the result is a brutally well thought out dissection of the intersections between the idea of the superhero and the fascist hero in all its post-Nietzschean glory. It’s right there in the title, Uber , a direct invocation of the idea of the ubermensch. Because make no mistake – the book is anti-fascist.
[…]
The only reason Theodore Beale could possibly fail to hate it is if he’s too stupid to understand it. Which is, admittedly, a risk.

Crip Dyke
Crip Dyke

First, @Onager:

Then I relaxed when I realised only a moron would miss the sarcasm…. Uh oh.

as you say, Uh oh.

Second:

Okay, HOW IS IT that I didn’t know that Goose the Cat’s name was a Top Gun reference just from the advertising?

I mean it’s not like I saw it in the theater, but I sure as heck saw it on VHS when my mom wanted to pause on topless fighter jocks (I was even the one who melted the butter for the popcorn – don’t ask me why I remember that, it was just always my job when we made popcorn) and I saw it a couple times at the house of my friend with HBO. I know that the lovable asshole from Real Genius was in it. I know it’s the movie that made my older sister start singing, “You’ve got that loving feeling,” all the time. I know literally every single important thing to know about that movie, but it didn’t occur to me that Goose was named after Goose?

I am all the idiot.

Jane Done
Jane Done

*sigh*

Yet another formerly favourite youtuber of mine has revealed himself to be a pearl-clutching centrist douchebag.

I have a passing interest in HEMA, but I know that the majority of the men in it are raging bigots (even here in the supposed leftist paradise of west coast canada, one of the local HEMA academies is infamous for being severely racist, sexist, homophobic and xenophobic), so I’m constantly on guard for the slightest wiff of dudebro mannerisms, much the same way as I am wary of anything more than surface friendship with every man I’ve worked with in construction or warehousing.

Side note, I dunno what it is that makes so many high-intensity physical jobs and hobbies attract so many blazing scumbags. Is excess testosterone unhealthy for men? On the other hand, it might just be coincidence, but a lot of female athletes seem to be leading the new wave of feminist leadership in this generation.

Anyway, one of the HEMA youtubers I used to watch pops up out of nowhere to unload his hate on Captain Marvel. Thanks to my frequenting of WHTM, I knew instantly from the dozens and dozens of “Alita” comments exactly what was up, even before he barfed up his “politics don’t belong in movies” dogwhistle.

I’d like to thank David for his hard work, makes it so much easier to cut away the miles and miles of loaded language that right-wingers and their centrist enablers shroud themselves in, and makes it so much easier to cut out toxic ideology before it has months or years to wear me out.

In other better news it looks like I’ll be getting a new job in a few days so I can help put my money where my mouth is.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation