#gamergate alt-lite cringe entitled babies evil SJWs gaslighting irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny nerd rage none dare call it conspiracy TROOOLLLL!!

With Captain Marvel on track for a blockbuster opening weekend, angry boycotters are claiming the box office numbers are an SJW hoax

By David Futrelle

Reactionary dinguses and #Gamergate leftovers have been raging against Captain Marvel for weeks (months?) now, claiming that the movie is little more than secret SJW propaganda designed to genocide white men or something. Now that the movie has hit theaters at last, you might be wondering how well their Captain Marvel boycott is going?

Not very, it turns out. Far from tanking, the film is actually racking up impressive numbers at the box office, with industry observers currently projecting a $150-$160 million weekend in North American theaters alone, way up from initial projections of $100 million.

So how is the angry mob responding? By declaring the box office numbers to be a big hoax, fake news, no collusion! (Oh, wait, they actually think there is collusion.)

Naturally, the positive reviews the film have gotten are supposedly fake as well:

As it turns out, there actually ARE some fake positive reviews of the movie out there. Namely 100 or so identically worded reviews up on Google. So of course the Captain Marvel foes — who only a few weeks ago bombarded Rotten Tomatoes with so many “don’t want to see” votes that the site disabled that feature — are now accusing SJWs and/or Disney of fraud.

Huh. So a huge multinational corporation pushing a major film is going to try to game the reviews by … hiring some troll to post 100 literally identical reviews on Google? Knowing that anyone who saw more than one of the reviews would instantly realize they were fake? I’d say the chance that Disney (or even freelance SJW “shills”) are behind this, rather than some anti-Captain Marvel troll trying to make Disney look bad, are probably about, well, one in 160 million.

Even Jack Posobiec, the Nazi-adjacent professional troll who’s been pushing for people to see Alita: Battle Angel instead of Captain Marvel, has been sounding a bit defensive today:

You know you’re WINNING when all you can offer is excuses.

UPDATE: The numbers from Saturday night are in:

Captain Marvel, starring Brie Larson, shattered the glass ceiling in its box office debut with $455 million in worldwide ticket sales, including $153 million in North America.

The tentpole’s global launch reps the biggest ever for a female-fronted film — eclipsing Beauty and the Beast ($357 million) — as well as the second-largest for any superhero pic behind Avengers: Infinity War ($640.5 million). Overall, it’s the sixth-best worldwide bow of all time, and the international opening of $302 million is the fifth-biggest ever ahead of Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($281 million).

Mexican Hot Chocolate
Mexican Hot Chocolate
1 year ago

Imagine being so threatened by a popcorn movie because it features a female lead. It’d be funny if it weren’t so pathetic.

footprints in wet clay
footprints in wet clay
1 year ago

That Jack Posobiec character seems to have quite an inflated sense of self importance.

And considering how he’s a known plagiarist and offers no apology for it, the guy certainly has delusions of adequacy to go with it.

Specialffrog
Specialffrog
1 year ago

When they say each Star Wars movie since Last Jedi has tanked they know that there was only one, right?

Second Meerkat on the Left
Second Meerkat on the Left
1 year ago

I went to see it yesterday with not one, but two men of my acquaintance, both of whom are science-and-engineering-types. We all thought it was fun. I don’t expect a fun movie to change the world, myself. Ah, well, logic is not what we expect from certain….sources.

Victorious Parasol
1 year ago

I’m assuming most of the decision-makers at Disney would look bewildered and say, “Poso who?”

Cat Mara
Cat Mara
1 year ago

The confidence of a mediocre white man, indeed…

August
August
1 year ago

So if Captain Marvel makes way closer to 100 million than 160 million, you admit your entire SJW worldview is a fraud. Good to know.

Otrame
Otrame
1 year ago

Look, I love a good popcorn movie. I don’t need Captain Marvel to be some deep-thought impressionist movie. I prefer shot ‘em ups. If the shoot ‘em up has a good plot or gets into an interesting question, or has good actors making real people out of comic book characters, all the better. And I really couldn’t care less if the genitals of the hero are innies or outies.

Just imagine being so tied up in the manosphere that you can’t enjoy a popcorn movie.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Tree Larson? Is that supposed to be a sick burn. I don’t even get it? Is there some sort of significance beyond tree and Brie rhyming? Are trees supposed to be bad? Because I really like trees! They’re pretty, they’re tall, they house all sorts of birds and other animals, they provide shade on hot days, their wood is very useful, maple syrup comes from them, many fruits and nuts come from them and they make our air breathable for us. So where’s the insult?

JenniferAndLightning
JenniferAndLightning
1 year ago

I saw it last night and thought it was great, but I am a long time Marvel geek who will likely never tire of the MCU. The only downside was that even my sleepy little theater was packed. The only time I have ever seen that mall so crowded has been Christmas and the ushers had to redirect people so that we didn’t leave isolated seats open because it was a full house… for the 6:30pm showing.

Fabe
Fabe

@JenniferAndLightning

(sarcasm mode) Well the only Logical Explanation for that has to be the Disney payed all those other People to be there in order to make it look like Captain Marvel is a moive that people actually want to see.

Fabe
Fabe
1 year ago

Maybe they were trying to say her acting is ‘wooden’ and/or She’s a dumb as a tree? But even then it’s a pretty weak insult.

Bakunin
Bakunin
1 year ago

If I was on the Alita promo team, I’d be a bit annoyed at Posobiec pushing it for such crap reasons.

Lainy
Lainy
1 year ago

I just saw it. I thought it was great. Goose the ferkin cat stole the show.

Shadowplay

@Lainy

That’s not right fair – it’s in the rules that any cat steal the show in every film they grace with their presence.
(The affinity between cats and horror movies means they’re often by far the best actors in the show, too)

Liked it: my review, such as it is, is on the Brie is a cheese thread.

rikalous
rikalous
1 year ago

I’m just confused about why Alita is the anti-SJW alternative. It’s two hours of a young women learning about the callousness of the privileged class and the importance of social mobility. How do the reactionaries not despise it?

Shadowplay
1 year ago

How do the reactionaries not despise it?

She’s got huge eyes, nice moves, and looks like a sexbot. Anything in there for the fools NOT to like?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Ripley from Alien is one of my favorite characters, but I always root hardest for Jones the cat when I watch it.

rikalous
rikalous
1 year ago

Well, Captain Marvel is also about a conventionally attractive woman kicking ass and it doesn’t seem to help there.

Although I suppose I shouldn’t expect anything better from the people who missed that Star Wars started out as the story of a diverse coalition heroically opposing evil white guys in fashy uniforms.

Shadowplay
1 year ago

Ha! Best bit of Alien for me is a blink and you miss it moment when Jones hisses at the alien (seen only as a shadow, the first time on the Nostromo) and the shadow flinches backwards slightly.

Yep, that’s a cat alright. 🙂

Fujimoto
Fujimoto
1 year ago

All I can conclude is that they didn’t hear any feminists excited for Battle Angel, saw the Rotten Tomato consensus was mixed, found that no one involved with the movie had made any overt calls for social justice and then assumed that meant the social justice side hated it, so they latched on to Battle Angel as an alternative to Captain Marvel. Joke’s on them since after it debuted Rosa Salazar happily framed Battle Angel as a pro-immigration, anti-Trump wall story.

I personally liked Battle Angel, although it has some of the worst dialogue I’ve ever heard in a movie and hated how it killed all but one of the Black characters. I want to see Captain Marvel soon too.

Talonknife
Talonknife
1 year ago

Went with the family to see Captain Marvel at the end of my last day at home (and we were almost late to a prior weekend plan because of it, totally worth it.) No spoilers, but I totally called to my brother how Nick Fury lost his eye. It was probably one of my favorite Marvel movies so far. How hard do you think the Nazis’ heads would explode if you told them that none of the main heroes are white men? The closest thing is Agent Coulson and he gets all of about two scenes.

I’m planning on seeing Alita at some point as well, although probably not in theaters. A guy I watch a lot on YouTube (D from NODE) got to hang out with the cast and was giving the film a good endorsement on Twitter, so that definitely puts it on my radar. I was also pretty impressed with the CGI. It may not be the best movie ever made, but it seems entertaining enough.

Lainy
Lainy

@Talonknife

The best part of that in prior movies fury has said “the last time I trusted someone I lost an eye”so he’s really salty about this betrayal even though it seems they made up.

tim gueguen
1 year ago

I would imagine some of the “George Soros pays for everything I hate!” crowd will latch on to this.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles
1 year ago

These people are really bad at making the movies they dislike tank. It’s almost like they don’t have an impact. Then again when it comes to products like razors and more apparently sales get raised by riling them up.

Anonymous
Anonymous
1 year ago

Some “feminized” movies succeed (Wonder woman, Captain Marvel) some fail (ghostbusters remake, supergirl). My god, it’s as if what matters is if the movie is good/fun/cool or not, not the sex of the fictional characters…

kupo
kupo

@anonymous
Are you going to answer my question from the other thread?

229 million on a 144 million budget is a lemon? What a success, in your eyes?

Viscaria
Viscaria
1 year ago

So far the Captain Marvel reviews remind me exactly why I pay little to no attention to critics. They always crap on movies that are fun but don’t match their “elevated” sensibilities, yet always boost movies that aren’t fun because they do.

It’s so true. Captain Marvel, the most recent film in an incredibly popular and profitable superhero franchise, is your archetypal Oscar bait, critics love it, audiences hate it kind of film. I just watched it today, and I’ve got to say my favourite bit was the 40 minute lecture on Sartre.

Roland
1 year ago

If anything, people should be boycotting it for being Air Force propaganda.

Pie
Pie

@kupo

@anonymous
Are you going to answer my question from the other thread?

229 million on a 144 million budget is a lemon? What a success, in your eyes?

I’m merely pseudonymous, but I will point out that production costs don’t include marketing costs, which could exceed 100 million. I don’t know if the true cost of a film is available to anyone who isn’t a big investor, though, so who knows.

Nikki the Bluth Wannabe
Nikki the Bluth Wannabe
1 year ago

Joining the Goose love here. I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I have seen a quick scene where Fury crouches down and makes over Goose (it’s 0:07-0:12 in this IMDb video).
Apparently even Nick Fury, professional badass, is not immune to the charms of a cute kitty.

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)

tim gueguen:

Just wait till the anti-SJW cranks develop a routine of assuming that all of the big budget SJWhero films that Hollywood keeps cranking out must be secretly unprofitable. Eventually, some of them start asking who’s paying for it.

Cindy
Cindy
1 year ago

The reason these goobers pretend to like Alita is for plausible deniability. “See, we like this film with a feeeeeeeemale in it!”

Wetherby
Wetherby
1 year ago

Indeed – a $229 million gross from a $144 million budget most likely is loss-making. You’re right that it’s impossible to be certain of this outside the studio accounting department, but the generally accepted rule of thumb is that a big Hollywood film has to make between two and three times its production budget to break even – not just because of marketing but also distribution and exhibition (i.e. with cinemas quite rightly creaming off their own share).

By contrast, Spike Lee’s BlacKkKlansman only grossed $90 million but is a solid hit because it cost a mere $15 million to make – so even according to the 3x rule half that gross represents solid profit.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara
moregeekthan
moregeekthan
1 year ago

My daughter and I saw this yesterday. It’s a typical formulaic MCU movie, but that’s not a bad thing. We both liked it.

TheKND
TheKND

@Cat Mara

This… this is a joke, right? Someone thought “Hey, wouldn’t it be fun if I wrote a satirical piece about some asshole writing a negative movie-review-style about their date!”. This isn’t real! PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN’T REAL!
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
MUST END SPECIES!

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I love how the guy gives a huge list of the reasons he finds her unattractive and then says she needs more confidence.

I also took note of the fact that he’s upset she offered to pay. All the men who whine about how oppressed they are because they pay for dates never believe women when we say a lot of men hang their masculinity on paying for dates and feel threatened when women pay or offer to. Well, there’s the receipts.

Bakunin
Bakunin
1 year ago

So if the box office returns are bad, it’s proof of how powerful the Fashys are, but if the returns are good, it’s proof of cheating?

In an unrelated story, some flat-Earthers got a high precision gyroscope to show how the Earth is flat. The gyro wobbled, exactly like previous experiments showing the motion of the Earth, so they concluded it was broken.

Totally unrelated

Drungarios
Drungarios
1 year ago

I’m also kinda surprised they’re trying to drive a wedge between Captain Marvel and Alita. They’re fairly similar films-both feature superpowered amnesiac women trying to discover their pasts and fight oppressive forces (though, ironically, Alita is *way* more overt about it).

Personally, I liked Alita better, but then again I’m deeply attached to the source material, so I’m a bit biased. Captain Marvel *was* good, though, really enjoyable. I do wish they’d done a little more with her character, though Nick Fury chewing scenery didn’t help (though, I’ll admit it, I loved every second of it).

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

@TheKND, @weirwoodtreehugger:

AGENDA FOR OUR NEXT DATE

– You need to smile more
– The blockchain explained (with slides)

Catalpa
Catalpa
1 year ago

On top of the fragile masculinity, I suspect that for a lot of these dudes want to pay for the date so that they can have the woman “owe” them, so that they can have a “debt” they can leverage for sex/kisses/etc.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara
1 year ago

@Catalpa: I suspect that’s totally it. The guy perceives a bargaining chip has been taken from him though, of course, he can’t come right out and admit it. It explains the peevish tone of his message.

Ariblester
Ariblester
1 year ago

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee wrote on
March 10, 2019 at 9:39 am:

[…] All the men who whine about how oppressed they are because they pay for dates never believe women when we say a lot of men hang their masculinity on paying for dates and feel threatened when women pay or offer to. Well, there’s the receipts.

Nah, those guys are just so cucked that they are imagining that they are asserting their masculinity, while playing into the hands of their oppressors. You know, like Engels’s concept of false consciousness.

(/s, please don’t kill me @Bakunin, @Dalilama, @Jane Done et al. for butchering Engels)

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
1 year ago

Honestly (not really; actually “sarcastically”), I envy the igno-right. As a former debate team member, I can see how incredibly easy it would be to prove your point when “all the evidence against my point is faked and all the experts who oppose me are lying” is considered a valid argument….

Moggie
Moggie

On Alita versus Captain Marvel:

Alita is a standalone property, whereas Captain Marvel is part of the MCU, a huge franchise juggernaut which might continue to dominate cinema for years to come. If MCU becomes essjewy, that represents a much bigger threat to these guys’ world.

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
1 year ago

Annnd… the dumpster fire has called Ann Coulter a “wacky nut job” for saying he wimped on funding The Wall….

She tweeted “the only national emergency is our president is an idiot”. While I’m pleased she’s noticed, I gotta say, you elect a clown, you get a circus.

Let the frending feezy begin!

Popcorn?

Moggie
Moggie

@Cat Mara:

Oh God, that date!

Get a fake tan, dye your hair, get hair extensions, plump up your lips, emphasise your cleavage… oh, and look more natural!

Be more self-confident, like me, but don’t talk about your life, only about me and my bank balance, because I need to be complimented all the time.

If you don’t laugh at my jokes, one of us doesn’t have a good sense of humour, and it can’t possibly be me!

In summary: you suck. Have a good day, and keep in touch!

Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie
Weird (and tired of trumplings) Eddie

Re: Kimberly’s date

I… uhhh… awk*squeek

Lemme explain the concept of human interaction to you, my brother… cuz you ain’t gettin’ it.

Fabe
Fabe

@Bakunin

Totally unrelated

Yeah ever since Netflix released the documentary “Behind the curve” the flat earth community has been scrambling to do damage control . Right now those featured in the documentary are being accused of being payed opposition shills for NASA by other flat earthers.

1 2 3