alt-lite alt-right anti-Semitism brett kavanaugh cultural marxism dozens of upvotes entitled babies evil SJWs homophobia hypocrisy irony alert jordan "slappy" peterson literal nazis male supremacy men created civilization men invented everything men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny oppressed men oppressed white men playing the victim racism reddit transphobia

Jordan Peterson fans: “Embracing victimhood” is pathetic, unless you’re a white guy who wants to be Captain Marvel or run a med school or something

Hands up, white man! You’re CANCELLED

By David Futrelle

Browsing the Jordan Peterson subreddit today, I scrolled past the link to an article on a right-wing clickbait site asserting that “Hate Crime Hoaxes are More Common than You Think.”

I paused for a moment at a post denouncing “More State Enforced Cultural Marxism” — by which the OP meant programs to teach children that gay and trans people exist. I sighed a little at the post declaring that “It is time to talk about female privilege.” (Pretty sure it isn’t.)

But I stopped dead at this post:

I honestly can’t imagine a more miserable existence than living a life spent embracing victimhood

Was this person reading the same subreddit I was? I scrolled up to the top of the page. Yep, I was remembering correctly: this was still the literal top unstickied post, with more than 200 upvotes, complaining about a joke on Twitter suggesting that perhaps it was a teensy bit silly for white dudes to get quite so bent out of shape about a woman playing Captain Marvel:

Toxic masculinity is bad. Also, every feeling (white) men have is worthless and invalid. Upvotes to the left!

Huh, I wondered. Was it possible that perhaps the victimhood-lamenters of the Jordan Peterson subreddit kind of, sort of, like playing the victims themselves?

No, I thought, that couldn’t be true.That would be too hypocritical, even for them, I must be wrong.

I mean, it’s not like the Jordan Peterson subreddit is chock-full of whiny laments by white dudes convinced they’re being denied their rightful share of success by evil SJWs and unqualified people of color.

Oh wait.

I've been told that the film industry now has quotas for white males working on shows (e.g. as writers), and will flat out refuse to hire otherwise-qualified people if they're a white male.
How to deal with the demonization of being a white male
Kavanaugh Shows Any White, Male Scalp Will Do For Progressives
Apple diversity VP has to apologize for suggesting there is diversity amongst "12 white men"

It’s not like some of them have convinced themselves that “neo-Marxist” SJWs and uppity “Black Females” are conspiring to destroy their careers, deny them healthcare, and take away their right to vote.

Black Female Yale University Newspaper Editor Urges Students to Spy on White Male Classmates to Be Able to Ruin Their Careers in the Future
Universal Health Care... For Everyone But White Men
Not even trying to hide the neo-Marxist agenda: Could It Be Time To Deny White Men The Franchise?

It’s not like they’re furious that men might no longer be celebrated as the noble heroes responsible for every good thing accomplished in the history of Western Civilization — including all a dose paintings by da ottist youse all may know as da Vince!

No Heroes For The West. This Time: da Vince; Yet Another Example of How Cultural Marxists Won't Rest Until Every White Male in The Western Canon is Viewed as a Monster.

It’s not like they’re furious at the SJW’s supposed anti-white-male-doctor agenda — whether the doctors in question are real or fictional.

Harvard Medical School removes 31 portraits of former dept. heads because they are all white men
"It's a mistake to think that the only heroes are white men" says New Doctor Who star Jodie Whittaker

In the comments to that post, one of the more reasonable Jordan Peterson fans concedes that maybe only “97-98 out of a 100” real-world heroes are men.

It must be hard for members of such a truly oppressed class to ward off the temptation to play the victim. I, for one, salute the denizens of the Jordan Peterson subreddit for their heroism in standing up against victimhood culture.

NOTE FOR EXTREMELY LITERAL-MINDED READERS: Post may contain sarcasm.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
1 year ago

Incontinence combined with weakness in the hind limbs suggests a possible spinal injury or similar problem. It’s almost certainly a CNS problem, and therefore serious. 🙁

Meantime, some food for thought:

Lainy
Lainy

@ Kupo and Susan

Thank you. I’m gonna make him a vet appointment and hope for the best. I’m really hoping he’s just crapping in the bed to protest something and its not incontinences. At first I thought it was accident because he a long hair fluffy ball and sometimes it get caught in his hair around his bum. But it keeps happening so either he’s doing it on purpose to tell me something or he can’t help it. He’s not peeing or spaying anywhere though like cats normally do when their upset about something.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs
1 year ago

Might not be relevant at all, but … our (elderly) dog has always had slightly weaker back legs and now with advancing age her back legs are distinctly weak and wobbly. This makes it more difficult to adopt and maintain the having-a-crap position, which may – I don’t know, but may – have something to do with the fact that she is quite often incontinent lately; only wrt crapping indoors sometimes, though – holding on until she can pee outside has never yet been a problem (and of course the muscles involved and the position are a bit different).

I think she leaves it too long, and then can’t make it to the garden quickly enough. So I just wondered if something similar might be happening with your cat, Lainy – it’s harder to control the position, so he leaves it until it’s kind of too late and then doesn’t make it to the litter box in time, is that a possibility?

Anyway, it’s just a thought – I hope you can find out what the problem is and alleviate it. Wishing you and cat all the best :-s

Snowberry
Snowberry
1 year ago

Off topic, but I’ve been reading about the recent extinction of the Bramble Cay Melomys – believed to have died out sometime in the past decade due to their habitat becoming flooded with seawater, but only recently confirmed – and I’ve been seeing comments from climate-change deniers and flat-earthers, who are declaring this a hoax. I used be able to make sense of their stupid most of the time, but now some of them seem to be subscribing to an entirely new model of physics that bears, at most, only a superficial resemblance to anything real. Plus criticism of the very concept of peer review as if it were a form of groupthink. Makes me want to scream “Where did you get your education, Honest Jeff’s Discount Science Academy (might not be pseudoscience)?”

Lainy
Lainy

@ Opposablethumbs

It could be a possibility. I have found him craping on the stairs that go down stairs to his little box, and I have found him crapping near the little box. He has sometimes crapped in the room where the litter box is but not in it. That one took forever to find because I had a plastic bag full of clothes to take to donate. My other Cat, who is only a few years old found where he crapped and covered it with that plastic bag thinking she was helping. I mean I know that was her because jessie has never covered his crapped, even when he was a kitten. The other cat does it for him.

kupo
kupo
1 year ago

I’ve also heard that when the back legs get weak sometimes they prefer to crap in shallower litter boxes, so that is a possibility.

Scildfreja Unnyðnes
Scildfreja Unnyðnes
1 year ago

It does sound sort of like it’s a “can’t get into the litter box” probbo for your little sweetie. Not that I’m suggesting you shouldn’t take him to the vet! It’s always good to get our fuzzy friends a checkup once in awhile, especially cats. They’re so resilient, they don’t really show signs until problems are serious. But if you can find a shallow litter box tray, it may help. I hope it works <3

@Snowberry:
It’s pretty much all conspiracy theories and motivated reasoning at this point. Once someone has decided that:
A) Climate Change can’t be happening
B) Those people who think they’re so smart don’t see what I see
C) Therefore anybody who says Climate Change happens is lying
then that person will find some way to justify away any description of reality as yet another lie.

Some of these people aren’t well-educated and are annoyed at being considered ‘stupid’. The ones that are well educated (though usually in other fields) are often the dangerous ones because they can come up with reasonable-sounding excuses.

Over at Slacktivist, Fred Clark had an article which pointed to a Guardian article on How Facebook and YouTube help spread anti-vaxxer propaganda and added his own generalization:

Basically, Facebook wants to keep people seated on their tour bus instead of wandering the Web on their own. And YouTube just wants people to keep watching videos. This is how they both sell ads, which is the main thing that they both do. And they’ve found that leading people down conspiracy theory rabbit holes keeps them engaged longer than just giving them easy access to true answers based on reality.

Thus we have measles making a big comeback.

And also racism and anti-Semitism. Because this is the trajectory of every conspiracy theory — regardless of how harmless the crack-pottery may seem or how far removed it may be from such things. Whether it’s anti-vaxx nonsense, or 9/11 “truthers,” or Moon-landing hoaxers, or flat-earth contempt for truth, or Southern border “invasions,” or “ancient astronaut” gobbledygook — adherents of all such theories eventually, inexorably will start babbling also about “the Jews.” And that is a Very Bad thing.

I’ve said before that the Internet is great at community-building, it just doesn’t care very much about what sorts of communities it builds. And people have been talking for a while about how Facebook and the like make it effortless to seal yourself in a bubble of seeing only the sort of ‘news’ you want.

The idea that ‘you may also like’ recommendation algorithms are helping to foster the breakdown of society is a disturbing one, but I can’t entirely find fault with the logic.

Bookworm in hijab
Bookworm in hijab
1 year ago

Re Marvel: My daughter is totally in love with the new(ish?) Ms. Marvel. I was never a big comics fan and honestly if it weren’t for Ms. Marvel I still wouldn’t be, but we both love it. Wonder what Jordan Peterson and his ilk think of it (actually I’m not sure I want to know).

Let’s see if I can add an image…

And this:

I suspect hate crimes are, if anything, UNDER-reported.

Bookworm in hijab
Bookworm in hijab
1 year ago

Oops. Nope. That didn’t work. None of those should be links; I was trying to link to a Wiki photo of Ms. Marvel. Le sigh…

What’s this I’ve been hearing about a blockquote monster?

@Bookworm in hajib:
The ‘blockquote monster’ is when you manage to mis-handle the blockquote tags.

As for the image, you missed the ‘:’ between ‘https’ and ‘//’, for one thing. Basically, you need to include the full URL, and if the URL ends with a ‘.jpg’ or ‘.gif’ it will usually get auto-installed. So:

becomes

comment image

(In the first line, I put : in place of the ‘:’ and . in place of the ‘.’ to hopefully prevent WordPress from doing the autoconversion.)

Snowberry
Snowberry

@Jenora Feuer:

I would hardly be surprised at this point, but at the same time, it’s rather alien to my own experiences. I don’t use Facebook, or Twitter, or Reddit, or Pinterest, or Instagram, or much of anything really.

I mean, I do use eBay and Amazon occasionally when I can’t easily find/get something elsewhere. And I do visit YouTube from time to time, to see if there’s any videos of something in particular. And, okay, maybe a few random videos from PBS’s Space Time or Kurgesagt. And Fetlife, if that counts as a major site. And fine, I use Google as a search engine the most often. But basically, the big names see little or none of my patronage, because frankly, I’ve never needed them. I can wander the internet on my own just fine, and I don’t want anyone trying to shunt me into an information bubble, thank you very much. Admittedly, that wasn’t the reason why my internet habits developed that way, but I’m glad they did.

But that leaves me with a blind spot – I actually don’t know what it’s like for people to be trapped in an information bubble.

Yay, it worked.

And, Bookworm in hijab, I’m sorry for mis-typing your ‘nym in the previous comment.

1 year ago

And I should have said at the end ‘I put : in place of ‘:’ and . in place of ‘.’ to prevent WordPress from doing the autoconversion.’ Now I remember why I don’t mess with direct HTML too often.

1 year ago

Arrg, how does that get re-rendered? I meant &#58; for ‘:’. Let’s see WordPress re-interpret THAT.

Bookworm in hijab
Bookworm in hijab

@ Jenora Feuer,

Thanks! And that’s exactly the pic I was after. 😀

I don’t comment on internet stuff very often….actually, discovering this site has caused a huge jump in online time for me (worth it!), so I usually feel very clumsy with things like this. I have been inordinately pleased with the fact that I’ve successfully quoted before…

Robert
Robert
1 year ago

I first encountered Monica Rambeau in “Nextwave”, which was ridiculously entertaining.

Phaos
Phaos
1 year ago

This is kind of apropos of nothing but I’m thinking again of incels who are convinced trans women are just guys trying to get on some kind of sweet lady gravy train due to a present unpleasant situation. See, my facial hair is really quite dark for my skin tone so even getting a very close shave leaves me with a shadow that’s very hard to entirely mask. Since these little terrorists won’t listen to reason, I’m being forced to unleash my dogs of war on them. And as I’m sure you’re aware, this is going to hurt me much more than it’ll hurt them. But yeah, I’m totally luckier than any billionaire or whatever it was they maintained.

Bina
1 year ago

Embracing victimhood is pathetic, say pathetic men embracing their white male victimhood…

And you know something? For once, I’m inclined to actually agree with them.

@Snowberry:
I don’t use Facebook, or Twitter, or Instagram, or most of the big sites. I have a tendency to find a thing I like and stick to it, and I’m old enough to have been on Usenet, predating the development of the Web entirely. I was still using AIM up to the day it finally shut down. (I use Discord for that now.)

The thing is, especially in areas which didn’t get significant Internet access until relatively recently, for many folks Facebook is the Internet, as they rarely go anywhere else except maybe to follow links from Facebook, before going right back there. And that’s exactly the way Facebook wants it, because they sell advertising. It’s also the way that a number of countries want it, because it’s a lot easier to control what people see if you can just lean on one company. And if the people there don’t know any better because Facebook was already their front page or the default on their smartphone… why would they think to look anywhere else?

It’s the old network TV model: the users aren’t the customers, they’re the product, and they’re being sold to the advertisers who are the real customers.

@Bookworm in hijab:
I’ll admit I was more of a DC person than a Marvel person when it came to comics, so the first time I’d heard of the new Ms Marvel was from Elizabeth Sandifer’s article on the whole mess with the ‘Rabid Puppies’ and their hijacking of the Hugo Awards in SF, Guided by the Beauty of Their Weapons, because it was one of the finalists for the Hugo Award (it would later win, but the winners hadn’t been announced when the essay was written).

To quite from the article:

It’s also just a fantastic comic. But more to the point, it’s a demonstration of how fundamentally wrong Beale, Torgersen, and all their supporters are. Because the entire reason the comic is good is the diversity it introduces. As I said, it’s on one level a rehash of the old Lee/Ditko Spider-Man stories – exactly the sort of “nothing new under the sun” comic that Torgersen would seemingly prefer. It’s about power and responsibility and growing up. Alphona’s scratchily cartoonish style even feels like a modern day equivalent to Ditko’s paranoidly visionary linework. If what you want is raw originality of ideas, Sex Criminals would beat it hands down.

Except that it turns out that taking the Spider-Man story and moving it from Brooklyn to Jersey City (and Ms. Marvel is fiercely and passionately from Jersey City, with an explicit ethos of taking care of her local community), grounding its ethics in a progressive vision of Islam (one that is not naive about the existence of other visions – Ms. Marvel’s older brother is a bit of a closed-minded bigot who is oppressively protective of his sister), and making the main character a millennial female geek (she has a team-up with Wolverine in which she gushes to him about the fanfic she wrote about him and Storm before, as is the nature of such team-ups, winning him over and convincing him of her worth as a superhero) makes it fresh and interesting again.

In other words, having a perspective on superhero comics based on something other than the white male father figure is good and interesting, and makes for better comics. Aside from any progressive argument for the value of having a teenage Pakistani-American Muslim girl as a superhero, doing so just plain turns out to be more interesting than white boys have been in years, for the simple and obvious fact that it’s something that we haven’t seen before instead of something we’ve been seeing over and over again since the 1960s. Ms. Marvel is awesome for the exact and specific reasons that Brad Torgersen and Theodore Beale are fools.

Simon
Simon
1 year ago

Gynandromorph lobster to confuse the Peterson fans.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

@Robert:

I am enough of An Old to remember Monica Rambeau when she was Captain Marvel but enjoyed seeing her again in Nextwave. “Ridiculously entertaining” is a good way of summing up that comic: it is a deliriously over-the-top celebration of superhero comics for their own sake, a comic that delights in its own absurdity and blows a raspberry in the face of every po-faced grimdark plotline ever. As the author himself (quoted over on TV Tropes) put it:

“I took The Authority and I stripped out all the plots, logic, character and sanity. (…) It’s an absolute distillation of the superhero genre. No plot lines, characters, emotions, nothing whatsoever. It’s people posing in the street for no good reason. It is people getting kicked, and then exploding. It is a pure comic book, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. And afterwards, they will explode.”

(It’s also quite a feminist comic under all the mockery in that there are more women members on the Nextwave team than men– almost unheard-of for superhero teams– and they are far more competent than their male counterparts. Well, mostly more competent.)

kupo
kupo

@Nequam
That tweet is perfect.

Malitia
Malitia
1 year ago

Random upcomming Ms. Marvel covers because why not…
comment image
comment image

Who?
Who?
1 year ago

Yeah to the Captain Marvelmovie and yeah to the Shazammovie (which trailer looks also good), Ms Marvel is a great character.
There is a conection to Monica Rambeau in the Captain Marvelmovie btw.
I like Warren Elis (writer of Nextwave) quite a bit.

Life is to short to see only the bad thinks.

Rhuu - apparently an illiterati
Rhuu - apparently an illiterati

THAT TWEET!!!!

Maybe it’ll preview…

It’s a little simpler.

Hrmmm… didn’t. It says:

I was trying to explain Jordan Peterson and his meat diet to someone earlier today and I called him “Gwyneth Paltrow but for incels” and I feel like I’ve cracked a code

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit
1 year ago

Jessica Valenti is an international treasure.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

@Who?:

I like Warren Elis (writer of Nextwave) quite a bit.

Me too. I first heard about Laurie Penny from him. And he bought his daughter a pony with the money he got when they made Red into a film, which is some Top Dadding IMO.

(For anyone wanting to check out his work without stumping up for the price of a trade paperback, he did a free webcomic a few years ago with an artist called Paul Duffield called FreakAngels, the plot of which was: what if the kids from Village of the Damned grew up? The original site seems to have rotted but the Wayback Machine has it)

(Note: Not to be confused with the other Warren Ellis who is a violin player from Australia and plays in bands like the Bad Seeds, Grinderman and the Dirty Three. He’s awesome too, mind, just in an altogether different field of human endeavour. They have been mistaken for one another on occasion which has made for some spectacularly bonkers interviews… )

Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
Lumipuna (nee Arctic Ape)
1 year ago

Jessica Valenti is an international treasure.

I’ve been long amused by the quip in her Twitter bio, “My bitch face never rests”. So I’ve been randomly thinking up other variations of the “resting bitch face” meme.

restless bitch face
testing glitch face
testing switch ace

and so on

Gender Superposition
Gender Superposition

@Phaos:

I have the same issue. If you can, now or at some time, afford it, it does make you a good candidate for laser hair removal. It’s a long but rewarding process.

@Nequam:

that tweet is everything. At least JBP didn’t name his daughter Steak I guess.

@everybody:

Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel is the best thing to happen to Marvel since the MCU.

@people talking about a Shazam movie:

I, too, wanted Shaquille O’Neal to play the genie in the live action Aladdin. /Joke

@Lumipuna

Personally my bitch face is ever vigilant.

Moon_custafer
Moon_custafer

arresting stitch face

That’s the one I make when I realized I misread the knitting pattern eight rows back, isn’t it?

Meanwhile “Best-in Bitch Face” is presumably the proud smile of a dog-show winner?

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

@Cat Mara

Wow; I haven’t thought about FreakAngels in years, but I still love it to tiny little bits. I was a bit disappointed when Ellis ended it (although I greatly respect how he ended it).

Arkady for the win, followed by Kait, because friendly-ish authoritarianism requires some interesting intellectual blind-spots (although honestly, Arkady is the only one of the lot who doesn’t have a metric crap-ton of blindspots, and that’s only because she’s cheerfully broken).

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary
1 year ago

So, Shazam is basically the same as Bananaman, in that he’s a child who transforms into an adult superhero?

Lainy
Lainy

@Virgin Mary

Yeah basically. Shazam is one of DC stranger superheros. kind of like Marvels Squirrel girl. That was one super hero I never thought they make a serious film about. But I also though that about Aquaman and I loved that. Basically he defends his disabled foster brother who’s being physically attacked by some bullies and gets away from the bullies. A wizard named Shazam gives him the power to be a super hero. He’s still very much a kid when he turns into Shazam. His foster brother then tries to teach him how to be a superhero because he’s really into superheros. There is a scene where they save like a quick shop from being rob and instead of a money reward they ask the store for like candy and soda and such. From what I’ve seen from the trailer they do pretty well at showing that this is still like a 12- 14 year old boy and not an adult man.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara
1 year ago

@Gaebolga: Kait’s fetish for Quincy M.E. coming out of nowhere is hilarious though.

Miki: D’you remember “Quincy”? Used to be on Sunday afternoons when we were in junior school.
Kait: Don’t you dare talk shit about Quincy.
Miki: There’d be a bloke on his face with eighteen knives on his back and the boss would rule it suicide. And old Quincy would go, “No! It was moider!”

Kait: I fucking loved Quincy. In fact, I would have done Quincy, so less of your lip.
Miki: You would have…
Kait: He was a crimefighting genius and he always had hot young chicks on his boat. Quincy’s cock was a foot long.

😂 I love the expression on Miki’s face in that panel 😂 And then it becomes a running gag in the rest of the comic…

Cat Mara
Cat Mara
1 year ago

By the way, if you think the history of the character of Shazam is complicated, it gets worse! Back when he was still known as Captain Marvel and published by Fawcett Comics, Fawcett licenced him to a British company called Miller & Son who reprinted his comics in the UK, where they sold quite well. Back in the US, DC sued Fawcett for the character’s similarity to Superman (the company that was to become Marvel Comics was not yet known by that name so there were no objections on that front… yet), so Fawcett stopped making Captain Marvel comics and terminated their licence agreement with Miller. Miller, faced with the loss of their cash cow, responded by creating their own superhero called Marvelman whose comics ran in the UK until the 60s.

Then, in the early 80s, an independent comics publisher in the UK called Dez Skinn secured (or believed he did: I told you it was complicated!) the rights to the old Marvelman character for a new anthology comic he was putting together called Warrior and got an up-and-coming young writer called Alan Moore to do a suitably 80s grimdark reboot of the character. Of course, when Marvel Comics, who had come into existence in the interim and for whom Moore was working on their Captain Britain strip, found out there was a character called Marvelman and their bloody star writer was writing it, well, to say they flipped their lid was putting it mildly. The strip got re-christened Miracleman for its American release but its ownership then and since has only grown more fraught. All of this is documented in a book aptly titled Poisoned Chalice by an Irish writer called Pádraig Ó Méalóid. It’s an extremely well-researched bit of comics history. It focuses on the Marvelman/ Miracleman business but its preliminary chapters show how messy the situation already was in the States before the UK angle.

Who?
Who?
1 year ago

And the rights to Miracleman today has Marvel (and there was a lawsuit with Image involved)
Was a bit bussy today, reading a few of the short-fiction nominews for the Nebula. Everyone who likes Fantasy or Science-Fiction should at last have a lock at 4 of them.
Links (to make it easy for David perhaps and mention that this links are of course completly legal) can be found at File 770.

@Cat Mara, Who?:
Elizabeth Sandifer (the person who wrote the ‘Guided by the Beauty of their Weapons’ article about the Rabid Puppies and the Hugo awards) did a whole series of articles called ‘The Last War in Albion’ about the British comic book industry and specifically about the mess between Alan Moore and Grant Morrison. Needless to say, there’s a good chunk of a chapter just on Marvelman/Miracleman, especially since Morrison actually did a short piece involving Kid Miracleman. Pádraig Ó Méalóid is listed as one of the main references.

See http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/and-so-it-begins-the-last-war-in-albion-part-87-october-incident-1966/ for the Morrison-written Marvelman/Miracleman bit.

One of the things I got from reading that is that Alan Moore is very much an example of George Bernard Shaw’s ‘unreasonable man’:

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Yutolia the Green Hash Pronoun Boner
Yutolia the Green Hash Pronoun Boner

@Virgin Mary:

Bananaman!!! I haven’t thought of that in years.

Cat Mara
Cat Mara

@Jenora Feuer:

Someone else quoted Elizabeth Sandifer over on another thread at me! How spooky is that? I’m sure she’d get a kick out of that herself. I’ve been reading “The Last War In Albion” with interest as the chapters come out, it’s marvelous stuff.

Ó Méalóid has a quote from someone in the “Poisoned Chalice” book, something along the lines of, “in the future, we will have no bridges because Alan Moore will have burned them all”. Ouch. And it was said by one of Moore’s friends! Gives you a measure of the guy.

@Cat Mara:
Yeah, she probably would get a kick out of it. There’s definitely a good chunk of occultist in there as well.

“Alan Moore will have burned them all.” Ouch. And yet, this is the man who, in regards to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie, said pretty much ‘I got paid an obscene amount of money so they could use the name’, with the strong implication that they hadn’t used anything else. You can have some respect for a man who means exactly what he says and will stand up for it, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you want to work with him.

Of course, part of the take of The Last War in Albion is that it’s a magical war, and Moore is known as ‘The Magus of Northampton’ for a reason. Then again, if you define ‘magus’ as ‘someone who manipulates symbols in a deliberate attempt at creating metaphorically corresponding changes to the world around them’, it fits without even needing anything outside the known laws of physics. Anybody who’s written a story as a way to change people’s minds or affect the culture in general qualifies.

Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
Surplus to Requirements, Observer of the Vast Blight-Wing Enstupidation
1 year ago

To say nothing of anyone who’s programmed a computer …

Dalillama
Dalillama
1 year ago

To say nothing of anyone who’s programmed a computer …

I can actually think of three fantasy settings off the top of my head where computer programming can literally be magical.

IgnoreSandra
IgnoreSandra

@Dalillama

Warhammer 40k and Shadowrun come to mind immediately for me.

Dalillama
Dalillama
1 year ago

Ok, five. I was thinking of the Laundry files, S.A. Swann’s Broken Crescent, and a book I’ve just forgotten the title of from the early 80s, where someone learns that all the magic circles and stuff work, but only barely, and only if done exactly right. So they program a computer to draw them with perfect accuracy a thousand times a second, and boom: Magic.